Video inside 21 Savage Threatens To Kill Tyga and Disses Him In Sacramento
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Charlamagne hanging out with Tomi Lahren in Times Square
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Blac Youngsta puts $250,000 cash on counter at gas station kwiki-mart
13 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside ATL Strikes again
19 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM         #10921
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
How would y'all feel about Ewing being Head Coach?
 3 years ago '04        #10922
Born_Loser|M 81 heat pts81
space
space
$40,638 | Props total: 2138 2138
 Kitsch said:
How would y'all feel about Ewing being Head Coach?
rather a.ssistant, least for now
 3 years ago '04        #10923
space
space
Berman

Lamar Odom, Phil Jackson’s first player acquisition, will start his comeback at the Knicks’ training facility Monday.

Jackson signed Odom on the final day of the regular season with a non-guaranteed pact for the upcoming season, giving the Knicks time to evaluate the troubled power forward from Queens.

That evaluation has yet to start, but Jackson still is hopeful Odom can work out. He had plenty of success for Jackson with the Lakers, playing on two title teams, but that was before he became a reality TV star as husband of Khloe Kardashian. They are now divorced. Odom sat out all last season because of alleged drug issues.

“He’s coming to town this week,” Jackson said in his first comments on Odom. “We know he’s a really good basketball player.

“He wants to put himself back together, and he has a chance to do that by having the whole summer to work at it and getting himself back in basketball condition to play. He told me that’s what he wants to do. Having a relationship with him. It’s a pretty good risk-reward situation for us.’’

Odom could play on the Knicks’ summer-league team in July in Las Vegas.

The Post has reported Jackson worked the non-guaranteed deal this way so he can use Odom as mathematical trade filler this summer in case it doesn’t work out.

Jackson said the partnership with general manager Steve Mills is succeeding.

“We’re working well together,’’ Jackson said. “We’re starting to find a kind of pace of how we do work, parsing up the job. [Owner] Jim Dolan wanted me to focus on certain aspects and not all the details with the minutiae and Steve’s doing some of that.”

Jackson confirmed the Knicks will attempt to buy a second-round pick, acknowledging snaring a first-rounder will be too tough. The Knicks traded away their first- and second-rounders in this June superdraft.

“We have limited amount of funds we can use,’’ Jackson said. “Teams do sell draft picks. If teams are willing to allow us to buy a draft pick for a player we want to have at a position, we’ll do it.’’

Jackson said the Bucks and 76ers are trade targets because those teams own multiple picks in the draft that won’t fit on their rosters, but also said he won’t get into “a bidding war.’’

“We’re not going to run ourselves into the ground if it doesn’t work out,’’ he said.

On the coaching front, Jackson said he’s not averse to hiring a name fans aren’t too familiar with, perhaps referring to former Laker Tyronn Lue, who was to interview with the Cavaliers.

“The fan corps deserve [a coach] that will come in without a bias and have a clean slate to work with,’’ Jackson said. “Something in that appeals to me.’’
 3 years ago '04        #10924
space
space
Begley

If any NBA executive is interested in trading for players on the Knicks’ roster, Phil Jackson is willing to listen.

“I don't think it's any secret that everybody that we have on our roster is up for discussion, if we have other teams call us up,” the Knicks president said on Friday. “I mean, we have players that are free agents in Amar’e [Stoudemire], Andrea [Bargnani], Carmelo [Anthony], Tyson [Chandler], guys that are in situations that are not to be discussed. But the roster that we have beyond that is open for discussion. And if people call up, want to talk about it, we'll discuss it with them.”

Jackson mentioned Stoudemire, Bargnani and Chandler because those players are entering the final year of their contracts. The Knicks would like to let those contracts expire in order clear cap space for the summer of 2015. The market for those players may be stronger closer to the trade deadline because any team acquiring Chandler, Bargnani or Stoudemire would be responsible for only the remainder of their salaries, not the full salary.

But If Jackson gets an offer for the players mentioned above, that benefits the team, he probably wouldn’t hesitate to strike a deal.

Jackson said Friday that he would not be opposed to taking on salary this summer –- and impact the Knicks’ cap space for the summer of 2015 –- if he was presented with the right trade.

“It has to be part of a discussion,” Jackson said of taking the Knicks’ cap space in 2015 into consideration while making moves this summer. “But if we get back what we think we need to fill out the character and the type of player that we want to have, we’re going to go forward with it anyway. We’re not the only team that [is] going to be chasing these players [in 2015]. We have to understand that. We might feel that we have one of the best places in the world to play, but people are susceptible to their backgrounds and where they’re from and families, etc. We understand that, chasing free agency, this team has been through it.”

Speaking of free agents, the Knicks, of course, would listen to sign-and-trade offers for Anthony if they have a.ssurances that he has ruled out re-signing with New York.

Jackson has also made it clear in the past that he won't hesitate to shake up the roster this summer, if the right opportunity presents itself. In a speech after the final game of the regular season, Jackson told the players that there will be personnel changes this summer.

“He said that there’s going to be changes, some of us won’t be in this room next year,” said a Knicks player who heard Jackson’s address.

Jackson said on Friday that he hasn’t told any of the Knicks directly that he’s looking to trade them.

According to a league source, the Knicks president told Raymond Felton during exit meetings that he would consider trading him in the offseason.

Jackson denied that on Friday.

“We're telling players, get yourself ready, start a 10 to 12 week program of exercise, weight training, conditioning so when you come back here you're not trying to get in shape in September. You are in shape so you're play in October. That's the message we've given,” Jackson said.
 06-02-2014, 05:08 PM         #10925
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

3 years ago '04        #10926
space
space
Only Wade & LBJ can get away for doing the exact same sh*t, Phil should know that
 3 years ago '07        #10927
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,380 | Props total: 277 277
This league is disgusting
 3 years ago '04        #10928
space
space
 Funeral James said:
This league is disgusting
hypocrites is a better word lmfao

Phil did this in a city outside of NY, would have never been fined sh*t IMHO
 3 years ago '04        #10929
space
space
Begley

Phil Jackson is well aware of Carmelo Anthony's on-court value to the Knicks.

"We recognize his talent and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games,” Jackson said last week. “Things get sticky, grind out and basketball becomes a force game, and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that."

Jackson also sees Anthony's value off the court.

The Knicks president believes that Anthony, a free agent-to-be, can help the Knicks immensely in attracting other free agents to New York.

Said Jackson:

"I think it really helps. I haven’t been a major recruiter as a basketball coach. I’ve had players who could recruit by their talent; that’s my great fortune. We didn’t have to send out Michael Jordan to go out and recruit people. People wanted to play with him. Or Scottie Pippen. We didn’t have to do that with Shaq [O'Neal] and Kobe [Bryant] in those situations, and they’re willing to do it. As a result, we ended up with [Karl] Malone and Gary Payton on a basketball team at one time.

"So I’ve been in situations like that. But one of the reasons I never went to college [is] because I never wanted to get into that world of promises and dreams. I want to be in reality most of the time, and I think that really helps. The reality of knowing a player is going to come in and he sees what’s done and sees how players get to play, sees the kind of effort that players put out on the floor is something that goes around this league pretty quickly and guys want to be a part of it."

Free agency is expected to be a major facet of the Knicks' rebuild over the next two or three seasons.

Anthony, of course, is the team's top priority in free agency. The Knicks are also expected to target top free agents in the summer of 2015, provided that they have the cap space. LeBron James, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge and Rajon Rondo all may test free agency that summer.

But before the Knicks can begin thinking about the class of 2015 (James also has the option of opting out this summer), they need to figure out Anthony's situation.

Anthony has said for much of the year that he plans to opt out of the final year of his contract and test the waters this summer. Jackson hopes he will consider opting in and accepting less than a maximum contract to give the Knicks a better chance to land marquee free agents.

“We have an opportunity in the next couple of years to get back in the hunt for free agents that are headline players,” Jackson said last week. “This year, not so. But we’re going to make improvements on this team regardless. But next year and the year after, we think that we're going to have that opportunity. Can we get two [players] instead of just one? Yeah, that’s a possibility.

“[The] reality of how to do that involves Carmelo’s compliance. It may not be a $20 million player, $16 million player, $12 million player; it may be a $10 million ballplayer. But that’s the way things work out now. There’s a possibility we can do that."

If Anthony opts in and then re-signs with the Knicks, New York would have approximately $20 million in cap space in the summer of 2015 (accounting for the 2015 first-round pick and salaries for J.R. Smith, Raymond Felton, Iman Shumpert and Tim Hardaway Jr.). That's based on the a.ssumption that Anthony signs a max contract.

The 30-year-old veteran has said that he is open to taking less money from the Knicks -- or any other team he chooses to sign with -- if it helps that team attract free agents.

Anthony also said during the season that he would work with the Knicks to attract other free agents.

“I think people would love to come to play in New York, and when that time comes, we’ll be working on that," he said. "... I have a big black book. I have a big Rolodex. People that talk about what’s going on with me in the offseason, this and that, I should be getting people to come here. I am. I’m trying.”

It sounds like that’s the kind of effort Carmelo's team president would truly appreciate.
 06-03-2014, 10:04 PM         #10930
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Melo to Boston?
 2 years ago '04        #10931
space
space
Begley

Knicks owner James Dolan says he hasn't been involved in the team's coaching search and will not be involved in Carmelo Anthony's free agency.

In other words, Dolan says the two biggest decisions facing the Knicks this summer will be made by president Phil Jackson without much input from the owner.

"I have not asked about the coaching search on purpose. I told [Jackson] I’m here for you if you need me, if you don’t need me that’s fine, too. I’ve got a lot to do," Dolan said in an interview with WFAN on Tuesday afternoon.

Dolan, surprisingly, claimed that he didn't know which coaching candidates Jackson is talking to. It's hard to believe that Dolan didn't know that Jackson was talking to Steve Kerr, who turned the Knicks down to take the head coaching job in Golden State.

Dolan did say that Jackson consulted him regarding contract offers for Kerr. For what it's worth, the Knicks final offer to Kerr was four years, $20 million including incentives, according to a league source. Kerr accepted a five year, $25 million offer from Golden State. Jackson insisted last week that the difference in contracts did not factor in to Kerr's final decision.

Dolan was asked on Wednesday if he will be involved in Anthony's free agency.

"No. I made a commitment to Phil I was going to let him do it," Dolan said. "Unless he asked me for help it’s his to run."

Anthony is expected to test free agency this summer. Jackson has asked Anthony to hold off on test free agency and opt in to his contract this summer, delaying free agency until the summer of 2015. He's also asked Anthony to accept a paycut, something Anthony has said he'd consider.

Dolan has insisted that he won't get involved in the negotiations between Jackson and Anthony. Dolan orchestrated the trade to acquire Anthony from the Nuggets and has established a close relationship with him.

The owner joked on Wednesday that his family gave him a shirt that said "Ask Phil" on it -- an apparent reference to his daily involvement with the Knicks.

There was one other interesting nugget on the subject of autonomy discussed in the interview. Dolan mentioned that Knicks GM Steve Mills -- not Jackson himself -- is overseeing the team's medical staff.

This is significant because, according to reports by the New York Daily News and ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, Jackson wanted to make changes to the team's medical staff but was overruled by Dolan.

Said Dolan of Jackson and Mills: "I think I’ve got the right team in place managing it. We’ll see how it turns out."

Here are other highlights from Dolan's interview:

Q: Did you think you were getting another Glen Sather-type when you hired Jackson -- an experienced executive with championships to prove it?

A: "Yeah, it wasn’t like I’m looking for guys who have the championship as much as guys that were successful and had proven their ability to be successful. With both teams I want somebody in charge who really knows what they’re doing. This is not something I have any expertise in, [so I] don’t want anyone who hasn’t shown the ability to do it."

Q. Has Phil been what you expected?

A. Pretty much. He’s gotten in, he’s taking control [and] he and Steve [Mills] are working really well together. ... Phil has a great guy underneath him, actually right next to him. I think I’ve got the right team in place managing it. We’ll see how it turns out."

Q. Do you put the same energy into both teams?

A. Well, it sort of depends on how they’re doing and what they need. Both teams know that they have as much resources as I can possibly give them in order to be successful. So in that way they’re definitely both treated equally. I will say the Rangers are probably a little easier because Glen’s there. And you know, the Knicks have been not as easy, but I’m hoping they’re going to be easier now."

Q. What does the Clippers sale for $2 billion mean for the valuation of the Knicks?

A. I think that -- I don’t know if it changes everything because the Milwaukee franchise sold for pretty much a lot higher than anyone thought. The valuations have changed. The NBA is a very successful league now, first under David [Stern] and now under Adam [Silver]. I think every franchise is gong to be successful and they’re great a.ssets to own, only 30 of them in the whole world, so they’re kind of rare commodities."
 2 years ago '04        #10932
space
space
Berman

Mark Jackson called the Knicks head-coaching position “an incredible job’’ and seemed to suggest he would have legitimate interest despite rumors to the contrary.

The Post reported a member of his inner circle saying Jackson may be leery of a situation in which the team president is very hands-on with the coach. That appears to be the case when Phil Jackson hires his new coach, with Derek Fisher his current top choice.

Mark Jackson, who is doing the NBA Finals for ABC with Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Breen, said on a conference call it takes “a special personality’’ to coach the Knicks and everyone’s “not made for New York City.’’ It appeared Jackson was questioning whether Fisher or Steve Kerr, both from out of town, had the ingredients.

When asked about the fan furor that he gets the job, Jackson said: “Obviously you hear the talk even if it’s the New York Post reporting my inner circle made a statement and I have no clue because my wife and kids haven’t spoken to The Post. To counter that, it’s an incredible job. It’s an incredible opportunity and I’m sure that Phil Jackson will do an outstanding job of finding the right coach to get that organization and that team headed back in the right situation.’’

Fisher, who is from Little Rock, Ark., was asked by The Post on Sunday whether he liked New York City. He said his first visit as a Lakers rookie he “locked myself in the hotel room’’ because he was fearful. Fisher added the city “kind of grew on me.’’

Mark Jackson admitted it’s not a job for everyone.

“As a kid that grew up in New York City, a fan of the Knicks, everybody’s not made for New York City,’’ said the Brooklyn product, ex-St. John’s and Knick star. “That’s whether you’re management, whether you’re playing, whether you’re coaching.

“To be quite honest, everybody is not built for it. It’s a different animal. It takes a special personality and a person understanding the things that come into play. I’m biased, but I thought Jeff [Van Gundy] did an incredible job juggling all of them.’’

Phil Jackson hasn’t spoken directly to Mark Jackson, but it’s believed general manager Steve Mills and a.ssistant GM Allan Houston, who are close to Mark Jackson, have done so.

“I do look forward to coaching one day if it presents himself again,’’ said Jackson, who was fired by Golden State last month. “Right now I’m having a blast with my crew.’’

Jackson was a rare case of going from having no coaching experience to becoming head coach after only working as a broadcaster. Jason Kidd started what may become a trend of going straight to head coach immediately after the end of a playing career.

“I believe I would have been able to do it,’’ Jackson said. “Unfortunately I didn’t have an opportunity.’’
 2 years ago '04        #10933
space
space
Berman

Phil Jackson sent out a cryptic tweet in response to the $25,000 fine he received from the NBA for tampering with Derek Fisher, indicating he was “chagrined.’’ Jackson was fined Monday for making comments last Friday about Fisher being on his coaching candidate list.

Fisher is still under contract with the Thunder, who would like to have him back as a player and unofficial a.ssistant coach. The Post reported Oklahoma City filed a complaint with the NBA over Jackson’s overtures.

Jackson’s tweet:

"Undaunted by "stuff" we will continue to have a relationship with the press, which informs our fan base#chagrined"

Jackson’s message is he will continue to reach the fan base through the media despite a fine that seemed petty. In his meeting with the team beat writers last Friday, Jackson at first was reluctant to talk about Fisher.

“I’m not allowed to say boo, I think,’’ Jackson said. “I said B-O and I didn’t get the other ‘O’ out and the league already called me up.’’

When pressed, Jackson relented.

“I have no idea if he wants to come here and move his family,’’ Jackson said. “These are things he has to express. There’s so many unknowns and I’m not talking to him. But he’s definitely a person on my list of guys who could be very good candidates for this job.’’

Jackson needs to get permission from the Thunder to speak with Fisher, who said late Saturday night he would only need a few days before addressing his future. Fisher and Jackson were expected to speak by week’s end.

Nets general manager Billy King, during a press conference Wednesday at their free-agent mini-camp, didn’t want to make the same mistake as Jackson when asked if Fisher could make the transition from player to coach like Jason Kidd did smoothly.

“I can’t comment on Derek,’’ King said. “He’s [going to be] a free agent.’’
 2 years ago '04        #10934
space
space
Berman

Phil Jackson has a lot of motivation to get his coaching search done in the next 10 days.

According to an NBA source, Jackson is flying to Turkey in mid-June with his fiancée, Lakers president Jeanie Buss, for nearly a week to attend his son Ben’s wedding.

Jackson desperately wants the coaching search wrapped up before his European vacation with Buss, who has some interest in Derek Fisher for the Lakers’ front office, if not as head coach.

The NBA source said Jackson, who has five kids, originally planned to make it a two-week Turkish holiday before he had accepted the Knicks presidency in mid-March. Jackson, however, didn’t want to miss the NBA Draft on June 26, though he never figured he would still be searching for a coach in early June.

Though he doesn’t have a draft pick, Jackson plans to buy one in the second round.

Fisher, the leading candidate for the Knicks job, seemed cognizant of Jackson’s urgency late Saturday after Oklahoma City got eliminated in the Western Conference finals when he said: “I’ll try to do that as soon as possible for all parties involved and make the decisions that need to be made.’’

That Jackson is physically fit to make the journey to Turkey is a good sign for those holding out hope of him coaching the team himself this season. Jackson, 68, has cited his flagging health, saying he is unable to stand the excessive plane travel. Buss, however, has attempted to convince him to return to the bench.

On Friday, when asked about coaching, Jackson said: “I’m always going to be interested in coaching. It’s whether I can do it or not. I have to understand the level of my physical capabilities. At this point, I don’t see it unless the Lord heals me in the next week or two. I wouldn’t see myself feeling physically prepared to take on the grind of coaching a basketball team right now.’’

Jackson has had a hip replacement and a knee replacement and The Post has reported he will need a second knee replacement in the future. Jackson also overcame prostate cancer and has battled heart issues for many years, once needing an angioplasty.

If Fisher falls through, Jackson can look at his two former a.ssistants who are triangle wizards in Kurt Rambis and Jim Cleamons. Jackson has also interviewed veteran coach Mike Dunleavy.

According to a person in his inner circle, Mark Jackson may be reluctant to coach the Knicks with too heavy an influence from the president’s office, making it a bad match. The Zen Master has been interested in interviewing the ex-Knick and former St. John’s star, who is working the NBA Finals for ABC.

Fisher and Jackson should hold their first conversation by week’s end, though Jackson needs permission from Oklahoma City to speak with Fisher. The Thunder filed a complaint with the NBA Monday over Jackson’s comments that Fisher, who is under contract to Oklahoma City until June 30, was on his list of coaching candidates. The league fined Jackson $25,000.
 2 years ago '04        #10935
space
space
Begley

P.J. Hairston will work out for the Knicks on Thursday, according to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman. Goodman reports that the Knicks will also look to trade for a first-round pick, which could be construed as a sign of their interest in Hairston.

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard is projected as a mid-to-late first-round pick by ESPN’s Chad Ford, so if the Knicks are serious about acquiring Hairston, they might have to get into the first round to draft him.

New York doesn’t currently own a pick in the 2014 draft. It dealt its first-round pick to the Denver Nuggets in the Carmelo Anthony trade and its second-round pick to the Houston Rockets in the Marcus Camby trade.

Team president Phil Jackson had previously stated that the Knicks would be interested in buying a draft pick if there is a player worth acquiring.

"Teams do sell draft picks," Jackson said last week. "We are going to approach teams and ask them if they’re willing to allow us to buy a draft pick if we feel like there’s a player we want to have at a position that comes up. So that’s a bang-bang situation."

Jackson said it is unlikely that the Knicks will be able to acquire a first-round pick, but if the right situation presents itself, they would likely listen.

Would Hairston be a good fit for the triangle offense? A skilled scorer with deep shooting range, Hairston averaged 21 points on 45 percent shooting in the D-League last season after being suspended and eventually dismissed by North Carolina.

The Hairston workout is intriguing because the Knicks currently have depth at shooting guard. With rookie Tim Hardaway Jr., Iman Shumpert and J.R. Smith on the roster, the Knicks have a veritable logjam at the position. Would they look to move Shumpert or Smith in a deal to acquire a first-round pick in order to take Hairston?

This is all conjecture, of course, but, given Hairston’s workout, it’s worth considering.

In other draft news, the Knicks worked out Florida center Patric Young on Wednesday.
 2 years ago '04        #10936
space
space
Begley

Carmelo Anthony had one of the best statistical seasons of his career. But it wasn’t good enough to be named to any of the three All-NBA teams.

The NBA announced its All-NBA teams on Wednesday and Anthony was left off of all three teams.

The All-NBA Teams were chosen by a panel of 125 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada.

The six forwards voted ahead of Anthony all had fantastic seasons.

LeBron James and Kevin Durant were the first-team forwards. Kevin Love and Blake Griffin were the second-team forwards and LaMarcus Aldridge and Paul George were the third-team forwards.

Anthony received 86 votes (one first team). That total was 73 votes fewer than Aldridge’s total, which was the lowest among forwards. He averaged 27.4 points and a career-high 8.1 rebounds. And, he's the first player to average as many as 27 points and eight rebounds in a season since Shaquille O’Neal did it in 2002-03.

Anthony may have been penalized for the Knicks' struggles. New York won just 37 games and failed to make the playoffs for the first time in four seasons. Anthony missed the playoffs for the first time in his 11-year NBA career.

Question: Do you think Anthony was snubbed? Which forward would you have voted him ahead of?
 2 years ago '04        #10937
space
space
Begley

Mark Jackson didn’t want to talk on Wednesday about his interest in the Knicks’ job. He didn’t want to say whether he’d been contacted by Knicks president Phil Jackson for the opening.

But the Brooklyn-born Jackson did have one clear message when it came to the Knicks’ head coaching vacancy, “Everybody’s not made for New York City,” Jackson, an ESPN analyst, said on a conference call to promote the NBA Finals.

Jackson expanded on his point.

“It’s something about the fans. It’s something about the pressure. It’s something about the media. So to be quite honest, everybody is not built for it," Jackson, the ex-Warriors coach, said.

"It’s a different animal. It’s a different monster and it takes a special personality and a person understanding the things that come into play to a ‘t.’ And I thought -– obviously I’m biased -– but I thought [fellow ESPN analyst] Jeff [Van Gundy] did an incredible job juggling all of them during his time as coach of the Knicks. But everybody’s not capable or qualified to do just that.”

Jackson also clearly stated that he wasn’t talking only about coaches.

“That’s whether you’re management, whether you’re playing, whether you’re coaching,” Jackson said. “I remember as a kid watching very good to great players play other places, be traded to the Knicks and not be the same type player. Whereas some propelled when they got the opportunity to put on a Knick uniform.”

Jackson’s views on performing in New York -– particularly as a head coach -– are relevant because Phil Jackson is the middle of a coaching search that may or may not include the former Knicks' and St. John's star.

ESPN.com’s Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne reported earlier this week that Phil Jackson hasn't fully ruled out a sit-down with Mark Jackson, a Knicks fan favorite who has rejoined ESPN as a broadcaster after his dismissal by the Warriors. But sources maintain that Phil Jackson wants to hire a young coach he can mold and mentor and who won't be put off by his hands-on presence early on.

Derek Fisher is considered to be a leading candidate at this time. Phil Jackson has yet to talk to Fisher but is expected to do so by the end of the week.

Jackson has also stated that he wants to hire a coach with whom he has a previous relationship.

“I like to have a relationship -- a prior relationship -- with a coach, so that we know that we’ve gone through some kinds of issues together, we’ve dealt with some type of battle situations, we’ve had conflicts, and we’ve had disagreements, and we know how to work things out,” Jackson said last week.

Mark Jackson and Phil Jackson do not have a prior relationship. Phil Jackson also has never worked with Van Gundy. That would appear to put both Jackson and Van Gundy at the bottom of the list of Knicks coaching candidates -– despite support from the team’s fan base for both coaches’ candidacies.

Mark Jackson, an ex-Knicks and St. John’s star, on Wednesday acknowledged that he’d heard the groundswell of support for his candidacy among some Knicks fans.

“Obviously you hear the talk,” said Jackson, who refuted a report that he would be hesitant to work with Phil Jackson. “... It’s an incredible job, it’s an incredible opportunity and I’m sure that Phil Jackson will do an outstanding job of finding the right coach to get that organization and get that team headed back in the right situation.”

Both men declined to say whether they were interested in the Knicks or Los Angeles Lakers openings.

"If the team’s ever want to state what their plans are before they name a coach, that’s up to them," Van Gundy, the ex-Knicks coach, said. "I think it’s best that I don’t get involved with that."

Question: Do you think Phil Jackson should speak to Mark Jackson or Jeff Van Gundy about the Knicks head coaching vacancy?
 2 years ago '04        #10938
space
space
Woj

New York Knicks president Phil Jackson and his top coaching candidate, Derek Fisher, talked briefly on the telephone Wednesday and plan to reconvene next week, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Jackson expressed his desire to engage Fisher in talks to become the Knicks coach, sources said. Fisher is expected to take the weekend to talk with his family and make a final decision about retiring from his 17-year NBA career in order to fully pursue coaching, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Fisher has been leaning strongly toward ending his playing career, and should that be his final decision, he's expected to move forward with more substantive talks with Jackson next week, sources said.

The NBA fined Jackson $25,000 for public comments about Fisher, a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder, during the Western Conference finals. NBA team officials aren't allowed to comment about their interest in hiring players or employees under contract elsewhere.

The Knicks' support system, centered on Jackson, is an attractive part of the job to Fisher. For all the allure of New York and Madison Square Garden, Fisher played parts of his 13 seasons with the Lakers, winning five championships under Jackson.

Jackson lost out on his original target, Steve Kerr, who accepted the job as the coach of the Golden State Warriors.
 2 years ago '04        #10939
space
space
Phil Jackson said if the team re-signs Carmelo Anthony, they can compete in the East in the 2014-15 season (Begley, June 5).

Jackson said for the Knicks — who don’t have a draft pick or cap room — it’s more about having a “refreshed attitude.”

“I think they call it a beginner mind,” the Knicks president said. “Needs a beginner mind to start over again. In the process to bond together, that’s what teams do that are successful and come back with ‘OK we can do this. We can collectively get ourselves back on the same page, same breath and same idea of selfless behavior, whatever our roles and get out there and play the game that’s competitive.’ There should be ample opportunity for this team to come back into competition next year.”

Keith Schlosser
Jackson hasn’t made any sudden personnel moves since becoming Knicks’ President, but perhaps that’s for the best. His mentality is on point. For this team, achieving success next season should come down to putting mind over matter.

Entering training camp last fall, one could argue that the Knicks actually did look better on paper than they did the season prior. The likes of Andrea Bargnani, Metta World Peace, Beno Udrih, and Tim Hardaway Jr. all appeared to be talent upgrades over some of the team’s departing players.

Having won 54 games and earned the team’s first Atlantic Division title in nearly two decades, the Knicks were only poised to continue building on such accomplishments.

Of course, looking good on paper isn’t everything, especially when a team removes respected veterans from a locker room. Nevertheless, the Knicks are still a talented bunch.

A new voice (in the form of a new coach under the guidance of Jackson) could undoubtedly be the difference maker here.

The talent is there. A new season will provide the Knicks with a fresh slate to put past struggles behind them. Without much cap space until 2015, the current squad needs to start believing in themselves again. It would certainly appear Jackson does.

Sam Spiegelman
Well, Jackson is right.

It’s easy to compete in the Eastern Conference. It has been since LeBron James was drafted by the Cavaliers.

The best teams include the Derrick Rose-led Bulls, James’ Heat team, Boston’s Big Three and the Detroit Pistons featuring ‘Sheed, Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince.

It today’s East, there are the Heat, which could (potentially) lose Bosh and/or James this summer. There’s Indiana, which could take a step back if they lose Lance Stephenson. There’s Chicago and the question if Rose returns back healthy and if they can add some offense in free agency.

So if ‘Melo returns to the Knicks, the team can easily compete. Jackson needs to upgrade at point guard, and I think that’s really a simple fix to the offense. It didn’t flow well through Raymond Felton last year, but when he was at his best in 2012-13, they were the East’s No. 2 seed. That’s a major difference.
 2 years ago '04        #10940
space
space
Berman

The Knicks and Oklahoma City could be linked by more than Derek Fisher’s coaching future.

As Fisher mulls his next career step, the Thunder are looking at trading at least one of their late first-round picks, and Knicks president Phil Jackson said he’s looking to obtain a pick for either round of the NBA Draft. The Post reported at February’s trade deadline Oklahoma City made an offer for Iman Shumpert, but the Knicks passed. ESPN.com reported the Thunder offered their 29th pick.

That was before Jackson came aboard, and talks surely will be staged between the two clubs. The Nets are also trying to obtain a late first-round or second-round pick, according to general manager Billy King.

Oklahoma City has the 21st and 29th picks. The 29th pick is considered to have the least bang for the buck, as it comes with a two-year guarantee at a set rate, as opposed to a player picked a few slots later, in the second round, who doesn’t receive guaranteed money.

The Knicks don’t want to clog up their 2015 cap space unless they are sure they’ll draft a can’t-miss rotation player. The 29th pick is slated to make $959,000 in 2015-16, which is modest for a top rotation player. The 21st pick would make $1.2 million.

“We have to figure out a way to find value in the draft,’’ Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti said Thursday on Oklahoma radio station 98.1 FM. “That could be moving off the picks entirely, combining them to move around, could be standing and selecting. I will say this draft is going to be pretty good. At the same time, when you draft a player, you also want to make sure there’s a relative pathway for them to have success and play.’’

The Knicks were set to trade Shumpert and Raymond Felton to the Clippers in a better offer than Oklahoma City’s, for Darren Collison and Matt Barnes, but the deal fell through when Shumpert injured his knee on the eve of the trade deadline. Collison will be a free agent.

Jackson is said to like Shumpert’s defensive prowess and height, but his offensive basketball IQ isn’t sky-high, and Shumpert is not a very good passer — two attributes needed in Jackson’s triangle offense.

The Knicks, a source confirmed, are expected to work out draft prospect P.J. Hairston, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard who was dismissed from North Carolina and played in the D-League last season. He’s projected in the 21-to-29 range.

Oklahoma City could also help the Knicks in free agency, as Thunder guards Thabo Sefolosha and Caron Butler are free agents. A lengthy defender, the 6-foot-7 Sefolosha had been the Thunder’s starting shooting guard for the last few years before losing his 3-point marksmanship and falling out of favor with coach Scott Brooks. The defensive specialist was benched for much of the playoffs.

During breakup day, Sefolosha said he had “no clue’’ if he’d be back. He’s known to love Fisher, who could be named the Knicks head coach as soon as next week. The Knicks have their $3.5 million mini-midlevel exception to spend, plus the veteran’s minimum. Their preference in free agency is at point guard (Steve Blake, Patty Mills), but Sefolosha and Butler could fit at the right price.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Might Be A Stripper But She's A Dime
27 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 1 - China To Trump: "Good Luck Bringing Jobs back To U.S."
59 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
183 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Steelers LB James Harrison Gets Hit With His 7th "Random" Drug Test This Y..
82 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
CAM'RON explains y he dont rock with that dirtbag JIM JONES anymore. Speaks on..
197 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 1 - woman knocked unconscious in Kroger baking aisle for asking ho..
135 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Alleged 72 hour Final Fantasy XV battle actually takes 50 minutes
55 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole ethers Lil Yatchy
273 comments
1 day ago