Official West Virginia Mountaineers thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
21 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
75 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
40 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
76 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-28-2007, 05:55 PM         #161
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that game will be nice

as far as the HC situation, terry is prolly out of contention now
 12-29-2007, 02:19 PM         #162
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports Butch Jones from Central Michigan will probably get the job

that wouldnt be bad, he was at WVU before and knows the system
 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM         #163
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
one day away
 01-03-2008, 12:07 AM         #164
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
oh so sweet

great game
damn who DIDNT contribute?
give Bill Stewart the job
 01-03-2008, 12:21 AM         #165
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
One for Stew
By John Antonik for MSNsportsNET.com
January 3, 2008

GLENDALE, Ariz. – It turns out West Virginia really didn’t need Rich Rodriguez after all – not when you’ve got Patrick White, Noel Devine and Owen Schmitt on the field. Those three helped West Virginia roll to a 48-28 victory over No. 3-rated Oklahoma in the 37th annual Tostitos Fiesta Bowl at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.

As the clock wound down there were hugs all around on the West Virginia sidelines – junior defensive end Johnny Dingle embracing WVU Director of Athletics Ed Pastilong - and the team giving interim coach Bill Stewart a Gatorade bath and a ride off the field. It was truly a victory for all West Virginians after the black December the program had endured.

"I have never had a Gatorade bath," said Stewart. "For all those a.ssistant coaches out there that are better than me, that was for you."

The Mountaineers (11-2) rolled up 525 yards of offense including 349 on the ground against a nationally ranked Oklahoma defense that allowed just 91.9 yards per game this season. That total matched USC’s 525 yards of offense allowed by Oklahoma’s defense in 55-19 loss to the Trojans in the 2005 Orange Bowl.

The Sooners have faced some great offenses in the Big 12 but it’s safe to a.ssume they certainly haven’t seen anyone quite like White, Devine and Schmitt.

"They played an excellent football game, really beat us in the offensive and defensive side of the football and, you know, in every part of the game," said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops. "They just definitely out-coached us and out-played us; were more physical, more disciplined in all parts of the game."

White carried 20 times for 150 yards and Devine finished with 108 yards on 13 carries and two touchdowns, entering the game late in the first quarter after Steve Slaton injured his hamstring. Slaton spent the rest of the game on the bench with his shoulder pads off.

Owen Schmitt added 64 yards on just three carries.

The run that got things going for West Virginia was Schmitt’s 57-yard scamper with 6:29 left in the second quarter that opened up the Mountaineers’ lead to 13-3. West Virginia got another TD with 2:27 left in the first half when White hooked up with Darius Reynaud on a 21-yard score.

WVU led the Sooners 20-6 in the first half and could have had three more if not for Pat McAfee’s 42-yard field goal attempt that was blocked at the end of the half.

It was White’s passing, especially down the field, that made West Virginia a completely different football team than the one that laid an egg against Pittsburgh in Morgantown on Dec. 1.

"I'm very impressed with White," said Stoops. "Coming in I knew he was an excellent player and he did a great job of seeing what was there."

White’s biggest pass play of the game came in the fourth quarter after Oklahoma had pulled to within 13, 34-21. White faked a reverse and flipped a pretty pass down the seam to Tito Gonzales, who broke free for a 79-yard touchdown. It was the longest pass play in bowl history for the Mountaineers.

Four minutes later, West Virginia also got the longest TD run in its bowl history when Devine took a toss sweep, slipped a pair of tackles, and broke free for a 65-yard run.

That score really stabilized a game that was never quite out of reach for the No. 3-rated Sooners, now losers of four straight BCS bowl games.

"We give up a fullback belly. We have a zone blitz on and the blitz off the corner goes too deep, runs past it and the linebacker doesn't scrape outside - so they get a long run off the blitz," Stoops said.

"The other one - we don't cover the route down the middle," Stoops said. "We get sucked up with the play action fake. And then the second half - the pass over to (Marcus) Walker on the first play - that was just man coverage. He gets caught, doesn't stay inside, our guys ends up getting behind and dives for the ball and gives up a big play."

Sooner quarterback Sam Bradford completed 21 of 33 passes for 242 yards and two touchdowns – one to Jauquin Iglesias and the other to Quentin Chaney.

Chris Brown also reached the end zone on a 1-yard run, and Garret Hartley kicked three field goals.

The Sooners missed a pair of two-point conversions and were chasing points the entire game.

Oklahoma (11-3) also was unsuccessful on an onside kick that gave West Virginia great field position after the Sooners had pulled to within five, 20-15, and had forced the Mountaineers to punt two straight times.

White, the game MVP, finished the game 10 of 19 for 176 yards and a pair of scores. He also was named MVP of West Virginia’s 38-35 Toyota Gator Bowl victory over Georgia Tech last year.

West Virginia has now won bowl games and will finish ranked in the Top 10 for three straight years – a first in program history. It was also the third straight BCS bowl game victory for the Big East Conference – West Virginia in the 2006 Nokia Sugar Bowl Louisville in the 2007 Orange Bowl and West Virginia again in the 2008 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

Stewart was also the only interim coach to win a bowl game this year – interim coaches were 0-6 in bowl games this season.

West Virginia must now figure out who will coach a football team that potentially returns nine offensive starters including a Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback in White.

Whoever that person is will be taking over an outstanding football team.

Scoring Summary

WV – McAfee 38 FG
WV – McAfee 42 FG
OU – Hartley 37 FG
WV – Schmitt 57 run (McAfee kick)
OU – Hartley 24 FG
WV – Reynaud 21 pass from White (McAfee kick)
OU - Hartley 42 FG
OU - Brown 1 run (Bradford pass failed)
WV - Devine 17 run (McAfee kick)
WV - Reynaud 30 run (McAfee kick)
OU - Chaney 19 pass from Bradford (Brown run failed)
WV - Gonzales 79 pass from White (McAfee kick)
OU - Iglesias 15 pass from Bradford (Hartley kick)
WV - Devine 65 run (McAfee kick)

Individual Statistics

RUSHING: WV - White 20-150, Devine 13-108, Schmitt 3-64, Reynaud 1-30, Sanders 1-minus 1, Slaton 1-minus 2, Total 39-349; OKLA - Patrick 14-82, Brown 16-50, Madu 5-43, Guiterrez 1-3, Bradford 7-minus 1, Total 43-177.

PASSING: WV - White 10-19-0-176-2; OKLA - Bradford 21-33-1-242-2.

RECEIVING: WV - Reynaud 5-42, Devine 2-47, Gonzales 1-79, Sanders 1-6, Slaton 1-2, Total 10-176; OKLA - Iglesias 8-53, Chaney 4-129, Johnson 4-25, Gresham 3-34, Finley 1-4, Patrick 1-minus 3, Total 21-242.

ATTENANCE: 70,016
 01-03-2008, 11:31 AM         #166
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
coach stew
 10 years ago '06        #167
Against D Grain 
space
space
$6,357 | Props total: 346 346
congrats to the mountaineers, you guys played a helluvgame
 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM         #168
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yessir
 10 years ago '04        #169
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
Nice win... sets up the AU/WV game even better after both coming off big bowl wins (mainly yalls).. Hopefully it will be 2 undefeated teams and I think it will be

I might make that trip and just get Friday off.. I can miss 1 day of class
 10 years ago '04        #170
LightsOut 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,609 | Props total: 1 1
 UknowWhatItIs said:
Nice win... sets up the AU/WV game even better after both coming off big bowl wins (mainly yalls).. Hopefully it will be 2 undefeated teams and I think it will be

I might make that trip and just get Friday off.. I can miss 1 day of class
game got moved to thursday night right? man i hope you get the chance to come up, morgantown is unreal
 01-04-2008, 12:35 AM         #171
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lightsout u go to wvu?
 10 years ago '04        #172
LightsOut 19 heat pts19
space
space
yessir!

do you?
 01-04-2008, 12:52 AM         #173
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
im in state right now but ill be transferrin next year

what year are u?
 10 years ago '04        #174
LightsOut 19 heat pts19
space
space
ima junior, but after i graduate i'm probably gonna try and hit up grad school here too. i love it that much. plus you can't beat the free tickets to all the football and basketball games either
 01-04-2008, 02:29 PM         #175
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
nice...u hit up the road games?
 10 years ago '04        #176
LightsOut 19 heat pts19
space
space
yeah i go to a few. i went to cincy and rutgers this year, and pitt last year. i gotta see what road games we got on the schedule for next season, i was thinkin about hittin up UL
 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM         #177
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ah that rutgers game this year was sh*tty weather wasnt it?
 01-09-2008, 08:34 PM         #178
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

Staying Home
By John Antonik for MSNsportsNET.com
January 9, 2008

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – In the end the pull to remain close to his family and to continue West Virginia’s football tradition was too much for Jeff Casteel to turn away from. But the Mountaineers’ defensive coordinator the past six years admits that it was very difficult turning down the opportunity to coach at Michigan.

“It was difficult from the fact that Rich Rodriguez has been very good to me,” Casteel said yesterday evening on Metronews Sportsline. “He gave me an opportunity to coach at West Virginia that most guys probably wouldn’t have taken a chance on a guy who has been coaching Division II and had one year of Division I experience. To take a chance on me and to give me an opportunity I’m always going to be grateful for that.”

Casteel says the fact that his family lives just two hours away in Paden City and his wife’s family is from nearby Uniontown, Pa., made his decision to stay much easier.

“This is home for me. My family is over in Paden City and my wife’s family is up here in Uniontown. It was going to be hard to leave them at this stage in my life,” Casteel said. “I wanted my kids to be around their grandparents and also the way our kids played and battled in that ballgame. It was hard to turn your back on those guys. I just decided that this was going to be the best situation for me to stay here at West Virginia.”

Having grown up in the state’s Northern Panhandle, Casteel is appreciative of his affiliation with West Virginia University and he understands fully the importance West Virginians place in having a strong and competitive football program.

“I’m proud to be a part of the program. I was proud of to be a part of that Fiesta Bowl win and I’m very proud to be a part of the success that has gone on here the past seven years and I’m looking forward to continuing that and trying to make it better,” Casteel said. “That’s what our jobs are.

“To get a chance to coach at West Virginia is a dream for me,” Casteel said.

Casteel says he has had little time to savor West Virginia’s 48-28 victory over No. 3 Oklahoma in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. The Mountaineers presently have just three full-time staff members working the phones at the Puskar Center right now along with graduate a.ssistant coach Pat Kirkland.

Head coach Bill Stewart is in the process of putting a staff together that will also include veteran defensive line coach Bill Kirelawich.

“It’s been similar to getting stuck in a blender and somebody pushing the high button on it and spinning it around,” Casteel explained. “It’s been really hectic getting out of the bowl game, Stew being hired as the new coach and making the decision on what you are going to do with your future. Now moving forward, trying to get a staff in here and keeping recruits … we’ve got plenty on our plate and it’s keeping us busy.”

Casteel expects most of the staff to be in place by the time coaches are permitted to go back out on the road for recruiting next Monday.

“By the time we get out on the road next week hopefully we’ll have the guys in here that we are going to be able to get and move forward from that,” Casteel said. “Right now myself, Stew, Kirlav and (graduate a.ssistant coach) Pat Kirkland we are working the phones and staying in touch with the kids that are committed. We’re also working the ones that we’re trying to get to commit. We’ll be OK. We’ll have a full force by the time we’re ready to hit the road next week.”

Casteel is confident Stewart will have a first-rate coaching staff in place when everything is settled.

“Coach Stew has been in the profession for well over 30 years and knows just about everybody in the profession. There are a lot of great football coaches out there and there are a lot of great football coaches that want to be a part of West Virginia football,” Casteel said. “We’re going to find some good coaches to come in here. Believe me, I’ve got cauliflower ear from the phone being to my ear the past four-five days taking calls from guys that are looking to try and get in here to coach.”

West Virginia’s remarkable performance in the Fiesta Bowl has only added to the interest the program is receiving from potential recruits and head coaching candidates.

“We’re getting calls from really all over the country from kids that watched the game and want to be a part of our program,” Casteel said. “It has been a blessing the way our kids played and represented our program and that is certainly going to help.

“Having a chance to finish sixth in the polls and the last three years we’ve been in the Top 10 - we’ve got a favorable reputation out there throughout the country and we’re going to try to take advantage of that.”
 10 years ago '04        #179
LightsOut 19 heat pts19
space
space
 AlCapone said:
ah that rutgers game this year was sh*tty weather wasnt it?
yeah it was cold and rainy but we kicked the sh*t outta rutgers so it was worth it

by the way, you seein this coaching staff we are putting together? the guys we got coming in are a lot better then what we had when RR was here. i'm definitely feelin 12-0 next year and a BCS championship
 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM         #180
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yessir, picked up 3 today

Doc Holliday is a helluva recruiter :D
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
74 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
84 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
27 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
141 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
276 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
33 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy