New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
54 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Personality Test: What Did You See First?
46 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Melo IG post to his boss Phil Jackson
65 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'
39 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 05-24-2014, 11:07 PM         #10901
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Spencer Hawes is a poor man's Kevin Love, I like him.

Get it done Phil.
 3 years ago '04        #10902
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,711 | Props total: 2231 2231
Berman

Carmelo Anthony staged a dinner meeting with his entourage Friday night to discuss his free-agent future, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Anthony, his Creative Artists Agency agent Leon Rose, and CAA advisor William Wesley were in the group of six at a well-known haunt on 28th Street called Pergola in a strategy session discussing their options. The source said the group sat in a private back room.

Anthony has kept an extremely low profile since the regular season ended in mid-April unlike past offseasons.

On April 29, Anthony met secretly for two hours at a Tribeca steakhouse with Knicks president Phil Jackson, who told him at the time Steve Kerr was going to be the new Knicks coach.

Things have changed significantly since Anthony and Jackson met. Kerr passed on Knicks after initially being lowballed on a three-year, $13.2 million offer. Kerr’s reluctance to sign allowed the Warriors to rejoin the fray after Kerr initially declined to interview with them.

Jackson is now back to square one and Anthony could have been getting updates on the Knicks coaching search which has been at a standstill. Jackson prefers Brian Shaw over Derek Fisher but it doesn’t appear the Nuggets would allow Shaw, who just completed his first season as their coach, to interview with the Knicks.

Jackson is waiting on Fisher’s season to end with the Oklahoma City Thunder. That could occur later this week.

That Jackson was unable to recruit his buddy Kerr had to be an alarming development for Anthony, considering Jackson’s primary presence is to be a recruiter for the 2015 free-agent class.

Jackson is not familiar with the CAA agency and has talked about ending the perception the superagency has undue influence on the Knicks. However, Knicks general manager Steve Mills and a.ssistant GM Allan Houston are close with Wesley.

Jackson, in no uncertain terms, said soon after the season he will need Anthony to take a pay cut — less than the maximum salary — to re-sign. That would give the Knicks greater flexibility in adding to the roster in 2015.

It was Anthony’s original suggestion he would take less than the maximum, but Jackson’s comments raised eyebrows. However, it is believed Anthony was not offended.

“I like to appeal to his better nature of winning,’’ Jackson told reporters in late April. “There’s some obvious examples that everyone can point to.’’

Jackson referred to the Miami trio of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh and San Antonio’s Tim Duncan. “A precedent has been set,’’ Jackson said.

Anthony’s potential decision to re-sign with the Knicks may be by default. Two of his prime candidates, Houston and Chicago, still have to get far enough under the salary cap to make it worth it for Anthony. The Bulls may have to rid themselves of Mike Dunleavy, Carlos Boozer and Taj Gibson on a squad that was knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. Plus, Anthony would be banking on the uncertain future of the oft-injured Derrick Rose.

The Rockets were also knocked out in the first round and need to get rid of Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik to get under the salary cap. Meanwhile, the Lakers have cap space but sources maintain they aren’t too interested in Anthony as a fit with Kobe Bryant. Nor is Lakers president Jeanie Buss enthralled with stealing Anthony from Jackson, her fiancé.

Dallas is also said to be interested in Anthony but also has to get under the salary cap. The Knicks still remain strong favorites, even if Jackson isn’t off to a sizzling start.
 3 years ago '04        #10903
space
space
Begley

The name of one somewhat surprising New York Knicks player keeps coming in conversations around the league as the draft and free agency draw near.

Combo guard Toure' Murry, coming off his rookie season, is said to be on the radar of a handful of teams -- Chicago and Golden State among them -- that are hoping the shift in power in New York from the Knicks' previous administration to Phil Jackson leads to Murry becoming an unrestricted free agent.

ESPNNewYork.com reported last week that the Brooklyn Nets also have interest in Murry.

The Knicks can make Murry a restricted free agent and obviously increase their chances of keeping him by extending the Wichita State product a qualifying offer before June 29. In that scenario, New York could match any offer Murry received in free agency.

But if they decline to extend Murry a qualifying offer, he'll become an unrestricted free agent.

At 6-foot-5, Murry would figure to appeal to Jackson, who has always favored big guards not only in his triangle offense but for the physicality they can bring to the position.

Murry, 24, averaged a mere 2.7 points and 1.0 a.ssists in 7.3 minutes per game last season but showed a glimpse of what he can do in the season's final two games, scoring 12.5 points per game and handing out 3.5 a.ssists in 25.5 minutes in those appearances.
 3 years ago '07        #10904
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,384 | Props total: 277 277
Murry is the best pg on the team hope they don't trade him, has potential.

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 217 (-134) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 3 years ago '07        #10905
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,892 | Props total: 181 181
 Funeral James said:
exatly... he's a rookie but if Avery Bradley can get a shot, so can Toure'
 3 years ago '04        #10906
space
space
Begley

The Knicks’ top priority this summer, as we all know, is to re-sign Carmelo Anthony.

If they fail to do so, Phil Jackson & Co. will likely use the summer of 2015 to rebuild with a stockpile of cash to spend on free agents and a first-round draft pick.

One of their targets in 2015 could be Timberwolves forward Kevin Love.

So here’s a hypothetical for you: How would a Knicks team built around Love compare with a team built around Melo?

One writer sees Love as the better building block.

ESPN NBA Insider Bradford Doolittle makes the case here that Love is a better fit for the Chicago Bulls than Anthony. In doing so, he surmises that Love is the better player to build around.

As Doolittle points out, this is a classic sports debate, and one that doesn’t have much relevance in future projections for the Knicks.

For one, losing out on Anthony this summer will be seen as a setback for many reasons, so it’s impossible to judge that development through the prism of “Love vs. Melo.”

Also, the Knicks will have plenty of competition for Love in 2015 -- with or without Melo. So the question of “who’s better” isn’t likely to be pertinent to the Knicks.

Still, on a macro level, it’s an interesting premise for Knicks fans to consider.

Here are some of the points Doolittle makes to support his argument:

Doolittle argues that Love is already a better player than Anthony based on the WARP statistic, which measures how much value a player adds when compared to a player who would replace him (generally a second-unit player). And he argues that Love, if healthy, will be a better long-term investment because he is a full four years younger than Anthony.

Writes Doolittle:

Over the past three seasons, Love has a 39.2 to 33.6 edge in WARP over Anthony even though he missed 64 games in 2012-13. Love's winning percentage -- the per-possession component of WARP -- was over .700 for the third time in four years. Anthony's .643 mark last season was the best he's ever done. Both are high volume players, but Love is a more efficient shooter, draws more fouls, hands out more a.ssists and, even after accounting for position, he laps Anthony in terms of board work. Neither is a great defender, but at the bottom line, Love's Real Plus-Minus of plus-5.10 is elite, while Anthony's plus-2.73 is merely very good.
 3 years ago '04        #10907
space
space
Begley

Phil Jackson is considering several factors as he searches for the Knicks' next coach.

Age is one; Phil would prefer a young coach over a retread.

Offensive philosophy is another; Phil is believed to be searching for someone with a strong knowledge of the triangle.

But there’s another factor Phil may be considering during his coaching search: Carmelo Anthony's free agency.

Anthony is expected to opt out of the final season of his contract and test free agency this summer. The Knicks can pay him $33 million more than any other suitor. But Anthony has said his top priority is competing for an NBA title. So the Knicks’ next coach -- whomever he is -- will likely factor in Anthony’s decision.

We haven’t heard from Anthony since shortly after the regular season. So we don’t know how he felt about Mike Woodson's firing or the failed Steve Kerr courtship. And we haven’t yet heard his thoughts on Derek Fisher, the odds-on favorite to land the Knicks job.

But here's what we do know: One source familiar with Anthony’s thinking on the matter said recently that the star forward would “embrace” the opportunity to play for Mark Jackson.

In no way, the source stressed, does that mean Anthony wants to play only for Mark Jackson. It also doesn’t mean he would be uncomfortable playing for Fisher or any other candidate Jackson chooses to hire.

But he would be content with the idea of playing for Jackson, who led Golden State to back-to-back playoff appearances.

In talking to people around the NBA about Jackson and the Knicks, one point that’s been made again and again is the idea that Jackson would handle the Knicks’ locker room well.

The Knicks are coming off a 37-win season in which players at times questioned the coaching staff's approach. Some players also questioned their teammates' commitment to winning. Jackson gained a tremendous amount of respect from the players in the Warriors' locker room, many of whom publicly questioned the treatment of their coach while his job was in jeopardy.

So what does that mean for Jackson's candidacy for the Knicks job? Not much, it appears.

There has been no indication Phil Jackson has any plans to interview Mark Jackson at this point. ESPN.com’s Ramona Shelburne and Marc Stein reported this month that the Zen Master would be "open" to talking to the ex-Warriors coach about the job, but it is unknown if there has been any contact between them yet.

Jackson would like to hire someone he can mold, similar to the path Pat Riley took with Erik Spoelstra in Miami. He’d also like someone with a strong knowledge of the triangle offense. Mark Jackson doesn’t fit either of those categories.

But if Phil Jackson is taking Anthony’s free agency into account while searching for the next Knicks coach, should he take a stronger look at Mark Jackson?

Question: Do you think Phil Jackson should consider Mark Jackson as the Knicks' next head coach? Should Phil, while searching for his coach, take into account whom Carmelo would be comfortable playing for?

Happy B-Day: Thursday is Anthony's 30th birthday. Anthony needs just 42 points to reach the 20,000-point plateau. In NBA history, only LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan scored more points before their 30th birthday, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. ... The Knicks and Bucks will play in London at the O2 on Jan. 15, the NBA announced Thursday. The game is part of NBA Global Games for the 2014-15 season. The Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves will play at the Mexico City Arena on Nov. 12.
 3 years ago '04        #10908
space
space
Berman

Phil Jackson said Steve Kerr had given him “a commitment’’ to coach the Knicks and he had to “release’’ Kerr to take the Warriors’ job.

Jackson, in a meeting with the Knicks beat writers on Friday, said it was a verbal commitment, but indicated contracts were being drawn up. Jackson acknowledged Kerr ultimately made the right choice, though it has left Jackson in the lurch, waiting to speak to top candidate Derek Fisher after he finishes up his playoff run with Oklahoma City.

“For Steve, his family is really important,’’ Jackson said. “Unfortunately for him, he committed to me the day before the job opened with Golden State. I had to kind of release him to go to this job. You have to do what’s right for yourself. I understand entirely. We’re happy for him.’’

Jackson likely was speaking in generalities on the timing of Kerr backing out. Kerr initially rebuffed the Warriors on their attempt to interview him, according to Golden State GM Bob Meyers, because they told Kerr it could be a protracted search. But once Golden State was rebuffed by Stan Van Gundy, the Warriors went back to Kerr and gave him a firm offer. An NBA source told The Post the offer he accepted was for five years and $22 million. The Knicks’ initial offer was for three years and $13.2 million — the same $4.4 million per year.

Jackson said the amount of their initial offer wasn’t a factor in Kerr’s decision to renege.

“There’s plenty of things in the contract that if he came, he would’ve been very satisfied,’’ Jackson said. “That wasn’t the issue.’’

Jackson admitted a conversation with Kerr a year ago came back to haunt him. Jackson was involved with the group that wanted to move the Sacramento Kings franchise to Seattle. Jackson reached out to Kerr as a potential coach, and Kerr told him during their talks that Golden State would be the best team to run the triangle offense because of their shooters and passing big men.

“To be perfectly honest with you, it’s a better job for him,’’ Jackson said. “He’s a California guy and they have a group of guys who are formed, been in the playoffs, been there and have a good, good operating team right now. We’re still a team that didn’t make the playoffs and have to put together a roster. Not saying we have to rebuild, but build a competitive team.’’

Jackson, who won 11 titles coaching the Bulls and Lakers, said he still would like to hire a coach he’s familiar with from his past.

“I have a big circle,’’ Jackson said. “I like to have a prior relationship with a coach. We’ve gone through some kind of issues together. We’ve dealt with battle situations. We’ve had conflicts and disagreements and know how to work things out. That’s part and parcel of having a relationship with people that can work together and still disagree and come to terms.’’

Jackson referenced Fisher and Denver coach Brian Shaw, whom The Post has reported Jackson prefers. However, he’s realizes he’s not going to get him.

“I’ve had a series of interviews with people,’’ Jackson said. “Have not talked to Derek Fisher or Brian Shaw. Brian’s under contract with Denver. Denver has everything we owned the last few years. There’s nothing else I want to give them. Brian’s a well-respected guy, but he’s under contract.’’

Jackson has interviewed Mike Dunleavy, but it’s unclear whether he has spoken to Mark Jackson. A person in Mark Jackson’s inner circle said he is leery of working in a situation where the president has great influence on the coaching.
 3 years ago '04        #10909
space
space
Berman

Knicks president Phil Jackson said he’s tried to convince Carmelo Anthony to opt into his contract, forgoing free agency for another year, and reports Anthony said he is mulling it.

In a 45-minute meeting with beat writers at the Tarrytown facility, Jackson also said Derek Fisher is on his list of coaching candidates, but he is not sure Fisher is ready to move from LA to New York. Jackson added Steve Kerr, the previous front-runner for the job, gave him a verbal “commitment’’ before the Warriors job opened.

During his late-April dinner with Anthony, Jackson suggested the scenario of opting in, rather than becoming a free agent July 1 as expected. According to an NBA source, Anthony has until June 23 to inform the Knicks if he’s opting in. Jackson said he still could offer Anthony an extension after an opt-in under CBA rules.

“I’ve told him it might be a good idea to hang in here and see what it’s like for a year,’’ Jackson said. “Go out the next year. That’s his option. That’s what he’s earned. It’s part of his contractual agreement. I just offered that this gives you an opportunity to see how this is going to change, how we’re going to get it going.

“He thought about it. He said, ‘I’ll think about it.’”

Jackson admitted he is worried that another team could swoop in and spoil the Knicks’ plans with Anthony if he becomes a free agent.

“I’m not losing sleep over it, but I’m definitely concerned about the idea of a guy going into free agency,” Jackson said. “It only takes one bidder out there who has availability who can ruin your hopes and chances. We will survive it. That’s what I said and we’ll go forward. This a guy we recognize has the talent and skill that gets you through playoff game when things get sticky and grind-out. You need a guy capable of scoring with someone hanging on him in a situation that’s critical, and he’s one of the few players who can do that.’’

The dialogue between Jackson and Anthony also has touched upon the Knicks’ next coach.

“We have a communication that’s going on, and I like it,’’ Jackson said. “I like the direction. Unfortunately I told him Steve Kerr was going to coach the team and had to back off that. We haven’t talked about coaches since.’’

Jackson said he will talk to Fisher after the veteran guard’s playoff run with the Oklahoma City Thunder ends.

“The last two summers Derek and I have talked about the next step in his career and he’s gone back to playing,’’ Jackson said. “I kind of know what he wants to do and his feelings. He’s got a family in LA. He’s got little kids in LA. I have no idea if he wants to move his family and come here. There’s so many unknowns. He’s definitely a person on my list who could be very good candidate for this job.

“He was a lead guard who has a vision and real good concept of the game and liked doing the drill and skill work necessary to hold guys to premises of execution,’’ Jackson added.

In regards to Kerr, Jackson conceded the Warriors’ position may be a better situation for Kerr. He said he spoke with Kerr last year, ironically, about how the triangle offense would work best with the Golden State roster.

Jackson explained why he hasn’t asked the Nuggets for permission to speak to their coach, Brian Shaw.

“I saw [Denver President Josh] Kroenke made a statement they’re not willing to let Brian Shaw go — I respect that,” Jackson said. “It’s intrusive to approach another organization to ask for their coach. If you’re asking to speak to an a.ssistant coach or moving up from scout to personnel director, organizations respect that. I would feel badly for someone to ask to speak to my coach.”

Jackson said he’s still unwilling to coach despite suggestions from the organization because of his physical inability.
 3 years ago '11        #10910
imtheman718 21 heat pts21
space
space
$3,694 | Props total: 249 249
 Funeral James said:
That n*gga could barley get the ball across mid court. He's a third string at best. I'd rather we gat a vet.
 3 years ago '07        #10911
space
space
 imtheman718 said:
That n*gga could barley get the ball across mid court. He's a third string at best. I'd rather we gat a vet.
Its hard to develop a young player when he gets no burn and he has bums gettin playin time over him

Lets be real hes better than felton and priggy

Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 3 years ago '11        #10912
imtheman718 21 heat pts21
space
space
$3,694 | Props total: 249 249
 Funeral James said:
Its hard to develop a young player when he gets no burn and he has bums gettin playin time over him

In what ways is he better than priggy?
 3 years ago '04        #10913
space
space
Berman

OKLAHOMA CITY — If there’s one player who can make the transition to head coach without any coaching experience, it is Derek Fisher.

So says former Knicks coach Hubie Brown, who is in Oklahoma City calling the national radio broadcast of Game 6 of the Spurs-Thunder Western Conference finals Saturday night. It could be Fisher’s final game as a player before he vaults into the Knicks coaching derby as Phil Jackson’s front-runner, after Steve Kerr backed out of his verbal agreement. Fisher, 39, likely will be courted by the Lakers, too.

Brown said with Fisher, “You’re not dealing with a typical basketball player,” citing his career as longtime president of the Players a.ssociation, and called the veteran point guard “the total package.”

“He was the 24th pick in the first round — same year as Kobe Bryant,’’ Brown told The Post. “They bonded and formed a great backcourt in winning a lot of championships. Most important is, the players who played with him in L.A. will always tell you how he is a terrific talker in the locker room to the entire group. And everyone backs it up through the year.

“He eventually moves to the Players a.ssociation where he becomes the president. You’re not dealing with a typical basketball player. You’re dealing with a guy with great intelligence. And he displays leadership with a team that won championships where he was not a star player — just a guy who made the chemistry go and then had leadership in the union.

“I would say if you are going to take a guy who has never coached before, you’re at least taking a guy who players have listened to. That’s big now. That means under crisis when coaches aren’t there, you can control a room of high-rated players that are discussing k!lling a coach. He can control it.”

Fisher spoke with Brown at the Thunder practice facility at the morning shootaround Saturday but declined to talk to reporters because he didn’t want the distraction. Earlier in the series, Fisher said he was “humbled” and “flattered” by being mentioned as a Knicks coaching candidate. Jackson confirmed Friday he “definitely’’ will speak with Fisher but added there are “lots of unknowns” on whether Fisher will take the job, referring to his young children in L.A.

Asked if he thought Fisher could handle New York, where he spent much of the lockout in negotiations, Brown said, “New York is unique because of the six dailies [newspapers] that have guys covering the team. The pressure is on you not only from the dailies and all the radio shows and because the city loves the game and always has loved the game.

“They want everything. They want the chemistry to be perfect. They want the players to play to the utmost potential. If that doesn’t happen and they’re losing and they don’t see the chemistry and don’t see the coaching the level they expected, they’re going to be criticized.’’

“Any player that has never been in a city where they have witnessed anything close to this could possibly be in for a shock. But he’s been in L.A. and in the limelight and all the big games.

Most of all he’s been a strong voice with the team at that level. That is critical.”

Brown, whose son Brendan works for the Knicks as their radio color commentator, wouldn’t predict if Fisher will take the job but said he feels Fisher is qualified.

“Through the years he has proven it — at the union where he made tough decisions there and with the Lakers at their best when he was there,’’ Brown said.

“Every single team he’s played with got better and young players listened to him. He doesn’t waste words. He’s direct, to the point and he’s educational. He is the total package. Whether he wants to be a basketball coach, I don’t know. Whether he wants to take on New York City, who knows? Only he and his family can answer that.’’
 3 years ago '07        #10914
space
space
 imtheman718 said:
In what ways is he better than priggy?
Potentially I think he's the better option.

Priggy and Felton should be considered vets they turn the ball over a lot and make bad decisions he plays like a shooting guard in my opinion

05-31-2014, 07:47 PM         #10915
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Funeral James said:

3 years ago '07        #10916
space
space
 Kitsch said:

[pic - click to view]

05-31-2014, 08:43 PM         #10917
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Funeral James said:

[pic - click to view]

05-31-2014, 10:39 PM         #10918
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

3 years ago '04        #10919
space
space
Berman

Carmelo Anthony turned 30 on Thursday, got a new Corvette Stingray from his wife, LaLa, and is now spending his birthday week in the Bahamas. Online photos show Anthony driving a jet ski through the blue waters with his son, Kiyan. Another has the Anthony family dressed up in native headdresses at a Caribbean festival.

His buddy LeBron James will spend much of June working the NBA Finals for the fourth straight season.

Anthony and James each have opt-out clauses in their contracts that could make them free agents July 1. James never talked about it this season. Anthony never stopped talking about it this season.

Perhaps if Anthony knows James will opt in, Anthony will, too. Knicks president Phil Jackson is attempting to convince Anthony just that in the latest twist revealed Friday. The Post reported Anthony has until June 23 to decide.

Anthony has a lot to think about — at a career crossroads at age 30. Knicks officials, from the coaching staff on up, have spent the past year whispering in his ear, trying to persuade him into re-signing as a July free agent.

Jackson has taken on more of a tough-love approach. First, the Zen Master proclaimed Anthony should consider taking a paycut to stay a Knick and give them 2015 flexibility to add two prominent free agents.

Then the Jackson topped that Friday in revealing his desire for Anthony to delay free agency a year, so he can make a more educated decision as Jackson changes the Knicks’ culture. If anything, it will give the two a chance to get to know each other better instead of agreeing on a shotgun marriage.

Jackson said the club “will survive” if Anthony becomes a free agent and bolts. If you want to parse Jackson’s remarks and conclude he wants him to leave, guess again.

Jackson wants Anthony to stay, but on his terms. He doesn’t want “Melo the Brand,” he wants “Melo the Consummate Team Basketball Player’’ — something he hasn’t been in 11 seasons, evidenced by just one trip to the conference finals. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant were not consummate team players until Jackson arrived either.

When Jackson talks of Anthony, he doesn’t call him “a superstar,’’ he just spells out the nuts and bolts he does to win games. Friday, in his 40-minute meeting with reporters in which cameras were not permitted, Jackson said of Anthony: “This a guy we recognize has the talent and skill that gets you through playoff games when things get sticky and grind-out. You need a guy capable of scoring with someone hanging on him in a situation that’s critical, and he’s one of the few players who can do that.’’

Anthony has not been a mature enough leader during his career. His constant chatter about his opt-out clause began in training camp and he never had the instincts as a good teammate to end the talk. Nobody in the locker room cared to hear the free-agent ramblings coming out of Anthony’s mouth with the club coming off a 54-28 record and second seed in 2012-13.

James? He made it clear early he wouldn’t talk about free agency and made good on that promise, among others. Even after Cleveland won the lottery last week, James shut down speculation on his Ohio return by saying he couldn’t care less about draft lotteries now.

Whatever the reasons Jackson has for asking Anthony to delay free agency — it will give the franchise a better idea on what kind of paycut he would need to take — Anthony should listen and take out an insurance policy. It’s not as if interested parties Chicago and Houston, knocked out in Round 1, are banging on the championship door.

If Anthony listens to Jackson on this one, it will be the most significant sign Anthony means what he says, that he cares more about competing for a title than the contract. After all, Jackson may be the best 30th birthday present Anthony has ever gotten.
 3 years ago '04        #10920
space
space
Berman

OKLAHOMA CITY — Derek Fisher’s playing career likely ended Saturday night with the Thunder’s ouster from the NBA playoffs, and perhaps a new career will begin soon in New York.

But Fisher said he had too much respect for his teammates to talk about the Knicks’ coaching job, adding the “wound is too raw’’ and he’ll need a couple of days.

But Fisher said it won’t take long to make up his mind on retirement.

“There are a number of people who will be impacted by the decision I do make,’’ Fisher said. “Whether I continue to play or do something else within the game, there’s a lot at stake.’’

If it was his last game, the 39-year-old went out in style, showing the stamina of a young player. He played the final 21:47 of the Thunder’s 112-107 overtime loss to the Spurs in the Western Conference finals. The Thunder still hope he comes back, possibly as a player/assistant coach, but that seems doubtful.

Fisher will be pursued by Knicks president Phil Jackson and likely by the Lakers, his former team with which he won five titles with the Zen Master.

“I can’t go there tonight,’’ Fisher said in the dead quiet of the Thunder locker room. “It’s too fresh of a wound. It’s possible this truly symbolizes the end of a very long career. I don’t think [with] the emotions I’m feeling now it’s smart to bet on what I’m going to do next. I’m definitely going to take it seriously and consider my options, consider what’s best and go from there. There’s a right way to wrap this season up and show it the proper respect.’’

Fisher will have his exit meeting with Thunder coach Scott Brooks on Sunday and realizes the Knicks are waiting on him.

“I’ll try to [do] that as soon as possible for all parties involved and can make the decisions that need to be made,’’ Fisher said. “Interview is a strong word at this point. I haven’t had any direct conversations with any executives — Phil Jackson, the Lakers. I think interview is a strong word. There’ll be conversations at some point. This is still pretty raw and fresh — at least for the next day or two.

“I want to respect whatever my future holds and the guys in this locker room and organization that gave me the opportunity the last two seasons. My career could’ve been over two seasons ago and they took a bet on me.’’

Jackson confirmed Friday he “definitely’’ will speak with Fisher, but added there are “lots of unknowns” on whether Fisher will take the job, referring to the veteran point guard’s young children in Los Angeles.

Brooks went heavy with Fisher Saturday as he played a three-guard smallball lineup.

The Spurs prevailed in overtime despite a Fisher-inspired fourth-quarter comeback from 12 points down.

The 6-footer played his series-high 32 minutes. He was the last one to leave the court. He was hugged at the buzzer. immediately by the Spurs’ Danny Green, a native of North Babylon, L.I., then by Tim Duncan.

Fisher was constantly matched against much bigger players in the final period, having to defend Boris Diaw, Duncan and Manu Ginobili, but he was scrappy to the end. He dove to the floor to save a possession in overtime, sliding out of bounds and into a front-row patron. The kind of scrappiness that could make him a great coach.

As for being the last one to leave the court and meet the media more than an hour after the buzzer, Fisher said: “It’s understanding the moment that it’s possible it could be the last time I walk off the court as a player. It’s mixed emotions. It’s going to hurt.’’

Former Knicks coach Hubie Brown, on hand for the radio broadcast of Game 6, said of Fisher: “You’re not dealing with a typical basketball player.” Brown cited Fisher’s career as longtime president of the Players a.ssociation, and called him “the total package.”
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
47 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
175 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy Tricked By Tr@nny - Cringe Video
244 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
57 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Trevor Noah Spittin Real on The Breakfast Club
75 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside YouTube superstar PewDiePie vows to DELETE his channel once he hits 50m..
65 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Keep it 100: Would you jump in this 3some
72 comments
24 hours ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy