Nov 5 - Jehovah's Witness mom dies after denying blood transfusion after giving birth

most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
140 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
193 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
240 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
82 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-05-2007, 09:18 PM         #1
6743 pageviews
174 comments

unkle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nov 5 - Jehovah's Witness mom dies after denying blood transfusion after giving birth

A young mother died hours after giving birth to twins because her faith prohibited a life-saving blood transfusion.

Emma Gough, 22, was able to hold her son and daughter after the natural delivery, but suffered a sudden haemorrhage and lost a great deal of blood.

As a Jehovah's Witness, Mrs Gough had signed a form before the birth insisting that she should not be given blood.

Staff at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital begged her husband Anthony, 24, who is also a Jehovah's Witness, and other relatives to allow the transfusion. But followers believe that blood transfusions are prohibited by the Bible and the family would not sanction the treatment.

Mrs Gough, a shop worker from Dawley, Telford, Shropshire, died early on October 25.

The twins are being cared for by their father, who yesterday led the mourners at his wife's funeral.

Mr Gough said: "We are coping the best we can. There will be an inquest and issues will arise from that."

The couple married on the Caribbean island of Barbados in December 2005 in a ceremony attended by 30 family members and friends.

At the time, Mrs Gough was a secretary working for her husband's gas fitting and plumbing business.

Friends said the Goughs were teenage sweethearts and Emma had been "ecstatic" to learn she was expecting twins.

Their best man, Peter Welch, 24, said Mrs Gough's death had devastated both sides of the family, all Jehovah's Witnesses.

Mr Welch, of Sutton Hill, Telford, said: "We can't believe she died after childbirth in this day and age, with all the technology there is.

"What makes it even more sad is Emma had time to bond with her twins before the complications set in."

Mrs Gough's parents, Glenda and James Delaney, a long- distance lorry driver, were too upset to comment at their Telford home yesterday.

Mr Gough's father, Ian, who runs a car window tinting business, said: "We are awaiting a report from the coroner."

But an elderly neighbour criticised the family for sticking to their beliefs.

She said: "How could she make that decision not to have a transfusion and leave those babies without a mother? It's terrible, I don't care what your beliefs are, to refuse treatment like that is awful."

Another neighbour said: "A friend of the family told us she had suffered a haemorrhage after giving birth to the twins naturally and had refused a transfusion. They couldn't understand why she hadn't been given a Caesarean."

A member of the Kingdom Hall congregation in Madeley, Telford, said: "The basis of the faith is that we follow commands from the scriptures and it is a scriptural command to abstain from blood.

"It is one of a number of things in the scriptures about things you can and cannot do. It is, of course, up to the individual to decide how strongly to follow these requirements. I accept that the faith will receive criticism over this. Some of our beliefs do attract criticism."

He denied that Mrs Gough was being selfish by putting her own beliefs before the needs of her children, adding: "Children are always a priority. We respect life. We seek the best medical attention we can get but the requirement we have is that we do so without receiving blood. It is very sad and there is a lot of support for the family."

Dr Maggie Blott, a consultant obstetrician, said women pregnant with non-identical twins are at increased risk of needing a blood transfusion at birth. She added: "When women give birth, they bleed from the placental bed - the area of the uterus to which the placenta is attached.

"With twins there are two placental beds and so twice the bleeding."

She added that the risk applied regardless of whether the babies were delivered naturally or via Caesarean section. But births carried out by Caesarean increase blood loss - and therefore the need for a transfusion - because there is surgical blood loss on top of the normal bleeding from the placental bed.

Last year only 17 women died in childbirth in Britain.

The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital said it could not make any comment about an individual patient's care and treatment.

The Jehovah's Witness movement, an offshoot of Christianity, was developed by the American preacher Charles Taze Russell in the late 19th century.

Its adherents believe Christ's second coming is imminent, and that soon afterwards the world will be destroyed and 144,000 of the most faithful believers will ascend to heaven.

They consider the Bible to be the word of God - whom they call Jehovah - and interpret many of its scriptures literally.

Witnesses believe three Biblical passages explicitly prevent them from receiving blood transfusions. However the faith's ruling Watchtower Society allows Witnesses to receive organ transplants, as long as the organ is completely drained of blood.

There are 6.5million active Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide, 125,000 of them in Britain. Followers include Michael Jackson and tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.dailymail.co.u .. n_page_id=1770

174 comments for "Nov 5 - Jehovah's Witness mom dies after denying blood transfusion after giving birth"

10 years ago '06        #2
King Allister 36 heat pts36
space
space
$21,788 | Props total: 173 173
wtf religion over your life???
 10 years ago '05        #3
O.G. Loc 
space
space
$1,173 | Props total: 79 79
a good portion of my family are JW.....but as long as i can remember, i always thought the blood transfusion rule was fu*king ridiculous. but if thats what you believe more power to you.
 10 years ago '05        #4
MeziaaL 4 heat pts
space
space
$15,469 | Props total: 2489 2489
stupid.....

r.i.p anyway
 11-05-2007, 09:36 PM         #5
Jerseyelite89  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i guess this is why we all gonna burn...people complain over putting god before technology...damn....
 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM         #6
micwrecka  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
jackass.... now ur kids dont have a mom
 11-05-2007, 10:47 PM         #7
Mbrew457  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
AND THATS WHY RELIGION IS fu*kING RETARDED sure it saves some people but think of all the genocides, wars, and other problems likes this bull sh*t that could be prevented. people need to realize religion was created along time ago to explain the unexplainable and control the masses that's it...
 10 years ago '07        #8
Grave 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,788 | Props total: 200 200
Believe it or not, some things are worth dying for. All of you who critized, would you die for your beliefs? or would you sell your beliefs out in order to live? If so

RIP
 10 years ago '04        #9
DJ Maximum|M 48 heat pts48
space
space
$43,361 | Props total: 11567 11567
 cr8ed2bh8ed585 said:
power to her... death before dishonor she would rather die than to live on somethin she didnt believe n. Alot of my mom side of the fam is jw and honestly i wouldnt of taken the blood either.
Thats Just Stupid...

God Does Things For A Reason If Its Something 2 Save Ur Life Thats Different

But Now 2 Kids Are Without A Mother
 10 years ago '04        #10
Floeji 
space
space
$5,529 | Props total: 68 68
So. I bet she'd be pissed if she found out that there wasn't any sort of "heaven" for her.

Should have just gotten the damn transfusion.

You want to hear something ironic? A Jehovah's Witness that was bitten by a vampire. And becomes one.

You can't die, and you have to drink blood. Catch 22?

Last edited by Floeji; 11-06-2007 at 12:18 AM..
 10 years ago '06        #11
Blah 17 heat pts17
space
space
$25,524 | Props total: 6751 6751
and this is why i slam the door and avoid these clowns when they pass out there flyers, fu*kouttahere
sad for the 2 kids, parents are morons
 10 years ago '06        #12
kpdawg2006 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,821 | Props total: 186 186
 Unkleluc said:
Jehovas witness' are a fu*kin cult
all religions should be considered cults
 11-06-2007, 12:35 AM         #13
goldstarchoice  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
My sister used to be a JW then she said that sh*t was fake as hell. Now she is a Christian...which is also fake, but more rational. I'd rather be Christian than JW.
 11-06-2007, 12:38 AM         #14
Krazy K  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Propz to her standing up for her faith.
 10 years ago '04        #15
doloe 12 heat pts12
space
space
$554 | Props total: 97 97
 cr8ed2bh8ed585 said:
power to her... death before dishonor she would rather die than to live on somethin she didnt believe n. Alot of my mom side of the fam is jw and honestly i wouldnt of taken the blood either.
the only smart comment made

propzzzzzzzzzzz
 10 years ago '04        #16
UF4Soldier 127 heat pts127
space
space
$18,985 | Props total: 4596 4596
God Gave Doctors The Ability to Create Blood transfusions to help people live.. Some People R Dumbasses.. I Hope Its Wonderful in Paradise or wherever she goes.. Maybe she will be reincarnated as the families goldfish...
 11-06-2007, 09:09 AM         #17
5ive_9ine  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Acts 15:28, 29; Genesis 9:4
It's just that simple.
 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM         #18
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Wow, I know about 100 JW's that died for denying blood.

sh*t was common when I was growing up. But I don't fu*ks with JW or any other religion.

Heres the verse in the bible that speaks of blood...

"Keep abstainng from sacrificed idols and blood..."
Acts 15:29

"...they shoud keep themselves from what is sacrificed to idols as well as from blood..." Acts 21:25

So she was following the bible she believed in. Most other christians would say fu*k it.

I'm not a christian but doesn't it also say "Putting ones life ahead of God's Law is Fatal"? Some dudes are only convenient christians.

All in all, fu*k religion as a whole.
 10 years ago '04        #19
jayhot 
space
space
space
$81 | Props total: 0 0
This whole blood transfusion issue with the Jehovah Witnesses is rather illogical. I'm no atheist but I do believe a lot of stuff in the bible reflects the thinking of man during that time period. Back in those days they were not privilaged to the medical advances that we have in this day and age. A blood tranfusion in that time period would have been considered crazy. But in this day and age its common practice. I can't believe this woman did her kids like this. JW is truly a cult if you ask me.
 11-06-2007, 09:30 AM         #20
currybai  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
JW, Christianity are all pagan religions. You are not going to heaven because you refuse a blood transfusion. The kids are going to grow up and ask, where is mommy? Why would a mother, a father do that to their kids? Did the bible mention that?
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
50 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
50 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
66 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
40 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
141 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Man is thrown 45 feet off bridge for intervening in couple's ..
67 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
189 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
160 comments
2 days ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy