most viewed right now
Video inside Was there ever a bigger weed carrier than SliffStar
74 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
58 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who Wins?
Ohio State 10 24.39%
Southern California 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 03-24-2012, 10:49 PM         #841
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Both Victor Blackwell (pictured) and De'Von Flournoy were impressive at WR during the first spring scrimmage on Saturday.
The Trojans were scheduled to hold a scrimmage on Saturday in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, but there was a change of plans due to a lack of bodies at several offensive skill positions.

The Trojans did not have any scholarship tight ends available, only two scholarship wide receivers and the only scholarship fullback left practice early in the day due to some back issues.

Lane Kiffin simply adjusted and held an extended practice session, and the good news was that there were some pretty good offensive performances from the guys who were out there.

In fact, Kiffin saw enough from tailback Tre Madden that he confirmed Madden will be staying on offense. Madden was moved from linebacker earlier this week for a test look and proceeded to give every indication that he has a future in the USC backfield.

“He (Madden) will be at running back,” Kiffin said. “He’s done some pretty special things. To see the way he stays up, at 225 pounds, and keeps that forward lean is pretty unique. He’s also got some good speed for a big guy.”

The two receivers who were available -- Victor Blackwell and De’Von Flournoy -- had good days as well. Both had receptions from Max Wittek on a scoring drive that ended with a Curtis McNeal touchdown run.

“Flournoy made a number of plays today,” Kiffin said. “What we can hope is that we can have another (Brandon) Carswell story. If you have the right attitude and you stay long enough, usually, you will play. Hopefully he’ll be another example of that.”

Perhaps the most active player on the field, however, was tight end/fullback Hunter Simmons. A walk-on from 2009-2011, Simmons left the program in the middle of last season. After deciding he wasn’t done playing yet, Simmons returned to the team this spring and has seen a lot of reps as the No. 2 fullback, one who is already familiar with the playbook.

Simmons was also taking reps at tight end this past week as injuries had left the team with only one available tight end in Randall Telfer. After Telfer went out on Thursday with a hamstring injury, Simmons was scheduled to start the scrimmage today at tight end, but then Soma Vainuku felt some back pain during early agility drills and left for the day. Due to that Simmons never came off the field on Saturday, as he took every rep at either fullback or tight end.

“Hunter Simmons was a workhorse today,” USC running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu said. “We had him go with the tight ends because we didn’t have any and he picked up the flag to do that. Then we get out here and Soma hurts his back and he ended up taking every snap. He never complained, he lined up right every time and he knew what to do. It’s great to have a young man like that around.”

Marqise Lee was not at the practice as he elected to take part in the long jump competition at the Trojan Invitation track meet. He won the event with a leap of 23 feet-11.5 inches.

ESPNU 150 watch list running back Ty Isaac (Joliet, IL/Catholic Academy) was in attendance today as part of his unofficial visit to USC.

Source:
 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM         #842
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The rumors of a Saturday Coliseum scrimmage, or even the double duty of USC's four football/track athletes, turned out to be just that: rumors.

[pic - click to view]

Playing all three receiver positions, De'Von Flournoy is making his chance count this spring.
Down to just two available scholarship receivers, and no tight ends, there wasn't much chance of anything more than a regular practice, even if it did take place in the Coliseum with the Trojan Invitational taking over all available ground on campus.

And once USC discovered that NCAA rules would prevent a dual-sport athlete from taking part in a second sport the same day if his event started before practice, tailback D.J. Morgan and cornerback Nickell Robey decided to stay with football.

Wide receiver Marqise Lee and safety Tony Burnett chose to go early and jump. The Pac-12 officials in training got to work more drills than 11-on-11 scrimmage stuff. But there was plenty of that, at least enough for a stripped-down offense to show up under redshirt freshman quarterbacks Cody Kessler and Max Wittek.

They weren't the only ones. Wide receivers De'Von Flournoy and Victor Blackwell made the most of their many chances as the only scholarship receivers on the field. As did tailbacks Morgan and Tre Madden, whose third day on offense after switching over from linebacker ended the "experimental" portion of that move.

". . . a running back," Kiffin called the speedy 226-pound redshirt freshman. saying he looked like a "natural" -- as if he's been playing the position all his life, just as his father and grandfather did.

WHO DIDN'T MAKE IT

Dion Bailey (hamstring), George Farmer (hamstring), Buck Allen (hamstring), Torin Harris (shoulder), Khaled Holmes (calf), Christian Thomas (hip), Xavier Grimble (toe), Marquis Simmons (shoulder) and Randall Telfer (hamstring) were out with various injuries or issues. Most are expected back by Tuesday, Kiffin said. Lee and Burnett were at track although Burnett did go back and forth. Junior Pomee was out for a family funeral. And Robert Woods and Josh Shaw are out for the entire spring.

'THOSE WHO STAY . . .

[pic - click to view]

D.J. Morgan chose football over track Saturday and made it pay off for the tailback.
In talking about redshirt junior Flournoy, who caught the ball behind people, in crowds, on crossing routes and at the sidelines, Kiffin said "we're hoping for a [Brandon] Carswell-type deal" from an "under-the-radar guy for a couple of years" who just blossoms.

"If you stay, you play," Kiffin said he tells underclassmen. "We're hoping he'll be another example of that."

Flournoy had a bit of a twist on what Kiffin was saying: "If you compete, you play," he says he's telling himself. "No position is locked from you."

In Flournoy's case, that would mean all three wide receiver spots -- the X, Y- and Z-receiver. "If I show the coaches I can play all three of them, that's an excellent opportunity for me."

"De'Von did some good things out there," Kiffin said. As did Blackwell, if not as many.

When the Trojans did line up with a tight end, it was mostly Hunter Simmons, a 250-pound former walkon fullback from Loyola who got a good bit of play in practice the last two seasons before leaving the team in the fall. His return gives the Trojans a big body there who can block but needed the coaches in his ear most of the day.

NEXT AT QUARTERBACK . . .

It didn't start all that well for Wittek, who's first 11-on-11 full scrimmage pass attempt was batted up in the air by defensive end Wes Horton and picked off by linebacker Will Andrew. But after that, Wittek, who went first, settled in and threw the ball well.

"I felt very comfortable out there with my decision-making," said Wittek, who knows he's come a long way since last spring here.

As has Kessler, who could hardly believe the difference running an offense he knows now versus the one he and Wittek, as early entry quarterbacks last spring, were trying to master. "Now you can focus on the offense . . . " in all its intricacies and adjustments, Kessler said. "I felt good out there, really good."

[pic - click to view]

Max Wittek said he felt "very comfortable" Saturday at quarterback in the Coliseum.

Kiffin felt good about them, with senior Heisman candidate Matt Barkley doing mostly a cameo appearance. "Pretty well," he said of their performance. "The offense did better than you would have thought with the personnel issues."

TRE TAILBACK 'EXPERIMENT' ENDS

He's in there with Morgan now, showing what he can do. And that's saying something because the redshirt sophomore Morgan, choosing football over track, had a very good day as a runner and receiver. Quick and sure, Morgan hit a run for eight yards, then caught a pass from Kessler in the left flat from the 25, broke a tackle at the 17 and scampered in for the first 11-on-11 touchdown.

Healthy now, he made it look easy. As did senior Curtis McNeal, like Barkley mostly in a cameo role, who got one chance on a middle dump-off from Barkley inside the 10 that saw him make one juke at the four and score untouched.

But the name on everyone's lips later was Madden's, who looked more instinctive and at home in his third practice at tailback than in the first two. "Tre Madden did some special things," said Kiffin, who talked about how a player who can do things the way he's shown to do them the first time he tries "obviously makes us look like better coaches. "He's a natural . . . and he will be playing running back."

Just like his grandfather, Lawrence McCutcheon did with the Rams as an All-Pro and his father, Curtis, did at Kansas State. "Just having the ball in my hands, it feels good," Madden said, who said the one time he was stripped, he "wasn't holding the ball with both hands."

His goals on the third day were simply to "just let my ability take over and protect the ball and protect the quarterback."

[pic - click to view]

Reflecting well on his family's running back heritage is linebacker-turned-tailback Tre Madden.
Now the question going forward is what about the two No. 13s in the USC backfield -- Madden's cardinal one and Wittek's yellow. "I'm going to try to get him out of it," Madden said of the bribes he's considering. "I've always had a three, with it in my name 'Tre,' " said Madden, whose teammates call him "Baby Stafon," for former USC tailback Stafon Johnson.

Wittek said he won't be giving it up easily, as he's always had 13 in honor of a family friend.

"I have no idea," Wittek said of how the number deal will turn out. But he knows this, he said of his fellow Orange Countian. "It's good to see him back there."

As to a nickname, Wittek said he's OK with whatever his teammates might call him. "Just as long as they don't call me 'Baby Marinovich," for another former Orange County Trojan quarterback.

Source:

Last edited by -Scar-; 03-24-2012 at 11:19 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #843
bouncer900 
space
space
$4,015 | Props total: 87 87
Baby Stafon huh, I can see the resemblance frame wise and the fact he's wearing #13
 6 years ago '04        #844
bouncer900 
space
space
In the Year 2012

Remember the class of 2012? While USC had a handful of recruits sign in January, the majority of the 2012 class is inching their way closer to campus each day. Most of the class is already qualified academically, but there are a few stragglers who must stay on track to get in without summer schools. Sources indicate that Jabari Ruffin, Gerald Bowman and Darreus Rogers are the three signees USC must continue to keeps its eye on.

Ruffin had to make up a class last semester and still trying to keep his overall core GPA in good shape. The same goes for Bowman, who did not pass the winter session courses he needed to qualify for midterm enrollment. Making up classes is one thing, but overloaded coarse work can result in an overall drop in GPA. With additional classes, all three signees have to still maintain a 2.8 GPA or higher this semester to qualify. Anything lower than a C will also dash any hopes of qualifying for USC. Bowman is not expected to be on campus until late June.

they need to get these guys tutors if Bowman is struggling at Pierce they should have directed him to LA Southwest to finish up... guaranteed A

Last edited by bouncer900; 03-25-2012 at 12:10 AM..
 6 years ago '10        #845
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
$21,528 | Props total: 9907 9907
Off top.

Wassup with Scroggins?
 6 years ago '04        #846
bouncer900 
space
space
1. His grades

2. hip injury, whenever its time for him to distance himself from the group he gets hurt
 6 years ago '10        #847
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
He might be the one transferring. Whats good with SHAW man I want to see him on the field next season. NCAA bullsh*ttin I see.
 03-25-2012, 12:45 PM         #848
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 USC said:
Off top.

Wassup with Scroggins?
Thursday injury report: Khaled Holmes (calf), Buck Allen (hamstring), George Farmer (hamstring), Xavier Grimble (toe) and Junior Pomee (family issue) did not practice. Jesse Scroggins (hip), Marquis Simmons (shoulder), Dion Bailey (hamstring) and Randall Telfer (hamstring) were all limited. Telfer came out toward the end of the day. Kiffin believes Holmes could be back for Saturday's scrimmage.

Falling to the back of the depth chart behind Cody Kessler and Max Wittek it seems. From missing time and reps due to academic issues in February then being punished by rolling across the turf last week for being late to weight lifiting, he hasn't seen half as many reps as Wittek and Kessler. I guess he was throwing some 70 yarders AFTER practice on Thursday but hasn't done much besides that. Guess he sat out Saturday due the hip injury as well.

I can tell you I've seen more about Tre Madden getting snaps in the Wildcat formation than Jesse.

Here's the only shot of him from Saturday.

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by -Scar-; 03-25-2012 at 12:55 PM..
 6 years ago '10        #849
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
I was excited for Scroggins to, I lowkey wanted to see another brotha under center...Been awhile

Now I'm excited for Kessler dude has a cannon and is mobile, a combo SC hasn't had in a minute.
 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM         #850
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah, even Wittek has looked good. I'm pretty a.ssured we'll be fine after Matt leaves.
 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM         #851
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sharece Wright of the San Diego Suckfu*ks..but Trojan alumni regardless

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '10        #852
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
Steve Smith is a Ram, he said Vick runs to much hope he comes back strong.
 03-25-2012, 01:26 PM         #853
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Speaking of Steve Smith, I said all last season that Robert Woods is the new improved Steve Smith and Marquis Lee has looked the part of a new improved Dwayne Jarrett. MB7 looks like a new Matt Leinart (with better arm strength). Throw in Moody & Madden as the new Thunder & Lightning and this team is shaping out to be much like the recent championship teams.

I'd like to think our chances of making another championship run are through the roof at this point and the only team that can stop us is ourselves.
 6 years ago '04        #854
bouncer900 
space
space
Yeah i was hoping to see shaw play at the spring game, but he is out with a rib injury he got while he was still @ UF
 6 years ago '04        #855
bouncer900 
space
space
 -Scar- said:
Speaking of Steve Smith, I said all last season that Robert Woods is the new improved Steve Smith and Marquis Lee has looked the part of a new improved Dwayne Jarrett. MB7 looks like a new Matt Leinart (with better arm strength). Throw in Moody & Madden as the new Thunder & Lightning and this team is shaping out to be much like the recent championship teams.

I'd like to think our chances of making another championship run are through the roof at this point and the only team that can stop us is ourselves.

Add Farmer to the mix ,.....

but he's dealing with the same issue's as Scroggins
 6 years ago '04        #856
bouncer900 
space
space
I'm also interested to see what Buck Allen can do, hes another big back with speed... they said he ran the second fastest 40 behind Farmer
 6 years ago '10        #857
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
Offense is def not an issue with us, we can score on any one. I want to see our D make a leap, we should look A LOT better early on because of the experience. We were basically a bend but don't break defense last year. I wanna see us stiffen up and stop teams. QB's came in and short passed us to death.
 03-25-2012, 10:12 PM         #858
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think the issue with us the past 2 seasons wasn implementing Monte's defense with the right personnel. The solution was speed through position changes and by week 4 everything started to click. Clearly by the end of the season the defense was completely on board with Monte's scheme.

THE PROBLEM..

is to get that speed oriented defense we gave up size. THIS is where the move of Tre Madden concerns me. We focused on a defensive speed for the sake of Oregon and Oregon alone. Well, it paid off but what we didn't account for was Stanford. Say what you want, but in overtime, their offensive line started wearing us down and it was so obvious to me. Their line was just too big and physical to be going overtime with. That's where we need size PLUS speed. The strong verbal commit of Kenny Bigelow for 2013 is huge and critical. WE need big bodies in the trenches. I have seriously been judging our recruits based on their specs more than anything lately.

The Pac is gonna be the most offensive diverse conference ever this year. From Stanford's power run game to Oregon's spread option to Mike Leach implementing the 60 passes a game offense at Wazzou then throw in Jim Mora running a pro style offense and Rich Rod's spread offense at Arizona now, we have a gauntlet for even the toughest defense. The recruiting is only gonna get better in the conference as the ESPN money pours in and it's going to be even harder to win the Pac.

Quote me on this.
 6 years ago '10        #859
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
Nice post.

The speed had to happen though for all the reasons you gave. I was definitely disappointed when we didn't get a big body like McCarthy. From what I heard he isn't as dominating as he should be for his comp in CA. Bigelow is a beast but he doesn't have that DT size off top either. Lenny Will have to bulk up a bit as well. I wanna see a monster with girth brought in to play our DT. And if its not to much to ask I would like to throw in Robert Nkemdiche. Fukd up how the Arik Armstead situation ended. Punk a.ss duck.

Our new wave of LB seem to have both speed and size.

Last edited by USC; 03-26-2012 at 02:41 AM..
 03-26-2012, 04:59 AM         #860
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 USC said:
Bigelow is a beast but he doesn't have that DT size off top either.
6'3", 280 pounds isn't exactly undersized. coming out of high school. He plays strongside DE actually which he outclasses everybody at his position. Aren't too many top DTs bigger than him either.
Home      

most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
79 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
133 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
73 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
111 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
193 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
118 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
68 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
51 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy