The Official Auburn Tigers Thread

most viewed right now
NBA Wildest Game Stats of the Year so far...?
17 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA NBA GMs vote Wolves star Towns best player to build around - Is it still t..
45 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
126 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Tom Savage concussion makes clear that NFL's protocol has major issues
12 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-16-2007, 12:22 AM         #101
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 15, 2007

Bryan Matthews
AuburnSports.com Senior Editor

Talk about it in The Bunker
It's no big secret that Jerraud Powers is a good college football player. The sophomore cornerback has already shown that in his two-plus years at Auburn.

After a redshirt season, Powers played in all 13 games last season, blocking a punt against No. 1 Florida that was returned for the go-ahead touchdown. He was named Freshman All-SEC after finishing the season with 26 tackles and four pass breakups.

But so far this fall, Powers is playing at a different level.

AuburnSports.com
Powers has been a standout this fall.
The Decatur, Ala., native has been AU's top playmaker in the secondary during two-a-days, grabbing a starting position from senior Pat Lee. His play as earned almost daily praise from defensive coordinator and secondary coach Will Muschamp.

"He's first-team at the corner and first-team at the nickel right now and deservedly so," said Muschamp. "He's done really well."

What's led to Powers' improvement?

He attributes it to a better grasp of the defense and being completely healthy, really for the first time in his AU career.

Powers could have played as a true freshman in 2005 but broke his foot and had to undergo surgery a week before the opener against Georgia Tech. After finally getting back to 100 percent for the start of last fall's camp, Powers suffered a separated shoulder. He chose to put off surgery until the end of the year, playing through a season of pain.

"My shoulder kept popping out, and they were going to do surgery before the season, and I said, 'I'm not going through surgery. I'm going to play this year,'" said Powers. "I rehabbed it during the season, and I sort of hoped they forgot about it after the season.

"But right when the season was over, they were like, 'It's time to get the surgery.' That was my left shoulder. That was painful — it was a depressing period, to be honest. But it feels normal now."

Feeling normal has Powers playing extraordinary well. It's also given him a boost in his confidence.

"It feels good, just knowing I'm fine," said Powers. "If we were to play tomorrow, I wouldn't worry about a thing. Unfortunately, the last couple of years, I've just had bad luck."

Powers' resurgence has coincided with improved play throughout the secondary in their second year under Muschamp. While Powers is not about to brag on himself, he has plenty of good things to say about his teammates.

"This year, everybody's been in the system for a year," said Powers. "It's helping everybody out: The safeties know what to do, the corners know what to do. Everybody's communicating. Everything's going a lot smoother this fall.

"As far as the tempo, Muschamp being intense like he is, that hasn't changed a bit. But as far as everybody knowing the playbook better, it's been a lot easier."

Muschamp demands that his defense puts forth maximum effort every day in practice. He's a high energy coach that's not shy about exchanging leaping chest bumps with his players after a particularly big play.

"He's the type, he just wants his players to come out and work hard every day," said Powers. "Whoever works hard, whoever does their job, he's going to praise.

"It's fun. He gets intense, everybody jumping around…when people make plays, all the coaches get excited. You ought to watch Coach Willis sometimes — he's more excited than Muschamp. When all the coaches jump around and have fun, everybody has fun, and that's when practice becomes fun. You're not worried about the heat or what else is going on out here during camp."

Playing hard, having fun, nabbing interception after interception. It's been the norm for Powers this fall camp. Now he has to keep that same intensity and playmaking ability throughout the rest of two-a-days and into the season.

Muschamp doesn't have any doubts Powers can get it done.

"He's a hard worker," said Muschamp. "He's a guy you go to bed at night feeling good about because he's going to play hard for Auburn."
 10 years ago '04        #102
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
^^^ our secondary is going to be nasty
 10 years ago '04        #103
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
Groves talks about 2nd Scrimmage

Auburn, Ala.--The second scrimmage is always a good barometer on the development of a football team in preseason practice and if Quentin Groves’ thoughts on the night are an accurate indication of how the team is developing then it was a good all-around night for the Auburn Tigers.

One of the veteran leaders for Coach Will Muschamp’s unit, the defensive end says that the two-hour scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium had its moments on both offense and defense.

“It was pretty good,” Groves says. “It was pretty balanced. The offense scored some and we had some key stops. I think we just got better on both sides of the ball. I think it’s just better that our offense got out there and played. With offense it takes time to gel and get on the same page and that’s what they did tonight. I think they gelled a little bit better tonight and became more of a unit.”

While it wasn’t the dominating performance that Groves and his teammates put on the offense in last Saturday’s first scrimmage, the Mississippi native says that the defense still managed to come up with some big plays. One player in particular caught his eye with his performance but Groves says it wasn’t a one-man show by any means on defense.

“I think it was the whole defense in general,” Groves says. “Josh Thompson played really good for us anchoring in the middle. I think the whole defense really stepped up and had fun. I think we did pretty good. We gave up some big plays at the end in the two-minute and with the run (Brad Lester’s 60-yard touchdown) that hit us but overall I think we did a good job.”

Forcing turnovers is something that Muschamp has focused on since arriving as Auburn’s defensive coordinator in the spring of 2006. Last season the Tigers were a very solid defense and finished in the Top 10 in scoring defense, but didn’t create many extra opportunities for its offense in terms of getting the ball back. Groves says so far this preseason the defense has been better in that aspect and it continued Friday night.

“I think we had three or four,” Groves says. “We had a couple of fumbles (Mario Fannin and Ben Tate) and we had an interception or at least I think we had an interception. I think we had a couple of batted balls that affected the quarterbacks a little bit. We had a couple of pressures.”

While the defense is his first priority, Groves has been around long enough to know that if Auburn hopes to have a successful season then the offense has to come around and make plays as well. Friday night he says he saw Brandon Cox and the first offense do some things that makes him excited about the potential on that side of the ball for the Tigers as well.

“I think they take a step forward every day,” Groves says. “It was good just to see them play more together. They didn’t individualize or get on each other, they lifted each other up. I think I saw that tonight from the offensive line lifting up the running backs and the running backs lifting up the quarterbacks and the quarterbacks lifting up the receivers. It goes on down the line. I think they got better.”

When asked about the standouts at the scrimmage, Groves started with the offense and Robert Dunn was the first player he mentioned. Named by Coach Tommy Tuberville as well as Cox after making several big catches for the offense, Groves says Dunn was definitely one of the stars of the night.

“Robert Dunn had a great scrimmage,” Groves says. “Mario Fannin had a couple of good runs. Brad Lester and Ben Tate had a couple of good runs. Cox threw the ball extremely well. Kodi (Kodi Burns) played pretty good. Defensively, I think the whole defense played lights out tonight. I think we had a little sluggish start but I think everybody on the defense played good. Josh did a good job in the middle for us considering he had a pretty banged up shoulder.”

Auburn’s top pass rusher and one of the best in the Southeastern Conference since his freshman season, Groves has spent a great deal of time improving his play against the run and also working as a linebacker at times. It hasn’t taken away from his play at end though as he continues to work hard to not only improve his game but also that of the offensive tackles across from him every day in practice.

Groves says all of the players that worked at right tackle Friday night played much better and he’s especially impressed by the play of true freshman Lee Ziemba.

“I think it’s good practice,” Groves says of his work against the young tackles. “I’m not trying to say I’m the best D-end in the whole world, but I think seeing different defensive ends and different looks is getting Lee Ziemba ready and Antwoin Daniels and Andrew McCain ready to compete.

”I think Lee has gotten a lot better,” he adds. “He’s protecting himself against the speed rush a lot more. He’s become more physical with his hands in the pass rush. He’s a great run blocker and he gets good position. He’s kind of quick to be big like that and to be a freshman. He’s really impressed me through this camp and continues to impress every day.”

Groves and the Tigers will get back to work Saturday morning at 10 a.m. with one practice. They will also practice Sunday at 7 p.m. before taking Monday off.
 08-23-2007, 05:41 PM         #104
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 23, 2007

Jeffrey Lee
AuburnSports.com

Related Links:
Video of Deas in action

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
DT Charles Deas has heard about the August heat in Alabama. Former high school teammate and current Auburn DL Pat Sims has told him all about it.

Deas doesn't care, though. He'd welcome the heat if he were strapped in an "AU" helmet.

Fortunately for Deas, if he continues to progress in the classroom at Milford, he could get that chance. And he wouldn't have to wait until next August for it.

If Deas takes care of business on the field and off, he could be in Auburn in January.
Deas, one of the top defensive linemen in the country out of Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Dillard High in 2006, hopes to wrap up prep school this fall and enroll at a D-I school in January.

He's had plenty of colleges offer him the chance out of Milford, but Deas is locked in on one.

"It's just Auburn for me," said Deas.

Deas' mentor and current Boyd Anderson coach Mark James has had several schools inquire about Deas' future after Milford, including Florida State and North Carolina. But the coach said their efforts have been in vain.

"He's looking to go to Auburn in January," said James. "(If he takes care of his academics), he'll be going to Auburn."

Deas has stayed in contact with Auburn recruiter Eddie Gran, who recruits the South Florida area for the Tigers. The relationship between the two is a big reason Deas would like to sign with Auburn.

"He stuck behind me. He stayed with me and had faith in me. He told me not to give up, that he'd be there for me through everything," said Deas. "He kept his word. That makes me want to be loyal to him."

Milford Academy head coach Bill Chaplick said Deas is currently 6-foot-6, 330 pounds.

"He showed up in great shape this year," said Chaplick. "He looks like a different player. It's the best I've ever seen him look. We're expecting big things out of him this fall."

Deas has already gotten the season started off on the right foot. Last weekend in Milford's first scrimmage, Deas had six tackles and ripped the ball away from the running back and raced 90 yards for a touchdown.

"He's a beast," said Chaplick.

Deas just hopes he can be doing it next fall somewhere else.

Given the opportunity, it would be at Auburn alongside Sims.

"I talked to Pat on the phone. He's ready for me to get down there. We talk about playing together," said Deas. "If everything goes as planned and I take care of my grades up here, there's no doubt I'll go to Auburn. No doubt about it.

"I'm just ready to get out of here. I'm just keeping my head focused on school and football. I'll be done here and hopefully be at Auburn in January."

At least the heat isn't bad then.

:applause::applause:
 10 years ago '04        #105
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
^^^ now thats whats up...

Pat Sims a beast ... good lookin on that Ra ill get ya when I can
 10 years ago '04        #106
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
Auburn, Ala.--Christmas is coming early for Auburn linebackers coach James Willis, and there’s a package sitting under the tree with his name on it. He’s already eyed it, shaken it, picked it up and tried to figure it out, but he’ll have to wait until 6:45 p.m. on Saturday to find out what he’s got with the trio of Tray Blackmon, Merrill Johnson and Craig Stevens.

“Anytime you’re going through game week with some guys that haven’t had a lot of game experience, you’re nervous,” Willis explains. “It’s like it’s Christmas and you get to play with some new toys now. We’ll see if they’ll bite.”

Willis knows a couple of things for certain: he has three of the most explosive and athletic linebackers in the SEC, and that they have the skill in practice to get the job done between the whistles. However, what happens before the play in front of 87,451 people is where the concern lies.

“It’s going to be our first time going out in front of a lot of people and making calls, getting people lined up, making checks and that type of stuff,” he says. “The biggest thing you worry about that first time out on the field is communication. Guys don’t really understand how loud it’s going to be on the field on game day. At practice you have to exaggerate that and talk loud and relay the calls.”

It all starts at middle linebacker with Blackmon, a player with the potential to follow in the footsteps of several other Auburn greats like Dontarrious Thomas, Karlos Dansby, Takeo Spikes or even Willis, who played in the NFL from 1993-1999. Blackmon has overcome a pair of well-documented suspensions and as a redshirt sophomore has actually emerged as a leader on the team by giving 100 percent on every play in every practice.

“I’m trying to help pull the team together and be a leader on the team,” Blackmon explains. “I try to lead by example out on the field and now focus in more because it’s game week. We’ve got to step it up from the way it’s been in camp. I’m trying to pull the team together, offense also, and just trying to be a leader out there through my actions.”

Though known as “The Little Ball of Hate” since his days at LaGrange, Ga., High School, Blackmon wore a smile through the 100-degree heat of two-a-days and was usually hooting and hollering and patting his teammates on the helmet when the going got tough.

“I was excited going into camp and now I’m trying to focus in more and make sure I know my stuff so I can just go out and play hard and not have to worry about making mistakes,” Blackmon says. “I carry my play book around with me everyday all day.

“I’m excited about going into the season this year,” he continues. “I feel like I’m focused and I’ve got a foundation I can lean on. I feel like I’m going to be able to get through a whole season for once, stay consistent in everything I do. I’m just trying to have a good season. Like I said, I’m real excited about the season and actually starting from the beginning of the season all the way to the end. I’m hoping big things will happen for me and happen for the team.”

Johnson, similar to Blackmon in his explosiveness, is the “veteran” of the starters with 23 career games played and five starts. He’s another player that Willis can’t wait to unleash on Sept. 1 and find out how much progress he’s made since last season.

“(With Merrill), you never have to say ‘sick ‘em,’” Willis says. “It’s always like you have to slow him down, and that’s a good problem to have. I can tell he really loves the game and he loves contact.

“He’s really trying to get inside the defense and learn the little things. He gets down, he sets the front four and makes calls. What I see from him is overall effort to try to get better. He knows what he is--a fast guy, a physical guy and he can hit. As long as you have those tools right now it’s a good foundation for a linebacker.”

Stevens played in three games last season before redshirting in 2006. As the starting strongside linebacker, he’s had a quiet but solid preseason camp for the Tigers.

Only time will tell if Blackmon, Johnson and Stevens are what Willis is hoping for.
 10 years ago '04        #107
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
no experience at LB besides Merril Johnson and Blackmon with 6 games = no problem... this will be a sick LB core.. .believe dat
 10 years ago '07        #108
sonof504 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,922 | Props total: 86 86
AU better beat KSU and USF

rep the sec
 10 years ago '04        #109
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
 sonof504 said:
AU better beat KSU and USF

rep the sec
we got ya... yall handle Va Tech for us

I have a feeling UGA or UT will lose to Ok St. or Cal.. not sure which one... I think AU will handle K State and pull one out against So. FLA... I also see LSU beating Va Tech and to be honest I dont think it will be all that close (yall win by 10-17 pts :wow:)... Glennon alright but he dont want it in death Valley at night time there D will keep em in it early though
 10 years ago '04        #110
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
BTW I gave you props for not making me look like im talkin to myself

10 years ago '04        #111
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
 P. Dedos said:
damn auburn what the fu*k happened to ronnie brown

this better be his breakout year

and u already know ill be rooting for yall stop bamas head in!!
yea he did too much dancing last year... from what I saw in the preseason he looked pretty damn good, he was hitting the holes instead of trying to dance around defenders... im expecting him to do big things if he stays injury free

also gotta factor in yalls O-Line
 10 years ago '07        #112
sonof504 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,922 | Props total: 86 86
I also fear Georgia or UT could lose. VT is a scary game but their offense is so bleh
 10 years ago '04        #113
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
 P. Dedos said:
TRUTH shyts embarrassing

that shyt improved this year tho, hopefully
yea its looked better in the preseason... im like u, hoping he has a breakout year
 10 years ago '04        #114
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
big rumor going around that brad lester (#1 TB) is going to be academically ineligible (he was suspended for the Cotton Bowl last year for same reason)

Tuberville said right now he's the starting TB but it could change by saturday

fu*k!
 10 years ago '04        #115
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
oh well we got this n*gga

<<<<<<<<

and Ben Tate
 10 years ago '06        #116
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
$12,533 | Props total: 1036 1036
 P. Dedos said:
damn auburn what the fu*k happened to ronnie brown

this better be his breakout year

and u already know ill be rooting for yall stop bamas head in!!
Some people will never get over the year 1992
 10 years ago '04        #117
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
 titanreese said:
Some people will never get over the year 1992
naw i think it has to do with him being a Dolphins fan... i doubt they care about 92 considering theyve had what 4 NCs since then (??)
 10 years ago '06        #118
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
$12,533 | Props total: 1036 1036
 UknowWhatItIs said:
naw i think it has to do with him being a Dolphins fan... i doubt they care about 92 considering theyve had what 4 NCs since then (??)
Naw P Dedo has always hated Alabama! Way before Saban!
 10 years ago '06        #119
Against D Grain 
space
space
$6,356 | Props total: 346 346
Brad Lester is out this season. Tough Break for yall man, Im sure Tate and Stewart dont mind taking the load this year....
 10 years ago '04        #120
UknowWhatItIs  OP
space
space
running back by committee just like any other year

we need Tristan Davis back now though
Home      

most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
49 comments
18 hours ago