The Official 2007-2008 USF Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
79 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
8 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
89 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #261
BoSox84  OP
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
Yesterday was the first time since he took over that I really questioned Matt Grothe as a quarterback. He made a lot of dumb decisions. On the bright side, Mike Jenkins showed why he's thought so highly of, and Dontavia Bogan played a pretty damn good game. And that last play was clearly pass interference, I had the game DVR'd and watched it when I got home, paused it when the ball was in the air, and the dude had Hester in a bear hug
 10 years ago '05        #262
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
 BoSox84 said:
Yesterday was the first time since he took over that I really questioned Matt Grothe as a quarterback. He made a lot of dumb decisions. On the bright side, Mike Jenkins showed why he's thought so highly of, and Dontavia Bogan played a pretty damn good game. And that last play was clearly pass interference, I had the game DVR'd and watched it when I got home, paused it when the ball was in the air, and the dude had Hester in a bear hug
til bogan got hurt and then sh*t was pretty much over... Mitchell is a burner but drops way too many balls...

It was there for everyone to see. At 6-0, the USF football team was far from perfect and not too far from mediocrity.

But the fall from grace has been quick and hard. From #2 BCS ranking to sharing the Big East cellar with Syracuse is a huge drop. Why didn't somebody provide a safety net to cushion this descent?

The Bulls spent 40 days in the USA/Today and AP polls as a member of the top 25. Now they are a feel good story turned painful, also gone from the BCS rankings.

USF is last in the Big East in red-zone offense (76%), first in fumbles lost (14) and second in interceptions (10). Does this explain part of the recent problems?

If its any consolation, the Bulls last two opponents, Connecticut and Cincinnati, are first and second respectively in redzone defense. Cincinnati also leads the conference with 21 interceptions and Connecticut is second with 19.

There is so much blame to go around. Quarterback Matt Grothe might be the easy target, but despite his critical interceptions the last two weeks it would be unfair to lay these three straight losses all at his feet.

Grothe does what he is asked to do and it is obvious he is asked too much. There is a lot of football talent in his body, but there are limitations, particularly with his arm. He can't launch a lazar throw that can squeeze a pass between defenders or drill one out to the sidelines without worry that a defender will take it back the other way.

Coaches have to help him instead of putting the offense on his back, hoping he will make things seem all-right.

It's time to make some changes in the offense. Head coach Jim Leavitt doesn't have to scrap the spread he has tried to make the cornerstone of his program, but needs to add some wrinkles. It would help to develop a running game that utilizes running backs.

The Bulls offense is all finesse. It doesn't pound defenses. It doesn't make them feel pain when a tackle is made. It doesn't wear out defenses the way a Ray Rice or Andre Dixon has done to USF.
Leavitt blames the lack of a run game on the blocking without addressing the scheme.
Several USF defensive players have questioned why USF rarely if ever runs from the I-formation.

Who has not heard people ask why Mike Ford at 6-2, 225 pounds, isn't utilized more. His 74 yards against Auburn is the second highest the Tigers have given up to a running back all season. He had 21 carries that game, which is the only time this season he had double digit rushing attempts.

Ford is big enough and strong enough to move piles, make defenders pay a price when they hit him and has good speed. With him in the game, defenses can't just solely concentrate on Grothe. Mix him in the right way with Jamar Taylor and Ben Williams and the Bulls should have a respectable run game.

Offensive coordinator Greg Gregory says the spread limits your options, particularly when a defense won't spread out with you.

"When the defense isn't necessarily willing to spread out with you, you have two choices," Gregory said. "You throw the ball or you run the quarterback because if you run the back they have an extra guy close in there so the running back has to block and the quarterback has to run."

Cincy leftovers:
Several Cincinnati players said the USF fumbles and blocked punt were not the result of luck, but by design. The Bearcats' Connor Barwin, who blocked Delbert Alvarado's punt, said his team had everything meticulously planned.

"We waited until they started their count and just rolled into it at perfect timing," Barwin said.. "Then all four of us got free on the big free shields and they just weren't ready for us. It opened up right when we thought it would."

Cincinnati safety Haruki Nakamura, who stripped the ball from A.J. Love and Grothe, has three forced fumbles for the Bearcats, who rank sixth in the country with 13 fumble recoveries.

"I just ripped the ball out of the receiver's hands (Love). I got the ball and was f!ghting. I was just trying to rip the ball and secure the tackle," Nakamura said. "The other one (Grothe) I was pursuing the ball and got a good hold of Grothe and just ripped the ball out of his hands."

Marcus Edwards has struggled as the punt returner with more than a few drops. He often doesn't judge the ball properly. In his fumble against Cincinnati, the ball hit him in the upper part of the left side of chest. He also doesn't pose much of a return threat back there and ranks 67th in the country, averaging 7.48 yards per return.

"I got down the field free and watched, and it came right to me. It was a lucky play for me. I was in the right place at the right time," said Barwin, who recovered Edwards fumble.

Mike Jenkins, who returned a kickoff 100 yards for a TD in his first career return opportunity , returned punts in high school and might be a viable option. He said he hasn't been asked to do that job.

The blocked punt was the third of the year for Cincinnati. Mike Mickens interception TD return was his fifth of the season, which ties him for the Big East lead. It was his second interception return for a touchdown this season.

Barwin said the trick receiver pass that set up Cincinnati's final touchdown and proved to be the difference in the final score was part of the game plan.

"We knew that if we wanted to win the Big East we had to win this game so we came prepared with whatever we had to do to win," he said.

Big plays, trick plays, you can't eliminate those and argue the Bulls should've won. A bigger question is what has happened with the trick plays the Bulls used under former offensive coordinator Rod Smith.
Gregory is garbage...
 10 years ago '05        #263
booker20 
space
space
17 commits already :wow: last time i looked it was 13
 10 years ago '05        #264
BoSox84  OP
space
space
I think it's 18 now with that Landi kid that just committed. At least, that's what I read somewhere else
 10 years ago '05        #265
BoSox84  OP
space
space
All I know is that kid Keon (Kion?) Wilson from PRCC is gonna be a beast
 10 years ago '05        #266
booker20 
space
space
 BoSox84 said:
All I know is that kid Keon (Kion?) Wilson from PRCC is gonna be a beast
yea its Kion... he will be... is Claude Davis coming back from there?
 10 years ago '05        #267
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Word is that he is still big on USF, not sure when he's supposed to come back though
 10 years ago '05        #268
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Looks like we finally got our god damn swagger back
 10 years ago '05        #269
booker20 
space
space
this is what happens when u give them a steady dose for Ford... dude is a beast
 10 years ago '05        #270
BoSox84  OP
space
space
I love how he just refuses to go down. Even plays that have been blown up in the backfield, he's still at least getting back to the LOS. And the two runs before the touchdown were just fu*kin tough runs
 10 years ago '05        #271
booker20 
space
space
nice to have TJ back... If we had him and Ford at 100% for the last 2 weeks we would have had 2 wins
 10 years ago '05        #272
BoSox84  OP
space
space
This was just a good game for USF. Despite the stupid penalties in the first half, they played pretty well. Especially in the second half just pounding the rock and k!lling time. Set a school record for total yards on offense. Almost had 3 guys run for 100 yards (Ford had 134, Samuels had 101, and Grothe finished with 74). Carlton Mitchell continues to improve as a wide receiver. He's quickly becoming more than just a track star. And it was good to see TJ playing well.
 10 years ago '05        #273
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Louisville's catchin a beatdown on Saturday night
 10 years ago '05        #274
booker20 
space
space
I hope so starting to get players back and they givin Ford the ball finally... somebody must have threaten Gregory's life...
 10 years ago '05        #275
BoSox84  OP
space
space
If Mike gets 29 carries at home against Louisville's garbage defense, it's a wrap. He could go for 200
 10 years ago '05        #276
BoSox84  OP
space
space

@ f*gthorpe having those f*g**ts calling timeouts with 12 seconds left.
 10 years ago '05        #277
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Watching the broadcast on DVR. Louisville's previous 5 losses had been by a combined 29 points. We beat them motherfu*kers by 38
 10 years ago '05        #278
booker20 
space
space
yea that sh*t was str8 r*pe... Mike and Trae made brohm look like a high school freshman... Im liking this give ford 20+ carries offense... it works alot better... hes gonna break all the rushing records befores hes done... next year after working out for a whole year and getting in shape, gaining muscle hes gonna be one of the top rbs in the nation... :wow:

Last edited by booker20; 11-18-2007 at 09:10 AM..
 10 years ago '05        #279
BoSox84  OP
space
space
Fagthorpe is even more of a bi*ch for disrespecting our senior night ceremonies the way they did. @ their mascot running down the line of parents taunting
 10 years ago '05        #280
booker20 
space
space
WR Carlton Mitchell broke two USF freshman records on his 30-yard TD reception in the second half. He broke the USF freshman receiving yards on the play improving his season total to 497 on the play. The previous record was 469 by Johnny Peyton in 2004. The TD was his fourth of the season, which is a new USF record for freshman. Mitchell finished the game with 54 yards receiving and has 505 yards on the season, which is the seventh best total in USF history.
Rushing yards freshman RB Mike Ford accounted for USF's opening offensive drive. The 72 yards came on rushes of 43, 23 and 6. The 43-yard run was his second longest of the season. He had a 48-yard rush against Elon in the season opener. Ford finished the drive by scoring from six yards out. It was the ninth rushing TD of the season for Ford, who started at RB for the second consecutive game and the third time this season. Ford's fourth quarter touchdown gave him 10 for the year, which moves him into third on the school's single-season touchdown list behind Andre Hall who had 13 in 2005 and 11 in 2004. He has established a freshman TD scoring record this season with his 10 scores. Ford finished the game with 140 yards rushing and became the first freshman in USF history to rush for 100 yards in back-to-back games. He rushed for 134 at Syracuse last week.
the next 4 years are gonna be fun to watch....
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
138 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
49 comments
1 day ago