The Official 2007 / 2008 Boston Red Sox Thread

most viewed right now
 NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
64 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
42 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
202 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-22-2007, 10:06 AM         #41
shonuff12 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 stunna2004 said:
there are reports that Papelpuke might be named the closer if no1 steps up this spring training
the sox should name him closer right now, they finally found someone and now he has to start?

the whole thing is just baffling to me, is his arm really that bad
 11 years ago '05        #42
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
Not sure where you read that, but the Sox have said all offseason that he'll be in the rotation and they have no intention of putting him in the bullpen
 11 years ago '05        #43
Santoro 12 heat pts12 OP
space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
1. Curt Schilling - He's solid, as always. He was 15-7 last year with a 3.97. sh*t he started out 4-0 last season, then went to 10-2. He just lost a little at the end of the year. Not to mention he lost his catcher in August and thats when most of his losses came in. He may be 40, but he still can pitch and I expect him to win at least 15 games this year. This free agent bullsh*t he is doing is fu*ked up. He needs to leave that alone right now.

2. Josh Beckett - The kid was k!lling it in the beginning of the year. Then he just started giving up way too many HRs and he lost some of his confidence because of it. And it was also his first year in the AL. He still managed to go 16-11 and if Veritek didn't go down I think he wouldn't have lost as many. Most of his losses came after Tek was gone for the year. Not to mention he's only 26 and has great veterans to learn from.

3. Daisuke Matsuzaka - We all know the story about Japanese pitchers. Almost none of them have lived up to their potential. But also none of them have been as good as Dice K coming out of Japan. The fu*king guy has 7 different pitches that he can throw at you, 7. Everyone is saying he has to face all these big hitters. I guess no one remembers the World Baseball Classic where he went 3-0 against some of the best. I think he is going to have a great career.

4. Jonathan Papelbon - I know relief pitching is totally different than starting pitching. But the pressure definitely is a lot worse in relief pitching because the game is in your hands and sometimes you're one pitch away from winning or losing. He proved he can handle the pressure. The main issue he will have is throwing that many innings and his shoulder. I think he will be just fine.

5. Tim Wakefield - He's 40 and probably should have retired. I like Wakefield, but his ERA hasn't been below 4 the last 4 years. The knuckle ball is such a complicated pitch. Batters hate it. But with Wakefield if its on, its on. If its off its way fu*king off and he gets k!lled. I don't think he should be in the 5 spot. Last year was a bad year for him because he was hurt. I'm hoping for at least 10-15 wins out of him.
 11 years ago '05        #44
BoSox84 
space
space
Some people think the Sox are making a mistake not extending Schill before the season. I'm completely in agreement with the Sox. He is over 40, so it's a good idea to make sure he doesn't fall off this year and then they're stuck with a big contract for a declining pitcher next year
 11 years ago '05        #45
BoSox84 
space
space
Matsuzaka throws side session for Sox
Boston players, management impressed by his level of focus
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The pitches kept coming. Jason Varitek kept squatting. And, finally, the epic side session of Daisuke Matsuzaka ended after 103 pitches.

Don't worry, there is a method to Matsuzaka's madness.

"It wasn't something he just dropped on us today," said Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein. "That bullpen today was a product of a lot of discourse and part of his very well thought-out, structured routine. It was impressive. Probably the thing that caught my attention the most is that he's in there 80, 90 pitches deep, he's still going through the stretch, he's still checking runners, he's still taking it like a real game situation. Every single pitch had a purpose."

To Matsuzaka, such a lengthy side session is commonplace.

"It was nothing out of the ordinary for me," said Matsuzaka. "I didn't speed up the pace of how I pitched either. I was trying to stick to what I'm used to in Japan and how I'm getting trained for the workout schedule here. I pitched more today, longer today, but nothing out of the ordinary."

It was Matsuzaka's third side session of camp and his final tune-up before he faces hitters in a live batting practice session on Saturday.

From his general manager to his manager to his pitching coach to his catcher, everyone seems impressed with the way Matsuzaka is going about his work.

"I think what continues to emerge is just the way he goes about his work and the precision," said Sox pitching coach John Farrell. "If there's a word to surmise his approach to his work, it's 'a precise manner.'"

Varitek is clearly enjoying the process of getting to know Matsuzaka.

"He has a great feel for all of his pitches," said Varitek. "He stays mechanically sound and has the ability to control the ball to both sides of the plate and add some giddy-up, too. He can put a little extra on it from what I've seen, too. He can gear down and gear back up. I think that's what makes him special, from so far what I've seen, than just raw stuff."

To those who watched, Matsuzaka's side session was almost a clinic.

"You almost wanted to videotape it and show it to our young guys in Minor League camp about how to get the most out of your practice," said Epstein.

Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
 11 years ago '05        #46
BoSox84 
space
space
Matsuzaka vs. Big Papi? Daisuke Matsuzaka is scheduled to throw his second round of batting practice Monday, and his competition might be far more intriguing this time around. After facing four Minor Leaguers on Saturday, there's a chance Matsuzaka will face off against the hitting group that includes David Ortiz, Wily Mo Pena and Julio Lugo.

Matsuzaka is scheduled to pitch on Field 5, which is where Ortiz's group has been doing its work.
 11 years ago '05        #47
Santoro 12 heat pts12 OP
space
space
 BoSox84 said:
Matsuzaka vs. Big Papi? Daisuke Matsuzaka is scheduled to throw his second round of batting practice Monday, and his competition might be far more intriguing this time around. After facing four Minor Leaguers on Saturday, there's a chance Matsuzaka will face off against the hitting group that includes David Ortiz, Wily Mo Pena and Julio Lugo.

Matsuzaka is scheduled to pitch on Field 5, which is where Ortiz's group has been doing its work.
You going to any of the games in Dunedin? I think I might go to the one this Thursday.

Willy Mo = The Next Manny. His swing is incredible. He just needs to learn better patience. Ron Jackson would have been great for this.
If Dice K can get it past those 3 that would be very very good.

Last edited by Santoro; 02-26-2007 at 12:25 PM..
 11 years ago '05        #48
BoSox84 
space
space
I'm gonna try to get to St. Pete if/when they play the D Rays down there. I went with Addison last year, and we were front row down the 3rd baseline talkin to Bill Hasselman and all the players that at some point or another made their way towards 3rd base. If they play at all in Fort Myers if I go home this month, I'll probably try to catch a game down there too
 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM         #49
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Matsuzaka is pitching today. The first couple of Innings will be on tv NESN. Then there gonna switch over to Hockey but you will get to see him pitch.
 11 years ago '05        #50
Santoro 12 heat pts12 OP
space
space
fu*k i need to get NESN. That's why I want to switch to Direct TV. fu*king brighthouse. Rakim let us know how he pitches.
 03-02-2007, 03:18 PM         #51
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
No doubt this game is huge.. Its funny NESN is only showing like the first hour then switching over to College Hockey.. lmao but ill do updates.. cant wait
 03-02-2007, 05:10 PM         #52
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1 Inning 1 Hit 2 Strikes out. Looked good after a double to start the inning
 03-02-2007, 05:29 PM         #53
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
2 Innings 1 hit 3 strike outs... Pretty good, he looked good. I mean it was BC and a fun game but everything looked good him n tek seemed to work fine. All in all just as id thought he would pitch
 11 years ago '06        #54
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
i saw the game and i was highly impress as to how well matsuzaka and tek got along..everything flow, and he looked sharp..although, i noticed that in his delivery, when hes about to throw his fastball, at the end he drops his leg faster compare as to him throwing a breaking ball..so hopefully tek can discover that and help him being consistent in his delivery..but overall, im very impress.
 11 years ago '05        #55
BoSox84 
space
space

11 years ago '05        #56
BoSox84 
space
space
Pap pitched 2 innings today against the Phils:

2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
 11 years ago '05        #57
BoSox84 
space
space
Lester's gonna pitch tomorrow in his first game action since he was diagnosed with lymphoma.
 11 years ago '06        #58
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
dam, i missed the game ^. how did he do?
 11 years ago '05        #59
BoSox84 
space
space
He threw 1 inning against the Twins, got through it in 8 pitches getting 3 groundouts
 11 years ago '05        #60
BoSox84 
space
space
Dice K's gonna get his first action against a Major League team tomorrow against the Marlins:

Matsuzaka ready for seconds: Fresh off his strong outing against Boston College, Daisuke Matsuzaka is set to face the Marlins on Tuesday in Jupiter in his first appearance against a Major League team.

Matsuzaka allowed one hit and no runs over his two-inning stint against BC, notching three strikeouts. In that start, Matsuzaka didn't get a true gauge of the Major League strike zone because college umpires handled the game.

"What I would really want to see is how the batters would react and also want to make sure what the strike zone in the U.S. is all about," said Matsuzaka. "I will be able to so [Tuesday] for the first time."

With nearly 100 media members expected to be on hand, the Marlins have set up an auxiliary press area in the outfield.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
29 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
280 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
67 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
135 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
43 comments
22 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
65 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nobody pulling out of Jesenia Echeverria :noahohno:
56 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL CBS James Brown Hairline Is Seriously Making Me Uncomfortable
114 comments
1 day ago