The Official LSU Tigers Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
261 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
68 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
76 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #461
K.B.  OP
space
space
$3,942 | Props total: 260 260
The clock was ticking near the end of the school year in May, and Brownwood (Texas) offensive tackle Stavion Lowe had accumulated a handful of scholarship offers.

The list of suitors for Lowe included Auburn, Texas A&M and Notre Dame, but it wasn’t until the final day before embarking for the summer when the mammoth 6-foot-6, 295-pounder received a scholarship offer from national champion LSU.

“Before I got my first offer that was one of the schools I was hoping I would hear from,” Lowe said. “I didn’t think I was going to hear from them at all and it finally came.”

With LSU now in the picture for his services, Lowe set out on a two-week tour in mid June of unofficial visits through the Southeastern Conference — complete with stops at LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn followed by a return visit to Baton Rouge.

That turned out to be enough to satisfy his future plans, which were finalized Sunday when Lowe committed to LSU coach Les Miles in a brief phone conversation.

“I think I caught him off guard,” Lowe said. “He was in a meeting and when I got a hold of him later he was excited.”

Lowe, rated the nation’s No. 12 offensive tackle by Rivals.com and No. 10 according to Scout.com, increases LSU’s commitment total to 14. It also further solidifies the program’s offensive line depth that now includes commitments from four of the nation’s top 18 players — No. 6 center Henry Orelus of Belle Glade, Fla., No. 14 tackle Chris Faulk of Northshore-Slidell and No. 18 guard Carneal Ainsworth of Parkview Baptist.

Moreover, Lowe provides LSU with four of the Top 21 rated players in Texas according to Rivals.com. That list is headlined by No. 2 quarterback Russell Shephard of Houston, No. 15 running back Dexter Pratt of Navasota and No. 21 defensive end Michael Brockers of Houston.

“There have been a lot of exciting times throughout this recruiting process,” said Lowe, who is academically qualified. “I’m thankful I have the opportunity to choose a school like LSU. It’s been a good process for me.”

Lowe said he chose LSU over Oklahoma and Auburn from a list of 26 scholarship offers.

“I think he’s been one of our most highly recruited kids,” Brownwood High coach Mitch Moore said. “He got a lot of interest just on his frame and footwork and movement.”

Lowe moved into a starting role near the end of his sophomore year and became the team’s full-time starter a year ago. He started in all 10 games for a Brownwood team that finished 6-4, earned first-team All-District honors and All-American mention from Under Armor.

“I wasn’t quick to commit after receiving my first offer (Auburn),” Lowe said. “It’s been about seven months for me. I kind of wanted to see what else was out there and LSU finally came along and when I visited there it was a good comfortable environment that fitted everything I was looking for. It’s an incredible place to me. I’m excited about my decision and I look forward to coming in and contributing.”

9 years ago '05        #462
K.B.  OP
space
space

[pic - click to view]

By Sonny Shipp
Louisiana/Texas Recruiting Analyst
Date: Jul 22, 2008

Les Miles has done a remarkable job of keeping Louisiana’s top talent at home and chalk another one up for the Tigers’ headman as the nation’s 2nd ranked defensive tackle Chris Davenport has committed to the Tigers.

i wonder if n*ggaz still saying les cant recruit top talent :rolleyes:
 9 years ago '05        #463
K.B.  OP
space
space
By Glenn Guilbeau

BATON ROUGE — Quarterback will be the hot zone of focus at the LSU scrimmage this afternoon in Tiger Stadium, but it will be just as intense, if not more, down on the corner.

Quarterback is just one position. Cornerback has two flanks, and LSU has openings on both sides as multiyear starters Jonathan Zenon and All-Southeastern Conference cornerback Chevis Jackson finished their college careers last season.

"I feel heat coming from everywhere," said junior Chris Hawkins, a Baton Rouge area native who is currently considered the No. 1 left cornerback.

"I feel competition from each side of the cornerback positions — left and right," said Hawkins, who backed up Zenon the last two years. "You try to beat the guy behind you or on the side of you and the receiver trying to make you look bad."

True freshman Brandon Taylor of Franklinton and redshirt freshman Ron Brooks of Irving, Texas, are behind Hawkins.

Sophomore Jai Eugene of the New Orleans area is the first-team right cornerback at the moment. He has had one of the better August camps of any LSU player, LSU coach Les Miles said. But Eugene can feel true freshman Patrick Peterson breathing down his helmet. Peterson was the No. 1 cornerback in the nation coming out of Ely High in Pompano Beach, Fla., last February and was the USA Today Defensive Player of the Year.

"Pat is a special player. I've never seen a freshman with that much talent, especially at cornerback," said Eugene, who was a major recruit out of Destrehan High in 2006 and backed up Jackson last season. "I feel the heat behind me, but I only worry about what I can control. Here and quarterback is where the most competition is because at quarterback, we're trying to find a guy who can play."

Redshirt freshman Phelon Jones of Mobile, Ala., is also in the mix at right cornerback.

"Jai's number one, but it's close," Jones said. "Patrick, he's real talented to be a young guy coming in. He knows a lot more than I expected about the defense. In my first year last season, I was just running around. He knows all the plays."

Peterson, who chose LSU over Florida and Florida State, would love to start, but he knows he has much to learn about the defensive system of LSU.

"If I do start, I do," he said. "I'll be more than happy to get in there and start. But it's a very complicated defense — different coverages, different techniques. You've got to have great feet. I believe I have that. But it's a lot different up here. They said I would have a chance to come in and compete. They never said anything about starting — just compete."

There is a lot of that.

"There's probably more competition at cornerback than any other position," Jones said. "There's just a lot of intensity. Everybody's running around trying to make plays and keep from letting anybody catch the ball on us."

Watching it all unfold today and over the next two weeks before LSU opens the season against Appalachian State on Aug. 30 is new co-defensive coordinator Doug Mallory, who will coach the secondary for the fourth straight year.

"We're young, but I think we're talented at the corner spot," Mallory said. "I think the guys who were waiting in the wings — Hawkins and Eugene — as we went through spring football and summer conditioning and thus far in two-a-days, have made tremendous strides. And Ron Brooks and Phelon Jones, who we redshirted last year, are ready to play. We feel good about the freshmen coming in, too."

Mallory has also been wowed by Peterson.

"Patrick Peterson is a man who has an awful lot of talent," he said. He may be as talented a corner as I've ever coached as an incoming freshman. But again, he still has to learn our system and our scheme."

Eugene and Hawkins are ahead in the game now because of their knowledge of the defense and a commitment they made moments after the Tigers won the national championship last Jan. 7. Torches were passed as the purple and gold confetti rained on the Tigers in the Superdome.

"A lot of the guys were going out partying and taking a break," Eugene said. "But I didn't. I went right back to Baton Rouge. I had hurt my ankle in the game. So the next morning, I went in for treatment. There were only two trainers in the training room, but they worked on me. Then I started working out. I just decided I was going to get better starting that first day after the season. That's why I'm first team now. To tell you the truth, this is the best I've been practicing since I started playing ball. I'm ready."

Hawkins started about a day or so after Eugene.

"I had to celebrate a little," he said. "I know Jai came right back. But I did celebrate some because I knew once I got started, it was going to be non-stop with all the players coming in to play cornerback. And I haven't stopped because Zenon kept telling me, 'Chris, it's your turn now.' All week at the championship game and afterwards, he kept saying, 'Get ready, it's your turn.'"

©Gannett Louisiana Newspapers
August 16, 2008

Source:
 9 years ago '05        #464
K.B.  OP
space
space
Michael Ford, RB (5'10", 200 lb, Leesville, LA)
Mike Brockers, DE (6'6", 260 lb, Houston, TX)
Janzen Jackson, DB (6'1", 185 lb, Lake Charles, LA)
Josh Downs, DL (6'1", 262lb, Bastrop, LA)
Drayton Calhoun, ATH (6'0", 175lb, Tucker, GA)
Russell Shepard, ATH (6'2", 183lb, Houston, TX)
Chris Garrett, QB (6'4", 220lb, Tupelo, MS)
Dexter Pratt, RB (6'2", 220lb, Navasota, TX)
Kevin Minter, LB (6'1", 240lb, Suwanee, GA)
Willie Ferrell, LB (6'2", 222lb, Tallahassee, FL)
Chris Faulk, OL (6'6", 315lb, Slidell, LA)
Carneal Ainsworth, OL (6'4", 300lb, Baton Rouge, LA)
Stavion Lowe, OL (6'6", 294lb, Brownwood, TX)
Josh Williford, OL (6'7", 345, Dothan, AL)
Chris Davenport, DL (6'4", 318, Mansfield, LA)
Derek Helton, P, (6'1", 175, Fort Scott, KS)
Kenny Bell, WR, (6'1", 170, Rayville, LA)
 9 years ago '05        #465
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
starting a BX fantasy football league PM me ur email if u down....
 9 years ago '07        #466
sonof504 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,922 | Props total: 86 86
4 days away.... just two days till the season kicks off
 9 years ago '05        #467
K.B.  OP
space
space
well we started the season off on the right foot. right now we know the running game is gonna be the center point of the offense. hatch is a pretty good runner but i wanna jefferson get a chance to run that option read. lee looks to be the better passer between hatch and his self. even tho he had one int. his arm strength makes the difference. lee will have to work on looking off defenders and try not locking on one wr. that can become a major problem.

the defense was as good as advertised, even with the inexprience. the lb's and secondary will have a lil more time to get their feet wet b4 we get into the real part of the season.
 9 years ago '05        #468
K.B.  OP
space
space

[pic - click to view]

* By RANDY ROSETTA
* Advocate sportswriter
* Published: Oct 1, 2008

Bored and motivated are the best words to describe the way Darry Beckwith feels right now.

The LSU middle linebacker has been out of action since he twisted a knee against North Texas on Sept. 13, and he’s ready to find a little more entertaining way to spend his afternoons.

“The worst part of sitting out is being so bored,” Beckwith said Tuesday, the first day the No. 3-ranked Tigers returned to work to start preparations for an Oct. 11 road trip to Florida. “I know this is something I have to do to get healed up, but I’m kind of tired of rehab. I’m anxious to get back on the field.”

Beckwith was helped off the field against UNT, but said the knee didn’t require surgery — arthroscopy or otherwise. There was more fear than physical damage.

“There was some cartilage damage in there, but nothing real serious,” he said. “It really scared me more than anything. I really feel blessed because it could have been a lot worse.

“I’ve had a lot of rehab work and treatments in the whirlpool. The big thing now is to get the range of motion back.”

With 11 days before the Tigers and Gators lock horns, Beckwith said he would like to get back on the practice field this week or next at the latest.

LSU coach Les Miles reiterated Tuesday that the training staff is optimistic Beckwith could be ready for Florida.

That would be a major boost to a Tigers defense that struggled at times against Mississippi State in a 34-24 triumph last week.

As the most veteran linebacker and a team leader, Beckwith’s absence has been felt as much emotionally as it has physically.

“It’s going to be real nice to get Darry back out there,” said ‘Will’ linebacker Kelvin Sheppard.

Especially as motivated as Beckwith is to be back.

“I feel like I’m going to come back stronger than ever and be ready to press real hard,” he said. “I’m very motivated because Florida is a huge challenge for us. I’m ready to see what night time in the Swamp is all about.”

If nothing else, returning to the field will spare Beckwith some anxious moments.

He watched the LSU-Auburn game with his parents in Baton Rouge and admitted he was a bundle of nerves.

“I understand what the fans go through now,” he said with a smile. “I almost had a heart attack watching that game.”

9 years ago '05        #469
K.B.  OP
space
space
The Tigers defense should be as close to full strength as it has been all season against Florida, with Jean-Francois’ status the murkiest.

Jean-Francois limped off the field during LSU’s 34-24 win over Mississippi State with a groin injury and hasn’t practiced full speed since, including Wednesday.

He said after practice that he “ran around” well Wednesday and thinks he will be ready to play. Miles said the next few days will determine whether the 6-foot-3, 289-pound junior will be available.

Junior middle linebacker Darry Beckwith and senior defensive tackle Charles Alexander are apparently ready to go.

Beckwith has been out since twisting a knee against North Texas on Sept. 13. Alexander missed the final 11 games last season with a severe knee injury and has played sporadically this year because of the knee and a tender hamstring.

“Charles Alexander and Darry Beckwith both practiced extremely well,” Miles said. “There seems to be little show of any injury.”

Miles said it’s “very reasonable” to conclude that both will play Saturday.

9 years ago '05        #470
K.B.  OP
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Abilene (Texas) linebacker Chris Williams off LSU’s radar

by Daniel Mingea III
Tiger Rag Recruiting Analyst

One position where LSU lacks depth this season is at linebacker.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that lack talent, as is evident by the solid play of Tiger linebackers even in the absence of All-SEC senior Darry Beckwith.

Beckwith is expected back in action this week at Florida. But at the end of the season, the Baton Rouge native will move on, likely to the NFL ranks. That leaves Jacob Cutrera and Perry Riley as LSU’s senior linebackers next season, followed closely by now-sophomore Kelvin Sheppard.

The Tigers picked up two linebackers in last year’s class in Kyle Prater and Ryan Baker. Baker has grown into a beast on special teams in his true freshman season at LSU.

LSU has already locked up commitments from two more linebackers in the class of 2009 with Peachtree Ridge (Ga.) linebacker Kevin Minter Willie Ferrell of Tallahassee (Fla.)

The Tigers had their sights set on a couple of more linebackers, but that might not be the case any longer.

After two recent calls to Abilene (Texas) linebacker Chris Williams went unanswered, TigerRag.com received a text message from the four-star prospect late last night.

“LSU is moving a running back to middle line backer, so I’m out the picture and moving on,” Williams’ message read. “That’s it.”

The Tigers currently have two running backs committed to LSU in Leesville’s Michael Ford and Navasota (Texas) running back Dexter Pratt. With an already crowded cabin in the backfield with Charles Scott, Keiland Williams and Richard Murphy, it seems Stevan Ridley could be making the switch to linebacker. Only time will tell.

Williams is the No. 13 rated middle linebacker in the nation by Rivals.com and is the No. 25 ranked overall linebacker by ESPN.com.

He is also being recruited by Nebraska, Missouri, Oregon, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tennessee and Oklahoma.

9 years ago '05        #471
K.B.  OP
space
space
This is from October 5 but is interesting......

BATON ROUGE — Les Miles took advantage of his last game-free weekend until December on Friday with a hunting trip through north Louisiana.

He hit Rayville, West Monroe and Bastrop in an effort to bag his limit for signing day 2009.

Miles already has 18 commitments of the highest quality as Rivals.com has LSU's class ranked No. 3 in the nation behind only No. 1 Ohio State and No. 2 USC. He plans to sign up to 23 in all on signing day in early February, and a few 12-point bucks in that final five could push Miles to his first No. 1 class.

"I think we're in place to get the help and the style of player that we need," Miles said Thursday after practice. He then headed to his office to call recruits and watch film of Florida late into the night.

The No. 2 Tigers (4-0, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) play at 7 p.m. Saturday at No. 13 Florida (4-1, 2-1 SEC), which defeated Arkansas 38-7 on Saturday.

"I really am focused on a couple of positions now," Miles said. "Up to this point I think we're in good position, but I'd like to have three to five others that in my opinion would really make the class. We're on several key players, and we have a couple of key guys committed."

The two highest ranked commitments so far are quarterback Russell Shepard (6-foot-1, 179 pounds) of Cypress Ridge High in Houston and defensive tackle Chris Davenport (6-4, 318) of Mansfield. Both are five-star prospects, according to Rivals.com. Shepard is the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the nation, while Davenport is the No. 4 defensive tackle.

One player who would clearly elevate LSU's class more is Bastrop High's Rueben Randle (6-3, 195), who is the No. 1 wide receiver in the nation, according to Rivals. Alabama coach Nick Saban, who is friendly with Bastrop coach Brad Bradshaw, has visited Bastrop more than once, and Michigan is also in the mix.

Miles and LSU receiver coach D.J. McCarthy were in Bastrop's stadium Friday night for the second half as Randle, who is now playing quarterback, led Bastrop to a 60-31 win over Rayville. Randle completed 10 of 26 passes for 136 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 130 yards on 12 carries with three touchdowns, including a 49 yarder. Randle caught 55 passes for 1,058 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2007.

"Rueben is setting up some of his visits now and will probably not make a decision at the end," Bradshaw said Friday before the game. "I think LSU and Alabama are two schools that he's definitely going to visit. He's talked a lot about both of them."

Miles and McCarthy also watched Bastrop defensive tackle Josh Downs (6-1, 275), the No. 38 ranked prospect at his position in the nation. Downs has already committed to LSU.

On Friday morning, Miles visited Rayville to check on Rayville High wide receiver Kenny Bell (6-1, 160), who is considered the No. 21 receiver in the country and already committed to LSU. Bell caught four passes for 124 yards with a 69-yard touchdown in the loss at Bastrop. He caught 50 passes for 900 yards and 15 touchdowns last season.

Miles dropped in on West Monroe for the first half of its 40-0 win over Airline and saw linebacker Barkevious Mingo, whom LSU is recruiting. Mingo (6-5, 209) is Rivals' No. 11 outside linebacker. He made 55 tackles with six sacks and 11 for losses last season.

Some of LSU's final commitments will come from Louisiana.

"There's a linebacker that I'm looking at, and there's a great wide receiver in this state that I'm looking at," Miles said Thursday. By NCAA rule, he is not allowed to refer to prospects by name until they are signed.

"There's a running back we covet," he said. There's some more out there for us."

The running back Miles referred to is Alex Singleton (6-0, 235) of East St. John High outside New Orleans. Singleton is the No. 11 fullback in the nation, but he has commited to Tulsa.

Continuing the legacy of Defensive Line U. is a top priority for Miles.

"One of the key spots is defensive tackle and end and make sure that we have quality guys there," he said.

LSU will be a few scholarships short of the normal 25 to give in February because of the success of recent recruiting classes. Miles turned in a No. 7 class in 2006, a No. 4 class in 2007 and a No. 11 last February. Since this is a strong year for Louisiana prospects, Miles may not have enough scholarships for high end in-state prospects.

"I hope that doesn't happen," he said. "I can tell you this. If there's a great player in the state of Louisiana, I want him to come to LSU. If I have to hold a scholarship or however I can make it work, I want to make it work."

Far from home
LSU plans to shoot for the moon on out-of-state prospects. The following elite eight non-Louisiana players are considering LSU and are among the very best at their positions in the nation. Their information and Rivals.com rankings follow:
DT JaMarkus McFarland, 6-3, 280, Lufkin High in Lufkin, Texas, No. 1.
S Craig Loston, 6-2, 193, Eisenhower High in Aldine, Texas, No. 1.
TB Trent Richardson, 5-11, 210, Escambia High in Pensacola, Fla., No. 2 (committed to Alabama)
WR Andre Debose, 6-0, 170, Seminole High in Sanford, Fla., No. 3
S Kevin Brent, 5-11, 196, South Oak Cliff High in Dallas, No. 4.
OLB Jarvis Jones, 6-3, 226, Carver High in Columbus, Ga., No. 4.
LB Jon Bostic, 6-1, 218, Palm Beach Central High in Wellington, Fla., No. 4
OT Xavier Su'a Filo, 6-4, 275, Timpview High in Provo, Utah, No. 12
Recruit boost
LSU coach Les Miles said winning the 2007 national championship has been a significant boost to recruiting for the 2009 class.
"I think we're getting a very strong reception, and I think players recognize that this is a place that you can win the national championship," he said. "And obviously the proof is 2003 and 2007. So I think they're realizing that the experience that our guys are having here is as good as there is in college football."
Rivals.com
rankings
LSU ranks among the top 10 recruiting classes for 2009 by Rivals.com.
1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. LSU
4. Texas
5. Florida State
6. Miami
7. Auburn
8. Georgia
9. Alabama
10. Miami
 10-15-2008, 05:39 PM         #472
g.o.a.t91 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I wonder if we lost any recruits after that horrible performance Saturday...
 9 years ago '05        #473
K.B.  OP
space
space
didnt seem to hurt usc after losing to stanford or bama after losing to ulm
 10-17-2008, 01:36 AM         #474
Darkside Ty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yall ready for Saturday? Looking forward to it Bayou Bengals.
 9 years ago '05        #475
K.B.  OP
space
space
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Jarrett Lee went 16-of-26 for 189 yards and LSU held South Carolina to minus-7 yards in the fourth quarter and the No. 13 Tigers beat the Gamecocks 24-17 on Saturday night.

LSU (5-1, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) took the lead for good on Charles Scott's 2-yard touchdown run with 4:16 to go. It capped a grinding, 83-yard drive that took more than six minutes off the clock.

Then Curtis Taylor picked off Stephen Garcia two plays later, souring an otherwise remarkable game for the freshman, who accounted for 230 of 254 yards for South Carolina (5-3, 2-3) in his first career start.

The Tigers had a season-best six sacks. The last one ended South Carolina's final drive into LSU territory and prompted Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier to drop his headset on the ground and kick it. LSU held South Carolina to 42 total yards in the second half after allowing two touchdowns in the final 2:28 of the first half.

The Tigers bounced back from a 30-point loss to fifth-ranked Florida last week and still control their own destiny in the SEC West. They haven't lost back-to-back games since 2002 and host No. 10 Georgia next week.

LSU trailed by a touchdown at halftime and failed to get a first down in its first two drives of the second half. But the Tigers finally got going late in the third quarter as Andrew Hatch, who usually comes in for running plays, rolled right, then threw back to a wide open Ricky Dixon for a 6-yard touchdown that tied the game at 17 with 44 seconds left in the third quarter.

Keiland Williams led LSU with 72 yards on 15 carries, while Scott, the SEC's third-leading rusher coming into the game, ran for 61 yards on 16 carries. Demetrius Byrd caught three passes for 65 yards.

The loss snapped a four-game winning streak for South Carolina. Spurrier's Gamecocks have now lost at least three SEC games in all four of his seasons. Only once in his 12 years in Florida did his teams lose three league games.

Garcia was 14-of-26 for 215 yards with a touchdown. He also carried the ball 19 times for 15 yards. The Gamecocks had just 39 yards rushing. Kenny McKinley caught four passes for 77 yards and tight end Jared Cook had five receptions for 74 yards.

With LSU up 10-3, South Carolina scored two touchdowns in the final 2:28 of the first half. Garcia led the Gamecocks on a four-play drive highlighted by the freshman's 41-yard throw to McKinley and a 26-yard TD pass to tight end Weslye Saunders.

On LSU's next play, Lee threw an interception that Carlos Thomas returned 46 yards to the Tigers 8. Mike Davis then barely fell into the end zone on fourth-and-1 to give the Gamecocks a 17-10 halftime lead.

