Mar 12 - Nickelodeon Sued for $1.6 BILLION for Stealing SpongeBob Cartoon (pic)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
40 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
145 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
158 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
93 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Did Nick Steal SpongeBob Idea?

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '06        #1
5684 pageviews
88 comments

cvcxl 
space
space
space
$1,539 | Props total: 1 1
Mar 12 - Nickelodeon Sued for $1.6 BILLION for Stealing SpongeBob Cartoon (pic)

Fairfield man claims rights to SpongeBob
Cartoon character a hit television show on Nickelodeon
By Bruce Gerstman, MEDIANEWS STAFF
Inside Bay Area
Article Last Updated:03/10/2007 08:37:29 AM PST
Cartoonist Troy Walker created a comic strip in 1991 about a sponge with a personality.

Bob Spongee had eyes, legs and arms. He lived on Apple Street with his wife, Linda, and their daughter, Bubbles.

Walker, of Fairfield, then produced 1,000 dolls: yellow sponges with a "drawn-on" face that he sold as collectibles in flea markets and through the mail.

In 2002, he learned about Nickelodeon's buck-toothed animated character, "SpongeBob SquarePants," who lives underwater in the fictitious city of Bikini Bottom.

"They took all of it," Walker said this week. "I sold the Bob Spongees all throughout Northern California. It obviously fell into the hands of one of the producers of the show. It's a clear pattern of duplication."

SpongeBob's image now decorates almost any object children use from lunch boxes and sippy-cups to pillow cases and window curtains.

The 40-year-old cartoonist has filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in San Francisco against Nickelodeon, Viacom, Paramount Studios and Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of SpongeBob SquarePants.

Walker has demanded $1.6 billion in damages, alleging that the defendants used his idea without his permission.

Hillenburg could not be reached for comment. Nickelodeon will not comment on pending litigation, a spokeswoman wrote in a statement.

"However we believe this is a baseless claim," the letter stated.

Walker originally filed his complaint in August acting as his own attorney. Now the San Francisco-based law firm Nevin & Absalom has taken his case. Walker's attorney Edward Nevin, was not available to comment.

Walker's complaint lays out Bob Spongee's evolution during the recession of the early 1990s. In Walker's original concept, he drew a nose and mouth on a kitchen sponge, attached plastic googly eyes and placed the effigy in a clear bag that included a small comic strip, "Sponge for hire! Meet Bob Spongee, The Unemployed Sponge."

He said he has kept copies of the advertisements he ran for the Bob Spongee doll in the Oakland Tribune.

He cites a 2004 episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, called, "Sponge for hire!" as a piece of "undeniable proof" that Nickelodeon ripped him off.

"It is more than ironic that two working class sponges are named Bob," Walker says in his complaint. "Both characters are unemployed. Both characters live in a house concept."

Walker said he tried to work out a settlement with Viacom's attorneys when he first learned about SpongeBob. But Viacom stopped corresponding with him, he said.

Viacom's attorneys have said in court documents that Sponge Bob is different than Bob Spongee.

"Defendants' work(s) are not substantially similar to any protectible elements of any of plaintiff's allegedly infringed works," attorneys wrote in response to Walker's complaint.
Source: insidebayarea -
[pic - click to view]

http://www.insidebayarea. .. 659&siteId=181

[pic - click to view]

Nation of Millions w/ Picture of "Bob Spongee"

88 comments for "Mar 12 - Nickelodeon Sued for $1.6 BILLION for Stealing SpongeBob Cartoon (pic)"

11 years ago '04        #2
210eclectic 
space
space
$2,686 | Props total: 0 0
lol i dont even know what to write..just looking at the pic had me cracking up
 03-12-2007, 03:51 PM         #3
Mbrew457 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k Nickelodeon
 11 years ago '05        #4
gordo 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,483 | Props total: 0 0
He Has No Chance In Winning This Case
 03-12-2007, 03:58 PM         #5
danpatton420 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol, this is funny
 11 years ago '06        #6
bigkilla 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$4,582 | Props total: 5374 5374
yea i guess i could see how they stole it but did he have copyrights and all that to the character? if not wouldnt it be up for grabs?

and i think 1.6 BILLION is too much..thats just bein greedy. if viacom didnt steal it his a.ss woulda been selling those dumbass sponges at flea markets the rest of his life like the cornball loser he is and i guess he knows that so hes trying to make all the money he lost by producin that dumbass product
 03-12-2007, 04:08 PM         #7
ILLMATIC_RIDAH 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
thats just spongebobs brother who lives in the GHETTO
 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM         #8
knicks5064 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ILLMATIC_RIDAH said:
thats just spongebobs brother who lives in the GHETTO
hahaha
 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM         #9
Andre3000 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is stupid y not go for a million. Y get so damn greedy. Thats why they dont win in the first place.
 11 years ago '07        #10
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
space
$17,725 | Props total: 4479 4479
Why did he wait so long to file a suit? Man he will never win that much money!
 03-12-2007, 04:20 PM         #11
mblock 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lmao, dude was broke as hell trying to make a penny. who the hell would buy that? looks like some crackhead made it
 03-12-2007, 04:26 PM         #12
5ive_Micz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
bahahahahah @ that picture of the sponge

dude is actin like he invented the wheel, while all he did was draw on a sponge with a fat tip and make a hideous comic

Last edited by 5ive_Micz; 03-12-2007 at 04:27 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #13
Deezones 
space
space
$748 | Props total: 0 0
dude doesn't have a case.same character different concept
 11 years ago '04        #14
waggdagod 
space
space
space
$278 | Props total: 0 0
the funny thing is he said spongebob is unemployed thats not true he work for that crabby place with the lobster for his boss lol. Plus I don't 1.6 billion is to much if they actually stole it spongebob probally brings in hundreds of millions a year hes on everything for real. So if he aim high and they bring it low he can still get a couple of million but honestly he has no case lol, is just a sponge with marker on it lmao SHARPIE SPONGE.
 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM         #15
mykedizzle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Bob Spongee looks like some bullsh*t
 11 years ago '05        #16
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72
space
space
$15,376 | Props total: 3 3
I hate idiots like this who always try their Get Rich Quick Schemes and fail.
 11 years ago '05        #17
DtownThugsta313 
space
space
$3,125 | Props total: 2 2
i think this dudes lyin lol spongebob has been out for like 6 years now and he just now suein em about it come on now if somebody stole somethin from me i aint go wait 6 years to sue em
 03-12-2007, 06:45 PM         #18
jpass28 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I pooped 10 years ago, South Park stole the idea of Mr Hankey from me.
 03-12-2007, 06:45 PM         #19
jpass28 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I want 3.8 trillion dollars by tommorow evening, thank you.
 11 years ago '05        #20
rshodunke 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,445 | Props total: 210 210
Talk about a hell of a makeover. In 92', he couldn't even afford pants, now 15 years later, pants and a bowtie. The American Dream is possible after all.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
65 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Bannon looks like a DISHEVELED DRUNK that wondered on stage
15 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
105 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
61 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
26 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
114 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy