The Official 2007 / 2008 Boston Red Sox Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
240 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
60 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
249 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #621
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
 shonuff12 said:
give me a break. You act like the Red Sox are short on cash. They could easily sign A-Rod AND Sanatana

They can shell out 100 mil for Dice K, but not for A-Rod and Santana? Get real.

The difference is they don't want to. Henry spent 50 mil to buy a piece of Roush racing last year...he has MORE than enough money to get both Santana and A-Rod if he is willing to open his checkbook. He's worth over 800 million.
Half of that 100 mill for Dice-K is being made back up in merchandise. And yeah, they can probably avoid to, but they won't. And if they decide to spend money on ONE guy, I would rather it's Santana than A-Rod
 10 years ago '04        #622
GarySanchize24 239 heat pts239
space
space
$55,722 | Props total: 13115 13115
The Sox aren't trading Ellsbury and Buchholz for Santana so stop with the speculation.
 11-02-2007, 10:11 PM         #623
shonuff12 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BoSox84 said:
Half of that 100 mill for Dice-K is being made back up in merchandise. And yeah, they can probably avoid to, but they won't. And if they decide to spend money on ONE guy, I would rather it's Santana than A-Rod
you act like they couldn't sell A-Rod jerseys.

And of course you'd rather spend it on the dominant pitcher..who wouldn't?
 10 years ago '06        #624
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 stunna2004 said:
The Sox aren't trading Ellsbury and Buchholz for Santana so stop with the speculation.
who said anything about trading
 10 years ago '06        #625
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
 shonuff12 said:
you act like they couldn't sell A-Rod jerseys.

And of course you'd rather spend it on the dominant pitcher..who wouldn't?
i agree. they have the money to do so.. think about it you let Manny go, schilling, timlin and a couple of other guys and all of a sudden you have 100 million dollars to shell on santana..
quite frankly, they can sign both. however, i rather take a chance with AROD because as of right now there is no a power hitter that we can sign or trade (realistically)..we're not going to trade away our farm system for cabrera..we might sign him, but its not guaranteed..the yankees will be bidding for him aswell, the ONLY difference now, is that they;re not bidding now (in terms of AROD)..so i say take the chance and sign a power hitter while you still can.
Also, i know pitching beats hitting..but do we really need Santana when we have: Beckett, Daisuke, Buccholz, Lester and masterson/bowden (developing)
i mean sure it would be nice, but i think we're all set..

Last edited by Manny05; 11-03-2007 at 07:37 PM..
 11-03-2007, 09:59 PM         #626
shonuff12 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Manny05 said:
i agree. they have the money to do so.. think about it you let Manny go, schilling, timlin and a couple of other guys and all of a sudden you have 100 million dollars to shell on santana..
quite frankly, they can sign both. however, i rather take a chance with AROD because as of right now there is no a power hitter that we can sign or trade (realistically)..we're not going to trade away our farm system for cabrera..we might sign him, but its not guaranteed..the yankees will be bidding for him aswell, the ONLY difference now, is that they;re not bidding now (in terms of AROD)..so i say take the chance and sign a power hitter while you still can.
Also, i know pitching beats hitting..but do we really need Santana when we have: Beckett, Daisuke, Buccholz, Lester and masterson/bowden (developing)
i mean sure it would be nice, but i think we're all set..
You'd still rather have Santana than A-Rod because with a 1-2 of Beckett and Sanatana, it'd be over. Lowell fits in just fine at 3rd. Plus you could go after a Torri Hunter or something to play CF and move someone like Elsbury to left or vice versa..you get the point.

It is WAY easier to find a good hitter than it is to find a multiple cy young winner in his prime
 10 years ago '05        #627
Santoro 12 heat pts12 OP
space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
Well here we go again. The off season has officially begun. Timlin, Tavarez and Wakefield said they are both going to come back. Post any news, notes, rumors or whatever. Mods please move this.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Santoro; 11-04-2007 at 07:01 PM..
 11-04-2007, 06:51 PM         #628
Boston_Wins 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
WEAK!

at least add some pictures or something in the thread. Better yet delete it and let me make it.
 11-04-2007, 06:52 PM         #629
jordanshoes 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
CUBS bi*ch
 10 years ago '05        #630
Santoro 12 heat pts12 OP
space
space
Haters
 10 years ago '05        #631
Santoro 12 heat pts12 OP
space
space
Well I want the 2008 Thread to be a new thread. I guess just not yet, but then again the off season is here.
 11-05-2007, 02:19 AM         #632
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Whenever you make it I will lock this one and move the one you made to this section
 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM         #633
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
« Wake, Tavarez back | Main
November 4, 2007
Let the A-Rod meetings begin
By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff

ORLANDO - General managers began trickling into town Sunday to kick off the annual GM meetings on Monday.

Sox GM Theo Epstein had a relaxing dinner with his staff, which included manager Terry Francona and a.ssistants Jed Hoyer and Brian O'Halloran and will include Allard Baird and Ben Cherington. Epstein and staff watched the Patriots-Colts game in a group that also included San Diego general manager Kevin Towers and Arizona a.ssistant GM Peter Woodfork.

Epstein said Sunday night that talks have begun toward trying to re-sign Mike Lowell and Curt Schilling to new deals, but that nothing was close or imminent.

The Sox GM did everything possible to low-key any discussion surrounding Alex Rodriguez, who is telling close friends that he would like to play for the Red Sox. Low-key them or not, the meetings will likely see the spotlight squarely on Scott Boras, A-Rod's agent, who arrived here in Friday.

"I haven't talked to Scott (Boras) for a while," said Epstein concerning A-Rod's agent. "I'm sure we'll touch base with him here, just general, touching base with him. Right now we're focussed on our own guys. We're trying to survey the landscape. We're trying to see if you we can sign our own guys. See if anything makes sense and move on from there."

Boras is here in Orlando trying to peddle his high-priced client. He told this reporter in the Sunday notes that he has been pleasantly surprised by the number of inquiries on A-Rod and even surprised by a couple of teams that have expressed interest, but it doesn't appear the Red Sox would bite if the money remains at the numbers being bandied about. One report had Boras asking the Yankees for a $350 million deal over 10 years, which the Red Sox won't go anywhere near.

"Any discussions as to the contract terms is between the teams and ourselves," Boras told the a.ssociated Press. "It's clear for all of us that we're at the point now where we've got to do a lot of work with the teams involved and we're going to keep the information and dialogue with the clubs private and confidential as we go forward."

The last thing Epstein wants is a Lowell-A-Rod, either-or scenario to play out every day. Epstein seems to have a Plan B in mind if Lowell isn't re-signed and if Rodriguez isn't within reach.

"Like I said, right now we're focused on trying to sign Mike Lowell," Epstein reiterated.

Epstein also said he would like to enter the '08 season with similar starting pitching depth as he entered '07 with. While he doesn't have the comfort of a Kason Gabbard or Jon Lester or Clay Buchholz in reserve (those three went a combined 11-1), Lester and Buchholz will likely start the season in the rotation. If Schilling isn't re-signed, the Sox might try to add some depth to the rotation via trade.

One of Epstein's biggest chips will be Coco Crisp, who will be much sought-after, as it appears a forgone conclusion that Jacoby Ellsbury will be the team's starting center fielder.

"Last year we knew we were in pretty good shape because we had Gabbard, Buchholz coming up... (Kyle) Snyder and those guys all wound up coming up," Epstein said.

Concerning his depth in the outfield and whether he'll deal that depth (Crisp), Epstein said "Not necessarily. We have a lot of talent there. It does seem like when ever you make a move from a potential surplus position something always goes wrong and then you have a scarcity in that one area, so we won't deal away talent even if it looks like we have a potential surplus without very strong return."

Epstein also didn't rule out the team signing another Japanese player. Righthander Hiroki Kuroda, 32, is the hot name.

"We'll see. Ship (Craig Shipley) and the scouts have done a great job and have a good feel for what's available," Epstein said.

Epstein said that while the GM meetings will include the usual meeting with teams to discuss possible deals and meetings with agents on free-agents, he said "We've had the gathering information at the GM's meetings and then laying the foundation for a future deal. It's better to understand the big picture of the off-season and then follow through at the GM meetings or in the coming weeks. If the right move was there we wouldn't hesitate."

Otherwise, Epstein is serving as the co-chair of the meetings along with Florida GM Larry Beinfest. Pitch 'n' putt, three-on-three basketball and volleyball are the social functions on the agenda.

There will also be serious issues such as instant replay that will be discussed. There's a serious movement among some GMs and umpires to have some limited form of instant replay available.

Towers is looking for a center fielder (Crisp would have to be on his radar), though he indicated free-agent Mike Cameron, suspended 25 games for the use of a banned stimulant, might re-enter the picture give the fact his price tag, which was in the $12 million range, has likely suffered considerably as a result of his positive test.
Posted By: ncafardo
 10 years ago '05        #634
BoSox84 
space
space
 shonuff12 said:
You'd still rather have Santana than A-Rod because with a 1-2 of Beckett and Sanatana, it'd be over. Lowell fits in just fine at 3rd. Plus you could go after a Torri Hunter or something to play CF and move someone like Elsbury to left or vice versa..you get the point.

It is WAY easier to find a good hitter than it is to find a multiple cy young winner in his prime
Exactly. And again, the likelihood is that they only sign one of them. So I say fu*k A Rod, resign Lowell and make a run at Santana
 11-05-2007, 09:34 PM         #635
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Also they said Miggy Cabrera might get traded. They said the Phillies are trying to get him hard
 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM         #636
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Schilling reaches agreement with champs on deal

ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 6, 2007, 9:52 AM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Curt Schilling and the Boston Red Sox have reached an agreement on a one-year deal worth about $8 million in base salary and another $2 million in potential incentives, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

The agreement is pending Schilling, 40, passing a physical exam.

Curt Schilling

Schilling

On his Web site, 38pitches.com, Schilling gave an update on the negotiations.

"Talks with the Red Sox are moving," he wrote. "[Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein] and I have spoken multiple times daily over the past week and given the current situation I am feeling very confident that we will be able to finalize a 1 year contract to allow us a chance to finish our career as members of the Red Sox organization.

"There are some things to iron out and details that must be finalized for both sides but barring something unforseen or outrageously odd happening I feel very comfortable that I will finish my career here."

Schilling, who is not represented by an agent, went 9-8 with a 3.87 ERA last season. He won three games in the postseason, including Game 2 of the World Series on the way to Boston's sweep of the Colorado Rockies.

Schlling is a six-time All-Star who has been with the Red Sox for four of his 20 seasons.

The Boston Herald, which first reported that Schilling was near a deal with the Red Sox, reported that the Astros, Diamondbacks and Phillies all contacted Schilling on the first day of free agency. But Schilling posted on his Web site: "I made it clear to all three teams that my intent was to do whatever I could to resolve this and remain in Boston for the final year of my career."

In 2004, Schilling went 21-6 and helped lead the Red Sox to their first World Series title since 1918, but his velocity has since diminished.

After the Red Sox declined to give him an extension, Schilling said in February that he would become a free agent after the season. He said then he would return for Boston in 2008 for $13 million, the same salary he earned in 2007.

Information from The a.ssociated Press was used in this report.
 10 years ago '06        #637
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
 shonuff12 said:

excellent point. however, if the sox can get both by all means do so. but i agree, irather have santana over A-rod any day.
 10 years ago '05        #638
BoSox84 
space
space
I don't really know how I feel about Schill coming back. His postseason pedigree is unquestionable, but how well will he do during the regular season
 11-06-2007, 04:45 PM         #639
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
That is so cheap though. I mean 1 year pitchers can def get more then that. I think with our Payroll we can suffer a guy pitching 10 games but then becoming a force in the Playoffs
 10 years ago '05        #640
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72
space
space
$15,376 | Props total: 3 3
Lets hope Lowell comes back man.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
53 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
83 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
207 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy