Aug 13 - 50 Cent: "Shut Me Up, I Dare You" (HDX Interview)

most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
165 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Suavementeee Besameee
21 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-13-2007, 04:23 PM         #1
5837 pageviews
74 comments

Danja2Society 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Aug 13 - 50 Cent: "Shut Me Up, I Dare You" (HDX Interview)

50 Cent has a lot on his plate today. He has to do multiple interviews with rags and online ‘zines – all hoping to get something unique from the man born Curtis Jackson. With his third commercially available album set for release on September 11th – 50 is as anxious to get the buzz spread about the new album. But the King of Queens has seen his fair share of rocks being thrown at his throne. Nemesis’ such as The Game, Nas and Cam’ron all attacking hip-hop’s bully in the press, during shows and even on YouTube.

Even though Curtis takes it in stride, the constant questions irk him as he ponders why should anyone compare him to anyone else. His sales from Get Rich Or Die Tryin’ and The Massacre easily conquer his opponents. And after acquiring chips du jour from Glacéau and keeping his name in everyone’s radar with dropping arguably another classic with "I Get Money". HipHopDX.com had the luxury of sitting down with 50 Cent as Curtis speaks on Curtis, vents his frustration and confusion with Young Buck and dispels rumors about a relationship between him and Ciara.

HHDX: A lot has changed since the album’s original release date in June. After all the hype surrounded by the album – are you happy with the end result of the product?
50 Cent: Yeah, absolutely. I’m happy with it. When I initially started, I was happy with the project. But what I have right now, I think that it will impact the public right now. I make my music for everyone, but at the same time, when I’m in the studio – that’s what’s exciting for me. I make it for the general public. I got songs for me that I made and I enjoy it, but I’ll never put them out. Conceptually, they’re a little bit too much for others to ever accept from 50 Cent. You have some artists who simplify their sound; they have a good time with the music and enjoy what they’re doing. Look at how music is now – it’s nothing to really think about. You hear the song once and you’ll know the hook. From “Ay Bay Bay” to “Straight to the Bank,” it’s about the hook. I’m coming down off of what I would do initially when I would make these songs up, which is already having the chorus built into the song. Everyone knows that I’m a chorus driven artist, but I’m really trying to make an effort to showcase the skills.

HHDX: The streets are really buzzing about that “I Get Money” track – how did the track come about?

50 Cent: That’s one where the chorus came already built in. The guy who produced it [Scott Boogie] had never sold a beat before. So, it was a monster track. I got records from Timbaland, Dr. Dre, Kanyé West, Will.I.Am and Swizz Beatz – just to name a few. I had done five records with Swizz, but they’ll end up on the next G-Unit album. At the same time, I’m being aware of what the public is wanting. The single makes me feel like how "In Da Club" was at the beginning of my career. I think that it’s one of those songs that’ll have longevity to it. There are other big records that came out in the last two years while I was gone, but it took awhile for them to grow in the public eye. Jim Jones had "Ballin’" ("We Fly High") and that was out for a year. You had that Rich Boy song – "Throw Some D’s On It" and that was out for nine months. It takes a long time for others to hear it and get it to where it needs to be.

HHDX: There’s a rumor that you’re planning on dropping two albums in 2008, in hopes of getting off of Interscope. Is that true?

50 Cent: As everyone knows, I have a five album deal. Curtis is album number three. I started recording Before I Self Destruct, I have completed about twelve songs. Then there is a ‘Greatest Hits’ clause in the contract that I can use as my last album requirement with Shady/Aftermath/Interscope. That’s the plan for the next few albums, after that, that’ll be the end of my contract. The plan for it afterwards is to do what any and everyone else would do – renegotiate. If it works out for the best, you’ll see me there. If not, then I’ll move on…

HHDX: In the last few months, you’ve really enforced your business muscle with G-Unit on a corporate level. With the changes made with the artists being dropped and all that – do you see G-Unit’s stock rising after Curtis’s release?

50 Cent: Man, absolutely… G-Unit is so closely a.ssociated with 50. When I have the people’s ear, they have it, as well. It’s like people will say, “50’s back… G-Unit’s back!” And it’s all based on a record! The hip-hop fan and public are a fickle bunch. We, as artists, have to hold ourselves to a higher consistency. I mean, you have cats like Dre, but he is so talented, he’ll have a hundred beats made in a week. What’s ill is if you don’t know which beat you sound right on, you’ll write to the wrong Dre beat.

HHDX: How’s Detox coming?

50 Cent: He’s working on it. I’ve recorded two songs for him. He’s such a perfectionist. But sometimes that can be a bad thing. You create new pressure when you wait that long. When you put a new album against the last two classics, people will scrutinize it if they become impatient. It happened with this album for me. They’d compare it to the last two by saying that it’s better than the Massacre, but they’re not sure if it’s better than Get Rich Or Die Tryin’. The impression is so deep. This is why Jay-Z’s albums get compared to Reasonable Doubt.

HHDX: A while back, Young Buck was quoted at Starpulse.com saying that the beef between you and The Game needed to end. Do you think that that could be possible?

50 Cent: Buck has his moments, but you have to know that he gets high! He fu*kin’ says sh*t that can’t be fixed. If I never worked with him [Game], there wouldn’t be a beef. If I didn’t like him early on in the career, I wouldn’t have had to do so much for him to create what he had. I came on as part of a business decision. I came up with six songs for his album; three of them were his singles! He [Game] wants to be 50 Cent; in his head, he wants to be me! He wants to do what I did to Ja Rule. But for me, it’s all business… If the people out there like 50 Cent, then buy Game’s album, so I can make more money [laughs]!

74 comments for "Aug 13 - 50 Cent: "Shut Me Up, I Dare You" (HDX Interview)"

08-13-2007, 04:24 PM         #2
Danja2Society  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
HHDX: There are those who still think that you and Buck are not seeing eye to eye. Could you clarify on what’s going on between y’all two?

50 Cent: I see eye to eye with him. He’s like my younger brother. He does sh*t that doesn’t make any sense to me, but it is okay. It doesn’t change my relationship with him. Even in your head, I think that you’re an idiot if you walk around with the intention of trouble. You’ve seen him handle trouble when it gets there, though. I don’t want that either. But when a person displays as much disrespect as he does, it’s hard to continue to conduct business. If you look at it, his opportunity is thanks to me! Dre was going to drop him at the time. I don’t know why someone would be so disrespectful. I’ll tell anyone that they got to function on their own. They should write their own albums and do their own thing. When they need a.ssistance, I’ll be there. They’re all credible artists, man. They’re the better rappers in my head. If people don’t point to G-Unit and say that creatively these guys deliver, then something is wrong. It’s not like I got to help them with their verses. They do it in the same spot that I’m doing mines. So, I treat them as credible artists.

HHDX: But he wasn’t in the “I Get Money” video…

50 Cent: They all have their separate careers, but Buck, at that time, was on tour in Canada. I was lucky to get the rest of them to show up. Nothing in G-Unit splits up unless I say that I’m not fu*kin’ with them. After that, then they can split up. Other than that, nobody is going anywhere. They are contractually bound to a company. If they say otherwise, they’re going crazy… I still own the project. The buying public didn’t know who these people were until I introduced them…

HHDX: Speaking of “I Get Money” – Jim Jones had said that he wouldn’t mind working with you in the future. Is there anything in the works with that?
50 Cent: I’m not sure if I’m going to do it, yet. Jim Jones is one of the smarter guys out of the Diplomats crew. He’s just focusing on business opposed to beef. Cam jumped out the window. So, right now, Jim’s generating the interest that’s keeping that crew alive. But like everyone else, he’s going to be faced with doing it again. If he does, he’ll be cold as ice. As far as for the other guy, Cam’ron, he’s a lucky guy…

HHDX: Why?

