Oct 3 - Verizon's Voyager, iPhone Killer?

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
132 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
46 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
118 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
70 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #1
7291 pageviews
112 comments

SupaMann 47 heat pts47
space
space
$5,174 | Props total: 1178 1178
Oct 3 - Verizon's Voyager, iPhone k!ller?

Verizon unveils iPhone rival

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Verizon Wireless unveiled three new cell phones on Wednesday for the holiday season, including a high-end handset named Voyager that will compete with Apple Inc's (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) iPhone.

The Voyager, made by LG Electronics (066570.KS: Quote, Profile, Research), trumps the iPhone by offering faster wireless Web access. But in a nod to the Apple device, which is only available to AT&T Inc (T.N: Quote, Profile, Research) subscribers, it has a large touch screen and full Web browser.

Verizon Wireless hopes the new phone will attract customers put off by the iPhone's lack of a traditional keypad -- the Voyager hinges open to reveal a small computer keypad and a second screen.

"We think it'll be the best phone ... this year. It will k!ll the iPhone," Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman said in an interview.

Current Analysis analyst Avi Greengart said the Voyager may attract existing Verizon subscribers who do not want to switch service providers, but he doubted it would hurt iPhone sales.

"People who want a high-end media phone and want to stay with Verizon will certainly give that one a hard look. I don't know that it would pull anybody away from an iPhone," he said.

The battle for cell phone buyers' hearts this holiday shopping season is shaping up to be even fiercer than usual, as rivals to Apple and AT&T launch new challengers.

Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications Inc (VZ.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L: Quote, Profile, Research), has not been first with the hippest phones, but said this line-up is its best yet.

"Typically a carrier brings one, maybe two exciting products to the market in a year. We're bringing four," Lanman said, referring to the three new models and its existing LG Chocolate phone.

Verizon also introduced Juke, an ultra-narrow phone that comes in three colors and is shaped like a chocolate bar. The phone, made by Samsung Electronics (005930.KS: Quote, Profile, Research), is less than 1 inch wide.

It also unveiled another LG phone, the Venus, which comes in black and pink, and has a phone keypad that slides out from under a touch screen. As with Voyager, it vibrates when a user taps a menu option on the screen.

Verizon Wireless would not give exact pricing beyond saying each phone would target a different segment and range from under $100 to about $400. The iPhone costs $399.

Greengart at Current Analysis said the new Verizon range is a step forward for a company that has been trumped before by AT&T, which sold Motorola Inc's (MOT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Razr long before Verizon did.

"This is something Verizon had to do," Greengart said. "It's been a long time coming for them to get hotter devices."

Venus and Voyager both have 2-megapixel cameras, and high-speed wireless connections for fast music and video downloads, and a slot for 8 gigabytes of extra memory. The iPhone has 8 gigabytes of built-in storage.

Venus and Voyager will launch before the end of November

The cheapest phone in the range is the Juke, which is narrower than any U.S. phone so far and will go on sale on October 19, Lanman said.

The Juke slides open to reveal a tiny keypad and comes in dark blue, red and teal. It has dedicated keys for playing music but does not have a high-speed wireless link.

Verizon Wireless said it expects to attract more fashion-conscious young users to Juke than those who want to constantly e-mail or Web-surf on cell phones.

Source:
[pic - click to view]

http://www.reuters.com/ar .. 071003?sp=true

112 comments for "Oct 3 - Verizon's Voyager, iPhone Killer?"

10 years ago '04        #2
Kingbee1979 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,459 | Props total: 73 73
i WANT A VOYAGER....
 10-03-2007, 10:40 AM         #3
dipsetgrl022 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
there's nuttin' fu*kin' wit the iphone...juss 4 tha simple fact that it got tha i in tha name makes it the most marketable phone in the world...ppl buy sh*t they're familiar wit..apple is familiar..therefore hella ppl buy it....the more ppl keep tryna sh*t on the iphone..the more likely apples bout 2 put out harder sh*t..

Last edited by dipsetgrl022; 10-03-2007 at 10:42 AM..
 10 years ago '06        #4
DJ Endo 
space
space
$924 | Props total: 68 68
^^^^ Real Talk. I knew when they announced phones that there would be alot of imitations. All thats gonna happen is that apple will release a 2nd Gen iphone and the other companies will keep trying to play catch up. And the cycle will go on and on.

I personally don't fu*k w/ iphone though. Its the next razr in my opinion. Next phone i'm gettin is gonna either be a htc or the nokia n95. Them things are beast
 10 years ago '07        #5
boxden813 
space
space
$246 | Props total: 8 8
we'll see when it comes out... it'll prob have better battery time and internet connectivity than those i phones... we'll have 2 wait n see
 10 years ago '05        #6
SupaMann 47 heat pts47 OP
space
space
$5,174 | Props total: 1178 1178
yO alot of companies tryna play catch up fa real! HTC coming out with a similar joint called "Touch" for Sprint

10 years ago '04        #7
x Tha Arkitek x 59 heat pts59
space
space
$18,673 | Props total: 6809 6809
 dipsetgrl022 said:
there's nuttin' fu*kin' wit the iphone...
Fiction

dipsetgrl022 said:
...juss 4 tha simple fact that it got tha i in tha name makes it the most marketable phone in the world...ppl buy sh*t they're familiar wit..apple is familiar..therefore hella ppl buy it....the more ppl keep tryna sh*t on the iphone..the more likely apples bout 2 put out harder sh*t..
Fact

Same deal with the iPod....its always, "What's an MP3 Player do? I want an iPod".

I enjoy my T-Mobile Wing tho.
 10-03-2007, 11:29 AM         #8
Arkanjal 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
people need to stop acting like the iphone is the best.....its really on the LOW LOW end (free-$99 phone range) in terms of its capability.

the interface is the only thing it has......and hopefully some of these new phones can meet or surpass that, and actually have some type of functionality.
 10 years ago '07        #9
Jae_Mike 25 heat pts25
space
space
$4,387 | Props total: 1061 1061
 DJ Endo said:
^^^^ Real Talk. I knew when they announced phones that there would be alot of imitations. All thats gonna happen is that apple will release a 2nd Gen iphone and the other companies will keep trying to play catch up. And the cycle will go on and on.

I personally don't fu*k w/ iphone though. Its the next razr in my opinion. Next phone i'm gettin is gonna either be a htc or the nokia n95. Them things are beast
the voyager is whack, the iphone is whack, google the n98 and the you will toss ur iphones and or google n95 8gb
 10 years ago '04        #10
sdsuhustle 
space
space
$406 | Props total: 27 27
I have to see that pop out keyboard first before I give up my treo 700w, theres nothing messing with that Windows mobile software.....we will see.

Last edited by sdsuhustle; 10-04-2007 at 10:46 AM..
 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM         #11
dipsetgrl022 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
well i love my iphone..the worst thing about it is tha keyboard n i c them improving that in the next generation model...
 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM         #12
Mcmasterlock 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dipsetgrl022 said:
there's nuttin' fu*kin' wit the iphone...juss 4 tha simple fact that it got tha i in tha name makes it the most marketable phone in the world...ppl buy sh*t they're familiar wit..apple is familiar..therefore hella ppl buy it....the more ppl keep tryna sh*t on the iphone..the more likely apples bout 2 put out harder sh*t..
Technology upgrades everyday,the iphone is going to die slow
 10 years ago '05        #13
Sheeed 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,028 | Props total: 12 12
the asians been had sh*t like this...we need to hurry the fu*k up and catch up
 10-03-2007, 12:10 PM         #14
dipsetgrl022 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Mcmasterlock said:
Technology upgrades everyday,the iphone is going to die slow
ya it does..but who does the majority of the upgrading?....exactly...
 10 years ago '06        #15
King Dutch 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,424 | Props total: 18 18
im good with my blackberry
 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM         #16
i-a 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dipsetgrl022 said:
Very valid point. However, word of mouth says "iPhone sucks" and it costs sooo much. I predict the PS3 effect for the iPhone.
 10 years ago '07        #17
fabianj 
space
space
$281 | Props total: 32 32
I got verizion but I doubt lg can make a musicplayer better than apple!
 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM         #18
DropDownInc 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k that, new phoens come out every fu*kin couple months, u gon cop this and somethin better gon come out 2 months later....thats why cell phoens p!ss me off, but still gotta have one
 10 years ago '04        #19
david1972 1 heat pts
space
space
$349 | Props total: 0 0
the iphone is 5 years ahead of all the other cellphones out there
 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM         #20
dipsetgrl022 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 i-a said:
Very valid point. However, word of mouth says "iPhone sucks" and it costs sooo much. I predict the PS3 effect for the iPhone.
n*gga...they cut the price in half!
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
158 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
91 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
98 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
78 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
51 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
46 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
73 comments
2 days ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy