The San Diego Chargers Thread.

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
31 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
91 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
211 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
80 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-18-2008, 04:41 PM         #181
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Hustler_101 said:
cant wait to see Paul Oliver develope next year and Naanee break out.

Yeah I Think Naanee Will Be A Suitable Replacement For Turner...
 02-22-2008, 12:23 AM         #182
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
All Real Bolt Fans Should Check Out The Podcast At Bolttalk.com

10 years ago '04        #183
Hustler_101 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,687 | Props total: 311 311
hey guys, we added a more LB depth, signed former 49er LB Derek Smith
 02-27-2008, 04:04 PM         #184
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Future free agents likely to seek suitors
By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 27, 2008

The storm is coming, far enough away that its harshest winds can't be felt, yet close enough that preparations are under way.

The air is calm now, but dark clouds are forming, and a breeze makes A.J. Smith pull his coat tight, fix his steely gaze on the horizon and for a moment express moderate concern.

Advertisement
“It will get harder,” the Chargers general manager said.

The NFL free-agency period begins Friday at 9:01 p.m., and no big-name free agents will be coming to San Diego. The team that lost in the AFC Championship Game has all but two starters returning, and those replacements are already on the roster.

The Chargers are largely set.

For now.

While their nearly $23 million in space below the salary cap is their most in Smith's six-year tenure, they won't spend much of that money on free agents.

Not only do they not need a new front-line player this year, they are going to need every penny they have in the coming years.

“Everything plays in,” Smith said. “You can rearrange your future.”

The team that has signed more of its own young players to long-term contracts than any other in the NFL faces an unprecedented conglomeration of its stars being on the verge of demanding and receiving big money – either here or elsewhere.

The difference between what Smith, team President Dean Spanos and Vice President Ed McGuire were able to pull off in those 20 renegotiated deals since 2004 and what they face in the coming years is the volume and quality of players and the staggering money it will take to sign them.

“We will lose players,” said Smith, who is constantly looking two and three years ahead when a.ssessing his team.

The contracts of five young starters, all of whom have been voted to at least one Pro Bowl, must be addressed soon. And that doesn't count the looming contract expirations of defensive end Igor Olshansky after the 2008 season and defensive end Luis Castillo and wide receiver Vincent Jackson after '09.

At least one of those eight players – likely more – is going to be a former Charger at some point.

“When you have great players, you know you are going to lose some,” Smith said last week at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, where the Chargers commenced extension talks with at least one agent for one of those starters. “ . . . It usually gets more difficult with the more success you have and the greater the players.”

The contracts of left tackle Marcus McNeill, linebacker Shawne Merriman and quarterback Philip Rivers expire after the 2009 season. After 2010, the contracts of cornerback Antonio Cromartie and tight end Antonio Gates are up.

While 2010 seems like a long way off, the urgency of getting to the table with Cromartie and Gates is almost equal to that of the 2009 trio.

Cromartie, after a season in which he led the league with 10 interceptions, is perhaps in line to become the NFL's first $100 million cornerback. The contracts of a few other top cornerbacks – none with the upside of Cromartie – will likely continue to climb near that level, and the Chargers do not want to wait too long. They will likely get serious in talks with Cromartie's agent after this season.

Gates, who will have toe surgery this week, has made three Pro Bowls since signing his relatively modest contract before the 2005 season. He is among the best tight ends in the game, and would be justified in feeling underpaid. Sources said he is searching for a new agent.

As for McNeill, Merriman and Rivers, all acquired in drafts between 2004 and '06 and all due to be free agents after 2009, a few factors add to the intrigue of their coming due at the same time.

They all play crucial positions, Merriman is a bona fide star in the league and the other two have that capability, and all three have big-name agents who have in the past tangled unpleasantly with Smith.

It does, of course, take both sides to get a deal done. But the longer the team waits – provided the players in question continue to perform at a high level – the more the team will have to pay, as other deals with top players push the market higher.

“I'm aware of the market,” Smith said. “It means nothing to me.”

It is a fact, however, that the market shapes what a player will ask for and what he will ultimately get. Historically, the Chargers have paid what they have wanted to pay (and nothing more) for most of the players Smith has signed over the past four years. Interestingly, though, the two exceptions have been top-flight players. In 2004, the Chargers made LaDainian Tomlinson the league's highest-paid running back. And last offseason, after essentially extending their final offer and having left guard Kris Dielman in Seattle almost ready to sign with the Seahawks, the Chargers upped their offer again and came to terms with Dielman. Still, Dielman accepted less than he could have gotten in Seattle or Cleveland because he wanted to stay.

Will Merriman do that? McNeill? Jackson? Cromartie?

Agents for some of the eight players were mum on the record about their clients' options and desires for future contract numbers. But suffice it to say that, as of now, they plan on getting market value for their clients.

“The numbers we wanted were acceptable to a lot of guys,” Smith said. “We deal with a lot of people. . . . I don't know what the dollar signs will be. This happens to great players. They are in position to go to free agency and get tremendous deals.”

Kevin Acee: (619) 293-1857;
 02-29-2008, 12:33 AM         #185
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
By Michael Lombardo
SDBoltReport.com

The Bolts will lose the best backup running back in the NFL this offseason when Michael Turner sells his 5.5 ypc to the highest bidder. But don’t expect A.J. Smith to scurry in search of a replacement. Tyronne Gross is more than ready to split time with Darren Sproles as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup.

The Chargers signed Tyronne Gross as an undrafted free agent on May 10, 2006. The fact that he is still around nearly two years later is a testament to his talents. Although he has yet to see action in a regular season game, Gross has been impressive in preseason play, carrying 22 times for 102 yards (4.64 ypc).

Gross has always impressed when given the opportunity. As a senior at Eastern Oregon, he set the school single-season record with 1,223 rushing yards (135.9 yards per game) and chipped in 12 touchdowns. He was named the Frontier Conference Player of Week after 161-yard, three-touchdown game against Whitworth College.

Gross (5’9”, 213 pounds) is the brand of powerful, north-and-south runner the Chargers need to replace Michael Turner. Gross runs with terrific body lean and insatiable determination, making him an ideal candidate for short-yardage and goal-line situations. He also has the durability to be an every-down back if LaDainian Tomlinson is injured again.

The Chargers feel comfortable working Gross into the rotation because Tomlinson will be rested by committee next season. Gross will have the opportunity to earn some carries, but so will Darren Sproles and Andrew Pinnock.

Sproles actually carried the ball more than Turner over the final six games of the regular season, 35-34. Pinnock will see limited carries if the Chargers release Lorenzo Neal, but Pinnock could still get some touches out of one-back sets. That was the formation he was most effective in at South Carolina.

That does not mean the Chargers will not bring in another running back this offseason. A.J. Smith places a high premium on depth and wants to ensure there is no drop-off after Turner’s departure. One Chargers scout confirmed during Senior Bowl week that running back will be a “top priority” this offseason.

However, the Chargers might find no option better than Gross. The team has already used its selections in rounds two through four, so if San Diego doesn’t draft a running back early it may struggle to find a runner with Gross’ combination of speed, power and vision.

The Chargers made sure to hang on to Gross over the years despite having no opening at running back. He was stashed on the practice squad in 2006 and on the injured-reserve list in 2007. In 2008, the opening Gross has been waiting for will finally be there. All that’s left is for him to seize it.

-NFL Network reported Scott Mruczkowski
Has extended with the Chargers for 3 more years. This was on the "scroll bar" at the bottom of the TV, not sure if anybody else saw this. This was around 4:00 pm PST

-Shane Olivea & Lorenzo Neal Were Cut....

-LB Derek Smith Was Signed 2 Days Ago...

Last edited by -Scar-; 02-29-2008 at 12:36 AM..
 10 years ago '05        #186
rellish 
space
space
$2,080 | Props total: 1157 1157
Yall hear that Kassim Osgood is gonna sit out the next practices because he's tired of running routes if all that he is gonna be doing is Special Teams.

I agree, aint no reason to waste his body runnin routes for no reason, but maybe its a good thing, because to me he does need to be used more in our passing offense, considering that he is a big target, and he can make excellent blocks in the running or pass route game.
 04-01-2008, 07:31 PM         #187
-Scddar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^kassim is being a whiny lil bi*ch right now
and we got bigger concerns
 04-26-2008, 05:13 PM         #188
-Scddar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Welcome To San Diego Antoine Cason
 04-28-2008, 12:22 AM         #189
-Scddar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i swear you guys better learn to appreciate hester
i gota great feeling about this guy
he fits right in

but we have to decide whether we keep pinnock or not
who i'm not totally sold on
 04-30-2008, 12:04 AM         #190
-Scddar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

5:01 p.m. April 29, 2008

Chargers a.ssistant General Manager Buddy Nix is no longer with the team, league sources confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

The Chargers are expected to announce that Nix, 70, retired. It is unclear whether the parting was amicable.

Neither Nix nor Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith was immediately available for comment.

Nix had been with the Chargers since 2001, arriving with then-GM John Butler and Smith, who was then the a.ssistant GM.

Nix served as director of player personnel before being named a.ssistant general manager when Smith was promoted to GM in 2003. He has overseen pro and college scouting.

Nix is well-regarded as a talent evaluator and has been in the NFL since 1993, when he was hired as a scout by the Buffalo Bills.

It was just Saturday that Nix addressed the media regarding first-round draft pick Antoine Cason
 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM         #191
Javon_Johnson  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
" I started this Chargers sh*t, and this the motherf*cking thank I get"

Been a minute...

I know a lot of people weren't too happy with the draft but I was. We filled our 2 biggest holes with 2 above average players.

If we don't at least win the AFC this year I think I'll be more disappointed than '06 and '07 combined.
 10 years ago '05        #192
rellish 
space
space
 Javon_Johnson said:

If we don't at least win the AFC this year I think I'll be more disappointed than '06 and '07 combined.
Real talk

Everybodys familiar with their roles, but thiss year I hope Ladainian runs more effectively downhill on better blocks from our line, after that, we can guarantee another MVP year puttin up TD after TD.

We Definately got the Division for atleast the next 2-3 years, so Im jus pretty much waitin for the Playoffs

Last edited by rellish; 05-29-2008 at 04:45 AM..
 05-29-2008, 07:35 PM         #193
Javon_Johnson  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Word.

Not only will everyone on offense be 100% but LT has a fire in him right now like never before. I just hope the losses of Neal and Turner won't hurt us.
 10 years ago '05        #194
rellish 
space
space
Damn, if we could somehow get Travis Henry for cheap, oh boy! Tell me that wouldnt be a nasty combo wit L.T.!!
 06-11-2008, 11:59 AM         #195
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Javon_Johnson said:

I Kept It Alive And By Far Have Been The Most Active Bolt Reppa On This Board...:cool:
 9 years ago '05        #196
southeast619ray 
space
space
$15 | Props total: 0 0
Whats good fellow Charger heads? I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I usually only come to this site for albums but since there aint many of us here I'ma try to come here more often and help yall hold it down for the bolts.
 07-01-2008, 06:06 PM         #197
-Scar-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this thread is so dead without me...
 9 years ago '05        #198
blk9ne5ve 
space
space
$389 | Props total: 2 2
can't wait for the season to start !
 9 years ago '04        #199
Hustler_101 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,687 | Props total: 311 311
Rest in Peace Terrance Kiel.
 9 years ago '05        #200
rellish 
space
space
 Hustler_101 said:
Rest in Peace Terrance Kiel.
R.I.P.

that man used to do me some good service and win money for me in Madden
Home      

most viewed right now
joie chavis
34 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
88 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
52 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC — Watch Season 10 Teaser
57 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who are these washed up niggas next to Drake?
66 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Ashamed Of Pixel Sales, Google Begins Hiding Pixel Launcher Install Count In P..
4 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
189 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
71 comments
2 days ago