Is Hip Hop Dead ....??? Discuss Your Opinions Here.

most viewed right now
Video inside Migos run up on Joe Budden and Akademiks
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
49 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
57 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
64 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

'i think i'm outgrowing hip hop'
Yeah, hip hop is almost irrelevant to me now. this new shit is garbage 1 25.00%
If you outgrew hiphop, that means you were never really a fan to begin with 1 25.00%
Fuck that noise, you trendy motherfucker 0 0%
Yo whatever, b 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #341
jewelz1132 5 heat pts
space
space
$12,669 | Props total: 2201 2201
 mega_soulstar said:
another thing is yall people take music wayyyyyyyyyyyy to serious.........don't forget it's just music...aka entertainment
I think thats something you should tell to the youth
 07-19-2008, 11:42 AM         #342
youngholla  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 mega_soulstar said:
it aint dead i think its just evolving into something else......remember back in the days rappers weren't all that lyrical....it evolved... just about everybody's top 4 g.o.a.t.s. not in order....pac, nas, jay-z, biggie...you dont hear about Kool Herc, Africa Bambaada, Cold Krush, Funky Four Plus 1 More, Reverend Run, Darrel McDaniels, Jason Mizzel, Kool G. Rap, Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone, Big Daddy Kane....in anybody's top 4, 5, why is that???????????
i guess it just varys on the era you grew up in and what youve experienced through in that era...i'm from new orleans in the 80's era, what some calls "the crack era"...so i relate more that music from that time...sure i like artist like rakim, daddy kane, and others but they were before my time...
 9 years ago '07        #343
Jiraiya 132 heat pts132
space
space
$11,748 | Props total: 1810 1810
youve got artists like lupe fiasco and kanye west keeping the game alive...somehow i think hip hop is dying but in the future itll be viewed as a period of transition while we look at it and know better...hip hop lost
 9 years ago '04        #344
MILLYMILL2000 
space
space
$714 | Props total: 3 3
 mega_soulstar said:
it aint dead i think its just evolving into something else......remember back in the days rappers weren't all that lyrical....it evolved... just about everybody's top 4 g.o.a.t.s. not in order....pac, nas, jay-z, biggie...you dont hear about Kool Herc, Africa Bambaada, Cold Krush, Funky Four Plus 1 More, Reverend Run, Darrel McDaniels, Jason Mizzel, Kool G. Rap, Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone, Big Daddy Kane....in anybody's top 4, 5, why is that???????????
The reason they aren't in a lot of peoples top 5 is because that wasn't there time. They didn't grow up hearing them. I was born in 77 so I had the oppurtunity to hear a lot of these artist. Someone born in the late 80' early 90's probably haven't heard them. I'm also from NY the birthplace of rap so I'm gonna have an advantage over someone who wasn't born in the Tri-State area. Other regions have put the imprint on hip hop and that's a good thing it just shows the growth of hip hop. But with this growth Legends were forgotten. It's a shame you should know where you come from to know where you're gowing.
 9 years ago '04        #345
MILLYMILL2000 
space
space
$714 | Props total: 3 3
 youngholla said:
i guess it just varys on the era you grew up in and what youve experienced through in that era...i'm from new orleans in the 80's era, what some calls "the crack era"...so i relate more that music from that time...sure i like artist like rakim, daddy kane, and others but they were before my time...

True story. Now if you would just take off that wack a.ss yankee hat, and put a real hat (Mets), you would be too cool for school. Just joking man :applause::applause:

Last edited by MILLYMILL2000; 07-19-2008 at 11:50 AM..
 07-19-2008, 11:52 AM         #346
youngholla  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 mega_soulstar said:
another thing is yall people take music wayyyyyyyyyyyy to serious.........don't forget it's just music...aka entertainment
who's to say whats entertainment now-a-days....its all bias, because some say that music with positive messages should be taken seriously, but when its not what some veiws as positive, than its only entertainment...imo music is what you make it, but its' up to you as an individual to seperate reality from ficton

Last edited by youngholla; 07-19-2008 at 11:53 AM..
 07-19-2008, 12:02 PM         #347
youngholla  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MILLYMILL2000 said:
True story. Now if you would just take off that wack a.ss yankee hat, and put a real hat (Mets), you would be too cool for school. Just joking man :applause::applause:
lol, thats whats up pimpin...but jeter>>>>>>>
 9 years ago '08        #348
daytona500 
space
space
$1,052 | Props total: 0 0
it ain't dead yet but if rappers don't step up it might die
 9 years ago '07        #349
J-Calli 
space
space
$404 | Props total: 0 0
Hip hip was aborted so nas breathes life back into the embryo

So far this year, i would have to say it is not dead at all. Nas just brought abosolute heat lyrically so the art is not dead and the album is not for no fu*king punks either, true hip hop heads. People need to learn from that and make music THEY WANT not what THEY THINK WILL SELL.

Lil Wayne, as dissapointed as i was with the album, sold 1 mil first week so on that basis it aint either, and beleive me i was REAL dissapointed. I must say though, Dr Carter was an absolute banger of a track, hip hop at its near best.

With Royce & Crooked I to drop, REAL HIP HIP is alive.:D
 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM         #350
Rob_136  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It's on life support....

current mainstream artists that seem to keep it alive is...

- Kanye
- Nas
- Jay-Z
- Lupe
- Common
- Pharrell

I wouldn't say game even though he is making nice music but he needs to drop the whole "gangsta" gimmick.
 9 years ago '06        #351
Dapper Don 
space
space
space
$861 | Props total: 0 0
hip-hop will never die. KRS said that hip-hop is something you live, rapping is something you do. as per the musical aspect of hip-hop, it is in the crapper, to be nice.
 07-21-2008, 09:34 AM         #352
A.O.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 mega_soulstar said:
Thats what fans of lil wayne say...

HIP HOP is not entertainment... Unless your life is a fu*king joke...

Music can make entertaining songs... like "Pass the covoursier" and sh*t like that... Music Videos are entertaining...

But the MUSIC is not just for entertainment.

For example I'm an Artist... I'll take Joe Buddens as this example... the song "All of Me" from Mood Music 3.

(lyrics messed up)
"Doctors telling me i have brain tumor and never knew it, I pressed 7 took the phone from my ears, I aint call back in fear of being speechless, what was i to put her at peace with? I picked a real bad time to be strategic"

^^^ Somebody can possibly relate to that, so how the fu*k is that entertainment?

Again lets go back in the day...

"Had 2nd hands, moms bounced on old man" - Raekwon - "Cream"

^^^ n*ggas can relate to that, how the fu*k is that entertainment

"My man wil buried in his fila suit and heavy chain" - Nas "My way"

^^^ Thats how they buried his man, n*ggas can relate to that, How the fu*k is that entertainment?

Yes music does have songs that are enterainment like Busta Rhymes "Woohaa" and all of that bullsh*t... but Music is not entertainment...

And thats why hip hop is dead...

also because rappers are also hypocritical...

Every rappers a gangster rapper... Til some gangsta sh*t happens, then they want to be interviews talking about "We make these songs, theres are not our real lives, this is just entertainment" but thats only cause them bi*ch a.ss n*ggas is trying to sell, that gangsters dont appreciate it...

You dont see Columbian drug lords, or Miami drug lords coming after Will Smith for his roles in "Bad Boys" and "Bad boys 2" you know why? BECAUSE THATS ENTERTAINMENT....

n*ggas listen to music, and they relate to it... So if you have a n*gga talking this i bust guns, i wear my jewelry every where, i wear whatever color i want... Real n*ggas is going to test that man, and when n*ggas get robbed, beat up, and shot... Thats when n*ggas want to cop out and say that music is just entertainment...

Well if music is just entertainment, make Barney theme music, or the theme song for Sponge bob... leave the hardcore raps to hardcore n*ggas.

But yea Hip hop is dead.

When was the last time your man called you to go bomb a train?
When was the last time you went break dancing with the n*ggas?
When was the last time you went to a DJ battle?
When was the last time you heard a DJ scratch a record?

Alot of you never even had a 1st of this... but cause your gay favorite rapper like lil wayne sells a mill in a week you want to say hip hops alive... Hip hops alive for him cause hes caking off of it... but hip hop wasnt intended for record sales... Thats why hip hop didnt originate in a big buisness, thats why hip hop originated in the parks of the bronx.
 9 years ago '06        #353
Sir Mike 12 heat pts12
space
space
$5,482 | Props total: 731 731
 Rob_136 said:
It's on life support....

current mainstream artists that seem to keep it alive is...

- Kanye
- Nas
- Jay-Z
- Lupe
- Common
- Pharrell

I wouldn't say game even though he is making nice music but he needs to drop the whole "gangsta" gimmick.
cosign
 9 years ago '04        #354
jeehtoven 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,645 | Props total: 470 470
 A.O. said:

Music can make entertaining songs... like "Pass the covoursier" and sh*t like that... Music Videos are entertaining...

For example I'm an Artist... I'll take Joe Buddens as this example... the song "All of Me" from Mood Music 3.

(lyrics messed up)
"Doctors telling me i have brain tumor and never knew it, I pressed 7 took the phone from my ears, I aint call back in fear of being speechless, what was i to put her at peace with? I picked a real bad time to be strategic"

^^^ Somebody can possibly relate to that, so how the fu*k is that entertainment?

^^^ Thats how they buried his man, n*ggas can relate to that, How the fu*k is that entertainment?

Yes music does have songs that are enterainment like Busta Rhymes "Woohaa" and all of that bullsh*t... but Music is not entertainment...

And thats why hip hop is dead...

also because rappers are also hypocritical...

Every rappers a gangster rapper... Til some gangsta sh*t happens, then they want to be interviews talking about "We make these songs, theres are not our real lives, this is just entertainment" but thats only cause them bi*ch a.ss n*ggas is trying to sell, that gangsters dont appreciate it...

You dont see Columbian drug lords, or Miami drug lords coming after Will Smith for his roles in "Bad Boys" and "Bad boys 2" you know why? BECAUSE THATS ENTERTAINMENT....

n*ggas listen to music, and they relate to it... So if you have a n*gga talking this i bust guns, i wear my jewelry every where, i wear whatever color i want... Real n*ggas is going to test that man, and when n*ggas get robbed, beat up, and shot... Thats when n*ggas want to cop out and say that music is just entertainment...

Well if music is just entertainment, make Barney theme music, or the theme song for Sponge bob... leave the hardcore raps to hardcore n*ggas.

But yea Hip hop is dead.

When was the last time your man called you to go bomb a train?
When was the last time you went break dancing with the n*ggas?
When was the last time you went to a DJ battle?
When was the last time you heard a DJ scratch a record?

Alot of you never even had a 1st of this... but cause your gay favorite rapper like lil wayne sells a mill in a week you want to say hip hops alive... Hip hops alive for him cause hes caking off of it... but hip hop wasnt intended for record sales... Thats why hip hop didnt originate in a big buisness, thats why hip hop originated in the parks of the bronx.
I see what you're saying...but keep in mind that they used to bomb trains and scratch records partially because they didn't have much money, so they were closer to the art than rappers are now. Let's be honest: you really don't make money selling records. It's the shows and merchandise and other business ventures where you make your money. Nowadays there's more money involved, so these rappers aren't doing it like they used to: they're not as close to the actual art as they were back in the 80's.

I mean, in my eyes, hip-hop is what it is. People are making more money in it. There's more cash flow going towards it. So, the lifestyles have changed. I mean, in terms of style, I would think that they are trying to preserve it, but the only things these rappers look at is rock and roll. You see the style going towards that, right? Even now, the music is going that way (less break beats, more natural drums), and that's because these artists are getting the money to get those drums, to get those live instruments.

All I'm saying is that you have to look at it in perspective. I agree with you because you should look where you come from and see where you're going. It seems that artists aren't looking at hip-hop pioneers, but more or less at rock stars for inspiration. That shouldn't be the case. However, with the possible income opportunities that are increasing with the genre, you can't be surprised at how it's going. Artists have too much money to bomb a train. They can do it on a T-Shirt. You're not going to hear scratches as much as they used to. You have the instrument to get the break that you've always wanted.

After saying that, I do miss hip-hop in its purest form. I revamped the iPod with some of the classics myself...
 9 years ago '05        #355
mega_soulstar 
space
space
$1,484 | Props total: 0 0
 A.O. said:

(lyrics messed up)

I get what your saying but those songs that you put up could be argued as not being hip-hop because of the lyrics alone...........and i say that because arguably when the so called hip hop era started is was mostly dance music...something to break dance to.....so if hip-hop is not entertainment then what is it?????........I think some music go beyond hip-hop and should be classified another way such as some of those lyrics u put up......................................personally love the "all of me" song but I can't say its hip-hop.........I say it's MOOD MUZIK.......I Don't know in the words of Young Buck "I Just get a lil confused *sniff* *sniff*"
 9 years ago '04        #356
jeehtoven 51 heat pts51
space
space
Ever since rappers wanted that 'hot single,' rap hasn't been the same. If MCs started using the same producers (who shows variety), then we'll start getting that classic sh*t that the feens are looking for.
 9 years ago '05        #357
Wasted|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$12,305 | Props total: 69 69

Ok I am sick of seeing threads upon threads of why Hip Hop is dead so I decided to put everyone's opinions, reasons and theories in one thread so we can have a discussion on it.

I have added a few key points to why Hip Hop is dead so we can start the discussion off. (SEE FIRST PAGE).

Any key points you think I can add to the thread that will contribute to why Hip Hop is dying? (Or is it? Maybe it isn't? - Discuss!!) please message me and I will added on.

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Wasted; 07-21-2008 at 11:48 AM..
 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM         #358
A.O.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jeehtoven said:
I see what you're saying...but keep in mind that they used to bomb trains and scratch records partially because they didn't have much money, so they were closer to the art than rappers are now. Let's be honest: you really don't make money selling records. It's the shows and merchandise and other business ventures where you make your money. Nowadays there's more money involved, so these rappers aren't doing it like they used to: they're not as close to the actual art as they were back in the 80's.

I mean, in my eyes, hip-hop is what it is. People are making more money in it. There's more cash flow going towards it. So, the lifestyles have changed. I mean, in terms of style, I would think that they are trying to preserve it, but the only things these rappers look at is rock and roll. You see the style going towards that, right? Even now, the music is going that way (less break beats, more natural drums), and that's because these artists are getting the money to get those drums, to get those live instruments.

All I'm saying is that you have to look at it in perspective. I agree with you because you should look where you come from and see where you're going. It seems that artists aren't looking at hip-hop pioneers, but more or less at rock stars for inspiration. That shouldn't be the case. However, with the possible income opportunities that are increasing with the genre, you can't be surprised at how it's going. Artists have too much money to bomb a train. They can do it on a T-Shirt. You're not going to hear scratches as much as they used to. You have the instrument to get the break that you've always wanted.

After saying that, I do miss hip-hop in its purest form. I revamped the iPod with some of the classics myself...
Your looking at it from the money side of hip hop... I dont look at hip hop from that angle because I dont profit off of it... So i could care less what makes an artist more money, and what not... I always felt hip hop was about self expression and how you would do something.. How you would spit on a beat, how you would break to the beat, how you would scratch the record.....

The self element of hip hop has disappeared... Now its "I" got to do this, because so and so did that and he got rich... So i'm going to do that too... Look back at the blueprint album Jay-z sh*t... he went with the soulful sound... and then for the next 2 years... everybodys on that soulful sh*t.. I mean the d*ckriding of element of modern hip hop k!lled the music.

And the d*ckriding comes from the profits... because if such and such is successful doing this bullsh*t.. then i'm going to do it too..

How many artist on their 1st record, already talking about driving benzs, wearing big chains, buying out the bar... etc.. What happen to being hungry? hows everybody already rich coming into rap? and if thats the case, why you get mad when they bootleg your sh*t? You already ballin right?

Ya dig?
 9 years ago '04        #359
jeehtoven 51 heat pts51
space
space
 A.O. said:
Your looking at it from the money side of hip hop... I dont look at hip hop from that angle because I dont profit off of it... So i could care less what makes an artist more money, and what not... I always felt hip hop was about self expression and how you would do something.. How you would spit on a beat, how you would break to the beat, how you would scratch the record.....

The self element of hip hop has disappeared... Now its "I" got to do this, because so and so did that and he got rich... So i'm going to do that too... Look back at the blueprint album Jay-z sh*t... he went with the soulful sound... and then for the next 2 years... everybodys on that soulful sh*t.. I mean the d*ckriding of element of modern hip hop k!lled the music.

And the d*ckriding comes from the profits... because if such and such is successful doing this bullsh*t.. then i'm going to do it too..

How many artist on their 1st record, already talking about driving benzs, wearing big chains, buying out the bar... etc.. What happen to being hungry? hows everybody already rich coming into rap? and if thats the case, why you get mad when they bootleg your sh*t? You already ballin right?

Ya dig?
Point taken, but don't think that these cats that started hip-hop weren't doing it to get paid. Sure, the art form was there, but you had dudes like KRS-One who was HOMELESS until he started rapping. I don't think he would have stayed doing it if he didn't make SOMETHING off of it. Don't get me wrong: he had as much passion as the next rapper who doesn't do it for the dough. However, that was his meal ticket, no matter what.

And yeah, hip-hop is about self expression. That's why it is so intertwined with lifestyle. It still is about self expression; but you can't rule out that there's more money involved in it. It's like nowadays you're losing that sense of expression because there are more resources out there to do what you want to do. Back then, you had ONE producer, and he did the mixing and all the sounds. Nowadays, you have different sound engineers, mixers...sh*t, you have different artists scratching on a record (see Common's "Go" or Kanye "Everything I Am") I just think it's difficult to express yourself entirely if you're not doing it yourself, like they used to back in the days.

True, you didn't have a lot of people talking about buying out the bar, driving benzes, because that WASN'T THE LIFESTYLE. The money simply wasn't there. These dudes were scratching for studio time and demos. That hunger isn't there anymore. It's too easy to get some software to make a beat; people believe in hip-hop so much that wannabes can get that loot to cop equipment themselves. I think that's why we've lost the expression within the art and there's so much d*ckriding.

Keep in mind though that a lot of cats back in the days sounded the same too. They were using the same drum loops and coming with the horns like you hear the synthesizers now with the voiceboxes and the hand claps. Lyrically, there's no sign of that thirst to succeed. You don't hear the tribulations like you did back in the day. You don't get the feeling that an MC is feeling a beat his DJ made so much that he talks about it in a song.

And I don't think n*ggaz jumped onto the soulful sh*t because Blueprint was so successfull. He only went double platinum, compared to Volume 2, which sold 5 million. It had to have been something else. Personally, I think it's because Kanye brought back that Wu sound, with more soulful drums as opposed to Gothic ones that the RZA had. That's just my opinon, though.
 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM         #360
A.O.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jeehtoven said:
Point taken, but don't think that these cats that started hip-hop weren't doing it to get paid. Sure, the art form was there, but you had dudes like KRS-One who was HOMELESS until he started rapping. I don't think he would have stayed doing it if he didn't make SOMETHING off of it. Don't get me wrong: he had as much passion as the next rapper who doesn't do it for the dough. However, that was his meal ticket, no matter what.

And yeah, hip-hop is about self expression. That's why it is so intertwined with lifestyle. It still is about self expression; but you can't rule out that there's more money involved in it. It's like nowadays you're losing that sense of expression because there are more resources out there to do what you want to do. Back then, you had ONE producer, and he did the mixing and all the sounds. Nowadays, you have different sound engineers, mixers...sh*t, you have different artists scratching on a record (see Common's "Go" or Kanye "Everything I Am") I just think it's difficult to express yourself entirely if you're not doing it yourself, like they used to back in the days.

True, you didn't have a lot of people talking about buying out the bar, driving benzes, because that WASN'T THE LIFESTYLE. The money simply wasn't there. These dudes were scratching for studio time and demos. That hunger isn't there anymore. It's too easy to get some software to make a beat; people believe in hip-hop so much that wannabes can get that loot to cop equipment themselves. I think that's why we've lost the expression within the art and there's so much d*ckriding.

Keep in mind though that a lot of cats back in the days sounded the same too. They were using the same drum loops and coming with the horns like you hear the synthesizers now with the voiceboxes and the hand claps. Lyrically, there's no sign of that thirst to succeed. You don't hear the tribulations like you did back in the day. You don't get the feeling that an MC is feeling a beat his DJ made so much that he talks about it in a song.

And I don't think n*ggaz jumped onto the soulful sh*t because Blueprint was so successfull. He only went double platinum, compared to Volume 2, which sold 5 million. It had to have been something else. Personally, I think it's because Kanye brought back that Wu sound, with more soulful drums as opposed to Gothic ones that the RZA had. That's just my opinon, though.

And i respect it...

Dont get it twisted I'm not saying that its a crime to do hip hop for the money. Cause its not... I just think to say Hip Hop is still alive because its succesful is a false way to view it. The aspects of hip hop are dead...You have DJ's coming to parties plugging in ipods and just letting the ipod play and then talking on the mic for 2 seconds... There are no more MC dj's (you know the ones that want the crowd participation) all you get from DJS now "I'm on hot 97 every wednesday, im doing another party on sunday at such and such club" and then other than that they turn the mic off and let the ipod rock...

You can buy a mixtape on the street that was made at home by a n*gga putting MP3s together... no scratching, no transition.. sh*t NO MORE EXCLUSIVES.. remember back in the day when you caught a clue tape that had a song no other dj had... or looking for that Ron G tape with exclusive Nice and Smooth track... or a Kid Capri tape... You can go now pick up a Big Mike Mixtape and everything that is on that tape... will be whats on every other tape... sh*t nowadays you can get a mixtape, and have that same song taken from another mixtape and put on the one you buy..

sh*ts ridiculous. Hardware stores around my house dont even sell spray paint... so a n*gga can tag a truck when he sees one... sh*t... I seen shiny white trucks around my house with no graff on them... I'm like WTF... back in the day if you park a white truck anywhere... that sh*t was getting bombed in a matter of minutes.

All that is Hip hop... and if you aint doing all of it, and you just listening to the music then it is dead... When was the last time you heard a rapper do a free concert even just on the block he grew up on... sh*t nowadays all these rappers say... "I dont rhyme for free"... WTF?

what about the back of the train when you tell your man to be-bop and you and the n*ggas start freestyling... n*ggas dont even do that sh*t no more...
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
36 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
88 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now