50 Cent: …Because I’m talking about him. The fact that he said something on the air, that ain’t beef, son! If it had some substance for it to turn into something, it would’ve already been like that. It would’ve been on some street sh*t. I said it in an actual interview that he thinks that he could fu*k with me. He was making comparisons about Jim’s sales versus Lloyd Banks’… but its 50 Cent and Cam’ron on the phone [laughs]. I sold 8 million records, B! Don’t talk to me about them dudes while it’s you and me talking on the air! What I’ve done to the general public, outside of Tupac, is become a believable individual. I’ve given them a more vivid description of my lifestyle than a lot of cats in the game. I felt like that with Tupac. That’s the only comparison. I don’t got any “Thug Life” comparisons. We weren’t similar in that regards. But people understand what I’m talking about. When I go on TV, radio, anywhere… the ratings go up.

HHDX: With rap music and the industry both musically and business-wise not up to par, you and Kanyé have albums that are anticipated, yet are dropping on the same day. How do you think that this affect the culture and the business of hip-hop as a whole?

50 Cent: I think that it’s good for hip-hop music, period. Kanyé is a great producer. So, we’re going to see what’s going to happen. I actually went to see him while I was making this album to see if he had something that’d change my perception of my own project. We’ve worked together on this album. The ill part of it is where I don’t like it where they try to make it seem like a competition. I don’t think it’d affect sales, but it’d be the marketing that gets affected. The idea of making him my competition doesn’t make sense because I’ve sold three times the amount of what he’s sold. That means any rapper can come out and say that they’re competing with me. What’s going to happen afterwards? You know what…?

HHDX: What’s that?

50 Cent: I just came up with an idea, man… Let’s see who gets trophies for having the best record. My first album sold 872,000 and then 822,000 the next week! Usually, there is a 40-50% decrease in an album’s sales. Mines had a 70% increase. Check this out, when the second album came out, I sold 1.14 in four days! I accomplished a feat of bringing back my core base of fans and increasing upon that market. As we go into this third record, "I Get Money" is growing. I don’t know if it’ll be peaking at the time the album drops, but I also have the joint with Justin Timberlake. What people don’t realize is that we’re in the business of selling music, but it’s also about creating public interest. If the record doesn’t sell at all, if I sold 200,000 copies, then you can say that my run is over…

HHDX: Fifty, I just wanted to know… how’d you manage to get Ciara to forget about Lil’ Bow Wow?

50 Cent: [Laughs] You’re a nut, man! They came at me about doing the song and I heard the joint. It was before her album came out and I was thinking that she’s the future of R&B. People love Beyoncé, but look at how long she’s been around! I think that she’s dope, though. But I’m about the future of the business and her [Ciara] and Chris Brown are just that. They’re going to be the best things out in a lil’ bit. But as far as what people think between me and her, man… [laughs], the video did that.

08-13-2007, 04:27 PM         #3
icedout921  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I aint even read all that but why is this man still talking?
 08-13-2007, 04:37 PM         #4
KingoBling  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ok i get money a classic??? hahahaha hahahhaha , man i actually laughed when i read that. have u listened to the lyrics, i bet his son wrote it. the beat dont make a track classic
 10 years ago '05        #5
clarence1986 
space
space
$4,551 | Props total: 5 5
 icedout921 said:
I aint even read all that but why is this man still talking?

cuz people are still asking
 08-13-2007, 05:15 PM         #6
Ya'll Fags  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
*doesnt read as well*

can't wait til he flops and starts blaming the fans
 10 years ago '05        #7
aRs0NisT 
space
space
space
$1,373 | Props total: 0 0
i actually read the article..half of it was some bs..the rest was real... i gotta give props to the kid.. i don't know which album im coppin..
 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM         #8
icedout921  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Make_a_WIsh said:
so u saw the title cam in didnt read it all and start puttin out a comment.

u have too much time in u hands.

and btw to answer ur question:hes tryin to market himself and givin are interviews is part of the process.why are u this suprised??
Yes the whole 10 seconds it took me to post in this thread shows i got too much time on my hands espically considering im bored at work.

Why am i suprised? Maybe becuase hes doing 2 or 3 interviews a day saying the same sh*t and hes dumb enough to think this will help him sell records. Maybe if he spent more time in the studio instead of doing interviews he'd actually have a hot track to put out.
 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM         #9
D.C.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im going to laugh when he sells 2-400k the first week, and then barely goes platinum.

(I Get Money is a banger, but the lyrics suck, should have given the beat to Luda)

Last edited by D.C.; 08-13-2007 at 05:26 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #10
mt fuji 17 heat pts17
space
space
$11,377 | Props total: 461 461
 KingoBling said:
ok i get money a classic??? hahahaha hahahhaha , man i actually laughed when i read that. have u listened to the lyrics, i bet his son wrote it. the beat dont make a track classic
that sh*t is a banger tho

sh*t lyrically in the club was trash too but lok what that song did for him

i get money bangs man,and i'm far from a 50 cent fan
 08-13-2007, 06:00 PM         #11
djmarkuz91  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Kanye work on 50's album. ????
 08-13-2007, 06:07 PM         #12
arris  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
seriously, if you like music buying two ablums shouldn't be a problem
 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM         #13
90s_Kid  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hip hop is also about the business, it's a good ticket for black people to make money and get themselves out of the rutt society has put them in.

Y'all can talk all you want on how life is different now and all is good between races, but honestly, it ain't. And as sad as it is, the game is all about money. The more money you have, the more changes you can make.

2pac was serious with his plan, make as much money as you can to help those less forutnate and raise the nation.

don't get me wrong tho, I love hip-hop as a music too, to death. Just that, you can have both, but fif, is just money money money.

He better be giving something back...

"If you ain't in the rap game, fo' the muthafu*kin' cash mayn, than what is your mutha fu*kin' purpose..." EDI - bomb first.
 10 years ago '04        #14
jeehtoven 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,645 | Props total: 470 470
I dunno...I think he's gonna do crazy numbers.

But yeah, 50 and Kayne worked together, but 50 decided last minute that he didn't want to add it to the album.
 10 years ago '05        #15
NoRtH$iDe_FeeLO 
space
space
$988 | Props total: 0 0
lol at i get money bein classic. he jus rappin bout money like anybody else over a typical g-unit sounding beat. go out and do a promo tour like cham doin for his album instead of doin interviews
 10 years ago '05        #16
yunsta 24 heat pts24
space
space
$1,916 | Props total: 612 612
^^ i thought the kanye track was on the album?
 10 years ago '04        #17
Jamaro85 
space
space
$10,610 | Props total: 3 3
Does this cat not realize he's sh*tting on his own crew in these interviews? He says some sh*t like "we're family" then says "I'm in control. They're contractually bound to me, and they ain't going anywhere unless I say so." I don't understand this guy
 10 years ago '05        #18
I_REP_VA 10 heat pts10
space
space
$7,726 | Props total: 1873 1873
 RamazedAGAIN said:
50 k!lled hip hop,,,,turned into being about the business instead of music.
stfu.. i hate people like you.. hatin on da money

MUSIC IS A BUSINESS GET OVER IT
 10 years ago '04        #19
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,002 | Props total: 771 771
Shutting him up would be nice, but Danja refuses to stop posting threads about him... like he is his hype man or something.
 10 years ago '05        #20
ThaDonofDC 
space
space
$1,286 | Props total: 350 350
 NoRtH$iDe_FeeLO said:
lol at i get money bein classic. he jus rappin bout money like anybody else over a typical g-unit sounding beat. go out and do a promo tour like cham doin for his album instead of doin interviews
:applause::applause::applause:
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
33 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
286 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
148 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
74 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
65 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
54 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
46 comments
24 hours ago