most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Was there ever a bigger weed carrier than SliffStar
119 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '05        #101
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
 Sheeed said:
^^^yet most ppl dont play in marburys...its more of a lil kids sneakers...i havent seen many serious ballers playin in dem
Ben Wallace did last night

[pic - click to view]

Wallace joins Marbury in low-cost apparel line
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
March 27, 2007

MOUNT PROSPECT, Ill. (AP) -- Stephon Marbury started it. Now, Ben Wallace is joining the cause.

Wallace is lending his name to the Starbury Movement, endorsing an affordable line of sneakers and apparel started by the New York Knicks' star. Wallace will begin wearing the Starbury II basketball shoe Thursday when the Chicago Bulls play his former team, the Detroit Pistons. And his own sneaker -- Big Ben -- is expected to hit the market in late August or the fall.

"Kids don't really understand what it takes to go out and buy a pair of $300 pair of shoes," Wallace said at a news conference on Tuesday. "We don't understand the pressure we put on our parents when we're growing up. This is one of the things where I think the parents will appreciate it a lot more than the kids right now because it eliminates so much stress from the parents. All parents want to see their kids have nice things."

Launched a year ago, the Starbury line is expanding from 50 products to 200 -- nearly all available for $14.98 or less at Steve & Barry's University Sportswear. It includes a joggers shoe, skater shoe, casual shoe, gym shoe, woven shirts, jackets, jeans, T-shirts, shorts, hats and other accessories.

At a time when youngsters feel pressure to wear expensive brands of shoes and clothing and are even being k!lled for what's on their feet, Marbury and Wallace are trying to provide an alternative.

"Once parents and their kids begin to see that other pro athletes are getting down with this, then it just makes a world of difference," Marbury said in a phone interview. "It's not just one person doing it. Other people are wearing the shoes. Other people are putting their feet inside of shoes that they're saying are cheap."

Marbury and Wallace are not paid to endorse the products. Instead, they earn royalties on sales.

Marbury and representatives from Steve & Barry's started developing the line after discussing it over dinner about a year-and-a-half ago, while Wallace joined in about four months ago.

Marbury said adding the four-time defensive player of the year "gives the brand some credibility," and he plans to get more players involved. He hopes that, in turn, will help spread the word to children and their parents -- that there are good, cheaper alternatives. Alternatives he wishes were available when he was younger.

Growing up on Coney Island in Brooklyn, Marbury couldn't afford the top brands. So he wore "everything. No specific shoe."

For Wallace, it was a steady flow of hand-me-downs.

The 10th of 11 children and the youngest of eight boys, he grew up poor in White Hall, Ala. He knows he had shoes, but which brands? He couldn't say.

"I had to wait in line," said Wallace, who was wearing a White Sox cap, jeans, a striped short sleeve shirt and a pair of white Starbury low-top sneakers. "It's tough at times because you see everybody else getting new shoes. You want to be a part of that crowd. Sometimes, you're just not able."

But with the Starbury line and the Big Ben sneaker coming out, there are more opportunities.

Although the shoes are inexpensive, Marbury and Wallace said they're as durable as the more expensive brands.

"If you were to cut this in half, there's absolutely no difference between this and the most expensive sneakers on the market," Steve & Barry's spokesman Howard Schacter said, holding a red, white and blue Starbury II. "This provides arch support, a reinforced heal. It really is the same deal, and what Ben and Steph are wearing on court is exactly the same shoe."

Marbury said: "It's not that they're cheap; they're just affordable. Now, as we begin to sign more players, kids won't feel that burden."

Wallace acknowledged he had doubts, but they went away once he tried a few pairs.

"They last just as long as any other pair," he said. "I hope people do realize that regardless of how much you do pay for a pair of sneakers, eventually they are going to wear (out) somewhere."
 11 years ago '05        #102
QualityRecords 8 heat pts
space
space
$15,119 | Props total: 1569 1569
 ALPHABETBOY said:
I Would Never Ever Wear Starburys The Are Some Cheap a.ss Sneaks I Rather Pay $124 For My Lebrons Forget What Marbury Is Talkn Bout

King James Rule
You realize that they both cost about the same to make but Nike chooses to r*pe you in terms of price while the Starbury's are just a little profit. Having 10 pairs of Starbury's>>>1 pair of the new LeBrons.
 11 years ago '06        #103
Swishadude 5 heat pts
space
space
$9,059 | Props total: 11 11
damn i want them joints big ben was wearin. they sell those at steve and berrys?
 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM         #104
Big Dee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

i hoop in those right now. they're pretty nice. i been fu*kin em up wearin em outdoors too though. imma check out the new starburys as a replacement. the boot design doesnt look too far off
 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM         #105
Big Dee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Swishadude said:
damn i want them joints big ben was wearin. they sell those at steve and berrys?
they drop tomorrow
 11 years ago '06        #106
ItIsWhatItIs 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,679 | Props total: 203 203
i dont like the foamposites to ball, they comfortable and everything but damn, they are heavy as hell
 11 years ago '04        #107
Mysonne 1 heat pts
space
space
$14,831 | Props total: 2 2
 ALPHABETBOY said:
I Would Never Ever Wear Starburys The Are Some Cheap a.ss Sneaks I Rather Pay $124 For My Lebrons Forget What Marbury Is Talkn Bout

King James Rule
They cost the same to make, the only difference is the price you pay. Smarting up.
 11 years ago '05        #108
Sheeed 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,028 | Props total: 12 12
 ItIsWhatItIs said:
i dont like the foamposites to ball, they comfortable and everything but damn, they are heavy as hell
u are right...they are slightly heavy...but the cushioning n sh*t is unrivaled...if im playing A LOT of games then id ride with those
 11 years ago '05        #109
Sheeed 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 Big Dee said:

[pic - click to view]

i hoop in those right now. they're pretty nice. i been fu*kin em up wearin em outdoors too though. imma check out the new starburys as a replacement. the boot design doesnt look too far off
they are straight...but ive heard sh*t about the shocks support system fu*kin ppls knees up
 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM         #110
Big Dee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i used to hoop in Sheeds. i understand why he's always sprainin his ankles now

roller skates got better grip than those pieces of sh*t
 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM         #111
Big Dee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sheeed said:
they are straight...but ive heard sh*t about the shocks support system fu*kin ppls knees up
now that u mention it, my right knee has been hurtin lately when i land. damn :(

i started wearin jumper's straps, but not much help. maybe i should switch the shoes up tomorrow at the rec

Last edited by Big Dee; 03-30-2007 at 04:07 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #112
ItIsWhatItIs 1 heat pts
space
space
i like to play wit adidas, im currently playing wit these

[pic - click to view]

11 years ago '06        #113
ItIsWhatItIs 1 heat pts
space
space
i like to play wit adidas, im currently playing wit these

[pic - click to view]

11 years ago '07        #114
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,478 | Props total: 411 411
i agree wit wat marbury said but im tired a seein shoez dat look like wanna b AF1'z
 11 years ago '05        #115
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
 kraYz13 said:
i agree wit wat marbury said but im tired a seein shoez dat look like wanna b AF1'z
His don't...
 11 years ago '04        #116
Lavares 19 heat pts19
space
space
$10,387 | Props total: 28 28
 Javon23 said:
do any of yall own Marbury's shoes
i rest my case

yes i do javon......
and i still got 5 pairs of lebrons but what marbury doing for people who is poor is more important then the dumb sh*t lebron was saying...... and im from ohio so i gotta like lebron more and his game is more complete but that is some dumb sh*t to say! like nike put him up to that sh*t
 03-30-2007, 04:26 PM         #117
bonitapplebum87 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ALPHABETBOY said:
Dig My Daughter Or My Son Will Never Wear Starbury Sneaks I Understand He's Doin It For Charity But Dont Hate On The King
Nowhere in the article on the first page does it say that Starbury once took shots at LeBron; LeBron was the one who made the dumb comment about Starbury's charity. Stephon never was one of my favorite NBA but he's just made a supporter out of me. Same goes for Ben Wallace.:applause:

Last edited by bonitapplebum87; 03-30-2007 at 04:30 PM..
 11 years ago '05        #118
Sheeed 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 Big Dee said:
now that u mention it, my right knee has been hurtin lately when i land. damn :(

i started wearin jumper's straps, but not much help. maybe i should switch the shoes up tomorrow at the rec
one of my teachers was telling me that sh*t....but she still rocks her shocks
:unno:
 11 years ago '05        #119
maddnyss 
space
space
$611 | Props total: 0 0
 Big Dee said:
the king of what?
sh*t
 11 years ago '06        #120
ItIsWhatItIs 1 heat pts
space
space
 *eckounltd1972* said:
His don't...
nah he does, he came out wit like 4 different pairs of sneakers, one of them also look like new balances

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
31 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
39 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
41 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
76 comments
21 hours ago