Dallas Cowboys

most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
69 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
261 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
77 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-14-2007, 10:49 PM         #441
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Mickey Spagnola
DallasCowboys.com Columnist
June 14, 2007 4:38 PM

"Red Ball: Cool, Calm, Collected"

IRVING, Texas - Maybe it wasn't so much the questions that made me sort of laugh to myself, but the tone of the questions.

They acted as if Jason Garrett had just fallen off the turnip cart; as if here was this bright, shiny new offensive coordinator shipped to the Cowboys and had just been taken out of the box.

Ha!

Maybe they forgot Garrett has been around the NFL block a time or three. He played 12 seasons, seven for the Cowboys, four for the New York Giants and another with Tampa Bay. That's 11 years in pretty big media markets.

Played, though, is a matter of speaking. He mostly was a backup or third-team quarterback all those years. So that means he watched, keenly observed without the pressure of having to constantly worry about his performance how the big boys handled themselves - the Troy Aikmans, Jimmy Johnsons, Norv Turners, Ernie Zampeses, Jim Fassels, Kerry Collinses, Sean Paytons and Jon Grudens. Then he worked two seasons for the tough Nick Saban, and on a staff with such NFL veteran coaches as Dom Capers, Hudson Houck and Mike Mularkey.

Says he was always one of those guys who asked a lot of questions, and knowing him, and having worked with him during a two-day broadcast school seminar, probably asked a lot of those why questions. Also says his keen curiosity in meeting rooms sometimes frustrated his coaches "until they threw the eraser at me."

Hey, the guy went to Princeton, OK? No slough-offs allowed, even if you can play football. So in most cases during these interviews, advantage Garrett.

Or as Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips says, taking a little jab with his wry sense of humor, "I don't like that he went to Princeton and is so smart."

So last week, while walking off the field amid all the hullabaloo over missed OTA practices, Garrett was immediately confronted: Since you're the guy installing the new offense, how big a deal is it to you that your two veteran receivers (see Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn) have not had full participation in these OTA's?

Loaded, right? Cornered already?

Please. Let's listen.

"I think we had a really productive first mini-camp with the guys, and we had a little bit of an opportunity to be with them in the teaching sessions," Garrett knowingly began his filibuster. "I came in here with the mindset we wouldn't have a chance to have Terrell until training camp and obviously he's done a great job with his rehab to get his hand right and is keeping himself in great shape to come in here and run around. To have a chance to have he and Terry here on the first day (of mini-camp) has been really good.

"One of the things we wanted to talk about as a staff going into this off-season is, where are the other guys. And we've had a great opportunity to see the other guys - the Sam Hurds, the Miles Austins, and those guys, so it's really been a good situation. Both of those guys are pros. They know what to do. It's been good to have them out here in the mini-camps getting a little extra work with Tony (Romo)."

So your point was?

Persistence is a great quality of the media: But Jason, wouldn't you have rather it the other way, meaning Owens and Glenn here working every single day of the off-season?

"The problem with coaches is that we'd rather have them out here 365 days out of the year to get better and better and better," Garrett said. "I think we found a happy medium, and we're sensitive with our older players how much work we're getting in. Physically, you want to make sure they are ready to play in September . . . so we've been really pleased with their effort and work ethic."

See what I mean? Wise beyond his coaching years, but less we forget, Jason Garrett, who by the way played on three Super Bowl teams during his career, is 41 years old - older than even Troy Aikman. And his game-day locker nearly always was next to 8-Ball's, so the unassuming Red-Ball, sort of blending in as if mere woodwork, keenly listened to how these post-game grilling sessions went. Believe me, he probably took better mental notes than most reporters took physically.

Of course designing an offense and calling plays in the NFL is much more difficult than diffusing a rabid media, which he did so effortlessly, it was almost comical.

But here's what I'm getting at for those a tad concerned Garrett will be in over his head this season, and this is not to say there won't be a learning curve for even an Ivy Leaguer this season. You got to like his composure, and if nothing else, the guy calling your plays better not be all emotional, flying off the handle and making rash decisions.

That guy has to be prepared. This guy, shoot, go worry about something else.

That guy can't be stubborn, and I've seen a stubborn or two offensive coordinators come through here during my day. Jason, oh, he'll listen all right, and even when he listens to you, you get the feeling he's filtering what you're saying as you speak.

And maybe, too, your offensive guy needs to have a little aura about him, not to be confused with aloofness, which some guys think is a suitable substitute. Just this presence the players will recognize, a cool combination of wanting to be around the guy yet knowing not to cross him.

"He has a real feel even though he is a real sharp guy," said Phillips, a tad more serious after taking his playful jab. "But there are a lot of smart people with not a lot of common sense - no offense to those people. He's got a feel about him that he can relate real well to all the other people.

"He gets the point over. I think the great thing about him, and especially with the guys who have played the game, is that they tend to hold the players accountable. If they were accountable as players, they tend to hold that over players, and he does a real good job of that."

Now of course, all these are but indicators, just clues of what Jason Garrett might be - might become - as an offensive coordinator for the Cowboys, this year and maybe for years to come. And even he knows no one in this league is judged by intangibles.

Wins and losses, baby. Points. Decisions.

But the guy, to me, is a cool customer, and you'll love the way he handled this loaded question, and one fudged a little because the previous day when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked if he thought Owens would be a bigger key in the team's offense this year - the a.ssumption I guess being now that the stubborn Bill Parcells is gone - he said, "I thought he was a key part last year," sort of taking exception to the question.

But the truth didn't stop someone from quizzing Garrett about Jones saying he expected Owens to be a bigger part of the offense this year. Oh boy, here ya go, backing the new coordinator into a corner.

Please. Listen.

"Terrell Owens is a good player, Terry Glenn is a good player, Jason Witten is a good player, the runners are good players, the line is good, so as a coach, you are really excited about that and you want to try to feature every one of those guys," said Garrett, the question merely putty in his hands. "If there is anything I learned here from my time playing is that the coach (Norv and Ernie) did a great job of that. We did things that Emmitt Smith did well, what Jay Novacek did well, and Michael Irvin and Alvin Harper, and on down the line. And obviously with the quarterback. And those guys were very good players and we did a lot of things well, and I don't want to make comparisons to those guys, but we're excited about our group and working with them and getting them to execute at a high level."

Makes you sort of smile.

"(Owens has) been really good, really good," Garrett said. "He's a guy I heard a lot of great things about as a practice player throughout his career, from guys who have coached him and from guys who have played with him, and that's what I found out so far. He's an interested guy. We've been trying to talk to him about what his role is, and he's been very receptive to that."

Talk about diffusing a bomb?

But that's Garrett, and never once becoming confrontational or defensive or flustered - never letting 'em see him sweat.

Exactly what you're looking for.
 06-15-2007, 09:16 AM         #442
Black_Deuce  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 10 years ago '05        #443
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
I can't wait to see what Garrett does with this offense. He's a smart dude, I'd imagine he's drawing up some good sh*t
 06-15-2007, 05:40 PM         #444
2suave4tv  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Damn hope these changes make a difference, but after last season'd defensive melt down they can't be a whole lot worse.
 10 years ago '04        #445
quamir14 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$1,238 | Props total: 0 0
fu*k DALLAS!!!

[pic - click to view]

I'M Just warming up for the season...
 06-17-2007, 06:49 PM         #446
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 quamir14 said:
fu*k PHILLY!!!

[pic - click to view]

McNabb's out for the season... AGAIN!
I fixed it for you...now kick rocks up outta this thread and take that ugly-b00ty'd b*tch in your avy with you, f*g.:finger:

Last edited by texasplayboy_23; 06-17-2007 at 06:57 PM..
 06-17-2007, 07:43 PM         #447
Black_Deuce  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 texasplayboy_23 said:
I fixed it for you...now kick rocks up outta this thread and take that ugly-b00ty'd b*tch in your avy with you, f*g.:finger:
:wow: :eek: :omg: :eek: :wow:

E.T.H.E.R.E.D. like Nas did Jay-Z :hang: :hang:

*watches the blood dry on the wall*

Last edited by Black_Deuce; 06-17-2007 at 07:45 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #448
BoSox84 
space
space
 06-17-2007, 09:38 PM         #449
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Only certain people have earned the pass to be formidable sh*t talkers...he obviously didn't know any better.

Here lies Queermir14...

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by texasplayboy_23; 06-17-2007 at 09:41 PM..
 06-17-2007, 10:06 PM         #450
Black_Deuce  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lmmfaooo

that was soo harsh
 10 years ago '05        #451
Jaiden05 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,411 | Props total: 395 395
just a little something to get us pumped

10 years ago '04        #452
JBeezy 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,932 | Props total: 405 405
fu*k Greg Ellis, you aren't that valuble you fu*king bum. The only reason your sorry a.ss started last year is because Bobby Carpenter was a rookie and Bill didn't trust him. Hold out for all I fu*king care, retire, do something besides run your fu*king mouth. You're a garbage a.ss OLB and should be more worried about getting back into the DE rotation rather than a contract negotiation.
 06-22-2007, 07:41 PM         #453
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jaiden05 said:
just a little something to get us pumped

:applause: Pumped was an understatement...I think I woke some people up.

Jason Hatcher's a beast, I love him in the nickel. I wish Bobby Carpenter could start, but Ayodele and James are handlin their business, so don't know how that's going to happen.

Demarcus Ware>>>>>_______

**exits thread to shop online for Ware jersey**:D

Last edited by texasplayboy_23; 06-22-2007 at 10:35 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #454
Jaiden05 23 heat pts23
space
space
Did u you some the two hit from T.NEW. I hope we blitz a lil more.
 10 years ago '05        #455
Jaiden05 23 heat pts23
space
space
I wish I lived a lil closer ( I'm in Pittsburgh) I want to get to game so bad.
 06-23-2007, 05:27 AM         #456
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jaiden05 said:
I wish I lived a lil closer ( I'm in Pittsburgh) I want to get to game so bad.
Damn homie, I never realized you were in PA...well count your blessings, then jump out of your chair and say "thank God I'm not in Alaska!"

10 years ago '05        #457
BoSox84 
space
space
 10 years ago '05        #458
Jaiden05 23 heat pts23
space
space
Yall should seen it in 95 I was about to get k!lled. Phuk the steelers
 06-23-2007, 06:26 PM         #459
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
One game I will NEVER go to...Cowboys on the road against the Eagles.:sick:
 10 years ago '05        #460
Jaiden05 23 heat pts23
space
space
^^^^ oh damn didn't think of that^^^^ hmmmmmmmmm.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
279 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
21 comments
1 day ago