please explain to me what "owning your masters" means

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '06        #1
13799 pageviews
10 comments

twenty1 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,134 | Props total: 107 107
please explain to me what "owning your masters" means

it's the kind of thing that sounds like a rarity. in the movie "ray", when ray charles says that he wants to own his masters, the look he gets is one of disbelief. only recently has jay-z gotten to own his masters. tried to google this to find out but, not finding anything that just, in dictionary-type format, says what it means to own your masters. can anyone help?

10 comments for "please explain to me what "owning your masters" means"

11 years ago '04        #2
sinistababy 
space
space
$3,761 | Props total: 89 89
Aight... to own your masters means to own the reels that the songs were recorded on... when you sign a record deal you have given up your rights to your own work meaning they have the power to distribute, sell, etc. your work for whatever price they choose... but if you own our masters, you can do what you want with them and can be a valuable a.sset to your financial history... That's why more peole are going independent because they can do whatever they want with their masters...

Last edited by sinistababy; 02-03-2007 at 01:37 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #3
Mr. Future 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,175 | Props total: 1794 1794
research.
 11 years ago '06        #4
twenty1 2 heat pts OP
space
space
$1,134 | Props total: 107 107
so to take that a step further, would it be reasonable to think that by going independent and owning your masters, in a way, you take a risk of being not as likely to blow up, which you have a better chance of doing if you sign with a major label to get a deal?

props for the quick response.
 11 years ago '04        #5
sinistababy 
space
space
$3,761 | Props total: 89 89
 twenty1 said:
so to take that a step further, would it be reasonable to think that by going independent and owning your masters, in a way, you take a risk of being not as likely to blow up, which you have a better chance of doing if you sign with a major label to get a deal?

props for the quick response.
It depends on how far you wanna take your music and how much you are willing to spend (in an independnt situation)... I mean some entertainers do pretty well independently and are comfortable without a major...

edit: my keyboard is fu*kin' up lol... so excuse my spellings

Last edited by sinistababy; 02-03-2007 at 01:38 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #6
Mr. Future 2 heat pts
space
space
space

the sh*ts long as hell
 11 years ago '06        #7
YERCELL 
space
space
$3,970 | Props total: 0 0
 Mr. Future said:
research.
Well obviously he at least looked, and he's asking for help. I'm pretty sure that's a part of research.
 11 years ago '06        #8
Mr. Future 2 heat pts
space
space
space
 Mr. Future said:

the sh*ts long as hell
:iagree:
 11 years ago '04        #9
Adwerdz 318 heat pts318
space
space
$32,655 | Props total: 23084 23084
to be honest, Masters are the final quality product after the engineer has set all the levels right for cd audio play, this means that the record label done spent cake to make that happen and the artist didn't. So basically the label is like u can't own the final product and make profit off of it for yourself, so none of that sh*t leaves the studio.

To sum things up, you're just a fu*king cow being milked and they own ur milk and make money off u and when ur not spittin quality milk anymore ur ready to be fed to the lions. Then they make a best of cd and make more cake off you!

Dirty business
 11 years ago '04        #10
5Deezy 
space
space
$605 | Props total: 9 9
 Adwerdz said:
to be honest, Masters are the final quality product after the engineer has set all the levels right for cd audio play, this means that the record label done spent cake to make that happen and the artist didn't. So basically the label is like u can't own the final product and make profit off of it for yourself, so none of that sh*t leaves the studio.

To sum things up, you're just a fu*king cow being milked and they own ur milk and make money off u and when ur not spittin quality milk anymore ur ready to be fed to the lions. Then they make a best of cd and make more cake off you!

Dirty business
xactly, u can still own yo masters if u on a major tho, u just got do a clause in yo contract, thats why Mike Jackson still got money, He owns his masters and he bought da beatles sh*t, LL owns his masters because he been With def Jam x amount of years, so he gets to keep his masters.

so now if movies commercials or whatever wanna use your song u get 100% profit
 11 years ago '04        #11
KAL Worth 
space
space
$4,488 | Props total: 0 0
Thats what sucks about being on major, at some point your masters are owned by the company that signed you. If you play your cards right, you can set a clause in your contract that says something to the effect that after you complete this part of your contract, you can own your masters. It could be x amount of years after you complete your record deal.

Ex. You sign a 3 album deal, everything goe smooth, and you release 3 albums, the clause could say after 5 years, the masters are yours. I forget what type of deal its called.

Thats why Suge Knight was caking it for a long time, he owned all of death Row Records masters, that mean Dr. Dre, Snoop, Tha Dogg Pound, 2pac :wow:

Now he owns nothing.

You can try to buy your masters aswell, but expect to pay a pretty penny for them!
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Holy Camel T0e 19-year-old Model Sofia Richie In White Bikini
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux - December 9?
1400 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside R.I.P. Polar Bears
106 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy