The Official 2007-2008 USF Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
56 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
72 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
31 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
75 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #401
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
OFFENSE

THE SCHEME: The Bulls use a spread attack, and this season's offense – like last season's – will revolve around junior quarterback Matt Grothe.

Quarterback Matt Grothe returns to lead the USF offense.
STAR POWER: Grothe lacks ideal size – he's listed at 6-0, with the emphasis on listed – but he generally comes through. He is a good scrambler and seems to have an innate sense as to the last possible instant he can get rid of the ball. He has a nice arm as well, though he needs to understand he can't always fit the ball into a tight spot. He has thrown 29 TD passes in the past two seasons, but he also has thrown 28 picks. He has rushed for 1,494 yards and 19 TDs in the past two seasons, and is the Bulls' leading returning rusher. If he gets hurt, USF is in trouble.

IMPACT NEWCOMER: No true or redshirt freshman is expected to start. Unless there's an injury, it's unlikely any newcomer will play valuable minutes.

IT'S HIS TIME: He's only a sophomore, but tailback Mike Ford still needs to live up to the high school hype. He was a mega-recruit as a high school senior out of Sarasota (Fla.) High and signed with Alabama in 2005. He didn't make the grade, and after two years of prep school he signed with USF last season. He ran for 12 touchdowns but too often played second-fiddle to 5-7 Benjamin Williams, who began his career as a walk-on. Ford did play better late in the season, but he still lacked the burst that separates stars from journeymen. For USF to be as good as it can be, Ford needs to be a 1,000-yard guy.

STRONGEST AREA: The line returns four starters, and three of those are seniors – center Jake Griffin, left guard Ryan Schmidt and left tackle Marc Dile. Each of that trio has all-league potential, with Schmidt probably the best of the bunch. The other returning starter is sophomore right guard Zach Hermann, and the one new starter is sophomore right tackle Jacob Sims. But depth is a big issue here, because no backup is proven.

WEAKEST AREA: There isn't a glaring weakness on the offense. We've talked about the running game, so we'll go with the wide receivers. It's a solid group, but no one truly stands out. Seniors Marcus Edwards and Taurus Johnson are expected to start, but neither is going to strike fear in opposing secondaries. Sophomores Carlton Mitchell and Dontavia Bogan are guys to keep an eye on. Mitchell has great size (6-4/210) and has 50-catch potential, while Bogan could end up being the Bulls' best deep threat. Again, the receivers really aren't a weakness – just a group that needs to play better.

OVERVIEW: Grothe is fun to watch and makes this offense go. But too often last season, he was the only playmaker. That has to change. There's no reason the passing attack can't move from a national top-60 unit to one that ranks in the top 40. In that regard, it's incumbent that Grothe cut down on his interceptions. USF also needs Ford – or someone else – to emerge as a star at tailback. Grothe was the leading ground-gainer last season, and coordinator Greg Gregory doesn't want that to happen again. The Bulls also need someone to emerge as a legit go-to receiver.

That's the number of turnovers USF committed in its four losses last season. The Bulls committed 17 turnovers in their nine wins. Overall, USF had a plus-9 turnover margin.
GRADE: B.

DEFENSE

THE SCHEME: The Bulls use a 4-3 set and have good speed all over the unit. Coordinator Wally Burnham likes his guys to be aggressive, though it will be interesting to see if he dials it back some this season because he has two new starting corners.

STAR POWER: Meet junior end George Selvie, who emerged from nowhere last season to earn All-America honors. Selvie, a cat-quick 242-pounder who was a high school center (seriously – he was a center!), had 31.5 tackles for loss and 14.5 sacks. He sometimes can be overpowered by bigger tackles on running plays, but so what? The guy is an extraordinary pass-rusher even though he's still learning some of the nuances of the position. Every quarterback who plays against USF this season will make it a priority to watch out for Selvie.

IMPACT NEWCOMER: For the most part, this is an experienced unit. Backup end David Bedford, a junior college transfer who has three seasons of eligibility, is someone to watch. He comes highly touted after compiling 13.5 sacks last season for Independence (Kan.) Community College. Bedford is expected to back up senior Jarriett Buie at the end spot opposite Selvie. Also watch for backup cornerbacks Tyson Butler and Quenton Washington. Both redshirt freshmen are from Fort Myers, Fla., about two hours south of the USF campus. They could see more time than expected if the two new starters at corner struggle.

George Selvie ranks as one of college football's best defensive ends.
IT'S HIS TIME: Senior cornerback Tyller Roberts has waited patiently and now gets to start. USF lost starting corners Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, who were perhaps the best cornerback duo in the nation last season. Roberts has excellent size (6-1/185), comes from an excellent high school program (Orlando Edgewater) and has played well when he has been on the field. But he'll see a lot more action this season than he has in the past. Roberts and junior Jerome Murphy have big shoes to fill.

STRONGEST AREA: While the Bulls are breaking in two new corners, at least there's a nice safety duo. Free safety Nate Allen started last season because Danny Verpaele was ineligible. Well, Verpaele is back, but Allen is keeping the starting job after starring as a sophomore last season. Allen has good speed and is equally aplomb against the run and the pass. Senior strong safety Carlton Williams is huge (6-4/214) and a big-time hitter in run support. Depth is excellent with Verpaele and Louis Gachette.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: Jenkins and Trae Williams combined for 96 tackles, nine interceptions, 23 pass breakups and six tackles for loss last season. That's a ton of production to lose, but coaches are hopeful Roberts and Murphy – who has great speed – will make sure there isn't that much of a drop-off. In addition, keep an eye on the new nose tackle. Richard Clebert was disruptive in the middle last season but is gone. He'll be replaced by sophomore Terrell McClain, who wasn't that productive as a reserve last season.

OVERVIEW: Even with the new corners, expect Burnham to be as aggressive as possible because a veteran safety tandem is a nice last line of defense. There is good speed in the front seven and the Bulls can be expected to get after the opposing quarterback. Selvie is hard to handle and his presence gives teammates opportunities to make plays when opponents key on him. USF lost star middle linebacker Ben Moffit, and Tyrone McKenzie has moved from the strongside to the middle. McKenzie has better physical tools than Moffit, but Moffitt always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Regardless, USF will put three speedy 'backers on the field. Junior college transfer Kion Wilson is expected to see a lot of time at linebacker. USF lost four key players off the defense, but, really, the drop-off won't be noticeable as long as Selvie, McKenzie and Allen play up to their capabilities.

GRADE: A.
ranked the Defense an A :wow: didnt expect that at all
 9 years ago '05        #402
BoSox84  OP
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
Well, I think the linebackers could be even better than last year with T-Mac moving to the middle and getting Robinson back on the field. If the corners hold their own, the D could be better than last year
 9 years ago '05        #403
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$54,083 | Props total: 6981 6981

Rivals Profile

Jacksonville (FL) Robert E. Lee High School

Ht; 5-foot-10
Wt: 180 lbs
Forty: 4.6 secs
Class: 2009 (High School)

Committed to South Florida at camp. No story yet.
 9 years ago '05        #404
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Just got done watching last season's WVU game Can't wait for August 30th
 9 years ago '06        #405
Against D Grain 
space
space
$6,357 | Props total: 346 346
Yall need to go head and take Rodney Scott away from Auburn, so we can laugh
 9 years ago '05        #406
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Working on it my dude, workin on it
 9 years ago '05        #407
booker20 
space
space
apparently George Baker was late for a meeting today and blow up on Leavitt... he cussed him out and walked out after throwin his paperwork every where... dude got an attitude problem and i doubt leavitt is gonna have that sh*t...
 9 years ago '05        #408
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 booker20 said:
apparently George Baker was late for a meeting today and blow up on Leavitt... he cussed him out and walked out after throwin his paperwork every where... dude got an attitude problem and i doubt leavitt is gonna have that sh*t...
That's a shame cuz I read something the other day where the coaches' were saying this dude's got a lot of talent. I don't remember if it was Douglas or someone else, but they said dude would probably need to redshirt this year, but when he gets his chance, he'll definitely shine.
 9 years ago '05        #409
booker20 
space
space
 BoSox84 said:
That's a shame cuz I read something the other day where the coaches' were saying this dude's got a lot of talent. I don't remember if it was Douglas or someone else, but they said dude would probably need to redshirt this year, but when he gets his chance, he'll definitely shine.
he had a good day at practice after his mom made him to Leavitt apologize:slap::f!ghting11:
 9 years ago '05        #410
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 9 years ago '05        #411
booker20 
space
space

[pic - click to view]

the team is gonna be a lot better when B.J. is runnin the show...
 9 years ago '05        #412
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Watchin the replay of the Auburn game on ESPNU What a wild time that was. Good times :applause:

Can't fu*kin wait for football season. 19 days.....
 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM         #413
Niggy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BoSox84 said:
Watchin the replay of the Auburn game on ESPNU What a wild time that was. Good times :applause:

Can't fu*kin wait for football season. 19 days.....

Its nuts man, I know delbert makes the kick at the end but I still fu*king hate him for the entire game anyways....he needs to get his sh*t straight and he'll be on my good side until then:angry12:
 9 years ago '05        #414
BoSox84  OP
space
space
 Niggy said:
Its nuts man, I know delbert makes the kick at the end but I still fu*king hate him for the entire game anyways....he needs to get his sh*t straight and he'll be on my good side until then:angry12:
Well if he doesn't get his sh*t straight, he'll be replaced by a freshman, but I think they're looking at making him just punter as it is. And yeah, even knowing the outcome doesn't p!ss me off any less. I still remember not even being able to watch the last field goal attempt. I had my head buried in my hands, listening for the crowd reaction
 9 years ago '05        #415
booker20 
space
space
last few days in pads the starting defense was....

DE-Selvie
NT-Genus
DT-Harris
DE-Bedford
LB-T Mac
LB-Mompremier
LB-Spires
CB-Murphy
CB-Washington
S-Allen
S-Williams

word is they've been dominating the offense and look better than last year... thats hard to believe but if they are Big East title here we come even though WVU will be better this year since Slaton is gone plus it'll be freezing when we go there....
 9 years ago '05        #416
BoSox84  OP
space
space
God I can't fu*kin wait for August 30th, these next two weeks can't go by fast enough
 9 years ago '05        #417
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Less than 120 hours....
 9 years ago '05        #418
BoSox84  OP
space
space
GAMEDAY bi*chES!!!! :applause:
 9 years ago '05        #419
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Good solid start to the season. It was good to see the team come out and demolish UTM like they should have instead of letting them stay in it. And @ Pitt losing at home to Bowling Green. It also appears that Syracuse might be the worst football team in the country
 9 years ago '05        #420
booker20 
space
space
WVU defense gave up 21 points to Nova' coulda been more... Pitt is overrated as sh*t, Wannstedt might wanna update that resume cause he needs to be fired after this season... like i said in the off season Bogan is gonnna be a problem for teams this year if he starts catching the ball, Daniels>>>>>Gregory and the D played a pretty good game and shoulda got a shut out...
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
80 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
71 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
27 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
32 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
82 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
141 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
195 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy