Apr 28 - Fat Joe Doesn't Write ANY Of His Material?

most viewed right now
Video inside Tay K has signed a record deal with 88 Classic Records worth millions.
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
69 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 04-28-2007, 12:36 PM         #1
8823 pageviews
93 comments

DINER0 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Apr 28 - Fat Joe Doesn't Write ANY Of His Material?

On February 15, 2007 a lawsuit was filed in Norfolk, VA at the Eastern District of Virginia Federal Court by VA rapper Face Dirty a.k.a. Christopher Chapman and his attorney Duncan Byers. After allowing ample time for Universal and Fat Joe to respond to the allegations, Chapman and his attorney decided enough was enough.

Chapman is suing Universal/Motown Records for “gross, wrongful, and willful access" through [former] A&R Antwon Barnes and copyright infringement in regards to the label and Fat Joe/Terror Squad.

“Universal/Motown Records can not hide behind their representative. These record labels know the reputation of these A&Rs before they hire them,” Byers said.

The question of winning or losing this case rests on the ability to prove access to Chapman’s material and the copying of the material. Byers admitted he was told directly by industry execs that Fat Joe doesn’t write any of his own material, it is handed to him. “He is the face man.” Chapman and Byers have physical proof of access so they only need show “common elements” of the two versions.

“Once you strip away certain structural elements used in rap music such as the rhythm and beats the core element is the same.” In this case the core element being the intent behind “Lean Back”, not only the expression lean back, but the dance as well.

The complaint seeks back royalties and future royalties from the song “Lean Back,” punitive damages, court costs, attorney fees, and all rights to “Lean Back.” Under federal statute, the attorney fees are recoverable on the basis of the copyright suit itself.

Universal/Motown Records and Fat Joe/Terror Squad are being subpoenaed by the U.S. Marshals, but a few “procedural” issues are being addressed.

The VA court in which the suit has been filed is known for having “Rocket Dockets,” meaning they process civil cases faster than any other courts in VA and they don’t grant motions. The case is a.ssigned to Judge Jerome B. Friedman, but is not a.ssigned a court date as of yet. Generally, it takes anywhere from six to eight months from the date a suit is filed to grant a court date. Chapman is looking at a timeline between August and October of this year if there is no settlement made before the court date.

“If they’re dumb enough to do me the good service of going to court, damn right I’m going to win,” Chapman says.

At this point Universal and Fat Joe have very few options. A couple of options are to settle out of court to avoid a trial or to battle this out in court that would turn into a media circus.

According to Byers, “I don’t think Chris is even willing to settle at this point. He has been dragged through the mud and tossed to the side by these industry executives.”
If this goes to court than all parties tied to the production and creative control of “Lean Back” will have to appear in court. Just to give an idea of the people that would have to appear in court- Fat Joe, Scott Storch, Remy, Lil Jon, and Eminem to name a few. The courtroom would turn into a star-studded event.

To recap; in 2005 a story broke regarding VA rapper, Christopher Chapman a.k.a. Face Dirty, alleging that Fat Joe stole “Lean Back.” At the time Universal along with Fat Joe’s camp denied all allegations and basically dismissed the claims.

To give a little more background to the story, Chapman became acquainted with Antwon Barnes after he was given Barnes’ telephone number by a VA music manager with ties to Universal/Motown A&Rs.

Chapman and Barnes conversed on the phone over a period of roughly four months during which time Barnes solicited and showed interest in Chapman’s music. Barnes began to dodge Chapman's calls and eventually told Chapman that Universal was no longer interested in him as an artist and to “rethink 'Lean Back’” because Fat Joe was coming out with a “summer banga” with the same name. Universal confirms receiving a package from Chapman, but denies that Barnes’ opened it. Ironically, it turned up that they did not have a submission from him.

“They’re pulling the White House, ‘We lost the emails' defense,” states Byers. “I don’t believe in that many coincidences.”

A couple of months later, “Lean Back” is a hit and Fat Joe reaps all the benefits. Chapman began to play the game of cat and mouse with the label, Barnes, and Fat Joe. Chapman was tired of the games, hired an attorney and so the drama began.

After more then two years Face Dirty is frustrated with the process. He claims that he has missed out on deals with Columbia Records, TVT, and Warner Bros. By signing with another label he would have to dismiss the whole “Lean Back” case and according to him, “it’s about principles.” Chapman also said, “Don Cartagena ain’t real; he ain’t gangsta.”

The question remains, did it really “take a down south brotha to bring ya boy back?”

Very few cases have dealt with rap music and copyright infringement to this exact. If Chapman were to win it would a new legal precedent.

“It is no doubt in my mind that the jury will do the right thing. It’s so common that it is painful for young starving artist to have their material stolen because these major labels can get away with it. Sorry to say, but it’s time for these music industry execs to face the music.”

Hopefully it will not take another two years to find out.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.hiphopdx.com/i .. s-material/p.2

[pic - click to view]

93 comments for "Apr 28 - Fat Joe Doesn't Write ANY Of His Material?"

11 years ago '05        #2
bobbysteels18 663 heat pts663
space
space
space
$7,602 | Props total: 2509 2509
Good who ever writes his lyrcis needs to het fired he always raps about the same old sh*t.
 11 years ago '06        #3
LBThrizzy 11 heat pts11
space
space
$13,335 | Props total: 963 963
wow wtf
 11 years ago '05        #4
LVuittonDon4EVA 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,611 | Props total: 441 441
why Em gotta go...is it cuz he was on the remix??
 04-28-2007, 05:04 PM         #5
havana  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I don't believe it...I know for fact that Joe is GANGSTA...just ask someone who knows him from the hood.
 11 years ago '07        #6
DA_NC_BOI 
space
space
$612 | Props total: 358 358
damn he aint dat good of a rapper anyway dat n*gga aint did nuttin since lean back and dat was just a club song lol
 11 years ago '06        #7
thekidd 48 heat pts48
space
space
space
$1,190 | Props total: 911 911
^^^ that dont mean he can rap
 11 years ago '05        #8
Super-C 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,437 | Props total: 1 1
his old sh*t was on point, Diamond D used to lace him.....too bad he became famous and sh*t on the whole DITC/Wildlife fam
 11 years ago '04        #9
koolg 
space
space
$469 | Props total: 0 0
Boom bip, BAM, here I am
Even fans in Japan, be tellin me I'm the man
Fat Joe, a.k.a. the woman fu*ker
Beat you down to the ground, stomp your face with my Chucker
So n*ggaz back up, yo I'ma set it
fu*kin with me, you won't live to regret it
I don't fake moves, I break peeps
I'm takin n*ggaz gold chains, they cash and the Jeeps
See I don't give a fu*k about a n*ggaz rep
We can go glock for glock or tec for tec, sheeeeyit
I heard a motherfu*ker wants to turn snitch
I cut the n*ggaz head off, and sent it to his fu*kin bi*ch
I ain't lettin a n*gga take the stand
Play Sammy the Bull, be one dead man
See suckers can't hang with the slang
And if they bring the whole gang
well then they'll all catch a bang-bang
I come from the Bronx and not the Boogie Down
n*ggaz don't ever come and front in my part of town
See everybody knows my pedigree
There ain't another motherfu*kers that's better than me
I could make em pump, I could make em jump
But I'm mostly known for givin other n*ggaz lumps
So n*ggaz better chill and maintain
I'm blowin motherfu*kers out the frame
And if a n*gga try to flex
fu*k around, and catch a motherfu*kin suplex
I wet a motherfu*ker like a shower
Don't test the Puerto Rican power
Fat Joe in the year of ninety-three
Peace to Grand Pu', and my man Diamond D
So _Punks Jump Up to Get Beat Down_
Yeah, but for now watch the sound

^^back in the days heat
 11 years ago '05        #10
wr8201 
space
space
$5,894 | Props total: 4 4
its always been rumors he didnt write his material

cuban linx said armageddon wrote one album and big pun wrote one too
 11 years ago '04        #11
#1nasfan 
space
space
$11,851 | Props total: 5195 5195
Ive actually seen him writn sh*t before
 11 years ago '06        #12
Drumatic50 16 heat pts16
space
space
$5,685 | Props total: 927 927
 havana said:
I don't believe it...I know for fact that Joe is GANGSTA...just ask someone who knows him from the hood.

fAT JOE IS A BTCH, man he never wrote anything, even on his Don Cartegena album. Prospect on that album wrote his stuff, and a few others. My cousin went to his high school and he knew joe and he even said joe was a punk. Now he rolls around wit mad heads, tryin to be pacino lol
Don't you ever notice fat joe has a new terror squad almost every album?

Between his last two albums and his album now, you tell me whats different. Look at remy ma, shes leavin because joe's is a spotlight hogger, he eatin off pun stilll and pun's wife aint got none of that money, reason why she had to put big pun's chain on ebay.

If anybody thought fat joe was ill, should get fckin smacked, he got his a.ss wooped in BRIDGEPORT, CT by residents tryin to rep his state and sh*t on CT, then him and his WHOLE crew got smashed, and he hid in the back of his truck and laid down. Str8 Btch man, he will never be back in this area, honestly.
 11 years ago '04        #13
Hardkore 10 heat pts10
space
space
$18,911 | Props total: 1153 1153
i don't even wanna get into it...but i remember in one interview fat joe was like this on either his recent album or the one before it:

"yeah, i wrote most of the material this time." :wtf:
 11 years ago '06        #14
LYTE 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
$14,133 | Props total: 4735 4735
and back when he 1st dropped, it was rumored Rae-K bka the chef wrote for him
 11 years ago '05        #15
HoviWay 
space
space
$899 | Props total: 0 0
 Tony_Romo_God said:
fat joe is the GOAT

they always hatin on the real dudes in the industy

classic song after song

and every album he just keeps getting better

CRACK!
:applause: damn......:wow:

Last edited by HoviWay; 04-28-2007 at 07:03 PM..
 04-28-2007, 07:09 PM         #16
esteban  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
putos
 11 years ago '06        #17
WillScrillz5000 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,666 | Props total: 552 552
*wishes pun was still alive...*
 11 years ago '04        #18
Azntwins2 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$970 | Props total: 21 21
lol the truth will come out sooner or later
 11 years ago '05        #19
BurninLz 31 heat pts31
space
space
$10,312 | Props total: 868 868
they r both fu*kin garbage then

only time joe had a lick of talent wuz when he was readin outta puns rhyme book but even then he was a fat c*cksuckin f*g**t
 11 years ago '07        #20
datdude07 
space
space
$920 | Props total: 537 537
i knew it
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
48 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
105 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
180 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
274 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside F*ck That: Atlanta Businessman Breaks Down How Crazy Expensive Is It to..
65 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
74 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
186 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Dustin Hoffman Accused of Sexual Misconduct by 5 More Women, Includin..
36 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy