The Pittsburgh Steelers

most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
82 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Snoop Dogg Issues Warning To George Zimmerman: I Have Jay-Z’s Back
80 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Offset got a new $70k Ric Flair chain
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTensionCord Got Sent To Prison Cause He Post Court Info On IG & His..
34 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-18-2007, 11:55 AM         #181
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
whats up utmost. I tried to hit you with some props but it said I got to spead some rep first. I hear ya. I been busy as sh*t too. Damn NFL never putting the game on TV lol.
 10 years ago '05        #182
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,495 | Props total: 129 129

[pic - click to view]

Starters to see more playing time vs. Redskins

The Steelers first-team will see more playing time on Saturday against the Washington Redskins, something that is normal at this point in the preseason.

"Tentatively we're going to play our first groups a lot longer than what we've done at this point," said coach Mike Tomlin. "But, like always, we're going to be prepared to play it by ear. But it's our intention to play guys more in this game."

Willie Parker is expected to see his first game action of the preseason as is first-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons and linebacker James Harrison, all who were injured during camp.

The game will be another opportunity to evaluate not just the individual players, but where the team is at as they prepare for the regular season.

"We have to take another step toward game readiness as a football team," said Tomlin. "We have to become a hardened unit. We have to master the things that require no talent. We talk about those things.

"Everybody is capable of knowing what to do, and we have to play better from an a.ssignment standpoint than we've played. Everybody is capable of playing at maximum speed and playing hard and finishing; we've done that pretty well, but by no means have we reached the ceiling in that regard. We have to continue to turn the volume up on the things that are not talent-related. We think that's going to determine how good we are as a football team."

The Steelers made it through two-a-day practices, hot and humid weather, torrential rains and power outages to survive their first training camp under Tomlin.

"He put us through a hard camp," said defensive end Brett Keisel. "I think coming in as a first-year coach you kind of need to do that and see which guys you have on board and which guys are going to fall by the wayside. It was a tough camp, but we made it."

The three remaining preseason games will be an opportunity for young players to battle it out for a roster spot and one guy who is right in the mix battling is wide receiver Walter Young, who spent part of two seasons on the team's practice squad.

"You have to take advantage of the opportunities that you are given," said Young. "Whether it's in practice or in the games, you have to make plays."

"I'm trying to go out and make plays and give myself a chance. So far, I think I've done that. But I still believe I have a long way to go."
 10 years ago '05        #183
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Process continues vs. Redskins

LATROBE, Pa. – Even though the Steelers will be leaving St. Vincent College on Friday, there still are three more preseason games to play, including Saturday's 8 p.m. game against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field.

What this means is that even though training camp is over, the evaluation process is not, because as Coach Mike Tomlin said, "We're always defined by how we perform inside stadiums on weekends."

Following the loss to the Packers on Aug. 11, Tomlin challenged his players to "finish" training camp; he didn't want to "ooze" to the finish. That has been accomplished to his satisfaction, but in his mind it needs to be followed up with a quality performance against the Redskins.

"We've had some spirited practices, we've had some competitive practices this week," said Tomlin. "These guys compete. You look back two days ago at those running backs vs. linebackers; defensive ends vs. tight ends going on; wideouts vs. DBs – no matter what situation we put these guys in, they respond and they compete with great passion. I like that about this football team.

"We had a very good practice (Wednesday). We'll continue to put one foot in front of the other. We need to stay focused and have a great day today and really finish this thing strong. From the standpoint of accepting that challenge thus far, they've done a good job. What we do today, on Friday and ultimately what we do in Washington on Saturday is going to define how they answered that challenge."

There is the challenge to the team as a whole, but there are also some challenges to individuals that he'll be watching as well. Some of those individuals were presented to Tomlin for his evaluation on Thursday morning.

Wide receiver Walter Young entered the NFL in 2003, and his first training camp with the Steelers was in 2004. He has spent a couple of seasons on the team's practice squad, and he played in two games in 2006 because of injury. In past camps, Young has been victimized either by his own injuries or the numbers at his position. This summer, Young has stayed healthy, and he has four catches for 85 yards and a touchdown in the first two preseason games.

"He's on the brink, as are a lot of other guys," said Tomlin. "That's a good problem to have. You love the competition, you love guys who are f!ghting, particularly a guy like him who has been close a few times, played a little ball in this league and is looking for a breakthrough. I was joking with Carey Davis – he said this is his fourth training camp. You have to have respect for men who've been denied multiple times and they keep coming back and they still have that fire in their eye trying to get it done. I like those guys. You root for those guys from a humanistic standpoint, but the reality is we have to keep the best 53."

Center Marvin Philip made the roster last season as a sixth-round draft pick from California. Jeff Hartings' retirement opened up a spot there, and Philip has been working at both center and guard trying to keep his spot on the roster.

"Marvin has done some good things," said Tomlin. "Marvin has to do a little better from an a.ssignment standpoint. Like we were talking about earlier, part of us growing as a team and also individually is handling the things that are not talent-related, and knowing what to do is first and foremost. He's got to play at a higher level from that standpoint if he wants to get in the conversation with Sean Mahan and Chukky Okobi. But he's young, he's a willing worker and he's coming in here every day."

Another young offensive lineman is Trai Ess3x, a third-round pick who started four games as a rookie in 2005 because of injuries to Marvel Smith. He has not played in another regular season game at left tackle since.

"I think he has gotten better, consistently better," said Tomlin. "I think he's improving technically. He's a developing player, and really he's at the point in his career where he needs to be a developing player. We've had frank discussions about that – he and I – and I think he's answering the call."

Undrafted rookie running back Gary Russell leads the team in rushing after two preseason games with 97 yards on 17 carries (5.7 average).

"He's shown what he's capable of from a ball carrying standpoint," said Tomlin. "We want to see what he's capable of in some other areas – pass protection, so forth – and see if he can participate in the passing game a little bit. He's a sharp young guy, a competitor, but the job description calls for a complete back, so we want to see what he can do when the ball is not in his hands."

STEELERS NOTES: The only players who have been ruled out of the game because of injury are Chris Hoke (knee) and Darnell Stapleton (knee) … Marvel Smith (back) will have his status evaluated closer to game time, and Tomlin said No. 1 pick Lawrence Timmons will see his first action as a pro. "We anticipate Lawrence playing some," said Tomlin. "How much will be determined by conditioning and what he's capable of handling from an a.ssignment standpoint. But so far he's shown he's getting sharp from an a.ssignment standpoint. Of course, he's a rookie and he hasn't played a bunch of snaps, but it's obvious he has taken advantage of the mental reps and the classroom work."
 08-19-2007, 02:35 PM         #184
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Steelers rally to defeat Redskins, 12-10

Things started off sluggish for the Steelers with the first-team managing just three points, but a late rally and strong defensive play down the stretch secured a 12-10 win over the Washington Redskins.

The Steelers were down 10-3 at the start of the fourth quarter, but Connor Hughes added three field goals to give the team their second win in the preseason.

The first-team pla
yed the entire first half, and Ben Roethlisberger finished with eight of 12 for 87 yards, most of those yards coming on the team's final drive of the half. Santonio Holmes had two receptions for 51 yards while Nate Washington had three catches for 44 yards.

Defensively the starters brought pressure, but were unable to stop the Redskins on third down for much of the first .

"If you look at third down we had great pressure on the quarterback," said head coach Mike Tomlin. "We had guys unblocked. They weren't in a bunch of long third downs. Three or four of them in the first half they threw the ball to the guy in the flat and he caught the ball at the sticks.

"The pressure was awesome. We had guys unblocked off the ends but they got rid of the football. They knew where they wanted to go with it and we have to do a better job of underneath coverage."

But there was a never-say-die attitude and it resulted in the come from behind win.

"What I do like about this team is they are competitors," said head coach Mike Tomlin. "They smile in the face of adversity. We stayed in the f!ght tonight to the end. I like that. We found a way to finish this football game.

"When we do identify problems we make them disappear. As long as we continue to eliminate problems that occur we'll continue to move forward in terms of being a good football team."

In the first quarter the Steelers offense couldn't muster anything, managing just 15 yards, while the defense struggled to get off the field, giving up 103 yards and struggling to stop the Redskins on third down.

The Redskins offense started off sluggish, with Ladell Betts being stopped for no gain and quarterback Jason Campbell fumbling the snap, and recovering his own fumble, for a loss of two yards on the play. On third-and-12, though Campbell hit Chris Cooley for a 14-yard gain for the first down.

Betts was stopped again for no gain, and Campbell threw incomplete to Santana Moss, but again the Steelers couldn't stop the Redskins on third down when Campbell found Antwaan Randle El for a 12-yard gain. Campbell completed a 10-yard pass to Moss for a first down at the Steelers 42-yard line and went back to him for a four-yard gain to the 38.

Rookie LaMarr Woodley, the team's second round pick, stepped up big, sacking Campbell for a four-yard loss and forcing a punt.

Roethlisberger came out firing connecting with Hines Ward for a 10-yard gain to open the game, but that is about all of the offense the Steelers would come up with in the opening quarter. Willie Parker was stopped for a one-yard loss on his first carry of the preseason and that was followed by a short gain to Heath Miller, forcing the Steelers to punt.

Betts came out with short runs setting up a third-and-five, but the defense couldn't stop them again as Campbell hit Cooley for a six-yard gain. Betts added a four-yard gain before Redskins faithful got a scare. Campbell completed a 29-yard pass to Cooley, but was hit on the play by Brett Keisel and left the game with a knee injury. Keisel was called for roughing the passer, but immediately went over to Campbell as he was heading off the field to make sure he was all right.

Todd Collins came in at quarterback and finished off the drive connecting with Brandon Lloyd for a seven-yard touchdown to give the Redskins a 7-0 lead.

The Steelers got the ball back at the end of the first quarter and put it in Parker's hands, who had gains of three and four yards. But on third down Roethlisberger's short pass to Ward was sniffed out by the defense and he was stopped for a four-yard loss.

The defense started to pick up the intensity in the second quarter, holding the Redskins to only 12 yards. Derrick Blaylock made a 10-yard reception on third down, but was stopped for a one-yard loss on the next play. On third-and-nine, Deshea Townsend blitzed and sacked Collins for a nine-yard loss.

The Steelers weren't able to do anything when they got the ball back and had a quick three-and-out. But the defense did their job again, with Clark Haggans and Ryan Clark combining for a nine-yard sack of Collins to stop another drive.

Roethlisberger and company took over with 5:40 on the clock and got things moving. Holmes had a nice 22-yard reception and Roethlisberger scrambled for a nine-yard gain for another first down. An exchange problem between Roethlisberger and center Sean Mahan resulted in a fumble, but Roethlisberger quickly recovered. He went back to Holmes for a 29-yard gain to the Redskins 31-yard line.

With only two minutes to play in the half the Steelers went to the no-huddle offense and came up with big plays, with Verron Haynes breaking off right guard for 11 yards and Ward making an eight yard reception to the Redskins 12-yard line.

"We felt like we were getting out-tempoed a lot bit," said Tomlin of switching to the no-huddle. "We wanted to change the playing field. I think it helped us."

Ward pulled in a six-yard reception to give the Steelers the ball at the three-yard line, and despite putting up 106 yards in the quarter, they couldn't add three-more yards to punch it into the end zone and Jeff Reed came on for a 21-yard field, sending them into the locker room at halftime down 7-3.

The Steelers opened the second half with Charlie Batch at quarterback and went three-and-out on their first possession.

Collins remained under center for the Redskins and engineered an 11-play drive that ate up over six and a half minutes and was capped by a 48-yard field goal by Shaun Suisham, extending the lead to 10-3.

Ricardo Colclough fielded the ensuing kickoff, and after struggling last season, looked good with a 51-yard return. But it would be for not as offsetting penalties brought it back and the Redskins kicked again, with Colclough returning this one 16 yards to the Steelers 21-yard line.

Haynes, who is f!ghting to remain in the mix at running back, had an eight-yard reception and followed it with a three-yard run. Batch then hit Washington for a five-yard gain and Batch's two-yard burst up the middle gave them a first down at their own 43-yard line.

Scoring Summary
1st Quarter

TD Brandon Lloyd, 7 yd pass from Todd Collins (Shaun Suisham kick is good), 01:37. Drive: 11 plays, 79 yards in 5:50
2nd Quarter
FG Jeff Reed, 21 yd field goal , 00:02. Drive: 16 plays, 84 yards in 5:40
3rd Quarter
FG Shaun Suisham, 48 yd field goal , 06:13. Drive: 11 plays, 50 yards in 6:38
4th Quarter
FG Connor Hughes, 28 yd field goal , 12:17. Drive: 13 plays, 69 yards in 8:52
FG Connor Hughes, 22 yd field goal , 07:20. Drive: 7 plays, 18 yards in 3:16
FG Connor Hughes, 19 yd field goal , 01:34. Drive: 12 plays, 51 yards in 4:32

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by flex001; 08-19-2007 at 02:36 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #185
thegame23 
space
space
space
$156 | Props total: 0 0
Whats goin' on in here fella's? Its been like a week...just stoppin' through to see how everyone's doin and what they are thinkin' now that there's only two more preseason games left.
 10 years ago '05        #186
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
^^well we serious this year...sh*t is lookin good on both sides of the ball so i just want regular season to roll on
 08-24-2007, 09:03 PM         #187
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I agree with you ^ Get this sh*t going. Atleast the game on sunday is finally on TV I get to watch them. So whats up with everyone? We ready to start F###in all them haters up as soon as we start blowin these teams out???

Last edited by Krieger08; 08-24-2007 at 09:05 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #188
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
 Krieger08 said:
I agree with you ^ Get this sh*t going. Atleast the game on sunday is finally on TV I get to watch them. So whats up with everyone? We ready to start F###in all them haters up as soon as we start blowin these teams out???
please believe
 08-26-2007, 10:33 AM         #189
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
8 and a half more hours and its kick off. So far all the other games looked good. I hope this one is the same.
 08-26-2007, 11:42 AM         #190
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hahaha this joker thinks the eagles better. We didnt even have to start winning before the haters started coming out. They already scared of us. But good reason to be. Will McNabb make it threw the game without getting hurt? how many games will he make it threw this season I wonder. We'll see how the game goes in a little over 7 hours dogg.

Last edited by Krieger08; 08-26-2007 at 11:43 AM..
 10 years ago '05        #191
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
 FACEMOB1 said:
The best team in Pistolvania will win today (EAGLES HOE!)
get it right...
 08-26-2007, 10:31 PM         #192
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I guess the best team in Pennsilvinia won huh? You see them sit McNabb. They were scared he was going to get hurt out there lol. Our D is looking bad a.ss
 10 years ago '05        #193
thegame23 
space
space
space
Great game....good performances. The Eagle fan sure left this thread in a hurry don't ya think?
 08-30-2007, 10:19 PM         #194
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah thats how its going to be all season lol. There all going to come in here talking there sh*t and then be quiet and gone by the end.
 10 years ago '05        #195
thegame23 
space
space
space
Where's everybody at?? Well another win....pretty boring game tho. Finally the preseason is over!!!!! Bring on dem' Cleveland Brownie's !!!
 10 years ago '05        #196
thegame23 
space
space
space
I forgot to add what does everyone think about the roster cuts? Who do you think is going and who is stayin?
 09-01-2007, 08:38 PM         #197
Dark5859  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Steelers runnin sh*t, Ben's been on fire.
 09-01-2007, 10:10 PM         #198
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 FACEMOB1 said:
The best team in Pistolvania will win today (EAGLES HOE!)
 FACEMOB1 said:
at you n*ggaz gettin all hyped about a preseason game....

Wow. Look how your words change now that your team didnt do what you thought they would.
 10 years ago '04        #199
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,418 | Props total: 3480 3480
 Krieger08 said:
I guess the best team in Pennsilvinia won huh? You see them sit McNabb. They were scared he was going to get hurt out there lol. Our D is looking bad a.ss
You're a Steelers d*ckryder from Cali and can't even spell Pennsylvania.

10 years ago '04        #200
shadymilkman 10 heat pts10
space
space
space
$4,512 | Props total: 12 12
we cut Dallas Baker... was hopin we would keep him he was the truth at Florida
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
122 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
83 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
88 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
69 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
49 comments
23 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
172 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
36 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy