Detroit Lions

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake does what this whole generation should do and tats Wayne on his ..
104 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Hillary "Donkey" Duff Taunts BX With Her Painted On Jeans
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Maliah Michel declines drake's offer to save
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA TWITTER REACTS TO DERRICK ROSE SIGNING WITH LEBRON CAVALIERS :mjlol:
55 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #201
.Mase Da Rula.|M 1 heat pts
space
space
$25,611 | Props total: 150 150
queens u mad cause the lions is tyling on you... wait till we merk yall

Optimus Prime and Megatron
RoY and CJ

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
 10 years ago '04        #202
space
space
I dunno adrian peterson os that dude.... he ran wild on us.... but we didnt give up the long plays which I am glad we didnt
 10 years ago '04        #203
space
space
'07 rankings: Cheaters do prosper
By Yahoo! Sports
September 18, 2007

The Patriots showed the Chargers and the rest of the NFL who was the team to beat with their bludgeoning of L.T.'s bunch on Sunday night. Some of the league's biggest tumblers were the winless Saints and Eagles.

Yahoo! Sports NFL writers Jason Cole and Charles Robinson rank every team and provide some analysis. Here's how they rank the teams after Week 2.

TOP 12
Cole rankings
1. LW (2) New England Patriots
2. LW (3) Indianapolis Colts
3. LW (6) Baltimore Ravens
4. LW (5) Denver Broncos
5. LW (1) San Diego Chargers
6. LW (7) Chicago Bears
7. LW (12) Dallas Cowboys
8. LW (10) Pittsburgh Steelers
9. LW (14) Green Bay Packers
10. LW (17) San Francisco 49ers
11. LW (26) Houston Texans
12. LW (23) Tennessee Titans

Robinson rankings
1. LW (2) New England Patriots
2. LW (3) Indianapolis Colts
3. LW (5) Dallas Cowboys
4. LW (6) Chicago Bears
5. LW (1) San Diego Chargers
6. LW (8) Pittsburgh Steelers
7. LW (4) Cincinnati Bengals
8. LW (7) Baltimore Ravens
9. LW (12) Denver Broncos
10. LW (18) Washington Redskins
11. LW (17) Green Bay Packers
12. LW (14) San Francisco 49ers

Cole: The Patriots have taken one good team (the Jets) and one very good team (San Diego) to the woodshed through the first two games. There's not much to pick on with the Pats, at least on the field. It's fair to say that the Pats had a little incentive to prove that cheating wasn't the real source of their greatness all these years, but that doesn't explain everything they did against the Chargers. Indianapolis struggling against Tennessee isn't new, so take that with a grain of salt. As for the rest of the top, Dallas is moving fast and has a big one at Chicago on Sunday night. Robinson: The Patriots and Colts (when healthy) already look like they are a cut above everyone else. New England put a hammer lock on the No. 1 slot after its win over San Diego last weekend. Amazingly, despite all the controversy surrounding Bill Belichick this season, he might be doing the best coaching job of his career with that Richard Seymour-less defense. But don't sleep on the Colts. Their defense pulled one out against the Titans without two of their starting linebackers, and look like they could be every bit as good as they were down the stretch last season. Washington and that terrific safety tandem are legit. But Green Bay? We'll find out this week if the Packers are pretenders.
MUDDLED MIDDLE
Cole rankings
13. LW (21) Washington Redskins
14. LW (18) Arizona Cardinals
15. LW (4) Cincinnati Bengals
16. LW (24) Detroit Lions
17. LW (8) Seattle Seahawks
18. LW (25) Jacksonville Jaguars
19. LW (29) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20. LW (9) New Orleans Saints
21. LW (11) Carolina Panthers
22. LW (13) New York Jets

Robinson rankings
13. LW (15) Houston Texans
14. LW (11) Seattle Seahawks
15. LW (16) Tennessee Titans
16. LW (10) Carolina Panthers
17. LW (21) Detroit Lions
18. LW (9) New Orleans Saints
19. LW (20) Jacksonville Jaguars
20. LW (13) New York Jets
21. LW (19) Philadelphia Eagles
22. LW (22) Minnesota Vikings

Cole: Tampa Bay in the top 20 of the league? Am I nuts? New Orleans barely in the top 20? What's going on here? It took nearly seven quarters for the Saints to score an offensive touchdown this season. By the time they did, they had allowed 69 straight points, including 28 to Tampa Bay. Were the Saints a big fraud last year? It's hard to believe that, but it sure looks like it right now. Robinson: It's too bad Andre Johnson's injury is clouding the Texans' good start. Jacoby Jones has his shot to make an early impact, but don't be surprised if the Texans get slammed by Indianapolis this week. Seattle should be 2-0. That blown dummy call cost them the game against the Cardinals and was nothing less than embarrassing. Don't fret, Philadelphia fans. Your season isn't done yet. But the Saints – saddle up Deuce McAllister already and put Reggie Bush into the third-down role. Still, expect Tennessee to prevail on Monday night, even in the Superdome.
BOTTOM OF THE PACK
Cole rankings
23. LW (16) Buffalo Bills
24. LW (19) Minnesota Vikings
25. LW (30) Cleveland Browns
26. LW (20) New York Giants
27. LW (15) Philadelphia Eagles
28. LW (22) Miami Dolphins
29. LW (27) St. Louis Rams
30. LW (28) Kansas City Chiefs
31. LW (32) Oakland Raiders
32. LW (31) Atlanta Falcons

Robinson rankings
23. LW (30) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
24. LW (26) Arizona Cardinals
25. LW (31) Cleveland Browns
26. LW (23) Miami Dolphins
27. LW (24) New York Giants
28. LW (25) St. Louis Rams
29. LW (27) Buffalo Bills
30. LW (28) Kansas City Chiefs
31. LW (29) Oakland Raiders
32. LW (32) Atlanta Falcons

Cole: The Raiders have won the pennant! The Raiders have won the pennant! OK, sorry, mixing sports and getting way too excited in the process. But when the Raiders actually escape the bottom of the NFL rankings, you have to be a little surprised. Actually, don't expect the Raiders to drop back down, barring a Falcons miracle. The Raiders are playing respectably. Not great, but respectably. Robinson: Orlando Pace's injury is going to mean a long season for Steven Jackson. The Rams have to start coping with that reality – now. The Raiders were robbed of a win, plain and simple. The NFL's competition committee should look at tweaking the ability of teams to call timeouts milliseconds before a field goal is attempted. And how long before the Bills start looking at pulling the plug on J.P. Losman? What happened to all that talk of him leading such an explosive offense this year?

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT
 10 years ago '04        #204
space
space
Tuesday conversation: Roy Williams
By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
September 18, 2007

Charles Robinson
Yahoo! Sports
One season removed from his first Pro Bowl appearance, Detroit Lions wide receiver Roy Williams has firmly established himself as a star in the NFL. What few outside of Detroit know is that he's also one of the most entertaining voices in the league. Through two games this season, the receiver with one of the prettiest faces in the league – by his own account – has put up solid numbers during the Lions' 2-0 start: 11 catches, 131 yards, two touchdowns.

Williams took time out on Monday to tell Yahoo! Sports about his off-day routine.

Robinson: So what is your off day typically like?

Williams: I try to sleep in as late as possible. Then I'll get up and play some Madden, pay bills, go shopping for groceries if I have family coming, stuff like that. I don't try to do too much.

Robinson: A lot of guys will spend Tuesday recovering from a big Monday night out. Some guys use that as their party night, but I hear from some spies over with the Lions that you aren't that kind of guy. They say you don't hit the club scene. Actually, they say you're cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
Williams: Oh yeah, that's true. I'm the cheapest guy on the team. No doubt. I'm keeping all of my money.

Robinson: The cheapest on the team? How cheap? Do you use coupons?

Williams: Nah, I don't use coupons. But when I go grocery shopping, I look at prices. A lot of guys don't care about the prices, but I pay attention to them. I'm still a name-brand guy, though. I don't buy like, generic stuff.

Robinson: The way I hear it, you'd rather be sitting at home ordering a pizza than going out to a club or something like that.

Williams: Definitely. I'll sit at home and order my Pizza Hut pizza with my Sprite and a movie. Or I'll go bowling. It depends. Sometimes guys can't go bowling because of injuries to their fingers.

Robinson: I talked to (Chicago Bears cornerback) Nathan Vasher and he said to ask you about your grenadine obsession. He says you're a freak about it.

Williams: Yeah. It's that cherry syrup that you can put into drinks. It's the greatest stuff ever made.

Robinson: Vasher says you're crazy about it. That every where you go, you're mixing it into something.

Williams: Oh yeah. Sprite. Tea. Orange juice and pineapple juice. I can drink it in anything.

Robinson: You're a big movie guy, right? What was the last movie you saw in the theaters?

Williams: Man, I haven't seen a movie in the theater in forever. I watch a lot of DVDs at home on Tuesdays. That's what the off day is for, too. My favorite is that movie "Life" with Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy. I watched that for like four straight days after I bought it.

Robinson: What about "Friday Night Lights," the movie about your high school alma mater, Permian? You were actually in that movie.

Williams: I only had one line in that movie. I should have been Boobie Miles or something.

Robinson: But you were a Midland Lee a.ssistant coach in that movie. That was your high school rival. Did you get a lot of crap for dressing up as the enemy?

Williams: Nah. Everyone knows that was just for Hollywood.

Robinson: I heard that you want to be the head coach of Permian. Is that true?

Williams: Yeah, I'd still like to move back to Odessa (Texas) and do that in maybe, 10, 15 years. Their coach now is good, though. They're having a good season.

Robinson: Not a lot of people know this about you, but you're a pretty musical guy. You play sax, piano and guitar, right?

Williams: Yeah. Hearing the sax when it's in jazz, it can really chill you out. That's one of the things when I retire – I want to move back to Odessa and buy a house once I stack that paper and learn the drums. I want to play the drums.

Robinson: Where did that come from? Is there a musician in the family?

Williams: I just got involved in orchestra and band when I was a kid. I was tall, so basically I was the only one who was tall enough to hold the bass in orchestra. So I played bass and picked up other instruments along the way. I taught myself on the piano. I was in band or orchestra right up to high school. They used to call me the "Orch Dork."

Robinson: Ha. The "Orch Dork?" That's funny. So you're self taught on the piano? That's pretty impressive.

Williams: I have good ears. They're really small. These ears can hear anything within a mile.

Robinson: But you didn't stay in band in high school?

Williams: Nah, I had to stop. I don't think they would have wanted me to play in the games and then go out and march with the band at halftime.

Williams is an annual participant in the Detroit Lions Charity Bocce Ball Tournament and the annual Lions Invitational Golf Tournament. He also served in the Lions promotion of the NFL’s “What Moves U” initiative with the American Heart a.ssociation to help battle child obesity. For more information on Detroit Lions Charities, please call the Detroit Lions Community Affairs Department at 313-216-4000.

Charles Robinson is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Charles a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Tuesday, Sep 18, 2007 3:57 am, EDT
 10 years ago '04        #205
space
space
Lions QB Kitna said he returned from concussion thanks to "miracle"
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
September 17, 2007

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Detroit quarterback Jon Kitna expected people to snicker and laugh when they heard his explanation for his comeback against Minnesota after getting knocked out of the game with a concussion.

"It was a miracle," Kitna said Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT
Kitna left the game in the second quarter, returned in the fourth and led the Lions to a 20-17 win over the Vikings in overtime on Sunday.

He said it was the third concussion of his NFL career, and the first since 2001. Kitna said he also had a concussion playing for Seattle against San Francisco in a 1997 preseason game.

"I've never felt anything like that, and for it to clear up and go right back to as normal as I can be, is nothing short of a miracle," Kitna said. "I just definitely feel the hand of God. That's all it was. You can't explain it.

"I have no headaches, no symptoms, no lingering effects. But that was the worst my head has ever felt, and the worse my memory was in the second quarter. Yet, after halftime there was nothing."

The NFL recently announced new guidelines on dealing with concussions, including creating a telephone hotline to make it easier to report when a player with a head injury is being forced to practice or play against medical advice.

Concussions have become an increasingly high priority for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and team officials in the past year.

"It's about players' safety, and it's good," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said.

Kitna said the team's medical staff followed proper procedures, evaluating him with several questions and by shining a light toward his eyes. The team cleared him to play in the third quarter and he came back in the fourth.

"They did exactly what they're supposed to do, and that's why I didn't push it very hard because I knew how touchy of a subject it is in the league right now," Kitna said. "Finally in the fourth quarter, basically I said, 'I don't have anything. I'm as clear as I was when the game started."'

He was knocked out of the game in the second quarter and appeared to be out for the rest of the day, standing on the sideline without a helmet.

"I was out of it. I didn't know anything. I lost coherence," Kitna said. "It's one of those things, you shouldn't even been able to go back in the game, but it went back to normal and cleared up like it never happened."

After saying he knew who he was during the game, a reporter asked Kitna if he knew where he was.

"Barely," he said.

Kitna passed a follow-up examination Monday morning.

"He's fine," Marinelli said. "He didn't have any symptoms, no headaches."

Marinelli said it was up to the doctors -- who said Kitna had a "very, mild concussion -- to walk the fine line between listening to Kitna and protecting him.

"They were overly cautious and they went through everything they're supposed to do," Marinelli said. "Even when Jon wanted to come back, they held him down until they were convinced and felt good about it."

Kitna ran the ball twice on the final possession, taking even more hits, and led a game-winning drive when Detroit trailed or was tied for the third straight game, including a win last season at Dallas.

"It was a courageous effort," offensive tackle George Foster said.

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT
 10 years ago '04        #206
space
space
Report: Lions RB Jones may play Sunday
September 17, 2007

DETROIT (TICKER) -- Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli is "optimistic" that running back Kevin Jones can return to action against the Philadelphia Eagles next weekend, according to a report Monday on the Detroit Free Press' web site.

Jones hasn't played since suffering a Lisfranc fracture in his foot on December 10 at Minnesota.

"I'm optimistic," Marinelli said. "But I never want to tell you something I can't back up 100 percent. It kind of relies on him, how he's feeling, and he feels good. He says he feels pretty good, so we have a chance. We'll see this week as it goes."

ADVERTISEMENT
Jones rushed for 689 yards and six touchdowns - averaging 3.8 yards per carry - last season.

The Lions (2-0), who are off to their best start since 2004, have used Tatum Bell as their primary running back over the first two games this season. Acquired in the trade which sent cornerback Dre Bly to the Denver Broncos, Bell has rushed for 101 yards and one TD this season.

A first-round pick in 2004, Jones rushed for 1,133 yards as a rookie. He missed three games with elbow and shoulder injuries in 2005, finishing with 664 yards.

:applause:
 10 years ago '04        #207
space
space
First Bills coach Garrard "Buster" Ramsey dies
September 18, 2007

SIGNAL MOUNTAIN, Tenn. (AP) -- Garrard "Buster" Ramsey, the first coach of the Buffalo Bills, has died. He was 87.

Nephew Knox Wagner Ramsey Jr. said Ramsey died of pneumonia Sunday at a Chattanooga-area retirement center where he had been living.

ADVERTISEMENT
Ramsey played guard at William and Mary, where he was the school's first All-American. In the NFL, as a two-way player as a lineman, he was part of the Chicago Cardinals' team that won the 1947 championship.

In 1959, he became coach of the newly formed Bills team of the old AFL, where he was 11-16-1 in two seasons before being fired in 1962. He also held coaching positions with the Detroit Lions and Pittsburgh Steelers.

As a defensive coach with the Lions in the 1950s, Ramsey was credited with helping develop the 4-3 defense and helped popularize blitzing linebackers.

He ended his coaching career with the Steelers in 1965.

After that, he retired to the Smoky Mountains foothills in East Tennessee, where he raised cattle and served on the Blount County School Board and the county commission.

He was born in Walland and grew up in Knoxville.

After college, Ramsey served in the Navy during World War II where he was a drill instructor.

Survivors include two sons, one daughter and five grandchildren.

Graveside services will be Saturday in Maryville.

Updated on Tuesday, Sep 18, 2007 5:59 pm, EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular
 10 years ago '04        #208
space
space
good luck to yall too..... I like when fans are courteous....

props
 10 years ago '04        #209
D.A.R.S. 5 heat pts
space
space
$10,557 | Props total: 526 526
This will be a good game, I'm (like always) hoping for Detroit to come out on top though
 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM         #210
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 LordMason DaRula said:
queens u mad cause the lions is tyling on you... wait till we merk yall

Optimus Prime and Megatron
RoY and CJ

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
lol funny son...i hope yall lose...cuz we cant be havin yall winning games...we need to be on top
 10 years ago '04        #211
space
space
Maddddddd
 10 years ago '04        #212
space
space
Lion's courage
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
September 20, 2007

Dan Wetzel
Yahoo! Sports
ALLEN PARK, Mich. – The quarterback was once 12th string in college. Yes, 12th. And it wasn't like Jon Kitna went to Southern California. Try Central Washington University of the NAIA. Even then he was so far down the depth chart that when the QBs lined up to practice there were only 11 footballs. He had to borrow one just to work out.

No wonder he is the undisputed leader of the Detroit Lions.

It's a team, after all, that boasts a coach (Rod Marinelli) who had to wait until he was 57 years old to get a shot at a head job, has a receiver (Mike Furrey) who once slept in his car while trying out for the St. Louis Rams and a starting linebacker (Paris Lenon) who used to be a postman (Lynchburg, Va., 24504).

The Lions have been the worst franchise in football for years, mostly because of blown draft picks. And what happens when top-10 picks go bust (Joey Harrington, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams) is you sort through the scrap heap for replacements.

Well, the scrap heap is 2-0 and visiting the reeling, winless Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. This is a surprise to many. But not Kitna, the ever-positive, bold-talking, miracle-believing quarterback who, after the 12th string, 10 years and three teams (not counting NFL Europe) is finally showing everyone what he always proclaimed – he can be a franchise quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT
This is the Kitna, after all, who last year told Nicholas Cotsonika of the Detroit Free Press that as a Lion he'd play in a Pro Bowl and a Super Bowl. "It's going to happen," he said. "No question."

And the Kitna who called his dramatic return Sunday against Minnesota from an early game concussion a "miracle."

Not to mention the Kitna who, despite a three-win season last year, boldly noted last spring on WDFN Radio in Detroit that the Lions were on the brink of something big.

"I'll keep to myself what I think we actually will win," he said, according to the a.ssociated Press. "But it's more than 10 games."

Well, two down, nine (or more) to go. Don't laugh. And, considering the long odds he's already overcome through the power of positive thinking and goal verbalization, don't expect Jon Kitna to stop speaking his heart.

"First and foremost, I did not make a prediction," he said Wednesday. "Check the audio, what I said was, 'It will be a disappointment for us not to win 10 games.' Every team should be disappointed if (it doesn't) win 10 games."

Well, we tried to check into it and couldn't get the audio, but the AP isn't often wrong. (An alert reader from Detroit sent us a link of the interview. The AP had it right. You can listen yourself. Kitna makes the prediction at just after the 2:00 mark.)

Not that it matters.

The point is Kitna isn't backing down from his belief that the Lions can be a playoff team. And after waiting so long to be the undeniable leader of an NFL team, he is going to push it as far as he possibly can.

"I know what kind of players we have in this locker room," Kitna said. "I know what kind of toughness, what kind of leadership we are getting from our head coach on down. The fact (of) being in this system for a second year, the belief that the guys have in each other in this locker room, the unselfishness, the team camaraderie, all of those things."

And more important, what his teammates heard was a confident leader demanding results at a franchise that has averaged just four victories a season since 2001 and has won just a single playoff game since 1957.

"That's what you want all your players to think," Furrey said. "In the past here, everybody was saying, 'Can we win three or four games?' But if you want to make the playoffs you need to win 10 games. If you have your captain saying that, it feeds down to other players (who say) 'We can possibly do that. Let's do that. Why not?' "

"Why not?" has been Kitna's career motto. If he was any other way, he'd be teaching high school math and coaching the game, not still playing it. That was the back-up plan when he didn't get a sniff from the NFL coming out of Central Washington, where he had eventually risen to starter and won a national title. Fortunately, a teammate was Dennis Erickson's nephew. As a favor, the then Seattle Seahawks coach set up a pro day for the two players.

Not a single scout showed up. Erickson worked them out anyway, was stunned by Kitna's potential and signed him immediately.

But over the next decade, it was a series of starts and stops. Every time Kitna got an opportunity as a starter (and generally performed very well) he was soon replaced by a higher-profile player, most famously Carson Palmer in Cincinnati.

Finally in the spring of 2006, he came to Detroit where there was no competition. The job, at last, was his.

And then he went 3-13.

"It wasn't as bad as that," Kitna said. "We were a better football team than that, we just needed to learn how to win. We were decimated with injuries last year."

Kitna believes that. Just as he believes the 10-win talk or how the franchise is no longer dysfunctional because Marinelli "swept out" all the problems or how anything is possible for Lions.

Essentially, he believes in miracles. You have to when you've been 12th string on a team with only 11 footballs.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Thursday, Sep 20, 2007 11:31 am, EDT
 10 years ago '04        #213
space
space
Players risking more than a game or two by taking chances with health
By NANCY ARMOUR, AP Sports Columnist
September 21, 2007

Time away from the game has given Wayne Chrebet some perspective.

Those times he got up, shook off the hard hits and went right back to the game, that wasn't courage. Those games where he barely remembered his name, let alone where he was, that wasn't toughness.

ADVERTISEMENT
It was stupidity.

Like so many players before him and still more after him, the former New York Jets receiver endangered his health and well-being because that's just what NFL players do. Unless it's broken or torn -- and even then, there are plenty of exceptions -- you get back out there.

But as we're learning now, the price is far too steep.

Former players suffering memory loss, possibly triggered by multiple concussions. Autopsies that show evidence of brain damage in Andre Waters and three Pittsburgh Steelers offensive linemen, again maybe the result of a career of vicious hits. Players in their 40s and 50s looking two decades older, hobbled by arthritic hips and knees and God knows what else.

Yes, the NFL has changed the rules. But that means little unless the play-at-all-costs culture changes, too. And from what we've seen so far this season, there's still a long way to go.

Jon Kitna got dinged so badly in the second quarter Sunday he "barely" knew where he was, and the Detroit Lions quarterback said it was the worst his head has ever hurt. Yet a quarter later, he'd been cleared to play.

Of course, Kitna returned in the fourth quarter, and the Lions won.

Jacksonville defensive tackle John Henderson went back into last weekend's game after suffering a "blow to the head," then had to be helped off the field with what the team said were heat-related issues. He hasn't practiced since.

Miami Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas will miss only the 14th game of his 12-year career Sunday because of a concussion. The seven-time Pro Bowler played every snap last weekend.

TV commentators were incredulous that the New York Giants would even think of sitting Eli Manning last week. Never mind that Manning had a bruised shoulder which, considering he's a quarterback, is kind of a big deal.

But the Giants were playing the Packers, and Brett Favre never takes a day off. He's played with a broken thumb, a gimpy ankle, a bad knee. He even played the day after his father died. If Favre, who is closing in on the overall NFL record for consecutive starts, can continually gut it out, so, the commentators said, should Manning.

And on and on it goes.

"The truth is that we are going to lie. I lied about it," Chrebet, whose career was cut short by multiple concussions, said earlier this week. "Everybody has lied about it, whether it's your head, knee or any kind of injury. You have to take it out of the players' hands."

Football is a violent game, and part of its appeal for fans and players alike is the vicious hits and bone-crunching tackles. Aside from maybe rugby, it's the closest we have to the gladiator contests of ancient times.

So, yes, there are going to be injuries, some of them gruesome. But accepting a risk is one thing. Openly courting it is quite another.

"In a lot of cases, the player wants to play," Dolphins coach Cam Cameron said. "Sometimes you've just got to take a deep breath, and sometimes it's tough. You know what it means to lose a player like Zach Thomas. But there is a lot bigger picture out there that you are accountable to."

The NFL can talk all it wants about how it's protecting its players -- we'll leave the discussion about why it took so long for another day -- and institute new guidelines to keep woozy players off the field. The reality is players are expected to play hurt, and until somebody stops them, they'll continue to try.

This, after all, is their livelihood. NFL careers are generally short-lived, and extended periods in the training room isn't the way to impress a coach or move up the depth chart. They're also elite athletes in their 20s and 30s, too young and too strong to question their invincibility.

No, if players are ever going to make their health a priority, they'll have to see the NFL do it first.

In Kitna or Henderson's cases, for example, what would have been the harm in keeping them out the rest of the day? A concussion, remember, is just the medical term for what happens when the brain slams into the skull. Is it really possible to be too careful?

No one is suggesting the NFL become flag football. Or that players go on the injured list at the sight of a hangnail. But serious injuries should be treated as such, and when there's any doubt, err on the side of caution.

The NFL will still be thriving and healthy years from now. It would be nice if the same could be said of its former players.

Nancy Armour is a national sports columnist for The a.ssociated Press. Write to her at

Updated on Friday, Sep 21, 2007 6:26 pm, EDT
 10 years ago '04        #214
space
space
Anderson highlights Players of the Week
September 19, 2007

NEW YORK (TICKER) -- Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson highlighted the NFL Players of the Week named Wednesday.

Anderson was tabbed the AFC's Offensive Player of the Week. Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre took home NFC honors.

Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Barrett Ruud were the respective Defensive Players of the Week, while Denver Broncos veteran kicker Jason Elam and electrifying Chicago Bears returner Devin Hester took special teams honors for Week Two.

ADVERTISEMENT
Starting for just the fourth time in his career, Anderson set career highs with 328 passing yards and five touchdowns in Sunday's wild 51-45 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. He completed 20-of-33 passes.

Anderson joined Kurt Warner as the only quarterbacks in the Super Bowl era (since 1966) to throw at least five TDs in a game within their first four career starts.

Winning his 11th career Player of the Week Award, Favre completed 29-of-38 attempts for 286 yards with three TDs in Green Bay's 35-13 road win over the New York Giants. Favre notched his 149th career win, surpassing John Elway for the most in NFL history.

Favre registered his 59th game with at least three touchdown passes and increased his career total to 417, just three shy of Hall of Famer Dan Marino's all-time mark of 420.

On the defensive side, Sanders registered 11 tackles and a career-high 2 1/2 sacks in the Colts' 22-20 road win over the AFC South rival Tennessee Titans.

In his fourth year from Iowa, Sanders won the defensive award for the first time in his career. Over in the NFC, Ruud, in just the seventh start of his career, helped Tampa Bay shut down the New Orleans Saints' offense by recording a career-high 16 tackles, forcing two fumbles while also recovering one in a 31-14 victory.

In his 15th season, Elam kicked his second game-winning field goal in consecutive weeks, booting a 23-yarder with 5:48 left in overtime to give Denver a 23-20 victory over the Oakland Raiders. It was the fifth career Player of the Week award for Elam, a three-time Pro Bowler.

Hester, who already won this award three times during his rookie season in 2006, garnered his fourth by scoring his seventh career touchdown on a 73-yard punt return in Chicago's 20-10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. The second-year player's seven return touchdowns are the second-most in franchise history, one behind the eight of Hall of Famer Gale Sayers.

The dynamic return specialist finished the game with five punt returns for 143 yards, the second-highest total in team history behind Hester's 152-yard game last season vs. the Arizona Cardinals.

Updated on Wednesday, Sep 19, 2007 6:14 pm, EDT
 10 years ago '04        #215
space
space
32 Questions: Matter of preparation
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
September 19, 2007

Michael Silver
Yahoo! Sports
As a 15th-year veteran with Pro Bowls and playoff games in his past and more career sacks (78) than any active NFL linebacker, Chad Brown has learned to roll his eyes at the drama that inevitably crops up during a season.

So when Brown, now in his second stint with the Patriots, found himself in the middle of Massachusetts' most celebrated crime-and-punishment scandal since the Salem Witch Trials, he put aside the emotion of the moment and viewed things purely from a football perspective.

A few minutes after the Pats' stunningly comprehensive dismantling of the Chargers at Gillette Stadium Sunday night, Brown didn't dignify the presumption that New England coach Bill Belichick, having just received a severe punishment from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for having videotaped New York Jets coaches giving defensive signals in the previous week's season opener, had rallied the troops to defend the franchise's honor.

Instead, in so many words, Brown basically implied that Belichick had kicked Chargers coach Norv Turner's a.ss.

"Did you think we'd be prepared for this game?" Brown asked rhetorically. "Think about it – that's what we do here. We faced them in the playoffs last January, and we knew they'd be good again. This is a big game. Do you think Bill hasn't been preparing for it since the schedule came out, or even before it came out?"

ADVERTISEMENT
Consider that a bonus question in a week in which there's no question as to which team belongs at the top (after checking in at No. 2 last week), and there's a new bottom-dweller as well.

1. New England Patriots: Have they ever been this good, this soon?

2. Indianapolis: How much better does this team look with Bob Sanders in the lineup, and can he possibly stay there all season?

3. San Diego Chargers: Are they still a legitimate member of the Big Three, or is it now just the Big Two?

4. Dallas Cowboys: With his size, speed and aggressive running style, shouldn't Marion Barber be the starter already?

5. Chicago Bears: Can this team get by on the two Ds: defense and Devin Hester?

6. Tennessee Titans: Hey, haters and fantasy geeks: If Vince Young is such a lousy quarterback, how does he always seem to have his team in position to pull out big games?

7. Pittsburgh Steelers: Is it just me, or is it starting to seem like the Rooneys have done it again?

8. Baltimore Ravens: When Brian Billick accused the Jets' defensive players of "illegally simulating the snap count" on Monday, how aroused was Bill Belichick?

9. Houston Texans: If Andre Johnson's knee doesn't get better soon, will the hard times return?

10. Denver Broncos: What does it say about today's NFL when a team which came thisclose to losing at home to the Raiders is still in the Top 10?

11. Washington Redskins: So do you Joe Gibbs-bashers still think the game has passed him by, or would you say he's finally catching up to it again?

12. Green Bay Packers: Will they finish with more victories than the number of players that most fans could name off their roster?

13. Seattle Seahawks: Matt, Shaun: Do you guys know each other?

14. Cincinnati Bengals: If Chad Johnson got beer spilled on him, what kind of shower would have been appropriate for the Bengals' defensive backs?

15. Jacksonville Jaguars: What would have been a more boring way to spend last Sunday: Watching the Jags beat the Falcons or Senator Tom Harkin's 30th Annual Steak Fry on C-SPAN II?

16. San Francisco 49ers: If his neighbor asked to borrow a box of sugar, would Mike Nolan trust Alex Smith to deliver it?

17. Arizona Cardinals: Think Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm have had a slight impact on the running game?

18. Detroit Lions: With all due respect to Jon Kitna's deity-provoked return in overtime, isn't the real miracle that the Lions are 2-0?

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Is Joey Galloway still that good, or is the Saints' secondary that atrocious?

20. Minnesota Vikings: Did we really expect a team quarterbacked by Tarvaris Jackson (four interceptions) and/or Brooks Bollinger (brutal fumble in overtime) to be a contender?

21. New Orleans Saints: Is it true that U2 and Green Day will return to the Superdome for Monday night's home opener and perform their newest tune, "The Saints Are Bumming?"

22. New York Jets: Hey, Justin McCareins, are you allergic to leather, or did you just get spooked by the whole O.J./seized football thing?

23. Carolina Panthers: How many touchdowns does Steve Smith have to score for the Panthers to have a chance against an AFC team?

24. Philadelphia Eagles: Can it really be this bad, or are Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb doing one of their rising-from-the-abyss things?

25. Buffalo Bills: When J.P. Losman says the Bills need to "open up the offense more in the beginning" of games, does anyone really disagree?

26. St. Louis Rams: Can someone please explain to me how a team with this many playmakers is averaging 14 points a game?

27. New York Giants: Has Bill Parcells called yet?

28. Cleveland Browns: Hey, Romeo: If Derek Anderson is this good, why the hell did you open the season with Charlie Frye at quarterback?

29. Miami Dolphins: When Ricky Williams gets reinstated, how stupid would the Dolphins be not to play him?

30. Kansas City Chiefs: If I reminded you that this team made the playoffs last season, would you believe me?

31. Oakland Raiders: How many times does Josh McCown have to screw up before Lane Kiffin gives Daunte Culpepper a chance?

32. Atlanta Falcons: Yo, Byron Leftwich: Are you sure you want to climb aboard the S.S. Minnow?

Michael Silver covers the NFL for Yahoo! Sports. Send Michael a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Wednesday, Sep 19, 2007 11:05 am, EDT
 10 years ago '04        #216
space
space
Being 0-2 is McNabb's biggest problem
By Clifton Brown - SportingNews

Clifton Brown
SportingNews.com

How Donovan McNabb is playing should worry the Philadelphia Eagles more than what he is saying.

McNabb drew attention with remarks made during an interview on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" which aired Tuesday. McNabb said black quarterbacks "have to do a little bit extra" because there are relatively few of them, adding "people didn't want us to play this position."

I commend McNabb for expressing his opinion. Whether you agree or disagree with him, high-profile people, including athletes, are often too reluctant to discuss their true feelings about race. Honest and open dialogue is a necessary tool to help people understand why blacks and whites often view the same issue very differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
There are still only six starting black quarterbacks in the National Football League, and for decades, talented black college quarterbacks were discouraged from playing the position once they reached the NFL. People blasting McNabb for his comments should ask themselves this question: Is it so strange for a black quarterback to believe he is viewed differently, considering the legacy of black quarterbacks in the NFL?

The most pressing issue for McNabb, however, is not the state of black quarterbacks. It's the state of his game. The Eagles are 0-2, and McNabb, less than 10 months removed from major knee surgery, has played woefully. Many of his throws have been off target, and twice during Monday night's 20-12 loss to the Washington Redskins, the Eagles settled for field goals after McNabb missed an open receiver near the end zone.

McNabb is clearly not 100 percent, and he may never be the running threat he once was. For the Eagles, that's a huge problem. McNabb's ability to run for first downs was a major part of his game.

Linebackers and safeties used to fear McNabb when he escaped from the pocket, which created throwing lanes for McNabb in the secondary, or running lanes for him to scamper through. But when McNabb scrambled Monday, the Redskins' linebackers and safeties stayed home. They didn't care if McNabb ran, because they knew he didn't want to run, and they knew he couldn't run like he once did.

It also didn't help that the Eagles' very average receivers looked incapable of getting open consistently. That's a consistent theme in Philadelphia. In his ninth season, McNabb has only had one star receiver to work with during his career, Terrell Owens. McNabb may not miss Owens in the locker room, but he clearly could use him on the field.

Expect McNabb's throwing to become a little more accurate as his knee gets stronger. But the Eagles need McNabb to step up immediately. A loss Sunday to the undefeated (2-0) Detroit Lions (I can't believe I just typed undefeated Detroit Lions) would drop the Eagles to 0-3. Even in this age of parity, 0-3 teams rarely make the playoffs, and McNabb's future with the Eagles beyond this season would become more precarious.

When the Eagles drafted quarterback Kevin Kolb with their first pick in April, it put McNabb on notice. The team had begun to plan for life without him. Kolb may not be ready to win this year, but if McNabb and the Eagles falter this season, it could easily be his last in Philly.

McNabb undoubtedly senses his vulnerability, which is likely contributing to his newfound candor. For years, McNabb avoided controversial statements the way he avoided onrushing passers. But as many people have discovered, both black and white, it doesn't pay to be a company man when the company decides it no longer needs you.

Now that McNabb has spoken out, the Eagles can only hope that he will step up. For once, McNabb has stirred people with his words. Now he needs to stir his team with his play.

09-26-2007, 01:37 PM         #217
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
man i need a update on cj....wat up wit his back
 10 years ago '05        #218
airmcnair06 18 heat pts18
space
space
$6,001 | Props total: 0 0
^^was wonderin the same thing.....

found this:

Calvin Johnson declared day-to-day with a bad bruise on lower back

September 25, 2007

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA and JO-ANN BARNAS

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERS

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson walked gingerly through the Lions' locker room Monday, like an old man. A teammate teased him, and he smiled.

Johnson, the second overall pick in this year's draft, suffered a lower back injury when he fell making an impressive, leaping catch in Sunday's 56-21 loss at Philadelphia.

But it's just a bad bruise. Nothing's broken.

"Just came down wrong, I guess," Johnson said. "I smacked the dirt pretty hard. I felt it right away."

Marinelli said Johnson was probably day-to-day.

Will Johnson play Sunday against Chicago? Johnson would say he would see how the week went.

looks probable, prolly wont play, i hope he doesn't so he don't fu*k it up anymore, give it 2 weeks to heal imo.....
 10 years ago '04        #219
space
space
my bad lions fans, i been slacking on the news

but man...... even tho we lost bad last week... key points I wanna make apparent....

our offense is lethal as fu*k.... 3 games in and kitna has 1000 pass yards (officially 980) and roy williams has over 350 yds recieving and 3 tds already..
:wow:

if our defense could ever get back into shape we would be unstoppable... we gave up too many deep balls, and screen plays to philly and that what k!lled us..
 10 years ago '04        #220
space
space
LB Donte Curry back with Lions, and RB Aveion Cason is cut
September 26, 2007

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Lions signed linebacker Donte Curry, bringing back a player who was cut just before the season after spending five years with the team.

"He's a veteran, well loved by this team, and he brings something special," Detroit coach Rod Marinelli said Wednesday. "He's an excellent special teams player."

The Lions cut running back Aveion Cason to make room for Curry. The team also put tight end Rudy Sylvan on the practice squad and took running back Anthony Sherrell off it.

Curry made his NFL debut with the Washington Redskins in 2001, then spent the next five seasons with the Lions and contributed mostly on special teams.

Updated on Wednesday, Sep 26, 2007 9:04 pm, EDT
Home      

most viewed right now
Boyfriend watches girlfriend with yoga instructor! (gone wrong!)
9 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
She thicc in the right places
52 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside The truth about black seed oil and how it changed my life
258 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
She actually a dime, shame she a smut doe...
47 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Top Goons Turned Rapper List
197 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Cop or Pass: Air Jordan 31 Low Triple Black
69 comments
2 days ago