Is Hip Hop Dead ....??? Discuss Your Opinions Here.

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
44 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
164 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

'i think i'm outgrowing hip hop'
Yeah, hip hop is almost irrelevant to me now. this new shit is garbage 1 25.00%
If you outgrew hiphop, that means you were never really a fan to begin with 1 25.00%
Fuck that noise, you trendy motherfucker 0 0%
Yo whatever, b 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 04-23-2008, 03:31 PM         #261
XYZYX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The cds sales market has definitely hurt hip-hop in a major way. I also think it is the way hip-hop is marketed, its no longer marketed just to the hip-hop fan but it is now marketed toward every consumer of music. This has brought a lot of fame and fortune for many rappers, which is obviously a positive. However, when hip-hop stopped being a small niche market that corporate America did not want to touch, to everybody listening to it, the overall quality of the music decreased. Thats not the say that their still isn't quality hip-hop but quality hip-hop no longer makes up a majority of the market. Back in the day if you didn't have a lot of mic presence and lyrical talent then you wouldn't get signed, because there wasn't a market for rappers who couldn't rap. Now there is a market where anyone can basically pick up a mic find a hot beat and get signed.

Its truly a double edged sword. I like seeing people like TI, 50, Lil Wayne, etc. make money off rap, even if they aren't the most skilled, because they are true rags to riches stereotypical American Dream achieved type people. And they achieved their dream through hip-hop, one of my favorite American art forms. However, I also miss the days of small market hip-hop especially when local artists dominated their local scenes.

But you can't have both, and for me thats okay, because I love hip-hop unconditionally, and if you don't support it now when its pure garbage you're never going to give it the chance to get better.

Last edited by XYZYX; 04-23-2008 at 03:32 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #262
~:Frank White:~ 12 heat pts12
space
space
$1,766 | Props total: 135 135
 XYZYX said:
The cds sales market has definitely hurt hip-hop in a major way. I also think it is the way hip-hop is marketed, its no longer marketed just to the hip-hop fan but it is now marketed toward every consumer of music. This has brought a lot of fame and fortune for many rappers, which is obviously a positive. However, when hip-hop stopped being a small niche market that corporate America did not want to touch, to everybody listening to it, the overall quality of the music decreased. Thats not the say that their still isn't quality hip-hop but quality hip-hop no longer makes up a majority of the market. Back in the day if you didn't have a lot of mic presence and lyrical talent then you wouldn't get signed, because there wasn't a market for rappers who couldn't rap. Now there is a market where anyone can basically pick up a mic find a hot beat and get signed.

Its truly a double edged sword. I like seeing people like TI, 50, Lil Wayne, etc. make money off rap, even if they aren't the most skilled, because they are true rags to riches stereotypical American Dream achieved type people. And they achieved their dream through hip-hop, one of my favorite American art forms. However, I also miss the days of small market hip-hop especially when local artists dominated their local scenes.

But you can't have both, and for me thats okay, because I love hip-hop unconditionally, and if you don't support it now when its pure garbage you're never going to give it the chance to get better.
WORD TO THE MOTHER~!:applause:
 04-23-2008, 04:26 PM         #263
jag1  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 XYZYX said:

:applause:

Personally, I don't think real or good hip hop is necessarily dead. It's jus not as prevalent on the radio as it once was. There are many very good artists out there, droppin good sh*t dats only a d/l away.
To name a few u gots Royce Da 5'9", Canibus, Roots, Scarface, Planet Asia, Murs......etc etc etc

It jus confuses me when a good artist drop's an album and doesn't sell millions of copies, peeps start sayin he aint relevent or no1 gives 2 sh*ts bout em. While i agree this is true for the general public who act like sheep and say they like whateva is hot or number 1 for eg, but ALL real hip hop fans be checkin for good hip hop music, regardless of what they sell. If u into hip hop, krs one, rakim, nas.....these type dudes will always be checked for, regardless of current fame, cos for atleast one point in their careers, they have been at the forefront of the game. Even havin said that, if u can spit u can spit, why do so many people giv a sh*t bout sales.......
I d/l as much hip hop as i can, be it commercial or underground. I listen to commercial artist's like T.I., Rick Ross, Jeezy.....albeit unless these dudes got a bangin beat there sh*t gets deleted, but anyways, i enjoy some of their music and i listen or giv a chance to all their sh*t.

If u got the net, hip hop shudn't be dead to you. it might not be a golden era at the mo, but its certainly not dead.
 10 years ago '05        #264
KingCapo 
space
space
space
$2,792 | Props total: 94 94
Human nature "killed" hip-hop.

When you're small, you want to hit the big time. Then when you're famous and over saturated, you want to go back to simpler times.
 10 years ago '05        #265
lilwheezy 
space
space
$1,828 | Props total: 211 211
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to slimwillie again.

and i def don't think hip hop is dead i just wish i could see a video on mtv or bet or a song on the radio from artists that aren't mainstream. But just because it's not on the radio or the tv, doesn't mean good music isn't out there

and i agree with the second or third post up above me, for instance just because Little Brother (whom music i like) doesn't sell anything really, doesn't mean it's not good music and nobody's checking for them. It just means those that are buying the albums are ones that truly enjoy them and have actually heard of them. I did a presentation for one of my classes and asked if anybody has heard of them or cunninlynguists and a few other more popular artists/groups and nobody raised their hand.

also along side that, anybody hear the song good clothes, are you telling me that couldn't be a radio single? and again that goes back to the promotion aspect, good music just isn't being promoted, companies are looking for dances and club bangers (so to say)
 10 years ago '06        #266
ohiostate7 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,980 | Props total: 242 242
Us ..the listeners
 10 years ago '04        #267
Blazze One 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,230 | Props total: 13 13
Money did!

Unambitious rappers want nuthin but paper
the corporate world is trying to get it (even if they have to exploit ppl)
ppl are trying to save money so they download music
too much songs about money and gettin it the illegal way
the increase of materialism in the hip hop culture
 10 years ago '04        #268
PushaT5050 
space
space
$1,696 | Props total: 25 25
Sean "Pufffy" Combs
 10 years ago '08        #269
daytona500 
space
space
$1,052 | Props total: 0 0
corporate labels givin wack artists deals because of their image instead of their rapping abilities that's why you turn on rap city and see sh*t like "get silly" and "my dougie" hip hop is dead but images are alive
 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM         #270
youngholla  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lil wayne fans
 10 years ago '04        #271
space
space
i say all punk a.ss radio dj's on the payroll
 10 years ago '07        #272
uzi m.c. 
space
space
$3,914 | Props total: 79 79
i dont think hiphop is dead at all...maybe ppl just listen the wrong music,mainstream is EXTREMELY sh*tty,and for it you could say is dead,meaning the quality went completely :thumbsdow ,but you got plenty of albums where rappers spit dope lyrics and the beats are on point and they keepin the sh*t more than alive...

truth is ppl dont support so much anymore,but i think also that rap stars started actin like some fu*kin spoiled brats,cryin for not bein able to buy 7 houses,10 suvs,nba team and start a clothing line company off of their first single....its not so bad to sell 300,000 records like they tryin to make it look like....its just they all wanna sell 10million records per album and buy a new chain every time they need to take a photo....

i keep supportin the artists who i feel that deserve the support,and if majority does the same its gon be all good....
 10 years ago '04        #273
slickbandit 
space
space
$2,198 | Props total: 0 0
 ~:Frank White:~ said:
BIGGIE AND TUPAC death k!llED HIP HOP....TO MANY COPY CATS
Cosign, Money k!lled it too
 10 years ago '04        #274
space
space
when yo mtv raps went off the air.....
 05-02-2008, 04:30 AM         #275
Young Cutthroat  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've been thinking about something. During the 90's, rap was aimed towards the street crowd because thats who bought most rap CD's. As time passed til around the 2000 era, the streets stopped buying CD's and started burning them. That kind of slowed down money in the music industry. Thats why u would see artists who had a major buzz in the streets because of their talent but wouldnt even make gold because their CD wasnt selling in stores, but everybody had it because of piracy. Back in the day, it wasnt nothin for a talented artist to go platinum in no time, but its not like that no more because we'll burn their CD instead of buying it, taking away money. The industry's solution for that was to stop making music for the street crowd and cater to the crowd that buys CDs the most, and that would be suburban white kids and females. A lot of white kids buy into the industry's gangsta image and the females buy into the s3x appeal that they see in male singers and rappers...therefore, they end up buying CDs from these artists. I feel that if the streets wouldve never stopped buying CDs instead of burning them, that hip hop would still cater to the streets. Its all about money and the music industry is catering to the crowd that will come out the pocket and buy CDs from the store. Which explains why u see people like Soulja Boy puttin up Jay-Z numbers in sales. So basically, I think piracy is the reason for this. Just a thought of mine.
Lurker gave props

05-02-2008, 05:12 AM         #276
dex1can  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yea but now no one is buying it cuz they realized its trash and you said nothing unique, just repeated every other hip hop is dead thread ever..

good music is coming back though, i can feel it
 05-02-2008, 05:26 AM         #277
Young Cutthroat  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^ You missed the whole point of what was said. I explained why the mainstream music is trash. Re-read it.
 10 years ago '05        #278
kingkolby 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,367 | Props total: 97 97
artists never really made money from making cd's. the labels give them and advance and they make the cd. basically the record company keeps the money fom the sale and the artists gets a few royalties. the artists amke mioney from the concerts they do and now from clothing lines,shoes,ringtones,etc. The record companies are the ones losing
 05-02-2008, 06:31 AM         #279
Young Cutthroat  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kingkolby said:
artists never really made money from making cd's. the labels give them and advance and they make the cd. basically the record company keeps the money fom the sale and the artists gets a few royalties. the artists amke mioney from the concerts they do and now from clothing lines,shoes,ringtones,etc. The record companies are the ones losing
Exactly! The labels could care less about the artists and what they want to put on an album. Their job is to sell records...no matter the quality.
 10 years ago '07        #280
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
$41,097 | Props total: 30471 30471
Sorry to tell you but, your theory really doesn't hold any weight at all.

'The Streets'? What is that? The ghettos of what... 6-8 major cities? Kids in the ghetto don't usually have disposable income to be purchasing a bunch of CDs from retailers. If you were to look at genre sales via a store-by-store sales report... you would see that the stores in say Los Angeles sold more hip-hop albums than stores in Compton.

'The streets' is nothing more than crediblity for the artists. 'The streets' start talking... then mainstream overhears and want to join in. All you have to do is look at 50 Cent... the most classic example. Dude had no deal in 2000 but, was making music for the streets. Mainstream heard us talking, then he got a deal. You don't think that the group you call 'the streets' are solely responsible for the highest selling hip-hop albums of the 90s sales, do you?

Furthermore, like I said before, 'the streets' don't have a lot of disposable income, thus... they can't make all these purchase from retailers. As far as burning CDs... there are start-up costs involved with burning albums. Can't burn an album without a computer, right? You need internet.... blank cds. So, the majority of the hood ain't burning anything either. Yea, they gonna but cds on the corner 4-for-$10 but, that's about it.. that's affordable.

The dollars in hip-hop is and has always been coming in from the suburbs. There isn't enough 'streets' or money in those 'streets' to cater your entire market to. That's just a fact.

'The streets' make it cool... the suburbs buy it up.
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
100 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who are these washed up niggas next to Drake?
60 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
185 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
83 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy