New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pink Toe With Ridiculous Buns
21 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
35 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Chris Paul Dinner Date With Lebron's Wife
47 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ye hopped on the blonde hair wave
79 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 2 years ago '04        #11141
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,712 | Props total: 2231 2231
And Berman is reporting Melo might not take the max... What a fu*king shocker (not really)
 2 years ago '04        #11142
space
space
Berman

LAS VEGAS — Chicago is still the Second City. And New York is still home for Carmelo Anthony.

As expected, Anthony chose the Knicks over the Bulls on Saturday on the 12th day of free agency, according to NBA sources. The Knicks and Anthony were negotiating the contract Saturday and no official announcement will be made until Sunday.

Anthony had five contract offers from which to choose, including the five-year, $129 million max. But indications are he will accept less than the maximum, in excess of $121 million, as Jackson has encouraged. The Post first reported last week Anthony may take less than the max offered to give the Knicks flexibility in 2015 and 2016 free agency.

One scenario being discussed is taking the $22.4 million max the first year and taking a slight pay decrease the second year instead of the customary 7.5-percent raise.

“It’s getting closer to sounding like Carmelo will be rejoining the team,’’ coach Derek Fisher said Saturday after the Knicks’ summer-league victory over the Blazers. “That’s great news. I’m excited to hear it’s possible and at least it’s closer to being real.’’

The Knicks were the strong favorite entering and during the free-agency process, and team president Phil Jackson said earlier this week he expected a positive resolution. Now he’s got it.

Because the contract negotiations were ongoing, Jackson wouldn’t discuss his finest victory as Knicks president.

“We don’t have anything yet to stack up so rather than talk about it,’’ Jackson said. “We’ll wait. We’ll be there.”

Though the Knicks roster for this season doesn’t appear as strong as the Bulls’ collection of talent, Anthony in the end decided he wanted to align his future with Jackson and attempt to follow in the footsteps of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, two superstars whom Jackson turned into champions.

According to sources, Anthony was happy with the addition of point guard Jose Calderon and the hiring of Fisher. Entering free agency, Anthony gave strong hints he didn’t want to uproot his family and The Post reported his wife, La La Vazquez, didn’t want him to leave the Knicks.

“At the end of the day that’s my first priority, to stay,’’ Anthony said during the All-Star break. “That’s my first priority. My priority is to figure it out together. My priority is not to just because I say I want to be a free agent, is to go leave. I never was a guy that comes into a situation and basically when it’s not going well to leave like that. That’s not my personality. I came to New York, and I said it before, I wanted to retire a Knick. That’s not something I would [expletive] with, I said it, I meant it. That’s how I feel.’’

His words proved prophetic, though who knows what could have happened if the Bulls had found a way to open up the requisite cap space. That’s why the Knicks remained confident throughout the process. The Bulls would have needed a tricky sign-and-trade to get it done or have Anthony accept a four-year, $73 million pact.

“I’m not surprised. I would’ve been surprised if he left. He’s a winner, [a] competitor,’’ said Knicks power forward Kenyon Martin, an Anthony friend and free agent attending the summer league in Las Vegas. “I think he wants to bring championship to New York.’’

Jackson still has his $3.3 million mini mid-level exception and has shown interest in Washington’s Trevor Booker and New Orleans power forward Jason Smith.

Anthony had wanted to play with Pau Gasol in New York and Jackson made a bid, but the former Laker reached an agreement with the Bulls on Saturday.

Free agency was on Anthony’s bucket list, and he visited four cities — Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Los Angeles. The Bulls provided the most powerful presentation, focusing more on the roster and the team’s ability to win a championship than on finances.

As Jackson said Thursday, he and Anthony had “struck a chord.’’ Still, Anthony waited two extra days after the official signing period commenced before committing.

“I think he’s enjoying the process of free agency,’’ Knicks center Cole Aldrich told The Post. “I know all the stuff he enjoyed in New York.’’

Jackson fully expected to win this battle against the two clubs he coached to a combined 11 titles in the Bulls and Lakers, who weren’t as big a factor as some reports suggested. But he expected to hear from Anthony last Monday.

“I don’t think the money ever was the most important part,’’ said a source close to Anthony.

“I think his concern was could they make the team better this season. He is comfortable in the outer years but needed to be convinced about the upcoming year.’’
 2 years ago '08        #11143
AC_89 148 heat pts148
space
space
$33,903 | Props total: 5653 5653
I don't think melo and rose would've meshed well together
 2 years ago '04        #11144
space
space
 AC_89 said:
I don't think melo and rose would've meshed well together
Tell that to the "experts" who lack common sense
 2 years ago '11        #11145
King Henry 522 heat pts522
space
space
$41,182 | Props total: 4630 4630
Shane Larkin was a freaking steal
 2 years ago '07        #11146
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,384 | Props total: 277 277
Early missin late game layups smh he needs to be more aggressive

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 217 (-134) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 2 years ago '04        #11147
space
space
Begley

Carmelo Anthony, Knicks reach deal

Anthony and the Knicks had been in the final stages of negotiations since Saturday.

Anthony announced the deal himself via his personal website on Sunday afternoon.

"A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality," Anthony said in a statement. "This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered."

Anthony was being courted by the Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers. He met with each team last week.

He was choosing between the Knicks and Bulls as recently as Friday, according to sources.

"I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart," he said in the statement. "I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world."
 2 years ago '08        #11148
AC_89 148 heat pts148
space
space
$33,903 | Props total: 5653 5653
How's thanasis looked in the summer league so far?
 2 years ago '04        #11149
space
space
Berman

LAS VEGAS — Phil Jackson said Carmelo Anthony took less than the maximum $129 million contract, and the Zen Master declared he needs his star player to maximize his teammates to win a championship.

Anthony officially announced he was coming back on his website early Sunday afternoon, writing an essay with the headline “My Heart, My City.’’ Anthony wrote: “I am a New York Knick at heart.’’

Anthony took less to stay with the Knicks — estimated at $122-$123 million over five years. But it was still a lot more than what the cap-space challenged runner-up Bulls could offer — 4 years, $73 million.

Jackson confirmed The Post’s reports Anthony structured the deal to give the Knicks more cap space in 2015. It is believed he didn’t take his annual 7.5 percent raise in Year 2 and may have taken a tiny pay decrease. Under collective bargaining agreement rules, a player can receive as high as a 7.5 percent pay raise annually.

“He did exactly what we kind of asked him to do,’’ Jackson said. “Give us a break in the early part of the contract when we have some wiggle room — hopefully big enough wiggle room — next year when we can exploit it.’’

Anthony’s sacrifice in Year 2 likely opens up about $2 million more in cap space for 2015, but the rest of his annual wages suffer by not taking the raise.

Meanwhile, Jackson emphatically said Anthony has to buy into this triangle-like new system that will promote sharing the ball and taking the load off him offensively. Otherwise, Jackson feels the Knicks won’t compete for a title any time soon.

“It depends how quickly our team evolves,’’ Jackson said of how soon the club will be in title contention. “If we evolve as a team, we can do it rather quickly. If we’re still going to sit and rely on Carmelo to do everything, it’s not going to happen.

“We put that load on him, it’s not going to happen. That’s what we’ve wanted to a.ssure him. We want to evolve as a team and that sometimes means the old buying into the system and giving in to the process. And the process can take time. Hopefully shorter time than longer.’’

The new regime believes Mike Woodson played Anthony too many minutes and didn’t set him up to succeed late in games as a result with a predictable offense. His final-minute shooting stats in close games were abysmal last season.

“I talked to Carmelo about that during the process. One of the things about the [triangle] offensive system, you can’t try to score every time you touch the ball,’’ Jackson said. “You have to participate and have all guys be involved.

“You also have to have guys strong enough if things break down, you need that man who can get a shot on his own you, have a guy who’s a great bailout guy in Carmelo.

“That’s what he’s looking for. He admired San Antonio’s game and how they played. That’s the way we want to play.”

On the 13th day of free agency, the Brooklyn-born Anthony sent a message to the fans. He will not stage a press conference so the words on his website stand for now.

Anthony praised Jackson as “a champion who builds championship teams,” lauded the Knicks fans as “the greatest in the world” and said he wants to “build here with this city.”

“A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality,” Anthony wrote. “This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team.”

Soon after, the Knicks made it official with their own announcement with Jackson calling Anthony “the cornerstone’’ in a statement.

Knicks coach Derek Fisher didn’t speak to the press Sunday but said in the statement: “I have had the opportunity to be around some of the greatest players in our game, and now I have the honor of coaching Carmelo.’’

Jackson said the Knicks had “implications’’ for several days Anthony was coming back and the delay related to which of the five contract offers he’d take.

That’s why the Knicks had been so confident all last week.

“There never was any tension in our conversations,’’ Jackson said of his three meetings with Melo. “I think it went very well with us. All the conversations were relaxed, comfortable. You got the feeling he really wanted to listen to what was offered and he wanted us to hear him.

“I’m glad Carmelo has seen we have the vision and trusted us with what he implied and impressed upon us — his desire to win and be on a competitive team. Our message to him is we are going to be a competitive team. It may not be instantaneous. We may not be able to just drop in and win a championship. But that’s the direction we’re going.’’
 2 years ago '04        #11150
space
space
Berman

LAS VEGAS — So what’s next in the Knicks’ post-Melo-signing universe?

Phil Jackson said he needs to do minor tinkering to balance the roster, but there will be no big splashes now that Pau Gasol is off to Chicago. And Jackson may not even use the $3.3 million mini mid-level exception.

Jackson said the club needs more rebounding and has a glut of guards he needs to straighten out, but is very wary of giving out a long-term deal as he looks to protect the 2015 cap space. Jackson also has to see whether second-rounder Cleanthony Early can be Carmelo Anthony’s backup. The Zen Master said he has been impressed with Early, but still called him “green.’’

The Knicks will have major cap room in 2015 and center Marc Gasol is expected to be their top target — unless LeBron James opts out if things somehow crash in Cleveland.

“I want to be fiscally responsible,’’ Jackson said. “We’ve been a taxpayer team for some time and we want to eliminate that.

“We’re not going to foolishly throw money away because it’s available to us. We want to make appropriate moves that bring our team forward. We have a roster that we can’t add a whole lot of players.’’

Wayne Ellington and backup point guard Shane Larkin could be moved for a rebounding big man. The Knicks have inquired about New Orleans power forward Jason Smith and Washington’s Trevor Booker with their exception. Metta World Peace is also a free agent and sources say wants to get back to New York.

“We still need positions to be filled,’’ Jackson said. “We’re short big and long in the guard corps. We have to do roster management there.’’

The Post reported Sunday coach Derek Fisher has added a second a.ssistant from his former Oklahoma City squad, Brian Keefe, according to an NBA source.

Keefe has been with the Thunder for seven seasons — five as an a.ssistant, working under Scott Brooks. During his first two years with Oklahoma City, Keefe served as a player development coach.

Already on the staff is a.ssociate head coach Kurt Rambis, former Lakers a.ssistant Rasheed Hazzard and former Oklahoma City a.ssistant Joshua Longstaff.

Fisher said he wants to add one more a.ssistant and there have been talks with Jim Cleamons, fired as a Bucks a.ssistant in the wake of the Jason Kidd hiring.

Ex-Laker Rick Fox, who interviewed for the head job, said he is not being considered. Former Lakers a.ssistant Frank Hamblen attended the Knicks practice Sunday, but could be a candidate.

Jackson on waiving Lamar Odom: “It hurt. We really wanted him to have an opportunity. He couldn’t break free from what was going on and get back on the basketball court.’’

Odom allegedly missed last season due to substance-abuse issues.
 2 years ago '04        #11151
space
space
Steve Serby

Jim Boeheim is confident Carmelo Anthony — his former Syracuse pupil who will re-sign with the Knicks — will be able to help Phil Jackson recruit a star player to the Garden for the 2015 season.

“People like him. He gets along well with everybody,” Boeheim told The Post. “In the NBA, it’s one or two key guys. And if New York can attract that one or two additional guys next year, then they could be right in there. Pros are like colleges now in: ‘Who can you recruit?’

“Pro coaches said they always liked coaching in the pros, they didn’t have to recruit,” he adds with a chuckle. “Now they have to recruit.

“Phil and Carmelo Anthony, that’s two positive influences in terms of trying to attract other players. I think it’s two really positive pieces, and if you can play well in New York, there’s probably not many better places to play well.

And so Boeheim can see light at the end of the dark Knicks tunnel.

Modal Trigger

Boeheim directs Anthony on the Syracuse bench during a 2003 NCAA tournament game against Manhattan.Photo: AP

“I think it’s very hopeful,” he said. “They’re gonna have a great new guy in charge, I think a guy (Derek Fisher) who to me looks like he could be a good coach. I think it’s not that unrealistic to think a guy like (Steve) Kerr, or Fisher, or (Jason) Kidd or David Blatt, those guys are good coach prospects. They understood the game. The professional game is so much about the people, and handling of players. And, to a large extent, Derek Fisher’s been working with players the last 10 years, as a player-kinda-coach type on the court. So I think that’s very positive. Having Phil Jackson in charge is a pretty positive thing, and he seems to be involved and really wanting to do this. And the influence of New York, and having one guy that’s a tremendous player and everybody knows that, in his prime for the next three and four years.

“So I think they have reason to be optimistic that this year is gonna be a lot better than last year, and I think they have a reasonable expectation that they’re gonna attract somebody to come and play in New York that’ll help them in the future.”

The Hall of Fame Syracuse coach was asked if he could envision his former one-and-done star recruiting LeBron James to New York after the 2015 season.

“They’ve always wanted to play together,” Boeheim said, “but I think it’s gonna be hard to get him out of Cleveland unless things don’t go well there. But there are other great players coming in the market the next two years.”

Asked if Jackson’s triangle offense is a good fit for Anthony, Boeheim said: “It’s a good offense. It’s an isolation offense — you get your isolation opportunities out of it and you keep the defense spread. He’s a good player in isolation. He’s been criticized for that, but basically that’s what the triangle offense is. It gives you isolation situations for great players. I mean, that’s why Jordan and Kobe were pretty good playing offense. It clears space and gives you opportunities to make your play. So, yeah, I think it’ll be a good system for him.

“I think he always wanted to stay with the Knicks. I think he always wanted to play there. I really do. I mean, everybody’s saying, ‘Well, it’s more money.’ You can never discount money, but I think he likes New York, I think he’s comfortable there, his son’s comfortable there. … I have not talked to him, so I don’t really have any inside information, but I just think he wanted to be in New York, and I think he’s gonna believe that Phil Jackson was great at what he did as a coach, and he hopes he’s gonna be great at this.

“Obviously, there’s a lot of work to be done with LeBron going to Cleveland and Chicago getting Gasol, Indiana is still really good, Washington’s gotten better. It’s not gonna be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

“It’s obvious this year’s not gonna be a championship team. But can you get somebody to come there next year?”
 2 years ago '04        #11152
space
space
Fred Katz

LAS VEGAS -- Re-signing Carmelo Anthony was the first step in a series of moves the New York Knicks need to become competitive once again. Still, Phil Jackson’s team is a long way away from building a championship roster.

No matter what the Knicks do the rest of the offseason, it’s going to take time, and Jackson knows that.

“If we’re still going to sit and rely on Carmelo to do everything and put that load on him, that’s not going to happen,” Jackson said of the Knicks’ chances at immediate success. “Sometimes it means buying into the system and giving yourself into a process.”

That system is, of course, the triangle offense, something the Knicks have even been running during their first couple games at Las Vegas Summer League. It’s practice for Derek Fisher and the coaching staff, and a rehearsal for the players, many of whom will be on the roster once the regular season begins.

For the first time in his career, Anthony will adjust to playing within the triangle.

“One of the things about the offensive system is you can’t try to score every time you catch the ball,” Jackson says about Anthony’s ball-dominant culture. “You have to participate and you also have to have guys who are strong enough to know that there’s a whole offense to run.”

It has become such a common topic: Will the Knicks and Melo thrive within the triangle? But really, this isn’t about a “system” or “the triangle” as much as it’s about style.

Anthony has been a ball-dominant player throughout his NBA career. Last season, when he isolated more on a per-play basis than any other qualifying player in the league, per Synergy Sports, was no different. But maybe next year can be.

“He admired San Antonio’s game and how they played, and that’s the way we want to play,” Jackson said of Melo’s prospects on becoming a ball-mover.

We’ve seen Anthony shy away from dribbling and transform into a leading catch-and-shoot player in the past. That is what we call Olympic Carmelo. In the NBA, that style still has a chance to consume Melo’s game, though it doesn’t need to all the time. Anthony’s ability to create on his own remains one of the most valuable a.ssets the Knicks have.

“You need to have that man who can get shots on his own,” Jackson theorizes about NBA offense. “Then, you have a guy that’s a great bailout guy in Carmelo.”

No one in the Eastern Conference can pull off that skill better than Anthony, and coming off one of the best statistical seasons of his career, it’s possible we see a better Melo than we’ve seen before once he fully adjusts to a new system.

Phil Jackson on having to let Lamar Odom go: “Oh, it hurt. It hurt. We wanted him to have an opportunity. Just couldn’t kind of break free from what was going on and get back on the basketball court and work.”
 2 years ago '04        #11153
space
space
Ewing coaching against the Knicks today
 2 years ago '04        #11154
space
space
Early not playing today (ankle) and Cole not playing anymore SL (calf)
 2 years ago '04        #11155
space
space
Would like it if Phillip at least considered picking up dat Jew gunner, Omri
 2 years ago '11        #11156
space
space
 Born_Loser said:
Would like it if Phillip at least considered picking up dat Jew gunner, Omri
 2 years ago '11        #11157
space
space
I like Will Sheehey too, hope we can sign him and stash him on our D-League team
 2 years ago '04        #11158
space
space
Galloway, nuff said
 2 years ago '07        #11159
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,384 | Props total: 277 277
Jeremy tyler 19 points, Tim Hardaway Jr. 17 in 95-72 win over Hornets in las vegas summer league.

Knicks 3-0

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 217 (-134) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 2 years ago '10        #11160
SwooshWonder 12 heat pts12
space
space
$24,456 | Props total: 2624 2624
 Funeral James said:
Jeremy tyler 19 points, Tim Hardaway Jr. 17 in 95-72 win over Hornets in las vegas summer league.

Knicks 3-0

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Wasabi thot
21 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - ‘Scumbag’: Internet attacks Santorum for telling Dreamer to lea..
125 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 7 - Japanese Youth Have Found a Way To Marry a Person Without Dating
37 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
281 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
186 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
113 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
64 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy