Question about new subs (smells kinda funny if I blast em on full for a few minutes)

most viewed right now
NBA The Original Charlotte Hornets Logo
35 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
101 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
92 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
110 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #1
49550 pageviews
22 comments

airmcnair06 18 heat pts18
space
space
$6,001 | Props total: 0 0
Question about new subs (smells kinda funny if I blast em on full for a few minutes)

As I said in the title.

If I turn my speakers all the way up for like 10 mins (I'm tryna do the break in thing, so Ill bang em for 10 mins then turn em low for like 30 mins) then they start smellin funny, like, it smells like the carpet of the box, mixed with the new smell of the subs, AND like wires (yes, wires do have a smell, yall know what I'm talkin bout). Its a strange mix, but it kinda smells like sh*t is on fire to be honest. Not liek it's on fire, but it smells like sh*t is ABOUT to catch fire, and when I turn em down, back to normal, smell goes away in like 5 mins (or either I get used to the smell and dont notice anymore)

Is that sh*t normal or wat?

I dont think it is, but Im not the expert. Im going back to where I got em installed tomorrow to talk to this mothafu*ka if that's not normal.

If it's normal, will this smell stop eventually?, if so, when?

Thanx 4 all help on this.

22 comments for "Question about new subs (smells kinda funny if I blast em on full for a few minutes)"

10 years ago '07        #2
ThursdayNit3 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,708 | Props total: 21 21
well with breaking them in, you don't wanna turn them up to full like that, you wanna keep em down significantly and run them for about a total of 24 hours before you crank them up to full.

but as far as the smell goes, that usually is faulty wiring or wiring having too much power running through it.

did you wire it yourself or have it professionally done? either way see what kind of wiring you have
 10 years ago '05        #3
airmcnair06 18 heat pts18 OP
space
space
i had it installed at abc warehouse.........

and it shouldnt matter whether they're broke in or not, they're not supposed to smell like that, am i right?
 06-29-2007, 04:50 AM         #4
renagade281 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
never turn ur stereo all the way up anyway...distortion = blown speakers

sometimes brand new subs have a"new sub smell" to them
 10 years ago '04        #5
Drug Dylan 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,507 | Props total: 12 12
 airmcnair06 said:
i had it installed at abc warehouse.........

and it shouldnt matter whether they're broke in or not, they're not supposed to smell like that, am i right?
New subs will smell if you dont break them in properly....depending on the smell it could be the coil heating up or it could be excess glue burning off. But never go full blast on brand new subs unless your ready to buy new ones.
 06-29-2007, 10:48 AM         #6
GhosT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Drug Dylan said:
New subs will smell if you dont break them in properly....depending on the smell it could be the coil heating up or it could be excess glue burning off. But never go full blast on brand new subs unless your ready to buy new ones.
exactly. mine did smell a lil after my break in period. must have been glue burning off, but everything is alright with mine

the point of the break in period is not to turn it up full blast for 10 min then turn it down for 30. the way you should do it is keep it down for abotu 24 hrs of actuall playing time
one
GhosT
 10 years ago '05        #7
space
space
i didnt turn the volume all the way up. That always sounds bad

just the bass i would turn up for like 7, 8 mins...

I have the bass controller up near me, so I can turn it down quickly if 5-0 roll up. SO I guess the smell is normal? (of course, you cant smell it) but from my description does it sound normal??
 06-29-2007, 10:53 AM         #8
GhosT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
oh those bass nobs are garbage, all it is is bass boost which adds nothing but distortion. thats actually worse than if you were to turn the volume up

some burning smell can be normal but i wouldn't be suprised if your slowly frying your subs by doing that
one
GhosT
 10 years ago '05        #9
space
space
what do you mean bass boost?

Im talking about the sub controller that comes with the amp......

I just got mine put in the front
 06-29-2007, 11:48 AM         #10
renagade281 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Amps with bass boost are never good unless u got the ppi amp which I doubt, u must have a legacy amp
 06-29-2007, 01:00 PM         #11
GhosT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah the sub controller is only a bass boost, whenever you turn that up all it does is add distortion and make it louder. theres no point in having those bass boost knobs, they don't do any GOOD.
one
GhosT
 10 years ago '05        #12
space
space
im confused.

So, what the fu*k am I supposed to do?
Just turn it all the way down? Then have no bass.....

i dont understand how its a boost, when i turn it all the way down it just goes back to regular speakers....
 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM         #13
samakaballer 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol, yeah but with my amplifier if i have the bass boost turned all the way down you literally can't get the subwoofer to move, and it's not that my amp is messed up, that's just the way kenwood made the amp that i have.... andi dont plan on having 15's that sound like my computer's subwoofer, so yeah i turn my bass boost all the fu*kin way up got a prob??? lol.. if i didn't turn it up there would be absolutely no point of having subwoofers
 06-29-2007, 03:18 PM         #14
samakaballer 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ThursdayNit3 said:
well with breaking them in, you don't wanna turn them up to full like that, you wanna keep em down significantly and run them for about a total of 24 hours before you crank them up to full.

but as far as the smell goes, that usually is faulty wiring or wiring having too much power running through it.

did you wire it yourself or have it professionally done? either way see what kind of wiring you have
24 hours is a bit of an exaggeration if you ask me, i hear that just average driving just drive about 2 days with it not at full volume... so im guessing the average is mayb e around half an hour to an hour a day...

24 hours would be a hell of a long time, especially 4 me i dont really drive much at all, and I just got 15" cvrs and i dont plan on playing them at low volume like a granny for 4 months or longer 2 hit that 24 hour mark lol.
 06-29-2007, 03:47 PM         #15
dcole18 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 samakaballer said:
24 hours is a bit of an exaggeration if you ask me, i hear that just average driving just drive about 2 days with it not at full volume... so im guessing the average is mayb e around half an hour to an hour a day...

24 hours would be a hell of a long time, especially 4 me i dont really drive much at all, and I just got 15" cvrs and i dont plan on playing them at low volume like a granny for 4 months or longer 2 hit that 24 hour mark lol.
you could always just use a home theater reciver...
 10 years ago '05        #16
JustinSane|M 
space
space
$2,966 | Props total: 17 17
Why do you guys even ask questions? Whenever you get a response, all you guys do is bi*ch about it. You want to use the bass boost knob, go ahead. You want to crank your sh*t up for 10 minutes then down. Go ahead. You don't wnat to break your subs in for 24 hours, then don't. It's apparent that regardless of what anyone tells you, your minds are set anyways. Just do your own things and if/when your sh*t blows, don't try to say we didn't tell you.
 10 years ago '04        #17
bibbyboi 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,219 | Props total: 2217 2217
My friends is like theirs...i think its used more like a remote gain control...could be wrong though...but when he turns it all the way down the subs go off...to me its pointless...most decks can control the volume of the subs nowadays anyway....
 06-29-2007, 07:59 PM         #18
samakaballer 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 bibbyboi said:
My friends is like theirs...i think its used more like a remote gain control...could be wrong though...but when he turns it all the way down the subs go off...to me its pointless...most decks can control the volume of the subs nowadays anyway....
mine isn't where the gains r set it's just a bass knob,, one side u pick the frequency then the other side it's the power or w.e.. the main gain settings r on the amp itself.. but yeah if i dont turn my bass knob up u can't even hear the sub working and if u do it's real hard to hear...

and 4 the other guy, 24 hour break in period??? In my kicker manual it says to leave it on low volume just for the first couple days of using the subs.... i've ne ver heard of 24 hours , how many people do you know have systems hooked up and come out of the shop not turning there music at full volume for the first 1 month to 6 months lol..
 10 years ago '05        #19
JustinSane|M 
space
space
$2,966 | Props total: 17 17
Then do what you want buddy. Like I said, why even ask questions if you are going to do whatever you want anyways?

The ignorance of you to even ask these guys if they know what they are talking about. Ghost for one is one of the only people around who doesn't talk sh*t. Tells it like it is and he doesn't pretend to know what he's saying.

And I think too you need to do some reading on car audio in general. Sounds like you have some mixed up sh*t going on. Especially what that "knob" is used for. I can't even imagine what you are thinking it could be other than a bass boost? Do you think your amp won't work without it? Most people don't even install them to avoid even thinking about using them to make their system sound like sh*t.

Last edited by JustinSane; 06-29-2007 at 11:56 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #20
space
space
^^^^he didn't ask the question, I did.

Im taking in what I want. All dude did was disagree with you and give his opinion? He didn't ask a single question.....

But I'm still confused, liek I said a few posts back...
"im confused.

So, what the fu*k am I supposed to do?
Just turn it all the way down? Then have no bass.....

i dont understand how its a boost, when i turn it all the way down it just goes back to regular speakers...."

Can someone explain this to me.

Im really tryna learn this sh*t.
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
24 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
62 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
284 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
78 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
121 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
52 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
88 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
63 comments
20 hours ago