Muslim Girls Kicked out of TaeKwonDo tournament for not removing Religious HeadScarve

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
162 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
28 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
44 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
92 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 04-17-2007, 03:59 AM         #1
9022 pageviews
217 comments

DINER0 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Muslim Girls Kicked out of TaeKwonDo tournament for not removing Religious HeadScarve

Muslim Girls Kicked out of Tae Kwon Do tournament for not removing Religious Head Scarves

MONTREAL -- A team of mainly Muslim girls was forced to pull out of a Tae Kwon Do tournament near Montreal Sunday because its members refused to remove their hijabs.

In the second incident in Quebec sports this year, tournament organizers told team officials the girls could not compete because the Muslim headscarves posed a safety risk.

International referee Stephane Menard said the decision was made at a referee's meeting earlier in the day because hijabs are not listed under allowed equipment.

"The equipment that is allowed under the world Tae Kwon Do federation rules doesn't include the hijab," Menard said Sunday. "We applied the rules to the letter."

The Tae Kwon Do team, made up of girls between 8 and 12 years old, is affiliated with a Muslim community center in Montreal. Five of the team's six players wear a hijab but have been allowed to participate in similar tournaments around Quebec.

Team coach Mahdi Sbeiti says his team has often been cited as an example of cultural integration but suspects a changing political atmosphere played a role in the decision. Quebec has been embroiled in recent months in a debate about to what extent accommodations should be made for cultural and religious minorities.

Ahead of provincial elections last month, government officials ruled that Muslim women had to remove their face coverings if they wanted to vote, to allow for proper identification.

In February, an 11-year-old Muslim girl from Ontario participating in a soccer tournament in Quebec was pulled from the field after she refused the referee's request to remove her headscarf. The move was supported by soccer a.ssociations, citing safety concerns.

The Muslim center's boys club pulled out of Sunday's tournament in an act of solidarity.

"I'm very upset," said Bissan Mansour, one of the players. "We made so many efforts and practiced harder than usual to be here."

Sbeiti said he did not understand why his team was being barred now, especially since many of the referees were familiar.

"On the international scene, many teams from Muslim countries wear the hijab and have never had such a problem," Sbeiti said. "I don't see why it should be a problem here and now."

The Canadian Council of American-Islamic Relations said Sunday's decision will not encourage Muslim women to participate in sports.

"This recent fixation on the hijab is only serving to marginalize Muslim women who wish to participate in athletic activity," the Ottawa-based organization said.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.newsday.com/ne .. orld-headlines

Last edited by DINER0; 04-17-2007 at 04:00 AM..

217 comments for "Muslim Girls Kicked out of TaeKwonDo tournament for not removing Religious HeadScarve"

11 years ago '04        #2
noshirtforyou 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,448 | Props total: 0 0
and...?
 11 years ago '05        #3
D.Knight 
space
space
$1,265 | Props total: 0 0
hey tough luck, u gotta respect the rules, if i cant wear a du rag in skool than u can't wear a scarf during a martial arts tourney
 04-17-2007, 10:30 AM         #4
ThatDudeMJ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Your doo rag doesnt have sh*t to do with your religious convictions... ^
 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM         #5
Styl3s  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ThatDudeMJ said:
its a fu*king martial art tourney, its justified, there are rules.. religion is no exception.. it has nothing to do with fu*king religion, im tired of ignorant fools always blaming people for retarded sh*t.. OH ITS BECAUSE IM BLACK! oh you wont let me do this because of my religion! oh you treat me this way because im arab :rolleyes:

BTW- you do know your not allowed to wear any type of head gear in most public school, religion or not it doesnt matter.

Last edited by Styl3s; 04-17-2007 at 10:40 AM..
 11 years ago '04        #6
ItAlY2BkLyN 238 heat pts238
space
space
$22,132 | Props total: 9434 9434
Yea, there's rules for reasons. I understand their religious beliefs consist of wearing the head scarf, but if you are going to participate in a public tournament, you have to realize that there are going to be regulations. They wouldn't let you wear shoes or other articles of clothing. So why should they make an exception because one group has it as part of their culture. Then you'd have to let anyone who bi*ches about something they want to wear, sport whatever they want. It's not a time for self expression. It's a time for whoopin a.ss.
 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM         #7
catchaBreath  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ItAlY2BkLyN said:
Yea, there's rules for reasons. I understand their religious beliefs consist of wearing the head scarf, but if you are going to participate in a public tournament, you have to realize that there are going to be regulations. They wouldn't let you wear shoes or other articles of clothing. So why should they make an exception because one group has it as part of their culture. Then you'd have to let anyone who bi*ches about something they want to wear, sport whatever they want. It's not a time for self expression. It's a time for whoopin a.ss.
I second that.

So kiddies, the moral of the story is to follow the damn rules.
 11 years ago '04        #8
Collapse 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$773 | Props total: 0 0
case in point..

it is impossible to separate religion & state..
 11 years ago '04        #9
Cutty Olds 7 heat pts
space
space
$16,457 | Props total: 6607 6607
Why would you want to wear a hijab in a tae kwon do even anyway?! I mean lets be serious here ya'll for minute. I understand the role it plays in the religoun but ...your at a tournie...for a specific type of sport and a fighitng one at that...Don't act surprised if your asked to remove an article of clothing for a FULL CONTACT sporting event!

Man I try not to laugh when I see it but out here in Bahrain I see some of the women who jog/fast walk in there and please forgive the spelling "burhka" and "abiyas"...Haha man some of them folks are really about there tradition/religoun! So im not surprised to see that some of them would try this...Hell remember when some of them were trying to raise hell in America because they wanted to keep there abiyas on for there I.D. cards?!?!
 04-17-2007, 10:57 AM         #10
kokaine  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 D.Knight said:
hey tough luck, u gotta respect the rules, if i cant wear a du rag in skool than u can't wear a scarf during a martial arts tourney
u wear a rag to personify how "gangster" you are..... dumbass..... tough luck? the girl wore that cuz of her beliefs ..... does you religion tell your to listen to sh*tty violent music, and dress in some jail type clothes? NO it doesnt, but her religion tells her to do so ..... and its not harming anybody .....

Last edited by kokaine; 04-17-2007 at 11:00 AM..
 04-17-2007, 10:58 AM         #11
Styl3s  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kokaine said:
u wear a rag to personify how "gangster" you are..... dumbass..... tough luck? the girl wore that cuz of her beliefs? ..... does you religion tell you to listen to sh*tty violent music, and dress in some jail type clothes?
You allowed to wear one in boxing? no

shut the fu*k up

its a fu*king sport, it has NOTHING to do with religion, its just ignorant fu*ks like to make it out to be about that, thats how america is.. people like to play the religion and race card when they dont get there way
 11 years ago '05        #12
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
 kokaine said:
u wear a rag to personify how "gangster" you are..... dumbass..... tough luck? the girl wore that cuz of her beliefs? ..... does you religion tell your to listen to sh*tty violent music, and dress in some jail type clothes? NO it doesnt, but her religion tells her to do so ..... and its not harming anybody .....
 04-17-2007, 11:00 AM         #13
macadon83  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ThatDudeMJ said:
Religious views are no more important than someones freedom. So, if i can't wear a du rag to class without being harassed by teachers, or in the street without worrying about being harrased by cops, they aren't getting a pass from me for their religion. It's still a choice. You have the choice to either wear it or not. Be in the tourny or not. U aren't getting a free pass from me just because some n*gga wrote a book that says you should wear a certain thing.

I woulda let them go ahead and compete, but they definitely didn't have to. Follow the rules n*ggaz.
 04-17-2007, 11:01 AM         #14
kokaine  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k those 2 that are trynna justify her to remove her hijab ... that retard used a bad example to fu*king get his point across.... and that reatd "great khali".... at this dumbass coparing a pro sport to an barely amateur .... extracurricular activity..... fu*king low life hater......
 04-17-2007, 11:02 AM         #15
r a n c i d  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ThatDudeMJ said:
And religion doesn't have sh*t to do with a martial arts tournament.

I'm getting tired of these debates over religous uniform, wether its a cross on your necklace or a headscarf around your head. Until you can prove your religous believes to be factual all this religous bullsh*t needs to stop.

You can't prove your beliefs to be true so why should someone allow you to wear different uniform because of your beliefs?

Would you let a scientologist wear seperate clothing because of his beliefs. No, you wouldn't... and that's why we shouldn't let other farfetched whacko religions force their backwards beliefs onto us

I can't wait until couple hundred years down the line when religion will be deemed a mental illness
 11 years ago '05        #16
CalcuoCuchicheo 
space
space
$6,478 | Props total: 3 3
 Collapse said:
case in point..

it is impossible to separate religion & state..
It really isn't.
 04-17-2007, 11:05 AM         #17
kokaine  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JaiMega said:
tell me one thing... why the fu*k would someone wear doo-rag to a fu*king CLASS..... it'd be understandable if it was hot outside, or playing ball and sh*t ...... but a fu*king class! ... while the girl basically has this headscarve on majority of her life... and its her own choice through religion to do so ...

but whatever .... she should know that in combative sports you need to take precautions
 11 years ago '04        #18
x Tha Arkitek x 59 heat pts59
space
space
$18,664 | Props total: 6786 6786
 r a n c i d said:
And religion doesn't have sh*t to do with a martial arts tournament.

I'm getting tired of these debates over religous uniform, wether its a cross on your necklace or a headscarf around your head. Until you can prove your religous believes to be factual all this religous bullsh*t needs to stop.

You can't prove your beliefs to be true so why should someone allow you to wear different uniform because of your beliefs?

Would you let a scientologist wear seperate clothing because of his beliefs. No, you wouldn't... and that's why we shouldn't let other farfetched whacko religions force their backwards beliefs onto us

I can't wait until couple hundred years down the line when religion will be deemed a mental illness
You had to have aced Controversy 101 huh? LOL
 11 years ago '05        #19
trb_5 
space
space
$5,356 | Props total: 750 750
im muslim...and im more angry at the girls then at the tournament..its like this....i think some of them take religion in a sense to far...like at airports..you see our women sometimes wearing borkas...but why..your drawing attention to yourself for no reason..your creating problems for yourself...people will look at you....and airport security will probably harass you....but if you had the common sense to wear just a simple hijab or nothing at all...none of it would happen...then when it does happen they complain that they were being harassed..well of course cuz you were drawing attention to yourself

same with this....if in the tournament they knew that a hijab or any head garment is not allowed then they shouldnt have worn it....in the quran it doesnt say if you dont wear a hijab your going to hell...you dont even have to wear one....and to go to a tournament for taekwondo and refuse to take it off when you know your not allowed to wear it is drawing attention to yourself for no reason..it has nothing to do with race or religion...its just a rule...they didnt follow the rule and then they cry religious discrimination and yet again give everybody a bad impression about islam

Last edited by trb_5; 04-17-2007 at 11:09 AM..
 11 years ago '05        #20
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
 kokaine said:
tell me one thing... why the fu*k would someone wear doo-rag to a fu*king CLASS..... it'd be understandable if it was hot outside, or playing ball and sh*t ...... but a fu*king class! ... while the girl basically has this headscarve on majority of her life... and its her own choice through religion to do so ...

but whatever .... she should know that in combative sports you need to take precautions
I don't know which school you go to but you don't wear durags in class, once you get in you take off all headgear unless it's for religion or other sh*t like that.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
9 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
69 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact and familie..
100 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
63 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy