do you believe this tweet? : ''real freaks work at the hospital"
104 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Queen Bee Looking the worst she has ever looked
39 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jan 15 - There's a way to get rid of Trump without impeaching him
45 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '06        #261
Honolulu Blue 29 heat pts29
space
space
$16,809 | Props total: 282 282
laid an egg against zona, they didnt even play that great but they still won with relative ease. we cant play on the road. so we need homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

the only positive thing about losing that game, marinelli is going to make them work a lot harder in practice and prepare them for this tough stretch.
 12-10-2007, 09:59 PM         #262
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
man we shoulda won that one against dallas but oh well....hopefully we get a good 3 game win streak goin and reach the playoffs, if not then we should look at some DBs and new coordinators
 12-30-2007, 06:09 PM         #263
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
REPORTS: Lions to fire Martz; WR coach to take over offense
December 30, 2007

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

The Lions are set to fire offensive coordinator Mike Martz after today's season-ending game at Green Bay and replace him with receivers coach Kippy Brown, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing anonymous sources.

The report was confirmed by ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen on Saturday night.

Advertisement

The Times reported that the San Francisco 49ers are expected to pursue Martz to take over for first-year offensive coordinator Jim Hostler.

Martz's agent, Bob LaMonte, had no comment when contacted before the report came out Saturday. A message was left for Lions spokesman Bill Keenist late Saturday night.

Martz came to the Lions in February 2006 after being fired as head coach by the St. Louis Rams, bringing his high-powered "Greatest Show on Turf" offensive plan to the Lions.

The offense was supposed to be the Lions' strength this year. Before the season, Martz said of the team's offensive talent: "We don't feel short anywhere."

But the unit underachieved and was unbalanced. Instead of carrying the defense, it often made things harder for it. The Lions ranked 22nd out of 32 teams in total offense in 2006 and were 19th this season, entering Saturday.

Brown is in his second season as the Lions' receivers coach. He was the Miami Dolphins' offensive coordinator in 1998-99 under coach Jimmy Johnson.

He was reportedly the top candidate for the offensive coordinator job at the University of Tennessee.

Head coach Rod Marinelli and Martz declined during the week to discuss Martz’s status.

"The timing of this and discussing those kinds of things, I’m just not comfortable with right now,” Martz said Thursday. "Whatever’s going on, we’ll visit that at the end of the season."

Everyone knows Martz loves to throw the ball. The NFL is a passing league. The Lions are built to be a passing team. But the degree to which the Lions were unbalanced was historic.

The NFL record for fewest rushing attempts in a game is six. The Lions had games with seven, eight and nine rushing attempts.

The offense is a big reason games spiraled out of control and the Lions became the first team since the 1990 Browns to lose four games by more than 30 points.

Not everyone has the talent -- or the stomach -- for Martz's aggressive approach. It's high-risk, high-reward, and we saw more of the risk than the reward this season.

"I'm disappointed that we haven't achieved what I hoped we would," Martz said. "We've made good progress from last year. We really have. But not as much as I would have anticipated.

"So from that standpoint, I'm disappointed, not in anything other than that. The only person to blame is myself, and that's how I feel about that."

Martz is the same guy who won a Super Bowl as a coordinator and went on to another as a head coach in St. Louis.

The Lions have made a huge investment in him, signing small, quick receivers like Mike Furrey and Shaun McDonald, drafting players from running back Brian Calhoun to receiver Calvin Johnson to quarterback Drew Stanton. For two years, we have heard how hard it is to learn the system.

Now, the Lions will be starting over yet again -- at a time when they need to overhaul their personnel on defense.

12-30-2007, 06:26 PM         #264
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^^^ thats good news to us lions fans
 9 years ago '05        #265
airmcnair06 18 heat pts18
space
space
$6,001 | Props total: 0 0
i dunno if this was really the coaches problem.....

i woulda gave him another year before firing him.

has he been fired yet?

*goes to google news*
 01-14-2008, 07:02 PM         #266
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
FORMER SUPER BOWL MVP: Taking over for Matt Millen would be a 'wonderful challenge'
January 14, 2008

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

Does Joe Theismann want Matt Millen's job?

Theismann said on Chicago radio station WSCR that Detroit Lions president Matt Millen "hasn't helped former players get into management because he's done a lousy job."

Advertisement

Theismann, who was recently axed by ESPN from "Monday Night Football" and replaced by Ron Jaworski, also said: "Could I or anybody do a better job (with the Lions)? I don't know. But it would be a wonderful challenge."

Theismann, a former Redskins QB, was the NFL's MVP in 1983 and led Washington to victory in Super Bowl XVII.

01-14-2008, 07:03 PM         #267
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lets hope and pray
 9 years ago '05        #268
D-BLOCK4LIFE 
space
space
space
$1,111 | Props total: 0 0
Kowalski: Rogers isn't going anywhere -- yet
by Tom Kowalski
Wednesday January 23, 2008, 2:43 PM

Despite a television report that the Detroit Lions have already decided to part ways with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers -- either by cutting him or trading him -- a source close to the team said the club has yet to make any decision on Rogers' future in Detroit.

It's clear that head coach Rod Marinelli was extremely upset with Rogers' production and intensity during the team's playoff drive last season and every indication was that Marinelli didn't want Rogers to return in 2008. However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind about Rogers' situation:

--- Marinelli becomes a different person once the football season ends. During the season, Marinelli's entire focus is on the games and he's very emotional and passionate. Once the season is over, though, Marinelli becomes more clinical in a.ssessing the players and the emotion is taken out of the evaluations.

--- Even if Marinelli is still convinced that Rogers must go, Marinelli doesn't make the final personnel decisions -- that job belongs to president Matt Millen and Millen isn't ready to dump Rogers. Not yet anyway. As frustrating as Rogers can be with his weight problem and low-intensity attitude, he's still a tremendous talent who demands constant double-teams when he's on the field. And he led the team with seven sacks -- a career high.

--- The Lions have a slew of needs to fill on defense -- at least one defensive end, a middle linebacker and two cornerbacks -- and the team doesn't want to create another vacancy if they can avoid it.

--- Three months ago, it appeared Damien Woody would never suit up for the Lions again, either. Woody had angered the coaching staff and lost his job and they were ready to move on without him. There wasn't much in Woody's recent history to indicate that he would bounce back, but that's exactly what he did. Now the Lions are hoping to re-sign him to the club.

--- If the Lions do come to the conclusion that Rogers must be cut or traded, they aren't going to do anything until they have to. They'll wait as long as possible to work some kind of a trade either involving a veteran player or a draft pick. The Lions don't want to give him up for nothing and that's why releasing him would be a last resort. The Lions owe Rogers a $1 million bonus on March 2 so it's possible a final decision could come before that time. It's also possible the Lions will pay the bonus and keep Rogers and see how he responds in training camp -- one more last chance -- before deciding what to do.

03-09-2008, 01:01 PM         #269
Ubiquotous 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The Lions reportedly plan to use TE Michael Gaines, who signed a four-year, $10 million deal last week, as a blocking back

he Lions have made a number of suspicious moves, including letting running back T.J. Duckett and right tackle Damien Woody sign elsewhere, throwing $10 million at a tight end named Michael Gaines from the Buffalo Bills who'll apparently serve as a blocking back in Detroit, and signing or re-signing a group of players who're special teamers or backups.

Lions agreed to terms with OT George Foster on a one-year contract

Last edited by Ubiquotous; 03-09-2008 at 01:03 PM..
 9 years ago '04        #270
.Mase Da Rula.|M 1 heat pts
space
space
$25,441 | Props total: 61 61
Lions Team Report

Yahoo! Sports 55 minutes ago

Send
Email IM
del.icio.us digg Yahoo! Bookmarks
Yahoo! Buzz
StumbleUpon Google Bookmarks
Print
* Text Size:

Default:
A
Large:
A
Larger:
A

Inside Slant

The Lions didn’t sign Asante Samuel. They showed interest in Drayton Florence and Randall Gay but didn’t get them, either. But they moved quickly to address their biggest weakness—the secondary.

They released cornerback Fernando Bryant and re-signed cornerbacks Travis Fisher and Keith Smith. They acquired cornerback Leigh Bodden in a trade with Cleveland. They signed safety Dwight Smith and cornerback Brian Kelly and signed safety Kalvin Pearson, a restricted free agent, to an offer sheet.

Bodden is coming off the best season of his career statistically—16 starts, six interceptions, three fumble recoveries—and he expects to play a large role.
ADVERTISEMENT

“I want to be the guy,” Bodden said. “That’s what I plan to do here. … Detroit, they had a pretty good season, first eight games, and then kind of fell off. I want to help the team get over that hump and make the playoffs.”

Smith, Kelly and Pearson all have played for Tampa Bay, and coach Rod Marinelli, defensive coordinator and secondary coach Jimmy Lake all have coached for the Buccaneers. Marinelli said familiarity with players was “a big positive.”

So did Smith.

“I already know Rod Marinelli and I know the type of ship he’s running, and Joe Barry was basically in the next room from me for four years while I was in Tampa,” Smith said. “Just the familiarity with everybody and to know they’ve got that headed in the right direction. I would love to be a part of the turnaround of the franchise.”

Smith said he could be like a coach in the locker room and on the field.

“Outside of making plays on the field, I feel like I could be a guy who lets guys know that this system really works,” Smith said. “I’ve been in this system, won a Super Bowl in this system and seen a lot guys make a lot of plays and make a lot of money and make a lot of Pro Bowls in this system.”

Barry sounded excited about the additions of Bodden and Smith—before Kelly was even added to the fold.

“They improve us,” Barry said. “They make us better. You say, ‘Well, how do they make us better?’ Well, you simply just look at the production.”

But Barry would like to add another corner in free agency.

“I’m greedy,” Barry said. “I want to get as many good football players as we possibly can. So, yeah, hopefully we’re not done.”

Pearson’s deal is for three years and worth $3.5 million, with a $1.1 million signing bonus. If the Buccaneers don’t match, the Lions land Pearson and don’t have to give up any draft choice compensation.

Notes, Quotes

• First, the Lions traded defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to Cincinnati for third- and fifth-round picks. Then, they traded him to Cleveland for a third-round pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden. The Lions had been talking to the Browns, but Cleveland general manager Phil Savage wavered. “Ultimately they found a different trading partner, and we essentially thought it was over with,” Savage said. “I texted Matt and said, ‘Hey, congratulations. If something changes or something were to happen, you know, let us know.’ And about five o’clock (that) night he called me back and said that the trade had not worked. It had fallen through. Would we still be interested? And we were.” The NFL nixed the Cincinnati trade because it did not approve of language in the agreement.

• Rogers’ agent vehemently denied his client chose Cleveland over Cincinnati. Booth Newspapers reported Rogers helped nullify a trade to Cincinnati and engineer a deal to Cleveland, because he wasn’t willing to move back a $1 million roster bonus for the Bengals and then agreed do it for the Browns. But Rogers’ agent, Kennard McGuire, said Rogers was never asked to move back the bonus for any particular suitor. He said Rogers agreed to move back the bonus so the Lions could have more time to work out a trade. “There was no preferential treatment here,” McGuire said. “We felt all along that a change of scenery would be best for the Lions and Shaun Rogers. Had we not moved back the bonus, Shaun would still be property of the Detroit Lions.”

• Apparently the Rogers trade was bittersweet for Millen, but sweet for Savage. Asked about Rogers’ problems in Detroit, Savage said: “That’s a lot of talk out there. Obviously we’ve talked to Shaun about him coming to Cleveland, that possibility. He seemed to be excited about it. I think the situation, the environment, this will be a fresh start, a new lease on life for him. Matt Millen would say the same thing. He loves Shaun Rogers, and he told me yesterday, ‘I’ve already told my people, “Now that they’ve added Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams together, wow.” ‘Because he really thinks a lot of Shaun. But unfortunately it wasn’t going to work out there for him, so he needed a change of scenery.”

• Tight end Michael Gaines signed a four-year deal worth $10 million with $3 million guaranteed. He is known for his blocking, but he considers himself an old-school tight end who can catch the ball, too. “I have an opportunity to be the guy here,” Gaines said. “This gives me an great opportunity to put my mark on the game.” The Lions already have a starting tight end, Dan Campbell. But Campbell is recovering from a serious elbow injury. “We’ll gel,” Gaines said. “When he gets here, we’ll party.”

• Gaines, a four-year veteran who played in Buffalo last year, visited Kansas City before Detroit. What attracted him to the Lions? “Really, the 6-2,” Gaines said. “Detroit’s always been a team always almost there, even back in Barry Sanders’ days. It was almost getting to this, almost getting to that. I believe in the vision of the coach.” What about the 1-7 finish? “No, that didn’t drive me away, because every team has their little letdown or whatever,” Gaines said. “I’d been a part of that before, but hopefully I can be a piece of that puzzle and help them get over the top.”

Quote To Note: “You know that they’re not being the same, old Lions, because when I was growing up, we always felt that the only reason we didn’t get over the top, we didn’t try to spend the money on the right players.”—S Dwight Smith, who grew up in Detroit, after signing with the Lions.

Strategy And Personnel

Franchise Player: None.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

• S Idrees Bashir could be back because the Lions need depth in the secondary.

• RB Tatum Bell was left out of the lineup the last 11 games last year, but the Lions are trying to re-sign him. He probably will leave.

• OT George Foster struggled at right tackle and was benched multiple times—finally permanently. Won’t be back.

• DE Corey Smith is a valuable role player who finds ways to make plays. Rod Marinelli wants him back.

• OT Barry Stokes was signed late in the season when the Lions had problems on the offensive line. He was cut earlier, though, and probably won’t be back.

• WR Troy Walters was a solid fifth receiver and return man. The Lions would like him back.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers)

• DB LaMarcus Hicks (not tendered as ERFA) has been unremarkable, but he could be brought back for depth.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

• DL Langston Moore (tendered at $927,000 with 6th-round pick as compensation) was a valuable role player with a knack for making players. Marinelli will want him back.

• QB Dan Orlovsky (tendered at $927,000 with 5th-round pick as compensation) has gotten virtually no chance to play since being drafted in the fifth round in 2005. The Lions might want to see what they’ve got.

• G Stephen Peterman (tendered at $927,000 with 3rd-round pick as compensation) beat out Damien Woody for the starting right guard job. The coaches love his toughness.

• CB Stanley Wilson (tendered at $927,000 with 3rd-round pick as compensation) has not developed as expected. He lost his job as a starting corner in 2007. But he’s a young player, and the Lions need depth.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

• DB Greg Blue played well in a brief stint at safety and could be brought back for depth.

• WR Devale Ellis spent 2007 in the physically unable to perform list with a knee injury.

• TE Sean McHugh started at tight end after Dan Campbell was injured in 2007. It is unclear how he fits into the Lions’ plans now that Campbell is healthy and Mike Martz is gone.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

• CB Leigh Bodden (trade Browns).

• DT Chuck Darby: UFA Seahawks; 3 yrs, terms unknown.

• TE Michael Gaines: UFA Bills; $10M/4 yrs, $3M guaranteed.

• OG Corey Hulsey: FA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

• CB Brian Kelly: UFA Buccaneers; 3 yrs, terms unknown.

• S Dwight Smith: FA Vikings; $5M/2 yrs, $350,000 SB/$300,000 reporting bonus; 2008 cap: $1.825M.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

• RB Aveion Cason: UFA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

• CB Travis Fisher: UFA; $9M/3 yrs, SB unknown.

• CB Keith Smith: Potential UFA; $5M/2 yrs, SB unknown.

• TE John Owens: UFA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

PLAYERS LOST

• LB Boss Bailey: UFA Broncos; $17.5M/5 yrs, $4.35M SB.

• CB Fernando Bryant (released).

• RB T.J. Duckett: UFA Seahawks; $17M/5 yrs, $5M guaranteed.

• LB Teddy Lehman: UFA Buccaneers; terms unknown.

• QB J.T. O’Sullivan: UFA 49ers; $645,000/1 yr, $40,000 SB.

• DT Shaun Rogers (traded Browns).

• T/G Damien Woody: UFA Jets; $25.5M/5 yrs, $8.75M guaranteed.
 03-13-2008, 03:37 PM         #271
genuwineplayer 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
now theyre saying we're getting rid of jones, there goes any running game we had
 9 years ago '04        #272
D.A.R.S. 5 heat pts
space
space
$10,485 | Props total: 460 460
 genuwineplayer said:
now theyre saying we're getting rid of jones, there goes any running game we had
Kevin Jones already is gone man.....I think we might try to get Rice in the draft, would be a decent back
 9 years ago '04        #273
LinkBoi 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,181 | Props total: 21 21
we're going 10-6 this season we're apolished team thi year just wait and seee ya heard me
 8 years ago '05        #274
b_eazy 58 heat pts58
space
space
$16,657 | Props total: 955 955
I cant believe we let the bi*ch a.ss Bears take Jones from us
We ever going to get a good GM??? for fu*k sakes
 8 years ago '04        #275
D.A.R.S. 5 heat pts
space
space
 b_eazy said:
I cant believe we let the bi*ch a.ss Bears take Jones from us
We ever going to get a good GM??? for fu*k sakes
Why in the fu*k haven't we gone after Shaun Alexander? I know he's got a suspect ankle, but hell he's a vet, we have a decent rookie running back who could use that leadership

8 years ago '04        #276
..:Fame:.. 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,950 | Props total: 641 641
I heard we trying to get Takeo Spikes . I hope we do our D would mos def be alot better
 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM         #277
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
na yall aint gona get spikes

he dont wana go to a garbage team

aka lions
 8 years ago '04        #278
D.A.R.S. 5 heat pts
space
space
 QueenzBaller26 said:
na yall aint gona get spikes

he dont wana go to a garbage team

aka lions
have you ever passed a spelling test?
 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM         #279
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yall suck so bad
 8 years ago '04        #280
D.A.R.S. 5 heat pts
space
space
@ there being no Lions fans posting in here
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Selena Gomez Strips Down For The Weeknd
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside BX DETECTIVES..WHO THIS BROAD in this vine comp.
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside iG: Victoria Lomba
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jan 14 - University students demand philosophers such as Plato and Kant are re..
230 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Jan 14 - Bikers:"If Protests At Inauguration Get Out Of Hand We're Invo..
88 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nika with the fatty 🍑
40 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Exclusive Renders Of Galaxy S8 Show Stereo Speakers, No Home Button An..
33 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside The wrong way to eat OREOS
85 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy