Is Hip Hop Dead ....??? Discuss Your Opinions Here.

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
17 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
84 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Read Westbrooks lips to Embiid
66 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

'i think i'm outgrowing hip hop'
Yeah, hip hop is almost irrelevant to me now. this new shit is garbage 1 25.00%
If you outgrew hiphop, that means you were never really a fan to begin with 1 25.00%
Fuck that noise, you trendy motherfucker 0 0%
Yo whatever, b 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '07        #281
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
$41,092 | Props total: 30422 30422
I guess i should also add...

The powers that be no longer need us (the streets) to introduce the suburbs to what's hot anymore. They are now so entreched with the culture that they can now be sold to directly....

Madonna
Justin Timberlake
Janet Jackson
Mariah Carey

Is Soulja Boy considered 'street'?

In a marketing sense... the lines between urban and suburban cultures are blurred. That's why artists no longer have to be 'hot' to us first, before being paraded out to the suburbs.

Last edited by stogz; 05-02-2008 at 08:10 AM..
 05-02-2008, 08:23 AM         #282
Blue Cartwright  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
XXL had a GREAT article about this.

I can't wait to read part 2!
 05-02-2008, 08:27 AM         #283
Young Cutthroat  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lol @ dude sayin my theory doesnt hold any weight. Its not like Im gettin paid to speak my opinion. So I dont give a fu*k what is thought about it...Im just sharing how I feel on the subject since yall are constantly crying about wack a.ss artists.
 10 years ago '05        #284
Str8 outta Cuse 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 49 49
I agree 100% with what you are saying. .but i dont think thats the ONLY reason that hip hop is dead, i think there are 4 or 5 major reasons that the quality of music is so down but im not gonna bother to get into that
 10 years ago '04        #285
Lawgic 
space
space
$3,389 | Props total: 73 73
 stogz said:
Sorry to tell you but, your theory really doesn't hold any weight at all.

'The Streets'? What is that? The ghettos of what... 6-8 major cities? Kids in the ghetto don't usually have disposable income to be purchasing a bunch of CDs from retailers. If you were to look at genre sales via a store-by-store sales report... you would see that the stores in say Los Angeles sold more hip-hop albums than stores in Compton.

'The streets' is nothing more than crediblity for the artists. 'The streets' start talking... then mainstream overhears and want to join in. All you have to do is look at 50 Cent... the most classic example. Dude had no deal in 2000 but, was making music for the streets. Mainstream heard us talking, then he got a deal. You don't think that the group you call 'the streets' are solely responsible for the highest selling hip-hop albums of the 90s sales, do you?

Furthermore, like I said before, 'the streets' don't have a lot of disposable income, thus... they can't make all these purchase from retailers. As far as burning CDs... there are start-up costs involved with burning albums. Can't burn an album without a computer, right? You need internet.... blank cds. So, the majority of the hood ain't burning anything either. Yea, they gonna but cds on the corner 4-for-$10 but, that's about it.. that's affordable.

The dollars in hip-hop is and has always been coming in from the suburbs. There isn't enough 'streets' or money in those 'streets' to cater your entire market to. That's just a fact.

'The streets' make it cool... the suburbs buy it up.
^^^^ pretty much sums it up here

Not knocking the thread starter's original theory, but despite there being a lot more "street" artist/albums back in the 90's it was still white suburbia that made up the biggest percentage of those sales...So when someone says your theory holds no weight, it's not a knock on you, it's just that your theory is already flawed from it's foundation.
 10 years ago '07        #286
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
$41,092 | Props total: 30422 30422
 Lawgic said:
^^^^ pretty much sums it up here

Not knocking the thread starter's original theory, but despite there being a lot more "street" artist/albums back in the 90's it was still white suburbia that made up the biggest percentage of those sales...So when someone says your theory holds no weight, it's not a knock on you, it's just that your theory is already flawed from it's foundation.
Thanx...

guess i shoulda rephrased how i started my reply
 10 years ago '04        #287
m_cullins 62 heat pts62
space
space
$7,535 | Props total: 291 291
Yo i feel like it's happening because n*ggas talked about the streets to much 80's-2008 and then stop talking about life the rap n*ggas are money ho's meaning that will do anything to sell a record. Back in the day Ready to die sold something like 36,000 it's first week but guess what it's a mean album and in due time people realized it was a classic album that's what dudes need to do make good music fu*k the radio and fu*k the sales and make good fu*king albums

Last edited by m_cullins; 05-02-2008 at 02:02 PM..
 10 years ago '06        #288
Crown Loyal 
space
space
$2,435 | Props total: 1 1
 stogz said:
Sorry to tell you but, your theory really doesn't hold any weight at all.

'The Streets'? What is that? The ghettos of what... 6-8 major cities? Kids in the ghetto don't usually have disposable income to be purchasing a bunch of CDs from retailers. If you were to look at genre sales via a store-by-store sales report... you would see that the stores in say Los Angeles sold more hip-hop albums than stores in Compton.

'The streets' is nothing more than crediblity for the artists. 'The streets' start talking... then mainstream overhears and want to join in. All you have to do is look at 50 Cent... the most classic example. Dude had no deal in 2000 but, was making music for the streets. Mainstream heard us talking, then he got a deal. You don't think that the group you call 'the streets' are solely responsible for the highest selling hip-hop albums of the 90s sales, do you?

Furthermore, like I said before, 'the streets' don't have a lot of disposable income, thus... they can't make all these purchase from retailers. As far as burning CDs... there are start-up costs involved with burning albums. Can't burn an album without a computer, right? You need internet.... blank cds. So, the majority of the hood ain't burning anything either. Yea, they gonna but cds on the corner 4-for-$10 but, that's about it.. that's affordable.

The dollars in hip-hop is and has always been coming in from the suburbs. There isn't enough 'streets' or money in those 'streets' to cater your entire market to. That's just a fact.

'The streets' make it cool... the suburbs buy it up.
This is on point right here.
 05-02-2008, 02:38 PM         #289
whokid  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i had a thread like this about 3 weeks ago. Hip hop heads need to buy their favorite artist CD's.

but on a whole new level, the artist gotta know n*ggaz is burning and plan around it. I got an idea - instead of CD, u sell flash drives with songs and these flashdrives are renewable, so when the artist releases new music, u plug it in and get his new sh*t...

but n*ggaz will prolly burn that too...fu*k.

oh well.
*shakes head*

*leaves thread*
 05-02-2008, 03:12 PM         #290
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
These whack a.ss rappers are mainstream and selling because the money is in the hook. Majority of the people don't listen to/understand "Real" lyrics with substance. Thats why majority of tracks try to cater to hood/club.

The most efficient way to increase sales amongst Suburbanites is to gear your tracks towards "The Hood/Club", its called blind marketting. Only thing mainstream focuses on is that hook, thats all a rapper needs these days to blow up. Marketting via Hooks or catchy lyrics and slogans has been in appliance for all types of business because it keeps the song fresh in your mind. All you so-called "Entrepreneurs" on this section should already know this sh*t along with many other alternative methods of marketting.

:afro:
 10 years ago '04        #291
~:Frank White:~ 12 heat pts12
space
space
$1,765 | Props total: 135 135
g-unit...........
 05-18-2008, 02:17 AM         #292
Hurricane24  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
go to cham's myspace page and his blog about the 25 things that k!lled hip hop, its some pretty real sh*t, check it out
 05-18-2008, 02:20 AM         #293
ElMarroAfamado  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lil wayne and the south
 10 years ago '05        #294
th4lb 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,610 | Props total: 3512 3512
hip hop isnt dead its just more commercial, accessible, and popular than before. Now there are a billion different genres of hip hop and the ones (genres/rappers) that actually focus on lyrics(buddens,Lupe, backpackers) aren't really getting alot of attention while the ones that focus on beats and image (party/ rappers like soulja boy, "gansta" rappers) are getting more attention. The purpose of a soulja boy song is not to display lyricism but to get u to dance. There is nothing wrong w/ that even though I prefer songs that focus on lyrical ability. Hip Hop isnt dead its just the hip hop most of us love isnt getting the attention we think it deserves.
 10 years ago '05        #295
benadreal 
space
space
$3,586 | Props total: 73 73
if I could only blame one person i'm going to go with Mr.Collipark. Though the game already had its flaws long before he got involved.

i don't think its dead though, just in a resession. We need more Kanyes, more Little Brothers, more Murs, more Kwelis etc.

Not that the game has to be all lyrical, but it needs to be less clubish. Do you honestly think a rapper like Biggie could come out with Warning right now and do well? maybe, maybe not. But he'd have a better chance comming out with "watch me do this gay dance".
 05-18-2008, 03:23 AM         #296
**P$C**  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the lack of creativity...dudes expect to blow up using the same method as the next...not many rappers bring anything new to the table
i give mad props to the kool kids and kidz in the hall, and the others...for bringing a different element...
 05-18-2008, 04:56 AM         #297
Young Cutthroat  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Execs. and piracy.
 05-18-2008, 07:42 AM         #298
colhu7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
diversity in the main stream. when im drivin i dont want to be doin the superman in my car or snappin my fingers.

also record labels stopped promoting/making artists. i mean you have to develop a fan base. look at nas. he hasnt had a huge hit in a while but he always goes platinum. they just cycle through sh*tty people to do dance songs. lupe and kanye might be the last true artisis in the mainstream.
 10 years ago '06        #299
John_Dillinga 
space
space
$696 | Props total: 0 0
99% of the garbage from the south this includes lil flame, Fire Thief, Soulja Boy, Hurricane Chris, Rick Ross, Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Z-ro, sh*tty Lo, DFB, most Snap rappers in general...

Go ahead get mad haters :applause:

the 1% that remains are the intelligent rappers from the south that don't do Crunk or Snap that actually have something of substance to speak about, Like Scarface, Chamillionare etc...

Last edited by John_Dillinga; 05-18-2008 at 07:54 AM..
 05-18-2008, 07:53 AM         #300
Young Cutthroat  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I guarantee you...if all so-called hip hop heads and gangster rap heads went out to the store and bought music from the artists that they support...then the industry would push that good music. They push what sales, and good hip hop doesnt sale in the store because people download and burn the albums. But people do get up and buy this bubble gum sh*t that u hear on the radio.
I miss the early 90's, if I still heard music like that coming out...I'll definitely buy it and urge others to buy it too. I want the whole industry to go back to where it was at that time. Back then, u heard that gangsta sh*t in the mainstream.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
138 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
112 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
128 comments
2 days ago