Video inside Migos run up on Joe Budden and Akademiks
19 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
37 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
76 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

What did you think of American Gangster?
Garbage 31 4.99%
Below average 21 3.38%
Decent 97 15.62%
Excellent 231 37.20%
Classic 241 38.81%
Voters: 621. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #121
Mike Lyricalone 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,292 | Props total: 16 16
Why is Ignorant sh*t on here....that tracks been out eons ago
 10 years ago '06        #122
jj01 
space
space
$44,948 | Props total: 4669 4669
hello brooklyn is fu*kin unlistenable, weezy is trash, the beat and screaming are annoying as fu*k, and it fu*ks up the album imo.
 10 years ago '04        #123
NBA Brawler 112 heat pts112
space
space
$17,560 | Props total: 2413 2413
sh*t goes hard. its ALOT better than kingdome come.
 10 years ago '04        #124
Ateace3 
space
space
$4,060 | Props total: 27 27
if you move switch Hello Brooklyn with American Gangtser you have a 4.5/5 album. That Hello Brooklyn really fu*ks up the tempo. its a hot song, but it doesn't fit the album at all.
 10 years ago '06        #125
1-MC 
space
space
$1,119 | Props total: 221 221
^And it's considered one of the best for you? SMH.

Album was average at best . .
Fallin' is my sh*t.
Not copping like I thought I would after hearing the first two singles.
But after hearing the whole album, not worth my money.
Saving for when a sh*tload of dope albums drop next month.
 11-03-2007, 08:47 AM         #126
ZAFT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
smh @ people claiming this album is a classic or near classic.

Album is decent. 3/5
 10 years ago '05        #127
TRU 504 BoY 
space
space
$1,970 | Props total: 88 88
Hopefully Jay will drop a second version of the album with a couple added songs and have hello brooklyn off the album. sh*t is weak and doesn't belong on the album
 10 years ago '05        #128
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,202 | Props total: 15740 15740
good album...way better than kingdom come thats for sure
 11-04-2007, 01:49 AM         #129
methodman71413 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that Nas and Jay track is the sh*t
 10 years ago '06        #130
Sir Mike 12 heat pts12
space
space
$5,479 | Props total: 731 731
hov hasnt fell off, ill give this a 4.3 out of 5

my fav tracks

blue magic
i know
sweet
party life
say hello
 10 years ago '07        #131
PaiD iN FuLL 1 heat pts
space
space
$479 | Props total: 86 86
Ive given the album mad spins and ive got to say that im very impressed with Jays direction with this album. Youve got to understand that although its a studio album for Jay, its also a concept album for the movie. So the cd goes along with the plot of the movie, except from the aspect of Jays life. He says once he gets to the middle of the album, its considered to be when he hits the fork in the road where he either continues the "gangster" lifestyle or parts with it completely and goes as an artist. But he chose to switch it up and for the sake of the album its as if he continues to be the hustler he claims he once was...This is IMO what the album seems to be.

Intro: His definition of Gangster

Pray: Jay as a young child being exposed to the hustler lifestyle through his parents

American Dream: Jay at probably young teens, craving the good life.. Has dreams of big cars, clothes, etc etc. But he realizes thats when he will become a hustler.

**Hello Brooklyn 2.0: This is the track ive seen get most hate on Bx. 90% of the people on here say this track "doesnt belong" on this album, it doesnt fit, flow, etc etc. IT DOES because this is describing where he was raised and how Brooklyn had such an influuence on his life and what he is today. He had no father to show him guidance, so it was the streets that made him and he shows tribute. This is also in the time where Jay is in his late teens and is deep in the hustle game and therefore following up with No Hook. And sure Weezy's contribution to the song wasnt FLAMES, but its a Jay album and its not like they were in the studio making a collaboration. Wayne threw Jay a fire track (you have to admit, production on this was nice) and gave a simple but satisfying hook. And i do believe that wayne's concept to this song is seeing Brooklyn as a female in which he is speaking to.

Roc Boys: Jays glory days with the Roc. Showing supremacy.

Sweet: life is..Sweet.

I knnow: Everyone knows this is meant to be him speakking in terms of the relationship between a Heroin user and the drug itself.

Party Life: Dopest track on the album IMO. This is pictured to be a 70s vibe with everyone smokin spliffs and chillin out relaxin. Al Green type sh*t.

Ignorant sh*t: Jay's state of mind pretty much not giving a sh*t. Fck the haters

Say Hello: Good transition between ignorant sh*t because now everyone titles him the bad guy etc.

Success: The name says it all.

Fallin': Point in the road where Jay switches lifestyles, hes falling back into the game.

Blue Magic: Jay the Dope Man.

American Gangster: What else is left? Jay's done it all from the ground to the sky. Great closer to the album, jay speaking the glory of his accomplishmnets.

Anyone else feel this way?
 10 years ago '05        #132
Left Hook 28 heat pts28 OP
space
space
$13,334 | Props total: 1668 1668
 PaiD iN FuLL said:
Ive given the album mad spins and ive got to say that im very impressed with Jays direction with this album. Youve got to understand that although its a studio album for Jay, its also a concept album for the movie. So the cd goes along with the plot of the movie, except from the aspect of Jays life. He says once he gets to the middle of the album, its considered to be when he hits the fork in the road where he either continues the "gangster" lifestyle or parts with it completely and goes as an artist. But he chose to switch it up and for the sake of the album its as if he continues to be the hustler he claims he once was...This is IMO what the album seems to be.

Intro: His definition of Gangster

Pray: Jay as a young child being exposed to the hustler lifestyle through his parents

American Dream: Jay at probably young teens, craving the good life.. Has dreams of big cars, clothes, etc etc. But he realizes thats when he will become a hustler.

**Hello Brooklyn 2.0: This is the track ive seen get most hate on Bx. 90% of the people on here say this track "doesnt belong" on this album, it doesnt fit, flow, etc etc. IT DOES because this is describing where he was raised and how Brooklyn had such an influuence on his life and what he is today. He had no father to show him guidance, so it was the streets that made him and he shows tribute. This is also in the time where Jay is in his late teens and is deep in the hustle game and therefore following up with No Hook. And sure Weezy's contribution to the song wasnt FLAMES, but its a Jay album and its not like they were in the studio making a collaboration. Wayne threw Jay a fire track (you have to admit, production on this was nice) and gave a simple but satisfying hook. And i do believe that wayne's concept to this song is seeing Brooklyn as a female in which he is speaking to.

Roc Boys: Jays glory days with the Roc. Showing supremacy.

Sweet: life is..Sweet.

I knnow: Everyone knows this is meant to be him speakking in terms of the relationship between a Heroin user and the drug itself.

Party Life: Dopest track on the album IMO. This is pictured to be a 70s vibe with everyone smokin spliffs and chillin out relaxin. Al Green type sh*t.

Ignorant sh*t: Jay's state of mind pretty much not giving a sh*t. Fck the haters

Say Hello: Good transition between ignorant sh*t because now everyone titles him the bad guy etc.

Success: The name says it all.

Fallin': Point in the road where Jay switches lifestyles, hes falling back into the game.

Blue Magic: Jay the Dope Man.

American Gangster: What else is left? Jay's done it all from the ground to the sky. Great closer to the album, jay speaking the glory of his accomplishmnets.

Anyone else feel this way?
Hello Brooklyn 2.0 = Whackness.

Yes I know the concept of it, bla bla bla, but to me its still whack as hell.
Do yourself a favor and replace it with Wishing On A Star, it's got a 70's vibe to it.

And once you do that, you can continue the story for American Dreamin' to Wishing On A Star to No Hook.

By the way, you missed No Hook in your analysis.

To me, Wishing On A Star can def. relate to the storyline..

After American Dreamin', Jay-Z takes a look back into his life before plunging into the world of drug dealing and hustling. This song to me is Wishing On A Star where he reminisces his childhood days, like a flashback. Then after that you get No Hook, a dark and brooding song which def. sets the tone back to reality. It sounds as if Jay's finished reminiscing and delves into the world of drug dealing.

Yezsir, I know it sounds outrageous but its true. Go download Wishing On A Star and listen for yourself.
 11-05-2007, 12:54 AM         #133
`·.¤KINGGS¤.·´ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This album is great, especially after you start picking up on the wordplay scattered through it (just like all other Jay-Z albums). The production is mostly pretty great, only misstep is the AdRock sample in Hello Brooklyn, & possibly the beat to I Know, I mean it goes with the obviousness of the cover-up to make it seem like a love song, but its alittle to much. Other then that other missteps include but don't limit to, the Britney line (you know which one), the fact they chose Hello Brooklyn to be in the main album & not American Gangster (the track), & the very annoying fact that he explains or repeats almost all of the good lines.

My really short not very serious track-by-track breakdown...

1. Intro: This is alittle annoying, I don't skip it though
2. Pray: Track is set up pretty well, the girl whispering is a nice add-on.
3. American Dreamin: I love the beat. Its very eerie an a perfect compliment to the theme of the song.
4. Hello Brooklyn: I pretty much stated my displeasures with this song already, one good thing though, the bass.
5. No Hook: I love how Jay spoke on some things that kinda sorta needed to be addressed (Dehaven in particular).
6. Roc Boys: A pretty good dope boy anthem.
7. Sweet: Pretty soulful, kind of filler IMO.
8. I Know: Best song about heroine addiction ever? probably.
9. Party Life: Put together very well, very soulful & a great hook.
10. Ignorant sh*t: Pretty good song, Beans is pretty much only on the track to hide what would of been a glaring exposure of how old the track is ("First thing I do after the track is free beans, go" or somin close to that).
11. Say Hello: Decent production, to much hook, good verses, not one of my favorites.
12. Succes: The beat is very well structured, NaS verse starts out slow, Jay-Z would of beat him out if it wasn't for "Worst enemies want to be best friends".
13. Fallin': Best beat on album by far, one of my favorites.
14. Blue Magic: Kinda glad its a "bonus" because the only other songs its like is HB2 & I Know.
15. American Gangster: Should be track #4, & HB2 should be in its place here.

(Standout tracks highlighted red, personal favorites highlighted blue, SO & PF highlighted gold, worst song highlighted pink)

Final Rating: 4.2/5.0
 10 years ago '05        #134
space
space
The title track wouldn't fit in #4, it needed to be the last track of the album though.

But yeah, mostly agree to your review.
 10 years ago '07        #135
nxtbigceleb 
space
space
space
$24 | Props total: 0 0
A Beast.......
 10 years ago '07        #136
PaiD iN FuLL 1 heat pts
space
space
$479 | Props total: 86 86
Jay Corleone: Sick name btw. I think i agree with your "wishing on a star" claim. I happened to of heard that song for the first time just last week. Its very soulful and moving. It would be a great replacement to HB but unfortunately thats not the way it happened lol. But yo..what album is that track on cause ive tried to search for it and came up short. Mind you i have all of Jays studio albums. Props if you can post the song.
 10 years ago '05        #137
space
space
Yeah its from Chapter One (a compilation of all his "greatest hits" supposedly).

Don't worry though, I've PM'd you the link to d/l the song, I upped it myself just then..

I still deleted HB and replaced it with Wishing On A Star by the way, just cause HB screws up the vibe of the whole album.
 10 years ago '04        #138
mszomola 
space
space
space
$3,536 | Props total: 12 12
i was initially impressed , but a week into this album im tired of it ....

i dont want to listen to any of the tracks ever again .....

i think i only ran through the whole album about 3 times ...... so thats lack of longevity for you ... this one will come and go fast , it already has for me
 10 years ago '07        #139
lil man 
space
space
$395 | Props total: 0 0
sounds good so far
 10 years ago '05        #140
j da pimp 
space
space
$1,158 | Props total: 0 0
classic