Image(s) inside Kim K gets ethered on twitter
36 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
NBA Gary Payton gives zero fu-ks lol
45 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall remember Johnny blaze?
58 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside When you're Ice Cube sometimes you gotta play nice with lame ass clowns
85 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #181
.Mase Da Rula. 1 heat pts
space
space
$25,670 | Props total: 180 180
Lions QB Jon Kitna shaken up in second quarter against Vikings, but returns in fourth
September 16, 2007

DETROIT (AP) -- Lions quarterback Jon Kitna left Sunday's game against Minnesota with a concussion in the second quarter, and returned in time to help Detroit beat the Vikings 20-17 in overtime.

"I'm their leader and I want to be on the field," he said.

It appeared Kitna's day was over when he stood on the sideline with his helmet off for about two quarters, only to return midway through the fourth period, drawing a roar from the crowd at Ford Field.

He was hit hard several times by the Vikings, and Kenechi Udeze delivered one of the blows by driving Kitna's face into the ground.

"I got knocked to the turf and it knocked me woozy for a while," Kitna said. "I've had concussions before, but this was like nothing I experienced before. In the first 20 minutes after, I was pretty foggy."

After Kitna's last drive in the second quarter, which ended with a touchdown pass to Roy Williams, he went to the bench. A flashlight was shined toward his eyes and a wet towel was draped over his head while trainer Al Bellamy evaluated him.

Kitna finished 22-of-33 for 245 yards with a TD and interception.

Until J.T. O'Sullivan threw five passes on his first possession in place of Kitna, his experience in the league consisted of kneeling down twice to seal a win for Green Bay in 2004.

He was 13-of-23 for 148 yards with a score, two interceptions and a fumble.

O'Sullivan, drafted in the sixth round in 2002 by New Orleans, has been on a handful of rosters in the league and led the Frankfort Galaxy to NFL Europa's World Bowl earlier this year and in 2004.

Chicago cut him just before training camp, and the Lions quickly signed him.

The former California-Davis standout went from possibly being released again to being the No. 2 quarterback because second-round pick Drew Stanton went on injured reserve with a knee injury and Dan Orlovsky had a toe injury in the second preseason game.

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT
 11 years ago '04        #182
space
space
Lions' Kitna suffers concussion; Vikings' Jackson leaves with groin injury
By The a.ssociated Press
September 16, 2007

Jon Kitna missed two quarters with a concussion, then came back and led the Detroit Lions on a winning drive.

"I only know one thing, and it's to play as hard as I can," the quarterback said. "I'm not trying to pull a Willis Reed out there, but if I can play, I can play."

Kitna was knocked out of the game with a concussion, only to return and set up Jason Hanson's 37-yard field goal in overtime that lifted the Lions to a 20-17 victory over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

"I don't think he knew where he was," Detroit receiver Roy Williams said. "He might've thought he was back at Central Washington, but he led this team to a victory."

Kitna said it was the worst concussion of his 11-year career, and the first since 2000. He was knocked out of the game in the second quarter and didn't appear as if he was going to come back in as he stood on the sideline without his helmet.

Kitna finished 22-of-33 for 245 yards with one touchdown and an interception.

"I've seen a lot in this league, but that was special," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said.

J.T. O'Sullivan, who hadn't thrown a pass in the NFL until Sunday, was 13-of-23 for 148 yards with a score, two interceptions and a fumble in Kitna's place.

The Vikings also lost their starting quarterback when Tarvaris Jackson threw an incomplete pass on the first snap of overtime and left the game with a groin injury.

Jackson, who tied a team record with four interceptions, was replaced by Brooks Bollinger. There was no immediate update on Jackson's status.

Minnesota wide receiver-kick returner Troy Williamson left the game with a hamstring injury, while Lions tight end Dan Campbell injured an elbow.

Elsewhere, Pittsburgh outside linebacker James Harrison was taken off the field on a stretcher with a neck injury after being hurt on the final play of the first half of the Steelers' 20-3 win against Buffalo.

Harrison was hurt on Marshawn Lynch's 8-yard carry that ended the second quarter. He became caught up in a pileup while he was being blocked and he rammed his head into teammate Casey Hampton's back as Lynch was tackled by Brett Keisel and Clark Haggans.

The Steelers announced only that Harrison would not return to the game. After being examined for a few minutes, Harrison returned to the sideline midway through the third quarter and was walking freely.

It was a scary sight after Bills tight end Kevin Everett sustained a life-threatening spinal cord injury against Denver last week. After doctors initially said he might be paralyzed, Everett showed significant improvement in only several days. By the end of the week, doctors said Everett could wiggle his toes, bend his hip, move his ankles, elevate and kick his leg, as well as extend his elbows and slightly flex his biceps.

"It made you a little nervous after what happened last week," defensive end Aaron Smith said.

Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson, who caught seven passes for 120 yards and two scores in the Texans' 34-21 win at Carolina, left with a sprained left knee.

Johnson said he would undergo an MRI on Monday, but was hoping he would play next week against Super Bowl champion Indianapolis in an early season showdown in the AFC South.

New York rookie receiver Steve Smith was knocked out of the Giants' 35-13 loss to Green Bay with a shoulder injury.

Smith caught a 10-yard pass late in the first quarter and later left the field for X-rays, which disclosed an injury to his shoulder blade.

Backup quarterback Jared Lorenzen sprained an ankle on the Giants' final drive and was forced to leave the game around the two-minute warning. He was taken for X-rays, but the team had no immediate word on the extent of his injury. Anthony Wright, the Giants No. 3 quarterback, replaced him.

Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who caught seven passes for 87 yards, left Cardinals' 23-20 win over Seattle after a hit from behind by Deon Grant in the third quarter, but returned a short time later.

Chicago punter Brad Maynard missed a game for the first time in his career, ending a streak of 161 consecutive games when he sat out the Bears' 20-10 win over Kansas City because of a groin injury. The Bears signed Dirk Johnson to replace Maynard, and he got hurt late in the third quarter.

Also injured Sunday were: New York Jets cornerback-kick returner Justin Miller (leg), Baltimore defensive end Trevor Pryce (broken wrist), St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger (sore ribs) and New Orleans running back Deuce McAllister (eye).

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT
 11 years ago '04        #183
space
space
Winners, losers and other thoughts: Week 2
By James C. Black, Yahoo! Sports
September 16, 2007

James C. Black
Yahoo! Sports

I hate jumping to quick conclusions two weeks into the NFL season, but have we been just a tad bit premature in trying to force retirement on Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre? I know, the season still is young; the offense did next to nothing in Week 1 against the Philadelphia Eagles; and the New York Giants as a whole might be even more bruised and beaten up than Eli Manning's shoulder.

Still, Green Bay is reminding us that parity is as prominent in the league as commissioner Roger Goodell's tendency to hand out punishments. And on any given Sunday, Favre easily looks like one of the 10 best quarterbacks in the league.

Favre, who hadn't thrown three touchdown passes in a game since Week 3 of last season, tossed three scoring passes in the win over New York to pull within four of breaking Dan Marino's career record (420). But it's not just records – he surpassed John Elway for most wins by a quarterback by getting his 149th on Sunday – or the 2-0 start that's making me believe the Packers are better off that he opted to return for his 17th season.

The Packers have the longest winning streak (six) in the NFC going back to last season. And whether it’s a veteran such as Donald Driver (73 yards, one touchdown against the Giants) or a rookie like Mason Crosby (three field goals against the Eagles), folks other than No. 4 are making an impact.

But again, the season is incredibly early and the Packers will be tested over the next five contests – including home games against the San Diego Chargers and Chicago Bears, and a road trip to face the Denver Broncos. At this stage, I'll probably hold off on planning for Favre's retirement until he actually makes the announcement.

Here are some more thoughts from Week 2:

Biggest winners: Frank Gore, playing with the pain of having lost his mother to kidney disease Wednesday, helped the San Francisco 49ers go 2-0 with a 17-16 victory over the St. Louis Rams. Gore, who will be leaving the team for two days to attend his mother's wake and funeral in Miami, scored two touchdowns in San Francisco's second straight victory over an NFC West foe.

• Jason Elam benefited from a seemingly quirky rule that set up a second straight game-winning kick as the Broncos defeated the Oakland Raiders 23-20 in overtime on Sunday. After Sebastian Janikowski nailed a 52-yarder that presumably gave Oakland the win, the officials waved off the kick, ruling that Denver had announced its intentions to call a timeout before the attempt. Of course, Jan-O missed the second attempt and the Broncos drove on the ensuing possession to set up Elam's successful 23-yard attempt.

• At times last season, Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak seemed to be making strides with quarterback David Carr, only to experience setbacks which ultimately led to Carr's offseason departure. In comes Matt Schaub from the Atlanta Falcons and the Texans are 2-0 for the first time in their six-year history.

• In all the talk about Charlie Frye and Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson was the forgotten QB with the Cleveland Browns. At least for another week, Anderson held on to his job by throwing for 328 yards and five touchdowns in a 51-45 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Biggest losers: Marv Lewis – do you realize the Browns just scored again? How is it that the likes of Anderson, Joe Jurevicius and Braylon Edwards can shred your defense after the Browns essentially were no-shows a week earlier against the Pittsburgh Steelers? I guess this is just another reminder that schemes are great, but a coach still needs players … especially if they're named Ray Lewis, Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

• Anyone subjected to watching the Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions combine for 10 turnovers in a game that, fittingly, went into overtime.

• Trent Green had a day to forget, throwing four interceptions and suffering a pair of sacks as the Miami Dolphins lost to the Dallas Cowboys 37-20 at home.

• Sort of like Favre and the Packers, I don't want to overreact to anything that happens over the course of two weeks, but the New Orleans Saints look like they're ready to reclaim the "Aints" moniker after a 31-14 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. If New Orleans gets knocked around at home by the Tennessee Titans next week, you can all but write off its season.

Perception that should become a reality: Don't expect to see the Baltimore Ravens go 13-3 again. Six turnovers in the opener, no Steve McNair for Sunday's game, and struggling to hold on late against Kellen Clemens and the New York Jets suggest that Baltimore definitely will come back to earth this season.

Draft blunder: Cam Cameron, that ninth overall selection on Ted Ginn Jr. is paying dividends … not. In two games, the Ohio State alumnus has yet to catch a pass. He has done a decent job in the return game, but with a first-round pick that early, you should be hoping to find the next Steve Smith – not Desmond Howard or Dante Hall.

Reserving judgment: OK, the Steelers are 2-0, but what does that mean? Their two wins have come against two teams that didn't put up much of a f!ght. Let's see what happens at home against the 2-0 Niners next week.

More on the Steelers: One thing I do know – those throwback jerseys Pittsburgh wore against the Buffalo Bills could have stayed tucked in a closet chest. Those compilation jerseys (a mixture of concepts from uniforms worn through the 1940, 50 and 60s) with the gold helmets look more like cheap replicas or Pop Warner digs than NFL game-issued attire.

The mane event: I know we're used to seeing guys with long hair, but the foxtail-like 'do Cincinnati Bengals D-lineman Domata Peko has coming out the back of the helmet is kind of scary.

Question of the day: Were those actual lightning strikes in Denver or did Al Davis hire some gifted special effects company to stage inclement weather after watching Josh McCown throw a pair of interceptions in the first quarter?

James C. Black is the NFL editor for Yahoo! Sports.

Updated on Sunday, Sep 16, 2007 10:53 pm, EDT
 09-16-2007, 09:39 PM         #184
luda06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If the Lions can get some type of run game going, they're going to be scary this season. The defense won this game again, because the Vikings were just as good as the Lions without Kitna. I'm just glad he was able to return.
 11 years ago '04        #185
space
space
Lions QB Kitna leaves in second quarter
September 16, 2007

DETROIT (Ticker) - Detroit Lions quarterback Jon Kitna left Sunday's game in the second quarter against the Minnesota Vikings with an undisclosed injury.

Kitna had taken several hards before leaving. He completed 13-of-21 passes for 151 yards and a touchdown with an interception.

Kitna was replaced by J.T. O'Sullivan.
 11 years ago '06        #186
Honolulu Blue 33 heat pts33 OP
space
space
$17,885 | Props total: 1903 1903
 luda06 said:
If the Lions can get some type of run game going, they're going to be scary this season. The defense won this game again, because the Vikings were just as good as the Lions without Kitna. I'm just glad he was able to return.
the d stepped up, but dont get carried away saying they won the game. we wouldnt even be in the game if the offense didnt put up scores. the offense put up the points and defense held their ground. we need to work on our special teams though.

240 - 100 STRK: 4 w in a row WIN PCT: 70% 23 (0) 
  Career: | Aug 10: 187-102, Rank #58 | Aug 09: 15-2, Rank #103 | Aug 08: 6-0, Rank #345 *
 09-16-2007, 10:02 PM         #187
luda06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Comic Book Guy said:
the d stepped up, but dont get carried away saying they won the game. we wouldnt even be in the game if the offense didnt put up scores. the offense put up the points and defense held their ground. we need to work on our special teams though.

The defense won that game for us man. If the D didn't hold up during Kitna's absence, the Lions would have been in some trouble. They held it down all the way into OT, and before that. Whenever 'ol boy had a turnover, the defense forced another one right back. They put the clamps on in the second half, and kept the game knotted for Kitna's return.

We already know if there wasn't an injury, the Lions would have r*ped the Vikings, but I love this Lions D.
 11 years ago '04        #188
space
space
defense.... our d was horrible ten turnovers in that game.. we need to be able to stop the run more effectively, and not along 3rd and long conversions....

our offense is potent but no more drops, and fumbles and shyt... geez thats almost k!lled us
 09-16-2007, 10:18 PM         #189
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
dang that backup qb was scarin me im glad kitna came back and im kinda settled on havin a straight back up but im glad he got his first snaps during the minnesota game and not the bears
 09-16-2007, 10:21 PM         #190
luda06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 LordMason DaRula said:
defense.... our d was horrible ten turnovers in that game.. we need to be able to stop the run more effectively, and not along 3rd and long conversions....

our offense is potent but no more drops, and fumbles and shyt... geez thats almost k!lled us
They stopped the run almost entirely in the second half. The defense seems to pick up dramatically during that point of the game. We've saw them clamp down on the Raiders last week in the second, and when Kitna was gone, they manned up for real. It's like they intentionally do that or something. This time it really mattered since, our offense sucked during that time frame.
 09-17-2007, 06:48 AM         #191
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 airmcnair06 said:
^shhhiiiitt

everybody tryna give us a look now. We gon prove ourself next week though. Ya'll can't say sh*t about us not playing credible teams after we win that game
O O dont get it twisted son...fu*k the lions they still grabge to me...and the viks and the bears

but i only say that in a freindly gesture.....i love this division..the better yall are...the better the packs get..and the more looks our division get

soon peopel gona be like...ddammmnnnnn black n blue divsion is back...or damnit man we gota face off with em n*ggas in the nfc north
 11 years ago '04        #192
space
space
queens u mad cause the lions is tyling on you... wait till we merk yall

Optimus Prime and Megatron
RoY and CJ

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
 11 years ago '04        #193
space
space
I dunno adrian peterson os that dude.... he ran wild on us.... but we didnt give up the long plays which I am glad we didnt
 11 years ago '04        #194
space
space
'07 rankings: Cheaters do prosper
By Yahoo! Sports
September 18, 2007

The Patriots showed the Chargers and the rest of the NFL who was the team to beat with their bludgeoning of L.T.'s bunch on Sunday night. Some of the league's biggest tumblers were the winless Saints and Eagles.

Yahoo! Sports NFL writers Jason Cole and Charles Robinson rank every team and provide some analysis. Here's how they rank the teams after Week 2.

TOP 12
Cole rankings
1. LW (2) New England Patriots
2. LW (3) Indianapolis Colts
3. LW (6) Baltimore Ravens
4. LW (5) Denver Broncos
5. LW (1) San Diego Chargers
6. LW (7) Chicago Bears
7. LW (12) Dallas Cowboys
8. LW (10) Pittsburgh Steelers
9. LW (14) Green Bay Packers
10. LW (17) San Francisco 49ers
11. LW (26) Houston Texans
12. LW (23) Tennessee Titans

Robinson rankings
1. LW (2) New England Patriots
2. LW (3) Indianapolis Colts
3. LW (5) Dallas Cowboys
4. LW (6) Chicago Bears
5. LW (1) San Diego Chargers
6. LW (8) Pittsburgh Steelers
7. LW (4) Cincinnati Bengals
8. LW (7) Baltimore Ravens
9. LW (12) Denver Broncos
10. LW (18) Washington Redskins
11. LW (17) Green Bay Packers
12. LW (14) San Francisco 49ers

Cole: The Patriots have taken one good team (the Jets) and one very good team (San Diego) to the woodshed through the first two games. There's not much to pick on with the Pats, at least on the field. It's fair to say that the Pats had a little incentive to prove that cheating wasn't the real source of their greatness all these years, but that doesn't explain everything they did against the Chargers. Indianapolis struggling against Tennessee isn't new, so take that with a grain of salt. As for the rest of the top, Dallas is moving fast and has a big one at Chicago on Sunday night. Robinson: The Patriots and Colts (when healthy) already look like they are a cut above everyone else. New England put a hammer lock on the No. 1 slot after its win over San Diego last weekend. Amazingly, despite all the controversy surrounding Bill Belichick this season, he might be doing the best coaching job of his career with that Richard Seymour-less defense. But don't sleep on the Colts. Their defense pulled one out against the Titans without two of their starting linebackers, and look like they could be every bit as good as they were down the stretch last season. Washington and that terrific safety tandem are legit. But Green Bay? We'll find out this week if the Packers are pretenders.
MUDDLED MIDDLE
Cole rankings
13. LW (21) Washington Redskins
14. LW (18) Arizona Cardinals
15. LW (4) Cincinnati Bengals
16. LW (24) Detroit Lions
17. LW (8) Seattle Seahawks
18. LW (25) Jacksonville Jaguars
19. LW (29) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20. LW (9) New Orleans Saints
21. LW (11) Carolina Panthers
22. LW (13) New York Jets

Robinson rankings
13. LW (15) Houston Texans
14. LW (11) Seattle Seahawks
15. LW (16) Tennessee Titans
16. LW (10) Carolina Panthers
17. LW (21) Detroit Lions
18. LW (9) New Orleans Saints
19. LW (20) Jacksonville Jaguars
20. LW (13) New York Jets
21. LW (19) Philadelphia Eagles
22. LW (22) Minnesota Vikings

Cole: Tampa Bay in the top 20 of the league? Am I nuts? New Orleans barely in the top 20? What's going on here? It took nearly seven quarters for the Saints to score an offensive touchdown this season. By the time they did, they had allowed 69 straight points, including 28 to Tampa Bay. Were the Saints a big fraud last year? It's hard to believe that, but it sure looks like it right now. Robinson: It's too bad Andre Johnson's injury is clouding the Texans' good start. Jacoby Jones has his shot to make an early impact, but don't be surprised if the Texans get slammed by Indianapolis this week. Seattle should be 2-0. That blown dummy call cost them the game against the Cardinals and was nothing less than embarrassing. Don't fret, Philadelphia fans. Your season isn't done yet. But the Saints – saddle up Deuce McAllister already and put Reggie Bush into the third-down role. Still, expect Tennessee to prevail on Monday night, even in the Superdome.
BOTTOM OF THE PACK
Cole rankings
23. LW (16) Buffalo Bills
24. LW (19) Minnesota Vikings
25. LW (30) Cleveland Browns
26. LW (20) New York Giants
27. LW (15) Philadelphia Eagles
28. LW (22) Miami Dolphins
29. LW (27) St. Louis Rams
30. LW (28) Kansas City Chiefs
31. LW (32) Oakland Raiders
32. LW (31) Atlanta Falcons

Robinson rankings
23. LW (30) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
24. LW (26) Arizona Cardinals
25. LW (31) Cleveland Browns
26. LW (23) Miami Dolphins
27. LW (24) New York Giants
28. LW (25) St. Louis Rams
29. LW (27) Buffalo Bills
30. LW (28) Kansas City Chiefs
31. LW (29) Oakland Raiders
32. LW (32) Atlanta Falcons

Cole: The Raiders have won the pennant! The Raiders have won the pennant! OK, sorry, mixing sports and getting way too excited in the process. But when the Raiders actually escape the bottom of the NFL rankings, you have to be a little surprised. Actually, don't expect the Raiders to drop back down, barring a Falcons miracle. The Raiders are playing respectably. Not great, but respectably. Robinson: Orlando Pace's injury is going to mean a long season for Steven Jackson. The Rams have to start coping with that reality – now. The Raiders were robbed of a win, plain and simple. The NFL's competition committee should look at tweaking the ability of teams to call timeouts milliseconds before a field goal is attempted. And how long before the Bills start looking at pulling the plug on J.P. Losman? What happened to all that talk of him leading such an explosive offense this year?

11 years ago '04        #195
space
space
Tuesday conversation: Roy Williams
By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
September 18, 2007

Charles Robinson
Yahoo! Sports
One season removed from his first Pro Bowl appearance, Detroit Lions wide receiver Roy Williams has firmly established himself as a star in the NFL. What few outside of Detroit know is that he's also one of the most entertaining voices in the league. Through two games this season, the receiver with one of the prettiest faces in the league – by his own account – has put up solid numbers during the Lions' 2-0 start: 11 catches, 131 yards, two touchdowns.

Williams took time out on Monday to tell Yahoo! Sports about his off-day routine.

Robinson: So what is your off day typically like?

Williams: I try to sleep in as late as possible. Then I'll get up and play some Madden, pay bills, go shopping for groceries if I have family coming, stuff like that. I don't try to do too much.

Robinson: A lot of guys will spend Tuesday recovering from a big Monday night out. Some guys use that as their party night, but I hear from some spies over with the Lions that you aren't that kind of guy. They say you don't hit the club scene. Actually, they say you're cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
Williams: Oh yeah, that's true. I'm the cheapest guy on the team. No doubt. I'm keeping all of my money.

Robinson: The cheapest on the team? How cheap? Do you use coupons?

Williams: Nah, I don't use coupons. But when I go grocery shopping, I look at prices. A lot of guys don't care about the prices, but I pay attention to them. I'm still a name-brand guy, though. I don't buy like, generic stuff.

Robinson: The way I hear it, you'd rather be sitting at home ordering a pizza than going out to a club or something like that.

Williams: Definitely. I'll sit at home and order my Pizza Hut pizza with my Sprite and a movie. Or I'll go bowling. It depends. Sometimes guys can't go bowling because of injuries to their fingers.

Robinson: I talked to (Chicago Bears cornerback) Nathan Vasher and he said to ask you about your grenadine obsession. He says you're a freak about it.

Williams: Yeah. It's that cherry syrup that you can put into drinks. It's the greatest stuff ever made.

Robinson: Vasher says you're crazy about it. That every where you go, you're mixing it into something.

Williams: Oh yeah. Sprite. Tea. Orange juice and pineapple juice. I can drink it in anything.

Robinson: You're a big movie guy, right? What was the last movie you saw in the theaters?

Williams: Man, I haven't seen a movie in the theater in forever. I watch a lot of DVDs at home on Tuesdays. That's what the off day is for, too. My favorite is that movie "Life" with Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy. I watched that for like four straight days after I bought it.

Robinson: What about "Friday Night Lights," the movie about your high school alma mater, Permian? You were actually in that movie.

Williams: I only had one line in that movie. I should have been Boobie Miles or something.

Robinson: But you were a Midland Lee a.ssistant coach in that movie. That was your high school rival. Did you get a lot of crap for dressing up as the enemy?

Williams: Nah. Everyone knows that was just for Hollywood.

Robinson: I heard that you want to be the head coach of Permian. Is that true?

Williams: Yeah, I'd still like to move back to Odessa (Texas) and do that in maybe, 10, 15 years. Their coach now is good, though. They're having a good season.

Robinson: Not a lot of people know this about you, but you're a pretty musical guy. You play sax, piano and guitar, right?

Williams: Yeah. Hearing the sax when it's in jazz, it can really chill you out. That's one of the things when I retire – I want to move back to Odessa and buy a house once I stack that paper and learn the drums. I want to play the drums.

Robinson: Where did that come from? Is there a musician in the family?

Williams: I just got involved in orchestra and band when I was a kid. I was tall, so basically I was the only one who was tall enough to hold the bass in orchestra. So I played bass and picked up other instruments along the way. I taught myself on the piano. I was in band or orchestra right up to high school. They used to call me the "Orch Dork."

Robinson: Ha. The "Orch Dork?" That's funny. So you're self taught on the piano? That's pretty impressive.

Williams: I have good ears. They're really small. These ears can hear anything within a mile.

Robinson: But you didn't stay in band in high school?

Williams: Nah, I had to stop. I don't think they would have wanted me to play in the games and then go out and march with the band at halftime.

Williams is an annual participant in the Detroit Lions Charity Bocce Ball Tournament and the annual Lions Invitational Golf Tournament. He also served in the Lions promotion of the NFL’s “What Moves U” initiative with the American Heart a.ssociation to help battle child obesity. For more information on Detroit Lions Charities, please call the Detroit Lions Community Affairs Department at 313-216-4000.

Charles Robinson is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Charles a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Tuesday, Sep 18, 2007 3:57 am, EDT
 11 years ago '04        #196
space
space
Lions QB Kitna said he returned from concussion thanks to "miracle"
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
September 17, 2007

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Detroit quarterback Jon Kitna expected people to snicker and laugh when they heard his explanation for his comeback against Minnesota after getting knocked out of the game with a concussion.

"It was a miracle," Kitna said Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT
Kitna left the game in the second quarter, returned in the fourth and led the Lions to a 20-17 win over the Vikings in overtime on Sunday.

He said it was the third concussion of his NFL career, and the first since 2001. Kitna said he also had a concussion playing for Seattle against San Francisco in a 1997 preseason game.

"I've never felt anything like that, and for it to clear up and go right back to as normal as I can be, is nothing short of a miracle," Kitna said. "I just definitely feel the hand of God. That's all it was. You can't explain it.

"I have no headaches, no symptoms, no lingering effects. But that was the worst my head has ever felt, and the worse my memory was in the second quarter. Yet, after halftime there was nothing."

The NFL recently announced new guidelines on dealing with concussions, including creating a telephone hotline to make it easier to report when a player with a head injury is being forced to practice or play against medical advice.

Concussions have become an increasingly high priority for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and team officials in the past year.

"It's about players' safety, and it's good," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said.

Kitna said the team's medical staff followed proper procedures, evaluating him with several questions and by shining a light toward his eyes. The team cleared him to play in the third quarter and he came back in the fourth.

"They did exactly what they're supposed to do, and that's why I didn't push it very hard because I knew how touchy of a subject it is in the league right now," Kitna said. "Finally in the fourth quarter, basically I said, 'I don't have anything. I'm as clear as I was when the game started."'

He was knocked out of the game in the second quarter and appeared to be out for the rest of the day, standing on the sideline without a helmet.

"I was out of it. I didn't know anything. I lost coherence," Kitna said. "It's one of those things, you shouldn't even been able to go back in the game, but it went back to normal and cleared up like it never happened."

After saying he knew who he was during the game, a reporter asked Kitna if he knew where he was.

"Barely," he said.

Kitna passed a follow-up examination Monday morning.

"He's fine," Marinelli said. "He didn't have any symptoms, no headaches."

Marinelli said it was up to the doctors -- who said Kitna had a "very, mild concussion -- to walk the fine line between listening to Kitna and protecting him.

"They were overly cautious and they went through everything they're supposed to do," Marinelli said. "Even when Jon wanted to come back, they held him down until they were convinced and felt good about it."

Kitna ran the ball twice on the final possession, taking even more hits, and led a game-winning drive when Detroit trailed or was tied for the third straight game, including a win last season at Dallas.

"It was a courageous effort," offensive tackle George Foster said.

11 years ago '04        #197
space
space
Report: Lions RB Jones may play Sunday
September 17, 2007

DETROIT (TICKER) -- Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli is "optimistic" that running back Kevin Jones can return to action against the Philadelphia Eagles next weekend, according to a report Monday on the Detroit Free Press' web site.

Jones hasn't played since suffering a Lisfranc fracture in his foot on December 10 at Minnesota.

"I'm optimistic," Marinelli said. "But I never want to tell you something I can't back up 100 percent. It kind of relies on him, how he's feeling, and he feels good. He says he feels pretty good, so we have a chance. We'll see this week as it goes."

ADVERTISEMENT
Jones rushed for 689 yards and six touchdowns - averaging 3.8 yards per carry - last season.

The Lions (2-0), who are off to their best start since 2004, have used Tatum Bell as their primary running back over the first two games this season. Acquired in the trade which sent cornerback Dre Bly to the Denver Broncos, Bell has rushed for 101 yards and one TD this season.

A first-round pick in 2004, Jones rushed for 1,133 yards as a rookie. He missed three games with elbow and shoulder injuries in 2005, finishing with 664 yards.

:applause:
 11 years ago '04        #198
space
space
First Bills coach Garrard "Buster" Ramsey dies
September 18, 2007

SIGNAL MOUNTAIN, Tenn. (AP) -- Garrard "Buster" Ramsey, the first coach of the Buffalo Bills, has died. He was 87.

Nephew Knox Wagner Ramsey Jr. said Ramsey died of pneumonia Sunday at a Chattanooga-area retirement center where he had been living.

ADVERTISEMENT
Ramsey played guard at William and Mary, where he was the school's first All-American. In the NFL, as a two-way player as a lineman, he was part of the Chicago Cardinals' team that won the 1947 championship.

In 1959, he became coach of the newly formed Bills team of the old AFL, where he was 11-16-1 in two seasons before being fired in 1962. He also held coaching positions with the Detroit Lions and Pittsburgh Steelers.

As a defensive coach with the Lions in the 1950s, Ramsey was credited with helping develop the 4-3 defense and helped popularize blitzing linebackers.

He ended his coaching career with the Steelers in 1965.

After that, he retired to the Smoky Mountains foothills in East Tennessee, where he raised cattle and served on the Blount County School Board and the county commission.

He was born in Walland and grew up in Knoxville.

After college, Ramsey served in the Navy during World War II where he was a drill instructor.

Survivors include two sons, one daughter and five grandchildren.

Graveside services will be Saturday in Maryville.

Updated on Tuesday, Sep 18, 2007 5:59 pm, EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular
 11 years ago '04        #199
space
space
good luck to yall too..... I like when fans are courteous....

props
 11 years ago '04        #200
D.A.R.S. 5 heat pts
space
space
$10,918 | Props total: 1028 1028
This will be a good game, I'm (like always) hoping for Detroit to come out on top though
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Another kind of thick- Blindian babygirl
28 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden visits Styles P at Juices For Life
68 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
😍Gyal you a walking trophy🏆🏆🏆
43 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Alley Boy Says Jeezy Don't Run Atlanta
156 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
What if I told you Osama Bin Laden and Hitler didn't die when they were report..
94 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Rockets and Kings discussing a trade involving Ryan Anderson
54 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Quentin Miller Freestyle on Hot 97
52 comments
1 day ago