The Official 2007-2008 USF Thread

most viewed right now
NBA Wildest Game Stats of the Year so far...?
17 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA NBA GMs vote Wolves star Towns best player to build around - Is it still t..
45 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
126 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Tom Savage concussion makes clear that NFL's protocol has major issues
12 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #41
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
 BoSox84 said:
Alton Voss got cleared academically by the NCAA :applause:
I heard that there is a good chance that voss will be playing on defense once his knee is 100%... but then again the depth at qb is nice to have....
 10 years ago '05        #42
BoSox84  OP
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
 booker20 said:
I heard that there is a good chance that voss will be playing on defense once his knee is 100%... but then again the depth at qb is nice to have....
There's thoughts that he could move to safety or bulk up a little bit more and play linebacker, but I think it could depend on how well he picks up the offense
 10 years ago '05        #43
booker20 
space
space
A week in Florida and a fact-finding trip to Tampa convinced Cincinnati Moeller High School star Chedrick Cherry that USF is the place for him.

Cincinnati Moeller's Ched Cherry said he was drawn by the Florida sunshine.
Cherry initiated contact with the Bulls and said he will return to Tampa next week to talk with the coaching staff about the possibility of securing a scholarship for 2007.

"I talked with Patrick Burnham, who's in charge of their high school relations. I had to go through him with my application to make sure that goes through before I can talk with the coaches," Cherry said. "I'm going back and I'll know next week. I'm 98-percent sure I'll be down there."

Cherry said he'll likely walk on to the program if there is no room for him as a scholarship player in the incoming class.

"If I don't get one (a scholarship), I know I can earn one," he said.

Cherry, a three-year starter, missed his junior season with a knee injury, but rebounded with a solid senior year that included 45 receptions for 688 yards and five touchdowns. He also averaged 18.5 yards on punt returns and 20.2 yards on kickoffs, and holds Moeller's career record for return yardage. Cherry was named first team all-city by the Cincinnati Enquirer, first team all-Southwest Ohio and honorable mention all-state.

He said he was recruited by Wisconsin and Indiana, and had scholarship offers from Cincinnati, Bowling Green and other Mid-American Conference schools, but decided to consider warmer options.

"It's been hard. I've been stressing, but I didn't want to stay in (the Cincinnati area). I have an uncle in Miami, so there's a connection there," Cherry said. "When I got down (to USF) I liked everything – the school, the campus, the classes. I'm going to be a business major and they have one of the top programs."

Cherry had his most explosive game of the 2006 season with 249 all-purpose yards in a win against LaSalle. He was selected to play in the Southwest Ohio Football Coaches a.ssociations East-West All-Star game on June 7, and produced a 32-yard touchdown reception. Cherry was also a hurdler for Moeller's track team.
dont kno if they should jus give the kid a scholly...
 10 years ago '04        #44
madness 15 heat pts15
space
space
space
$13,021 | Props total: 2922 2922
USF is creepin up steadily
can't wait til we start playin yall
 10 years ago '05        #45
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 booker20 said:
dont kno if they should jus give the kid a scholly...
The dude that does the USF blogs for the St. Pete Times said he might not even be able to get in school in time for this season because he has yet to go through the application process and everything
 10 years ago '05        #46
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 madness said:
USF is creepin up steadily
can't wait til we start playin yall
 10 years ago '04        #47
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
one of the websites (maybe fox sports) had a guy that was asked what program he could see being a powerhouse in about 6-7 years and he chose USF cuz of the recruiting base, jim leavitt and being in tampa

that would be sick to have 4 teams from FLA in the top 20 year in year out

at some of the auburn fans acting as if the USF game is like playing vandy....

that game scares me the more I think about it and tuberville always loses a game or 2 a year where the other team is good but not as good as AU (last year Ark. and UGA; year before Ga Tech, Wisc)

Last edited by UknowWhatItIs; 06-27-2007 at 03:48 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #48
booker20 
space
space
Breaking down the offense

Overview: South Florida's offense last year featured the inconsistency you'd expect from a team with a redshirt freshman starting at quarterback. The Bulls averaged just 10.3 points per game in their four losses, but they compiled 28.7 points per game in their nine wins. The return of quarterback Matt Grothe and all five starters on the offensive line should allow the Bulls to develop more consistency this fall.

SOUTH FLORIDA TOP 10
Matt Grothe, 2006 Big East Rookie of the Year, led the Bulls in rushing and passing.

1. LB Ben Moffitt
2. QB Matt Grothe
3. DE George Selvie
4. CB Mike Jenkins
5. WR Taurus Johnson
6. CB Trae Williams
7. WR Amarri Jackson
8. DE/LB Chris Robinson
9. OT Marc Dile
10. DT Allen Cray
Best player: Grothe. The 2006 Big East Rookie of the Year led South Florida in passing and rushing yardage last year on his way to ranking second among all freshmen in total offense. It will be interesting to see if Grothe runs the ball quite as often this season or becomes more of a conventional quarterback after gaining 622 yards on 178 carries last year.

Most overrated: WR Amarri Jackson. He remains one of South Florida's most recognizable players on the basis of his huge performance in an upset of Louisville two years ago. Jackson is a solid receiver capable of making spectacular plays, but his inconsistency has prevented him from realizing the promise he showed in that Louisville game.

Most underrated: WR Taurus Johnson. While Jackson tries to live up to his potential, Johnson has developed into arguably the Bulls' top all-around receiver. Johnson caught 37 passes for 494 yards last year and also scored touchdowns on three of his five carries.

Must step up: Jackson: The Bulls need someone to step in for Ean Randolph and S.J. Green, who combined to catch 69 passes for 834 yards. A breakthrough season from Jackson could prevent the Bulls from missing Randolph and Green too much.

Shoes to fill: The entire receiving corps. Randolph is the most talented offensive player South Florida lost from last year's team. His combination of receiving and kick-returning skills could make it tough for the Bulls to replace him with just one guy.

Impact newcomer: RB Mike Ford. This former five-star prospect from Sarasota (Fla.) High originally signed with Alabama and enrolled at Hargrave Military Academy before ending up at South Florida. Ford is talented enough to provide an immediate burst to South Florida's rushing attack. Ford and current Denver Broncos running back Travis Henry are the only Florida high school players in history to rush for at least 200 yards in 11 consecutive games.

Position battle: Running back. Although they love Grothe's ability to run the ball, the Bulls would love to have a running back lead them in rushing this season. Benjamin Williams returns after rushing for 436 yards last year, but he will have to hold off challenges from Moise Plancher and Ford. Plancher was expected to win a starting job last year, but a torn anterior cruciate ligament knocked him out for the season.

New in 2007: South Florida has a new offensive coordinator (Greg Gregory), passing game coordinator (Mike Canales), offensive line coach (Mike Simmonds) and tight ends coach (Larry Scott).

Grade the units:
QB: B-plus. Grothe threw 14 interceptions last year, which is the only thing keeping this talented sophomore from earning an A-minus or an A.
RB: C. There's too much uncertainty here to warrant a higher grade.
WR/TE: B. Even without Randolph, the Bulls have plenty of talented pass catchers.
OL: B. Offensive tackle Marc Dile and center Nick Capogna lead a line that returns all five starters.

Breaking down the defense

Overview: South Florida returns most of its top players from a unit that ranked 11th in the nation in pass efficiency, 18th in scoring defense and 25th in total defense last year. Although the Bulls had major defections in their offensive coaching staff, they welcome back defensive coordinator Wally Burnham. USF has also brought former Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney aboard as the defensive line coach.

Best player: LB Ben Moffitt. Moffitt collected 112 tackles last year. He also had two fumble recoveries in the upset of West Virginia. He has started 30 consecutive games and will have to provide more leadership now that Stephen Nicholas has moved on to the NFL.

South Florida Schedule
Date Opponent
Sept. 1 Elon
Sept. 8 at Auburn
Sept. 22 North Carolina
Sept. 28 West Virginia
Oct. 6 at Florida Atlantic
Oct. 13 Central Florida
Oct. 18 at Rutgers
Oct. 27 at Connecticut
Nov. 3 Cincinnati
Nov. 10 at Syracuse
Nov.17 Louisville
Nov. 24 at Pittsburgh
Most overrated: CB Trae Williams. Williams earned first-team all-Big East honors and led the conference with seven interceptions last year, but the reason he picked off so many passes is because South Florida opponents didn't want to throw in the direction of fellow cornerback Mike Jenkins. Although Jenkins is the Bulls' true shutdown corner, Williams earned the majority of the acclaim because he made all those picks.

Most underrated: DT Allen Cray. This senior has been a part-time starter the last three years and has more career starts than any other South Florida defensive lineman. Although he only started the first eight games last year, Cray still finished with eight tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks to lead all interior linemen in both categories.

Must step up: DE Jarriett Buie. The dismissal of Josh Julmiste will force Buie into a featured role. The Bulls are counting on this senior to team up with George Selvie to provide a pair of pass-rushing threats.

Shoes to fill: All the linebackers but Moffitt. South Florida must replace Stephen Nicholas and Pat St. Louis, who combined for 184 tackles last season. The arrival of Iowa State transfer Tyrone McKenzie should help in that regard.

Impact newcomer: McKenzie. After ranking eighth in the nation with 10.8 tackles per game last year, this former Iowa State star was granted a hardship waiver that allowed him to transfer to South Florida without sitting out a season. He should immediately fill the void created by Stephen Nicholas' departure.

Position battle: Linebacker: Moffitt is certainly starting in the middle and McKenzie will likely fill another starting role, but who will earn the third spot remains to be seen. Candidates include junior college transfer Donte Spires, junior Brouce Mompremier and sophomore Chris Robinson.

Grade the units:
DL: B. Selvie's huge performance against West Virginia last year showed he has the potential to become a big-time pass rusher.
LB: A. Moffitt and McKenzie give the Bulls two guys who recorded at least 112 tackles last year.
DB: A-minus. South Florida has one of the nation's better cornerback tandems in Jenkins and Williams.

Breaking down the special teams

Overview: South Florida had one of the game's top special-teams performers last year in Ean Randolph, who ranked fourth in the nation in punt return average and also helped out on kickoff returns. His departure could have serious field-position ramifications. South Florida would love to shore up a field-goal unit that struggled with consistency throughout last season.

Season outlook with bowl forecast
The good news is that South Florida returns the nucleus of a team that closed the 2006 season with plenty of momentum. The bad news is that these players won't have much time to adjust to a revamped coaching staff. USF faces Auburn, North Carolina and West Virginia in the first four games of the season. South Florida might not be quite ready to challenge the Louisville-West Virginia-Rutgers triumvirate for Big East supremacy, but there's no reason why South Florida can't go 9-4 again with a postseason appearance in the Texas Bowl or Meineke Car Care Bowl.
Best player: P Justin Teachey. This junior punter also will handle the Bulls' kickoff duties this fall.

Grade the units:
K: C. Sophomore Delbert Alvarado and junior Mike Benzer shared the job last year and went a combined 7-for-15 on field-goal attempts.
P: B. Teachey only averaged 38.2 yards per punt last year, but he showed his ability to deliver in big games by improving that average to 44 yards per attempt against West Virginia.
KR: C-plus. Taurus Johnson was the Bulls' main kickoff returner last year and averaged 22.6 yards per attempt.
PR: C. The Bulls can only hope they can find someone who was half as productive in this area as Randolph was last year.

Breaking down the coaching

Overview: Jim Leavitt remains the only head coach the South Florida program has known, but he had to do more shuffling than usual with the rest of his staff. The Bulls are operating with a new offensive coordinator, receivers coach, offensive line coach, tight ends coach and defensive line coach.

Grade the coaches:
Head coach: A-minus. South Florida fans should count their blessings that Leavitt hasn't left for a more established program.
Offense: C. The Bulls made so many changes in their offensive coaching staff that it's almost impossible to grade them. Since Cs are generally given out for average units, we'll go with that until they can prove they deserve something better or worse.
Defense: A-minus. Burnham deserves a grade at least this good for being the only guy in the nation who has figured out how to slow down West Virginia's potent offense.

Special teams: C. The Bulls still need to find someone who can provide consistency in their kicking game.
hmmm i think we're actually starting to get some respect....
 06-28-2007, 03:45 PM         #49
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Florida isn't big enough for four teams damn it . Although could you imagine a state having 4 football teams that have won national titles? That would be amazing. Good luck, I can't wait for the Miami vs USF sh*t to happen.
 06-28-2007, 03:55 PM         #50
Darkside Ty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Florida IS big enough..The only problem is keeping the out of state schools out of the backyard.
 10 years ago '05        #51
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 RakimAllahNY said:
Florida isn't big enough for four teams damn it . Although could you imagine a state having 4 football teams that have won national titles? That would be amazing. Good luck, I can't wait for the Miami vs USF sh*t to happen.
Werd, and like Darkside Ty said, Florida really is big enough, there's a.ssloads of talent to go around, and I think the more we come up, the more it'll keep the Florida talent in state. Especially if we manage to start getting some games against FSU, and get a few more matchups with UF scheduled (we already have 2 games with them in the future). But the series I can't wait for is the 5 year stretch against Miami. Thanksgiving weekend will belong to the state of Florida for those 3 years they play then :applause:
 10 years ago '05        #52
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 UknowWhatItIs said:
one of the websites (maybe fox sports) had a guy that was asked what program he could see being a powerhouse in about 6-7 years and he chose USF cuz of the recruiting base, jim leavitt and being in tampa

that would be sick to have 4 teams from FLA in the top 20 year in year out

at some of the auburn fans acting as if the USF game is like playing vandy....

that game scares me the more I think about it and tuberville always loses a game or 2 a year where the other team is good but not as good as AU (last year Ark. and UGA; year before Ga Tech, Wisc)
This is the game I'm looking forward to the most this season. This is our chance to make a statement to the nation. And if we managed to win, I think it would curb some of the Big Least talk some more, because there are still a lot of doubters out there.
 10 years ago '04        #53
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
i wasnt a big east believer til last year when yall all beat the sh*t out each other

WV, USF ,LOU, RU gon be problem for a while
 10 years ago '06        #54
Against D Grain 
space
space
$6,356 | Props total: 346 346
I believe USF is getting Jamar Taylor from Lakeland. He comitted to Bama but has family issues back home and needs to be closer to home. But if this is true you guys are getting a nice lil running back. Taylor put up decent numbers in Alabama's spring game, and people were actually talking like he would see alot of PT this year as a freshman.. You guys already have Mike Ford another Former Bama Commit, You guys should have a nice lil RB combo for these up coming years....
 10 years ago '05        #55
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 Against D Grain said:
I believe USF is getting Jamar Taylor from Lakeland. He comitted to Bama but has family issues back home and needs to be closer to home. But if this is true you guys are getting a nice lil running back. Taylor put up decent numbers in Alabama's spring game, and people were actually talking like he would see alot of PT this year as a freshman.. You guys already have Mike Ford another Former Bama Commit, You guys should have a nice lil RB combo for these up coming years....
Yep yep, they're not sure yet if he'll be able to get a hardship waiver, or otherwise sit out this season, but he'll be here one way or another it looks like. After being so fu*kin scarce last year it looks like we're stocking up pretty damn well on runningback talent
 10 years ago '05        #56
BoSox84  OP
space
space
43 days....

:applause:
 10 years ago '05        #57
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Lake Gibson Duo Commits to USF
By Larry R. Weisbaum
USFNation.com
Posted Jul 20, 2007

The Bulls keep the recruiting momentum going as they picked up their 5th and 6th commitments for ’07 from offensive lineman Josh Garvin and DE James Jones, both of Lake Gibson High School in Lakeland Florida. Read on for all the details. Stay informed only on USFNation.com

The Bulls keep the recruiting momentum going as they picked up their 5th and 6th commitments for ’07 from offensive lineman Josh Garvin and DE James Jones, both of Lake Gibson High School in Lakeland Florida.

“I just like the program. The whole coaching staff, every single one of the coaches I met were real nice guys and very genuine,” said Garvin. “It’s also close to home so my family can come see me, and I really think the program is on the rise personally. They’re going to be winning Big East Championships like crazy.”

Garvin and Jones are two names you should already be familiar with. The Staff of USFNation has mentioned Garvin numerous times in our Recruiting quick hits, and just earlier this week informed you on Jones.

Garvin, is athletic enough to play tackle, but is being recruited as a guard. Garvin is 6-foot-4, 275 pounds, is strong, athletic, and the staff really likes the way he moves.

“I called Coach Burnham & then called Coach Simmonds and told him I was ready to be a Bull. Coach Leavitt texted me and said congratulations and he was very excited about me going there.”

There was plenty of interest in Garvin from schools like Alabama, FSU, USF, Baylor, North Carolina, FIU, and Ball State.

“USF, Baylor, North Carolina, FIU, and Ball State all offered me but FSU and Alabama were showing a lot of interest and told me to wait it out, and that they were close to offering, but I didn’t feel like waiting, USF was the choice for me.”

Garvin said he’s very excited about becoming a Bull and the chance to play with USF star QB Matt Grothe formerly of Lake Gibson played a part in his decision.

“The chance to play with Matt Grothe was a huge deal, also I heard Roger Frazier might be going there, Claude Davis might be going there too.”

Garvin has been to the USF campus numerous times and said he’ll take an official visit some time but isn’t sure when.

“I know I’ll take an official visit to USF, but I don’t know when, and as of now I have no plans to visit anywhere else, and I don’t think I will. I’m just going to continue to work out and focus on the season.”

Garvin’s teammate on the other side of the ball James Jones also committed to the Bulls today.

“James and I didn’t say that we had to go to the same school, but we both really liked South Florida and what it has to offer. After the Sling and Shoot we had a good idea , but while working out today he looked at me and said “You know we want o, so lets just do it today.” I said okay and we did it.”

Garvin’s teammate is DE/FB James Jones is a 6’2, 232 pound prospect that was first noticed as a rising sophomore after registering 67 tackles and 6 sacks. He then really turned heads last year in Gainesville for the state football championships, and finished the ’06 season with 98 tackles, 12 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries.

“It’s all ready a good program and from what I hear there is a lot of top players that are going to be going there.” Said Jones, “I really like how the coaches are there and the players too. They made feel like it was home they were really cool to me and that was a big reason why.”

Jones was garnering plenty of interest from BCS schools, and has taken unofficial visits to Virginia Tech and Auburn and Miami.

He currently has offers from West Virginia, Indiana, Buffalo and FAMU among others and recently received an offer from the Bulls.

“We’ve been talking about where we were going to go and came to the conclusion today at practice and decided to do it. I just called Coach Burnham and gave him the word.”

We mentioned earlier in the week in Quick hits that Jones had an offer and was very high on the Bulls.

“I’ve been ready to commit for awhile and wanting to play for the Bulls for awhile but was waiting to make sure it was the right decision, and it was, I’m real excited to come there and play.”

Jones said he has been to USF a few times and liked everything that he saw. He also said that he will take his official visit when ever the coaches want him to but has no plans to visit any other schools.

“Oh no, I’m straight, I’m straight, I’m not going to worry about going to other schools for any visits. I’m very excited to be a Bull!”

Jones also competes in track and weightlifting and carries a 2.8 core GPA

Being a lineman, Jones didn’t participate at the Sling and Shoot and said he plans on being at the USF senior Showcase camp in two weeks and looks forward to the competing with the talent that will be there.

The duo also plays along side another lineman USF is recruiting, Ricky Barnum. If they could also sway the big man to join them as USF commits, it would be a huge get and start a pipeline from a school that has already given them a franchise quarterback
:applause:
 10 years ago '05        #58
BoSox84  OP
space
space

:wow:
 10 years ago '05        #59
booker20 
space
space
 BoSox84 said:

:wow:
hes gonna be a great college qb.... with Ford and Taylor in the backfield now....
if taylor gets that hardship wavier....
 08-01-2007, 10:50 PM         #60
feardafoot 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hopefully Carolina will be better this year. Not lookin forward to playing yall again. Nice squad yall have.
Home      

most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
51 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
31 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
209 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
84 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
82 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
139 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fake Ashanti Look WAAY BADDER Than The Real Ashanti
34 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
190 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy