The Official USC Trojans Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
131 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
48 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Breakfast Club interviews Lavar Ball & Sons On Family Business, Discipline..
80 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who Wins?
Ohio State 10 24.39%
Southern California 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM         #1181
ScarlosSantana  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm a old schooler and I still rock Cortez's, Chuck's, and Superstars.

Those cleats look like Cortez's. I like them.
 5 years ago '04        #1182
bouncer900 
space
space
$4,010 | Props total: 85 85
losing to gtech

Wittek

Woods going Pro
 5 years ago '10        #1183
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
$21,495 | Props total: 9785 9785
Back from my hiatus. I bring news.

Larue officially decommitted. We all knew that was coming, wants to play WR we want him at corner. Probably goes to Texas A&M
 5 years ago '10        #1184
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
U.S. Army All-American and Rivals100 USC commit Khaliel Rodgerscame to San Antonio with a couple of goals in sight.

Gerard Martinez

Aiming to take over the nation's number one offensive guard spot, and if day one is any indication, that goal might not be too far out of reach.

Enjoying his experience thus far, Rodgers is most concerned with gelling with his teammates and bringing home a victory for the East Squad.

"It's going real well," said the road grading offensive lineman. "We're gelling as a team and we keep going and getting stronger and stronger."

When it comes to the level of competition Rodgers will line up against, it is safe to say that the U.S Army All-American Game presents a far greater set of challenges than his native Elkton (MD) Eastern Christian Academy. Ask Rodgers, however, and he will be waiting with open arms to any and all comers.

"The competition is only going to make me better," said Rodgers. "Just all around, because the better the competition is only going to make everything better."

Foreign to Rodgers is playing alongside the top offensive linemen nationwide, something he can gladly get used to.

"It's unique as well because we're all the best lineman in our states coming together," said Rodgers as he glanced toward his counterparts along the line. "The continuity is getting better and better each time. So we're just gelling right now and getting ready for the game."

Facing off against the nation's top defensive linemen during the one-on-one portion of practice, Rodgers had this to say about the much anticipated event.

"We definitely rocked out yesterday during the one-on-ones," said an excited Rodgers. "We're out there going hard right to now to so it's good."

In the rarest of occasions, teammates and USC commitments Kenny Bigelow and Rodgers were able to square up against one another, although the outcome of the battle depends on who you ask.

"Yeah I pancaked him yesterday," said Rodgers with a laugh. "I gave him a little pancake but it's all good because we're having fun out here but going hard at the same time."

Before Rodgers could walk away with bragging rights, USC commitment Kenny Bigelow had his take on the "so called" pancake.

"Oh man let me explain to you what happened in that situation," said Bigelow, a good sport about it. "He didn't pancake me. We were running stunts and I didn't go the right way, and then I had three linemen fall on top of me."

Often times the largest road block to the success of an Army All-American is learning a completely new system. In Rodgers' case, it's a whole new blocking scheme to pick up.

"At my school we just run power face up," said Rodgers of his Elkton (MD) Eastern Christian Academy blocking schemes. "This is more of a rip and run, stretch type of thing. It really doesn't matter to me, as long as I'm getting the job done."

Gerard Martinez

With senior quarterback Matt Barkley sidelined, The Trojans took to the field for the 79th annual Sun Bowl against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. With recruits tuned in and bragging rights on the line, the Trojans fell to Georgia Tech 21-7. The recruits' reaction spread across the board, but Rodgers has a unique take on the recent loss.

"I didn't get to watch it but I got my SportsCenter updates," said Rodgers. "That was a tough loss. I just felt like each team prepared hard but Georgia Tech prepared more for it. So I guess next year we come back harder."

As far as the potential recruiting effects from the bowl game loss, Rodgers had this to say.

"We were kind of embarrassed because other players who had bowl games they were clowning us and all that," he said. "It really doesn't matter to us though. I don't think any of our recruits will turn their back on USC, we just have to worry about when we get there."

With 13 Army All-Americans currently committed to USC, Rodgers is beginning to develop relationships that will carry on throughout his collegiate career.

"It's funny," said Rodgers with his signature grin. "We just did a commercial yesterday and we had blooper reels and it was off the chain. It was crazy. We were all joining together because we're like a family here."

Stay tuned to USCFootball.com for many more updates from the Army Bowl.
 5 years ago '10        #1185
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
SAN ANTONIO, TX - The East Army All-Americans have four USC commits, and each of the four more than held their own Tuesday at Heroes Stadium.

Gerard Martinez

Kenny Bigelow dominated Monday and Tuesday afternoon

Two of those commits, Kenny Bigelow and Jason Hatcher, have been under the tutelage of East Christian head coach Dwyane Thomas.

Thomas knows Bigelow extremely well, and looked at this week's event as an opportunity to build the five-star defensive tackle beyond his high school five-star status.

"Kenny is an extremely physical, explosive athlete," said Thomas. "I know coming into a situation like this, if you're not an offensive lineman that can handle a guy with his type of motor and explosiveness, you're going to have a problem blocking him.

"He has the skill and God given ability. When you get around better competitors it has to make you better. Often, it will make you the best. For me, it's all about just getting these guys out here to compete.

"See these kids all know each other from combines and camps, where they've all competed against each other. So when you get into this arena, with more of a realistic view of football with pads on, you find out where you are in the pecking order. A guy like Kenny is at the top."

While Thomas knows Bigelow well having coached him in high school at Eastern Christian and Red Lion, he also knew Jason Hatcher coming into this week.

"I met Jason down at a USC camp, and I know the reputation he has coming from the high school football program he does. I know he is a highly motivated and very disciplined individual.

"What I see in his game is that his quickness is a problem for people and he's knowledgeable of the game. He doesn't come out there off the edge like some nitwit. Jason understands what he's trying to get done.

"He's a Dwight Freeney type player, who is a little challenged height wise, but he's very physical in a five technique and I can see what USC likes about him."

Thomas is not only familiar with Bigelow and Hatcher, but he has known USC defensive line coach Ed Orgeron for 20-years.

Thomas knows USC, and he knows what Orgeron wants in his defensive linemen.

"The transition from me to Ed Orgeron is going to be seamless," said Thomas. "For Kenny, I've been very demanding of him. I've got my hands around his neck, and he doesn't know from hugging him or choking him. From time to time, I'm doing one or the other.

Gerard Martinez

Jason Hatcher is still emphatic about his commitment to USC

"Assisting Kenny in his decision, I wanted to make sure he was getting a high demanding, high energy, high motor type of guy. I think the sky is the limit for Kenny Bigelow."

Losing games, losing commits?

It was a blustery day at the East practice - too blustery for defensive end Jason Hatcher. While kids from Virginia and Pennsylvania remarked at how nice the weather was Tuesday, Hatcher disagreed.

"Man, it's cold," said Hatcher. "I'm a Prima Donna when it comes to being cold. I hate the cold. That's why I'm going to California."

When asked if he was originally from California, Hatcher replied, "No man, Southern Cal. I'm a Trojan baby."

USC's loss to Georgia Tech Monday was embarrassing for many of the Trojans committed recruits in San Antonio, but Hatcher, as usual, went beyond the quip and explained his thoughts further.

"I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling by the comment I make, but I look at USC's misfortune this season as a need for defensive talent," said Hatcher. "They need guys to come in and make plays. I think we have guys like that in this class. Guys that can rush the passers and stop the run."

Being in a room with 80 other all-stars, there's plenty of peer pressure to turn away from USC.

"There is peer pressure, but I know where I want to go," said Hatcher. "I'm still taking my visits, but it's going to be really, really hard for me to change my mind. I know where I want to go."

Ramsey proving his ranking

Five-star East cornerback Jalen Ramsey is rated No. 3 at his position nationally, and after two days of practices, he may be underrated.

Gerard Martinez

Jalen Ramsey is making a push for nation's No. 1 corner this week

"I just have to worry about myself out here," said Ramsey. "The linebackers are good, the defensive line is good, so I know they're gonna handle their business.

"I see all of these people out here working hard, so that just motivates me. I like being around successful people. It's good competition, very good competition. Mackensie [Alexander], Eli [Apple] and Kendall [Fuller]."

Like Hatcher, Ramsey saw the USC loss to Georgia Tech Monday and pulled no punches in describing his post-game reaction.
"Lets be real, you can't lie about it, the loss was embarrassing," said Ramsey. "But it was a whole team effort and you can't blame one person, like people were trying to do.

"With us [recruits], we feel like we can come in and help. When we watch a game like that, we feel like, 'I would have made this play or that play. I think it's all good right now."

Ramsey has one final official visit spot left, and at this point, his decision is not where to visit, but rather if he wants to visit at all.

"I'm just looking at Florida State for that last visit," said Ramsey. "Other schools are trying to get in there, but I don't want to start adding new schools to the mix. Really, it's just a matter of figuring out if I want to visit FSU or not."
 5 years ago '10        #1186
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space

SAN ANTONIO, TX - As Army All-American Bowl practices began Monday, the dark clouds hovering over the West practice field seemed to foreshadow the Trojans loss in El Paso to Georgia Tech, 21-7.

Gerard Martinez

Chris Hawkins did very well against the West's huge receivers

Back at the team hotel, six USC commits walked through the halls in a large, and somewhat dazed group.

"I think it shows they have a lot of room for improvement," saidKhaliel Rodgers, speaking first for the group. "I mean, yeah, it's a bad loss, but I think USC will be alright."

Trojan losses have been like water off a duck's back for Rodgers. He sees potential in each loss. Maybe more potential on offense than his Eastern Christian Academy teammate Kenny Bigelow.

"Yeah, that's on the offense in my opinion," said Bigelow. "The offense has Marqise Lee, Robert Woods, Silas Redd... all that talent and seven points? The game was... wow. I don't really know what happened in that game."

Four-star West cornerback commit Chris Hawkins agrees with Bigelow and followed up with his frustration over the Trojans play in 2012.

"I think it has to be on the offense," said Hawkins. "When you score seven points on offense, something is wrong. I mean, the defense held Georgia Tech to 21 points, including that punt return. The offense has to be better."

Five-star East cornerback Jalen Ramsey was very blunt about the Trojans' season, as well on how losses like Monday's can impact recruiting.

"USC had a bad season, lets just call it like it is," said Ramsey. "When you have a season like that, you can lose commits. It's what happens. I can see kids wanting to de-commit because of the loss, but I hope no one does.

"To me, it shows how much we [the 2013 class] are needed. It shows me how I can come in and make a difference next season."

With the Trojans' defensive commits putting the loss on the offense, West four-star wide out Steven Mitchell may have said it best.

"I think it's a team loss," said Mitchell.

But how does USC's final 2012 loss affect the Trojans future 2013 class in San Antonio.

"It doesn't affect me so much," said Ramsey. "I'm going to do my thing regardless, but it could affect other commits. We're all just hanging together now and talking about the game. Everybody wants to know what happened, and I guess we'll find out when the coaches get here Saturday."

West wet practice

USC's offense was painful to watch Monday, but the West offense didn't fair much better in soggy rain conditions in South Texas. With the air game grounded in team drills, West running back Justin Davisled a stacked West backfield to a good first practice.

"I've been out of football a couple of weeks, so it feels really great to get the football back in my hands," said Justin Davis. "I'm just getting use to the system, but like any other offense, it doesn't matter after you get the ball in your hands."

Gerard Martinez

Justin Davis stood out among three very good runners for the West

Davis faced fellow USC commit Michael Hutchings and Notre Dame commit Jaylon Smith on a handful of occasions Monday.

"I've never seen those type of athletes at linebacker before in my league," laughed Davis. "It's a very good experience because I'm going to play against those type of guys every Saturday in college.

"I want to prove that running backs on the West are as good as anybody. The running backs from the East always get the hype, but I want to show I'm just as good as anyone."

Vanderdoes,Vanderdoesn't

The subject popping up the most with USC commits Monday was the recruitment of four-star defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes. Davis, like several other USC commits, felt Vanderdoes was leaning back toward USC.

"I think he wants to stay with USC, but I think he wanted to take a step back and re-evaluate his options," said Davis. "All of the recruits love USC, but all of the recruits here love USC. It's a top choice for a lot of people."

West quarterback Max Browne wears his commitment to USC on his sleeve, and is happy to be a part of such a large contingent of Trojan recruits in San Antonio.

"There's not a whole lot of recruiting talk, but when you get this many guys together, people will discuss who's going where," said Browne. "When we're all walking around, the other guys talk about us being the Trojan gang.

"The group as a whole is pretty solid, and we're trying to pick Eddie back up."

Browne also thinks USC has a good chance at getting Vanderdoes back on the 2013 commitment list.

"First and foremost, Eddie is a great kid, and I think he made the decision to open things up to be fair to himself," said Vanderdoes. "I know he is still considering USC and he committed there for a reason, which he hasn't lost completely.

"I know he is looking forward to his visit, and I'll already be on campus. It will be a good opportunity to get him down to USC and expose him to why he committed to the Trojans in the first place."

Ironically, Vanderdoes came to practice Monday wearing a baby blue shirt under his pads that said, "Unfinished Business." It was a gift shirt from Adidas, a sponsor of the Army All-American Bowl.

"It's funny because I got that same exact shirt and told my roommate, Thomas Tyner, I will never wear this, these are UCLA colors," said Browne.

Mitchell makes impression

While the quarterbacks were far from dazzling during the morning and afternoon rain soaked practices, West wide receiver Steven Mitchell managed to impress onlookers with his speed and hands.

Mitchell is quickly earning a reputation as the top wide receiver in California, if not the entire West region.

"I thought it was a productive day," said Mitchell. "I'm playing in the slot because I'm the smallest guy in the group. We have great wide outs, and they're all big guys. I think we'll do good in the game.

"Learning a different offense is tough, and blocking those big safeties and linebackers is tough, but I'm doing well.

"Chris [Hawkins] and I are also running back kicks. They called us out to do it, so hopefully we can make something happen there. Hopefully Chris will block for me," joked Mitchell.
 5 years ago '10        #1187
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space

Four-star USC signee, Chris Hawkins from Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) has one more high school football game to compete in before taking his talents to SC. He will play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and Monday was practice No. 1.

"Day 1 went good," Hawkins said. "We got out here and got our feet wet. We were able to get some practice in.

Gerard Martinez

Lots to do for USC commit Chris Hawkins this week in San Antonio.

"We went over our schemes and what coverages we are running. The offense went over their plays and got some one-on-ones in and seven-on-seven. It was more of a get- your-feet-wet competitive day."

Hawkins was pleased and comfortable with the first day of work, competing with the best at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

"I feel good," Hawkins said. "Coach Byers, from my school [Rancho Cucamonga], is one of the defensive coordinators, so the stuff he is inputting defensively is the stuff, we do at my school. I am very comfortable with it."

Hawkins represented California and USC really well the first day of practice. He showed why he belongs in this prestigious game.

"In one-on-ones, I think I went 4-1," Hawkins said. "The one that was caught was a four-yard sit, so I felt good.

"I almost had a pick at the back of the end zone, but I knocked it down instead. I felt like I did good, but there is always room to get better and room to improve."

One of the benefits of being on the West team for Hawkins is he gets to go up against a very talented group of wide receivers who are not only quick, but have tremendous size.

"Our receivers are big and physical," Hawkins said. "Derrick Griffin and Ricky Seals-Jones, they're massive. They are 6-foot-5 and weigh 200-plus pounds, but it is all technique with me.

"I don't care how big you are if I use my technique. The probability of you getting open is slim to none."

That being said, Hawkins thinks one from the West really stands out and this guy has more traditional size.

"The most impressive wide receiver is Steven Mitchell," Hawkins said. "Honestly, he is. Steven Mitchell is from the same area that I am from, the Pasadena area.

"He's good and one of the best in the country. I'm not saying that because he's a USC Trojan, but he really is one of the best in the country. He's so swift with his footwork that is what sets him apart from everybody else."

Hawkins is already signed, sealed and delivered to the Trojans. He will be one of USC's early enrollees and he is glad the recruiting process is behind him.

"I don't have any more questions about what schools are coming in or [which} am I favoring," Hawkins said. "I'm a USC Trojan and that's a fact."

Now that Hawkins is 100 percent a Trojan, he has been working the floor espousing the virtues of attending USC and to one wayward prospect specifically.

"Yesterday when I missed my plane, and another one was delayed, so Eddie Vanderdoes and I were on the same flight," Hawkins said. "We were talking the whole time about him hopefully coming back to USC. He said there was a good chance that he will.

"Eddie just didn't want to come into the recruiting process saying that he's 100 percent a Trojan while he is still entertaining other schools. I respect that as a man. Hopefully he gets back to be a Trojan again."

Hawkins is not alone in pursuing USC's prodigal son in trying to help him find his way back home.

"Everybody is on him [Vanderdoes], everybody," Hawkins said. "Eddie gets along with everybody, all of us. That's a good thing and hopefully, he feels at home and that he comes back."

Vanderdoes isn't the only one Hawkins and his future teammates are recruiting. They also haveA'Shawn Robinson and Hawkins' high school teammate, Tahaan Goodman in their sights.

"We were talking to Tahaan and A'Shawn," Hawkins said. "A'Shawn said that he's still committed to Texas, but hopefully he becomes a Trojan also."

Recruiting possible future Trojans isn't the only thing that Hawkins is expecting to do during his week in San Antonio.

"I expect to get better," Hawkins said. "My DB coach isn't here, but my goal is to get better and compete against the best. All the best receivers are on my team and the East team. I just want to compete and hopefully get better throughout the whole situation."
 5 years ago '10        #1188
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- Despite a downpour as well as a smoke-filled stadium following a car accident and fire a few yards away, the morning session of practice for the East squad at the U.S. Army All American Bowl was eventful. With the afternoon session in shells, there was plenty of action to evaluate. Led by Kenny Bigelow, here are the top East performers from Monday.

U.S. ARMY BOWL EAST TOP PERFORMERS
1. DT KENNY BIGELOW, ELKTON (MD.) EASTERN CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
Bigelow was physically dominant all day and made a living in the offensive backfield. His get-off was fast, he was extremely aggressive and he looked natural as a defensive tackle despite playing end for much of his career. He also batted down a pass and was effective against the run.

2. DB JALEN RAMSEY, BRENTWOOD (TENN.) BRENTWOOD ACADEMY
Ramsey was one of many tremendous defensive backs on the East squad in what is going to be a heated battle for supremacy and a starting nod. Ramsey used his size and long reach to disrupt plays, he showed excellent instincts in reading receivers routes and his pass deflection in the second session led to one of only a few interceptions on the day.

3. RB GREG BRYANT, DELRAY BEACH (FLA.) AMERICAN HERITAGE
Bryant missed the morning session for an unspecified reason, but he more than made up for it in the afternoon. Bryant showed amazing burst through the hole and his explosion as well as power was impressive. He does everything at 110 mph and reaches top speed very quickly. Bryant can also catch the ball well out of the backfield.

4. DB KENDALL FULLER, OLNEY (MD.) GOOD COUNSEL
While Ramsey is a bit more flashy than Fuller, there is little doubt that Kendall is technically the most sound of anyone. He never falls for double moves, seems to glide step-for-step with his opponent with little wasted effort and he plays the ball very well. Fuller had a few nice deflections and was arguably the most consistent of the defensive backs.

5. DE JONATHAN ALLEN, ASHBURN (VA.) STONE BRIDGE
Allen was active all day long and always seemed to be around the football, scooping up many errant snaps and fumbles. He has a very strong lower body, gets off the ball with explosion and always seems to be in great position. He's part of a very strong defensive line for the East.

6. DB MACKENSIE ALEXANDER, IMMOKALEE, FLA.
Alexander is a very physical defender and likes to make his presence felt off the line of scrimmage and even down the field. He closes very quickly on the ball, has excellent balance moving backward and he also has above average instincts. More of a gambler than Ramsey or Fuller, Alexander is fun to watch and very effective.

7. RB DERRICK GREEN, RICHMOND (VA.) HERMITAGE
Green is a bowling ball of a runner who is very strong North-South but has quick feet and good balance. Once he decides to hit a hole, and he is a decisive runner, he is a load to handle. It would have been nice to see some full contact because you could tell he would have shrugged off linebackers. Green ran hard and with excellent straight-line speed.

8. LB DANIEL MCMILLIAN, JACKSONVILLE (FLA.) FIRST COAST
McMillian showed off very quick-twitch athletic ability, especially in drills when asked to pivot, flip his hips and change direction. He was also very good in space and quick to the football throughout both sessions. He has pretty good size, a great frame to fill out with long arms and he can cover a lot of ground quickly.

9. RB TAQUAN MIZZELL, VIRGINIA BEACH (VA.) BAYSIDE
Mizzell worked out most of the day as a slot receiver and, as usual, he made some defenders look foolish. He was hard to check for linebackers and safeties in space and scored over two different defenders with great separation. Mizzell's footwork is still among the best even as the competition gets better and he could be a big play waiting to happen in the game itself.

10. DE AL-QUADIN MUHAMMAD, RAMSEY (N.J.) DON BOSCO
Muhammad is one of the smaller defensive linemen here, but he's also one of the strongest. He is very explosive off the snap and was one of the most physical players from the start, something you expect from a Bosco player. He not only gets after the passer with a great first step but he can also string out the run and play in space.

11. RB DERRICK HENRY, YULEE, FLA.
Henry is a massive running back and he can struggle inside, but if the edge is sealed and he gets around it, he builds up quite a bit of steam and is hard to bring down. Henry has deceptive speed and good balance and he was very effective to the outside.

12. DE WYATT TELLER, BEALTON (VA.) LIBERTY
Teller is a big body with a relentless motor who did a great job of filling the gap against the run and getting a push as well. He's very strong at the point of attack, can shed blocks quickly and will run plays down anywhere on the field. He's a no-nonsense hustle player with ability.

13. WR DEMARCUS ROBINSON, FORT VALLEY (GA.) PEACH COUNTY
Robinson started off slowly and the quarterbacks on the East struggled badly, but as the practice wore on and the afternoon came around, he made some great catches. He has excellent body control, good size and his hands are reliable even in the rain.

14. OL AUSTIN GOLSON, PRATTVILLE, ALA.
Golson isn't the biggest lineman, he doesn't have the longest arms, but he has good feet and he's willing to be aggressive. He played left and right tackle as well as guard and each time he stayed with his man, anchored well, kept his feet moving and was the most effective offensive lineman on the day.

15. DE FRANK HERRON, MEMPHIS (TENN.) CENTRAL
Herron was perhaps the most physically impressive player on the hoof as he is every bit of 6-foot-5 and looks like he weighs in the area of 265 pounds. Herron is raw overall and needs to work on his pad level, but overall he's huge and moves well and is hard to handle because of his size. You could see him being special down the line as he's just starting to reach his
 5 years ago '10        #1189
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space

EL PASO, Tex. -- It's hard to recall being part of a loss, even covering it, where you just feel so empty, so without the ability to find a redeeming moment.

So maybe we go with the one moment to take away here, one of those that makes you feel good about sports. Down on the field right after the game, I found Georgia Tech interim defensive coordinator Charles Kelly, probably coaching this game for his job. Good guy. Obviously a heck of a coach.

Timothy Lutes

The play of the game for USC from Silas Redd, who will get the chance to do it again next season.

Went to shake his hand as gleeful Yellow Jacket players hopped by unable to contain their joy. "We did it, we did it," they said as they hugged Kelly, who was f!ghting back tears. "We did it."

Indeed they did. And how. Did they ever. They're 7-7 now and 5-2 with Kelly calling the defenses and he probably has a job for next season.

That's the way it goes when your team that gave up 49 points to Middle Tennessee and 50 to North Carolina holds USC's heralded five-stars to a single TD.

That's the way you want it to go for the guys you know and like and care about. But in five of their last six games on the way to the plunge to a 7-6 season from preseason No. 1 with the most USC losses in 11 years, there was little joy and almost nothing to celebrate.

"It's nothing we haven't seen," a disgusted USC center Khaled Holmes said as he walked off the field. "It's typical of the problems we've had all year. The defense played great."

Asked to elaborate, Holmes decided not to. What was it? "I don't know," he said.

Silas Redd thought he knew, admitting that he's the newcomer here, hadn't been here for the 10-2 season a year ago, and notwithstanding his singular performance on the USC offense with 88 yards on 17 carries and USC's lone touchdown on the offensive play of the day for the Trojans, he had his say.

He'll be back, the Penn State transfer said, even as the folks back home knocked him for transferring to a USC team whose record was worse than the Penn State program he left. But he's staying with the Trojans, in answer to a question. He didn't bring it up.

And he's not joining Robert Woods, who announced his mind was made up before this game and it was time for him to go. He was ready. Redd was not ready to move on.

"I apologize to all the fans and the staff," Redd said. "We just didn't do the job." And no, he says, he has "no regrets" for coming to USC and those people who get on him, well, "they deserve no response."

But unlike so many, so many Trojans who were part of that 10-2 season in 2011, Redd did have an answer as to what went wrong. "We've got to be meaner," Redd said. "We have to pound people up front. And the running backs have to run harder."

Timothy Lutes

Tough Sun Bowl for Max Wittek in the wind of El Paso.

You mean like they played at Penn State when he was there? "I'm not comparing teams," Redd said. "But we did play physical {at Penn State]."

He didn't have to do any comparing. USC once played that way, although it seems like a very long time ago -- although the defense had its moments despite giving up 294 of Georgia Tech's 369 yards on the ground.

And USC even got physical the last two weeks in practice. So much so, they fooled themselves, their coaches, anybody around this team. They thought it was a new era. They'd turned the corner. They really did want to go out and play USC football.

Only it was windy. And there went the game plan. While run-heavy Georgia Tech stuck to their perfect plan to shut down USC and score enough to win, the Trojans Plan A might as well have been written in invisible ink.

And just as in the Stanford game that got this slide started in Week 3, there was no Plan B. Footballs coming out end-over-end from Max Wittek's hand? Whattaya' gonna' do? It happens.

No way to get the ball to your Biletkinoff Award winner, or your All-American from a year ago who set the Pac-12 record for catches, well, whattaya' gonna' do? between them, Marqise Lee (six catches for 41 yards) and Woods (three for 33) were in single digits combining their totals together.

Better be able to run it then. Or go with a quarterback who can scramble and hit the quick, short stuff. But wait, that would have been Plan B. Only there was no Plan B.

Not that the wind was a surprise. Or that the Trojans didn't prepare as well as anyone could have asked for considering the season and the coaching staff and the Sun Bowl and all the rest of it.

They did.

But what we forget and what these players know better than anyone is this: There is no Plan B. And Plan A is blowing up, getting stuffed, down the drain, going up in flames, swirling away in the wind, whatever you want to say. It's a non-factor, the gameplan.

And at that point, these Trojans know so are they.

They're not tough enough, disciplined enough, confident enough, together enough to get through something like this. They do not come from behind. They know that. They do not take advantage of turnovers or trips to the red zone.

Timothy Lutes

Nor much Matt Barkley could do to help out his fellow Mater Dei alum Max Wittek at the Sun Bowl.

"Both teams made it to the red zone three times," Lane Kiffin said. "They scored 21 points, we scored seven." And gave one away on a line-drive, one-hop punt return into the wind that seemed to surprise the covering Trojans when Tech's Jamal Golden picked it up on the fly going the other way behind them for 56 yards.

You have to be ready for that when you punt the ball that way. USC wasn't. Nor did the Trojans show any semblance of red zone improvement after the Notre Dame goal line debacle. It still looked like grab bag playcalling.

That's because it was grab bag playcalling. Two of Wittek's interceptions came there, on plays from the Tech 4- and 14-yard lines.

Sure, as he was going 14 of 37 with those three interceptions, and repeatedly missing the receivers on the occasion USC found a way to get them open, Wittek probably shouldn't have been in there still. You don't make a starting pitcher who gives up 12 runs in the first five innings pitch the sixth.

But Kiffin said he "has a long leash." And he's not pulling the guy he went into the game with.

Cody Kessler said he understood. He was warming up on occasion, he said, but only for the possibility Wittek would get his helmet ripped off and have to leave for a play. Where this leaves Kessler for the spring is anyone's guess if he couldn't get in here on this day.

Apparently, only Georgia Tech had two quarterbacks ready to play.

USC, for the $7 million or so in coaching salaries, wasn't able to get there.

But then that would have been Plan B. And if you can't begin to get Plan A right, who needs to work on a Plan B as USC headed back to LA with Kiffin talking of how "we're going to evaluate everything."

Everything? "All of it," Kiffin said. "You can't be 7-6 at USC. We've got to work to get that fixed."

But what to fix first? Really, the question everyone asks is where is the disconnect? From last year to this year, from the last two weeks of upbeat, aggressive, physical practice -- to Monday's Sun Bowl.

Timothy Lutes

Won't be seeing this again from Robert Woods in cardinal and gold as he made one of his last career catches against Georgia Tech.

"I have no idea," Kiffin said. Just like USC on third down, when the Trojans converted a miserable three of 15.

He may be the only one right now. USC's fan base seems to have an idea. And if the players have an idea, mostly they're not saying. But if body language could talk, we could guess where many of them are.

GOING, STAYING AND DON'T KNOW YET

As mentioned, while Redd said he was staying, Woods came out after the game and said he'd made his decision, he'd told Kiffin and he was out of here, with nothing but good things to say about his USC experience.

Gracious as ever, Robert thanked everyone from Pat Haden to the USC coaches, every one of his coaches, to Matt Barkley, for making it possible for him to leave after three years. Sure, if he came back, he said he knew the USC coaches would throw him the ball more, contrary to one report.

But it wasn't about that. And it wasn't about this game. It was time to move on. He thinks he can bump up that second-round NFL draft evaluation with his performance in the next couple of months. It's time.

But corner back Nickell Robey said we have to give him another week to think about it. He said a new defensive coordinator might affect his thinking but that may be short notice for Kiffin's time frame for the hiring.

As to what happened here in this 7-6 year, Robey could just shake his head. "We ask that all the time," he said of the captain's meetings. "Where did we fall off?"

And the answer? Just another shake of the head.
 5 years ago '12        #1190
CosbySweater 297 heat pts297
space
space
$36,120 | Props total: 15683 15683
Sebastian LaRue decommitted
 5 years ago '10        #1191
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
 CosbySweater said:
Sebastian LaRue decommitted
Check the last page

Wanted to play WR but we wanted him at CB. It's been known for awhile he was going to de-commit
 5 years ago '10        #1192
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
Here's some random tidbits i got from another site

Got to see a post made by that Altadenamike guy before the mod VIP'd it. He's the only poster who's ever had really solid insider info. Few points:

On Vanderdoes, we're being negatively recruited against by either UCLA, ND or both that Gene Chiznik will be hired and move Orgeron out. He's also pissed about A'Shawn potentially coming on board since they are both 3-techs.
A'Shawn Robinson is a silent verbal who recently got his mother's blessing to leave TX. Altadena said his source got this quote from him: "Me and Kenny and gonna hold that middle, man." When asked about Eddie? "Yeah, guess him too." Apparently he and Eddie aren't too high on each other.
Another 5-star verbaled, but is waiting to see who the DC will be (LMIII?).
Hutch is a real threat to ND (UDub will get the other visit).
Jermaine Kelly is just waiting for an offer.
Ramsey is holding firm.
Chargers interested in Mora

I don't subscribe to any site, so A'Shawn being a silent blindsided me (still meaningless until NSD, but again, altadena is the only "insider" I'd take notice of...he usually gets his info weeks before the guys who write the articles). If true, it takes some of the burn about losing EVD away. Hopefully, this has more to do with him pouting about A'Shawn coming on than him falling for UCLA or ND. CEO might be able to flip him back and he'll be at the AA game with our other dozen recruits, which can't hurt.

Suppose they're dangling the offer in front of Kelly (top250 recruit) as a backup in case Ramsey jumps in the Swamp. Losing Hutch would suck for multiple reasons, but that LB from Leonard Williams' high school in Daytona is set for the big OV weekend 1/17. LMIII's an EE so we won't have to wait much longer to see if he's on board with the new hire. And I doubt the Charger's are dumb enough to hire Mora away
 5 years ago '05        #1193
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$54,061 | Props total: 6960 6960
fu*k you f*ggots and your terrific music program. im takin a plane right now to come over n break yall instruments fu*k boys.....ima bust a nut on ya tubas
 5 years ago '10        #1194
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
Don't act like I didn't tell you months ago

[video - click to view]

Wanted him over Redfield allll day
 5 years ago '05        #1195
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$54,061 | Props total: 6960 6960
i never wanted that n*gga anyways he so goofy lookin n he dont have no gold teeth or dreads

that's why we bout to flip kenny bigelow and then bench him for 4 years n not let him play 1 snap....
 5 years ago '10        #1196
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Fro n Lamb Chops a fukn beast
 5 years ago '04        #1197
bouncer900 
space
space
 5 years ago '04        #1198
bouncer900 
space
space
Kylie Fitts decommits
 5 years ago '04        #1199
bouncer900 
space
space
Nickell Robey going pro........ he gotta support the fam

Last edited by bouncer900; 01-13-2013 at 09:12 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #1200
bouncer900 
space
space
Jason Hatcher decommits

also hearing Sanders got fired

Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
67 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside The Administration Kicked Me Out But I Went Round Back On They A@%
35 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
89 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
275 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy