Apr 28 - It"s A Hard Knock Life:Damon Dash Empires Crumbling After The Roc

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
101 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
69 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
83 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
114 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Do You Think

Props Slaps
 04-28-2007, 12:47 PM         #1
5838 pageviews
73 comments

DINER0 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Apr 28 - It"s A Hard Knock Life:Damon Dash Empires Crumbling After The Roc

April 26, 2007 -- Would-be mogul Damon Dash is struggling to remake his business empire a year and a half after splitting with former Rocawear partner Jay-Z.

An analysis of Dash's various holdings, which range from fashion to entertainment, turns up more misses than hits.

Dash's CEO clothing line has yet to take off, reality TV show "Ultimate Hustler" aired for one season and bombed in the ratings, and his foray into Hollywood with the movies "State Property" and "The Woodsman" has not produced box office hits, though DVD sales have fared better.

Meanwhile, Dash has pulled the plug on his State Property sportswear line and fledgling record label Damon Dash Music Group, according to spokeswoman Amanda Silverman. "Music is not where the money is," she said.

While a line of designer clothing by wife Rachel Roy has garnered critical acclaim, and a higher profile after Roy appeared on "Oprah," it has yet to turn a profit.

Dash's biggest win so far has been Pro-Keds, a sneaker brand he licensed from Stride Rite in 2004 and which, according to industry estimates, has more than doubled sales in the past year to exceed $22 million.

"It's not that easy to hit a home run every time," said Izzy Ezrailson, a friend of Dash's, who operates a chain of specialty stores.

For someone who has prided himself on a lavish lifestyle that includes private jets and personal chefs, Dash's return to the "trenches," as one a.ssociate put it, is a dressing down of sorts.

Not that Dash is in the poor house - owning homes in New York and Los Angeles - but he is "flying first class these days, not by private plane," one friend said.

Even such a small degree of belt tightening as flying commercial must grate on Dash given the continued success of former partner Jay-Z, who recently sold the Rocawear clothing company to the Iconix Brand Group for $204 million and remains president of the successful Def Jam Recordings.

Nevertheless, those who know Dash say they are not counting him out. "I think he'll come back strong," said Billy Rudnick, of the Dr. Jay's retail chain, which is considering buying the CEO line, but waiting for Dash to make some adjustments, such as shrinking the logos "so they are not so in your face." Other retailers also said they are holding off on carrying the line to see how it evolves.

Marianne Tessler, whose resume includes stints at Nike and Givenchy, and who now oversees the apparel ventures as president of Damon Dash Enterprises, insists that all is going according to plan.

"When you launch, you have to adapt, but there are no disappointments," she said.

Tessler added that even though the CEO line is not expected to make money until the end of next year, Rachel Roy's collection should be profitable before then, and the Pro-Keds business is expected to continue growing with the addition of apparel this fall.

Dash, who once said his goal was to amass $1 billion, still has a way to go.

sohh:
Not a good look for the kid from Harlem. Will he recover? Rudnick says "I think he'll come back strong." But contrary to this statement, retailers are reluctant in carrying the CEO brand, and prefer to wait and see how well its launch--originally scheduled for this spring-- will perform. Not a good look

The Roc Crumbling:

[pic - click to view]

http://www.nypost.com/sev .. tos/biz052.jpg

[pic - click to view]

73 comments for "Apr 28 - It"s A Hard Knock Life:Damon Dash Empires Crumbling After The Roc"

04-28-2007, 12:50 PM         #2
shonuff12  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i've said it before...i'll say it again...Dame lost
 11 years ago '07        #3
JoeDoe22 50 heat pts50
space
space
$4,116 | Props total: 230 230
I think the ROC would still be poppin if he aint let them DipClowns fu*k up his business relations...Anyway its all moot cause the n*gga still richer than anyone I know.
 11 years ago '05        #4
Poloi3eai2 
space
space
space
$2,985 | Props total: 1 1
Dame Dash is mad annoying. He's far from humble. I bet that kid that won The Ultimate Hustler doesn't even work with Dame anymore. All he does is brag about he's a CEO a hustler but hasn't done sh*t since Jay severed ties with him.
 11 years ago '04        #5
knowughetto 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,430 | Props total: 11 11
Dame should've held out on them shares with RocAwear........I bet Jay low-balled him and Biggs.......gave em both 40 mil then sold it for 200+ mil......I guess Jay was the ultimate hustler
 11 years ago '04        #6
Rileyboy03 
space
space
$1,243 | Props total: 1 1
it was jay-z the jealousy one who couldn't see people prosper..don't blame the dips for having loyalty and style. show me what you got pretty lady..lol
 11 years ago '04        #7
Javon23 265 heat pts265
space
space
$46,341 | Props total: 8417 8417
in the end both lost
jay and dame lost
 11 years ago '06        #8
StreetZ17 13 heat pts13
space
space
$6,783 | Props total: 469 469
What happened to his big record label Dame Dash Music Group? That suppose to outdo Roc-A-Fella?
 11 years ago '05        #9
chrismb 580 heat pts580
space
space
$19,269 | Props total: 33465 33465
 Javon23 said:
in the end both lost
jay and dame lost
how did jay lose? hes making even more money now and as you see...dame is losing more
 11 years ago '04        #10
BigJay.inc 67 heat pts67
space
space
$8,727 | Props total: 20212 20212
dont ever count out the underdog.....EVER......

when people see him losing its not like he's not generating business, its just not at the magnitude of a Jay-Z but he's still good....he's not in the poor house at all....everybody has their time at the top and also at the bottom....these are the trying times for Dame and i think he will come out victorious.....all he really needs is for ONE movie to pop off properly and you all will see how things turn around.....
 04-28-2007, 02:49 PM         #11
ADrake22  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Javon23 said:
in the end both lost
jay and dame lost
dame = $22 mil from Pro Keds
jay = $204 mil from Roc-a-wear...

...now who lost????
 04-28-2007, 02:49 PM         #12
luda06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Javon likes saying off the wall sh*t with no reasoning.
 04-28-2007, 02:51 PM         #13
Blackronin357  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The big Homie won financially, but personally he lost his best friend to the game and now seeing him fall from grace is like damn, I wanna help, but you fu*ked up the relationship son! Plus the dips didn't do that Dame did that to him self, the dips was doin them and Dame followed them instead of his long-time friend!
 04-28-2007, 02:59 PM         #14
luda06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^ Right. Dame did this to himself.
 04-28-2007, 03:03 PM         #15
meetalisher  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
money makes money still
 04-28-2007, 03:21 PM         #16
KINGB4EVER'06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
man I wish I could gross $22 mil of some shoes and still be called a loser hahahahaha
 04-28-2007, 03:30 PM         #17
Kidd Vicious  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Stupid n*ggas... IT AINT ABOUT MONEY!!! Its about MUSIC!! and when it comes to music.. THE ROC IS OVER TOO!! Besides Jay(Seriously...how many albums u think he got left in him?) n Kanye.. Whos gonna bring tha ROC back? It went from the strongest team to these 2 n*ggas.. dont get it twisted, i been a ROC fan since elementary. but tha roc is basically ova too.
 11 years ago '05        #18
thaillest719 
space
space
$2,308 | Props total: 49 49
Yea Dame did this to himself. He underminded Jay by appointing Cam to the VP spot while Jay was gone.

So looks like Dame lost one.
 11 years ago '04        #19
Natedizzy 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,338 | Props total: 19 19
Y'all are fu*king fools...throwing numbers around and don't understand how business works...

do you really think jay pocketed $204 million? you ever hear of taxes? did you know there are partners in rocawear? etc...
 11 years ago '05        #20
chrismb 580 heat pts580
space
space
$19,269 | Props total: 33465 33465
 thaillest719 said:
Yea Dame did this to himself. He underminded Jay by appointing Cam to the VP spot while Jay was gone.

So looks like Dame lost one.
you lost one one one one one
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
46 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
20 comments
1 day ago