Video inside The right way to heat up PIZZA!! Changed my life
78 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Kim Kardashian Allegedly Wants A Divorce From Kanye West
83 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
31 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Christina Milian Shows Damn Near EVERYTHING in a see through fit!!"
101 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 2 years ago '06        #11301
lmnop 122 heat pts122
space
space
space
$20,874 | Props total: 931 931

New York Knicks

Projected Roster
--------------------

PG - Jose Calderon, Pablo Prigioni, Shane Larkin
SG - Iman Shumpert, JR Smith, Tim Hardaway Jr
SF - Carmelo Anthony, Travis Outlaw, Cleanthony Early, Quincy Acy
PF - Andrea Bargnani, Amare Stoudemire
C - Samuel Dalembert, Jason Smith, Cole Aldridge

Trading Block: I'm sure that the Knicks are looking to move JR Smith before he exercises his player option and screws with their cap room next offseason. For as far as that goes Calderon might be pretty easy to move as well. Not sure there are going to be a lot of takers though. Especially when the Knicks will be demanding expirings back.

Position battle: SG. Nobody knows or can tell me who will be starting at sG for the Knicks. I've got Shumpert here, but, it could just as easily be Smith or Hardaway.

Mystery Man: I'm gonna go with Phil Jackson. It's a mystery to me how he's going to get the group to run the triangle. It might be a thing of beauty. But, it could also resemble a Benny Hill sketch. I'll be very interested to see how JR Smith reacts in that offense.

Floppymusings:
Perhaps the worst rotation of bigs in the nba. Bringing in Calderon was wise. It will be another long year for Knicks fans. When Bargs and Amare are gone and you have another couple of good draft picks, that's when things could start to get interesting. What will Jackson be like as a GM? What will Fisher be like as a coach. Regardless, this is probably not the year you want to judge them by.

Jazzfanramblings:
My beloved Jazz are in the middle of a painful rebuild. After John and Karl retired the Jazz reloaded pretty fast with Boozer and Deron and kept on chugging. But, eventually the wheels fell off that and a complete rebuild was called for. So, they brought in Denis Lindsey to manage the rebuild. And one thing we hear in the media from Lindsey on a regular basis is that the Jazz are not going to be 'skipping any steps.'

It seems to me that the Knicks have been skipping steps for a dozen years or more now. Chasing every player that comes along with little thought given to salary structure, draft picks, or chemistry. Almost like a kid in a candy store with 2 bucks in his pocket, you are sure that kid is going to not set foot out of that store until he's spent every last penny. That's the Knicks of late to me.

In 2014 ESPN ranked all 30 NBA front offices. And the New York Knicks came in dead last. I honestly can't argue with that a.ssessment. Since the turn of the century, 14 years now, the Knicks have averaged a meager 33.9 wins a season. This wouldn't be so damning except that the Knicks are located in a top 2 free agent destination and have some of the deepest pockets to spend on players (2nd in the league last year). They've got every advantage, yet they can't break free of mediocrity or worse.

To be fair, the Knicks may have turned a corner. They've brought in Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher. And they are clearing off a boatload of salary next season. But even then it's not like they will be flush with cap room. Just 3 players: Melo, Calderon, and Smith, could combine to eat up about 35 million in cap space next year. Even if they cut everyone else that's still 8 more cap holds that will push them up in the direction of 40 million. It's not pretty and given the Knicks history of free agent signings it could be worse than it seems.

Outside of Melo that roster looks like a collection of the dregs of the NBA. Guys who don't defend, are one dimensional, don't have their head screwed on straight, or are just too banged up to play. I think it's time for New York to take a step back and rebuild the right way, without skipping steps this time around. Hopefully Phil Jackson is up to the task and can face down Dolan when he decides he wants to spend his last 2 dollars on the next shiny piece of candy he sees.

Projected Record - 32/50

[pic - click to view]

2 years ago '04        #11302
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,710 | Props total: 2231 2231
That's exactly how I want this team to be projected from "experts"
 2 years ago '04        #11303
space
space
NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Knicks signed former St. John's forward Orlando Sanchez on Wednesday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 6-foot-9 Dominican national team player averaged 7.4 points, 5.6 rebounds and 22.3 minutes in 32 games last season for St. John's. He also played two seasons at Monroe College.
 2 years ago '04        #11304
space
space
Tim MacMahon

DALLAS -- Months later, Dallas Mavericks center Tyson Chandler is still mad about insinuations that he caused chemistry issues for the New York Knicks last season.

Knicks president Phil Jackson cited the desire to "change some of the chemistry" of the team as one of the reasons he sent Chandler and point guard Raymond Felton to Dallas in the late-June deal.

Chandler has been portrayed in several media reports since then as a player who caused internal problems for the Knicks last season, much to his chagrin.

"I did nothing but try to help the culture there the three years I was there," Chandler said Friday. "You can say I didn't live up to whatever or you didn't like the way I played or anything. But to ever question who I am and the type of leader I am in the locker room, I don't even know where that came from.

"I honestly don't know where that came from. I don't know if Phil put that out there or who put that out there, but to me, that was the ultimate shock. And you don't have to say that to get rid of me or to trade me. The trade is over.

"So to judge my character and what I've done, you can go look at all my teammates and ask all of my teammates in the past, and the coaches I've played for, and I've never been a problem and never had a problem. So that was a shock to me that I didn't appreciate."

Mavs owner Mark Cuban, president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and coach Rick Carlisle all cited Chandler's outstanding leadership ability as one of the motivating factors in bringing him back to Dallas. Chandler was widely recognized as the spiritual leader during Dallas' 2010-11 championship season. He has always prided himself in being an unselfish player who demands the best of his teammates.

"It makes no sense," Chandler said. "If you call holding people accountable daily being a bad influence, then hey, I'm a bad influence. But I'm going to be that as long as I'm going to strap up my shoes and step on the basketball court. And that was the big problem there.

"That's the biggest thing. I guess if that's why I was a bad influence, because I wanted to do things the right way, then I guess I'm a bad influence. But I've never heard of that. I thought that was being a professional."

Chandler, the Defensive Player of the Year in 2011-12 and an All-Star in 2012-13, readily admits that he was disappointed in his performance last season. He averaged 8.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in 55 games for a Knicks team that went 37-45 after winning a playoff series the previous season. He also acknowledges that he'd speak his mind when he felt it was merited.

However, Chandler adamantly insists he never had any problems with teammates or coaches in New York. He finds suggestions otherwise to be offensive.

"You can go to any of the staff members or anybody and ask them what kind of guy I was when I was there, and if I was the guy who was pushing for what is right all the time and they would tell you so," Chandler said. "That more than anything in my career caught me off guard. I can stomach somebody saying he didn't produce or whatever, and that's just motivation. But a shot at someone's character or professionalism, that's a little far-fetched."
 2 years ago '04        #11305
space
space
Begley

ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy thinks Iman Shumpert can carve out a successful NBA career.

But Van Gundy thinks Shumpert needs to tweak his approach to do so.

“I thought he was on a good track. I thought he had a great rookie year. I think the injury set him back significantly. I think either role confusion or the lack of role acceptance has had him focusing too much on what he doesn’t do well versus maximizing what he does do well,” Van Gundy said in an interview on Anthony Donahue’s Internet radio show on The Knicks Blog.

Many thought Shumpert was primed for a breakout season last season. But he struggled to produce consistently on the offensive end.

Shumpert scored fewer than six points while playing at least 25 minutes in 19 games last season.

He continued to make strides on the defensive end, finishing first in defensive real plus-minus among shooting guards who averaged 25 minutes per game.

When asked about Shumpert in the interview with Donahue, Van Gundy offered a few suggestions for the fourth-year guard.

“He should be an every-night wing defender. He should be a high-energy offensive player who moves the ball selflessly, who when he gets his opportunities to attack long closeouts he attacks and creates plays at the rim for himself and his teammates,” Van Gundy told Donahue. “If he focuses on doing what he does best, he’ll have a nice career, but oftentimes that’s what derails younger players. Instead of narrowing what they do they’re always trying to expand what they do so they end up playing to their nonstrengths instead of playing to their strengths.”

JVG thinks Knicks will make playoffs: Van Gundy thinks the Knicks will be a playoff team this season in the competitive East.

“I thought Mike Woodson did a great job under trying circumstances,” the ESPN analyst said. “I think they’ll be a playoff team this year. I think they’ll have a good year. How far they go -- a lot is going to depend on matchups. Obviously the Eastern Conference has gone under some major changes.”

Van Gundy also thinks Carmelo Anthony should continue to play power forward.

“I think in today’s game he’s a 4 man. I think he’ll continue to be a 4 man as he gets older in his career too,” the former coach told Donahue. “I think he defends 4s better. I think he has advantages over 4s. You’ve got to pair him with the right defensive center because obviously you need basket protection.”

Van can’t wait for Knicks to bring back Ewing: Van Gundy coached Patrick Ewing so it makes sense that he’d be fiercely loyal to him.

“I just can’t wait for the Knicks to bring him home someday in some capacity ... he’s the best Knick ever. There’s a lot of great Knicks but as far as the best Knick of all time it’s Patrick Ewing," he told Donahue.

On the Knicks’ decision to trade Ewing toward the end of his career, Van Gundy said: “That was a horrible trade. If Patrick would have stayed the evolution to a more guard-oriented offense would have been inevitable ... it would have been fine.”
 2 years ago '04        #11306
space
space
Begley

Kurt Thomas believes the J.R. Smith shoelace saga never would have happened last season if he and other veterans were on the roster.

“I don’t think so, I don’t think that’s something that would happen,” Thomas said Monday night on Anthony Donahue’s Internet radio show on The Knicks Blog. “Especially if you have a veteran guy to pull him to the side, to get in his ear, to let him know the importance of him staying focused on the task at hand and that’s his job to go out there and to perform on the highest level.”

The Knicks’ lack of leadership was often discussed as a driving force behind their disastrous 37-win season.

The year before, New York won 54 games and a division title with Thomas, Marcus Camby, Rasheed Wallace and Jason Kidd on the roster.

But owner James Dolan wanted younger players on the roster last season. So Camby, Wallace and Thomas were not brought back. Kidd retired to coach the Nets. None of last season's Knicks seemed prepared to take on a strong leadership role, and the team sputtered through a forgettable season.

“When you have a bunch of young guys you don’t really see that much looking out for one another so it’s important to have veteran guys,” Thomas told Donahue. “... When you have someone like Jason, Rasheed, Marcus -- these are great guys that have a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge of the game and are willing to share it.”

It will be interesting to see who fills the Knicks’ leadership roles this season. Admittedly, this is something the media likes to write and speculate about. But only those in the locker room at all times know the true leaders. Players will sometimes talk about great leaders on a particular team, but they will rarely say that a team lacks veteran leadership.

Thomas strongly believes that successful teams have a strong leadership quotient.

“That’s the thing a lot of people don’t understand, especially when you’re playing professional sports: how important it is to have veteran players on your team,” Thomas told Donahue. “How they’re able to get you through those moments or through that stretch of the season when you’re in a funk and it’s just about guys staying together, being able to lift each other up, staying together collectively as a team, and going out there night in and night out and trying to achieve that common goal.”

Click here to listen to Thomas' full interview with Donahue.

Metta's new shoe: Ex-Knick Metta World Peace reportedly will be wearing an interesting shoe this season in China.... Another ex-Knick, Darko Milicic, reportedly has decided to pursue a career in kickboxing. Milicic is most famously known for being drafted ahead of Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in the 2003 NBA Draft.
 09-26-2014, 10:28 AM         #11307
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[tweet - click to view]

2 years ago '04        #11308
space
space
Begley

The start of the regular season is still four weeks away. So it makes sense that Derek Fisher wasn’t ready to announce his starting lineup on Friday.

“The only person that I know for sure is going to probably start is No. 7 [Carmelo Anthony],” Fisher said. “Everything else ... we haven't practiced yet and so part of going to practice and starting training camp is learning who your team is and how different players work together. Putting the starting lineup together is not just about individual guys; it's about five guys that that work well together as a unit.

“Not only those five guys, but the guys who come off the bench and complement [the first unit]. So those decisions in my opinion can't be made before we've had a chance to observe as a coaching staff how that's going and which guys are playing well together. ... As we move into the preseason, I'm sure it's going to crystallize and we'll have a starting lineup by the 28th [of October].”

It seems as if Jose Calderon is a lock to start at point guard. Beyond Calderon and Anthony, Fisher will have options. He can choose among J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert and Tim Hardaway Jr. at shooting guard. He has several candidates -- including Anthony -- who can start at power forward. And he can start Samuel Dalembert or Jason Smith at center.

Phil Jackson said on Friday that there will be enough minutes to share among the shooting guards and power forwards.

“The wonderful thing about having a system of offense is the interchangeable parts, as opposed to having a point guard oriented offense where you depend upon one person to organize the offense,” Jackson said. “So we can do a number of things that can create playing time for players, change lineups.

“Hopefully the players learn how to organize themselves out there. We think that we have a number of power forwards too in that situation. Andrea [Bargnani], Amar'e [Stoudemire], Carmelo moving to power forward. So we have, as I mentioned before, quite a bit of depth on this team in multiple spots.”

Brass supports Melo’s weight loss: Jackson, GM Steve Mills and Fisher all agreed that Anthony’s offseason weight loss was a positive for both Anthony and the Knicks.

Said Jackson: “In our exit meetings last April, we really emphasized about conditioning and being prepared to play. ... We think July 1 is the beginning of the next season. People have to appropriately use their time for rest and recuperation, for weight training and then for conditioning. Carmelo took that very seriously.”

Fisher talked about the medical and coaching staff trying to use Anthony more economically this season. Anthony played a career-high 38.7 minutes per game last year.

“We’re hoping [to adjust] not [only] minutes played, but how those minutes are played, how he’s utilized within the framework of what we’d like to do as a team,” Fisher said.

On Carmelo’s weight loss, Fisher added: “I think it’s more consistent with as guys age and they’re trying to find ways to maximize a great opportunity to play in the NBA for as long as they can. How it impacts him on the court, we’ll see. Whenever you’re healthy and you lighten the load on your body it can help you.”

Fish says D is a priority: There will be plenty said about how Anthony and others fit into the Knicks new triangle offense.

But Fisher made it clear on Friday that his top priority in training camp is improving the Knicks’ defense. New York last season ranked a paltry 24th in defensive efficiency, a measure of points allowed per 100 possessions. The club ranked 28th in points allowed per shot.

“For our team from a basketball perspective, I think defense is what we have to focus on from day one,” he said. “Success will be [determined by] defense ... we’ve got to figure out a way to break into that [group of] elite defensive teams.”

The Knicks’ best defender is Shumpert, who is widely considered one of the top young perimeter defenders in the NBA. New York traded its best interior defender -- Tyson Chandler -- to Dallas and received Dalembert, a veteran center, in return. Based solely on personnel and recent history, it doesn’t seem as if the Knicks have the individual defensive talent to be elite. Whether Fisher can coach them into a solid defensive unit remains to be seen.
 2 years ago '04        #11309
space
space
Begley

GM Steve Mills says owner James Dolan has been mostly hands off when it comes to the Knicks of late.

“I think [he] has been true to his word when we had conversations about Phil joining earlier. He was going to remove himself from the [day to day basketball operations] of the Knicks and be there if he needed him. But only get involved if we asked him to be involved,” Mills said on Friday.

“I can honestly say that I have had one conversation with [Dolan] this summer since the end of the season. We’ve had more conversations about the D League and the investment that he’s making for us in terms of developing players and that process. But he’s been true to his word in allowing Phil and I to work together and develop a good rapport and [to] allow Phil to set the culture and the tone for this organization.”

Dolan himself said earlier this month that he’d been more hands off with the Knicks this summer.

Dolan has a history of getting involved in basketball decisions. One example? He orchestrated a trade to acquire Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets in 2011 against the wishes of then GM Donnie Walsh.

There reportedly was an issue between Jackson and Dolan in April over a personnel matter.

According to the New York Daily News, Jackson wanted to make changes to the team personnel but was overruled by Dolan. ESPN's Stephen A. Smith later reported that Jackson wanted to make changes to the medical staff but was again rebuffed by Dolan.

Since then, it appears as if the two men haven’t butted heads. As we’ve said before, this relationship is worth monitoring given Dolan’s history. But so far it seems as if the owner has truly taken a “hands off” approach.

Clearing the air with Tyson: Over the summer, Jackson said that he wanted to change the culture of the Knicks when he dealt away Raymond Felton and Tyson Chandler. Chandler took that as a perceived slight and fired back last week, saying he did nothing to hurt the Knicks’ chemistry last season.

On Friday, Jackson was asked if his comments were intended as a shot at Chandler.

“No, we like Tyson. He played well for the Knicks over the years,” Jackson said. “I unfortunately wasn’t here [for most of his tenure]. But he had a real tough year last year there’s no doubt about it, by his own admission. And the opportunity came where I thought we could improve our basketball club by doing some things a little bit different.

“And in the process I thought about Tyson going back to Dallas, the opportunity is good for him. A place where he played really well and won a championship and I know they’ll welcome him back there and I hope him all the success. Not too much against us. But I hope him all the success in the NBA in the world. And we appreciate what he did here.”
 2 years ago '04        #11310
space
space
Begley

Amar'e Stoudemire didn’t need to rehab any injuries over the summer. But the Knicks are still proceeding with caution when it comes to the $100 million forward.

“Amar'e physically looks great. Looks like he’s in fantastic shape,” Derek Fisher said on Friday. “He’s very focused on coming into this season healthy and I think he’s accomplished that goal. ... His knees will be an issue at some point, just manage his minutes in some respects, how we’ll limit him in practice, give him some days to get back up to speed and get some rest. But I think he’s willing to come in and buy in to what we want to teach and he’s ready to go and he’s excited.”

Stoudemire has suffered through several knee ailments over the last two seasons and had microfracture surgery when he was with the Phoenix Suns.

The 31-year-old underwent three separate operations over a ten-month span ending last summer and played on a minutes restriction for portions of 2012-13 and 2013-14.

So it makes sense that the Knicks would want to monitor his minutes this season. Stoudemire is in the final season of a five-year, $100 million contract and the Knicks explored the possibility of trading him in the offseason.

Assuming Stoudemire remains on the roster for the entire season, it will be interesting to see how Fisher uses him. Stoudemire is one of several power forwards on the roster, including Andrea Bargnani, Jason Smith and (at times) Carmelo Anthony.
Stoudemire played extremely well late last season, averaging 16 points on better than 50 percent shooting over the final 20 games.

Fisher says Bargs will be “great”: Speaking of players the Knicks looked into trade over the summer, Fisher believes Andrea Bargnani will be a strong contributor in 2014-15.

“I think Andrea will be great. I think Andrea is a great basketball player,” Fisher said. “The system won’t necessarily make him better. He’s had some unfortunate situations with some injuries. He’s obviously been traded, getting used to a new environment and a new team, but also getting traded to a team that was disjointed and a lot of question marks surrounding the team and inconsistencies.

“So in my conversations with Andrea he’s excited and he’s determined to have a really good season. He’s looking forward to what it is we’re trying to do offensively. A lot of times we’ve spoken it’s been about what we’re going to do on the defensive end. He feels good about understanding where we’re going defensively. He’s looking forward to having a great year.”

Bargnani never developed into the secondary scoring option that the Knicks had been hoping for when they traded for him last summer.

He struggled defensively and was limited to 39 games due to a torn ligament in his injury.

General manager Steve Mills said Bargnani has been one of "13-14" Knicks working out together at the team's training facility in recent days.

Phil hopes Knicks will play “quicker” this season: The Knicks under Mike Woodson played at a plodding pace on offense.

Last season, they ranked 29th in the NBA in pace, due in part to their reliance on isolation sets.

Phil Jackson said on Friday that he hopes the Knicks can play faster this season.

“We have some youth and we have some veteran players that have come in to join us. We’ve got some size. We’ve also got some young guards and hopefully a little bit of a quicker team in the process,” he said.

Phil on West Point: The Knicks will spend five days practicing at the military academy at West Point next week. The idea to practice at West Point was Jackson’s.

“We’re going there with the hopes that we’ll give the players an idea of the discipline and the character that makes up some of the best of our country that come to this academy to get educated,” Jackson said.
 2 years ago '04        #11311
space
space
Begley

Initially, you can expect Carmelo Anthony to play on the wing and in the post in the Knicks’ new triangle offense.

But eventually, Phil Jackson says Carmelo should be able to play all positions on the floor -- including in the backcourt.

“He will be, I think, quite comfortable in the position he is at on the floor,” Jackson said on Friday.

One of the biggest storylines this season will be Anthony’s performance in the triangle.

Derek Fisher, who knows a thing or two about the offense, believes Anthony should look to examples set by Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant -- both of whom won multiple titles playing in the triangle.

“I think that Kobe had Michael as an example of how he played in [the triangle] and how he worked in it. That helped him I think to be a natural when he got to it. Carmelo now has multiple examples of how guys have been successful inside of the system,” Fisher said. “Michael broke the mold in the sense of how to be that great within the system. I think Carmelo will have an advantage so to speak of having these examples of some of the greatest players to ever play, still have these hall of fame careers within the system and playing with their teammates.”

Jackson on Friday acknowledged that there may be a period of adjustment for Anthony, who is accustomed to operating in isolation.

“There’s a period of time in which it takes a scorer with mainly a scoring mentality to play with the idea that you can’t score every time you touch the ball,” Jackson said. “A lot of the scorers, it’s a natural instinct, ‘I get the ball, I look to score.’ Looking to score is one thing, holding the ball is another. That is one of the things that players learn -- that tempo and rhythm -- and I don’t think it is going to be that difficult of a situation.”

It will be interesting to see how quickly Anthony and the rest of the Knicks learn to operate in Jackson’s offense.

The triangle is predicated on constant ball and player movement. It will be a stark contrast for those Knicks who played under Mike Woodson. His offense was often dependent on isolation sets. There is room for isolation in the triangle, but over dribbling and holding the ball are frowned upon.

Earlier this summer, we took a look at how Anthony may fit in the triangle. We also looked at how the triangle impacted Jordan and Kobe in their first seasons in the offense.

For what it’s worth, Anthony said earlier this month that he is excited about playing in the offense.

"Without a doubt, without a doubt. When people say spots, I'm going to be all over the floor in the triangle," Anthony said. "It makes it hard to guard, it keeps all eyes off of you. I'm looking forward to it, I've been saying it all summer. I can't wait."

Fisher says it wasn't only about the money for Melo: Many look at Carmelo Anthony's re-signing with the Knicks as Anthony going for the money. After all, he signed a five-year, $124 million contract to return to New York. But Fisher believes it was about more than money for Melo.

"I think there’s no question [Anthony] wants to win,” Fisher said. “At the same time, that’s why he came back, because he believes that’s possible. I don’t believe it was just for the money. He could have gotten the money to go anywhere, but I do believe he’s confident in not just where we are, but where we can go, and he wants to participate in that in a very detailed way. So I’m hopeful that we can all come in collectively, put our talents together to achieve some special things.”

Fisher quizzes Kidd: Fisher talked to ex-Nets coach Jason Kidd about transitioning from player to coach.

Kidd led the Nets to the playoffs last year before leaving the organization for Milwaukee.

"I've spoken with Jason a couple times. But I didn’t have a lot of questions about what happened and why; just moreso a conversation about becoming a coach and working with players and how to improve the situation as best you can," Fisher said. "I thought Jason did a phenomenal job considering that he came in with no experience. So everybody that I've spoken to, Jason included, the advice is to be yourself, be consistent in who you are, believe in that, trust it and focus on doing your job. That’s what I'm going to try and do."
 2 years ago '04        #11312
space
space
Berman

Former St. John’s standout Orlando Sanchez lived dirt-poor in the Dominican Republic until he was 20. He landed in Westchester to attend Monroe College in New Rochelle for two years, then got his big shot in Queens.

Sanchez is now back in Westchester, and the athletic 6-foot-9 power forward may just stay in Westchester.

As his wild ride that featured a battle with the NCAA over eligibility and a stint on the Dominican Republic’s national team continues, the 26-year-old Sanchez, improbably, will be part of Knicks training camp starting with media day Monday in Tarrytown.

That Sanchez was signed by the Knicks is nothing short of shocking. After a slightly disappointing one-year stint at St. John’s, he wasn’t drafted after a series of pre-draft workouts with NBA teams because of his age, then wasn’t signed to anyone’s summer-league team.

According to a source, Knicks brass considered bringing Sanchez to Las Vegas but didn’t. President Phil Jackson hadn’t seen enough of him. Sanchez, who has a high skill level for a big man, averaged 7.4 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Red Storm last season. The Clippers showed interest but never made a summer-league offer.

“Tells you a little something — not that he didn’t get drafted, but wasn’t playing on a summer-league team,’’ one NBA scout said.

After summer league, Allan Houston, general manager of the Knicks’ new D-League affiliate in Westchester, fell in love with Sanchez after watching more tape. He envisioned Sanchez as a skilled big man, perfect for the triangle offense, to develop in Westchester — a player who just needed more coaching. The Knicks will need to fill the 2015-16 roster with a group of minimum-wage players to afford to fit a second superstar.

“He’s been on the Knicks radar for a while because he was at St. John’s,’’ his agent BJ Bass said.

There’s enough highlight plays of Sanchez using quickness and shot fakes to drive to the basket and finish. He also can run the break and hit the mid-range jumper to potentially be a force in Jackson’s and coach Derek Fisher’s triangle. Too often at St. John’s, playing guard, stayed on the periphery and didn’t always show a high motor.

Sanchez, who speaks limited English, has gotten a triangle lesson in the last week since most of the Knicks already are in Tarrytown for voluntary scrimmages.

“I think my game fits the triangle very well,’’ Sanchez told The Post. “I’ve picked it up quickly so far. My ability to shoot, handle and pass shows in this offense. I would like to make the Knicks roster out of camp, but I also understand going to Westchester is a possibility. I think it would be a positive situation, because the team will practice at the Knicks facility and I can develop with the coaching staff.’’

That the Knicks now have their D-League affiliate next door as opposed to in Ohio is a bonus to developing players such as Sanchez. That is why second-round pick Thanasis Antetokounmpo chose to sign with Westchester rather than play for a lot more money in Europe. Nevertheless, Antekumpo can’t attend training camp because if he fails to make the 15-man NBA roster, the Knicks will lose his rights.)

“I wasn’t too worried about not attending summer league,’’ Sanchez said. “Veterans’ camp is the real opportunity to earn a roster spot.’’

Sanchez’s eligibility issues swayed John Calipari, who coached him on the Dominican team, from giving him a scholarship at Kentucky. The NCAA ruled he had no eligibility left.

He played seven games for a club team in Spain, from where he was called home by his financially strapped family to work as a carpenter. He had a brief stint with the DR national team. Add in the two years at Monroe College and Sanchez was out of luck and eligibility. After four months of lawyering and petitions, the NCAA granted him a senior year. His junior year at St. John’s was lost.

“Not playing junior year at St. John’s was very difficult,’’ Sanchez said. “The hardest part was not being able to help my teammates. They were like family.’’

He’s got a new family now — in Westchester.
 2 years ago '04        #11313
space
space
Begley

Iman Shumpert is entering the fourth and final year of his rookie contract. He is eligible to sign a rookie scale extension between now and Oct. 31.

According to league sources, the Knicks haven't had any contact with Shumpert or his representatives about a possible extension.

New York still has about four weeks to start talks with Shumpert, but the feeling here is that it will be content to let him enter next summer as a restricted free agent.

The Knicks are trying to keep their salary commitments at a minimum for the summer of 2015 and 2016, when they hope to be active in free agency.

Inking Shumpert to an extension -- which can be as long as four years -- would eat up cap space for the 2015 and 2016 offseason.

So we a.ssume that the Knicks are willing to forgo the opportunity to extend Shumpert and see what his value will be as a restricted free agent this summer.

To make Shumpert a restricted free agent, the Knicks will have to submit a one-year, $3.7 million qualifying offer to him by June 30. They will then have the opportunity to match any offers Shumpert garners on the open market.

That's all a.ssuming, of course, that the Knicks don't trade Shumpert during the season.

Shumpert was involved in constant trade rumors last year.

The Knicks, according to sources, continued to explore trade possibilities for Shumpert in the offseason but could not find an offer of equal value for their 2011 first-round pick.

The best-case scenario this season -- for both the Knicks and Shumpert -- is that Shumpert thrives in the triangle offense and continues to excel on defense.

If that happens, it will be interesting to see his value as a restricted free agent next summer.

Question: Do you think the Knicks should sign Shumpert to a rookie-scale extension? Or should they let him test free agency next summer?
 2 years ago '08        #11314
AC_89 147 heat pts147
space
space
$33,891 | Props total: 5638 5638
That went by so quick damn goodbye shump
 09-29-2014, 05:33 AM         #11315
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think we should re-sign him but for no more than $7M.

Edit: Boston gave Bradley, $8M a year.

Last edited by Kitsch; 09-29-2014 at 05:38 AM..
 2 years ago '07        #11316
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,892 | Props total: 181 181
 Kitsch said:
I think we should re-sign him but for no more than $7M.

Edit: Boston gave Bradley, $8M a year.
I'm with it... $5-7 mil is a fair deal, as long as he does well this year
 2 years ago '07        #11317
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,383 | Props total: 277 277
I like Shump when he's confident but it might be time to move in a different direction to get where we want to be

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 217 (-134) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 09-29-2014, 08:29 AM         #11318
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 I Am The Truth said:
I'm with it... $5-7 mil is a fair deal, as long as he does well this year
I have a feeling that if we let him go, we will regret it.
 2 years ago '04        #11319
space
space
my dude *freeway voice* EARLY! rocking # 17
 2 years ago '04        #11320
space
space
hopefully the trio at the 2nd unit will use that YOUNG GUNZ moniker (Early, Larkin & TIMMY Jr)
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX who the fu-k is this!!!!?
58 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
64 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
187 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Busted On Social Media
86 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Couple Arguing Married 52 Years Lol
73 comments
21 hours ago