Official #5 West Virginia Mountaineers @ #18 USF Bulls thread [Friday-ESPN2-8:00 EST]

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
72 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside F*ck That: Atlanta Businessman Breaks Down How Crazy Expensive Is It to..
25 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
53 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #41
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
Where you sitting at for the game?
 10 years ago '06        #42
holdndownfla 
space
space
$497 | Props total: 5 5
Yea, ima be at this sh*t. This chick i know goes to USF and she almost didnt get tickets they were sellin so quick. She got me some kinda companion ticket and some green bracelet or some sh*t. Iono, but i guess theyre being real strict on the student tix this game. I already saw someone on craigslist selling 3 student tix for 300 each which is crazy for a USF game especially when the students get them for 15 each.
 10 years ago '05        #43
BoSox84 
space
space
 holdndownfla said:
Yea, ima be at this sh*t. This chick i know goes to USF and she almost didnt get tickets they were sellin so quick. She got me some kinda companion ticket and some green bracelet or some sh*t. Iono, but i guess theyre being real strict on the student tix this game. I already saw someone on craigslist selling 3 student tix for 300 each which is crazy for a USF game especially when the students get them for 15 each.
Was it like a lime green bracelet? Or dark green?
 09-26-2007, 11:28 PM         #44
AlCapone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 holdndownfla said:
damn....u lucky bastard
 10 years ago '05        #45
BoSox84 
space
space
I'm gonna be in the end zone student section myself, sh*t's gonna be wild
 10 years ago '04        #46
Salty Nuts 
space
space
$1,073 | Props total: 0 0
i'll take USF, WV relies too much on their running game and outmatching opponents with white/slatons speed. Florida teams tend to have very good team speed so i'll think they'll be somewhat neutralized. Plus this is in florida at night. I'll be very surprised if WV dominates this game.
 10 years ago '04        #47
madness 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$13,024 | Props total: 2972 2972
wouldnt mind seeing USF get this one, they got a ton of florida athlete's on there, but white and slaton are beasts too so it's gonna be a good game regardless of who wins
 09-27-2007, 03:01 PM         #48
AlCapone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
gameday's one day away
 10 years ago '05        #49
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
 BoSox84 said:
Where you sitting at for the game?
Player's family section... be on the 30 yard line about 12 to 15 rows up... i gotta go to the stadium to get my tickets released
 10 years ago '04        #50
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
bet dat ... good friday night game

*gets purp and goose ready*
 10 years ago '07        #51
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,790 | Props total: 14597 14597
 booker20 said:
they stop Slaton last year and this defense is a lot better... this game will depend on a lot on the WVU defense which doesnt really stop anybody and our offense which has been ok this year... it was bad last year besides grothe now we actually have a running game to go along with the pass... Devine is the X factor for WVU and our X factor for us this week will be Amarri Jackson... i think he comes up big against those weak dbs...
i still think darius reynaud will be the x factor cuz usf knows when wvu is running the ball and they always audible and cheat their dbs or lbs up... i think it will mostly come down to pat whites passing...
 10 years ago '05        #52
booker20 
space
space
 thehogue... said:
i still think darius reynaud will be the x factor cuz usf knows when wvu is running the ball and they always audible and cheat their dbs or lbs up... i think it will mostly come down to pat whites passing...
I think our secondary will keep him in check... Mike or Trae both are lock down corners... Mike Jenkins is 2nd in the nation in PBU and i think Trae is 6th or something... Reynaud was their leading rusher last year but the passing game was very inconsistent we got a lot of pressure on White and i believe their line was better last year...
 10 years ago '05        #53
booker20 
space
space
USF BULLS

Last week we learned . . .
That these Bulls are focused. Every distraction you can imagine was there before the Bulls took the field vs. UNC: the holdover euphoria of the Auburn win, increased media attention following their first national ranking, WVU on the immediate horizon. But USF swept all of that and the Tar Heels aside in their most complete effort of the season. USF is also showing more discipline and maturity. Although they're still averaging 68 penalty yards per game, the Bulls haven't been flagged for the silly ones that have sometimes plagued them. We also learned that the kicking game may have some potential. After a rough outing at AU, Delbert Alvarado rebounded by going 3-for-3 on field goals against UNC. He also averaged 50 yards on two punts.

USF will win if . . .
It is able to limit West Virginia's big plays. With Slaton and White – and now Noel Devine – the Mountaineers thrive on hitting home runs. They boast the No. 2 rushing offense in the country at 357 yards per game, and the USF defense will have to be ready on every snap. Stopping WVU on first and second downs guarantees nothing. The Bulls are the nation's top defense on third down, holding opponents to just a 20.4 percent success rate, but the Mountaineers are third in the NCAA on the other side. They have converted on 55.8 percent of their third downs.

USF will lose if . . .

The Bulls give the WVU offense a short field. With the weapons they have, the Mountaineers can score from anywhere on the field, but if the Bulls turn the ball over or allow large field position swings in the kicking game, WVU could put up a lot of points in a big hurry and bury USF as they've done to so many opponents over the past two seasons. The Bulls are going to have to make WVU earn every yard if they want to stay with the high-powered Mounties.
The X-factor could be . . .
The environment. A full house at RJS isn't likely to rattle the Mountaineers, who are used to playing in big games at hostile environments. Still, the potential is there for the noise to make an impact – if not on WVU, then as a motivational factor for the Bulls. It was certainly in play a week ago, when crowd noise combined to befuddle UNC and raise USF up for a goal-line stand.
USFBullsEYE.com Predicts
Bulls turn Tampa on its head with a 30-28 win. They won't limit WVU like last year, but the offense will continue to come alive.
 10 years ago '05        #54
booker20 
space
space
KEY MATCHUP
USF QB Matt Grothe vs. WVU DBs
Grothe had a sensational day in USF's win at Morgantown last November, throwing for nearly 300 yards. Although improved so far this year, the Mountaineers are still susceptible, allowing 186 yards per game through the air. But after giving up 245 and 266 to Western Michigan and Marshall, respectively, WVU's 3-3-5 defense has played better, allowing 180 through the air to Maryland and just nine completions and 54 yards last week vs. East Carolina. Where Grothe is most dangerous, perhaps, is his willingness to spread the ball around. Fourteen different players have at least one reception.
QUOTABLE
USF's Jim Leavitt

"West Virginia is an awfully good football team. You all know that. They wouldn't be ranked fifth in the country if they weren't good in every way. Special teams - they're very strong, I know everyone wants to talk about their offense and defense. They are certainly well coached, and they have a lot of tremendous athletes. They play with a lot of confidence."
Matt Grothe – Key Stats
South Florida

Grothe
Is Matt Grothe a winner? The numbers don't lie. The sophomore QB has led the Bulls to victories in 11 of his 15 career games for a 73.3 winning percentage. That's the best in USF quarterbacking history so far, topping Marquel Blackwell's 71.4 (30-12). After tossing 14 interceptions a season ago, Grothe has now thrown 127 consecutive passes without being picked off. That total ranks No. 2 all-time at USF. Blackwell went 235 straight throws in 2001. Grothe also has at least one TD pass in eight consecutive games.
EXTRA POINTS
South Florida

USF's starting linebacker trio ranks 1-2-3 on the team in tackles: Brouce Mompremier (28), Tyrone McKenzie (26) and Ben Moffitt (23) . . . Friday's game will mark the 15th time since the formation of the Big East Conference that two ranked league teams have squared off with one team being ranked in the top five. The lower-ranked team has won the past three of those matchups . . . USF has received the ball first and scored first in all three games this season . . . The Bulls (3-0) have never won more than three games in September in program history . . . USF leads the Big East in run defense, allowing just 79 yards per game . . . Selvie needs just 1.5 sacks to tie the single-season school record of 10 shared by Terrence Royal (2005) and Shurron Pierson (2001) . . . WVU is the highest-ranked team ever to play in Tampa. The previous high was No. 8 Georgia in the 2005 Outback Bowl . . . USF will start 15 underclassmen against West Virginia . . . MLB Moffitt's interception last week vs. UNC was the first of his career in 33 starts . . . USF has allowed eight plays of 25 yards or more – but only one running play (Auburn's Ben Tate for 36 yards). Four of them are kickoff returns . . . Three true freshmen have played this season for the Bulls – WR Dontavia Bogan, OL Sampson Genus and RB Mike Ford . . . USF has owned the first and third quarters this year, outscoring opponents 28-3 and 24-3, respectively . . . Since missing four of his first five attempts, Delbert Alvarado has made consecutive field goals of 18, 32, 23 and 40 yard
 10 years ago '05        #55
booker20 
space
space
WVU MOUNTAINEERS
Last week we learned . . .

That this defense may be for real after all. After handing out 277 and 387 yards to Western Michigan and Marshall respectively, WVU has held Maryland to 270 and East Carolina to 160 total offense in respective weeks. Most of those yards and two touchdowns came in garbage time. WVU had no sacks after five games in 2006. It currently owns 16 by seven players after four games. WVU quarterbacks Pat White and Jarrett Brown handed the ball off to eight different Mountaineers and threw passes to eight others in the 48-7 ECU rout. WVU averages almost 400 yards rushing, 525 yards of total offense and 47 points per game. The defense allows about 2.5 yards per carry. Since Eric Wicks moved to spur, opponents have put up 215 yards per the last two games.
WVU will win if . . .

Quarterback Pat White operates the option and finds bubble screen receivers. An improving passer, White completed 18 of 20 throws against ECU, many of them coming on the screen where WVU sent three receivers to one side of the formation and chose one guy to swing it to. USF's corners are the best White has faced since the 2005 Sugar Bowl against Georgia. The focus will likely be on the gameplan for the Bulls' outside linebackers. Will they remain inside to stop the option or tag along outside to try to stop either Darius Reynaud, Slaton or Brandon Hogan?
WVU will lose if . . .
USF Sam linebacker Tyrone McKenzie can make plays in space and helps stall West Virginia's inside zone option. DE George Selvie, S Carlton Williams and CB Mike Jenkins will get theirs if White is forced to become more one-dimensional. West Virginia's receiving corps is limited. Only Reynaud has registered double-digit receptions (23). The other primary pass catchers – Dorrell Jalloh and Hogan – have combined for just 13 catches through four games.
The X-factor could be . . .
North Fort Myers true freshman Noel Devine and St. Petersburg true freshman Jock Sanders. The speedy Devine is averaging 11 yards on just 24 carries in four games. He is the perfect closer for Slaton. Sanders, an all-purpose back, is returning home for the first time since August. Another X factor: WVU's 38 penalty yards per game equals mucho hidden yardage.
WVSports.com Predicts
Moutaineers win 38-13: Third straight national TV cast. Third straight road packed house. White is healthy this time around.
KEY MATCHUP
USF DE George Selvie vs. WVU Tackles

George Selvie is the best defensive end West Virginia has faced since Virginia Tech and Miami were members of the Big East Conference. The sophomore currently leads the nation in sacks (8.5) and tackles for loss (15). On Friday, Selvie will play against two experienced junior tackles for the Mountaineers, Ryan Stanchek and Jake Figner. Stanchek has started 25 straight games on the left side; Figner has started 17 straight on the right. Fullback Owen Schmitt will no doubt be asked to chip down to help out, but Selvie is playing dominating football right now.
QUOTABLE
WVU's Rich Rodriguez

"They've got great team speed. Being located in Florida with their tremendous high school ball and athletes, Jim (Coach Leavitt) has been able to build his program. All but 10 on their roster are from Florida. They're gonna be one of the fastest defenses we'll face. They've got speed all over the place. We'll have to get a hat on hat."
 10 years ago '05        #56
booker20 
space
space
Steve Slaton – Key Stats
West Virginia

WVU's Steve Slaton is No. 1 among all active NCAA players in rushing – averaging 125 yards per game and 6.3 yards per carry. The junior has played in 27 games as a Mountaineer, has eclipsed 100 yards 19 times, rushed for 3,374 total yards and scored 47 touchdowns. But in two games against South Florida, Slaton has just 129 yards on 46 carries (2.8 ypc) and scored one TD. His 43 yards on 18 attempts last year against the Bulls were the lowest regular-season totals of his career.
EXTRA POINTS
West Virginia

Since 2000, WVU is 47-1 when scoring 30 points or more in a game . . . Rich Rodriguez will be going for his 100th career win on Friday. Rodriguez is 99-60-2 as a head coach. He is in his seventh season at West Virginia, where he is 54-24 . . . WVU has scored on 22 of its past 23 trips into the red zone, including 19 touchdowns . . . Although the Mountaineers have nearly tripled opponents in scoring (189-68), they hold only a little more than one minute edge in average time of possession (30:28 to 29:28) – a testament to their quick-strike capability. WVU has 10 scoring drives this season of two minutes or less . . . Pat White is the all-time Big East leader in rushing yards for a quarterback with 2,457 yards and counting . . . White, Slaton and Devine aren't WVU's only rushing threats, WR Reynaud had 221 rushing yards a year ago and has 59 on four attempts this season . . . The 189 points West Virginia has scored (47.3 per game) is its most after four games during Rodriguez's tenure and the most since 1988 when the Mountaineers scored 193 in four weeks . . . WVU has 19 Floridians on its current roster, including Tampa natives WR Tito Gonzales and DB Eddie Davis . . . West Virginia is 19-7 in road games the past five seasons. That's the fifth best winning percentage in the nation, behind Southern Cal, Boise State, Auburn and LSU . . . The Mountaineers have not lost a game in September in the past four years and have won 16 in a row in the month . . . WVU is 25-24-1 all-time in games played on Friday . . . West Virginia has 16 sacks through four weeks to lead the Big East. It took WVU five weeks last season to record its first sack.
 10 years ago '05        #57
booker20 
space
space
:wow: no respect from WVUsports.com 38-13 in our house... best believe Im calling my boys on the team with this... I believe they are right on the X-factors the Devine and Sanders... McKenzie was tackling Adrian Peterson for the last year, no offense but slaton is no A.D.
 09-27-2007, 08:15 PM         #58
AHHH  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wvu by 17 aint no way rich rod lets that sh*t happen again this year.

but imma bout the canes 3-1 gon win tha acc this year
 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM         #59
AlCapone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cant wait
 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM         #60
AlCapone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The Big Game
By John Antonik for MSNsportsNET.com
September 24, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The biggest game in Florida this week? Auburn at Florida in Gainesville? Alabama facing Florida State in Jacksonville? Duke playing at Miami? No, the biggest game in the Sunshine State is unquestionably No. 5 West Virginia playing No. 18 South Florida in Tampa on Friday night.

It’s an early-season Big East showdown matching two nationally ranked teams.

Ten years ago who would have ever thought that South Florida would be the site of the most appealing college football game in the state of Florida? That speaks volumes for the job Bulls coach Jim Leavitt has done building the South Florida program, and also for the job Rich Rodriguez has done making his West Virginia program one of college football’s marquee attractions.

The Mountaineers have played before two sellouts already at Milan Puskar Stadium, the largest crowd in the history of Marshall’s Joan C. Edwards Stadium, and the fifth-largest crowd in the history of Maryland’s Chevy Chase Bank Stadium, formerly Byrd Stadium.

Electric environments are becoming a common feature of West Virginia football games.

“We’ve gotten tested at times,” was Rich Rodriguez’s reply to one reporter questioning his team’s early season schedule on Monday morning’s Big East coaches’ conference call. “Every time we play somebody we feel like we’re going to take their best shot. We played a very talented Maryland team on the road and that was a hostile environment.”

According to Monday’s Tampa Tribune, the Bulls are expecting to officially sell out the game by Wednesday or Thursday, topping the previous school record for attendance at 65,000-seat Raymond James Stadium by more than 20,000. The school has also issued 12,501 student tickets for the game, exceeding by one ticket the amount allotted for West Virginia home football games.

“I don’t know what to expect," said South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe. “I know it is going to be loud after last week when North Carolina’s quarterback looked spastic trying to get the play off. That was with only 38,000. I can’t imagine how loud it will be with 65,000.”

A pre-game concert is scheduled in the parking lot between 5:45 and 7:15 pm before Friday night’s 8 pm kickoff.

“Our guys know what they’re up against,” Rodriguez said. “They know what kind of talent South Florida has and the environment … from what we understand it may be sold out and there is going to be a tremendous amount of excitement on Friday night so it should be a fun atmosphere.”

USF’s Leavitt is simply taking it all in stride.

“Am I surprised that we’re getting a sellout crowd? No, I thought the day would come some day,” Leavitt said Monday afternoon. “That doesn’t surprise me, when, what, how, where. I’m not concerned with all of that.”

Leavitt believes some of the excitement can be attributed to the fact that South Florida has finally found a permanent home in a BCS conference.

“It is the longest we’ve ever been in a conference,” he explained. “Think about it, it’s the first time we’ve ever been in a conference for three years … third year. That’s never happened. Some teams have been in a conference for, I don’t know, maybe 80 years.”

Leavitt recalls what it was like getting a Division I program started only 11 years ago.

“I was real concerned with making sure we had a washer and dryer, and getting that drain big enough,” Leavitt said. “I worried about using our coaches’ cars to keep the lights on our players. I want our players to realize that every day is really important. It is special to be and live here and to go to school and interact with people.”

The last nine months have produced a lot of firsts for the South Florida program. A win on the road against a Top 10 team at West Virginia, a bowl victory against East Carolina in the PapaJohn’s.com Bowl, the school’s first-ever Top 25 appearance two weeks ago, and now possibly the first sellout home football game in school history.

“Sometimes I reflect in the summer and I sit back and walk where the trailers were and I say, ‘Hey, we got a facility now.’ We’ve taken steps,” Leavitt said. “We now have a locker room. We have a weight room. We have offices and we have meeting rooms. We didn’t always have those things when we were a few years old.”

South Florida also has the respect of Rich Rodriguez. The Bulls derailed West Virginia’s chances of making a second straight BCS bowl appearance last year. The loss still sticks in the craw of many of the WVU players.

“(Last year’s loss) may be mentioned a little bit but I’m not a big guy harping on the so-called revenge factor,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t think that plays much of an issue in the game as far as those kinds of emotions go.

“If it helps your guys get focused during the week that’s fine,” Rodriguez said. “Once the ball is kicked off what has happened in the past is certainly in the past. It’s what’s going on right now that’s important.”

‘What’s going on right now’ is the most important college football game in the Sunshine State this weekend. And South Florida is where it’s being played.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
46 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
84 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
57 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
When You Catch The Homie Wearin Fake Red 11s
18 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
50 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
129 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy