Official West Virginia Mountaineers thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Does this/she freak you out a little bit?
31 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside SMH... Drake Stans harass Joe Budden yet again
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden Memes Have Started lol
222 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside ***joe budden finally catches drake goons***
22 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #1
11622 pageviews
210 comments

booker20 
space
space
$10,295 | Props total: 0 0
Official West Virginia Mountaineers thread

(MORGANTOWN)-- Although a steady downpour slowed his team's
second day of fall camp, it didn't dampen Rich Rodriguez's enthusiasm for a select group of rookies that have caught his eye to this point.

Following an afternoon in which throwing and catching the ball
seemed near impossible at times, Rodriguez lauded "a handful of
newcomers that have shown they can help us win."

So just who are these 'nificent newbies?

"I don't want to say until we put some pads on, but I will say
there are some standouts at the skill positions," said a beaming
Rodriguez.

However, if you've ever plotted a caper with Rodriguez, rethink
your plans: it didn't take much coaxing from reporters to get him to
reveal names.

"Jock Sanders, Brandon Hogan and Noel Devine are three guys that
may be able to see the field early. Mostly, I've been impressed with
some receivers that could give us some competition and depth. Will
Johnson, C.J. Matthews, Alric Arnett, all those guys will have a
chance to compete. We'll just have to see how it shakes out."

Rodriguez was particularly fond of Hogan.

"Some (freshmen) pick it up quicker than others, like Brandon
Hogan. Brandon seems to pick up our concepts really quick. Maybe it's
because he played in a similar system in high school. Whatever the
reason, he's really stood out at slot receiver. When tell him to do
something, he does it, and he understands why he's doing it."

Rodriguez again pointed out the work of his newcomers such as Jock Sanders.
Rodriguez also addressed a much-maligned secondary that caused
more than a few Mountaineer fans to reach for the antacid last
season.

"We have more competition this year, particularly at corner, than
we've ever had. Vaughn Rivers, Antonio Lewis and Larry Williams are
three senior corners who need to have their best year of football.
Through two days of camp they've done well, and they're f!ghting. It's
no secret that our secondary didn't play well in the second half of
last year. But sometimes it's not all the fault of the secondary. We
didn't get a lot of pressure up front and we didn't dictate the action
last year, and that's being addressed through schemes and personnel
and everything else. We've got enough talent over there to get it
done."

The first position change to be hinted at by Rodriguez so far
would seem to be a somewhat unlikely one.

"Adam Bednarik already knows what he's doing at quarterback, so
we're going to try him out at multiple positions. He'll line up at
receiver and catch the ball some. He'll still take some reps at
quarterback, but Pat and Jarrett will see the vast majority of them."

Rodriguez added that freshmen Charlie Russell and Bradley Starks
are also seeing reps at signal-caller, but attached a caveat.

"You want to talk about swimming mentally; they're just happy to
get the snap. There reps will diminish every day until the scout team
gets together in two weeks."

While it seems Mountaineer fans everywhere want to see 6-8
receiver Wes Lyons on the field this fall, Rodriguez urged patience
with the sophomore out of Woodland Hills High School in suburban
Pittsburgh.

"Wes didn't do much today because his knee is a little sore. But
even if he was healthy, he wouldn't run with the first group. I'm not
down on Wes. He's just a second year player, so I don't want to put
too much on him. Everybody wants to anoint certain people on this team
to be the guy. We know who the guys are because they're out there
doing things on the field. I hope Wes can keep getting better, but
he's a little hobbled right now so he's going to be behind."

Don't expect to see freshman defensive lineman and Morgantown
native Junius Lewis on the field anytime soon.

"Junius is going to get greyshirted," said Rodriguez. "He's got
two issues. The most critical is his eligibility. It may take upward
of three weeks to get his stuff cleared up with the NCAA, if it gets
cleared up. That will take him past when school starts. Then he also
has a knee problem that he played with in high school that has flared
up during summer workouts.

"The most critical issue is his eligibility. But we've done it a
few times in the past. It seems like most of the guys we've done it
with have been defensive linemen, and it's worked pretty well for
them. Pat Liebig, Thor Merrow, and Scooter Berry were all greyshirts.
I don't know if it's a coincidence that it's only been defensive
linemen, but it's been very beneficial for us and them."

Linebacker Ovid Goulbourne (hamstring), defensive lineman Chris Neild (foot) and Lyons (knee) were the only players to miss practice
on Sunday. Of the three, Neild's injury was the most unusual.

"Chris Neild had shoes that were too tight for his big feet, so
he's got, like, bruises on them," Rodriguez said. "I guess we've gotta
call Nike to get him a wider shoe because of his big fat feet."

The Mountaineers will continue with one practice a day until
Thursday, which will be one of just four days in which WVU players
will endure two practice sessions in one day. The players will don
shoulder pads for the first time on Wednesday.

210 comments for "Official West Virginia Mountaineers thread"

9 years ago '05        #2
Junior G 91 heat pts91
space
space
space
$49,910 | Props total: 926 926
like I said in past times I used to live for a minute in West Virginia, so I do root for them next to FSU.

too much racism up there!!!!
 9 years ago '05        #3
booker20 
space
space

Top 10 back up backs
9. Noel Devine, West Virginia
If there's ever a highlight film hall of fame, Devine will be in on the first ballot. However, with Heisman Trophy contender Steve Slaton entrenched as the starter – and with a few other candidates to be the backup – Devine's carries will probably be limited as a true freshman.
Slaton will go down again and then its over...
 9 years ago '05        #4
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,172 | Props total: 11 11
Noel Devine will see the fastest defense he's ever seen on the field down here in Ray Jay, he can ask Steve Slaton all about that sh*t. Ain't do dancing around on the field with these guys, he'll get smacked in the mouth.
 9 years ago '05        #5
Junior G 91 heat pts91
space
space
space
^^ lol, that ain't no lie. I was pissed when WVU lost to USF.
 9 years ago '05        #6
BoSox84 
space
space
 Junior G said:
^^ lol, that ain't no lie. I was pissed when WVU lost to USF.
Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty down to earth and realistic, I really don't expect USF to storm through the Big East and go undefeated all year (although it would be nice), but there's no reason we shouldn't be in it to the end in every game thanks to our defense. And I actually just read not too long somewhere that Steve Slaton said something about our defense being the fastest he's ever seen. He said something along the lines of, for once he couldn't just run around people cuz they were so damn fast and just swarmed to the ball.
 9 years ago '04        #7
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,542 | Props total: 192 192
rodriguez probably has an offensive package with white, slaton, and devine on the field at the same time, thats enough to give opposing defenses nightmares
 9 years ago '05        #8
BoSox84 
space
space
That would be ridiculous
 9 years ago '05        #9
booker20 
space
space
MORGANTOWN—The little guys are starting to make their move, said head coach Rich Rodriguez, and they have Ed Collington and Eddie Davis in their sights.

The No. 1 question for Mountaineer fans as soon as 8,000-yard career rusher Noel Devine became eligible this spring was, when will he play? This was followed quickly by, where will he play?

Rodriguez, who has not discussed the issues since camp opened six days ago, partially let the Devine answer out of the depth chart in his media briefing.

"A couple of those freshmen--Devine and Jock Sanders--are pushing Eddie Davis and Ed Collington. We haven't had a scrimmage yet and only one day in pads, but it's a pretty wide open deal right now," Rodriguez said at a 4:30 p.m. media briefing.

Rod was unspecific about when Devine, a three-year all-stater from North Fort Myers (Fla.) High, and Sanders, equally a triple all-state receiver and back from St. Pete Catholic, would forge into the No. 2/3 position on the super back depth chart.

The battle continues to backup All-American Steve Slaton.
He did say about the 5-foot-8, 170-pound Devine, "Like all great backs, he has the ability to make somebody miss. He can move in space to make big yards. He's not a big guy, but he's a pretty explosive runner. Jock Sanders (5-8, 185) did play tailback in high school. We put him at slot the first four days, but he's a kid who can do everything. He seems like he's a natural.

"They're both little guys, you'd have a hard time seeing them over this podium (in the team room). They run hard; they're learning pretty quick. We always have to temper our enthusiasm because as freshmen, they haven't been in the offense. They're still trying to figure out what's going on. They're willing to mix it up. That's a good thing."

Rodriguez had similar words for rookie Brandon Hogan, who is playing at both slot receiver positions. His learning curve seems equal to Da'Sean Butler on the basketball side. Last year's Big East All-Rookie forward took to John Beilein's system as the former Virginia all-state quarterback is to the spread offense.

"Brandon Hogan is learning the concepts as quickly as we have had as a freshman in the slot. He'll make some mistakes. We could probably throw him in at quarterback and he could make some of the reads."

Devine, Slaton, Sanders, Davis and Jetavious Best can also play the slot.

Tito Gonzales currently holds down the No. 1 Z receiver spot and Dorrell Jalloh is No. 2 there, but look out for freshman Will Johnson.

"Will Johnson looks like to us a guy who challenges for playing time early. He's a big (6-2, 200), physical guy. He's going to make mistakes and we've got to coach him up, but he doesn't look to me like a guy who will be redshirted. He looks like a guy who's ready to play," said the coach.

MARC MAGRO—saddled with mononucleosis has worked so hard in the weight room "that we have to tell him to go take a rest," said the head coach. He added that Marc's mono has moved past the contagious area.

One of his former players at Salem, Cisco Jeter, met with the head coach Wednesday. Jeter is significant in Rod's life because the starting freshman cornerback was paralyzed in an automobile accident on I-68 in 1988. His prognosis was that he would be paralyzed from his waist down for life.

His final words to the then-24-year-old coach as the 18-year-old was wheeled into surgery was "I'll be in the Wheelchair Olympics in four years—a promise he made good as a top 400 meters man in the '92 WO. A tear appeared in Rod's eye as he re-told the story. Earlier he had commented on Jeter to the team.

Fast forward 20 years and Jeter was in his wheelchair at the Puskar Building to discuss something more positive. The ex-Salem athlete now represents a company that markets a repellant to nab such infections as mono before they can spread throughout rosters. A deal likely will be consummated for the anti-bacterial spray to be applied to the stadium locker rooms.

Fullback Max Anderson is also suffering from the disease.

"Our trainers have said it can't just be sweat on sweat, it has to be more than that. But you do worry.

SINGING IN THE RAIN—"We're gonna keep playing it," Rodriguez said of pre-practice music on the Milan Puskar Stadium loud-speakers. Video coordinator Dusty Rutledge is in charge of the selections which range from Waylon Jennings to Hip-Hop. The players help, too.

Rod said Pat White likes Oldies Music.

A reporter misunderstood and thought Rod was talking about Pat McAfee's musical tastes.

"McAfee—no, I haven't asked about him!" said the coach.

The dyed-blonde three-way kicker bears what appears to be a dead squirrel on the top of his head. Perhaps it is an attempt at a Mohawk cut, also an Oldie.

O-LINE—Rod prefers a depth chart of eight, but in reality one premium back up will swing between the guards and tackles. For instance, John Bradshaw, the No. 2 right guard, may also play some left guard. Rod wants two centers.

Junior Mike Dent has the No. 1 job nailed down. Freshman Eric Jobe is the likely No. 2. Rodriguez has a handful of No. 3 candidates, including left guard Greg Isdaner and guard prospect Gino Gradkowski, a freshman. Snapping continues to improve on all fronts.

No. 2 left guard Derek Hayes "could play several line positions." Rodriguez also said that Selvish Capers' move from tight end to No. 2 left tackle "has worked out well. We're happy with that one."

9 years ago '05        #10
booker20 
space
space
EX-BULLDOG named new swim coach--West Virginia University director of athletics Ed Pastilong announced Vic Riggs will become the new Mountaineer men's and women's swimming and diving coach.

"Vic heading up both swim teams allows us to continue our championship caliber program," Pastilong says. "His tremendous experience, along with teaching skills and vast networking is very impressive. We are happy to have him here at WVU. We have landed a great swim coach."

Riggs, a veteran swim coach with more than a decade of experience coaching club swimmers from developmental to Olympic levels, comes from Georgia, where he served as an a.ssistant coach for the Bulldogs for one season. There, Riggs a.ssisted the head coach in daily workouts and designed and implemented the sprint program, while also a.ssisting with the meet line-ups.

"I am really excited about this opportunity here," Riggs says. "It has been a long-time goal of mine to be a head coach. I want to thank West Virginia University for giving me this opportunity and I look forward to meeting and working with the kids to build a program that WVU and the community can be proud of. "

Prior to his stint at Georgia, Riggs coached at USC under Mark Schubert, guiding numerous Trojan sprinters and brea$tstrokers to All-America recognition. He also was the recruiting coordinator at USC.

Riggs previously served two years as head coach and owner of the Gator Swim Club in Gainesville, Fla. Also, he served as head coach for the U.S. National Distance Camp in 2000 and 2002.

From 1995-2001, Riggs and his wife, Renee, directed the Nellie Gail Saddleback Valley Gators, coaching from novice to Olympic level. Among the athletes Riggs coached in that time was USC All-American Kaitlin Sandeno, who was a part of the 800-meter freestyle relay that won a gold medal and broke a world record at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece.

Riggs also served as the age group head coach at Saddleback Valley Aquatics in Lake Forest, Calif., from 1991-95. He was an a.ssistant coach at Cal State San Bernardino from 1990-91 and also served as head age group coach for Riverside Aquatics in that time. He began his coaching career as the senior a.ssistant at Fullerton Area Sports Team (FAST) in 1989.

Riggs competed at California-Berkley, earning All-America recognition in 1986 and swam on Cal's second-place NCAA team. He was ranked seventh in the world in the 1500m free and ninth in the 400m free in 1985 and was in the Top 25 in the world in both events in 1984.

A 1985 World University Games participant for the U.S., he was an Olympic Trials qualifier in 1984 and 1988. He was a 28-time qualifier for the U.S. Senior Nationals from 1983-89 and won a junior national title in 1982.

Riggs and his wife have four daughters: Abigail, Kathryn and twins Caroline and Irene.

MUNDY AND MIKE—Ryan Mundy is in his fifth and final year of college football. The first four he spent at Michigan. Mundy has taken to strength & conditioning coach like a duck to a Morgantown afternoon cloudburst. The word is Barwis has Barwised Mundy's running motion. It is paying off. At Wednesday's first live practice, the 6-foot-1, 218-pound senior ran downhill and stuck a jarring blow to facemask muncher Owen Schmitt. . . In other Wednesday news, rookie Noel Devine received the majority of snaps behind Steve Slaton.

WOMEN'S SOCCER Ranked--The West Virginia University women's soccer team has been chosen to win the league division title, a program-first, BIG EAST conference officials announced on Thursday.

"This is a very exciting time for our program to be picked as favorites in the BIG EAST," says head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown. "We have finished first in years past, but to start the preseason first and end the season in first will be challenging. We haven't played a game yet but we'll continue to work hard and stay focused on bringing a championship back to Morgantown."

The Mountaineers return nine starters as they look to repeat as American Division BIG EAST champions. WVU garnered 10 of the 16 first-place votes in voting done by the league's 16 head coaches, who were not permitted to vote for their own players or teams.

West Virginia also placed two players on the preseason all-BIG EAST team in juniors Amanda Cicchini and Deana Everrett. The duo totaled 22 goals and 54 points in 2006 as WVU made its seventh straight NCAA tournament appearance.

FAN DAY--The Mountaineer football
team will hold its annual "Fan Day" on Sunday afternoon, August 19,
giving West Virginia fans an opportunity to get autographs from their
favorite WVU coaches and players.

The Fan Day activities, sponsored by RazeWV.com, will begin at
2:00 p.m. in the Caperton Indoor Practice Facility. Gates will open at
1:45 p.m.

Coach Rich Rodriguez, a.ssistant coaches and WVU players will be
signing autographs and visiting with fans until 4:00 p.m.

In an effort to accommodate as many autograph requests as
possible, each fan will be limited to one autograph item. Setting up
posed pictures with players and coaches will not be allowed in order to
keep lines moving and to give as many fans as possible the chance to get
an autograph from Mountaineer players and coaches.

The Mountaineers open the season at home on Saturday, September 1 against Western Michigan at 3:30 p.m. in Milan Puskar Stadium.

WESTERN MICH UPDATE--On a squad that returns a 1,000-yard rusher, an accomplished receiver, a heralded center and a scary-good secondary, there is perhaps no player whose well-being is more important to his team's chances than a junior tight end with 48 career catches.
Folks around Western Michigan University's football program say Branden Ledbetter is critical to all the Broncos hope to do this year.

``He's got to stay healthy for us,'' WMU coach Bill Cubit said. ``And we'll try to do smart things and make sure we're not dumb and getting him in bad positions.''

The reason for Ledbetter's anointed status is two-fold: He has outstanding speed for a tight end and has shown flashes of stardom; and the position, unlike others on the Broncos, is fairly thin.

FARTHER SAYS BOSTICK RETURNING--University of Pittsburgh freshman quarterback Pat Bostick is expected to return to Pitt's football camp early next week, his father, Pat Bostick Sr., told the Lancaster (Pa.) Intelligencer Journal Wednesday night.

Bostick, a Manheim Township graduate, left camp Monday night and returned home to Lancaster to deal with what his father described as "personal things."
He could not be reached for comment Wednesday night, but Bostick Sr. told the Intell he expects his son to return to Pitt very soon.

"He's going back to camp shortly," he said. "He was home this week to deal with personal things. It was easiest for him to deal with that here. He should be back at camp next week."

Bostick Sr. said his son's decision to return home was not due to homesickness or girlfriend problems. He also said the decision was unrelated to football.
"Pat was very excited to be at camp," he said. "(The decision to return home) was just something that needed to be addressed. It was nothing that was planned.
this team is gonna be fun to watch this year and for the next 3 to 4 years
 9 years ago '04        #11
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
cant wait to see what devine does on the college level...he should tear it up
 08-10-2007, 10:27 PM         #12
AlCapone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hell yeah i cant wait for the season to start
 9 years ago '05        #13
booker20 
space
space
 madness said:
I play with him my senior year and i didnt believe the hype til his 1st carry went 60 yards for a TD... and then that n*gga completely crashed youtube....
 9 years ago '05        #14
booker20 
space
space
MORGANTOWN – Coach Rich Rodriguez probably would have been delighted if his offense looked as nice as the weather on Saturday, but that wasn't the case in the Mountaineers' controlled situational scrimmage signifying the end of their two-week fall training camp.

The team ran approximately 105 offensive plays in the 105-minute scrimmage session, scoring six touchdowns offensively and one defensively. But it took the offense, projected to be one of the most potent in the nation, 36 offensive plays and eight possessions before it broke into the end zone. Quarterbacks Pat White and Jarrett Brown alternated series in 10 of the first 11 possessions.

Unofficially on the day, White was 9-of-18 passing for 80 yards, while Brown, the backup expected to receive more snaps in 2007, was 5-of-14 for 29 yards with three interceptions.

Defense and special teams were arguably the highlights of the scrimmage. Rookie Jock Sanders got the afternoon started with a 30-yard kickoff return following the walkthrough of the team's new entrance onto Mountaineer Field, with a.ssistance from the band and some goosebump-inducing music and recorded soundbytes from Rodriguez. Later, fellow freshman Noel Devine excited the approximately 200 invited guests in the stands with a 38-yard kickoff return.

Starting place-kicker Pat McAfee got the scoring started on the third possession with a 45-yard field goal, and walk-on kicker Chris Glenn ended the scrimmage with a 34-yard field goal.

Defensively, the highlight of the day was an 86-yard fumble return for a touchdown by Quinton Andrews after Devine put the pigskin on the turf. But there were several other noteworthy plays turned in by the defensive crew dressed in blue.

Boogie Allen intercepted Brown and returned the pick approximately 20 yards. On the ensuing possession, Guesly Dervil caused a fumble, and on the next play Brown was whistled down for a safety, believed to be credited to defensive end Doug Slavonic, who was also later credited with a pass breakup.

Senior defensive end Johnny Dingle batted a pass from third-string QB Adam Bednarik into the air and managed to corral it for an interception. That came one possession after defensive back Ryan Mundy picked off Brown. Mundy later added a fumble recovery with WVU's offense one yard shy of scoring a TD. Brown's third interception came when linebacker Mortty Ivy grabbed a tipped pass near the goal line. Freshman Keith Tandy also had an interception, off a pass from rookie Bradley Starks.

Where the offense appeared to struggle the most in the situational scrimmage was backed up against the goal line. With three possessions starting at the 2-yard line, WVU's offense mustered only one first down, threw one interception, was sacked for a safety, fumbled (the offense recovered), bobbled a snap and was whistled for a false start.

Then with the tables turned and the offense needing just four yards for a TD, the Mountaineers produced one touchdown and one field goal but also lost a fumble. Much of those four series, however, were with a mix-and-match offensive unit that was without powerful fullback Owen Schmitt on those possessions.

Devine scored the goal-line touchdown on a four-yard run. The 5-foot-8, 170-pounder runs much bigger than his frame and is without question one of the fastest backs in the nation. Earlier, Devine scored on a three-yard run, capping an eight-play, 50-yard drive in which he accounted for 32 rushing yards during the possession that was run by Brown at QB.

The Mountaineers scored two other touchdowns on 50-yard drives. The first score was a two-yard run by White, who was 2-of-3 for 34 yards passing on the drive. With Starks at QB and Ed Collington getting most of the carries, WVU scored when Max Anderson punched it in from two yards out.

The other two scores came on a 15-yard scamper by Brown on an 18-yard drive, and a three-yard pass from Bednarik to Sanders on a 35-yard scoring drive. Sanders, like Devine, showed a nice combination of quickness and power while carrying the ball and both also showed that they have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield as well.
so much for him bein too small to run the holes.... Im tellin people he was bench 315 as a high school freshman :wow:
 9 years ago '05        #15
booker20 
space
space

Last edited by booker20; 08-20-2007 at 08:37 AM..
 9 years ago '05        #16
Junior G 91 heat pts91
space
space
space
propz on these
 9 years ago '04        #17
Aftashok 
space
space
$8,281 | Props total: 0 0
yezzir.....the fastest offense in the nation....can't wait to see what my boy Darius Reynaud does this season......
 9 years ago '04        #18
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 madness said:
 9 years ago '04        #19
run and hide 
space
space
space
$1,115 | Props total: 0 0
we nasty we better win this year or we may never win a national championship
 9 years ago '04        #20
LightsOut 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,609 | Props total: 0 0
10 more days until our run towards the national title starts!!!
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Killing Joke (My Review)
58 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Mob Members Busted In $15M Cross-Country Pot Distribution Ring
86 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside katstlzr (for my brothers that like them thick milfs)
70 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Jose Guapo remakes 2pac's "Change" :roflchimp:
60 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lets Play A Game: Marry , fu-k , Kill pt1 :mjcry:
148 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Suicide Squad clip: Really, really bad (feat. Joker)
102 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Nas Album Done (Snippet)
173 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Jul 24 - Congressman Destroys Sheriff David Clarke On Police Reform & E..
235 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy