The Official LSU Tigers Thread

most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
69 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
261 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
77 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 05-10-2008, 04:56 PM         #441
OOps 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Can someone tell me why Lsu has a bi*ch a.sss schedule this year? I mean come on, seirously. wtf is yall doing in lsu? Won the championship and you dudes cant even go look for competition............ USC all over that a.ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
 10 years ago '05        #442
K.B.  OP
space
space
$3,942 | Props total: 260 260
simple reason for that is LSU will only schedule a home and home if they get the first game and then travel to the other team at a later date. it seems that the powers that be really want to have atleast 8 home games a year. that all well and good but the games we are subject to is bullsh*t. middle tenn.? la tech? fu*kin app state? i damn sure wont be paying for a ticket to watch this sh*t thats gonna be over b4 half time.

since LSU was fu*ked over with the va tech home and home they will not schedule a home and home with anyone unless they get the first home game.
yall have great occ games, no mistake about it yall deserve credit for that, but dont come in here beating ur chest like yall have it so tough in the pac 1. the talent yall field every year yall should be in the title game every year.
 10 years ago '04        #443
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
Yall got 3 weeks to prepare for Auburn. Yall play 2 teams with the spread (1 with the Franklin system) before yall play AU (App. State and Troy). I didn't think we would catch an LSU defense off guard but it probably helps yalls D some playing Troy the week before (even though they lost their QB).

Last edited by UknowWhatItIs; 05-20-2008 at 03:10 PM..
 10 years ago '08        #444
I.J. 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,359 | Props total: 617 617
LSU>>>>>>>>>>>

Tigers Stand Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 10 years ago '05        #445
K.B.  OP
space
space
dont know if yall heard but colorado backed out of the home and home series with us to play fu*kin fresno st. weak a.ss n*ggaz.
 10 years ago '07        #446
sonof504 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,922 | Props total: 86 86
lol at a USC fan coming in here talkin sh*t bout our schedule. OOC is weak this year though i cant lie
 10 years ago '05        #447
K.B.  OP
space
space
Click for more info on each player.

[pic - click to view]

2. Henry Orelus, OL Belle Glade, FL

High Interest Players.

[pic - click to view]

Chris Davenport, DT, Mansfield, LA

(committed to bama but still showing interest in us.)

06-12-2008, 06:16 PM         #448
-Scar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

I Found This Figured I'd Drop It Here...Hope Ya Like...
 06-24-2008, 05:37 PM         #449
g.o.a.t91 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^Appreciate it.

Has anyone posted our '08 schedule?
 9 years ago '05        #450
K.B.  OP
space
space
COACH AND PROGRAM

The 2007 national championship celebration was fun and it hasn't really stopped for LSU fans, but it didn't last long for coach Les Miles -- both at home and in the office.

"One thing about me, I'm pretty grounded with four kids," Miles said. "I get no respect at home anyway. I fought for my breakfast, lunch and dinner every time. Certainly it's been a great run. For me personally as a coach, you go on to the '08 year right away.

"It's a brand new team. That's really been our coaching staff's focus. The idea that we're defending, we're not. This is a brand new team and we haven't won a game yet."

Miles and his coaches know that winning the national title in 2007 doesn't guarantee anything in 2008 and this team can't afford to spend any more time thinking about the past. After winning two national championships in five years under two different coaches, the expectations are higher than ever at LSU, and anything less than national-title contention will be seen as a disappointment in some circles.

"The reality is we just did it, and now it's about doing it again," Miles said. "That's kind of how I'm looking at it."

If the Tigers do look back, it should be to learn some valuable lessons from the seniors who led the way in 2007. The Tigers not only lost a lot of talented players but they lost some tough, solid, dependable leaders in defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, tailback Jacob Hester, wide receiver Early Doucet, strong safety Craig Steltz, quarterback Matt Flynn, outside linebacker Ali Highsmith and cornerbacks Chevis Jackson and Jonathan Zenon, tight end Keith Zinger, outside linebacker Luke Sanders, right tackle Carnell Stewart and punter Patrick Fisher.

"This is a new team," Miles said. "The key is to redefine ourselves with the process staying the same."

The process of building a national championship contender is the key. The Tigers have enough talent to win it all again, but last year's team proved that talent is never enough in and of itself. It takes a level of leadership, chemistry and commitment that separates the champions from the contenders. LSU's 2007 seniors possessed those qualities. Only time will tell if this year's veterans will be equal to the task, especially if the Tigers lose a painful game or two, as they did with last year's triple-overtime losses to Kentucky and Arkansas.

"There's an understanding here that our football team, year-in and year-out, can be pretty strong," Miles said. "The bar for next year is set very high. The key is maintaining a level of success across the board. We've been fortunate to win no less than 11 games the last three years. We think our program is in a position to where, with the loss of graduates and other losses, we will still be able to compete for championships. "We are a brand new team. The 2007 team, they were the national champions. This is a team that has its own outcomes, possibilities and potentials. The great news about this team is that they've been through an experience like last year to help them understand what it takes to be there.

"It's kind of every guy's responsible role to improve and make their position the best it can be. If we can do that again, we'll be very competitive."

Miles faces a personal challenge of his own this season. The shadow of former LSU coach Nick Saban still hovered over Miles and the program last year, especially with 19 of the 22 starters being signed by Saban and his staff. Miles took a big step toward outrunning that shadow by winning a national championship, but now he must prove he can win with a roster built almost entirely during his own tenure.

"The last time I looked, coach Miles was the one who coached us to the national championship," sophomore cornerback Jai Eugene told the Baton Rouge Advocate. "He's the one who got us to where we wanted to go.

"We lost a lot of good players, but we have a chip on our shoulder and have a lot to prove to everyone. This is when, if you're really a player, that you step up. We want to show we can do everything they did here the last few years and maybe even more." The number of quality returning players is especially evident on offense, where the Tigers return seven starters and a number of experienced players who have seen significant playing time.

"Just looking at what we lost and where we need to replace guys, we face some challenges," second-year offensive coordinator Gary Crowton said. "At the same time, we like what we've got coming back. We lose an Early Doucet at receiver, but when he got hurt early last year a lot of guys stepped up.

"On the offensive line we lose only one starter in Carnell Stewart and the backups both saw playing time. At running back we lose Jacob Hester, but we played a lot of guys over the last couple of years and we feel like that position is a real strong spot for us. "We're going to miss David Zinger and Mit Cole for their blocking at tight end, but we feel like we've got some guys who can develop and do what they did and some freshmen may play there, too. All those areas are pretty solid for us."

Even though the Tigers are starting over at quarterback with the loss of Flynn and the dismissal of talented-but-enigmatic Ryan Perrilloux, the Tigers won't be asking those new quarterbacks to carry an offense loaded with talent, depth and experience.

"We're a very balanced offense, and we're not always throwing the ball deep down the field, either," Crowton said, "so we have the ability to hand the ball off to different backs with different skills and use different receivers in different ways. So the quarterback doesn't have to come in and take charge and tell all the young guys what to do, because he's basically the younger guy and just has to worry about himself, which is a real nice position for a young quarterback to step into.

"I've been around some situations where your quarterback's young, your receivers are young and your line's young, and it's kind of a nightmare. We're not in that position right now. We've got a veteran line, veteran receivers, veteran backs. All our quarterbacks need to do is come in and execute their jobs and they'll grow really fast."

On the surface the numbers aren't nearly as impressive for a defense with only five returning starters and new defensive coordinators. In addition to losing Dorsey, Steltz, Jackson, Zenon, Highsmith and Sanders, the Tigers also lost defensive coordinator Bo Pelini when he took over as the head coach at Nebraska.

Miles chose continuity over a new approach by promoting Doug Mallory and Bradley Dale Peveto to co-defensive coordinators. Pelini didn't coach a position and spent most of his time devising the game plan and calling the game, and the other a.ssistants handled their own individual units. Mallory will continue to coach the secondary and Peveto will still coach the linebackers, and not much will change in terms of philosophy. "We've been fortunate. Even before we got here, LSU was playing good defense. Coach Saban and his staff had done a tremendous job here at LSU, and I think we kind of picked up where they left off," Mallory said. "When Bo was here, he did a tremendous job coordinating the defense.

"We're fortunate here at LSU that when Bo was coordinator, he didn't coach a position, so we really didn't lose a position coach when he left. I think the transition has been a little bit smoother because the same coaches are still coaching the same positions. From that standpoint, our kids didn't have to go through a major transition.

"We'll do some things differently, add a few of our own wrinkles. Coming out of the spring we were pretty similar to what we were doing the past three years. We introduced a couple of new fronts, a couple of new pressures, but I think you'll see a lot of the same things we've seen around here for the past three years."

A lot of what the Tigers eventually do defensively depends on how well they replace their departed players, especially at the corners.

"What you do defensively has got to be in direct correlation to the kind of personnel you have out there on the field," Mallory said, "and when you lose a guy like Glenn Dorsey, who was kind of the heart and soul of our defense, you know you're never going to replace him. But I do think the strength of our defense is still going to be the defensive line, because of all the people coming back up there.

"At linebacker we lose Ali Highsmith and Luke Sanders, two good quality players, but we've got some good linebackers coming back and some young guys stepping in there who showed a lot of progress in the spring.

"The biggest hits we took came at the corner position, because Chevis Jackson was a three-year starter for us and Jonathan Zenon was a two-year starter for us, and those kids played a lot of quality football. But we've got some young kids coming up, and we feel good about their progress, and this is their time."

Talent won't be an issue for the Tigers, so the real key will be the emergence of leaders who can show the way through tough times in big games.

"I don't know if I've ever been around a program with better character kids than what we had last year," Mallory said. "They were just the epitome of team. Craig Steltz and Jacob Hester played almost every snap on special teams and never wanted to come off the field. The leadership and chemistry those seniors provided last year was special, and now we've got to learn from that and build on it. We've still got a lot of those kids in our program but a lot of them are just young and need time."
 9 years ago '05        #451
K.B.  OP
space
space
QUARTERBACKS

Matt Flynn started only one season, but he passed for 2,407 yards and 21 touchdowns and ran for 215 yards and four touchdowns and led LSU to a national title. Perrilloux started only one big game, but he led LSU to a victory over Tennessee in the SEC Championship and won the game's MVP award.

That leaves the Tigers with only one returning quarterback who even threw a pass in a game, and junior Andrew Hatch (6-3, 214) completed as many passes as wideout Early Doucet last year (one).

Both Miles and Crowton are convinced the situation isn't nearly as dire as it has been made to be outside the program. Between Hatch, redshirt freshman Jarrett Lee (6-2, 190) and incoming freshman Jordan Jefferson (6-4, 210), Crowton believes the Tigers will find an effective, productive

"We lost JaMarcus Russell two years ago, and now we lose Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux, so we're sort of starting over with three young guys," Crowton said. "Two of them have been in the program a little while, and the other is new to the program. I think we're in pretty good shape there. I'd feel a lot different if Perrilloux had taken all the reps in the spring.

"Andrew Hatch and Jarrett Lee split most of the reps in the spring, and I thought they both did a pretty good job. They both completed about 63 percent of their passes and didn't turn the ball over much. They actually had a higher percentage of completion than Matt did last spring. Both of them had about eight interceptions each in all the scrimmages and drills we did, and that's pretty close to where Matt was."

The well-traveled Hatch's story is interesting. He was MVP of Crowton's quarterback camp at BYU and signed with BYU out of high school. When Crowton was forced to resign, Hatch transferred to Harvard but never got on the field after suffering a knee injury during a two-year LDS mission in Chile. When Hatch found out Crowton was at LSU, he decided to follow him to Baton Rouge.

Lee traveled a more direct route as one of the nation's top 15 quarterbacks out of Brenham (Texas) High School, so it's no surprise to find him competing for a starting job -- even as a redshirt freshman.

"Andrew was in our [BYU] camp for two years, and I liked his competitiveness, his athletic ability, his size and strength," Crowton said. "And then Jarrett Lee was one of the top quarterbacks in the nation coming out of his senior year. "Hatch is more mobile and Lee is probably a more polished passer. Even though Hatch is a good passer, I think Lee's just got a great touch and good anticipation, so he's probably a little ahead in that battle.

"They're both very competitive, they have great work ethics and they have good skills. I feel like we're grooming up another good quarterback. I just don't know which one it will be."

Miles and Crowton have both gone out of their way to include Jefferson in any discussions regarding the future of the quarterback position. From Destrehan High School in St. Rose, La., Jefferson was first-team Class 5A All-State and the 5A Offensive Player of the Year in Louisiana in 2007, when he threw for 2,846 yards, 24 touchdowns and only three interceptions.

"Jordan Jefferson is very talented, big and fast, a cannon for an arm," Crowton said. "He'll come in and we'll try to get him going as fast as we can so we can see what he can do."
 9 years ago '05        #452
K.B.  OP
space
space
RUNNING BACKS

The Tigers aren't short on candidate to replace Hester's 1,103 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Just don't expect all of that to come from one back. Instead, look for the Tigers to mix and match junior Charles Scott (5-11, 226), junior Keiland Williams (6-0, 226) and sophomore Richard Murphy (6-1, 197), depending on the situation and who has the hot hand. "I feel like in the backfield we've got some leaders in Charles Scott and Keiland Williams," Crowton said. "Those guys know what they're doing and [junior] Quinn Johnson (6-2, 238) at fullback is a really solid player, so I think we have guys who have played a lot of football who understand what it takes to win in the SEC."

Williams, the best overall athlete of the bunch, ran for 478 yards and six touchdowns in 2007 but was hampered by an ankle injury in the spring. Scott and Murphy played well toward the end of last season and combined for 554 yards and seven touchdowns. Scott brings the best mix of both power and speed but missed the final week of spring practice with an ankle injury. Murphy has the best speed and burst to break big plays, as he showed by rushing for 145 yards on 11 carries and accounting for three touchdowns in the spring game.

"Because they're all good, the committee thing works well for us," Crowton said. "We'll probably have a lead back, but I don't know who it's going to be. The other guys will play a lot, and that keeps everybody fresh and healthy through the end of the year and allows us to use everybody's different skills and strengths. We're not asking one back to carry the entire load, and that's why different guys shine on different days and why we're able to keep defenses off-balance at times."

While Hester often filled a hybrid fullback/tailback role for LSU, Johnson is more of a traditional blocking fullback but should not be ignored as a receiver or runner. "Quinn is an outstanding blocker," Crowton said. "He can lead the way as a blocker, he can catch the ball and he's actually got some running skills. He doesn't have Hester's ability to read the holes from the tailback spot, but he can run up inside and move the pile." Redshirt freshman Stevan Ridley (5-11, 210) showed potential at both tailback and fullback in the spring and could turn out to be a versatile role player for the Tigers.

The one question mark in all this is junior Trindon Holliday (5-5, 160), who would gladly miss the first few games of the season if he earns a spot as a sprinter on the U.S. Summer Olympics team. Holliday plays a situational role at both tailback and receiver and has the speed to turn short screens into big plays.

WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS

The Tigers have lost three receivers in the first three rounds of the last two NFL drafts, but they return a healthy combination of talent, depth and experience with senior Demetrius Byrd (6-2, 195); juniors Brandon LaFell (6-3, 205), Chris Mitchell (6-0, 176), Jared Mitchell (5-11, 192) and R.J. Jackson (6-0, 209) and sophomores Terrance Toliver (6-5, 190) and Ricky Dixon (6-2, 216).

"Last year we lost Early Doucet early in the season, and it gave Demetrius Byrd a chance to really grow, and he finished the season really strong," Crowton said. "Terrance Toliver played a lot more, too, because of Early's injury, and he got some good reps, so even though we're losing Early, we still feel like we're real strong there because of Brandon LaFell, Demetrius Byrd and Terrance Toliver, Chris Mitchell, Jared Mitchell, R.J. Jackson and Ricky Dixon -- all of those guys contributed last year, and we've got some young guys coming in to compete for that last spot."

Byrd stepped up in Doucet's absence and emerged as a go-to receiver, catching 35 passes for 621 yards and a team-high seven touchdowns, including the game-winner against Auburn on the final play of the game.

"Demetrius Byrd runs a 10.3 100 meters, he's big, strong and about 15 pounds heavier and stronger than he was last year," Crowton said. "He's a deep threat, and he can score at any time. Auburn tried to press him and he scored the game-winning touchdown, and after that game no one pressed him anymore."

LaFell stepped into the starting lineup for the first time last year and finished as LSU's second-leading receiver, with 50 receptions for 656 yards and four touchdowns.

"Brandon LaFell went through a spell where he dropped a few balls, but he overcame that and he really is a good receiver," Crowton said. "We can move him around and he's probably our best one-on-one route runner. He has a feel for reading the defenses and finding the holes and understanding what we want him to do. I'm really counting on him to have a good year.

"Brandon has been around the program for awhile. He's very intelligent and he's a good leader. The next thing we need from him is to be able to lead in all situations, and only time will tell if guys will lead when the chips are down. That's what so many people did on our team last year and what we need guys like Brandon and Demetrius to do this year." The best of the bunch may be Toliver, who made significant progress in the spring after catching 10 passes for 249 yards and three touchdowns as a freshman.

"Terrance Toliver will eventually be a superstar," Crowton said. "He's tall, he's easy to find, he runs well, he's got excellent hands and he's got good range. As he learns the offense, he's getting more comfortable with what we're doing. That will give us three really solid, talented guys."

Crowton won't be afraid to keep his receivers fresh or call someone's number in a clutch situation. "Jared Mitchell caught a lot of big balls last year, especially in the Florida game," Crowton said. "Chris Mitchell played well and started for awhile until he injured his ankle. R.J. Jackson and Ricky Dixon are both really solid receivers. And then we've got Trindon Holliday, who's small but has great speed, and we'll keep trying to use him like we did last year to create some big plays as a receiver and a runner."

Crowton isn't afraid to go to junior tight end Richard d*ckson (6-3, 235) either after d*ckson caught 32 passes for 375 yards and five touchdowns in 2007, including two touchdown receptions in the national-championship game.

While Crowton said d*ckson continues to grow as a receiver, he needs to improve on his blocking and the Tigers must look to two redshirt freshmen, Mitch Joseph (6-5, 243) and Alex Russian (6-4, 230), for help with blocking. Incoming freshmen Tyler Edwards (6-3, 240) and Matt Branch (6-5, 240) will also get a shot at earning playing time this fall. Both were highly regarded high school players.

ESPN rated Edwards, from Ouachita Parish High School in Monroe, La., as its No. 6 tight end nationally. Branch, from Sterlington (La.) High School, was also rated the No. 6 tight end in the nation, but by Rivals.com, after catching 32 passes his senior season. "We're hoping out of those four guys we can develop two more real good blocking tight ends," Crowton said.
 9 years ago '05        #453
K.B.  OP
space
space
OFFENSIVE LINE

If there's any one area of the program that's really improved in Miles' tenure, it's the offensive line. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that Miles is a former Michigan offensive lineman and coached the offensive line at Michigan and Colorado. Whatever the reason, an offensive line with four returning starters will provide a strong foundation for the rest of the offense.

The cornerstone of that foundation is senior center Brett Helms (6-2, 270), and the strength of the line runs from center to the end of the left side with the return of junior left tackle Ciron Black (6-5, 320) and senior left guard Herman Johnson (6-7, 356). "We lost some great leaders on offense, but we feel like Helms is a really good leader and really the entire left side of our line, with Ciron and Herman, two really good, solid people," Crowton said. "All three of those guys have played a lot the past two years and they know their jobs well, so the communication on that left side of the line is very good." At right guard, junior Lyle Hitt (6-2, 299) returns for his second year as a starter. "Lyle Hitt will be a little more experienced than he was the year before, and he's solid there with Helms in the middle," Crowton said. "Now all we have to do is bring the right tackles along."

The Tigers lost starting right tackle Carnell Stewart, but Crowton has high hopes for the two players competing for his job -- sophomores Joseph Barksdale (6-4, 310) and Jarvis Jones (6-7, 294).

"Everybody's back on the line but Stewart, and we played Barksdale and Jones a lot whenever we could, so we feel like those guys will be able to fill up that spot," Crowton said. "Their potential and their opportunity to be good is really nice. I think they have a little more potential than Carnell Stewart, so eventually those guys are going to be as good or better than what we had last year."

Senior Ryan Miller (6-6, 302) brings depth and versatility inside because of his ability to play center and guard, but the coaches are particularly excited about the future of two redshirt freshmen, center T-Bob Hebert (6-3, 260) and guard Josh Dworacyzk (6-6, 280).

KICKERS

When he wasn't running for a 15-yard touchdown on a fake field goal against South Carolina, senior Colt David (5-9, 175) was busy emerging as one of the nation's best kickers in 2007. David earned All-SEC honors after kicking a school-record 26 field goals on 33 attempts, with four of those misses coming from 42 yards and beyond, and scoring an SEC single-season record 147 points.

"We know what Colt can do, and we know we can count on Colt to do his job," Miles said.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Dorsey may be gone after sweeping all of the national awards a defensive lineman can win, but it's possible the Tigers will be even better on the defensive line in 2008. "Even though we lost a great player in Glenn Dorsey, I think as a whole we may have more depth on the defensive line this year," co-defensive coordinator Doug Mallory said. "I think we feel really good about what we're capable of doing on the defensive line. With the group we've got coming back, that should be the strength of our defense going into the season."

The strength of the line will be its tackles -- seniors Charles Alexander (6-3, 293), Ricky Jean-Francois (6-3, 281) and Marlon Favorite (6-1, 302), junior Al Woods (6-4, 316) and sophomore Drake Nevis (6-1, 288).

Alexander is back after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the third game of the season and is expected to be ready to go in August. Jean-Francois served an 11-game suspension but still started in the SEC and BCS championship games and won the defensive MVP award in the national title game.

With Alexander out, Favorite started six games and proved to be a solid player inside, while Woods and Nevis were valuable reserves.

"A lot of people don't seem to remember this, but Charles was starting for us early last year before he got hurt," Mallory said. "When he and Glenn were both healthy, we had as good a pair of defensive tackles as any team in college football. We lost Charles after the third game, Glenn got nicked up and was never 100 percent the rest of the season, and we didn't have Ricky Jean throughout the season, so we ended up playing Drake Nevis as a true freshman and he stepped in, played his role and did a really nice job for us."

LSU's senior ends, Tyson Jackson (6-5, 291) and Kirston Pittman (6-4, 252), faced the possibility of not returning to the program this season. Pittman received a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA and Jackson contemplated entering the NFL draft before realizing he needed to return and prove himself as a pass rusher after a somewhat disappointing junior season. While they combined for 29 quarterback hurries last season, they often missed on opportunities to close the deal for a sack. Jackson and Pittman must f!ght off the challenges of senior Tremaine Johnson (6-2, 282), junior Rahim Alem (6-3, 254) and sophomore Lazarius Levingston (6-3, 277).

LINEBACKERS

Like the quarterbacks and cornerbacks, the linebacker spot is one of uncertainty as fall camp begins. At the same time, senior middle linebacker Darry Beckwith (6-1, 230) is one of LSU's most dependable players. It's just that he has often gone unnoticed, despite playing as a freshman and starting the last two seasons.

"Darry's played a lot of football around here, and we felt like he was playing as well as he's ever played coming out of spring," Mallory said. "There have been a lot of guys around him who have gotten more publicity, but here within the program I think we all recognize what Darry brings to this program and the type of leadership and the type of play he's given us the past three years."

Beckwith gives the Tigers a good place to start at linebacker. The same is true of junior Jacob Cutrera (6-4, 235), even though he isn't likely to start this season. "Jacob's versatile and he's really a bright young man, so he can play all three spots," Mallory said. "He gives us a lot of flexibility because he can get the job done wherever we play him."

The Tigers have some questions to answer at the two outside linebacker spots. Junior Perry Riley (6-1, 232) has long been considered the heir apparent at the buck linebacker position, but he missed the entire spring because of an injury. His main competition, redshirt freshman Shomari Clemons (6-2, 220), missed the second half of spring practice after a suspension for an off-the-field incident.

On the other hand, sophomore Kelvin Sheppard (6-3, 223) hasn't seen a lot of playing time, but he had an outstanding spring. "Kelvin has really developed himself both physically and mentally," Mallory said. "I've seen a lot of growth in him from a maturity standpoint. He's doing things the way they're supposed to be done, so we've been pleased with his progress."

The best surprise of the spring was the immediate impact of freshman weak-side linebacker Kellen Theriot (6-1, 225), who enrolled at LSU in January.

Theriot, from Houston's Episcopal High School, made Rivals.com's Texas Top 100 list -- as a quarterback. "Kellen Theriot has improved the most during spring," Beckwith told the Baton Rouge Advocate.
 9 years ago '05        #454
K.B.  OP
space
space
DEFENSIVE BACKS

The ability of Jackson and Zenon to hold their own in man-to-man coverage allowed Pellini to take chances with his front seven and his safeties. At this point, Mallory is still trying to find two cornerbacks who will give him similar options this season.

Junior Chris Hawkins (6-1, 175) and sophomore Jai Eugene (5-11, 184) entered the spring as the most likely candidates to win the starting jobs, but they often struggled against LSU's best receivers. Of course, that might have something to do with the quality of LSU's receivers, but it also means LSU's corners have something to prove in their new roles.

They'll also have to f!ght off continued competition from redshirt freshmen Ron Brooks (5-11, 180) and Phelon Jones (5-11, 195).

"Chris has played some football here -- he's played special teams and he's played in a backup role," Mallory said. "Chris is talented; he just hasn't been a starter for us. He's got the ability the other kids had before him, so I think it's just a matter of the more reps he gets and the more confidence he gains. He'll be a quality corner for us. "Jai Eugene came out of the spring No. 1, but he's being pushed pretty hard. We really liked the progress of Ron Brooks and Phelon Jones, but yet they're still freshmen, so they haven't played a snap in Tiger Stadium yet."

Miles and Mallory have both dropped enough hints that it wouldn't be a big surprise if incoming freshmen Patrick Johnson (6-1, 175) and Brandon Taylor (6-0, 178) find themselves in the mix before too long. "We've got some freshmen coming in who are going to get a look at those corner spots," Mallory said.

Of the two, Johnson, a consensus five-star recruit, comes with the most accolades. The product of Ely High School in Pompano Beach, Fla. was a Parade and USA Today All-American and was chosen by USA Today as its Defensive Player of the Year. ESPN listed him as its No. 1 cornerback. For all the uncertainty at the corners, the safeties are another team strength -- even with the loss of Steltz. The Tigers still return starting free safety Curtis Taylor (6-3, 204) as well as junior strong safety Harry Coleman (6-2, 205), junior free safety Danny McCray (6-1, 206) and talented sophomore Chad Jones (6-2, 222), who may be the team's best overall athlete and will probably play a regular role even if he doesn't start.

LSU uses so many nickel and dime packages and makes so many substitutions that the coaches think of Coleman, McCray and Jones as full-time players. It was Jones who came through on a blitz against Alabama and forced a fumble that led to LSU's game-winning touchdown. "That's how Craig Steltz was, too," Mallory said. "Even after we lost LaRon Landry and Jessie Daniels the year before, we felt good about Craig coming back because he had played so much football for us. He was a full-time player, and we looked at him as a starter.

"Because of all the sub packages we play in our nickel and dime schemes, we were able to get a lot of kids out on the field, and they've all been very good special teams players for us. We lost Craig, but we've got good depth at the safeties. Look at what happened in the bowl game when Craig went down. Harry Coleman stepped in and really played well in that game. It really helped his confidence, and he came out of the spring as one of our better safeties.

"We're counting on Curtis to have a better year this year and Danny and Chad had good years for us last year and continued to get better in the spring, so we've got good depth at the safeties."

PUNTERS

With Patrick Fisher graduating, LSU has a big hole to fill at punter, and none of the current candidates really stepped forward as an obvious solution in the spring.

Two walk-ons, senior Brady Dalfrey (6-0, 207) and freshman Drew Alleman (6-0, 172) and scholarship sophomore Josh Jasper (5-10, 155) are competing for the punting job with Dalfrey leading the way entering preseason practice.

SPECIAL TEAMS

While Alleman didn't win the punting job, he did prove to be the best kickoff specialist in the spring. Almost anything would be an improvement at this point. Jasper kicked off 39 times last year but averaged only 59 yards with one touchback.

Sophomore Andrew Crutchfield (6-1, 190) kicked off 33 times last year, averaging 63 yards per kick with one touchback.

David spent the spring adapting to a new holder (Lee) and snapper (Russian), with mixed results. He missed 3-of-4 field goals in the spring game, so the Tigers have work to do to pull everything together in that department.

LSU has its share of potential game-breakers in the return game, but outside of one touchdown return by Holliday, the Tigers weren't very productive on either kickoff or punt returns.

Holliday will continue to return kickoffs, but the coaches don't trust his hands on punt returns. If he ends up running in the Olympics, Chris and Jared Mitchell will probably return kicks. Jones has shown an ability to return punts but also struggled with his hands and judgment in the spring game.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

At a booster club meeting in May, Miles pointed to his BCS national championship ring and said it will only be worn for speaking engagements and recruiting visits. The fans don't have to move on, but the coaches and the players must. "I can't be a stick in the mud and say we'll never talk about it again," Miles told his audience "But coach Mallory and coach Crowton, they're on to 2008 fully. And our players are on to 2008. The team is preparing for next season, because it's always about the next game."

The season opens with three opportunities to prepare for the real meat of the schedule. The Tigers open against Championship Subdivision Appalachian State, which has won three straight national titles, and they aren't likely to make the same mistake Michigan made in its 2007 season-opening loss to the Mountaineers.

They follow with home games against Troy and North Texas before playing at Auburn on Sept. 20.

Aside from road games at Auburn and Florida, and possibly South Carolina and Arkansas under the right circumstances, this is a schedule with eight home games and suitably built for another run at the SEC championship. The Tigers trade Kentucky for East favorite Georgia, but at least they'll play the Bulldogs at home. Saban also returns to LSU for the first time since he left, which ought to be a lot of fun for LSU fans but possibly just another big SEC game for the Tigers.

The foundation is strong, especially on both lines, and the talent at the skill positions is impressive. If the Tigers find and develop the right quarterbacks and cornerbacks, they'll be hard to beat once again this season.

"The challenge for this football team is to keep the bar where it's been," Miles said. "Every year that we've been here, that's been the goal. I think that our football team will understand that's where we're at, and that's the level that we're going to play. "We've been in a position in this program to do some special things, and we don't believe this team will be any different."

For the most comprehensive previews available on the Division I-A teams, order the "Bible" of college football, the 2008 Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, at or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).

Source:
 9 years ago '06        #455
RalphLaurenJR 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,216 | Props total: 31 31
Lsssssssssssuuuuuuuuu
 9 years ago '05        #456
K.B.  OP
space
space
I know someone asked about the schedule for this season

Sat, Aug 30 Appalachian St. Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium) 4:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 06 Troy Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium) 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 13 North Texas Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium) 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 20 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. (Jordan-Hare Stadium) TBA
Sat, Sep 27 Mississippi St. (HC) * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium) TBA
Sat, Oct 11 Florida * at Gainesville, Fla. (Ben Hill Griffin Stadium) TBA
Sat, Oct 18 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. (Williams-Brice Stadium) TBA
Sat, Oct 25 Georgia * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium) TBA
Sat, Nov 01 Tulane Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium) 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 08 Alabama * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium) TBA
Sat, Nov 22 Ole Miss * Baton Rouge, La. (Tiger Stadium) TBA
Fri, Nov 28 Arkansas * at Little Rock, Ark. (War Memorial Stadium) 1:30 p.m.
Auburn game gonna be a night game on espn i think. Georgia game is suppose to be an afternoon game. Alabama might be an afternoon game as well. Florida game will be a night game.

Last edited by K.B.; 07-10-2008 at 11:00 PM..
 07-11-2008, 01:50 AM         #457
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 K.B. said:
I know someone asked about the schedule for this season

Auburn game gonna be a night game on espn i think. Georgia game is suppose to be an afternoon game. Alabama might be an afternoon game as well. Florida game will be a night game.
That Auburn night game will be insane.
 9 years ago '07        #458
sonof504 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,922 | Props total: 86 86
 Hurricane Ra said:
That Auburn night game will be insane.

Yeah, once again it'll probably be the game that decides the SEC West champ. The Bama game will be huge with Saban coming into death Valley. I don't think death Valley will get any louder then on that night.
 07-11-2008, 03:48 AM         #459
-Scar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

another tiger fan im cool with posted this on another forum
figured y'all could use this to rep your sh*t on here on boxden

[pic - click to view]

just like i will with mine

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

*edit*

oops
guess its shows u[p better on a white background

Last edited by -Scar-; 07-11-2008 at 03:50 AM..
 9 years ago '05        #460
K.B.  OP
space
space
LSU coach Les Miles announced today that offensive
tackle Jarvis Jones has been dismissed from the football team for violation of team rules.

Jones, a native of Rosenburg, Texas, played in seven games last year as a true freshman for the Tigers.

“The issues we had with Jarvis were internal and ones that we dealt with within the framework of our team,” Miles said. “However, we just felt like it was time to go in a different direction. We wish him well in any of his future endeavors.”

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
279 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
21 comments
1 day ago