Oct 19 - KRS-One ""Jay-Z is the GREATEST LYRICIST of All time"

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
204 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
88 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
250 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
142 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

You

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '06        #81
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,833 | Props total: 1174 1174
 CalcuoCuchicheo said:
"This" is not "exactly" what you were "talkin about in another post", yada, yada.

Why not? Well, I'd wager I'm smarter than you & know more than you - not just about rap, but about most things. Don't feel bad though, you're in the same position as the vast, vast majority of BX. Taking this into account though, you cannot attempt to pigeon-hole me.

Furthermore, I'm smarter than Canibus, so I'm not impressed by him rapping gibberish with a thesaurus to hand.

Don't "drop canibus for the sake of it" - if you're not dropping him for his lack of substance, then don't drop him at all. Bear that mark of idiocy with pride.

Pun could rhyme very well. Never really said much, but could rhyme. Funny how you whine about guns or w/e, whilst at the same time bigging up Pun who rapped about...the appropriate economic model for Puerto Rico?
Basing your judgment of my knowledge on nothing and other people who have nothing to do with me and determining you smarter because of that... yeah, your a real smart guy ....

And who gives a dam who ure smarter then...no one cares...shyt i wasnt even talkin to you in the first place hoe. Were talking bout lyricists not your dumass and how he clearly had a much larger vocabulary that people like u cant decipher and uses it to his advantage.

Completely ignored my last statement and carried on with your beleif that he means nothing so i wont even comment on that. And idiot i said canibus was sick without even basing 90% of his lyrics about gun talk, not every rapper. Learn to read. Even without swearing tho pun wud still smash jay z in any given way once again due to his larger vocabulary.

the fu*k outa here wit that c*cky attitude n at this homo thinking hes smarter then anyone else...

Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 10-19-2007 at 02:05 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #82
gunits50cent187 11 heat pts11
space
space
$6,181 | Props total: 1514 1514
man come one this is ridiculous Krs..how u goin to say Jay is the best ever when u yourself are a better lyricist than Jay Z..Big Daddy Kane,Kool G Rap,Biggie,Big PUn, Rakim..the list goes on for days..
 10 years ago '07        #83
Bullseye 59 heat pts59
space
space
$8,915 | Props total: 1802 1802
For those who don't think Canibus is a great lyricist, just listen to the track "Buckingham Palace". You don't necessarily need substance to prove you're a great lyricist. This is great lyricism:

"Canibus is the ultimate executioner's dream.
Swinging the guillotine.
'Cuz whenever the head is severed
from the human body
With a sharp enough weapon,
the brain remains conscious for 10 seconds.
Long enough for me to give you one last message,
and when you get to hell you can tell Lucifer I said it."

Last edited by Bullseye; 10-19-2007 at 02:28 PM..
 10 years ago '06        #84
d4deesnuts 3 heat pts
space
space
$6,425 | Props total: 3136 3136
everyones entitled to their own opinion so everyone is wrong/right here. If u think about it, he is the greatest lyricist of all time. I think u have to look at it as a whole, jay-z has been doin this sh*t for a long a.ss time and has been lyrical on a consistent basis. Look how many albums and sh*t he's put out, whether or not u liked his albums/songs, he's been lyrical his entire career. I'd say biggie was a better lyricist but u can't say he's the best of all time after only 2 albums. Eminem would've been a valid choice over jay-z but em's career has been sh*t the last 3 years. Eminem has fallen off hard and i know i said everyones entitled to their own opinion. But your fu*kin retarded if u can't see that. Em was lyrical his first 3 albums, especially his first, but he hasn't done anything great since the eminem show. Jay-z has been out longer and still remains a great lyricist after all this time. That being said, i can't argue with people believing him to be the greatest lyricist of all time. Just cuz i think he's the best at that doesn't make him the best rapper, he's not even my fav, but u get the point.

Last edited by d4deesnuts; 10-19-2007 at 02:16 PM..
 10-19-2007, 02:42 PM         #85
DM AKA ILLVILLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
LMAO @ all these nas stans gettin homotional

he is the best, stop lying to yourself, aint nun of ur 6 feet underground rappers can touch hov.
 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM         #86
TuJay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Magic City said:
I guess Alzheimer finally caught up to these "old schoolers".

They must've forgotten about cats like Big L, Big Pun, Rakim, Canibus, etc.

Hell even LL is more lyrical than Jay z.
FORCE MODE
 10-19-2007, 03:52 PM         #87
Ali_Baba  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 heveweight said:
Its a difficult question because im not sure what defines a lyrist.

Using extensive vocabulary used, wordplay, rhyme pattern, metaphores and similies, punchlines ,humour, wit, and concepts behind the music.

Without question Canibus has the most extensive vocubulary and the most varied and unusual concepts in his music....for me lyicaly he is the best...but his rhyme pattern, flow, puchlines and wit are poor .

Eminem has good wordplay, a decent vocabulay and humour, (although i dont like it) he has the most varied flows but the concepts behind his music a lot of people cant relate to and he doesnt really use metaphores and similies as much in his music....his music is probably more about conveying emotion, shock value and unusual flows than tight lyrics

Big L had it all...the best wordplay, similies and metaphores, the best wit, he had a decent flow but the concepts behind his music were probably not as varied and of course he only brought out one album which isnt a big enough catalogue to say the best lyricist of all time.

Nas has the best concepts behind his songs, they are varied and deep, his vocabulary is amazing, he has a great flow but his humour and wit arent great, he doesnt really do punchlines and his wordplay isnt great either.

Jay z's wordplay is crazy (perhaps as good as big L's), he has varied similies and metaphores, an extensive subject matter, humour, wit and puchlines, a variation of flows and a good vocabulary...and he has done it consistantly for 11 year.s

I would say that jay z could be considered the best all round lyricist but their are rappers who have been better than him in evry department except maybe flow and its very close between Big L and him on wordpay.....but overall the total package of a lyricist.....in other words he leads the league on overall points but doesnt top any tables in indiviual categories

Its just my opinion though.

not for nothing, i understand that it's just your personal opinion, but Eminem's vocabulary AND wordplay is lightyears ahead of Jay-Z. Jay-Z's wordplay, song structure, and vocab can't be compared to rappers like Nas, Eminem, and Canibus. That's simply just not Jay's area of expertees(don't know if I spelled that right). Jay is all about subject matter, similes and metaphors, and basically everything else you said. But, you can't say Jay has a good vocabulary and then turn around and say Eminem has a decent vocabulary.

And IMO, Big L>>>Nas>>>Eminem>>>Canibus>>>Jay-Z

All of them are legends though. Any good opinion is good when you're talking about those five rappers.
 10 years ago '04        #88
money36 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,691 | Props total: 128 128
I think krs one wants to get paid. No way is jay z the greatest lyricist.
 10 years ago '04        #89
iketaurus 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$455 | Props total: 0 0
 trmfinest said:
Name one rapper who been in the game for so long and so good as Jay??

Listin in the beginning to "What more can i say"

"aint a n*gga this good for this long"

Muthfu*ka be hatin on Jay but name one rapper who been that good for so long!!?
Stop hatin and give the man the respect he deserves like them legend are givin Jay!!
Jay has one two many wack rap albums...and the albums hes been putting out lately ain't nothing to brag about

Jay is consistent, and so is Nas those two are the only names you can mention in the same sentence right now...the greatest is Rakim to me
 10 years ago '04        #90
iketaurus 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 Ali_Baba said:
not for nothing, i understand that it's just your personal opinion, but Eminem's vocabulary AND wordplay is lightyears ahead of Jay-Z. Jay-Z's wordplay, song structure, and vocab can't be compared to rappers like Nas, Eminem, and Canibus. That's simply just not Jay's area of expertees(don't know if I spelled that right). Jay is all about subject matter, similes and metaphors, and basically everything else you said. But, you can't say Jay has a good vocabulary and then turn around and say Eminem has a decent vocabulary.

And IMO, Big L>>>Nas>>>Eminem>>>Canibus>>>Jay-Z

All of them are legends though. Any good opinion is good when you're talking about those five rappers.

^^^^co-sign
 10 years ago '07        #91
Bullseye 59 heat pts59
space
space
$8,915 | Props total: 1802 1802
 CalcuoCuchicheo said:

Furthermore, I'm smarter than Canibus, so I'm not impressed by him rapping gibberish with a thesaurus to hand.
Anyone who doesn't think Canibus is a great lyricist or isn't impressed, will be so after this post. Then all of this nonsense can stop. Here are some Canibus lines. This is a display of magnificent lyricism at it's best:

"My style is every color in the spectrum,
Your style is plain like trains without vandalism"

"I been rockin' longer than n*ggas twice my age
back in the days before Bob Marley was rockin' a fade,
before Honest Abe signed the paper that freed slaves,
before Neanderthals was drawing on walls in caves.
I existed, in the Garden of Eden gettin' lifted
stickin' d*ck to Eve before she was Adam's mistress"

"Yo physically I move at a velocity
That'll break your stopwatch if you clockin me
My concrete jungle is like Jumaji"

"Rhymes ricochet off the inner walls of my lungs
and go past the tongue faster then bullets come out of guns"

"Ambushin emcees jumpin out the trees
like Vietnamese in fatigues covered with leaves
Interrogatin you wack emcees like MIB's with dark glasses
Askin you to tell me exactly where that alien craft landed
By flashing bright light in your eyes with those silver gamas
So when you revive you cant recall or understand it
Thats how the Canibus keeps tabs on the planet
I use amnesia to neutralize public panic
and take advantage of oppurtinites to do damage
I pierce your heart with evil thoughts
The only thing faster then tha speed of light is the speed of dark"

And on top of all that, don't forget he wrote "Channel Zero". I don't care if you agree/disagree with his point of view, that was some of the illest sh*t ever written:

Now... back to Jay-Z... :D

Last edited by Bullseye; 10-19-2007 at 04:37 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #92
iketaurus 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 DM AKA ILLVILLE said:
LMAO @ all these nas stans gettin homotional

he is the best, stop lying to yourself, aint nun of ur 6 feet underground rappers can touch hov.
I would agree with you but Im bumping ether in the background
 10-19-2007, 04:38 PM         #93
c_vlasak  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Em in his prime>>>> Jay
Redman>>>> jay
Andre 3000>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.......Jay
Pac>>>>.......................Jay

didn't think someone wud get 4 wrong in a row.

I don't think jay is the best lyricist ever but i say overall he is the best rapper ever.
 10-19-2007, 04:47 PM         #94
krzyboilace  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Krs been on that pipe for a few weeks now...i respect you as a legend but what the hell are you doin?

next crank that soulja boy is gonna be the best single that ever came out.....

he even said kanye wasnt hip hop and chose 50 over ye's album puttin down flashing lights one of the hottest tracks of the year......
 10 years ago '06        #95
jj01 
space
space
$44,956 | Props total: 4678 4678
jay is maybe a top 20 lyricist if that, even that may be pushing it.
 10-19-2007, 05:46 PM         #96
DINER0  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Domic462 said:
Are you serious? There was way too many witness of the gangsta lifestyle to give credit to Melly Mel. You seriously think NWA would of just been like RUN DMC or something.
Yeah n*gga go do your research The Message created that lane for gangsta/reality rap. If it wasnt for that n*gga be rapping bout partying, and not only did it do that it created the 16 bar go to hook format.Cause rap records were more like SugarHill Hang Rapper delight 15 minutes long.

And Schooly D and Kool G Rap was doing it before NWA but Melle Mel Was the prototype, go do your research younging. You probably think Bone Thugs invented that fast rapping style too.
 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM         #97
DINER0  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Bullseye said:
Mastered the English language??

Not to brag, but throughout most of my life I've been considered "ahead" of all my peers in my English classes in almost every grade growing up. My mother started me early with reading and audio books before I even entered pre-school.

I can personally say that Jay-Z is NOT even close to the word "master" when it comes to the English language. Rappers that I can say for sure that have heard make excellent usage of the English language and really understand it are:

Rakim, Nas, Canibus and Mos Def
. I'm sure there are more, but those come to mind immediately. Jay-Z does not. He is clever at times with word usage and wordplay. I'll give him that, but he does not possess the vocabulary, understanding, nor incite, to spit rhymes on the level of any of the four that I mentioned.

KRS-ONE is scaring me these days with his statements. Not sure what he's going through, but I hope he gets better.

Dictionary Rapper doesn't mean they master the dictionary, I myself Am very studious and have an extensive diction but you using big word not the same as learning how to manipulate the english language. Im just going off what Chuck D Commented on, Thats his word.

"Cause you dont understand him dont mean his nice It just mean you dont understand the sh*t he write" (Line for Line)
 10-19-2007, 06:03 PM         #98
cashrules93  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
when it comes to taste or how u look at lyrics his opinion means no more then mine or yours.
 10-19-2007, 06:06 PM         #99
DINER0  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CalcuoCuchicheo said:
It would be cool if the threadstarter had even an apprenticeship in English; unfortunately, he appears to be a manual labourer. The kind that aren't Anglophone.

I refrain from using any sort of sophisticated writing style when Im on a message board due to fact ain't no sense for me to articulate my thought in proper english since this isn't school. I admit
I am not what you call from High Society and no do I portray myself in any shape form or fashion. to be from the House of Windsor. I am what i am

ala GHETO
 10-19-2007, 06:18 PM         #100
DINER0  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Da prophecy said:
i see you havent quite mastered the english language... are you foreign or something?
No dummy we are all foreigner,ever heard of the Mayflower,Ellis Island. America is not even its real name not our land it is the Native, the indigenous people who were here before the Puritan Pilgrims and all the convicts England did not want so they sent them over here.

In 1718, the British Parliament passed the Transportation Act, under which England began sending its imprisoned convicts to be sold as indentured servants in the American colonies. While the law provoked outrage among many colonists -- Benjamin Franklin equated it to packing up North American rattlesnakes and sending them all to England -- the influx of ex-convicts provided cheap and immediate labor for many planters and merchants. After 1718, approximately 60,000 convicts, dubbed "the King's passengers," were sent from England to America. Ninety percent of them stayed in Maryland and Virginia. Although some returned to England once their servitude was over, many remained and began their new lives in the colonies.

[pic - click to view]

source:

And there descendants the Wasp will never consider you "American" , no matter how much bleach to your dome they throw at you.

And No I dont have a greencard But My parents do.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
61 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
71 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
45 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
55 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
145 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
22 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
80 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
42 comments
19 hours ago