Official 360 Repair {Help} Thread (ALL TOPICS INVOLVING HW FAILURE IN HERE PLEASE)

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
130 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
94 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
284 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM         #841
Big Hommie 85  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If there's one thing former San Jose Mercury-News writer Dean Takahashi knows, it's Microsoft's gaming hardware. In 2002, his book Opening the Xbox recapped the making of the software giant's first entry into the console game industry. Shortly after Microsoft launched its follow-up, Takahashi followed suit with The Xbox 360 Uncloaked.

It's little surprise then that Takahashi, currently a writer for Silicon Valley blog VentureBeat, would be the guy to go whole-hog into the saga of the Xbox 360 hardware's ongoing reliability issues. In a newly published feature that Takahashi considers the final chapter of his Xbox 360 book, the reporter meticulously recounts how Microsoft launched a gaming system with unacceptably high failure rates and its attempts to address the problem.

In July of 2007, Microsoft publicly acknowledged the so-called "Red Ring of death" issue and took a corresponding financial hit of more than $1 billion to fix it. Prior to that acknowledgement, Takahashi reports that Microsoft had taken returns on 1.2 million of the roughly 11.6 million shipped Xbox 360s. However, the problems responsible for that return rate had been around since before the console hit shelves.

Takahashi quotes a Microsoft engineer who raised the issue of hardware reliability in August of 2005, months before the system's November launch. At the time, 68 of every 100 Xbox 360s made by Microsoft's Chinese manufacturing partners were coming off the line nonfunctional. Worse still, when the first batch of the system's three-core CPUs rolled off the line, only 16 percent worked.

On top of that, Microsoft reportedly altered the design of the system repeatedly in the latter stages of development. The company added hard drives to most machines and made wireless controllers standard, further blocking cooling airflow inside the console. There were even issues with the QA machines that supposedly ensured the 360's system reliability. Takahashi reports that the machines would approve faulty units and were not properly debugged because Microsoft wanted to save $2 million on a $25 million contract with its third-party manufacturer.

"It turned out in the end that this was all going too far, too fast," an unnamed source told Takahashi. "They were adding too many features after things were locked down. That incremental feature adding just made it fragile."

The article goes on to say the post-launch shortage of Xbox 360 systems was due partly to Microsoft's inability to make enough functioning units to satisfy demand. In the spring of 2006, Microsoft had half a million returned or defective units sitting in warehouses, all while publicly stating that returns were within normal rates for consumer electronics.

Problems with quality control continued to plague the system, so much so that Microsoft actually ceased production of the Xbox 360 in 2007 between January and June to find and address the issue, according to the report. The production stoppage was also due to a surplus of systems at retailers from the prior holiday season, a fact which led to accusations of channel-stuffing on Microsoft's part.

As for what the ultimate culprit for the faulty console was, Takahashi reports it was a combination of factors. The ATI graphics chip had overheating issues, solder joints were prone to failure, and a.ssembly and memory issues were widespread.

"The video game industry has never seen a consumer problem as bad as the 'red rings of death' and the size of the $1.15 billion charge stands as one of the biggest liability glitches in consumer electronics history," Takahashi wrote. "How Microsoft handled the flaw may provide a lesson for all modern electronics companies; that is, if you are going to promote the hell out of something, it better work the way you say it does, and you better have a strong customer support and engineering debugging team to back it up."

:mad45: :mad45: :mad45: :mad45:

09-06-2008, 08:23 PM         #842
MVN  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yea tooo bad the support team blooooooooooooows

fu*king cant even understand them.....

I gotta send in my sh*t, which sucks, cuz its gonna take forever although Im still under factory warranty

Microsoft should just send out a free xbox voucher or somesh*t cuz this is bullsh*t man
 9 years ago '04        #843
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
Good read.
 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM         #844
Awperator2  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I have 3 red lights.
My console is working at 110%

Playing a game.. i get a frozen game and 3 red lights.. turn it back on and everything works fine, but i still have 3 flashing red lights whenever the system is on, i called Xbox Customer Service which gave me the run-around for almost an hour how all they can do is offer me a repair.. which obviously is a LAST resort. Why would i if the console is working at 100%?
I can Log into my profile, browse xbox live shop, play games, etc, everything as normal but... i got 3 flashing lights if the system is on. WTF do i do to get rid of it? Do i just deal with it? I obviously would want a repair.. but its working perfectly. WTF is going on? I need some help on what i should do.

This is very rare, "im one in 11 million" - xbox live stoopervisor
 9 years ago '04        #845
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
 Awperator2 said:
I have 3 red lights.
My console is working at 110%

Playing a game.. i get a frozen game and 3 red lights.. turn it back on and everything works fine, but i still have 3 flashing red lights whenever the system is on, i called Xbox Customer Service which gave me the run-around for almost an hour how all they can do is offer me a repair.. which obviously is a LAST resort. Why would i if the console is working at 100%?
I can Log into my profile, browse xbox live shop, play games, etc, everything as normal but... i got 3 flashing lights if the system is on. WTF do i do to get rid of it? Do i just deal with it? I obviously would want a repair.. but its working perfectly. WTF is going on? I need some help on what i should do.

This is very rare, "im one in 11 million" - xbox live stoopervisor
I mean whats' the question here? obviously keep playing it untill it doesn't work anymore then send it in for repair...who cares what color the lights on the front are if it works...
 09-09-2008, 01:54 PM         #846
Awperator2  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Da Ill One said:
I mean whats' the question here? obviously keep playing it untill it doesn't work anymore then send it in for repair...who cares what color the lights on the front are if it works...
Obviously something is wrong, im trying to fix it. That's usually what you do when something is wrong.
 9 years ago '04        #847
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
^^ But how is something wrong if your system works...maybe your 360 likes the color red better then green
 09-09-2008, 02:01 PM         #848
Awperator2  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Da Ill One said:
^^ But how is something wrong if your system works...maybe your 360 likes the color red better then green
 9 years ago '06        #849
TreZ 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$9,208 | Props total: 2058 2058
usually its the cd drive with the wires all fu*ked up
 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM         #850
Awperator2  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TreZ said:
usually its the cd drive with the wires all fu*ked up
All the wires are perfect, and inserted all the way.
What's this about the cd drive?
 9 years ago '06        #851
TreZ 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$9,208 | Props total: 2058 2058
 Awperator2 said:
All the wires are perfect, and inserted all the way.
What's this about the cd drive?
well my last xbox had gotten the red rings but it played fine just made some weird noises whenever i inserted games and i took my case off and looked at the wires and they were all tangled n sh*t and i moved the wires around and my 3 rings were gone
 9 years ago '04        #852
jaybizzle 
space
space
$3,323 | Props total: 10 10
dont take the cover off or microsoft wont fix it just do what dude said play it til it fu*ks up and then send for repair, its not that hard to comprehend or send it for repair now, u tamper with it and you will probably fu*k it up or your warranty
 09-09-2008, 02:54 PM         #853
PershingHigh  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
You have to skip the bullsh*t on the phone. Just tell them your sh*t is broke and you have the 3 red lights. No additional information.
 09-09-2008, 03:44 PM         #854
Big Hommie 85  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Xbox 360 failure fiasco explained in-depth
If there's one thing former San Jose Mercury-News writer Dean Takahashi knows, it's Microsoft's gaming hardware. In 2002, his book Opening the Xbox recapped the making of the software giant's first entry into the console game industry. Shortly after Microsoft launched its follow-up, Takahashi followed suit with The Xbox 360 Uncloaked.

It's little surprise then that Takahashi, currently a writer for Silicon Valley blog VentureBeat, would be the guy to go whole-hog into the saga of the Xbox 360 hardware's ongoing reliability issues. In a newly published feature that Takahashi considers the final chapter of his Xbox 360 book, the reporter meticulously recounts how Microsoft launched a gaming system with unacceptably high failure rates and its attempts to address the problem.

In July of 2007, Microsoft publicly acknowledged the so-called "Red Ring of death" issue and took a corresponding financial hit of more than $1 billion to fix it. Prior to that acknowledgement, Takahashi reports that Microsoft had taken returns on 1.2 million of the roughly 11.6 million shipped Xbox 360s. However, the problems responsible for that return rate had been around since before the console hit shelves.

Takahashi quotes a Microsoft engineer who raised the issue of hardware reliability in August of 2005, months before the system's November launch. At the time, 68 of every 100 Xbox 360s made by Microsoft's Chinese manufacturing partners were coming off the line nonfunctional. Worse still, when the first batch of the system's three-core CPUs rolled off the line, only 16 percent worked.

On top of that, Microsoft reportedly altered the design of the system repeatedly in the latter stages of development. The company added hard drives to most machines and made wireless controllers standard, further blocking cooling airflow inside the console. There were even issues with the QA machines that supposedly ensured the 360's system reliability. Takahashi reports that the machines would approve faulty units and were not properly debugged because Microsoft wanted to save $2 million on a $25 million contract with its third-party manufacturer.

"It turned out in the end that this was all going too far, too fast," an unnamed source told Takahashi. "They were adding too many features after things were locked down. That incremental feature adding just made it fragile."

The article goes on to say the post-launch shortage of Xbox 360 systems was due partly to Microsoft's inability to make enough functioning units to satisfy demand. In the spring of 2006, Microsoft had half a million returned or defective units sitting in warehouses, all while publicly stating that returns were within normal rates for consumer electronics.

Problems with quality control continued to plague the system, so much so that Microsoft actually ceased production of the Xbox 360 in 2007 between January and June to find and address the issue, according to the report. The production stoppage was also due to a surplus of systems at retailers from the prior holiday season, a fact which led to accusations of channel-stuffing on Microsoft's part.

As for what the ultimate culprit for the faulty console was, Takahashi reports it was a combination of factors. The ATI graphics chip had overheating issues, solder joints were prone to failure, and a.ssembly and memory issues were widespread.

"The video game industry has never seen a consumer problem as bad as the 'red rings of death' and the size of the $1.15 billion charge stands as one of the biggest liability glitches in consumer electronics history," Takahashi wrote. "How Microsoft handled the flaw may provide a lesson for all modern electronics companies; that is, if you are going to promote the hell out of something, it better work the way you say it does, and you better have a strong customer support and engineering debugging team to back it up."
 9 years ago '04        #855
Big War|M 
space
space
$14,187 | Props total: 1070 1070
^i guess your job is to go around boxden posting that article... especially without a source...

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '06        #856
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
so i had this essay to do for english class last year, and being the lazy negro i am, instead of spending the 3 weeks we were given to do it, i spent the last 4 hours before the class doing the entire 8 page essay. somehow i managed to bang it out. walked into the class droopy eyed, ain't shower or nothing, but turned it in with confidence cuz that sh*t was on point like them thangs on a cactus.

so a week later we get our essays back and ya boy got a 95 on it. :dancingcool:. i was braggin' to the whole class how i did the sh*t in 4 hours while they all spent 3 weeks and barely got Bs on their sh*ts. then all of a sudden, the teacher hears that i only spent 4 hours on it and she decides to take it back for "further review". next day she talking bout i plagiarized on the paper :angry12:. i asked her for her source and she said she just found out it was a paper turned in by another student from years back that any student could find if they tried hard enough and she knew my style of writing and said that it's nothing like mine . i talked to the principal, counselor, etc., etc., and they all did say that it was suspicious, but they never tried just cuz they trusted the teacher's judgment and some ol' bullsh*t. anyone have some sh*t like that happen to em? i passed the class fine in the end, but that will NEVER be let go by me.
 09-10-2008, 11:45 AM         #857
Awperator2  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Big War said:
^i guess your job is to go around boxden posting that article... especially without a source...

[pic - click to view]

Maybe you just need to catch up on current events, shouldn't need a source when its all true, besides that, look up a source yourself, sony fanboy. By the way my fourth 360 crapped out yesterday
gtfo
 09-13-2008, 11:40 AM         #858
DaMassacre  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Aight I call them and tell them that my xbox is freezing and the screen is turning green. Ok they trouble shoot and sh*t and they tell me since my warranty is up I gotta pay $100 to get it repaired! Ive only had it for little over a year so now I got to pay for it? I know I seen xboxs for $150 or $199 why not buy a new one?

But what's up with this? Anyway around it? It suck bc I Live will be out soon.
 9 years ago '06        #859
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
dam lol. if anything i got my repairs for free but thats only because i got RROD.
but 100 dollar for something that you didnt even cause? typical microsoft bs.
you're better of just buying a new one then..
 9 years ago '04        #860
-Artiz- 
space
space
$5,144 | Props total: 75 75
just wait it out till u get the red ring, my sh*t was freezing alot right before the three red rings got me
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
99 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
65 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
210 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
65 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
219 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy