New York Knicks

most viewed right now
NBA Durant on parity: "Am I the reason Brooklyn gave all their picks to Boston?"
106 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Papoose signs to MMG Records
103 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BREAKING: Young Buck gives update on G Unit affiliation
33 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
DJ WhooKid Reveals Why Donald Trump Was At G-Unit Radio Hangin w/ Tony Yayo & ..
21 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 years ago '04        #11261
Born_Loser|M 98 heat pts98
space
space
$42,056 | Props total: 3437 3437
Okafor unlikely to choose a team till like mid-season, question to my fellow Knickstape n*ggas, would ya consider giving him a spot?
 3 years ago '07        #11262
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,137 | Props total: 711 711
for the Vet Min, I guess he's ok
 3 years ago '04        #11263
space
space
Begley

With training camp less than two months away, we’re examining the burning questions facing the New York Knicks.

Today’s question: How will Carmelo Anthony fit into the triangle offense?

Last week, we posed the question above to a longtime scout for an Atlantic Division team.

His first impression was a positive one.

"I think he's skilled enough and I think he's smart enough. I think he'll fit very well."

But the same scout, who has been watching Anthony since his rookie year (2003-04), also has some reservations.

"He’s got to bring the whole package [to make the triangle work]. He’s gotta be a team player, he's got to cut harder and he's got to move the ball. He's going to have to do a lot of things that he isn’t known for doing."

This will be one of the more interesting subplots to the Knicks' 2014-15 season. How will Anthony fit into an offense predicated on ball and player movement?

Below, we'll take a look out how this scout views Carmelo and the triangle:

1. Post play: Anthony was the No. 2 scorer in the NBA last season. In 2012-13, he led the league in scoring. That's a lot of points. A significant portion of those points were scored with Anthony operating in the post. So it's worth wondering if Anthony will continue to get post touches in the triangle this season.

"There’s opportunities for him to get the ball in the post," the scout said. "There's opportunities for him to be in the pinch post and isolate. Or he can catch the ball high and play a two-man game."

Based on recent history, it would seem to be in the best interest of both the Knicks and Anthony to get him the ball in the post.

According to Synergy Sports Technology, Anthony shot 49 percent in the post last season. He averaged 1.017 points per play while operating in the post, which put him in the 89th percentile when compared to the rest of the league. He also scored at least one point (including free throws) on 51 percent of his post possessions. Not bad.

2. He's gotta run: When talking about Carmelo and the triangle, the scout we spoke with used Kobe Bryant's success in the offense as a reference point. The scout said Kobe's ability to excel in the triangle stemmed, in part, from a willingness to run hard enough to beat defenders to certain spots on the court.

"Kobe would just sometimes outrun the bigs so he would run right into the post and then the other players just had to follow suit and just get into other spots. Is Carmelo going to run and hustle and get into the post and make an effort to get in there first? That’s up to him," the scout said. "If he makes the effort, I think he’ll get those opportunities and he’ll just go to work."

It's hard to quantify just how hard Carmelo runs on the floor. Some scouts and observers believe that he doesn't run with maximum effort all of the time on the offensive end. Again, this is tough to quantify.

One player tracking metric measures the distance a player travels on the court and the speed at which he does it.

For what it's worth, Anthony's average speed on the court last season was 3.7 miles per hour, per the Player Tracking on NBA.com. Mike Dunleavy had the highest average speed among forwards at 4.5 miles per hour.

Anthony averaged three miles traveled on the court per game last season. Again, Dunleavy had the longest distance covered among forwards last year with 3.7 miles per game.

These numbers can be a bit misleading, though, because they measure the average speed of all movements (sprinting, jogging, standing, walking, backwards and forwards) by a player while on the court. So it's tough to draw definitive conclusions from those statistics.

3. Moving the ball: One of the tenets of triangle offense is movement. Both players and the ball should be in motion in order for things to work well.

The scout we spoke with wonders if Anthony can adapt his game to fit that approach.

"For them to have success, he's going to have to be a willing passer. That offense is predicated on spacing and ball movement and he can’t hold the ball like he has on previous occasions. So he’s got to pass the ball."

The feeling here is that Anthony's reputation as a ball stopper is a bit overblown. Again, this is tough to quantify.

But it's worth nothing that Carmelo had 6.3 "assist opportunities" per game last season. This is an interesting statistic because it's a measure of passes to a teammate in which that teammate attempts a shot. You acquire an "assist opportunity" if the shot attempted was one that, if made, would have resulted in the passer getting an a.ssist.

Anthony had a strong number of "assist opportunities" last year.

Anthony's mark of 6.3 a.ssist opportunities per game was 13th among forwards who played at least 30 minutes per game. Kevin Love posted 8.5 a.ssist opportunities per game.

On the flip side, only 38.5 percent of Carmelo's field goals were a.ssisted last season, a relatively low number.

And he had the ball for an average of 3.6 minutes per game, the 2nd highest mark among forwards who averaged at least 30 minutes per game, behind LeBron James.

So the statistics can paint a murky picture.

But no matter how you analyze Anthony's ball movement from last season, it's fair to a.ssume that he'll have to be a bit more willing to pass this season for the triangle to be successful.

Anthony's success in the triangle is pivotal for the Knicks this season and in the future. He signed a five-year, $124 million contract with the Knicks in July. Derek Fisher and Phil Jackson are under contract for the life of Anthony's deal. So Anthony and the triangle will be intertwined for the foreseeable future.

But Anthony himself he pointed out last week, the success of the offense can't hinge solely on Melo.

"It's not about really me, it's about everybody else. If everybody's not on the same page in the triangle, then the triangle is not going to work," Carmelo said last Thursday. "So it's about everybody coming together, playing their role and doing what they have to do to make it work."

That's true. But as with most other things around the Knicks, it all starts with Melo.
 3 years ago '04        #11264
space
space
Pre-Season Schedule
Oct. 8....... @ Boston Celtics.............. XL Center, Hartford, CT.................................. 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 11..... @ Boston Celtics.............. Mohegan Sun Arena, Mohegan, CT.................. 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 13..... vs. Toronto Raptors.......... Madison Square Garden, New York, NY............. 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 14..... at Philadelphia 76ers........ Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY............................ 7:00 p.m.

Oct. 20..... vs. Milwaukee Bucks......... Madison Square Garden, New York, NY............. 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 22..... vs. Washington Wizards.... Madison Square Garden, New York, NY............. 7:30 p.m.

Oct. 24..... @ Toronto Raptors........... Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec........................ 7:30 p.m.
 3 years ago '07        #11265
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,443 | Props total: 341 341
We have enough big men need another pg, prigioni ain't it I'm sorry

16 - 22 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 42% 464 (-9) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 3 years ago '08        #11266
AC_89 172 heat pts172
space
space
$36,525 | Props total: 9209 9209
I wonder if melo starts at the 3 or 4 now
 3 years ago '04        #11267
space
space
 Funeral James said:
We have enough big men need another pg, prigioni ain't it I'm sorry
So u prefer a 4th PG?
 3 years ago '04        #11268
space
space
 AC_89 said:
I wonder if melo starts at the 3 or 4 now
Easily a 3
 3 years ago '07        #11269
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,443 | Props total: 341 341
 Born_Loser said:
So u prefer a 4th PG?
Is tour'e still on the squad?

16 - 22 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 42% 464 (-9) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 3 years ago '04        #11270
space
space
 Funeral James said:
Is tour'e still on the squad?
nope, last i heard, Knicks told him to be patient till they find a way to clear space for him
 3 years ago '08        #11271
AC_89 172 heat pts172
space
space
 Born_Loser said:
Easily a 3
So then who starts at the 4 amare or bargnani
 08-26-2014, 06:53 AM         #11272
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 AC_89 said:
So then who starts at the 4 amare or bargnani
n*ggas out here hating on Godnani.
 3 years ago '06        #11273
lmnop 122 heat pts122
space
space
space
$20,854 | Props total: 940 940
melo is def starting at the 3 this year. he'll play some 4 in spurts when we run a quick lineup
 3 years ago '04        #11274
space
space
Barg off the bench with Smitty, deadly if healthy
 3 years ago '08        #11275
AC_89 172 heat pts172
space
space
 Kitsch said:
n*ggas out here hating on Godnani.
27% from three
 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM         #11276
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 AC_89 said:
27% from three

3 years ago '04        #11277
space
space
Tour'e taking his talents to the mormons
 3 years ago '04        #11278
space
space
Howie Kussoy

Iman Shumpert has spent the summer working on a lot of little things, honing different elements of his offensive arsenal, in preparation for what he expects to be a bigger role in the Knicks offense.

Having spent the majority of his young career playing in Mike Woodson’s perimeter-heavy attack, Shumpert said he believes the switch to Derek Fisher’s triangle offense finally will allow him to be properly utilized on the offensive end.

“There’s constant action going on,” Shumpert said. “I think I’ll be able to capitalize off that and I’ll be able to use my athleticism a lot more than standing in the corner.”

After tearing his ACL during the 2012 playoffs, missing much of the following season and spraining his MCL in the same knee last season, Shumpert said the biggest focus of his offseason training has been strengthening his left knee back to the level it was during his breakout rookie season.

“All I’ve been working on is just getting that trust back in my left leg, to take off from further, to take off earlier and use it a lot more, cutting and slashing to the basket,” Shumpert said at his Basketball ProCamp in Westchester. “I know this year, this offense, I’ll have a lot more opportunities to cut and get to the basket, so I just want to work on the strength in my leg and be able to jump off and be comfortable.”

Last season, Shumpert struggled as the team struggled, resulting in the 24-year-old facing non-stop trade rumors, which caused him to stop using social media. Though Shumpert said he still can’t figure out what caused the Knicks to fall from the No. 2 seed to eight games below .500, he believes the difficulties they faced last season only will help them avoid a similar outcome in the upcoming season.

“I think we’ll be great,” Shumpert said. “This year, I think we’ll be able to clean up a lot of the stuff that we went through last year. I think it’s going to help us this year a lot, what we had to go through last year. I think it’ll give everybody that chip on their shoulder.”
 3 years ago '04        #11279
space
space
Ohm Youngmisuk

With training camp less than two months away, we’re examining the burning questions facing the New York Knicks.

Today’s question: Do the Knicks have enough size to compete?

When Phil Jackson traded Tyson Chandler earlier this summer, the Zen Master was lauded for not only being able to ship Chandler and Raymond Felton out of town but also for bringing in Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Shane Larkin and two second-round picks, which helped land Cleanthony Early.

While Chandler was looking for a fresh start elsewhere, the Knicks parted with their best rebounder and interior defender. When healthy, he provided the Knicks with an active big man who was the last line of defense.

Now, the Knicks start the Derek Fisher era with uncertainty inside the paint. Yes, Carmelo Anthony can be a force on the boards. But does he have enough help inside?

Let’s start with Dalembert, who could be the starter. When given steady minutes, he can rebound and certainly can block shots. The 6-foot-11 center has career averages of 7.8 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game over his 12-year career.

Dalembert is probably at his most effective within a 20- to 25-minute range. Over the past six years, he has averaged no more than 25.9 minutes per game during a season. Last season, Dalembert played 20.2 minutes a game and averaged 6.6 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocks for the Mavericks.

At 33, Dalembert should be able to provide the Knicks with rebounding and blocked shots but not heavy minutes.

The wild card for the Knicks could be 7-footer Jason Smith. He provides the Knicks with a center capable of burying the midrange jumper, rebounding and blocking shots. Smith, 28, averaged 9.7 points, 5.8 rebounds and 0.9 blocks per game in 31 games last season before missing time with a knee injury.

Smith has had trouble staying healthy, playing more than 50 games in a season only once in the past three years. But he could be a good fit in the triangle if he avoids injury.

Speaking of health, the Knicks would benefit if Amar'e Stoudemire and Andrea Bargnani can stay on the court. Stoudemire showed flashes last season of the old Amar'e, averaging 11.9 points and 4.9 rebounds in 22.6 minutes a game. It remains to be seen how he will fit in the triangle, but his ability to hit shots from the outside helps. Fisher shouldn’t use Stoudemire for a ton of minutes, obviously, due to his knees. But Stoudemire has said he feels better, and he is entering a contract year.

Bargnani, the 7-foot offensive-minded big man, might like playing in the triangle with his ability to shoot from the outside. He averaged 13.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 42 games, missing time with an elbow injury. Bargnani is also entering a contract year, so he should be motivated. Being reunited with Calderon also should help.

The Knicks acquired the 6-9 Travis Outlaw and 6-7 Quincy Acy, and backup center Cole Aldrich adds depth. Early is thin, but at 6-8 he adds some length.

In the East, Cleveland boasts Kevin Love, LeBron James, Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao. Chicago now has Pau Gasol to go with Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson.

The Raptors still have a rising Jonas Valanciunas and Amir Johnson. The Wizards re-signed Marcin Gortat and added Kris Humphries and DeJuan Blair to go with Nene. The Heat still have Chris Bosh, and the Hornets still have Al Jefferson.

The Knicks may not have the offensive firepower inside like some of these other East playoff contenders. They don’t have one athletic big man who can log 30-plus minutes and be a surefire double-double guy. They will likely have to rely on Melo to be that force on the boards.

Fisher will have to go with size by committee. Where I see the biggest concern inside is defensively for the Knicks. There are some shot-blockers, but can they defend in the post? Will they be able to win the battle on the defensive boards?

Much of the answer rests with their health. If their bigs can remain active, the Knicks should have just enough size to be in contention for a playoff spot in the East.
 3 years ago '08        #11280
AC_89 172 heat pts172
space
space
Yeah we enough they just aren't the most talented bigs tho
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Groom cancels wedding after video of Bride going Wild in Bachelorette ..
229 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
OBLITERATE THE PUNANI!!! beating up & killing the pu$$y is old school "WE GOTT..
80 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This pic... internet is brutal
158 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
May 23 - ISIL take over town in the Philippines, matial law declared
36 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Someone tried to clown new rappers but Kodak actually killed Em's sh-t ..
137 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside fu-k Carly to improve race relations
63 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Yatchy's debut album, Teenage Emotions, trash or not?
73 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Well Damn "It won't be sweet for you! Any contract can be re-contracted"-Birdman
158 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy