The Official USC Trojans Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Opening Night MVP!!!!
most viewed right now
NBA jr smith might have new mj crying meme
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Damian Lillard removes Lil' Wayne from his album
most viewed right now
NBA San Antonio Spurs @ Golden State Warriors Game Thread: TEAM BETA Has Arrived

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who Wins?
Ohio State 10 24.39%
Southern California 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 08-25-2007, 07:16 PM         #61
Hurricane Ra 
$n/a | Props total:  
August 25, 2007

Jonathan Kay Staff Writer

Related Links:
Friday insider: Green joins mixAdams picks USCVideo: Scrimmage interviews

Talk about it in The Peristyle
USC wanted to protect C.J. Gable from his lingering groin injury. Gable wanted to protect himself from losing ground in the crowded race for playing time.

Josh Thompson
C.J. Gable returned to practice Saturday.
The sophomore tailback returned to practice Saturday, following four days off. But even during the first two weeks of fall, he had played sparingly.

He had begun feeling pressure to return.

"We have a lot of good backs," Gable said. "So, if one's not practicing, they're going to show the other one. It's like a talent, after talent, after talent. It never stops."

Coaches said they plan to give the sophomore plenty of work next week, in preparation for the Sept. 1 season opener against Idaho. Gable said he believes the team will feature two running backs in the game.

Only Gable, Stafon Johnson, Desmond Reed and Broderick Green practiced extensively Saturday, from the Trojans' pool of nine tailbacks. Allen Bradford (hip, groin) is expected to be ready by next week, and Joe McKnight (knee) could play against Idaho, if he can return to practice Monday.

Even with so many backs going down, it grew frustrating for Gable to watch his remaining competitors, while he sat, helpless to bolster his case.

"I'm a competitor, and I don't like people doing that – trying to take my spot," he said. "Why would I want to just sit there and like, 'Oh yeah, come on, do good.'

"To me, I don't want anybody to do good, because I don't want anybody to take the glory from me. So, I want to do what I have to do to get back on the field."

Gable said he "felt good" practicing today, and running backs coach Todd McNair said that is the key. If Gable's groin is going to be sore, better it feel that way after the first game than before.

"Anything can happen," McNair said. "(Thursday), we had two out of the nine that could practice.

"At least we've got him (Gable)."

Baker finding the feel

Sam Baker is feeling his way back.

The senior left tackle, who has sat out the majority of fall camp with a cracked rib, is working gradually back into the lineup. There seems to be no doubt that he will start against Idaho. But first, he needs to learn how to play with his injury.

"You compensate when you have an injury," Baker said. "You've got to get rid of that."

Baker's natural instinct is to protect his right side, which often feels like "someone's going to stab you."

He has found himself hesitant to throw up his hands to block. He also steps forward more aggressively with his left leg.

"The thing is, I can't really protect (myself) anymore," Baker said. "I just have to go."

Deep breaths still cause pain. But the 6-foot-5, 305-pound captain has grown accustomed to the feeling.

"I'm just trying to get back to my old techniques," he said.

Where's Pinkard?

Junior defensive back Josh Pinkard is going to play, and he is going to play a lot. But where?

Josh Pinkard might be settling in at cornerback.
During USC's final preseason scrimmage Wednesday, Pinkard lined up almost exclusively at safety. Afterward, he said he believed that coaches had settled on him in that role.

"That's what my natural position is, and we have great corners, so that's where I'll be at," he said, that night, of playing safety.

During Friday and Saturday practices, Pinkard lined up mostly as a first-team cornerback. After Saturday's practice, coach Pete Carroll explained the coaches' rationale.

"He seems to be more dominant on our practice field at corner," Carroll said. "He has more of a presence when he's there."

Carroll said the cornerback rotation comprises Pinkard, senior Terrell Thomas, junior Cary Harris and sophomore Shareece Wright.

Junior Mozique McCurtis has worked his way into the safety rotation, with sophomore Taylor Mays and junior Kevin Ellison, Carroll said.

"Josh will also play some safety in the next couple of games," Carroll said. "We'll just keep gathering information and see what looks best to us as we get going."

Sights and sounds

# Notable non-participants: Chauncey Washington, Hershel Dennis, Marc Tyler, Will Harris, Cary Harris, Charles Brown, Mark Sanchez.

Carroll said that Cary Harris woke up with a swollen ankle.

"He doesn't know what happened," the coach said. "It's definitely not a sprained ankle, but it was just uncomfortable for him, so it was just a good day to rest him."

Running back Joe McKnight (knee) did not wear pads, but he fielded some punts at the beginning of practice. Wide receiver Travon Patterson (toe) dressed in pads and participated in light drills for the second-straight day. Running back Allen Bradford (hip, groin) did not wear pads but caught a few short passes during positional drills. Fullback Jordan Campbell (shoulder) returned.

Washington did not have a sling holding his right shoulder in place, for the first time since he injured his AC joint in Wednesday's scrimmage.

# Quotable

-Offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian to quarterback John David b00ty at the beginning of practice, the day after b00ty's interception-less camp ended: "No more of this three-interception bullc—!"

-An exchange between safety Kevin Ellison and a fan on the sideline. Ellison and Joe McKnight both wear No. 4.

Fan: "How you feeling, Joe?"

Ellison: "I'm not Joe. Kevin Ellison. That's OK, though."

Fan: "Well, how you feeling?"

Ellison: "Good."

# Kicking it up a notch

With the field-goal competition tightening, the Trojans two top kickers have been perfect the past two days. Junior David Buehler was three-for-three Friday, converting from 20, 32 and 37. Sophomore Joe Houston was four-for-four Saturday, converting from 20, 32 and 42 during drills. He made another during 11-on-11 drills, from about 30 yards.
 08-26-2007, 08:34 PM         #62
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm definitely gonna have to get a rivals account.....real soon......thanks ra.....
 08-30-2007, 11:58 AM         #63
$n/a | Props total:  
found a nice wallpaper for you guys too if you want it...

[pic - click to view]

08-31-2007, 08:24 AM         #64
$n/a | Props total:  
Pete Carroll Discusses USC's 2007 Season Opener

No. 1 Trojans open with Idaho at the Coliseum on Saturday.

Aug. 28, 2007

USC Head Football Coach Pete Carroll Press Conference--Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Opening Remarks
"Welcome back. Here we go...I don't know if you feel like it has just flown by, but for me it has taken forever to get to this game. We are really excited about getting the season started. There's a lot of buildup and a lot of talk. We've had a tremendous process to get to this point. The team has worked really hard. The guys are together and anxious to play. There's always a rumor about playing around with each other at this time, but this really begins game week for us officially yesterday. It's just fun to have the atmosphere that the first game brings. We're really excited about having a chance to open up at home. It's been a lot of years since we've had this opportunity. It's great for the young guys who are really pumped about it and the first time in the Coliseum. I know the fans are going be all jacked up and pumped about it as well. So, we look forward to a tough start. We want to play real well and see if we can get the season under way on a really good note. I know there are a lot of questions about individual positions and who is playing and who is starting. Not all of that's sorted out quite yet. We have a lot of choices and options with guys depending on their health and we are going to figure some of those out as we go. I'm not real concerned about it because we have guys that have really competed hard and that have earned playing time. We will see a lot of guys in rotations until it becomes more clear to change that. Obviously, I felt very comfortable playing all the guys and I am going to do that again this year in a number of key spots so we can't wait to get this thing on. I'm jacked up about (Idaho head coach Robb Akey) getting his first game under his belt with a new staff, new program from Idaho. They are looking forward to a shot at us, and it's going be fun for them and fun for us so we can't wait to get the thing going."

On having fun at the Coliseum
"I think this is about as much fun as you can have as a college football player at the Coliseum and for anybody. There are people who look forward to this opportunity as our kids do, as well, and they will do anything they can to maximize this chance. I sure don't see any other side to it than that."

On whether or not USC has anything to be afraid of
"You know...I don't think it's about fear. It's about performance and really what we are up against now is how well we can prepare and get ourselves ready to do the things that we are counting on. It doesn't matter who we're playing or where we're playing. That's always how we look at it. This performance thing is really up to us. That's why practice is so important...that's why this preparation process and the middle side of things getting ready for the game, being able to take all of this preparation to game time is what we're really looking for. It wouldn't matter who we're playing."

On handling the media in Los Angeles
"I like handling it well. It's been a great trail actually. This has been an extraordinary opportunity in this media center and it's always a bit more fun for me being in California for whatever just feels more comfortable to me and the media in general has always felt like I'm always more comfortable with them than the challenges of the East Coast. It has been a good challenge. It's something I like to do make sure that we handle it well with the notoriety that we've had and the hype that we've had. We have been challenged to do this in a fashion that we can be proud of from the kids to the coaches to myself. We have a real way about it that I hope that we come across with a lot of respect for the media...we know you guys have a job. I just don't like your job description sometimes (room laughter). It's something that we want to do well and it is very important to all aspects of the university and the program."

On the health of the tailbacks
"It looks like it's going be a tough game for Chauncey Washington to make it back and I'm expecting C.J. Gable to go in this game. He's had the preparation that's allowed him to be healthy this week. Stefan Johnson is going to play. He's in good shape. He's had a tremendous camp. We will get Allen Bradford, Broderick Green, and Desmond Reed...those guys are all ready to go. Joe McKnight's going to work out today for the first time in full pads and see how he does. That's kind of where our focus is on those guys and see how they turn out. If things turn out as we see it today, C.J. Gable will start the game. He's been out there, he has the most experience of anybody really that has carried the load as the number one tailback. We will start there and then we will let the other guys play and see how they do...just as we have done in the past. I really don't have my mind set on that we have to have one guy or two guys. We like our guys' talents, we like the different things that they bring and we are going to allow them to show it and hopefully as we go through the early part of the schedule...we will get a sense for how we can use our guys most effectively."

On if Joe McKnight is cleared for today's practice
"He's cleared to practice today. He's cleared, but it's not full speed stuff today for him. He will be running around for the first time in awhile today."

On freshman Everson Griffin being a co-starter in a season opener
"C.J. Gable started last year so it has happened for us. Everson has had a tremendous impact early on. This is a fantastic athlete with a great motor. He's learned a lot from the first week to the second week he's made great improvements and he's got a chance to help us and right now. Kyle Moore has had a terrific camp as well, but we would like to use both those guys so we'll see how it goes. Again, like other positions, as the competition unfolds, we will figure out who is the most effective guy and if that is obvious. He deserves a chance to show what he can do from what he has done in the camp."

On taking previous experience as a No. 1 team and applying to current team
"I hope we understand what it's like. You know, I don't mean to make light of the fact, it's a nice acknowledgement from the people that do these polls or whatever, but it doesn't really amount to much until we start standing up for ourselves and start winning football games. There is a pitfall here, I think, if you allow it to let you think you're something that you're not and we have to figure out as we go. We have to prove to ourselves what we're able to do every week we go out there. This is an extraordinary opportunity to start the thing off right. And so, here we go, you know. In the first game, if we can get that one and get a couple games going and start to put something together then maybe there's something to the rankings. You understand how I feel about it, not until you get to then end of the season is it really significant. It can be if you allow it to be a factor that this can mess with you. I think we're pretty comfortable with it. I'd like to say that it's over the last few years it feels normal for us to be like that and I know that that may sound like I'm stepping out to say that but that is I want it to feel that way to the players so that we don't make a big deal about it and we go on about our business and do what we are capable of doing."

On if you are going to talk about Idaho
"I mean, that's kind of like beating up your wife (room laughter). Um, what do you want me to do here. Who's not here today. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter who we play. You're going to hear me speak exactly the same way regardless of who we play because it really is about how we are ready and prepared to play and that will show up and we'll find that out once we get there. Every game is a championship game for us. It has always been that way. We have never looked at it any differently and every game is of the utmost importance. We are going to get as jacked up and as focused and in tune as we can possibly get to play a great football game. We don't try to do that a few times a year. We try to do that every time we play and you can't look at your schedule in any other manner and do what we're doing and be in the philosophy that we're in. You have to take every game like it's an extraordinary challenge to perform at you very best and that's what this is. So until we see...until we're talking late at night in the baffles of the Coliseum, we won't know how..."

On how to keep team's focus
"That's why every day that we work, every opportunity that we have to get our game right is of the utmost importance. It is Competition Tuesday for us. This is a huge day for us to practice. If we battle today properly, if we do all of the things that we're supposed to do, then we take in the next step. The significance of that is focusing on what is at hand right now. That's what we're trying to do and make the very most of this day. And then if you add those days up properly and you take it to the game, then you see the result of that and whatever that is we will find out. I don't have any idea, but I know what we are shooting for. We want to play a great football game: do things right, execute the line of scrimmage, play with great tempo and great speed, chase the football on the defensive side, execute beautifully on the kicking game, and on and on and on. That's what we anticipate. Anything less than that, then we know where we are and we will work from there and take it to the next step and the next challenge the following week."

Last edited by -Scar-; 09-04-2007 at 10:07 PM..
 08-31-2007, 08:27 AM         #65
$n/a | Props total:  
On the wide receivers
"Oh, I'm fired up about it, really fired up. Patrick Turner has been exactly what we needed him to be. He has had a great spring, a great camp, he's been a leader. He's operated as the guy who has the know how and a guy that would teach every guy. He's demonstrated his effort and intensity day in and day out. We've seen a tremendous emergence from David Ausberry. He is a big time, big receiver in our program right now. He does it every day. He makes big plays. He gets the best coverage guys we can throw against him, the best tactics that we can throw at him and I think he is really pleased to be a big factor for us. Vidal Hazelton has been banged up in camp, but he's coming back to full speed now. He's had a good couple days going into the final week, but he's ready to play. Ronald Johnson has had a fantastic year and we expect to see a lot out of him. There's other guys that will contribute as well. Brad Walker has had his role that he'll play in and all of the stuff that he needed to do, but I think that the fact that David has emerged as a factor has and Ronald Johnson, his first semester has emerged as a factor for us, that really gives us a boost. The issue is none of these guys, other than Patrick, has done it in any games. We understand that and we're going to play like they've been playing all along for us. We are going go to them and work them and expect them to do the things that they've shown they are capable of doing. That's why it so important that they compete against our number one defense all spring and all fall so that they have the confidence that they can carry to the level their level of play to game time. That's the issue for us to impress upon the younger guys and we'll find out. We'll see what happens. There was a game if you remember back when Mike Williams was starting that the second game, you know, he had seven drops in that game and we kept throwing the football. Now, maybe that was stupid, but we understood what he was capable of becoming and we didn't want to back off. We wanted to force him through the experience and he came out to have a great season that year. We look at these guys. We know what they can do. We totally know and now we just got to make sure that they know it and can carry it to the games."

On number of true freshmen who are playing
"I don't look at the numbers. I don't know. You have a true freshman, you have a chance to see Joe McKnight and Broderick Green at the running back spot and Ronald Johnson has really worked his way into the receiving spot. Kristofer O'Dowd's done a really good job. He's going play in this game at center. I'm anxious to see him. He's had an excellent camp. On the other side of the ball, we've already talked about Everson, both Chris Gallipo and Malcolm Smith have had great camps. Those guys have really looked good and we'd like to see them get some playing time, so it's been a class of guys that really have come in and competed from the start. Those are the guys that have stood out. Now we got to wait and see what the season unfolds for those guys."

On getting more linebackers on the field
"We really have a variety of things that we can do and the things that we did last year are still part of what we're doing this year. We've carried that through the spring and the fall camp so we felt confident that we can have the ability to play four linebackers at a time. It's worked out really well. Brian Cushing's had a fantastic camp. He's a real force on our defense. We've moved him back to the outside backer spot, but he can play in a couple different positions. He's in the nickel package and he's doing a variety of things for us, as is Keith Rivers...Clay Matthews has been a factor as well in all of that. So we're excited that we have a lot of flexibility, and we'll apply our stuff as we see fit for our game plans and the challenge for the opponents."

On creating more pressure for turnovers
"We are just trying to get the best guys on the field that and doing things that they do really well. Kyle Moore has really emerged and Everson Griffen has really been effective. We think they are going to be effective as pass rushers and to have another linebacker on the field instead of those guys is really a discussion for us. It depends on who we're playing and what the plan calls for. Everything we're ever doing is to get the football. I mean that's everything that our defense is about is to get the ball, every call that we make, every tackle we make, every time we're chasing or blitzing or whatever we're doing. We're trying to get the football so that emphasis is hopefully only been better than it was at anytime last year. Some of it comes from the nature of the players too. We've had some real ball hawks in the past and guys that just always had their eye on the football. Last year that element didn't show up in our defense. It was obvious. It was a factor. You know, we had a big impact on the opening game. If you remember there were five turnovers and then when everybody kind of curled up and took care of the football for the next few weeks to try an avoid that from happening. I think the conscience of the other guys and our lack of the right emphasis and the right time to get the ball just caused us to have a year that wasn't as good as we want. We're all over it again...the game's situation, the score, our opportunity to chase the quarterback and rush the passer."

On aggressiveness of linebacker Rey Maualuga
"That's a good observation. There was one particular play where he missed a tackle in the backfield. That calls for recognition of `I'm wide open and here I am and I've got to get my base down and get under control and get the good football position as opposed to just running through and trying to blow the guy up'. That showed up a couple times in his play because he's so aggressive. We've drilled him specifically to those situations and he's shown different awareness about it so hopefully he'll handle that really well. You know, being a mature player, realizing your opportunities and not trying to do too much with it. It's really just a cause of him being overly aggressive on pressure or blitz situations. We think we have addressed it. Hopefully, he'll handle it well when he gets the chances."

On former players like Shaun Cody making an impact on this year's defense
"Well, this is a very capable group. Obviously, we have a lot of guys that have played. They're going to be in the right spots and they're going to play really fast and really hard. There was an extraordinary group of guys that had unbelievable savvy including guys like Lofa Tatupu, Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson. You know all those guys that were playing that just had an unbelievable sense. Those guys were unusually gifted players at just sensing the game and having an ability to cause and effect because of that. Just off of last year, my guys played really hard and played really good football and all of that, but the special plays weren't getting created as much we would like. That's why I'm still holding back. I don't know. I don't know how good we can be. I know that we're going to be a really good group. It's a great group to play with and coach and all that, but until we really are able to capture the football and take it away from our opponents then I won't be able to compare to it so we have to just wait and see."

On playing freshman Joe McKnight
"There's no part of me that wants me to hold him back. If he's ready to go and he's cleared and he can practice well and all of that, the rest of this week then we'd love to play him, but we don't know that yet...we'll have to wait and see. This is a really gifted football player that brings a lot of special attributes that we are really excited about. Hopefully, you know he'll get a chance. We'd love for him to get some playing time and get a little bit going here if we could this week, just start easing him into our offensive scheme and see where he fits. But, no, I have no excitement about waiting. The excitement is to see the guy on the field playing for us."

On fullback Stanley Havili
"I think it was obvious last year when we had all those guys get banged up, we lost a dimension of our offense that I think is a multi-dimensional offense. When you lose one here and you lose one there and you know we lost a big play ability that Reggie Bush had brought us and we lost our two back offense to a certain degree last year, so you know you start squeezing in on what you're doing a little bit. Stanley is a really really good fullback in our system. He's going to come out. He was a redshirt freshman and played a little bit last year. But he has shown the ability and the understanding of the game and natural catching and natural running ability and he's a good blocker but even more than that he's got a great sense about the game. That has allowed him to learn quickly and show us that he can do all the things that we did with David Kirtman, who became a terrific player in our system. That in itself helps us. The competition at the spot is a little surprising. We got real good competition from Adam Goodman, who came to us out of junior college and has had a great camp. He is a 240-pound fullback that can catch the ball real well and is strong and physical, as well as Jody Adewale coming back and Jordan Campbell. All those four guys have really given us a boost there at the spot. We will do as we've done in the past, we use those guys in and out and see how they fit in and see if we can create a factor with Stanley playing in the game that really helps the rest of our offense as well."

Last edited by -Scar-; 09-04-2007 at 10:06 PM..
 08-31-2007, 08:28 AM         #66
$n/a | Props total:  
On the need for balance in the offense
"Well, we want to see consistency and balance always. We want to see the quarterback really be a highly effective guy where we can count on his completion percentages, his ability to make good decisions where we don't turn the ball over. That gives us real good consistency. The balance comes from developing a confidence about the running game. That's attitude. You like to hand it to the guys that are back there. You feel good about your guys...make the kind of decisions up front that give you the chance to control the ball with the running game. You know we never are run first, pass later. We are a balanced attack and it all feeds of one another, but that's what we would like to see...real consistency and good balance. Then we know that our players will create the special plays with there abilities as they go."

On John David b00ty and the quarterbacks
"John David has had an incredible run since the springtime. The fact that he can just work out regularly with (conditioning) Coach Carlisle in the program where he couldn't do that a year ago makes all the difference in the world in his confidence and his athleticism. If you can imagine, he got operated on in the summertime and just barely made it back to campus on time. He wasn't physically fit for the season and he still played really well and had a terrific season for us. John David's confidence is up, his understanding of what we're doing, his knowledge of playing the game and all that you gain from a whole year and the experience that he had and the quality of the players he has around him that he believes in and has worked with. He's ready to go. This is as equipped we can get John David. We rested him a little bit at camp to keep him fresh and his arm really strong. He's had just great days, really. He had a fantastic camp save one day. He had a day last week that he threw three picks in the day. I think he went 330-something throws without throwing an interception, but then the defense got him three times in one day. So he got knocked off that high horse, which in a sense gave him the awareness and all that that he needs. He had a fantastic camp until now. We've really missed Mark Sanchez. It's been obvious without Mark. Mark has been there the whole time. We've gone from John David to Mark and back and forth. And without Mark in the lineup at practice it's been obvious. Michael McDonald has done a great job to catch up and doing all of the stuff to give us the offense that we need when he's in there. I wish John David would have felt Mark on his back the whole camp, I wish he would have felt that. That's just the competitive way we go about it. Mark's going to miss this game and we're pretty sure that he will get back at the next game with the two weeks off."

On current players who could be future coaches
"Yeah, I think there are a number of guys. Some guys have expressed that they're thinking about it. Other guys that would be really good coaches don't want to be any part of it. They will figure it out later. (Laughing) I was exactly that way. I had no intention of ever coaching when I was playing at all. I think there are some guys...the guys that really love the game. It's really important that they study it like crazy so they can't get enough of it. Those guys are the guys that are going to have the connection with the game that's going to be hard to separate when the time comes when they're through playing. We're really in a situation where we would love to help our guys do that. Take guys in our program and let them go out in the world of coaching because we'll keep them connected. We'll always stay after them and work with them to develop their skills in coaching and all that. Hopefully that will happen and I think there's a number of guys that will do that."

On current position battles
"There are guys battling for tackle spots, tailbacks, wide receivers. They are wide open for who is going to emerge. It's a great chance for kids to capture this opportunity. We have a significant rotation on the offensive line which means guys have a chance to show themselves. On the defensive side, we are having a seven-guy rotation and probably six linebackers in this game and play as many as seven or eight defensive backs. All of those positions are out there to be had, however, I think the running back spot, the wide receiver spot, right tackle spot and defensive end are counting on more players to compete for it. I love it. That's awesome. That's the way this program has been built and constructed on competition. It's my job to make sure these guys get an opportunity to show and don't miss it. We've had incredible rotations throughout camp. I've said this that Sam Baker would be back, but with him being out and nursing his injury, he allowed those younger guys to have to be in the starting role and boy, they grow fast...they feel that sense of urgency and accountability. It's really helped us over the long haul."

On versatility of Josh Pinkard
"Josh Pinkard is really a terrific athlete and really has a tremendous sense about himself in that he can play a lot of different spots. He understands principles and has an athletic intelligence about him that he can hold a lot of information. He has been an effective corner for us. As we added up all the one-on-one battles with the wide receivers, we took a deep look at what he was doing and saw he was real effective. He played well at safety. It gives us an opportunity to do some unusual things with him in particular and gives us a chance to move some guys around. He is a tremendous special teams player as well. It's fun to have him back in there. He's a factor and it's great to have."

Last edited by -Scar-; 09-04-2007 at 10:06 PM..
 08-31-2007, 03:59 PM         #67
$n/a | Props total:  
Bill Plaschke:
USC's Johnson makes a run with extra purpose
August 31, 2007

Big Dad showed up at nearly every practice, stood on the sidelines near that sun-splashed part of the field where running backs work. While everyone else was tearing down Stafon Johnson, Big Dad came to hold him up.

"He kept telling me I was better than what I was showing," Johnson said. "He never stopped believing in me."

Big Dad showed up at nearly every game, climbing the Coliseum steps long after most of Johnson's Compton friends and neighbors were too furious to follow him. Instead of mourning his grandson's absence from the huddle, he celebrated his resolve to stay at the school.

"He always told me he was proud of me for hanging in there," Johnson said. I'll never forget that."

For seemingly every minute of Johnson's failed first season as a USC running back, Big Dad was everywhere.

Then, suddenly, he was nowhere, Larry Mallory dying last spring of a heart attack at age 66, robbing Johnson of a grandfather, a father figure, and a best friend.

"One day he was fine," Johnson said softly, confusion still choking his voice. "The next day he was gone."

Johnson spent several days in hiding. Then he tearfully stood up at Big Dad's funeral with an announcement.

He said, despite all evidence otherwise, Big Dad wasn't going anywhere. Then he tapped his chest above his heart.

"Big Dad is going to live in me," he said. "Big Dad is going to run through me."

Five months later, that heart has seemingly grown twice its normal size, and Big Dad is flying.

When the Trojans play host to Idaho in the season opener Saturday, their two handfuls of running backs may be squeezed down to a most unlikely one, and it is Stafon Johnson.

"We have watched him grow up," Coach Pete Carroll said. "And now he is ready."

Ready to shoulder most of the carries in the wake of nagging injuries to C.J. Gable, Allen Bradford, Chauncey Washington and Joe McKnight.

Ready to be the type of Trojans running back that the inner city has waited years to spawn.

Ready to make someone proud.

"Big Dad is here right now," Johnson said after practice Thursday, finally smiling. "Running right through me."

Johnson showed up on campus last summer as the Great Dorsey Hope, the kid who could use a football to connect Heritage Hall to south Los Angeles in a way that lumbering defensive linemen just can't.

He was ready to have his superstitions-are-for-fools No. 13 jersey emblazoned in cardinal and gold.

Instead, after failing to give full and consistent efforts in fall practice, his jersey was scout-team black.

"When they put that black jersey on him, I could see his face, he looked like he had just gone crazy," said his father, Stan. "He was demoralized."

He was, it turns out, the Great Dorsey Dud.

He had the speed but not the work ethic. He had the strength but not the discipline. He was the star of scrimmages, but Carroll gives higher grades for practices.

The two USC coaches who had recruited him had left for other schools, and, at times, he felt abandoned.

"He didn't know how things worked, he wasn't sure of all the rules, and he had lost his sounding boards," said his mother, Kim Mallory. "He really lost trust in the program."

Johnson received so many questioning phone calls from reporters and friends, his mother changed his cellphone number.

There was such anger in the neighborhood, his father had difficulty finding friends to accompany him to the games.

"Coming from this city, there was a lot of pressure on Stafon," Carroll said. "He had a lot to handle."

Often in these situations, highly touted players will transfer, witness Emmanuel Moody.

But Johnson isn't like other players. Raised by a tough single mother, he has no tattoos, no earrings, doesn't even drink soda, and rarely wears a white shirt or crooked cap lest he be mistaken for a troublemaker.

Instead of hanging out with friends, Johnson hangs out in a church. Instead of running from the pressure, Johnson embraced it.

"This was my town, my city, my friends," Johnson said. "I wasn't going to leave them. Whatever I did, I wanted to do it here."

Backed by this resolve, and by a grandfather who showed up nearly every day to encourage him, the L.A. kid slowly began to figure it out. By the time the Trojans had finished their Rose Bowl victory over Michigan, he was working his way back into the good graces of the coaches.

He was, however, still a kid who had carried the ball only three times the entire season. He still needed to show the Trojans his fourth gear.

In the spring, Big Dad and Johnson's mother visited Carroll to discuss his future. Big Dad returned from the meeting to offer Johnson three words of advice.

"Run, Stafon, run."

Recalled his mother: "He said those three words over and over. He never wanted Stafon to forget them."

A week after that meeting, Larry Mallory died a death so shocking, even today his grandson isn't sure what happened.

"I was sitting with him in the hospital, he had just had some tests," Johnson said. "Then I went to the lobby for a little bit, and they came out and told me he was dead. I still don't understand it."

Big Dad's gold cross chain now rests on Johnson's neck. Big Dad's name will be forever resting on his lips.

Before taking the field, Johnson crosses himself, then looks up at the sky.

"I holler up there to Big Dad, talk to him about things, ask for help," he said.

And how does Big Dad answer?

"You can tell what he says to me by watching me play," Johnson said.

On Saturday at the Coliseum, the singularly intended words could be shared by thousands.

Run, Stafon, run.

Bill Plaschke can be reached at . To read previous columns by Plaschke, go to

Last edited by -Scar-; 09-04-2007 at 10:05 PM..
 09-01-2007, 12:14 PM         #68
$n/a | Props total:  

Between 45 - 52 points is my prediction......

We always drop a fu*kin basketball score on the first few teams
 09-02-2007, 01:37 AM         #69
$n/a | Props total:  
10 Idaho Vandals at USC Trojans
1st 2nd 3rd 4th
ID (0-1) 0 3 0 7 10 FINAL
#1 USC (1-0) 14 7 17 0 38
September 1, 2007 - Los Angeles Coliseum

Preview Recap Play-By-Play Drive Chart Box Score Photos
Scoring Summary
Drive info: 10 plays, 80 yards. 0 7
Drive info: 8 plays, 80 yards. 0 14
Drive info: 6 plays, 47 yards. 0 21
Drive info: 10 plays, 53 yards. 3 21
Drive info: 10 plays, 70 yards. 3 28
Drive info: 9 plays, 36 yards. 3 35
Drive info: 7 plays, 50 yards. 3 38
Drive info: 5 plays, 39 yards. 10 38
Team Stat Comparison

1st Downs 14 24
3rd down efficiency 4-17 8-17
4th down efficiency 2-2 2-3
Total Yards 253 420
Passing 155 206
Comp-Att 16-35 22-34
Yards per pass 4.4 6.1
Rushing 98 214
Rushing Attempts 32 43
Yards per rush 3.1 5.0
Penalties 6-55 3-25
Turnovers 1 3
Fumbles lost 1 1
Interceptions thrown 0 2
Possession 27:26 32:34

Idaho Passing
Nathan Enderle 16/34 155 4.6 0 0
Brian Nooy 0/1 0 0.0 0 0
Team 16/35 155 4.4 -- --
USC Passing
John David b00ty 21/32 206 6.4 3 1
Michael McDonald 1/2 0 0.0 0 1
Team 22/34 206 6.1 -- --

Idaho Rushing
Deonte Jackson 22 99 4.5 0 22
Jayson Bird 5 36 7.2 1 29
Brian Nooy 2 -9 -4.5 0 0
Stanley Franks 1 -13 -13.0 0 0
Nathan Enderle 2 -15 -7.5 0 0
Team 32 98 3.1 -- --
USC Rushing
C.J. Gable 8 68 8.5 0 33
Stafon Johnson 12 64 5.3 2 16
Desmond Reed 5 36 7.2 0 12
Joe Mcknight 6 26 4.3 0 21
Allen Bradford 8 15 1.9 0 6
Stanley Havili 1 10 10.0 0 10
Ronald Johnson 1 4 4.0 0 4
John David b00ty 1 2 2.0 0 2
Michael McDonald 1 -11 -11.0 0 0
Team 43 214 5.0 -- --

Idaho Receiving
Max Komar 5 28 5.6 0 10
Eddie Williams 4 52 13.0 0 29
Lee Smith 3 51 17.0 0 20
Rolly Lumbala 2 22 11.0 0 18
Deonte Jackson 2 2 1.0 0 6
Team 16 155 4.4 -- --
USC Receiving
David Ausberry 5 46 9.2 0 17
Stanley Havili 5 22 4.4 1 9
Vidal Hazelton 4 44 11.0 1 19
Fred Davis 2 49 24.5 0 35
Brad Walker 2 22 11.0 0 13
C.J. Gable 1 8 8.0 1 8
Joe Mcknight 1 8 8.0 0 8
Stafon Johnson 1 7 7.0 0 7
Travon Patterson 1 0 0.0 0 0
Team 22 206 6.1 -- --

Idaho Kickoff Returns
Stanley Franks 3 49 16.3 20 0
Team 3 49 16.3 -- --
USC Kickoff Returns
Vincent Joseph 2 41 20.5 27 0
Team 2 41 20.5 -- --

Idaho Punt Returns
Shiloh Keo 2 13 6.5 8 0
Team 2 13 6.5 -- --
USC Punt Returns
Desmond Reed 4 30 7.5 14 0
Team 4 30 7.5 -- --

Idaho Punting
T.J. Conley 8 344 43.0 56
Team 8 344 43.0 --
USC Punting
Greg Woidneck 2 86 43.0 51
Team 2 86 43.0 --

Last edited by -Scar-; 09-04-2007 at 10:04 PM..
 09-02-2007, 01:44 AM         #70
Hurricane Ra 
$n/a | Props total:  
Your depth at RB/WR is amazing. McKnight showed his talent on a few players. Don't sleep on Rojo though, once Turner comes back he won't be used very but the kids a game breaker
 9 years ago '07        #71
sonof504 3 heat pts
$5,900 | Props total: 63 63
I was kind of surprised USC only dropped 38 points. Mcknight gonna be a damn monster
 09-02-2007, 04:28 AM         #72
$n/a | Props total:  
i don't think pete really took the game too serious......just out there havin fun.......

as usual.....

really on the recievin tip I like David Ausbery and Hazelton alot.......always a solid reliable target but yeah rojo is nice too.....
 9 years ago '07        #73
sonof504 3 heat pts
$5,900 | Props total: 63 63
That catch by Hazelton was sick
 09-02-2007, 10:49 AM         #74
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah.....But At the End Of It All I Say Had That Been A Better Team Or Better Defender....Who Knows?

But The Catch In Itself.....Yeah, It Was Sick....
 09-02-2007, 01:53 PM         #75
Hurricane Ra 
$n/a | Props total:  
A couple of nice pics from the game

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

09-02-2007, 02:34 PM         #76
$n/a | Props total:  
Those Should Go In The Ownage Thread....
 09-04-2007, 10:01 PM         #77
$n/a | Props total:  
Karen Tapia-Andersen / Los Angeles Times

Brothers Marquis and Maurice Simmons continue the family linebacking legacy. They have each committed to USC.
As the youngest of the Simmons' seven boys to play the position, Dominguez High's Maurice and Marquis learn the game and what's important from their brothers.
By Dan Arritt, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
9:15 PM PDT, September 3, 2007
As the youngest of seven boys, all of whom played linebacker, Maurice and Marquis Simmons have learned their share of lessons.

Brother Melvin taught them to trust their instincts, brother Marvin demonstrated the value of quickness, brother Marlin emphasized the importance of a positive attitude, and twin brothers Marcel and Marcello showed them how to squeeze the most from their abilities.

The in-house education has been key to the development of Maurice, a senior at Compton Dominguez High, and Marquis, his junior teammate. Each has committed to USC, where Melvin, the oldest brother, was co-captain of the Trojans' 2003 national championship team.

"You want to follow in the same footsteps," Maurice said. "It's coming sort of easy to us because our brothers have already gone over certain things. . . . We know more than the average kid."

Melvin, 26, graduated from Dominguez in 1999; Marvin, 24, played for Long Beach Poly, Compton College and Kansas State; Marlin, 21, graduated from Lynwood and earned a scholarship to California before a spinal injury ended his football career. Marcel and Marcello, 19, are former Dons who play for El Camino College.

Then there are sisters Marquita, 30, Katina, 25, Kolina, 23, and Kameka, 22, who recently finished her women's collegiate basketball career at Nevada Las Vegas.

Each won a major championship during his high school or collegiate athletic career, but what makes their parents, Melvin and Kathleen, especially proud is that their children have either graduated from a university, currently attend college or, in the case of Maurice and Marquis, have solidified their college choices.

"They know the more time they spend right now making the right decisions, it will benefit them later," said Melvin, Sr., who also has a 40-year-son, Gary Dumas, from a previous relationship.

Melvin and Kathleen, who teaches at Lynwood Middle School, have raised their bunch under tight supervision and unbending rules.

Melvin has not worked full time since injuring his knees in a construction accident in 1988, allowing him to shuttle his children to and from school and keep close tabs on their whereabouts. Among the rules he sets down: His two youngest sons are not allowed to attend parties unless he can come along, and they are not allowed to have visitors at home if a parent is not present.

Melvin figures if his sons don't appreciate his discipline now, they will later.

"I tell them, 'In five or 10 more years, you're going to see a lot of your friends around the neighborhood, shooting baskets, some on drugs, some dead,' " Melvin said. "You have a chance right now."

On the field, Marquis has moved into Maurice's role at weakside linebacker, and Maurice has moved to middle linebacker. In the season opener Friday night, host Corona Centennial, ranked fifth in the Southland in The Times' preseason poll, wore down the fifth-ranked Dons as the heat, the Huskies' no-huddle offense and their standout running back Ryan Bass proved too much to handle in a 38-17 loss.

Marquis, at 6 feet 2 and 225 pounds, is bigger than the rest of his brothers were at his age. Maurice, at 6-1, 205, said he'll probably move back to weakside linebacker at USC, where he'll sometimes be matched against the opponent's fastest receiver.

"I have good speed and can actually be on a wide receiver," said Maurice, who runs the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds.

One piece of advice they didn't heed from their brothers was the timing of their college commitments. Maurice said they all recommended waiting until after their senior seasons, so they could experience official recruiting trips. However, during their visits to the Coliseum over the years, they made up their minds.

"We looked at each other during one game and said, 'This is where we want to be,' " Maurice said.

His offer from Trojan Coach Pete Carroll came last spring and, shortly after, Marquis received his. Not yet halfway through his high school career at the time, he didn't hesitate making up his mind.

"Once they gave me the chance," he said, "I jumped on it."

09-04-2007, 10:16 PM         #78
$n/a | Props total:  
It's one and done for USC in Mexico

Three of Trojans' four scheduled games on preseason trip are canceled, but players and coaches still enjoy the experience.
By Ben Bolch, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
September 4, 2007
MAZATLAN, Mexico -- It was like a business trip in which the all-day meetings were canceled after 15 minutes and the itinerary magically transformed from presentations and projections to swimming and sunbathing.

USC came to this seaside resort to play four games in two days, a grueling stretch in which the Trojans were scheduled for two late-night doubleheaders stretching toward midnight.

But the only game they ended up playing was a 102-82 victory Saturday over Caballeros de Sinaloa of Mexico's Professional National Basketball League.

USC's second game Saturday was canceled because Caballeros players were too tired for a rematch, and the Trojans' Sunday doubleheader was scratched because of a damaged gym.

So the players ended up spending more time poolside than courtside, not that any of them were loudly complaining about the siesta with the season opener still more than two months away.

"It was nice to get an unexpected vacation out of it, definitely," junior forward Keith Wilkinson said.

The players spent Sunday in the pool and the ocean at the team hotel, some of them body boarding with the coaches.

"That's way too crazy for me," freshman forward Marcus Simmons said. "I just sat back and watched. It was my first time in the ocean."

Strength and conditioning coach Rudy Hackett impressed Simmons with a flying leap off a large rock into the hotel pool. Freshman guard O.J. Mayo wasn't quite as adventurous.

"I just slept a lot," he said. "I don't like swimming and all that."

Coach Tim Floyd chartered a boat Monday morning and went fishing before rejoining his team for the flight back to Los Angeles.

The Trojans departed with deeper tans and a tougher-than-expected victory over a Caballeros de Sinaloa team that proved more formidable than the "junior college-level talent" a.ssessment Floyd had offered before the trip.

Caballeros gave the Trojans plenty of problems during a first half in which they made seven three-pointers and built a 10-point lead. But USC rallied behind freshmen Mayo and Davon Jefferson, who scored 29 points each.

"I've been playing with him a lot this summer and I know how to get it to him at the right spot," Mayo said of his ability to feed Jefferson for easy baskets.

Mayo showed a deft touch running the point and spotted up for seemingly effortless three-pointers. Jefferson looked like a versatile talent, running the fastbreak, mixing it up inside with taller big men and pulling up for smooth 15-foot jumpers.

"These freshmen are going to help our team," Floyd said. "O.J. was absolutely terrific. I thought he got everybody involved early in the game, and his passes were terrific."

There were other pleasant surprises. Freshman center Mamadou Diarra repeatedly found his way to the foul line and sophomore walk-on Ryan Wetherell displayed the ballhandling skills necessary to serve as a capable backup at point guard to Mayo and sophomore Daniel Hackett.

Every player who made the trip scored except freshman walk-on James Dunleavy. The most anxious moment might have been when players spotted a tarantula in their locker room.

"That was crazy," Mayo said.

Perhaps not as wild as traveling roughly 1,000 miles to play only one game. Still, players said the 10 days of practice leading up to the trip should accelerate the team's preparations for the season opener once practice officially starts next month.

"Even though we only got to play one game, we got to jell together really well and learn about the new guys a lot," Wilkinson said. "We're just going to be ready to go Oct. 12 and be a step ahead of other people."

Said Mayo: "We got an early start and got an idea of how the coaching is going to be and how intense the practices are. We also got to know the personnel on the team. I think it will help us a lot in the long run."

09-04-2007, 10:18 PM         #79
$n/a | Props total:  
For the fifth time in six seasons, USC has a week to heal and experiment a bit before beginning preparations for its second game. Trojans still have plenty to work on after an easy victory that lacked dominance.

By Gary Klein, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
10:25 PM PDT, September 3, 2007

[pic - click to view]

A season opener at home was somewhat rare for USC under Coach Pete Carroll.

An open date before the second game is nearly standard practice.

Time for a break
click to enlargeFor the fifth time in six seasons, USC has a week to heal, work out the kinks and experiment a bit before beginning preparations for its second game. The Trojans play No. 20 Nebraska on Sept. 15 at Lincoln, Neb.

"We love this bye," Carroll said after USC's 38-10 victory over Idaho. "We've always liked it and have a real clear intention of what we're trying to get done."

USC discovered the joys of a post-opener off week in 2002 when freshman offensive tackle Winston Justice used the extra time to win a starting job before the second game against Colorado.

Barring injury, it is unlikely that a young player will make that kind of jump this week, but the Trojans still have plenty to work on after an easy victory that lacked dominance.

"We gave up some big plays on top on the passing game and gave up some big runs -- that's not our character," senior defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis said. "So I think we have to come back and fix those things and get better for Nebraska."

Carroll expects young players who got experience against Idaho to return more confident. Center Kristofer O'Dowd, defensive lineman Everson Griffen, running back Joe McKnight, receiver Ronald Johnson and linebackers Malcolm Smith and Chris Galippo were true freshmen who played in the opener.

Redshirt freshmen playing for the first time were receiver David Ausberry, fullback Alfred Rowe, linebacker Michael Morgan, offensive lineman Zack Heberer, defensive lineman Derek Simmons and fullback/tight end Cooper Stephenson. Defensive lineman Gerald Washington, a redshirt junior, and JC-transfer fullback Adam Goodman also made their debuts.

"Now, we have to get ready to get these guys on the road in a very difficult situation," Carroll said of playing at Nebraska. "I don't know if they have more than 92,000 [at Memorial Stadium] in Nebraska. I don't know what they've got. But I'm sure it's going to be pretty crazy."

Nebraska drew a stadium-record 85,800 for the 2006 regular-season finale against Colorado. The crowd that watched last week's opener against Nevada extended the Cornhuskers' NCAA record streak of sellouts to 283.

"It's going to be loud," quarterback John David b00ty said.

Linebacker Brian Cushing will rest the sprained ankle he suffered against Idaho, joining offensive tackle Sam Baker (rib), receiver Patrick Turner (neck), cornerback Josh Pinkard (knee) and other players with nagging injuries hoping to use this week to recover.

Senior running back Chauncey Washington (shoulder) could return this week, but Carroll said there was no reason to decide yet whether there would be a three-tailback rotation with Stafon Johnson and C.J. Gable.

Freshman tailback Broderick Green was scheduled to have surgery Tuesday for a stress fracture in his foot. . . . Freshman tailback Marc Tyler, who practiced only once during training camp, will rejoin workouts Tuesday. Tyler broke his leg last season at Westlake Village Oaks Christian High.

Last edited by -Scar-; 09-04-2007 at 10:22 PM..
 09-04-2007, 10:33 PM         #80
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by -Scar-; 09-04-2007 at 10:35 PM..

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 52 followers
22 hours ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Omg wtf YOUNG MA WITH MAKEUP ON
1 day ago
most viewed right now
Video inside Can 100+ people sink the yacht in gta 5?
1 day ago
most viewed right now
Article inside Your days of watching pirated live streams may be over, thanks to Cisco
22 hours ago
most viewed right now
NBA Gilbert Arenas $111 Million Wizards Contract is Up; Can't afford Kid's Pri..
21 hours ago
most viewed right now
Target B2G1 coming back 10/30/16
1 day ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Redskins Coach Caught Peeing In Gatorade Cup During Game
1 day ago
most viewed right now
Video inside Oct 24 - 20,000 Trump supporters turn out for RALLY
21 hours ago
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy