The Official USC Trojans Thread

most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
129 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
106 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
54 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who Wins?
Ohio State 10 24.39%
Southern California 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #821
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
$21,523 | Props total: 9896 9896
 Chad09 said:
Want Shabazz Muhammad!
Man...KO has to go.
 6 years ago '10        #822
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
Shaw better get his waiver to play next season. Amir got his and he has ZERO hardship. Shaw came back to SC so he can be close to his ill father. Carlisle fam just will miss him. NCAA has no shame in they're blatant hate for the Trojans.
 6 years ago '04        #823
bouncer900 
space
space
$4,011 | Props total: 87 87
yeah that's some bullsh*t
 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM         #824
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Before I resume posting and updating this thread I'd like to say

1.) this will be the only thread I post in on boxedin
2.) good to see more SC fans on here than when I first made this (I was the only one)
3.) JayDawn I'm dissapointed or confused. one of the other but it's cool.

Moving along

I will be using my WeAreSC Insider and my USCFootball.com Premium account to update this. If it wasnt for the fact that I hate what they've done to WeAreSC Forums over the past year, I probably wouldn't have come back. Hopefully they switch back to VBulletin one day.

So here goes.
 03-22-2012, 08:45 PM         #825
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

Any rumors that USC has fallen off for Michael Hutchings are completely overblown the four-star linebacker said and he even has an important unofficial visit with the Trojans coming up.

Hutchings, rated as the fourth-best outside linebacker and No. 17 overall in the early 2013 rankings by Rivals.com, will visit USC next Saturday before working out at the Los Angeles NIKE Camp.

The Concord (Calif.) De La Salle prospect said he has developed a good relationship with new linebackers coach Scottie Hazelton and hopes to keep building on it next weekend during his trip.

"They're still up there," Hutchings said. "I've been in contact with coach Hazelton, the new coach, and he reminds me a lot of coach (Joe) Barry.

"I've just been talking football with him and next Saturday I'd like to talk some Xs and Os with him, watch some film and then just talk to the other coaches. I probably talk to all the other coaches once a week. I talk to a lot of them on Wednesday morning and I talk a lot with coach Hazelton, too."

Hutchings has already taken one visit to USC and will be back. The Trojans have been considered one of his favorites for a while. Cal, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Tennessee and pretty much the entire Pac-12 has offered among other top programs.

The four-star is looking to just get a better feel for all the Trojans have to offer along with his father this weekend.

"I've been there once before and I went down with my mom last time," Hutchings said.

"This time I'm just going down with my dad. I know he wants to get a feel for the coaches, too. We all went to Cal together so I know he wants to get down to USC and see what he thinks of the campus. The decision is up to me but he wants to get an opinion of it, too."

Source:

[video - click to view]

Based on what I see in the highlights, he gets his best plays in the middle stuffing the run. In the Pac-12 the run game pales in comparison to the passing a.ssaults that will come in different forms on a weekly basis. To fit Monte's scheme you need speed and to be able to play coverage. Run stuffing is always nice but I need to see more of him in passing downs. This guy looks like he'd be beneficial to have against Oregon's spread option since he has good form once enganged with a blocker and doesn't give up on the play. Seems to have good awareness.

Last edited by -Scar-; 03-22-2012 at 09:12 PM..
 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM         #826
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

What are the top three things you are watching for during Saturday's scrimmage?

Garry Paskwietz

1) The M&M boys: Tailback starter Curtis McNeal will get his share of reps, but it will be very interesting to see how D.J. Morgan and Tre Madden do in a reserve role behind him. Both backups are intriguing, but for different reasons. Morgan is eager to show that he can be counted on as a game-breaker, while Madden wants to impress in his new role as a big back on offense.

2) Pass rush: It’s an old adage that the defense is usually ahead of the offense at this early point in spring, so it stands to reason that the USC defensive line should be able to get some pressure. The outside seniors, Wes Horton and Devon Kennard, are at the top of their games, but George Uko and Greg Townsend will need to have success from the defensive tackle spot for the unit to really shine.

3) Lamar Dawson: It would be a nice bonus for the defense if Dawson is ready to start playing like a true No. 55-style USC linebacker. Dawson had a nice freshman season to ease into the starting lineup and now he’s clearly the one in charge and calling the shots.

Erik McKinney

1) Madden at tailback: Since it's the most recent move and one of the easiest positions to watch, Tre Madden's performance at tailback will be very intriguing. The USC coaches struck gold when they moved Dion Bailey from safety to strongside linebacker. Can they do it again moving Madden away from the same linebacker spot?

2) Backup quarterbacks: It's never easy on the quarterbacks during practice, but things will go up another notch on Saturday. Lane Kiffin has been consistent in saying that Cody Kessler and Max Wittek are at similar places in their battle to back up Matt Barkley, but at some point, the a.ssumption is that one will begin to separate himself. That could happen a year from now, or it could begin to happen Saturday.

3) Offensive tackles: There was nothing wrong with the way the tackles were operating with Kevin Graf on the left side and Aundrey Walker on the right side. But it makes sense to take a look at every available option this early in spring ball. Saturday should offer a chance to see Walker at left tackle and Graf at right and we could begin to see which way works as the better combination.

Greg Katz

1) Backup quarterbacks: The obvious thing will be viewing the performances of quarterbacks Max Wittek and Cody Kessler. Kessler has impressed me the most thus far, but that isn’t to say that Wittek won’t be up for the challenge.

2) Offensive tackles: The production of the new offensive tackle tandem of Kevin Graf and Aundrey Walker, and their efficiency playing both the left and right tackle positions. A by-product will be how the inexperienced interior defensive line fares against the interior of the Trojans veteran offensive line.

3) Tre Madden: While we don’t expect him to get that many carries on Saturday, it should be intriguing to watch Tre Madden in his new tailback position, both running and catching the football.

Source:
 03-22-2012, 09:11 PM         #827
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #828
bouncer900 
space
space
Hopefully the Tre Madden move works out better than it did for Allen Bradford

The ground game needs lots of improvement for this season, because 12 total rushing TD's is unacceptable if you ask me

Last edited by bouncer900; 03-23-2012 at 07:00 AM..
 03-23-2012, 06:58 PM         #829
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think Moody is gonna have a breakout season since so much attention will be on MB7, Lee, and Woods. People will fear being beat through the air so much that it should allow soft guts on defenses to be exposed. Moody is damn good running between the tackles too.
 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM         #830
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Oh and I gotta say, this past season of SC basketball was more horrific than watching toddlers get torn apart by grizzly bears.
 6 years ago '04        #831
bouncer900 
space
space
mannnnnnnn ....
injuries to transfers....
Kevin O'Neill needs to get sh*t together
 6 years ago '10        #832
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
Whats good Scar! and thanks for the insider info man thats dope.

Who would have thought we would EVER have a RB situation :lachen001: Truth be told Kiffin took a lot of pressure off our rb's with all the screens he ran basically long hand offs. I expect a lot more of that. I was hearing that NA will get some plays as at rb as well. I just hope Woods can stay healthy, I mean we have depth their but having a Woods just puts in another echelon. I'm more interested to see what are D will look like.

Rather not even talk bball. Fire KO

I want this RB so bad.

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #833
bouncer900 
space
space
Ty Isaac

the team @ 1:10 should be ashamed of themselves for not stopping the play that was ran over and over
 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM         #834
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

The last two months have been a period of change for Scott Starr.

The Trojans freshman linebacker graduated from Norco (Calif.) High School early in order to enroll at USC for the spring semester and take part in spring ball practice sessions.

Once he arrived at USC, the Trojans coaches quickly began talking to him about moving from outside linebacker (his projected position) to middle linebacker due to a lack of depth in the middle.

There will not be a change on Saturday, however. There will be a feeling of familiarity for Starr as he gets to put on the USC uniform and take part in a scrimmage for the first time at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, a stadium he has dreamed of playing in since he was a kid.

"It's definitely crazy to think about," Starr said of playing in the Coliseum. "I just have to approach it like any other day and just be mentally prepared to go, but it's definitely exciting."

Being mentally prepared for life as a USC football player is something that Starr is quickly getting adjusted to. Gone are the days of high school, when the coaches would let you slide from time to time, when you were the big man on campus and everyone knew it. And those sweet recruiting pitches from college coaches who once wined and dined you? Those are gone too, replaced by coaches who demand that you keep up if you want to earn a spot.

"You're at the top of the food chain when you're in high school but now you need to work your way back up," Starr said. "These coaches don't care how many stars you had next to your name in recruiting, they treat you like any member of the team and if you're not keeping up you're going to hear about it."

Perhaps the biggest area where Starr has needed to keep up so far in his brief USC career is the expanded playbook. The level of information the players are required to learn is huge, and they are expected to learn it quickly.

"We put things in pretty fast here," USC linebackers coach Scottie Hazelton said. "On the first day, Scott had things down pretty good. The second day, we added more and we've kept on adding more with each passing day. He's doing all right with keeping up, but there are times that he'll forget the little things here and there.

"Those are things that come with experience. The older players are able to process the information faster, and that will come with time for Scott too. The good news is that he's studious, he asks questions and he's a hard worker. This time spent learning the system in the spring will really pay off for him by the time fall camp rolls around."

Starr said it didn't take long for him to realize how important the mental part of the game was going to be at this level.

"I didn't always know where I was supposed to be on the first day of spring practice so I just kind of followed the other linebackers," Starr said. "It's a little overwhelming with how much installation we do every day but I've got all the resources I need to learn it and it's up to me to know it."

Another added factor for Starr with his adjustment has been learning a new position. Starr expected to line up as a strongside linebacker for the Trojans, but there was a need for a backup middle linebacker behind Lamar Dawson. Therefore, the USC coaches explained that his quickest path to playing time was likely to be found in the middle.

"Coach Monte (Kiffin) sat me down and told me the best possibility to see the field was at middle linebacker," Starr said. "That was all I needed to hear."

At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, Starr has the stature to handle the physical demands of playing any of the linebacker spots, even if his future may be on the outside.

"Scott took to the change really well because he wanted to help the team," Hazelton said. "He may very well end up being an outside linebacker, but he's a good football player and we want to get as many good football players on the field as we can, so we asked him to make the move."

The ability to get into the rotation right away and get a head start on knowing the playbook is one of the big reasons why Starr decided to enroll early at USC. Instead of walking the halls of Norco High School for one last semester he will be taking part in a spring scrimmage this weekend at the Coliseum as part of his new home. It's a decision that Starr said he doesn't regret one bit.

"I miss my friends at home but this is my future," Starr said. "This was a business decision for me to come in early because football is so important. I'm very happy to be here."

Source:

I have a REALLY good feeling about this kid. His enthusiasm and commitment is gonna (or at least should) elevate him to an elite LB quickly
 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM         #835
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ty in Town

Joliet (Ill.) Catholic four-star running back Ty Isaac arrived in L.A. Thursday night, and will be in town throughout the weekend. Isaac made the trip with his mother, who according to sources in the Midwest, is the lead decision maker in his recruitment. The buzz at current date has Michigan as Isaac’s favorite, so this visit will be significant to his recruitment. With his sights set on graduating early, it’s possible Isaac commits before his senior season.

Hutchings Visit On Tap

Concord (Calif.) four-star linebacker Michael Hutchings is set to visit USC March 31. It was previously reported that he would be on campus the 21st. Hutchings says he has no plans to make a decision upon visiting USC. In fact, he has basically ruled out committing anytime soon.

Hutchings will attend the LA NIKE Camp April 1, although he wasn’t sure on the extent of his participation. He wants to compete with the best players in California, and the Northern California NIKE Camp, which will be held at Contra Costa College this year, appears to be short on talent. Hutchings has yet to meet USC linebacker coach Scottie Hazelton in person, so much of his trip will revolve around getting to know the new Trojan coaches. USC is still thought to be among Hutchings top three choices.

Joe Joe Husker

Upland (Calif.) four-star defensive end Joe Mathis was back at USC this week. Turning heads with a Nebraska Husker hat on, Mathis caught practice with Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) four-star cornerback Chris Hawkins. Unlike with Hawkins, Mathis’ recruitment appears to be evolving behind the scenes.

Sources say that USC wants Mathis, but his grades must improve by a good margin to be a clear qualifier. With 18 rides available in this class, USC cannot afford to have non-qualifiers. The buzz is that USC is not opposed to offering Mathis if he was to commit and truly end the process. He needs to get on track, and the Trojans academic game plan could help him find a clear cut path to taking the proper classes for qualification.

As of now, Mathis says he wants to continue to explore his options and enjoy the process. Despite shying away from a commitment, USC still has to be considered the team to beat for his signature at present date. Washington and Arizona State are also top contenders for his commitment at this early date with UCLA being a dark horse.

Burns Top Five

Miami (Fla.) four-star cornerback Artie Burns followed in the footsteps of Mackensie Alexander and re-opened his recruitment last week by de-committing from Alabama. The good news is that Burns top five is now Miami, Florida State, USC, LSU and Louisville. It appears Alabama is out of the running completely. The bad news is that he is a heavy lean to FSU behind closed doors. Burns says he will officially visit USC, and from what we hear, that has a good chance at standing regardless of his next move.

Facebook Strikes Again

Earlier this week Jacksonville (Fla.) running back Ben Lampley posted on Facebook that he was offered a scholarship by USC. What made the post interesting is that Lampley is an unsigned 2012 recruit. When asked about the supposed scholarship offer, sources at USC simply asked, “Who is Ben Lampley?”

It is possible Lampley was offered a scholarship by South Carolina, but it seems certain that he will not be playing for the University of Southern California on scholarship next fall.

In the Year 2012

Remember the class of 2012? While USC had a handful of recruits sign in January, the majority of the 2012 class is inching their way closer to campus each day. Most of the class is already qualified academically, but there are a few stragglers who must stay on track to get in without summer schools. Sources indicate that Jabari Ruffin, Gerald Bowman and Darreus Rogers are the three signees USC must continue to keeps its eye on.

Ruffin had to make up a class last semester and still trying to keep his overall core GPA in good shape. The same goes for Bowman, who did not pass the winter session courses he needed to qualify for midterm enrollment. Making up classes is one thing, but overloaded coarse work can result in an overall drop in GPA. With additional classes, all three signees have to still maintain a 2.8 GPA or higher this semester to qualify. Anything lower than a C will also dash any hopes of qualifying for USC. Bowman is not expected to be on campus until late June.

Uko's Reckoning

If George Uko's play during Thursday's practice and comments afterward were any indication, Ed Orgeron's letter had a profound impact. With a fiery, determined look in his eyes, Uko explained "I keep it (the letter) up in my locker now every day. I touch it every day and remember ‘touch this locker, put this helmet on, give it 100 percent every day. If you’re not going to give 100 percent, don’t come out here,'" he said.

In the Thursday practice session, Uko delivered the biggest hit of spring ball so far, crushing D.J. Morgan on a running play that elicited many "oohs" from players and onlookers unlike. When asked about the hit, he went into an impassioned monologue saying the hit reflected "That 100 percent I was talking about. Just coming every day, having that chip on your shoulder, having that mindset."

He continued "Just forgetting everything else, forgetting all your problems. It’s just George Uko and SC football right now. Mom doesn’t matter, family problems don’t matter, girlfriend doesn’t matter. None of that matters. Just myself, football, and (pointing to a tattoo) my grandpa.”

Time to hear from Trojans, golfers, or both

How many of you caught this story about a wonderful Trojan athlete, pro golfer and recent grad Lizette Salas, who's battling as a rookie on the LPGA Tour to make it. Check out this Thursday LA Times story (Full disclosure: It was written by a person with a close connection to one of us in the War Room)Lizette Salas' golf trajectory isn't exactly par for the course.

Looks like Lizette could use some sponsors. She's got one for her clothing and clubs, but she and her family are underwriting her travel, living and competition expenses themselves. And that's hardly cheap. So drop us a line at if you're interested and we'll put you in touch. Can't imagine there's a better way for Trojans to put their money where their mouths are.

Domers don't know why we say what we say

Why oh why, the guys and gals at Irish Illustrated were wondering this week, does Dan Weber not like the Irish? It puzzled them. Why does he take shots at Notre Dame? What's up with Weber and the people on the Peristyle? What did ND ever do to them?

Nothing, really. Notre Dame isn't the target here. We were glad to see, at least for Amir Carlisle's sake, and for USC's as well, that he'll be eligible now and stay in step with his 2011 Trojan recruit classmates all the way through college. This was nothing personal about Amir, or Notre Dame or its fans in any way. Heck, we even recommended to a friend from Chicago this week that Notre Dame would be a great place for her daughter to consider for college.

But for NCAA insider and ND a.ssociate AD Missy Conboy, who disgraced herself with her conduct on the Committee on Infractions in the USC case, there is mostly disdain here. But not so much for her oversight in areas of responsibility where two students tragically died as a result, in one way or another, of their interaction with the football program. That's another sad story.

No, it was just the fact that Carlisle inexplicably applied for a hardship waiver and then was even more inexplicably granted one by the NCAA in a ruling that would seem to invalidate the NCAA's long-established rule requiring transferring athletes to sit out a year unless there's some sort of serious hardship.

But worse than that, it marks the fourth USC athlete or commit to turn his back on USC and to end up at universities with representatives on the Committee on Infractions. Two ended up at Miami (Paul Dee), one at Notre Dame (Conboy) and for our purposes here, since USC coaches still have no clue as to exactly how or why it happened, we'll include the last-minute D'Anthony Thomas switch from USC to Oregon, which has law professor James O'Fallon on the COI.

Think about that. There are just five COI members representing specific schools and three of them took players from USC after the sanctions, even though O'Fallon recused himself, as a Pac-12 person and was replaced by Nebraska's Josephine Potuto. So after the NCAA sanctioned USC, all but two of the COI members from specific schools benefited from USC transfers or last-minute switches.

Makes you think COI stands for Conflict of Interest as well as Committee on Infractions? How blind are these people? Don't they know, or even care, how bad this looks? Are they so used to the insiders' influence they have as COI members that they don't even think about it? Is that just how the "transparent NCAA" that Pres. Mark Emmert talks about, works?

Will it require a specific bylaw forbidding members of the COI and their schools from benefiting from the sanctions they inflict on others? You know, like in the real world where anyone who did that sort of thing would at least feel some shame.

Say it ain't so, KO

Just what USC needed. On top of the 1-2-3 impending transfers from the basketball program announced in the last week, orchestrated by a coach whose departure many Trojans fans would welcome for reasons as many as the record 26 losses last season, this is just one more body blow.

Delivered by a fans website poster Thursday, it linked to the news that reported one of the program's incoming transfers, Ari Stewart from Wake Forest, had been arrested for possession of an illegal substance in Phoenix more than a month ago on the day of the USC game there.

Uh oh. Running players off to free up a scholarship for a player who has one more arrest at USC than minutes played seems like a bit of a risky proposition. Now we don't want to get ahead of ourselves here. But coming on the heels of AD Pat Haden's praise of Coach Kevin O'Neill March 7 in the LA Times -- "He graduates kids and the kids don't get into trouble" -- it surely makes things awkward for all involved.

Yes, we're told, USC has been aware of the arrest. In the basketball offices, anyway. Not sure how or when that awareness occurred. Haven't heard from Haden, yet. And yes, Stewart was arrested. But as of now, USC does not believe he has been charged with anything. They're waiting to see.

And no, Stewart was not traveling with the team. He got to the game on his own. USC does not travel players ineligible to play, we're told. So where does this leave us? Well, in a place worse than USC basketball was in yesterday. And that was a very bad place, indeed.

Welcome back Hunter, Kusnir

Great to see them here this spring. Hunter Simmons didn't make it through the fall season as a fullback with the Trojans but the big guy from Loyola High could be in the right place at the right time with his return this spring. Looks like he'll follow in the footsteps of another one-time walkon, Ross Cumming, who became such a valued tough-blocking linebacker-turned-tight-end-turned-fullback.

Hunter could be just about the lone tight end standing Saturday with all that's happened to the four scholarship tight ends. So welcome back.

Same for defensive lineman Kusnir. We thought the 6-foot-5, 250-pound former San Diego State quarterback and pitcher looked familiar in the distance the other day. And then we realized that No. 91 was Kusnir, who played in four games last season and is petitioning the NCAA, because of injuries suffered at SDSU, for another year of eligibility in the fall. And he's willing to walk-on again and practice this spring in case he gets it, even if it apparently is a bit of a long shot.

Tre wants to stay with . . .

"I'm staying with No. 13," Tre Madden said of his switch from linebacker to running back Thursday.

Not a problem on the practice field now where the two No. 13's on offense are in different colored jerseys -- with Madden in cardinal and quarterback Max Wittek wearing a yellow "no-hit" No. 13.

"They're calling me 'Baby Stafon,' " Madden said after Stafon Johnson, the last Trojan running back to wear the number. But only one player with the same number is allowed on the field at the same time.

So this is going to have to be worked out by the fall. Although with everything that has to happen for Madden to make his mark as a running back, solving the number problem isn't really high on anyone's list here. Not yet.

Source:
 03-24-2012, 07:03 PM         #836
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ryan Abraham of USCfootball.com joins Mark Willard to talk about the Trojans spring scrimmage going on this weekend and how the team is progressing towards the start of the season.

03-24-2012, 07:08 PM         #837
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[video - click to view]

03-24-2012, 07:12 PM         #838
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

try this again
 03-24-2012, 07:14 PM         #839
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sounds like Cody Kessler is the future of SC at QB when Matt leaves.
 6 years ago '11        #840
Chad09 160 heat pts160
space
space
$10,966 | Props total: 637 637
Can't wait for the season to start! :hyper:
Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
163 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
29 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
95 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy