Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
122 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
150 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
39 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-24-2007, 12:55 AM         #81
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

August 17, 2007

Alan Dell
USFBullsEYE.com a.ssociate Editor

Talk about it in the Message Boards

There is only one depth chart that matters for the University of South Florida football team. It's the one head coach Jim Leavitt carries in his head. You won't find it on any website or in a press release. You have to delve inside Leavitt's head to get a glimpse of where everyone stands.

If you've been there, you can't tell anyone who let you in. He talks to people and they talk to others and you put the pieces together. It's not science, but it can be quite revealing.

I've been there. Can't tell you how and I'm only going to tell you what I saw and heard about the running backs. You may look at this as a Ripley's Believe Or Not. It's all right. If you don't believe, don't read another word. If you think what I am going to say could be true, keep your eyes rolling.

The question so many seem to want answered is where the running backs stand and what does Leavitt really think?

Here's what I've seen . . .

The one who sits atop Leavitt's depth chart at running back won't start the first game. He might not start the second game. He might not even finish the season as the Bulls leading rusher. There are many intangibles involved.

Mike Ford is the guy. Don't believe it? Then don't read anymore. Yes, I've seen it. This is the guy Leavitt believes can be the difference between a Big East championship or another trip to a nice, but meaningless bowl. The other coaches like him. They know what he is capable of . . . but they are not talking.

You don't have to be a football fan to figure this one out. The Bulls have some talented running backs, but no one has the combination of size, speed and brute strength Ford brings. So why isn't Leavitt talking? Why isn't he telling you that Ford is the guy he believes can take this team to their dreams?

There are so many reasons. Some involve how Leavitt thinks. Others relate to Ford himself.

Leavitt loves competition at every position. It's one reason he feels disappointed about his quarterback situation. He wants someone to challenge Matt Grothe and make him feel he is not the only option at the position.

The competition at running back is heated, so why should Leavitt ruin it and, besides, there is no guarantee Ford can deliver what the coach wants. But he knows the potential is there. Leavitt and the other coaches wanted so bad to get a big, bruising running back who can cause nightmares for defensive backs and punish them every time they make a tackle. They've felt all along that Ford is that guy.

Leavitt has slipped a few times and let down his guard. He said recently to a media gathering that Ford could be a great running back, but he isn't yet. Listen to that word "great." He will talk about the other running backs and openly admire their talents, but only Ford has been linked with greatness.

Leavitt wants to keep Ford hungry and not discourage any of the other running backs. But he also doesn't want to put too much pressure on Ford. The 6-2, 228-pounder has been through a lot of trauma since he walked through the graduation line at Sarasota High as the career and single-season rushing leader.

Ford is a human battering ram on the football field. He loves contact and dishes out as much punishment as those trying to tackle him. But off the field, Ford is on the gentle side. He is a sensitive person with a lot of pride, and when people were making disparaging remarks about his troubles trying to get academically qualified at Alabama after high school, it hurt.

Trying to get NCAA approval to play and navigate through all the red tape he encountered in his two years out of high school was difficult and at times painful. But perhaps nothing hurt more then the recent death of his father. When Mike turned himself in on an arrest warrant for traffic violations that included unpaid tickets and driving without a license, he knew his father would be relieved.

Unfortunately, that same day Mike's father died.

He never got to hear his dad tell him how proud he was that he did the right thing. He never got to hear his father tell him how gratified he felt.

Did he feel abandoned? How would you feel?

Leavitt doesn't want to put any undue pressure on Ford. He doesn't want to put Ford in the position that may disappoint himself or others.

The numbers Ford put up in high school were mind boggling. There were 11 games of 200 plus yards rushing, but the intangibles he demonstrated were just as impressive. In his final high school game before a record crowd of more than 8,000 fans at Sarasota High against arch-rival Riverview in the region championship, Ford showed a toughness and demeanor you don't forget.

Riverview literally beat him up, often a.ssigning two or three guys to shadow him and knock him down on nearly every play. The entire Riverview defense played at another dimension, dedicating itself to stopping Ford.

Ford never complained, never lamented and never criticized his teammates who couldn't do anything to take the pressure off him. After the game that Sarasota lost, he was one of the first to congratulate the Riverview coaching staff for their game plan.

It was another example of how hard it is to bring Ford down. It's another reason why he is on the first team depth chart that Leavitt won't allow you to see.
 10 years ago '05        #82
BoSox84  OP
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
 RakimAllahNY said:
August 23, 2007

David Glaser
USFBullsEYE.com Managing Editor

Matt Grothe Sr. first knew something was up when his cell phone started ringing and the incoming numbers weren't familiar. These days, as he makes his way around Polk County on daily stops for his construction company, there will come the random call.

From left: Matt Sr., Chris, Brenda and Matt.
"Is this Matt Grothe?" the caller on the other end typically asks.

"This is Matt, but who are you looking for?" Grothe answers.

Caller: "The quarterback at USF."

Grothe: "This is his dad."

Caller: "Well, tell him great job!"

It has become the price of fame for the Grothes . . . and the price of driving a truck emblazoned with "Grothe Construction" and a phone number that looks like an invitation to mostly well-meaning Bulls fans.

This time last year, Matt Grothe the quarterback was recognizable to only the most diehard USF supporters. This week, his picture appears in USA Today and he's featured prominently in a story at ESPN.com. It's not quite overnight success, but it's pretty darned close.

Grothe is shaping up to be USF's first legitimate poster boy. In its brief history, there have been plenty of other talented, personable players go through USF's program – guys like Andre Hall, Marquel Blackwell and Kawika Mitchell come quickly to mind. But Grothe has an advantage over his predecessors. He has the vehicle of the BCS and a Big East Conference that has gone from media whipping boy to media darling in less than 12 months. Fickle, those sportswriters.

One of the qualities most often attributed to Matt is his unflappable nature – on and off the field. From where I stand, that's clearly genetic. Although dad Matt and mom Brenda are thrilled for their son and proud of how he's handled the acclaim, they sidestep most of the "celebrity" the way Matthew does a blitzing linebacker.

Still, there are things that even the Grothes can't help but find just a little jaw-dropping.

"When someone posted a photo of the billboard with Matthew's picture on it, first I thought it was a pretty good trick with Photoshop. But when I read about the location, we had to check it out," Matt Sr. said. "On the way over to a practice one day, my wife and I drove to see it. I pulled into the parking lot and looked up at it. I just sat there for awhile until it sunk in. I thought, 'Wow, that's kind of cool.' "

Cool like Grothe in the fourth quarter of a tie game.

Around their Lakeland-area home, Grothe Fever is even more pronounced. When Matt Sr. uses his debit or credit card in a restaurant, his last name rarely escapes notice. And when the family – including younger brothers Chris and David – makes its frequent trips to have dinner with Matt, there are inevitable interruptions.

"If we go over to Tampa and take him to the Outback, there's always one or two people who will come up and ask for an autograph. It takes you back at first to have someone asking your 20-year-old son for an autograph, but he handles it so well," Matt Sr. said. "He knows there are 10 other guys – more really – out there on the field helping him succeed.

"I'm just happy for him. You have to be as a parent. I just look at it that he's doing what he loves and he's good at what he does. Did I have any idea he'd be at this point right now? Of course not. I knew what he could do as a dad and as a coach, but there's so much of the unknown at the college level. It's humbling really. It's been quite a trip."

That trip will no doubt include more than a few bumps before it's over. Already there were headlines over an offseason bartending gig that didn't go exactly as planned. First lesson learned. The Grothes realize that's just a taste of what's possible once you're in the spotlight - whether it's one you've sought or one that's simply found you.

"Sometimes I do wish everyone would back off a little with a lot of the hype," Matt Sr. admitted. "But it comes with the territory and you live by it. Matt's a good kid and he handles it. And the good thing is, somebody sees your name and it opens their eyes to USF football."
Just finished reading that like 20 minutes ago. Grothe fu*kin blew up with the quickness.

And as far as the defense, 2007 should be a great year for the defense

Last edited by BoSox84; 08-24-2007 at 12:57 AM..
 08-24-2007, 12:57 AM         #83
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 16, 2007

Nick Capogna with Dave Glaser
Special to USFBullsEYE.com

# Senior center Nick Capogna shares his thoughts throughout the season in an exclusive diary here at USFBullsEYE.com:

By now, you know about all the injuries we've had on the offensive line. The good news is none of them are serious, but I'll tell you, I've gotten a lot more reps than I've needed so far in two-a-days. I'm counting myself lucky just to be healthy.

Honestly, I think maybe this will be a good thing in the long run. We've never had more than eight guys ready to go. With the injuries, a lot of the young guys have been getting reps with the (starters). That can only help them get better if they have to play somewhere down the line this season. And I'm not worried at all about the returning guys getting on the same page when they get back in the lineup. We're lucky. We all came together at the end of last year and we're still there.

Coach Leavitt has been really complimentary to Sampson Genus, the freshman from Lake City Columbia, and I definitely understand why. He's gonna be a player. I'm glad I'm a senior or I'd probably be losing my job. I don't know what they're doing up there, but every kid we've had from Columbia has just been a beast in the weight room. Sampson is the same. He reminds me a lot of John Miller, but he's bigger and stronger. Once he learns the plays, he'll be something special.

It's pretty impressive that he's been able to come in and compete physically right away. It's so much different from the high school level when you get here. But with the success we've had, the recruiting is bringing in guys now that are really physically imposing. I remember when I came in it was a completely different world. I'm not sure they'd recruit a guy like me now.

The other freshman who I've really been impressed with is Jamar Taylor. Wow, he's definitely going to be special. He just has a knack for running the football. He runs hard and he's real competitive. He takes it real serious in every drill.

We're so deep at running back this year. Top to bottom, it's the most impressive bunch I've been around. Mo Plancher is coming back from the ACL and he looks the same to me. He's still as shifty as ever. He's just wearing a brace now. We have so much talent there that if they're not successful, I blame myself and the rest of the offensive line.

We're still running the spread offense under Coach Gregory, but we're doing a lot of new things. I'm pretty excited about it. This isn't going to be the same offense you saw last year. We're putting the ball in the hands of our playmakers. Unfortunately, we lost a good one in Colby Erskin. My heart goes out to that kid. He was about five yards away from me when it happened. He planted and you knew it was something serious. I especially feel for him because he's from my area and I always want guys from my area to do well. But Colby will be back. He'll be in there rehabbing. It just means somebody else has to step up.

We have our first scrimmage on Saturday and it'll be interesting to see our chemistry. In my experience, the defense usually hands it to the offense in the first scrimmage, but I think we can do some things. And if we can move the ball against our defense, we can move it on anyone.

We lost some great players like Snake (Stephen Nicholas) and Patrick (St. Louis), but we're good to go at linebacker. Tyrone McKenzie is playing lights-out football. Chris Robinson will be back and he's solid at linebacker or defensive end. There's Brouce Mompremier and Ben's back in the middle. All those guys will be ready to play.

I wish I could say we're getting over the hump, but there really isn't one until . . . well, January, after the bowl game. It's not like once the season starts we ease up. Our practices during the season are pretty physical. During two-a-days, you just try to survive. This is the toughest week and you can't look ahead. You take it one drill at a time, one play at a time. For me, it's practice, eat, practice, go to bed. I've never been so happy to get in bed at 10 o'clock and it's the only time when I pray for classes to start.
 08-24-2007, 12:57 AM         #84
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
*drafts on Madden* New Brady back up
 10 years ago '05        #85
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
With three Peach State signees in last year's class, the Bulls have continued to expand their recruiting push north of the Florida border with a recent commitment from Buford's Demetris Murray.

Buford, Ga. running back Demetris Murray chose the Bulls over Maryland and Wake Forest.
The 5-foot-11, 205-pound running back gave USF his pledge over offers from ACC programs Maryland and Wake Forest after making a visit to Tampa earlier this summer. Murray has family in Florida – grandparents in Fort Lauderdale and cousins in Jacksonville – and he said the Bulls were an easy choice.

"I went there on a visit, I guess about three months ago. I loved everything about it," Murray said. "It's in Florida, where I've always wanted to play. I loved the coaches. They have a lot of degree programs I can choose from. It felt right.

"They want me to play running back, but when I sat down with Coach (Jim) Leavitt, he talked more about getting a degree than he did about football. That was different. Most of the coaches I've talked with just talk football. Coach Leavitt said, 'If you come here, you'll leave with a degree. That's what we're about.' That was really important."

USF began showing recruiting interest in Murray in the spring, and offensive coordinator Greg Gregory was Murray's primary recruiter. The Bulls were obviously impressed by Murray's junior numbers and his potential combination of speed and power.

In 2006, splitting time in the Buford backfield with teammate Quentin Cantrell, Murray still piled up 1,090 yards and 20 touchdowns on 143 rushing attempts. Observers describe him as a power back who seeks out contact, but Murray said he's versatile.

"I'm competitive. I have good strength and vision. I also have enough speed to get to the outside. I run a 4.4," Murray said when asked to describe his strengths as a player.

Murray was set to let the recruiting process play out fully after making summer visits to Maryland and Wake, but was bowled over by the Bulls and considers himself a solid commitment. He also plays free safety at Buford and said he wouldn't be opposed to playing on the defensive side as a collegian.

"I'd prefer running back, but if it turned out to be the best, I'd make the switch," he said.

For now, however, Murray is pointed toward his senior season at Buford, which figures to have post-season potential in 2007. With Murray, three BHS prospects have now committed to Division I schools, including standout defensive tackle Omar Hunter, who is headed for Notre Dame.
i think thats seven already
 10 years ago '05        #86
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 RakimAllahNY said:
*drafts on Madden* New Brady back up
 10 years ago '05        #87
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
I'm going to the West Va game for sure. We're going to murder Elon, if it wasn't so hot and there wasn't a wedding I'm going to, I would have gone.
 10 years ago '05        #88
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Games I'll be at:

Elon
Auburn
UNC
West Virginia
FAU
UCF
Cincinnati
Louisville
 10 years ago '05        #89
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
I'll be at
UCF - fu*k dem n*ggas
Louisville
WVA
possibly Cinnci
 10 years ago '05        #90
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Depth Chart is set for the Elon game:

10 years ago '05        #91
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Jamar Taylor got his hardship waiver approved :applause: We're fu*kin loaded at runningback for once
 10 years ago '05        #92
booker20 
space
space
Entering its 11th season of existence, the South Florida football program has grown up quickly.

It's well ahead of younger brothers Florida Atlantic and Florida International. It even has surpassed its closest sibling, UCF, as the Sunshine State's up-and-coming program.

But the Bulls still need to stage a teenage rebellion to leave the kid's table and join the Big Three of Florida, Florida State and Miami.

"Most people would say South Florida is a program that is interesting," South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said. "We're not part of the Big Three and not part of the other three. That's kind of where we are. We're a team in no man's land."

Associated Press
'Matt Grothe is USF's first superstar player since its arrival in the Big East.
In its first decade, South Florida has grown out of Division I-AA to Conference USA and then to the Big East.

Although the last two seasons have brought South Florida its first two bowl games and first bowl win, winning lower-tier bowl games soon won't be enough for the upstart Bulls.

South Florida enters the 2007 season with the most promise in its short existence.

The Bulls return 16 starters from a team that won nine games. Under the guidance of Leavitt, they have established an identity as a tough defensive team. They also have their first marquee player of the Big East era in quarterback Matt Grothe, the league's rookie of the year.

"The biggest thing is probably that I've noticed this summer is the confidence of everybody has risen tremendously the last couple of months," said Grothe, the only quarterback in the country to pass for 2,500 yards and run for 600. "Everybody wants to win the Big East this year."

The Bulls are optimistic they can pull off the unthinkable and appear in a BCS bowl game in only their third season in a major conference.

South Florida has defeated each Big East team at least once over the last two seasons. It has picked up convincing wins over the league's top two teams as well. The Bulls earned a 45-14 win over No. 9 Louisville in 2005 and captured a 24-19 victory over No. 7 West Virginia in Morgantown last season.

"We've beaten every single team in Conference USA and every team in the Big East," Leavitt said. "To me that's the story. That's bigger than any one win. We're making some interesting steps. Every year we've done a little bit, something else has happened."

The Bulls are well aware that finishing as a top Big East team won't be enough to move them into the same breath as Florida, Florida State and Miami.

That can only happen on the field, where the Bulls are still finding their footing among state teams.

South Florida is 4-0 against UCF, FIU and FAU but lost its only game (27-7, to Miami) against the state's top three.

Upcoming schedules, however, will provide more of a measuring stick. The Bulls will have their chance in coming years with five games scheduled against Miami from 2009-13 and a home-and-home against Florida in 2010 and 2015.

RISING FAST
A look at each of Florida's Division I-A programs and when they've reached specific milestones.
School First season First bowl First conf. title
Florida 1906 1953 1984*
Miami 1926 1933 1992
Central Florida 1979 2005 None
South Florida 1997 2005 None
Florida Atlantic 2002 None None
Florida International 2002 None None
*Vacated
The question, though, is whether Leavitt - the only football coach in school history - will be in Tampa to watch his program mature.

Despite overtures from Alabama and Kansas State, South Florida is confident Leavitt will be around to watch the Bulls go toe-to-toe with Miami and Florida.

"He ain't going nowhere," Grothe said.

Leavitt signed a seven-year, $7 million deal in 2005 to stay in Tampa. The USF campus is not far from Leavitt's high school stomping grounds, Dixie Hollins in St. Petersburg.

"The program has not only taken a step forward each year, but under Jim's leadership has taken a step forward consistently," said Doug Woolard, South Florida's athletic director since 2004. "Jim has so much passion for this area. This is where his roots are."

Leavitt has shown on the recruiting trail just how deep his roots go in the state. Ninety percent of the players on South Florida's 2007 roster come from Florida.

South Florida is looking to win in-state bragging rights on and off the field. South Florida seldom recruits head-to-head with the state's big programs. They rarely compete with the "Big Three" for a top prospect. However, each small victory counts.

"We still have to sell it pretty hard," Leavitt said. "(But) our recruiting has changed. We're able to get in on the right guys. We've been able to beat Florida, Florida State and Miami on one guy (each), and then beat them on two. Suddenly, that's six (playing for South Florida)."

Much more could change with a strong performance Sept. 8 at No. 18 Auburn, in what will likely be the toughest nonconference game for any Big East team.

Before defeating North Carolina in Chapel Hill last year, South Florida had lost eight consecutive games to nonconference opponents from BCS leagues.

There's a sense of opportunity at South Florida, a chance for the program to leave behind its childhood and join the grown-ups of Florida, Florida State and Miami.

"We should have a good team this year," Grothe said. "We have a pretty dang tough schedule this year. If we do well we should be right up there."
11 seasons no team can say they blow up like this...
 10 years ago '05        #93
booker20 
space
space
 BoSox84 said:
Jamar Taylor got his hardship waiver approved :applause: We're fu*kin loaded at runningback for once
Ford and Taylor = Andre Hall who?
Elon has a true freshman starting at qb

Last edited by booker20; 08-28-2007 at 05:00 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #94
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 booker20 said:
Ford and Taylor = Andre Hall who?
Elon has a true freshman starting at qb
For real man :wow: They had a pretty good passing attack last year (for an "FCS" team), but damn, this kid is gonna make his first start against one of the better Division I-"BCS" defenses.
 08-29-2007, 12:26 AM         #95
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
9-8-07 at Auburn

is this on national tv?
 10 years ago '05        #96
BoSox84  OP
space
space
ESPN 2 as far as I know. Gametime is 9pm eastern, 8 central
 08-29-2007, 12:33 AM         #97
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Word, hate to admit it but I aint really sat down and watching USF from start to finish.
 10 years ago '05        #98
BoSox84  OP
space
space
That game could be a good time to start. Got my tickets to night. We're fu*kin way up in the boonies
 08-29-2007, 12:37 AM         #99
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
True that, esp since were playing you guys later. I'll def go down there for both home at homes too
 10 years ago '05        #100
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Man, I'm so fu*kin hyped for this season to start, especially after Taylor's hardship waiver got cleared today :applause: I can't fu*kin wait to have a set of good runningbacks and a good QB at the same time :applause:
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
171 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
264 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Big Baller Brand Shoe Review
91 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
62 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
170 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
When You Catch The Homie Wearin Fake Red 11s
20 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who are these washed up niggas next to Drake?
52 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
115 comments
2 days ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy