MMA UFC 206 Holloway vs. Pettis
506 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thickest first lady in US history
108 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Drake Has A “whatthef#ckgotdamn” Reaction After Dapping Up A SKrippa
54 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 1 year ago '04        #11582
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,714 | Props total: 2231 2231
Begley

WEST POINT, N.Y. -- Carmelo Anthony did some scouting prior to the NBA Draft Lottery. He watched highlights of Jahlil Okafor, Karl-Anthony Towns and other college players pegged to go near the top of the first round.

One player he didn’t have an eye on, though, was Kristaps Porzingis.

“I never even saw the guy [play] until they called me right before and said they were picking him and they showed the highlights on the TV,” Anthony recalled Tuesday after the Knicks’ first training camp practice.

Like the rest of those with a rooting interest in the Knicks, Anthony was curious about Porzingis.

He got his first extended look at the rookie during the Las Vegas Summer League and came away impressed.

“Honestly that’s where I wanted to see him compete. It wasn’t about him going out there scoring 15, 20 points. It was more his toughness, his heart, kind of how he’s going to react to the physical play in the NBA,” Anthony said.

Anthony then saw firsthand how Porzingis reacted to physical play during his one-on-one games with the rookie.

Anthony wanted to play Porzingis physically in those contests.

“I tried to. He’s 7-3. I was fouling the s--t out of him a little bit,” Anthony said with a laugh.

The relationship between Anthony and Porzingis is a significant one for the Knicks.

Reports in June stated that Anthony expressed displeasure about the Knicks’ decision to draft the Latvian.

But Anthony has repeatedly denied those reports.

“I’ve showed everybody that I support Porzingis. As long as me and KP know our relationship that’s all that really matters,” Anthony said on Monday.

On Tuesday, Anthony praised Porzingis' demeanor during the Knicks’ opening practice.

“He seemed comfortable. It don’t seem like he’s timid,” Anthony said. “It don’t seem like he’s worried about anything out there.”

The Anthony/Porzingis dynamic could be key to the Knicks’ rebuild.

Assuming Anthony's still around if and when Porzingis reaches his potential, the two could form a formidable front line in the Eastern Conference.

So much, of course, has to fall into place for that to happen.

But, so far, Anthony seems on board with the plan.

No restrictions for Melo: Anthony wasn’t restricted on Tuesday in his first practice following knee surgery. He took part in sprints and contact drills during team’s practice at West Point.

“It felt good,” Anthony said. “It’s been a long time, just sitting back and watching it, putting a lot of work in to my body, [doing] rehab and training and [getting] treatment since February. To be back on the court now, where I can just focus on basketball it’s a pretty good feeling.”

Weight watcher: Porzingis said after his first practice that the weight that he added prior to training camp (11 pounds) has helped him on the court.

“You can feel a difference,” he said. “I was real light during summer league. I can tell that I’m a little heavier. I’m still light for these heavyweights. But I’m getting there, I’m getting stronger, so that’s a positive.”
 1 year ago '04        #11583
space
space
starting 5 for tonight's preseason game against Brazil

PG - Calderon
SG - Sasha
SF - Melo
PF - KP
C - LoLo
 1 year ago '10        #11584
quan3106 67 heat pts67
space
space
$6,864 | Props total: 1894 1894
Team looked like a team...i was impressed with ALL the new pieces
 1 year ago '07        #11585
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,895 | Props total: 184 184
My thoughts too... But who do you think makes the team on that #15 spot? I'm thinking it's coming down to either Greek Freak lite, Atkins, and Saunders... I think Cleanthony will make the team, after how he looked in SL & the first game (rushing back from his wisdom teeth being pulled that morning)

I like Saunders & Atkins from what I saw from them in college, but I think Sasha took a spot away from Saunders (since he's a guard) and I like Greek Freak's potential over Atkins... hopefully we can stash both Atkins & Saunders in Westchester
 1 year ago '07        #11586
space
space
Boys looked good out there tonight... played with continuity and grit. Didn't just stick to the triangle, mixed in a lot of P&R tonight...

-Melo is Melo. And he looks good... If he keeps this up... whoa
-KP can't be gun shy, and damn he got dunked on something vicious... still has a good J, and he needs to use it
-KOQ is a low key steal, as long as he plays to his strengths, which he seems to be getting better at
-DWilliams' consistency is key to our bench play. If he can play how he did tonight, another major plus, like KOQ
-Jerian Grant is a growing young court general. I like him way better than Calderon, and I think/hope the Knicks see that
-Sasha Vujacic has actually been a little surprise. Another interesting piece, especially for our guards off the bench.
 1 year ago '15        #11587
MightyHealthy2 27 heat pts27
space
space
$7,161 | Props total: 12981 12981
 I Am The Truth said:
Boys looked good out there tonight... played with continuity and grit. Didn't just stick to the triangle, mixed in a lot of P&R tonight...

-Melo is Melo. And he looks good... If he keeps this up... whoa
-KP can't be gun shy, and damn he got dunked on something vicious... still has a good J, and he needs to use it
-KOQ is a low key steal, as long as he plays to his strengths, which he seems to be getting better at
-DWilliams' consistency is key to our bench play. If he can play how he did tonight, another major plus, like KOQ
-Jerian Grant is a growing young court general. I like him way better than Calderon, and I think/hope the Knicks see that
-Sasha Vujacic has actually been a little surprise. Another interesting piece, especially for our guards off the bench.
Love hearing this! Been a knicks fan since my youth. Can't see the games, no cable so i come here to get my fix & updates. Hearing alot of rumblings for the preseason. Especially for kp. Good look on the well detailed post my g
 1 year ago '07        #11588
space
space
 MightyHealthy2 said:
Love hearing this! Been a knicks fan since my youth. Can't see the games, no cable so i come here to get my fix & updates. Hearing alot of rumblings for the preseason. Especially for kp. Good look on the well detailed post my g
Happy to keep you updated my dude.

And I stream all the games my dude...
[spoiler - click to view]

... you prob want to use Google Chrome (or something with ad-blocker) as your browser, for the best quality picture

Enjoy the rest of the preseason / regular season games homie
 1 year ago '15        #11589
MightyHealthy2 27 heat pts27
space
space
$7,161 | Props total: 12981 12981
 I Am The Truth said:
Happy to keep you updated my dude.

And I stream all the games my dude...
[spoiler - click to view]

... you prob want to use Google Chrome (or something with ad-blocker) as your browser, for the best quality picture

Enjoy the rest of the preseason / regular season games homie
Good look
 1 year ago '04        #11590
space
space
tonight's starting 5

Calderon, Afflalo, Melo, Lance Thomas & RoLo
 1 year ago '12        #11591
6ixth Disciple 1355 heat pts1355
space
space
$39,913 | Props total: 14491 14491
I think cleanthony is underrated .

67 - 50 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 57% 33 (+2) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 395-308, Rank #44 | Aug 15: 901-538, Rank #23 | Aug 14: 7-3, Rank #244 | Aug 13: 133-80, Rank #40 *
 1 year ago '04        #11592
space
space
KP will return and start tonight

Melo, RoLo, Calderon & O'Quinn won't play tonight, resting.
 1 year ago '04        #11593
space
space
starting 5

Langston, Afflalo, KP, Lance, Seraphin
 1 year ago '04        #11594
space
space
Calderon, Afflalo, Melo, KP & RoLo starting tonight and this should be our official starting 5
 1 year ago '04        #11595
space
space
Knicks finally made the cuts and gone are Greek Freak 2.0, Travis Trice, Darion Atkins, Wesley Saunders, DaJuan Summers

general consensus is that they'll be sign with NY's d-league and bring the main roster down to 14 players
 1 year ago '04        #11596
space
space
Afflalo, Amundson & Seraphin expect to be out for tomorrows opener

and for the Bucks, Orange Juice Mayonnaise and Greek Freak
 1 year ago '07        #11597
space
space
Ugh I would like Afflalo & Amundson out there but this just means more minutes for Early, Gallo, and Grant... I like our chances
 1 year ago '04        #11598
space
space
tonight's starting 5

PG - Calderon
SG - Vujacic
SF - Melo
PF - KP
C - RoLo
 1 year ago '04        #11599
space
space
Ian Begley

The advice comes like a shower raining from every direction. It comes after practice, after shootaround, on the way to the team bus, on the team plane. Anywhere and everywhere.

Sure he's a rookie, and learning is what rooks do. But Knicks point guard Jerian Grant is no stranger to learning. He starred at Notre Dame. His father is former NBA player Harvey Grant. His uncle is former NBA player Horace Grant, who won four world championships between the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers. He's had mentors his entire life.

With that kind of pedigree, Grant knows how to take instruction. With the Knicks, he and teammate Langston Galloway are getting plenty of it, from all corners of the locker room -- from Carmelo Anthony, Arron Afflalo, Derek Fisher, you name it -- someone's had a piece of advice for the two young point guards. And Grant and Galloway seem to be good students.

In stark contrast to the poisonous atmosphere that hovered over the Knicks locker room in 2014-15, the new roster Phil Jackson has brought in -- including fellow rookie Kristaps Porzingis -- has engendered a new, nurturing and mentoring environment.

For Grant, who was acquired by the Knicks from the Hawks in a 2015 draft-night trade, much of that mentoring has come from a curious source -- his chief competition for playing time: veteran point guard Jose Calderon. That's how it has been for this new-look Knicks, and they like it.

"[Calderon]'s so open, anything you want to bring to him, he's going to give you advice on it," Grant says.

Creating a good environment was paramount for Jackson after last season's 17-win campaign. So far, so good.

For Calderon and his young charges, their positions on the depth chart have no bearing on their relationship.

"I'm trying to make [Grant's] jump into the NBA as comfortable as possible," Calderon says. "It doesn't matter who plays at the end of the day. I'm not happier because I'm starting on the Knicks. I could be starting, I could be coming off of the bench, and I'd be the same way. It's important to be in a good environment."

"[Calderon's] been in the league for 10 years, so if I can learn anything from him then I want to learn. At the same time, when we step out on the court, we compete against each other in practice, we're going to compete as hard as we can. But when we have time to help each other out, that's what we do."

It's only three days into the season, but the 2015-16 Knicks appear to like one another. More important, they appear to want to play for one another. Wednesday's 122-97 win over the Milwaukee Bucks seems indicative of that.

However, if New York falls 15 games under .500, let's see if it's still all Kumbaya.

For now, however, it's working and the Grant-Calderon relationship typifies that.

"[The young guys] ask a lot and they listen, that's all you can ask for," Calderon says. "There are some guys in the league who, you try to say something, they don't accept it and you have to walk away. But I think these guys are great."
David Dow/NBAE/Getty Images
So, who should start?

Knicks fans are already debating who should be the starting point guard. Calderon started the season opener for New York, but there is a loud and growing contingent who want to see Grant with the first unit.

They might get their wish sooner than they expect.

In Wednesday night's opener, Grant logged 24 minutes, going 4-for-7 from the field for 10 points. Galloway, however, scored 16 points on 5-of-10 shooting, including 4-for-5 from 3 in 25 minutes. Calderon started, though, playing 18 points and scoring only three points.

Consider ESPN Insider Bradford Doolittle's scouting report on the 34-year-old Calderon: "a formerly efficient scorer who increasingly struggles to finish inside the arc." Ouch.

On the other hand, Doolittle says the 23-year-old Grant, is a "dogged competitor who brings a mix of tangible and intangible qualities" to the Knicks.

Still, Fisher seems committed to starting Calderon early in the season. But he hasn't closed the door on the possibility of inserting Grant.

"Whatever is the best for the team, that's ultimately what I'll do," he says. "But at the moment, I'll start Jose."
Fisher remembers as a young Lakers player and Byron Scott showed him the NBA ropes. Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
A valuable relationship

When and if that changes is an open question at this point. But there's no doubt Fisher has been pleased by the dynamic he sees between Calderon and Grant.

Fisher, a point guard himself for 18 seasons, has been on both ends of that veteran-rookie mentor relationship. He remembers being tutored by Byron Scott and Ron Harper, among others, while with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"Obviously as my career went on, I became that guy who was building relationships with younger players," Fisher says. "So that's the benefit of having returning players. ... I think in our game, when you can have a returning player who understands what you're trying to do, that speeds up the learning curve for the rest of the guys, especially if they play the same position. So we think Jose can play a really valuable role for Jerian, for Langston, for many of our guys."

It helps that Grant has been extremely coachable. The Knicks' staff has been impressed by the rookie's acumen and ability to learn the triangle offense.

But ultimately, Grant wants to play.

He is fully aware he is competing for his job each and every time he steps on the court, whether it's against an opposing guard or against Calderon in practice.

"[Calderon's] been in the league for 10 years, so if I can learn anything from him, then I want to learn," Grant says. "At the same time, when we step out on the court, we compete against each other in practice, we're going to compete as hard as we can. But when we have time to help each other out, that's what we do.

"We're a team at the end of the day, even though we're competing at the same spot."

Kumbaya, indeed.
 1 year ago '04        #11600
Jae_Hood_354 92 heat pts92
space
space
$7,471 | Props total: 1207 1207
2-0 after tonight?
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
225 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside just came across this gorgeous young lady from london
51 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
199 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
110 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 28 Game Systems, One Console
32 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ronnie from Jersey Shore is dating someone from the Kardashians
46 comments
1 day ago