Detroit Lions

most viewed right now
 Video inside Drake sweating bullets like a virgin for Vanessa hudgens
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside WTF shorty head game is....
18 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Ohhh Fux I'm cumn hard!!! Day 12 nofap fail
60 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
May 24 - Alien life could already be in our solar system
26 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #181
.Mase Da Rula.|M 1 heat pts
space
space
$25,587 | Props total: 141 141
Contrasting views
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
September 9, 2007

Jason Cole
Yahoo! Sports
OAKLAND, Calif. – Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson pulled on a baggy red t-shirt to match his black sweat pants and his classic Michael Jordan high tops. The front of the t-shirt featured a list Air Jordan's many career accomplishments.

Asked about which version of Jordan kicks he was wearing, Johnson smiled and replied, "1985, the year I was born."

Perhaps, some day 22 years in the future, some young man will idolize Johnson and his achievements. Moreover, many of the Oakland Raiders fans who came early and left earlier might have been wondering if a 36-21 season-opening loss to the Lions might have been different had their franchise taken the talented Johnson at No. 1 overall instead of holdout quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

The game Sunday was something of a study in team building as the teams with the top two picks from the NFL draft in April clashed. Not that a four-catch, 70-yard, one-touchdown performance is anything worth projecting such greatness just yet. But in terms of putting a franchise on the road to redemption, the presence of Johnson might help the Lions update their look. Detroit could use it because the Lions haven't been any good since the Edsel came out and the players know it.

They had no problem acknowledging that past Lions teams might have folded after blowing a 17-0 second-half lead to the Raiders on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT
"That's when the old Detroit Lions would have gone in the tank," wide receiver Roy Williams said. "We didn't and the credit goes to coach (Rod) Marinelli. He has totally changed the way we think and he got the right people in here and the wrong people out."

Johnson is an example of that "right" approach. Unlike talented receivers such as Mike Williams and Charles Rogers – top 10 picks this decade by Detroit that flamed out – Johnson is a serious man.

After the game, there was little flash from Johnson. No preening or trash talking, mostly just mild dissection of the performance and lots of glib answers. At a position that tends to produce divas by the dozen, Johnson is a Garbo … and also a serious talent.

Detroit frequently went to three- and four-receiver sets, both staples of offensive coordinator Mike Martz, with Johnson playing outside and occasionally in the slot. The result was man coverage throughout the game and plenty of open receivers for quarterback Jon Kitna, who completed 27 of 36 passes for 289 yards, three scores and two interceptions.

In fact, Kitna responded immediately after the Raiders had taken the lead. Kitna completed four of five passes for 67 yards and even scrambled out of a potential sack. He also escaped pressure to set up Shaun McDonald for the go-ahead 32-yard score. After that, Oakland imploded with two turnovers that both led to scores.

A year ago, the Lions offense was in far different condition with only Roy Williams and Mike Furrey as legitimate targets. In recent weeks, Martz has even joked that last year's game plans were more a "wish" list – a list of plays he wished he could run.

Now, with Johnson in the mix, the Lions have more explosive components.

"He's going to be historic," said Williams. "You can put it down, he's going to be one of those 100-touchdown guys in this league … I told him before the game, we have to both take this one a little personally against the Raiders because in 2004, they should have taken me No. 2 and in 2007, they should have taken him No. 1."

Chatter aside, there are some things to be pleased about with the Raiders. They were, for the most part, competent on offense, lining up in the right spots and going the right direction. That may not sound like much, but compared to a year ago, the Raiders have come farther than Sean Penn since his marriage to Madonna.

More important, the Raiders may finally have a contract done with Russell by Monday. Two sources, including one from the team, indicated that Russell's deal was near completion.

While Russell doesn't figure to play much, if at all, this season, the Raiders aren't really in position to worry about this season. This is a team already in a wait-till-next decade mode.

Despite the more organized methods of coach Lane Kiffin, the Raiders just aren't that talented yet. Moreover, their biggest perceived strength from a year ago is really an illusion. The defense which so many Raiders fans believe is championship caliber, was a mirage created by how bad the offense was a year ago.

The Raiders finished No. 1 in pass defense last season, contributing to being No. 3 overall in the league. That's where stats lie. They were No.1 against the pass because opponents didn't have to throw (the Raiders had the fewest passes in the league thrown against them). Why should opponents have thrown if Oakland was no threat to score?

By contrast, the Lions have to throw. With Johnson, Williams, Furrey and McDonald at wide receiver, passing is their foundation.

"When we come out in four wides, you just look at the other side and know if you just do your job, somebody is going to be open," said Williams, who admitted that he got a reminder of that in the second half.

Williams let a catchable throw tip off his hands and get intercepted late in the third quarter. That allowed Oakland to score again and close to within 17-14.

"In this offense, you have to get your stuff together or you're not getting the ball," Williams said. "After I dropped that ball, I didn't get another ball thrown my way. I gotta get my stuff together."

From an overall perspective, the Lions seem to be getting their stuff together after years of misery. They may still be a long way from a playoff contender, but the fourth-quarter rally was certainly a change.

"Yeah, the old Lions probably would have folded that up and who knows what would have happened," said defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, who was simply a beast in the middle of the Lions defense. "Now, it's just different. It's a lot better. You feel it when you come to work."

How so?

"Well, now when I'm coming to work, I know we're preparing to win," Rogers said. "Before, we were just preparing to play."

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Sunday, Sep 9, 2007 11:33 pm, EDT
 10 years ago '04        #182
space
space
Still top billing
By Yahoo! Sports
September 11, 2007

The Chargers opened the season with a new coach (Norv Turner) and uncharacteristic struggles on offense, yet the bottom line was similar to what occurred most of 2006 – a victory. As a result, San Diego holds onto to its preseason ranking of No. 1.

Yahoo! Sports NFL writers Jason Cole and Charles Robinson rank every team and provide some analysis. Here's how they rank the teams after Week 1.

TOP 12
Cole rankings
1. San Diego Chargers
2. New England Patriots
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Denver Broncos
6. Baltimore Ravens
7. Chicago Bears
8. Seattle Seahawks
9. New Orleans Saints
10. Pittsburgh Steelers
11. Carolina Panthers
12. Dallas Cowboys

Robinson rankings
1. San Diego Chargers
2. New England Patriots
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Dallas Cowboys
6. Chicago Bears
7. Baltimore Ravens
8. Pittsburgh Steelers
9. New Orleans Saints
10. Carolina Panthers
11. Seattle Seahawks
12. Denver Broncos

Cole: The AFC occupies the top six spots and easily could have Pittsburgh a little higher, but I'm going to resist the temptation to overreact to a big opening win because Cleveland really looks lost. Chicago and New Orleans, the NFC Championship game qualifiers last season, not only lost by a combined score of 55-13 against San Diego and Indianapolis respectively, but if not for a fumble recovery by Saints cornerback Jason David, they wouldn't have even had a touchdown. Robinson: The Chargers hold on to the top spot for fending off a Chicago team that looks like it's going to have a hard time against the AFC elite again. New England solidified itself as a rock solid No. 2 with an offense that could be scary good. The Colts were extremely impressive in Week 1, but we still have some doubts about the ability of that defense to hold up over the long haul. Dallas might be over-hyped at No. 5 after that defense looked awful against the Giants, but the Cowboys were missing their top corner.
MUDDLED MIDDLE
Cole rankings
13. New York Jets
14. Green Bay Packers
15. Philadelphia Eagles
16. Buffalo Bills
17. San Francisco 49ers
18. Arizona Cardinals
19. Minnesota Vikings
20. New York Giants
21. Washington Redskins
22. Miami Dolphins

Robinson rankings
13. New York Jets
14. San Francisco 49ers
15. Houston Texans
16. Tennessee Titans
17. Green Bay Packers
18. Washington Redskins
19. Philadelphia Eagles
20. Jacksonville Jaguars
21. Detriot Lions
22. Minnesota Vikings

Cole: Call it a gut feeling, but look for the Giants to waffle between the middle and bottom all season. They have enough players to make some games interesting, but the defense and the depth are simply horrendous. Add the injury to running back Brandon Jacobs and you have a team ready to go into free fall. Philadelphia looked brutal in the opener, but should improve as quarterback Donovan McNabb works off the rust. Robinson: The 49ers offense should have fared better than it did against Arizona. Where were Darrell Jackson and Vernon Davis? If the Texans' young defense is legit, that's going to be a very, very interesting team to watch. The Packers and that underrated defense took a big leap forward with the most impressive win of any team in the muddled middle. And before Lions and Vikings fans start complaining about being ranked as the worst of the 1-0 teams, consider who your respective franchises defeated.
BOTTOM OF THE PACK
Cole rankings
23. Tennessee Titans
24. Detroit Lions
25. Jacksonville Jaguars
26. Houston Texans
27. St. Louis Rams
28. Kansas City Chiefs
29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
30. Cleveland Browns
31. Atlanta Falcons
32. Oakland Raiders

Robinson rankings
23. Miami Dolphins
24. New York Giants
25. St. Louis Rams
26. Arizona Cardinals
27. Buffalo Bills
28. Kansas City Chiefs
29. Oakland Raiders
30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
31. Cleveland Browns
32. Atlanta Falcons

Cole: Raiders fans should rejoice: Atlanta is so bad that the Falcons could be gunning for the bottom spot pretty soon. In fairness, the Raiders are playing organized football and could move up to No. 28 by the end of the season because the four teams ahead of them are just dreadful. Houston and Detroit should move up, but it's a little early to take their opening wins too seriously. Robinson: Sure, Larry Johnson played a very limited role on Sunday, but the Chiefs could be in some serious trouble on offense. The wide receiver depth is thinning already, and Damon Huard isn't going to surprise anyone this season. Tampa Bay could sink fast with injuries to Cadillac Williams and Jeff Garcia. Cleveland and Atlanta are the biggest offensive messes in the league.
 10 years ago '06        #183
banga 8 heat pts
space
space
$30,869 | Props total: 3566 3566
 LordMason DaRula said:
we got u vikes next week.. u lucky ya rookie rb doing things....

we'll see week two....

avy bet any 1??
which player do you want?

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 265 (+48) 
  Career: | Aug 14: 1-0, Rank #474 | Aug 12: 1-1, Rank #832 | Aug 11: 2-2, Rank #801 | Aug 10: 73-38, Rank #99 | Aug 09: 2-2, Rank #404 | Aug 08: 12-6, Rank #342 *
 10 years ago '04        #184
space
space
first some 1 need to make any official thread... when its up then all bets will be real and avys can be done up
 10 years ago '04        #185
space
space
Lions starting to show signs of believing in Marinelli's vision
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
September 13, 2007

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Rod Marinelli waited for three decades to be a head coach.

When he finally got his chance last year in Detroit, things didn't go nearly as he would have hoped.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Lions started 0-5 and then lost seven in a row late in the season during a woeful 3-13 campaign that was better than only Oakland.

Despite the poor results, Marinelli's message and methods were unwavering.

The Vietnam veteran insisted on his players pushing themselves on every snap and relentlessly pushed them physically and mentally from the practice field to the meeting room.

Now that the second year of Marinelli's regime has arrived, the coach's devotees expect his hard-nosed, steadfast approach to pay dividends on the scoreboard as it did in the season-opening win against the Raiders.

Defensive end Dewayne White, who played for Marinelli in Tampa Bay, said the victory only makes Marinelli easier to follow.

"When people say stuff, you want to believe them," White said Wednesday. "If you don't see results, people lose hope and start doubting. But everything he has said has come true, so there's no reason to doubt."

Marinelli's boss, son-in-law and several players were asked what they liked best about him.

"He doesn't change," they said as if reading from a script.

Marinelli -- who called himself "Mr. Repetitive," this week -- beamed with pride before the season started when the answers were relayed.

"That's everything because people look for consistency in leadership," he said in an interview with The a.ssociated Press. "You don't look for wishy-washy people, who give in when the press thinks you should do this or somebody is complaining about practicing in pads.

"I have a belief. I state it very clearly. And, I live it."

Marinelli may not wow fans watching one of his news conferences, but his unbridled passion and high-energy persona have drawn rave reviews from those who spend time with him.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was ready to strap on a helmet after talking to Marinelli for 15 minutes in mid-August.

"By the time we got done, I was ready to go play myself," Goodell said. "He's really got a tremendous attitude, a positive attitude and an expectation of winning. I think you can sense the difference in this franchise and in this building of their expectations to win."

Everyone from team vice chairman Bill Ford to defensive tackle Cory Redding exudes excitement the moment they're asked about him.

"I love his spirit," said Ford, whose father owns the team.

Redding said he changed the Lions' culture.

"He doesn't let guys take a day off because he doesn't take a day, or a second, off," Redding said.

Marinelli's relentless ways helped him make a deliberate rise through the coaching ranks.

His career started in 1973 as an a.ssistant coach at Rosemead High School, his alma mater in suburban Los Angeles, where the football field was named after him in June.

Marinelli went on to work on the staffs at Utah State, California, Arizona State and Southern California before Tony Dungy gave him a shot in 1996 to work in the NFL as defensive line coach in Tampa Bay.

A decade later, Detroit was desperately looking for a coach to turn around the laughingstock of the league. Team president Matt Millen hired Marinelli after an extensive search.

Millen needed only a split second to ponder what has been his favorite qualities in Marinelli as a coach and a man.

"It's the same thing," Millen said. "He's persistent. He doesn't change."

Marinelli, a very private man, provided some peeks into his personal life during his second training camp.

The 58-year-old man of Italian decent grew up in Rosemead, Calif., a working-class town about 10 miles east of Los Angeles.

He has fond childhood memories of hitchhiking to witness Sandy Koufax pitch during his incredible run for the Dodgers and to watch the NFL's best in the Pro Bowl at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Marinelli's college career -- starting at Utah in 1968 and ending at California Lutheran in 1972 -- was interrupted by a one-year tour in Vietnam. He knows some may be interested to hear his perspective of how serving in the war shaped his life and career, but he politely declines.

"Whatever I say could be pulled one way or the other, so I don't say anything," he said softly. "I leave it alone because it's personal."

Marinelli is an avid reader, whose favorite books from this past offseason were about Abraham Lincoln and Dungy.

"I like reading about people," said Marinelli, who minored in history in college. "I try to see the value of leadership or football."

Detroit defensive coordinator Joe Barry wouldn't have been surprised that his father-in-law steered a conversation about himself back to football. Barry knows a side of Marinelli that he only sees because he married one of the head coach's daughters.

"He is an ironclad-fisted man, but he has a soft spot for his two daughters and four grandkids," Barry said -- after prefacing his remarks that Marinelli wouldn't be happy with him for sharing his behind-the-scenes perspective. "But he doesn't let that show because he's a tough sucker."

Marinelli also is a master motivator, who shows players video clips from the Animal Planet cable channel and ESPN "Bear" Bryant film "The Junction Boys" and draws stick figures on scouting reports.

"He'll show two bears f!ghting and he'll say they're Shaun Rogers and Damien Woody," receiver Roy Williams said. "He'll say, 'Good hands Shaun! Way to battle back Woody!' Guys get a laugh out of it at meetings, but they also get the lesson."

In an era when off-the-field conduct in the NFL is drawing more scrutiny, Marinelli starts each morning meeting with a do-right list.

If a player is late for a meeting or is overweight or misses curfew, for example, his name is on the do-right list that is projected onto a big screen at the team meeting the next day.

The Lions had a lot of players on the do-right list last year. But after some roster changes weeded out players who didn't buy into Marinelli's program, not one player was on it during training camp.

"It's a major flip from a year ago, believe me," Marinelli said.

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT
 09-16-2007, 06:04 PM         #186
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ooo sh*t lions 2-0 thast what im talkin bout

good sh*t to viks...gota show love to the black and blue division..lets bring this sh*t back

yall cant fu*k with GB tho

noo noo nnoooooooo
 10 years ago '05        #187
airmcnair06 18 heat pts18
space
space
$6,001 | Props total: 0 0
^shhhiiiitt

everybody tryna give us a look now. We gon prove ourself next week though. Ya'll can't say sh*t about us not playing credible teams after we win that game
 10 years ago '04        #188
space
space
lions bi*ches
 10 years ago '04        #189
space
space
Detroit 20, Minnesota 17, OT
Preview - Box Score - Recap

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
September 16, 2007

Minnesota Vikings fullback Naufahu Tahi (38) loses Detroit Lions linebacker Ernie Sims as cornerback Fernando Bryant (25) looks on in the fourth quarter of an NFL football game in Detroit, Sunday, Sept. 16, 2007.
AP - Sep 16, 8:39 pm EDT
More Photos

DETROIT (AP) -- Jon Kitna gave up his body and perhaps his mind for the Detroit Lions.

Kitna was knocked out of the game with a concussion, only to return and set up Jason Hanson's 37-yard field goal in overtime that lifted the Lions to a 20-17 victory over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

"I don't think he knew where he was," Detroit receiver Roy Williams said. "He might've thought he was back at Central Washington, but he led this team to a victory."

Kitna said it was the worst concussion of his 11-year career, and the first since 2000.

"I only know one thing, and it's to play as hard as I can," he said. "I'm not trying to pull a Willis Reed out there, but if I can play, I can play."

Minnesota and Detroit took turns blowing chances to win the game.

They combined for nine turnovers in regulation and two missed field goal attempts in the final 45 seconds.

The 10th turnover -- Brooks Bollinger's fumbled snap -- gave Detroit the ball at the 50.

Kitna missed about two quarters after being shaken up, but that didn't deter him from running the ball twice -- once off a deflected pass -- for 15 yards to pick up a key first down. Brian Calhoun's 17-yard run set up Hanson's kick.

"I'm glad I got another chance to win it, but I'm even happier for the team because we deserved to win," Hanson said.

Detroit (2-0) has opened with two wins for the first time in three years. The last time, the Lions finished 6-10 -- their best record since Matt Millen was given control of the franchise in 2001.

"It feels good, but it's just a start," said offensive tackle Jeff Backus, who has been a part of each of Detroit's NFL-high 72 losses the past six-plus seasons. "We have to keep it going."

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson scrambles against the Detroit Lions in the fourth quarter of an NFL football game in Detroit, Sunday, Sept. 16, 2007.
AP - Sep 16, 8:24 pm EDT
More Photos
The Vikings (1-1) had plenty of chances to start 2-0 for the second straight year, but lost many of the opportunities as Tarvaris Jackson tied a team record with four interceptions.

"I didn't play very well. I threw four away," Jackson said. "The defense kept us in the game."

Both teams had shots to win at the end of regulation.

Hanson pushed a 48-yard field goal try to the left with 45 seconds remaining after making 18 straight field goals dating to Nov. 19, 2006.

The miss gave Minnesota another chance, but Ryan Longwell clanged a 52-yard attempt off the left upright with 2 seconds left -- wasting a chance to follow up a 24-3 win over Atlanta.

"We had an opportunity to win this game at the end, but we didn't take advantage," Vikings coach Brad Childress said. "I was looking to see some consistency from Game 1 to Game 2.

"Unfortunately, we took a step back in terms of 12 penalties that we had. That's not acceptable."

Jackson threw an incomplete pass on the first snap of overtime and left the game with a groin injury.

He completed just 17 of 33 passes for 166 yards without a score and shared an unwanted team record with several players, including Daunte Culpepper, who was the last Viking to throw four interceptions in 2005.

"It's not a good formula for winning on the road," Childress said.

Detroit Lions linebacker Ernie Sims (50) celebrates after Minnesota Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell (8) missed a 52-yard field goal held by Chris Kluwe (5) with seven seconds left in the football game Sunday, Sept. 16, 2007, in Detroit. The Lions went on to beat the Vikings, 20-17, in overtime.
AP - Sep 16, 8:23 pm EDT
More Photos
With the Vikings struggling to pass, Detroit stacked its defense against the run and was able to limit Adrian Peterson to 66 yards on 20 carries after he topped the 100-yard mark in his NFL debut.

Kitna was 22-of-33 for 245 yards with one touchdown and an interception.

He was knocked out of the game in the second quarter and didn't appear as if he was going to come back in as he stood on the sideline without his helmet. But he did return, helping the Lions take another step toward backing up his expectation of at least 10 wins this season.

"I've seen a lot in this league, but that was special," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said. "You saw toughness. This is a tough town and their football team has a leader that's tough."

Williams caught seven passes for 111 yards with a TD and a fumble. Rookie Calvin Johnson had four receptions for 61 yards and scored for the second straight week.

Minnesota scored 10 points in 49 seconds to tie the score at 17 midway through the third quarter on Longwell's field goal and Ray Edwards' returned fumble.

Darren Sharper had two interceptions and forced a fumble.

Minnesota had won 10 straight over Detroit, which was the NFL's longest current streak and the best stretch over a divisional opponent since Dallas dominated Washington from 1997 to 2002.

Notes

Minnesota WR/KR Troy Williamson (hamstring) and Lions TE Dan Campbell (elbow) were injured. ... Detroit's J.T. O'Sullivan, who hadn't thrown a pass in the NFL until Sunday, was 13-of-23 for 148 yards with a score, two interceptions and a fumble. ... Sharper had more than one interception for the fifth time in his career, and has an NFL-high 46 since 2000.
 10 years ago '04        #190
space
space
Lions QB Jon Kitna shaken up in second quarter against Vikings, but returns in fourth
September 16, 2007

DETROIT (AP) -- Lions quarterback Jon Kitna left Sunday's game against Minnesota with a concussion in the second quarter, and returned in time to help Detroit beat the Vikings 20-17 in overtime.

"I'm their leader and I want to be on the field," he said.

It appeared Kitna's day was over when he stood on the sideline with his helmet off for about two quarters, only to return midway through the fourth period, drawing a roar from the crowd at Ford Field.

He was hit hard several times by the Vikings, and Kenechi Udeze delivered one of the blows by driving Kitna's face into the ground.

"I got knocked to the turf and it knocked me woozy for a while," Kitna said. "I've had concussions before, but this was like nothing I experienced before. In the first 20 minutes after, I was pretty foggy."

After Kitna's last drive in the second quarter, which ended with a touchdown pass to Roy Williams, he went to the bench. A flashlight was shined toward his eyes and a wet towel was draped over his head while trainer Al Bellamy evaluated him.

Kitna finished 22-of-33 for 245 yards with a TD and interception.

Until J.T. O'Sullivan threw five passes on his first possession in place of Kitna, his experience in the league consisted of kneeling down twice to seal a win for Green Bay in 2004.

He was 13-of-23 for 148 yards with a score, two interceptions and a fumble.

O'Sullivan, drafted in the sixth round in 2002 by New Orleans, has been on a handful of rosters in the league and led the Frankfort Galaxy to NFL Europa's World Bowl earlier this year and in 2004.

Chicago cut him just before training camp, and the Lions quickly signed him.

The former California-Davis standout went from possibly being released again to being the No. 2 quarterback because second-round pick Drew Stanton went on injured reserve with a knee injury and Dan Orlovsky had a toe injury in the second preseason game.

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT
 10 years ago '04        #191
space
space
Lions' Kitna suffers concussion; Vikings' Jackson leaves with groin injury
By The a.ssociated Press
September 16, 2007

Jon Kitna missed two quarters with a concussion, then came back and led the Detroit Lions on a winning drive.

"I only know one thing, and it's to play as hard as I can," the quarterback said. "I'm not trying to pull a Willis Reed out there, but if I can play, I can play."

Kitna was knocked out of the game with a concussion, only to return and set up Jason Hanson's 37-yard field goal in overtime that lifted the Lions to a 20-17 victory over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

"I don't think he knew where he was," Detroit receiver Roy Williams said. "He might've thought he was back at Central Washington, but he led this team to a victory."

Kitna said it was the worst concussion of his 11-year career, and the first since 2000. He was knocked out of the game in the second quarter and didn't appear as if he was going to come back in as he stood on the sideline without his helmet.

Kitna finished 22-of-33 for 245 yards with one touchdown and an interception.

"I've seen a lot in this league, but that was special," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said.

J.T. O'Sullivan, who hadn't thrown a pass in the NFL until Sunday, was 13-of-23 for 148 yards with a score, two interceptions and a fumble in Kitna's place.

The Vikings also lost their starting quarterback when Tarvaris Jackson threw an incomplete pass on the first snap of overtime and left the game with a groin injury.

Jackson, who tied a team record with four interceptions, was replaced by Brooks Bollinger. There was no immediate update on Jackson's status.

Minnesota wide receiver-kick returner Troy Williamson left the game with a hamstring injury, while Lions tight end Dan Campbell injured an elbow.

Elsewhere, Pittsburgh outside linebacker James Harrison was taken off the field on a stretcher with a neck injury after being hurt on the final play of the first half of the Steelers' 20-3 win against Buffalo.

Harrison was hurt on Marshawn Lynch's 8-yard carry that ended the second quarter. He became caught up in a pileup while he was being blocked and he rammed his head into teammate Casey Hampton's back as Lynch was tackled by Brett Keisel and Clark Haggans.

The Steelers announced only that Harrison would not return to the game. After being examined for a few minutes, Harrison returned to the sideline midway through the third quarter and was walking freely.

It was a scary sight after Bills tight end Kevin Everett sustained a life-threatening spinal cord injury against Denver last week. After doctors initially said he might be paralyzed, Everett showed significant improvement in only several days. By the end of the week, doctors said Everett could wiggle his toes, bend his hip, move his ankles, elevate and kick his leg, as well as extend his elbows and slightly flex his biceps.

"It made you a little nervous after what happened last week," defensive end Aaron Smith said.

Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson, who caught seven passes for 120 yards and two scores in the Texans' 34-21 win at Carolina, left with a sprained left knee.

Johnson said he would undergo an MRI on Monday, but was hoping he would play next week against Super Bowl champion Indianapolis in an early season showdown in the AFC South.

New York rookie receiver Steve Smith was knocked out of the Giants' 35-13 loss to Green Bay with a shoulder injury.

Smith caught a 10-yard pass late in the first quarter and later left the field for X-rays, which disclosed an injury to his shoulder blade.

Backup quarterback Jared Lorenzen sprained an ankle on the Giants' final drive and was forced to leave the game around the two-minute warning. He was taken for X-rays, but the team had no immediate word on the extent of his injury. Anthony Wright, the Giants No. 3 quarterback, replaced him.

Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who caught seven passes for 87 yards, left Cardinals' 23-20 win over Seattle after a hit from behind by Deon Grant in the third quarter, but returned a short time later.

Chicago punter Brad Maynard missed a game for the first time in his career, ending a streak of 161 consecutive games when he sat out the Bears' 20-10 win over Kansas City because of a groin injury. The Bears signed Dirk Johnson to replace Maynard, and he got hurt late in the third quarter.

Also injured Sunday were: New York Jets cornerback-kick returner Justin Miller (leg), Baltimore defensive end Trevor Pryce (broken wrist), St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger (sore ribs) and New Orleans running back Deuce McAllister (eye).

10 years ago '04        #192
space
space
Winners, losers and other thoughts: Week 2
By James C. Black, Yahoo! Sports
September 16, 2007

James C. Black
Yahoo! Sports

I hate jumping to quick conclusions two weeks into the NFL season, but have we been just a tad bit premature in trying to force retirement on Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre? I know, the season still is young; the offense did next to nothing in Week 1 against the Philadelphia Eagles; and the New York Giants as a whole might be even more bruised and beaten up than Eli Manning's shoulder.

Still, Green Bay is reminding us that parity is as prominent in the league as commissioner Roger Goodell's tendency to hand out punishments. And on any given Sunday, Favre easily looks like one of the 10 best quarterbacks in the league.

Favre, who hadn't thrown three touchdown passes in a game since Week 3 of last season, tossed three scoring passes in the win over New York to pull within four of breaking Dan Marino's career record (420). But it's not just records – he surpassed John Elway for most wins by a quarterback by getting his 149th on Sunday – or the 2-0 start that's making me believe the Packers are better off that he opted to return for his 17th season.

The Packers have the longest winning streak (six) in the NFC going back to last season. And whether it’s a veteran such as Donald Driver (73 yards, one touchdown against the Giants) or a rookie like Mason Crosby (three field goals against the Eagles), folks other than No. 4 are making an impact.

But again, the season is incredibly early and the Packers will be tested over the next five contests – including home games against the San Diego Chargers and Chicago Bears, and a road trip to face the Denver Broncos. At this stage, I'll probably hold off on planning for Favre's retirement until he actually makes the announcement.

Here are some more thoughts from Week 2:

Biggest winners: Frank Gore, playing with the pain of having lost his mother to kidney disease Wednesday, helped the San Francisco 49ers go 2-0 with a 17-16 victory over the St. Louis Rams. Gore, who will be leaving the team for two days to attend his mother's wake and funeral in Miami, scored two touchdowns in San Francisco's second straight victory over an NFC West foe.

• Jason Elam benefited from a seemingly quirky rule that set up a second straight game-winning kick as the Broncos defeated the Oakland Raiders 23-20 in overtime on Sunday. After Sebastian Janikowski nailed a 52-yarder that presumably gave Oakland the win, the officials waved off the kick, ruling that Denver had announced its intentions to call a timeout before the attempt. Of course, Jan-O missed the second attempt and the Broncos drove on the ensuing possession to set up Elam's successful 23-yard attempt.

• At times last season, Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak seemed to be making strides with quarterback David Carr, only to experience setbacks which ultimately led to Carr's offseason departure. In comes Matt Schaub from the Atlanta Falcons and the Texans are 2-0 for the first time in their six-year history.

• In all the talk about Charlie Frye and Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson was the forgotten QB with the Cleveland Browns. At least for another week, Anderson held on to his job by throwing for 328 yards and five touchdowns in a 51-45 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Biggest losers: Marv Lewis – do you realize the Browns just scored again? How is it that the likes of Anderson, Joe Jurevicius and Braylon Edwards can shred your defense after the Browns essentially were no-shows a week earlier against the Pittsburgh Steelers? I guess this is just another reminder that schemes are great, but a coach still needs players … especially if they're named Ray Lewis, Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

• Anyone subjected to watching the Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions combine for 10 turnovers in a game that, fittingly, went into overtime.

• Trent Green had a day to forget, throwing four interceptions and suffering a pair of sacks as the Miami Dolphins lost to the Dallas Cowboys 37-20 at home.

• Sort of like Favre and the Packers, I don't want to overreact to anything that happens over the course of two weeks, but the New Orleans Saints look like they're ready to reclaim the "Aints" moniker after a 31-14 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. If New Orleans gets knocked around at home by the Tennessee Titans next week, you can all but write off its season.

Perception that should become a reality: Don't expect to see the Baltimore Ravens go 13-3 again. Six turnovers in the opener, no Steve McNair for Sunday's game, and struggling to hold on late against Kellen Clemens and the New York Jets suggest that Baltimore definitely will come back to earth this season.

Draft blunder: Cam Cameron, that ninth overall selection on Ted Ginn Jr. is paying dividends … not. In two games, the Ohio State alumnus has yet to catch a pass. He has done a decent job in the return game, but with a first-round pick that early, you should be hoping to find the next Steve Smith – not Desmond Howard or Dante Hall.

Reserving judgment: OK, the Steelers are 2-0, but what does that mean? Their two wins have come against two teams that didn't put up much of a f!ght. Let's see what happens at home against the 2-0 Niners next week.

More on the Steelers: One thing I do know – those throwback jerseys Pittsburgh wore against the Buffalo Bills could have stayed tucked in a closet chest. Those compilation jerseys (a mixture of concepts from uniforms worn through the 1940, 50 and 60s) with the gold helmets look more like cheap replicas or Pop Warner digs than NFL game-issued attire.

The mane event: I know we're used to seeing guys with long hair, but the foxtail-like 'do Cincinnati Bengals D-lineman Domata Peko has coming out the back of the helmet is kind of scary.

Question of the day: Were those actual lightning strikes in Denver or did Al Davis hire some gifted special effects company to stage inclement weather after watching Josh McCown throw a pair of interceptions in the first quarter?

James C. Black is the NFL editor for Yahoo! Sports.

Updated on Sunday, Sep 16, 2007 10:53 pm, EDT
 09-16-2007, 09:39 PM         #193
luda06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If the Lions can get some type of run game going, they're going to be scary this season. The defense won this game again, because the Vikings were just as good as the Lions without Kitna. I'm just glad he was able to return.
 10 years ago '04        #194
space
space
Lions QB Kitna leaves in second quarter
September 16, 2007

DETROIT (Ticker) - Detroit Lions quarterback Jon Kitna left Sunday's game in the second quarter against the Minnesota Vikings with an undisclosed injury.

Kitna had taken several hards before leaving. He completed 13-of-21 passes for 151 yards and a touchdown with an interception.

Kitna was replaced by J.T. O'Sullivan.
 10 years ago '06        #195
Honolulu Blue 30 heat pts30 OP
space
space
$17,164 | Props total: 608 608
 luda06 said:
If the Lions can get some type of run game going, they're going to be scary this season. The defense won this game again, because the Vikings were just as good as the Lions without Kitna. I'm just glad he was able to return.
the d stepped up, but dont get carried away saying they won the game. we wouldnt even be in the game if the offense didnt put up scores. the offense put up the points and defense held their ground. we need to work on our special teams though.
 09-16-2007, 10:02 PM         #196
luda06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Comic Book Guy said:
the d stepped up, but dont get carried away saying they won the game. we wouldnt even be in the game if the offense didnt put up scores. the offense put up the points and defense held their ground. we need to work on our special teams though.

The defense won that game for us man. If the D didn't hold up during Kitna's absence, the Lions would have been in some trouble. They held it down all the way into OT, and before that. Whenever 'ol boy had a turnover, the defense forced another one right back. They put the clamps on in the second half, and kept the game knotted for Kitna's return.

We already know if there wasn't an injury, the Lions would have r*ped the Vikings, but I love this Lions D.
 10 years ago '04        #197
space
space
defense.... our d was horrible ten turnovers in that game.. we need to be able to stop the run more effectively, and not along 3rd and long conversions....

our offense is potent but no more drops, and fumbles and shyt... geez thats almost k!lled us
 09-16-2007, 10:18 PM         #198
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
dang that backup qb was scarin me im glad kitna came back and im kinda settled on havin a straight back up but im glad he got his first snaps during the minnesota game and not the bears
 09-16-2007, 10:21 PM         #199
luda06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 LordMason DaRula said:
defense.... our d was horrible ten turnovers in that game.. we need to be able to stop the run more effectively, and not along 3rd and long conversions....

our offense is potent but no more drops, and fumbles and shyt... geez thats almost k!lled us
They stopped the run almost entirely in the second half. The defense seems to pick up dramatically during that point of the game. We've saw them clamp down on the Raiders last week in the second, and when Kitna was gone, they manned up for real. It's like they intentionally do that or something. This time it really mattered since, our offense sucked during that time frame.
 09-17-2007, 06:48 AM         #200
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 airmcnair06 said:
^shhhiiiitt

everybody tryna give us a look now. We gon prove ourself next week though. Ya'll can't say sh*t about us not playing credible teams after we win that game
O O dont get it twisted son...fu*k the lions they still grabge to me...and the viks and the bears

but i only say that in a freindly gesture.....i love this division..the better yall are...the better the packs get..and the more looks our division get

soon peopel gona be like...ddammmnnnnn black n blue divsion is back...or damnit man we gota face off with em n*ggas in the nfc north
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Kingdom Cum
59 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Damn Kylie
58 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Shaq & Chuck Back At It... Big Aristotle Threatening The Fade
71 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside 10 Life Hacks That Will Change Your Adult Life
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside May 23 - Police: Woman Hands ‘Blunt’ To Officer During Traffic Stop
112 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 30 Is the New 50: "Old Age" is Killing My Dating Life
183 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dad gives son’s handmade cardboard Nintendo Switch a massive, heartwar..
80 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside May 23 - President Trump's $4.1 TRILLION budget proposal in a nutshell
216 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy