Atlanta Braves

most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
27 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
66 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 9 years ago '08        #721
Jeans&Sneakers 158 heat pts158
space
space
$4,356 | Props total: 1169 1169
Braves Offered Teixeira For Youkilis, Hansen?
By Tim Dierkes [July 14 at 10:28pm CST]

10:28pm: Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said there is nothing to this rumor.

3:28pm: Gordon Edes of the Boston Globe expects the Red Sox to engage in further conversations with the Braves about Teixeira leading up to the deadline.

8:29am: Several readers have written in regarding a rumor from ESPN's Peter Gammons during last night's broadcast. Reportedly Gammons said the Braves offered Mark Teixeira to the Red Sox for Kevin Youkilis and Craig Hansen, but the Sox declined.

Given Youk's superior numbers and team control through 2010, hanging on to him makes sense. But it is interesting to see that the Braves might be shopping Teixeira already.
 9 years ago '05        #722
booker20 
space
space
$10,293 | Props total: 0 0
 KeleN_07 said:
Braves Offered Teixeira For Youkilis, Hansen?

I dont kno about that one... we could get atleast 3 young pitchers for Tex
 9 years ago '06        #723
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
$12,536 | Props total: 1036 1036
RIP Skip....You will be missed :(
 9 years ago '05        #724
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$54,086 | Props total: 6985 6985
 titanreese said:
RIP Skip....You will be missed :(
:( that's the worst news i've heard in a long time.
 9 years ago '05        #725
booker20 
space
space
Damn we took a big fu*kin sh*t on this season but Im still here for the f*g**ts that gon say the braves fans disappeared when they were losing.... MLB champs 2009
 9 years ago '05        #726
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
^^ yessir

Kotsay to Boston for some minor leaguer
 9 years ago '06        #727
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
Schuerholz: Furcal's agents' actions 'despicable'

ATLANTA – Braves president John Schuerholz has vowed to never again do business with Rafael Furcal's agents, whom Schuerholz accused in a newspaper interview of conducting "despicable" dealings with the team. Schuerholz and Braves general manager Frank Wren were quoted as saying the Wasserman Media Group negotiated dishonestly by taking the team's signed terms of agreement sheet for Furcal to the Los Angeles Dodgers, who then reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday to re-sign the shortstop.

Wren has said he believed the request by agent Paul Kinzer for a term sheet signed by the Braves meant an agreement had been reached.

Schuerholz said he would never make an offer for any other player represented by the agency, which includes Kinzer and agents Arn Tellem, Adam Katz and Joel Wolfe. Tellem heads the baseball practice.

"Having been in this business for 40-some years, I've never seen anybody treated like that," Schuerholz was quoted as saying in Friday's editions of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"The Atlanta Braves will no longer do business with that company — ever. I told Arn Tellem that we can't trust them to be honest and forthright. I told him that in all my years, I've never seen any (agency) act in such a despicable manner.

"It was disgusting and unprofessional. We're a proud organization, and we won't allow ourselves to be treated that way. I advised Arn Tellem that whatever players he represents, just scratch us off the list. Take the name of the Atlanta Braves off their speed dial. They can deal with the other 29 clubs, and we'll deal with the other hundred agents."

Schuerholz did not respond to a telephone message left Friday by The a.ssociated Press.

Wren wouldn't say if the Braves would stick by their stance of refusing to conduct business with Tellem's clients.

"I'm not going to revisit it," Wren told The a.ssociated Press on Friday. "John and I discussed it. It just doesn't do any good to keep this story alive. We're moving forward. I'm not going to go backward."

The players' a.ssociation is likely to maintain that a team cannot boycott players based on which agent they retain.

"I've been in touch with Arn Tellem," said Michael Weiner, the general counsel for the players' a.ssociation. "I intend to be in touch next week with the commissioner's office to make sure the Braves are made aware of their obligations under the Basic Agreement."

Tellem defended the actions of Kinzer.

"There was never an agreement reached between Rafael Furcal and the Atlanta Braves," Tellem said in a statement Thursday. "In fact, the Braves were fully aware that Furcal was not prepared to make a decision but had requested an opportunity to sleep on it before deciding."

Furcal, who played with the Braves from 2000-05, on Wednesday accepted a three-year contract with the Dodgers worth at least $30 million.

Kinzer was traveling from Atlanta on Friday to join Furcal in Los Angeles and could not be reached.

Schuerholz was quoted by the Journal-Constitution as saying he "expressed my great disappointment" in a telephone conversation with Tellem on Wednesday night.

"I watched as Frank shared with me the circumstances of his negotiations with Furcal negotiations to the point where we increased our offer, and he (Kinzer) then asked for a signed term sheet to be sent over," Schuerholz told the paper. "We never got that signed term sheet faxed back to us, and we later found out why because they took that offer and shopped it."

Tellem said in his statement that he hopes to negotiate for other players with Atlanta in the future.

"We hope that once emotions have subsided, the Braves will act in a manner consistent with not only their obligations under the collective bargaining agreement and the National Labor Relations Act, but also the best interests of the franchise," he said. "In short, we would not want this incident to color their better judgment."

Braves relief pitcher Peter Moylan is a Wasserman client.

9 years ago '06        #728
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
^^ I really hope the Braves stick to this.....I think it was down right dirty what they did...I dont hold any ill will toward Furcal or LA but fu*k that agent for real.
 9 years ago '08        #729
swervinlex 
space
space
space
$69 | Props total: 0 0
I hope that the Braves can turn it around this coming year. It's been too long since we've had a contending team.
 9 years ago '08        #730
space
space

Hot Stove Daily: Atlanta Braves

2008 record: 72-90

Finish: Fourth place in National League East.

2008 opening-day payroll: $102.4 million

2009 estimated opening-day payroll: Between $70 million and $85 million

OFFSEASON ACTION
The Braves are like the guy who tried to land the prettiest girl at school, failed, downscaled to a solid 7 but got stood up on prom night and ended up going stag and spending the evening nursing a drink, in a corner, all alone.

All right. So maybe they did end up with a date. But she’s got braces and bad breath. Such is Javier Vazquez’s metaphorical legacy.

This winter has not been good for the Braves, and with spring training six weeks away, they haven’t got much time to make it better. General manager Frank Wren entered the offseason determined to round out his pitching staff with two starters, and Atlanta seemed the perfect landing spot for Jake Peavy. The Braves had the prospects, Peavy grew up in Alabama and both sides were motivated.

The trade died because … well, that still isn’t evident. Did the Padres want too much? Were the Braves too gun-shy? Whatever the case, it didn’t happen, and so Atlanta traded instead for Vazquez, whose own manager in Chicago, Ozzie Guillen, questioned his manhood in the midst of a pennant race. Ouch.

Were the Peavy incident not enough of a knife twist, the Braves then tried to pursue Rafael Furcal, the shortstop who grew up a Brave. They had him, too, for three years at $30 million – at least they thought so, until Furcal’s agent, Paul Kinzer, took that offer back to the Los Angeles Dodgers and asked if they’d match it. Less than 24 hours later, Furcal re-signed with the Dodgers, and the Braves’ winter of discontent worsened.

The number of hours lost figuring out the market and isolating their targets and working out details and talking on the phone and emailing and texting – that isn’t what pains Wren the most about the final two months of 2008. It’s the knowledge that a Braves team with Peavy and Furcal is one that could have competed in 2009 and certainly 2010, and one without them is likelier to resemble the ugliness of last season than not.

REALITY CHECK
The Braves have all the makings of a great team.

Key positions? Check. Brian McCann is one of the three best catchers in the major leagues. Yunel Escobar is one of the five best young shortstops in baseball (and with Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Troy Tulowitzki and Stephen Drew the other four, that’s strong company). Center field will soon be manned by Gorkys Hernandez or Jason Heyward, who enamors the Braves so much they wouldn’t include him in the Peavy proposal.

Starting pitching? Soon. Vazquez is a fine No. 3 starter, Jair Jurrjens was fantastic as a rookie last year and Jorge Campillo was a nice surprise. Though Tim Hudson is out until 2010 – and with a $12 million option, the Braves may not keep him around then – and John Smoltz and Tom Glavine need to decide whether they want to retire or return. The key to the Braves’ success lies in their young pitching, namely Tommy Hanson, the right-hander who was magnificent in the Arizona Fall League and might be the best pitching prospect in the minor leagues.

Alongside Charlie Morton, Jo-Jo Reyes and Jeff Locke, Hanson is the anchor of another group of young arms to ascend the Braves’ system.

Hope is a move or two away, which is why the potential $30 million-plus cut in payroll shouldn’t alarm anyone. McCann and Escobar are under control through 2013, Kelly Johnson is either a valuable trade chip or a nice second baseman, first baseman Casey Kotchman has plenty to prove after coming in the Mark Teixeira sell and Hanson should be up by June, if not sooner.

Still, that line of thinking mirrors what happened to the Braves this offseason. It’s always what can be or what could’ve been instead of what is.

Last edited by Jeans&Sneakers; 01-03-2009 at 05:46 PM..
 9 years ago '08        #731
space
space
Josh Anderson traded to Tigers
Jordan Schafer will be starting CF:applause:
 9 years ago '05        #732
Majestic_GMMB 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,205 | Props total: 171 171
How good will the Braves be this year...I see they dominating some time 9-3 right now
 9 years ago '06        #733
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
 Majestic_GMMB said:
How good will the Braves be this year...I see they dominating some time 9-3 right now
Well, Ive been a Braves fan all my life and I have to admit, Im really surprised on our start....I knew the Braves were going to be a improved but damn

I hope this s**t keeps up and everyone stays healthy
 9 years ago '05        #734
booker20 
space
space
should won this game the bullpen is still a question mark but we can make the playoffs if everyone stays healthy
 04-25-2009, 11:56 AM         #735
zsisco 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i think this year will be a definate improvement from last year but we just need a bonafide closer and no blown saves
 9 years ago '12        #736
DoMieD 5 heat pts
space
space
$46,988 | Props total: 1259 1259
Hanson Era is here!

[pic - click to view]

8 years ago '05        #737
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
we back....somebody put this in the Team Threads
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
104 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
114 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
187 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
64 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Ultimate mugen build(tell me the characters and Ill build you a custom game)
48 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
148 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy