Nov 1 - 'American Gangster' Bootleggers Adding An Ironic Twist To Frank Lucas Flick

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
15 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
33 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-01-2007, 11:11 AM         #1
8546 pageviews
94 comments

Danja2Society 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nov 1 - 'American Gangster' Bootleggers Adding An Ironic Twist To Frank Lucas Flick

'American Gangster' Bootleggers Adding An Ironic Twist To Frank Lucas Flick

Movies usually have a 24-hour window when it comes to piracy but not this time around.
By Larry Carroll, with additional reporting by Shaheem Reid

LOS ANGELES In the 1970s, drug kingpin Frank Lucas frustrated the powers that be with a businessmanlike approach to his illegal activities. Three decades later, scores of fast-moving film pirates are similarly frustrating one of the world's most powerful movie companies. These days, Universal Pictures is eager to talk about
[pic - click to view]

"American Gangster" but not so willing to discuss some rabid groups of American pirates.

"No comment," was the rapid-fire response from a Universal rep who requested not to be identified when asked about the low-priced DVDs of the Denzel Washington/Russell Crowe drama that have been circulating in major U.S. cities, apparently for more than a week. With the film opening Friday, however, one can't help but a.ssume that there's a lot of commenting going on in the hallways and boardrooms of the film studio.

"A copy of 'Hostel II' leaked out before its release and [the pirates] had it, and it was like millions and millions of hits," director Eli Roth told us last month, recounting his own
[pic - click to view]

real-life horror story. "Not only was it downloaded, but in the countries it was downloaded, like Mexico and Brazil, there were copies on the street for practically a penny. You could buy 'Hostel II' for a quarter in Mexico City."

Currently, various reports have Denzel's film, the budget of which has been rumored to be more than $100 million, selling on street corners in New York, Los Angeles and elsewhere for $5 or less. Unlike such other problematically pirated films as "Sicko" and the "Hostel" sequel, however, the "Gangster" crisis is notable for having moved beyond Internet file-sharing and typical movie-studio headaches.

Movie companies typically have a 24-hour period the bootlegs usually don't hit the streets until the day after a film's release. But this movie has been pirated weeks beforehand, and the picture is so crystal-clear that it could fit comfortably on a shelf at Blockbuster. In fact, one of MTV News' own employees was recently approached at a gas station by a bootlegger trying to sell the movie.

Unlike such piracy favorites as the 2004 thriller "Mindhunters," the copies of "Gangster" are crystal-clear, with none of the "property of" burn-ins that typically indicate its origin. Aside from a few minor audio pops here and there, it seems no different than the eventual DVD that Universal would release itself.

"I'm furious," Roth said while fuming over the similar problem he encountered, which he blamed for his sequel
[pic - click to view]

opening with nearly a third of the opening take earned by the original "Hostel" film. "Unless you start an awareness that it's not OK, it's never going to change. In Japan, there's no piracy. You think they don't have the technology for piracy in Japan? They have it better than any of us. But they don't have the problem, because there's cultural shame a.ssociated with it."

Typically, a film's piracy problems tend to stem from one of two camps: a small army of geeks downloading from evasive Web sites or man-with-a-camera DVD bootlegs shot in the back of a theater after the film's initial release. "Gangster," however, seems to be blazing a new territory that has brazen bootleggers offering DVDs to people who wouldn't normally wander into L.A.'s Chinatown or New York's 125th Street.

MTV News has also received reports of "Gangster" bootlegs in such states as Virginia and Atlanta, with the Los Angeles market becoming so flooded that one seller told us he's giving them away free with the purchase of another DVD.

Given the flurry of bootlegs already out there, is it safe to a.ssume that there's so much anticipation for the flick that it will top the box office this weekend? We'll find out the results soon enough and they'll just be another chapter in this ever-evolving "Gangster" tale.

Check out everything we've got on
[pic - click to view]

"American Gangster."

[pic - click to view]

http://www.mtv.com/movies .. 31/story.jhtml

94 comments for "Nov 1 - 'American Gangster' Bootleggers Adding An Ironic Twist To Frank Lucas Flick"

11-01-2007, 11:22 AM         #2
djsmellie  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Danja2Society said:

MTV News has also received reports of "Gangster" bootlegs in such states as Virginia and Atlanta, with the Los Angeles market becoming so flooded that one seller told us he's giving them away free with the purchase of another DVD.
Next thing Bootleggers Gonna have coupons and sh*t. Start Charging tax
 10 years ago '06        #3
Beantown Bully 12 heat pts12
space
space
$2,159 | Props total: 1 1
figured Universal would get heated when I saw that DVD Screener in the Jukebox 10 days ago. Whoever originally leaked that DVD is a HERO
 11-01-2007, 11:41 AM         #4
Mr 315  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
burned the movie on to a DVD already then a bootlegger asked me if i wanted a copy i said no and he lowered the price ahahaha
 10 years ago '05        #5
bqstudios 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,966 | Props total: 1918 1918
stop making advance screeners and giving them out to people. jeesh how hard is that. thats the reason why these clear dvd copies are leaking, because they're subitting these movies to the oscar people for a possible chance to be nominated. since thats the case just go to whoever u gave the movies to and thats ur source. but if someone at the studio is giving out these advanced copies to a son, a girlfriend, a relative or friend (jay-z), then ur gonna have a harder time pinpointing who leaked it. at the end of the day stop giving out these dam screeners if they're so pissed off. (although that would suck for me, lol...till then ima sit back, blaze a fat one and watch american gangster on my 42 inch, ya dig.

Last edited by bqstudios; 11-01-2007 at 11:50 AM..
 10 years ago '05        #6
Kode_Red 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,454 | Props total: 987 987
Bootleggin Copie as I type
 10 years ago '04        #7
syxx2001 
space
space
$2,809 | Props total: 168 168
I was giving away Hova and the movie as a buy one get one half off deal.
 10 years ago '06        #8
whoismg 
space
space
$885 | Props total: 81 81
i got that blue magic maaang...
 11-01-2007, 12:12 PM         #9
DA DOPEMAN  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Can't Knock The Hustle
 10 years ago '04        #10
perryboy 1 heat pts
space
space
$135 | Props total: 8 8
Listen let me explain something to you guys a couple of months ago the director had a big falling out with universal....its not a coincident that this movie got released as a screener trust me crossing a major production company will cost you in the long run... Under any kind of different circumstances this would not happen...... THE MOVIE IS A DVD SCREENER WITH NO TIME STAMP!!!!!
SO THAT MEANS IT CAME DIRECTLY FROM :finger:UNIVERSALS:finger: VAULT!!!!
GEt ya MinD right its all one big dumb a.ss circle
 10 years ago '04        #11
perryboy 1 heat pts
space
space
$135 | Props total: 8 8
 DA DOPEMAN said:
Can't Knock The Hustle
A.k.A. im selling it right know
 10 years ago '04        #12
hewsdaddy 
space
space
$7,277 | Props total: 2 2
its funny, american gangster 2packs sold at a vietnamese convenience store near me
 10 years ago '05        #13
Bay.Area.Boi. 
space
space
$907 | Props total: 2 2
This American Gangster sh*t is an explosion, Movie, Jay Album and mixtape, waynes mixtape, tupac mixtape, Frank Lucas episode just previewed, jeeshus!, but anyway ima buy jays album and go out and support the movie
 10 years ago '06        #14
ceeboski 
space
space
$1,698 | Props total: 1 1
Damn I was about to say something real incriminating...sneaks out of thread
 11-01-2007, 01:25 PM         #15
NickthaQuick1  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
what is this...the get indited hotline???
 10 years ago '04        #16
jazzypoet 
space
space
space
$461 | Props total: 0 0
still should show love and support jigga and denzel
 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM         #17
KRiSH  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
why are they going on about the movie hitting certain citys and states?

once it hits the internet it going to be downloaded worldwide.
 11-01-2007, 01:40 PM         #18
Silver N Black  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 NickthaQuick1 said:
what is this...the get indited hotline???
word......
 10 years ago '04        #19
MochaWhitey 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,514 | Props total: 310 310
I downloaded it, but I'm still going to go see it at the theatre. Its that damn good.
 10 years ago '05        #20
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
i bought a downloaded copy of American gangster movie and jay z album on pre-ordered grouprip status..they shouldn't mention hostel 2..that sh*t was garbage..should just stayed a fukin cam
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
226 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
46 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now