pretty good defensive game for us in the second half. we were aggressive in the first half but wasnt disciplined and it was shown with those damn crossing routes. lee looked like a freshman no big surprise there. hatch ran pretty damn good almost threw a pick in the red zone tho. can't say enough about the change in scheme for this game and bringing the pressure to stop gracia from running all over the fu*kin place. a win is a win but they still need to improve in some areas.
 10-21-2008, 01:36 PM         #476
g.o.a.t91 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If the defense can carry the performance they had in the second half of the USC game the Gerorgia game will definitely be more interesting. Its our only chance, seeing as the defense is 112 out of 117 FBS schools in total defense and Georgia is #1 in the SEC on offense.
 9 years ago '05        #477
K.B.  OP
space
space
everyone was expecting the defense to take a step back this year with all the inexperience but i dont think many would think they would be struggling this bad. i think alot of it has to do with the co defense coordinators sh*t too. their scheme isn't using our defense's strengths. a lot of mismatches, players looking confused and if i see cutrea sent on another blitz ima lose my mind. dude is slow and doesn't tackle well.

ill give them credit for a certain blitz package tho. coleman and taylor coming in are great cuz they are heavy hitters and speedy. love the new wrinkle in the game plan for the 4 defensive ends on the field at the same time. brings a lot of speed and pressure on the other team.
 9 years ago '05        #478
K.B.  OP
space
space
October 22, 2008
By Glenn Guilbeau

BATON ROUGE - After calling out his defense last week for poor play at Florida, LSU coach Les Miles has been tossing bouquets the last few days to the Tigers' defense for its efforst in the win at South Carolina.

Free safety Curtis Taylor was Miles' target again this week, but it was for his stellar play that included an interception in the fourth quarter, a sack and seven tackles in all.

"Curtis made a mistake (against Florida on the 70-yard touchdown), but he really played a sound football game and made a bit play late in the game," Miles said. "He was really one of the guys that was all over the field. He played extremely well. He made some great hits, and his interception was a great play. He played very well. I think the other veterans that didn't play like they would have liked to against Florida really came to play in this game."

He also praised defensive end Tyson Jackson, who had two sacks and was named the defensive lineman of the week by the Southeastern Conference, as well as cornerback Chris Hawkins, who forced a fumble.

"Tyson Jackson has been a leader for us," Miles said. "He just continues to play extremely well. His effort is without question on every play, and it's all out. The six sacks and the pressure that we put on that quarterback certainly was telling as the night wore. The secondary is playing better. We were sounder, and there were fewer mistakes. Chris Hawkins just comes to play. He is good on coverage, hits the run, has great effort. He strips the ball out of the quarterback's hands (for the fumble). It's as fine an effort by a corner as I've seen."

JUST IN TIME: LSU's improved defensive play may be well timed. No. 9 Georgia (6-1, 3-1 SEC) will enter Saturday's 2:30 p.m. CBS game at No. 11 LSU (5-1, 3-1 SEC) with the best offense in the SEC.

The Bulldogs are No. 1 in two major offensive categories in the SEC - total offense with 429.6 yards a game and pass offense with 260.1 yards a game. Quarterback Matthew Stafford leads the SEC in passing yards per game with 242.4, and receiver A.J. Green is No. 1 in the league with 81.9 receiving yards a game.

Tailback Knowshon Moreno is No. 2 in the SEC with 108.9 yards a game.

RECRUITING LOSSES: LSU has lost two commitments over the last few days, but neither is a top 20 prospects at their positions, according to Rivals.com.
Willie Ferrell, the No. 29 inside linebacker in the nation out of Tallahassee, Fla., is no longer committed to LSU. Ferrell is now considering Ole Miss among others.

Over the weekend, No. 25 receiver Rantavious Wooten of Belle Glade, Fla., changed his mind about LSU and committed to Georgia.

LSU is down to 16 commitments.
The ferrell decommit has been proven false.

Reports surfaced early Tuesday from the Rivals.com that FAMU high school linebacker Willie Ferrell de-commuted from LSU. But Ferrell told the The Daily Reveille the report isn't true.

"I was talking to a reporter last night, and I guess he messed my words up," Ferrell said. "I told him my family wants me to think about other schools, but I said know matter what I'm still committed."

Ferrell is rated as a three-star inside linebacker by Rivals.com. The 6-foot-one, 220-pound linebacker has scholarship offers from other schools including Alabama, Florida State, Michigan, Kentucky and Ole Miss.

"I am still committed," Ferrell said. "The only thing I said was that I haven't signed the dotted line on the paper yet."
 9 years ago '05        #479
K.B.  OP
space
space
LSU and Georgia have been the two winningest programs in the SEC over the last seven years (the Tigers with 61 victories, the Bulldogs with 57) and it may not be coincidental that the programs have followed a similar recruiting blueprint.

Close the borders of your own state and cherry-pick from nearby states or at positions where you can.

The 105-man LSU roster includes 72 players who were born, raised and/or played in Louisiana. Georgia’s roster is packed full of 84 native Georgians.

“The recruiting in the state of Louisiana is an advantage for us because the opportunity to offer the in-state athlete the opportunity to play at a place where he gets a great degree, has all the advantages of being loyal and rewarded for staying consistent to the people in this state allows his mother and father to watch him play,” Miles said. “That advantage when you’re a team that provides great opportunities and also an opportunity to play for a national championship is, in this state, a tremendous advantage for us. We think there’s enough talent in this state that will allow us to compete nationally. The best players in Louisiana are as good as any players in America.

“Georgia has a similar situation in the fact that they have a quality population to choose from. I think there are good players in Georgia. … It’s a place where it’s populated, and there’s some really good football. We have some Georgia players on our team as well.”

There are five Tigers who list Georgia as home (linebackers Perry Riley and Kelvin Sheppard, cornerback Derrick Bryant, center/fullback T-Bob Hebert and defensive tackle Cordian Hagans), and two Bulldogs who come from Louisiana (quarterback Jonathan deLaureal from Isidore Newman, defensive end Matthew DeGenova from Jesuit)

9 years ago '05        #480
K.B.  OP
space
space
October 23, 2008
By Glenn Guilbeau

BATON ROUGE — Defensive tackle Ricky Jean-Francois is expected to play Saturday when the No. 11 Tigers (5-1, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) host No. 9 Georgia (6-1, 3-1 SEC) at 2:30 p.m. on CBS.

Jean-Francois has missed LSU’s last two games with a groin injury.

“Ricky practiced the entire week,” LSU coach Les Miles said after practice Wednesday. “And going into Thursday, we’d anticipate that he would play. He’s 100 percent in playing shape. His readiness to play is surprisingly good as well. What will tell is how he feels after this practice, but certainly I enjoyed what I saw. It’s just nice to see him out there practicing.”
Jean-Francois, who is one of LSU’s faster linemen, will be a part of LSU’s “Express” front four that featured four defensive ends across the front four in the win at South Carolina, which saw its quarterback sacked a season-high six times.
“He’d be inside,” Miles said. “He’d be one of the four that would rush the passer.”
CUTTING BACK: While Georgia had full contact on Tuesday, Miles took his team out of full pads on Wednesday and had it practice in just shoulder pads, shorts and helmets. He also cut practice short about 20 minutes.
“We cut back,” Miles said. “We really did not hit except for a couple of periods with good versus good. That’s kind of the time of year. We’ll probably go back to a little longer practice later. But right now, we felt like it was a timely break. To this point, I like where we’re at. We’re ready. We had good effort, good energy.”
Georgia coach Mark Richt had a different philosophy.
“We’re still in full pads at this point,” Richt said Wednesday. “We felt like we needed it. We know it’s going to be a physical ballgame, and we want to try and get prepared for that.”
MINIMAL INJURY REPORT: Other than reserve center T-Bob Hebert, who is out of the year with a knee injury, no one else is hurt, Miles said.
“We held no one else out, so we’re rounding into shape, which is good,” Miles said.
GAME OF THE DECADE?: LSU and Georgia are the two winningest SEC teams this decade. LSU has 87 wins over that span for first in the league, while Georgia is second with 86. The two teams have also combined to win five of the last seven league championships with LSU winning three - 2001, 2003 and 2007 - and Georgia two - 2002 and 2005.

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago