Jun 4 - Microsoft is Hustling Xbox 360 Owners!

most viewed right now
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
51 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
41 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Israeli "lawyer" with a fatty :kobedatass:
57 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
10 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Do you like what Microsoft is doing?

Props Slaps
 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM         #1
7544 pageviews
186 comments

luda06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jun 4 - Microsoft is Hustling Xbox 360 Owners!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) — New charges for online extras are sharply raising the price serious video gamers pay for Xbox 360 games, a profitable move by Microsoft, but one that could alienate some fans.

With more than 6 million users, Microsoft's Xbox Live online network has become the key feature distinguishing the Xbox 360 from rival Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii.

More than 3 million Xbox Live subscribers pay a $50 annual fee that allows them to play games online against one another. About 3 million more use the service without an annual subscription, taking the total to more than half Xbox users.

Through Xbox Live, players can buy maps for f!ghting terrains and other add-ons that are indispensable to serious gamers, usually at a cost of $10 each. Such add-ons used to be free most of the time and the additions can raise a game's cost to $80 or even $100 over its lifespan.

"The (downloadable maps) are very profitable for us," said Tony Key, vice president of marketing for UbiSoft Entertainment SA, whose Tom Clancy-themed shooters such as Rainbow Six and GRAW 2 are among the most popular games on Xbox Live.

"If you're a Rainbow guy and you don't have the maps, then you can't play a match," said Key, referring to online competitions. "I doubt there will ever be a Clancy game without the Xbox Live component any more. It's now a key part of the game's DNA."

Games such as UbiSoft's Rainbow Six Vegas and Activision's Call of Duty 3 can cost as much as $25 million to make, but extra game levels and maps are extremely cheap to produce, by comparison. Key said they required only about 10% of a game's development staff.

Maps and other content are also profitable for Microsoft.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter estimates Microsoft charges a royalty rate of 30% for most downloads. That means that, for a $10 download, Microsoft gets $3, while the publisher pockets $7.

Pachter estimates the entire downloadable game content market is currently valued at $200 million, compared with $19 billion for overall game software sales last year, but he points out the additional sales have much higher profit margins.

"It's like building an extra room in a house," Pachter said. "It's nowhere near the cost of building the house."

But pricing the downloads is a tricky science that many game publishers, including Microsoft, are still figuring out as they try to balance profit with the risk of alienating gamers who might feel they are being taken advantage of.

Microsoft was criticized by many gamers after the May 3 release of a map download to its popular alien-blasting game, Gears of War, which has sold more than 3.7 million copies worldwide since its November release.

The first map pack was released for free months earlier and generated more than 1.5 million downloads. The new download included several new battlegrounds online users could f!ght on during multiplayer matches, but this time they cost $10.

Mark Rein, vice president of Gears developer Epic Games, said in an interview on video game website 1up.com that the studio would have preferred to give away the maps, but Microsoft, which published the game, decided to charge for it.

This set off angry complaints from fans who felt Microsoft was taking advantage of them. Epic declined to comment for this article.

Microsoft Xbox Live group product manager Aaron Greenberg said few gamers complained about the add-on features and that the charge helped Microsoft recoup the cost of developing games and running the expensive online service.

"We are like the complaint department. We hear from the small minority that are not happy," he said.

Third-quarter revenue at the entertainment and devices division dropped 18.7% to $947 million, with an operating loss of $330 million, compared with a loss of $438 million a year earlier. Microsoft shipped 500,000 Xbox 360 consoles during the quarter.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.usatoday.com/t .. -add-ons_N.htm

Not to mention the fact that when your 360 breaks, (which will happen) you have to empty $130 out of your pocket with shipping fees. image

Last edited by luda06; 06-04-2007 at 04:49 PM..

186 comments for "Jun 4 - Microsoft is Hustling Xbox 360 Owners!"

11 years ago '06        #2
King Allister 36 heat pts36
space
space
$21,789 | Props total: 173 173
stfu ps3 c*ck riding fanboy
 06-04-2007, 04:53 PM         #3
luda06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 King Allister said:
stfu ps3 c*ck riding fanboy
I didn't type that article. I guess the truth hurts.
 11 years ago '04        #4
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,208 | Props total: 102 102
at first it was like ok...now u just got female traits homie
 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM         #5
502forLife  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
So is the Xbox live cost going to go up??
 11 years ago '06        #6
King Allister 36 heat pts36
space
space
$21,789 | Props total: 173 173
 luda06 said:
I didn't type that article. I guess the truth hurts.
u ride on sony all day... u dont even have to write the post u just suck mean sony d*ck
 11 years ago '05        #7
Grown Man Ish 97 heat pts97
space
space
space
$14,107 | Props total: 234 234
ive allways thought that sh*t was a fu*kin pisstake, but as long as them kids who over the moon to just be playin dont moan about it, then nuttin will change...
 06-04-2007, 04:58 PM         #8
shonuff12  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol @ people complaining about OPTIONAL downloads...no one MAKES people download the extra maps fool

I have never played a game where you are forced to download the maps...

plus I have had my 360 for several years and it has never once broke...

Last edited by shonuff12; 06-04-2007 at 05:00 PM..
 06-04-2007, 04:59 PM         #9
shonuff12  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 502forLife said:
So is the Xbox live cost going to go up??
did you read the actual article?
 06-04-2007, 05:00 PM         #10
502forLife  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 shonuff12 said:
did you read the actual article?
I just scanned throught it...
 06-04-2007, 05:02 PM         #11
luda06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 shonuff12 said:
lol @ people complaining about OPTIONAL downloads...no one MAKES people download the extra maps fool
Online games subliminally force these so called "optional" downloads on to the gamer.

Games such as "Crackdown" have items and icons in the game that appear accessible until the gamer actually attempts to. That's when the Xbox Live Marketplace pops up and tells you it needs to be purchased.

Gears of War, Rainbow 6, GRAW, and Halo 2 also have the same strategy by releasing the maps and rolling them into ranked matches, therefore those who are left out have a limited number of players to play against if any.
 06-04-2007, 05:02 PM         #12
shonuff12  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 502forLife said:
I just scanned throught it...
then go back and ACTUALLY read it instead of asking stupid questions
 06-04-2007, 05:03 PM         #13
tru_overdose  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
haha look at all the butthurt xbox 360 owners....

owned.
 11 years ago '06        #14
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,990 | Props total: 4020 4020
 King Allister said:
u ride on sony all day... u dont even have to write the post u just suck mean sony d*ck
 06-04-2007, 05:05 PM         #15
luda06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sniper said:
how u gon complain but pay 4 xbox live and hav halo in ya avy....
Nobody's complaining. Just somebody on the inside giving perspective. Plus the article is what it is, like I said, I didn't type that.
 11 years ago '04        #16
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
this whole article is about downloadble content...the fact is u still have a CHOICE....u dont have to cop it...this n*gga just salty his 360 broke real talk
 06-04-2007, 05:11 PM         #17
luda06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Kap(Da)King said:
this whole article is about downloadble content...the fact is u still have a CHOICE....u dont have to cop it...this n*gga just salty his 360 broke real talk
Of course Microsoft is going to make it appear is if you have a choice. Nobody would be debating this issue or making that article if everything is all good.

You sounding like a Microsoft rep, getting all offensive just because someone sounds like they're dissing their company. Chill. If you all good, why even post in here? Get off my nuts and go play the 360.
 11 years ago '04        #18
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
calm down homie.....why u gettin all jumpy...ur 360 broke i feel ya pain...but u wasnt sayin nothin about 360 till u couldnt play halo...now u on a big campaign with it all in ya sig?...thas mad gay...one

Last edited by Kap(Da)King; 06-04-2007 at 05:16 PM..
 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM         #19
luda06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Kap(Da)King said:
calm down homie.....why u gettin all jumpy...ur 360 broke i feel ya pain...but u wasnt sayin nothin about 360 till u couldnt play halo...now u on a big campaign with it all in ya sig?...thas mad gay
Oh I guess you don't like my sig. That's what all that was about?
 11 years ago '04        #20
GreatJ23 
space
space
space
$874 | Props total: 1064 1064
I actually have no problem wit the payin for downloads. Thats probaly cause i have never actually bought anything on the marketplace. The essential things are free like roster updates. Plus $10 is nothing to spend on extra maps. You spend atleast 5$ at Mcdonalds for a meal. Its not like they are charging for everything. They just not better start charging more then theres gonna be a problem. Like my guy said above. NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO BUY!
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
106 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
186 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
46 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
62 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
113 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
124 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
88 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy