Image(s) inside A Boogie says he respects Lil B for forgiving him
60 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA D. Wade Is Giving J.R. His Spot Back
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Eric Bledsoe hair-salon claim about tweet was unbe..
34 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '04        #10701
Born_Loser|M 98 heat pts98
space
space
$42,106 | Props total: 3535 3535
Peter Botte

BOSTON – Carmelo Anthony said the Knicks told him in recent days that Phil Jackson indeed will be joining their front office, and the pending free agent spoke highly of the Hall of Fame coach before Wednesday’s game against the Celtics.

“I still don’t have a lot of the details, all the details. Have I heard? Yeah, I heard he will be coming on board, not official yet,” Anthony said. “You can always use Phil Jackson inside an organization, his philosophy, his mindset, his resume, what he brings to a team, what he brings to an organization. That goes without even saying, so we’ll see how that plays out.

“You can’t take for granted what he knows about the game of basketball, whether he’s on the sideline or in the front office. I’m sure he will try to his best to do what he has to do to try to build a championship team. He knows how to put guys together, put a team together. We’ll see what happens, but I haven’t talked to him, haven’t talked to anyone about the front office about their plans or anything like that.”

The seven-time All-Star did added that Jackson – who won 11 NBA titles as a coach with Bulls and the Lakers, and two more as a player with the Knicks in the 1970s – is “definitely going to be (joining) the front office, not coaching, so that’s a big difference.”

Anthony also said the Zen Master’s pending return to the organization won’t greatly impact his decision to re-sign with the Knicks as a free agent this summer.

“I don’t think it’ll have any effect on me, just as far as what I’m thinking or my decision or anything like that,” Anthony said. “Like I said, I haven’t talked to Phil yet, just to get his insight on a lot of things, what’s his plan, what’s his future plan, because everything’s in his hands now.”

Meanwhile in Los Angeles, Jeanie Buss, Jackson’s finacee and the Executive VP of Business Operations for the Lakers, told the Daily News, “I don’t comment on another team’s business. It's not appropriate for me to talk about that.”

Buss, wearing a sweatshirt with NEW YORK across the front while walking her diabetic 11-year old Maltese in a stroller outside her house, said “of course, I wouldn’t stop” Jackson if we went to the Knicks. “It’s his decision to make. They have to make ... He’s a popular guy.”

Buss laughed when it was suggested the sweatshirt was a sign of where Jackson was heading.

“It’s my favorite sweatshirt. No, it’s not my business to comment on this.”
 4 years ago '04        #10702
space
space
Berman

BOSTON — Carmelo Anthony confirmed Phil Jackson will be joining the Knicks imminently and said Jackson’s “insight and knowledge’’ will be a benefit to the franchise.

The Post reported in Wednesday’s editions Jackson has an agreement in principle to lead the Knicks’ basketball operations with the title of president — with the last details of the pact being finalized by lawyers.However, Anthony stopped short of saying Jackson’s hiring will keep him in a Knicks uniform. They have never spoken before, and Anthony — who is set to become a free agent after the season — is waiting to hear Jackson’s plan for the franchise.

“I still don’t have all the details,’’ Anthony said at TD North Garden on Wednesday morning as the Knicks prepared to face the Celtics. “I heard he will be coming aboard. It’s not official yet. You can always use Phil Jackson’s insight on whatever. His philosophy. His mindset. His resume, what he brings to a team, organization, that goes without even saying.’’

Melo added: “You can’t take for granted what he knows about basketball, whether he’s on the sideline or in the front office. I’m pretty sure he’ll try his best to do what he has to do to build a championship here, a championship team, put guys together. He knows how to put guys together, a team together.

“It’s different that’s it the front office and not coaching,’’ Anthony continued. “It’s a big difference. We’ll see how it plays out.’’

Asked if they have ever had a conversation, Anthony said, “I’ve never once talked to Phil Jackson since I’ve been in the NBA.’’

Anthony said he wants to know Jackson’s reloading plan. Anthony sounded ambivalent when asked Saturday about Jackson, saying the front office hadn’t debriefed him and he thought the hiring could wait until after the season. Anthony said this morning Knicks brass finally told him two days ago.

“I don’t think it’ll have an effect on me as far what I’m thinking,’’ Anthony said. “I haven’t talked to Phil yet just to get his insight on a lot of things, what’s his plan, what’s his future plan.

“I don’t want to jump the gun as far as being consulted. They have to do what they have to do in the front office and make the moves. They brought it to me a couple of days ago. It wasn’t something [where] it was do or die based on my decision. Them guys were going to make the decision regardless of what I said. I kind of let the guys handle the situation, and I focus on basketball and hope and pray we all do the right thing to try to build a team here.’’

Anthony repeated he didn’t have specifics on how much Jackson will be around the players.

“I don’t know exactly what his role will be,’’ Anthony said. ‘But I’m pretty sure anytime Phil Jackson is involved, he’ll be heavily involved, whether on the bench or in the front office. The knowledge will still be there, sitting on bench, sitting in front office. That’s never going to change.”

Anthony saw a lot of Jackson when he was a member of the Nuggets.

“The only thing I know is playing against him when he was out in L.A.,’’ Anthony said. “You could just see the teams put together and how much confidence he gave them guys out there — what he was able to create.’’

Tyson Chandler (personal reasons) and Amar’e Stoudemire (recovery) will miss Wednesday’s game, and Cole Aldrich will get the start.
 4 years ago '04        #10703
space
space
ESPN

Carmelo Anthony doesn't think Phil Jackson's presence will have an impact on his free agency, according to multiple reports.

"I don't think it'll have any effect on me, just as far as what I'm thinking or my decision or anything like that," Anthony said after the New York Knicks' shootaround in Boston on Wednesday morning. "Like I said, I haven't talked to Phil yet, just to get his insight on a lot of things, what's his plan, what's his future plan, because everything's in his hands now."

Anthony said the Knicks told him earlier this week that Jackson would be joining the team's front office.

Jackson and the Knicks are expected to finalize a deal that will give the legendary coach control of the club's front office by the end of this week, a league source previously told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

"Everything is pretty much done," the source told Broussard. "There are just some little things here and there that need to be worked out, but the Knicks are very confident that this is essentially done."

An official announcement might not come until next week, the source said.

Anthony said on Wednesday that the Knicks will benefit from Jackson's presence. Jackson, 68, is expected to serve as president of basketball operations.

"I still don't have a lot of the details, all the details. Have I heard? Yeah, I heard he will be coming on board, not official yet," Anthony said.

"You can always use Phil Jackson inside an organization, his philosophy, his mindset, his resume, what he brings to a team, what he brings to an organization. That goes without even saying, so we'll see how that plays out.

"You can't take for granted what he knows about the game of basketball, whether he's on the sideline or in the front office."

Jackson won 11 NBA titles as a coach and two as a Knicks forward.

"I'm sure he will try to his best to do what he has to do to try to build a championship team," Anthony said. "He knows how to put guys together, put a team together. We'll see what happens, but I haven't talked to him, haven't talked to anyone about the front office about their plans or anything like that."

Anthony plans to opt out of the final year of his contract and test free agency this summer. He can sign a max contract worth $129 million over five years with the Knicks. With another team, Anthony can ink a deal worth four years and $96 million.

He has said that his top priority is to re-sign with the Knicks, but he wants to hear the front office's plan for building a championship contender around him before making a decision.

He's also said that he's open to signing a contract worth less than maximum money if it helps the team that he signs with -- whether it's the Knicks or another team -- pursue other free agents.
 4 years ago '04        #10704
space
space
it's a new day
 4 years ago '04        #10705
space
space
Andrew Perna

The New York Knicks won their fifth straight game on Wednesday night, defeating the Boston Celtics 116-92 at TD Garden. The streak has put them at 26-40, the closest they’ve been to .500 since a Feb. 22 loss to the Atlanta Hawks. The Knicks moved to within three games of those Hawks for the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference with the victory.

A win is a win, but it’s worth noting that the Knicks haven’t faced the toughest competition during their weeklong streak. The Minnesota Timberwolves, who they topped to end a seven-game losing skid on March 5, are the only club among the five that have a winning record.

"Regardless of who we play, we are just taking it one game at a time," Carmelo Anthony said after the win in Boston. "These are the teams we have to play on the schedule, we don’t control that. The only thing we can control is whether we win or not.”

Anthony pointed to the team’s 118-106 win over the Timberwolves as a turning point. The Knicks have an average margin of victory of 16.6 points during the five-game streak.

"[Our] confidence and mindset right now is a lot different than it was before," Anthony said. "When you’re losing games, you trying to search to figure out what’s going on, what’s happening. Nobody really knows the reason, exactly what’s the reason you’re losing games. Now guys are just playing ball. It took that one game in Minnesota to get us back to playing the way we want to."

Anthony has played well over the five-game surge, averaging 28.8 points, 6.8 rebounds, 4.8 a.ssists and two steals per game, but those numbers are down what he was producing during New York’s recent seven-game slid -- 32 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.8 a.ssists on 48.2 percent shooting.

"Throughout the season you have your ups-and-downs," explained Anthony. “We've had more downs than ups this season, but right now it seems like we are playing great basketball. On the defensive end, guys are trustworthy and we are helping each other out. Offensively, everything seems to be in sync."

Anthony spoke with the media just minutes before news broke that the Knicks had agreed to terms with Phil Jackson to run the front office. Anthony maintained that while players can’t avoid the endless rumors and reports that surround them, they let those in charge make the decisions.

"We don’t really look at that as a distraction," he explained. "We hear a lot and we read it, we see it, there’s no way to get away from it. There’s no way to hide from it. We're just focused on playing basketball. We leave that to Mr. Dolan, Steve Mills and those guys to do their job and we do ours. That’s not something for us to worry about."
 4 years ago '07        #10706
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,616 | Props total: 1801 1801
we out cheaaaaaaa
 4 years ago '04        #10707
space
space
Berman

Mike Woodson wants a chance to state his case to Phil Jackson why he should remain the Knicks coach. He could get his chance as early as Tuesday.

The Knicks are making preliminary arrangements to hold their Phil Jackson introductory press conference Tuesday on the Garden floor, according to an NBA source.

While the Knicks are on a late playoff push, Jackson’s first major order of business will be deciding on a coach. Thursday, Woodson said on his ESPN Radio appearance he hopes Jackson doesn’t look at him as simply a babysitter and gives him full consideration to finish the final year of his contract in 2014-15.

“I would want him to view me as a coach,’’ Woodson said. “If and when that time comes, I would just love the chance to sit with him and talk basketball. He’s a basketball guy, I’m a basketball guy. This is 30 years I’ve spent in this league so that’s what we’ll do, but until that happens my focus is strictly on trying to get this team in the playoffs. That’s it.’’

Working in Woodson’s favor is their mutual admiration for former Knicks legendary coach Red Holzman, who coached both of them. When Woodson first joined the Knicks as a defensive a.ssistant, he sang the praises of Holzman, who drafted Woodson.

Woodson wouldn’t say how much he’s been debriefed about the Jackson hiring.

“We know it’s out there and like I said I’ve got a great deal of respect for Phil and if the Knicks decide to go that route I think he can’t do nothing but enhance the organization,’’ Woodson said.

It’s possible the Knicks won’t officially announce the hiring of Jackson, who will have the title of team president, until Monday.

Though Jackson and the Knicks have reached an agreement in principle, the Garden has continued to issue no comments. It is believed the contracts have not been signed.

One belief on why the Knicks didn’t rush a press conference is because the Big East Tournament is being held there through Saturday at the Garden and the Rangers play at home on Sunday.

It is expected Knicks owner James Dolan will look to invite some of Jackson’s former Knicks teammates on the club’s two championship teams, including Bill Bradley and Willis Reed, to Tuesday’s ceremony. In April, the 1973 Knicks title team was honored during a 40-year anniversary ceremony, which Jackson attended.

Jackson is expected to want to bring in his own coach who knows the triangle offense well. However, despite his record 11 coaching titles, he has a short coaching tree, unlike Pat Riley or even Jeff Van Gundy. Jackson was forever linked with his legendary a.ssistant Tex Winter, who is credited with all but inventing the triangle offense.

That’s why former Suns general manager Steve Kerr, who has coaching aspirations, is a likely candidate. Brian Shaw, a former Lakers guard and longtime Jackson a.ssistant, could be another, even though he signed on with Denver last spring for his first head coaching job. The Nuggets are struggling — 8 games under .500 and there are rumors he has lost some of the locker room.

Jim Cleamons, a former Knick, is another former Jackson a.ssistant who was a head coach in Dallas, where he was dealt a bad hand. Cleamons is a Milwaukee a.ssistant and will be at the Garden when the Bucks play the Knicks at noon Saturday.

Nate McMillan is a strong possibility to be considered. As far as Jeff Van Gundy, he and Jackson have exchanged verbal darts across the years with Van Gundy once calling Jackson “Big Chief Triangle.’’

“I think [Shaw] could be a perfect fit with Phil,’’ said one NBA source who worked with Jackson. “He’s not afraid to speak his mind.’’

Meanwhile, despite the potential Tuesday press conference, a fan protest against James Dolan scheduled for Wednesday in front of the Garden is still expected to go on, according to one of the organizers.
 4 years ago '07        #10708
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,468 | Props total: 378 378
That's my coach
 4 years ago '04        #10709
space
space
Stat n Tyson Chicken Chandler Bing will play tomorrow

And Woodson could be a candidate for the Georgetown coaching position if fired
 4 years ago '04        #10710
space
space
WE

IN

HERE

4 years ago '04        #10711
space
space
we should threaten to protest more often LMFAO
 4 years ago '04        #10712
space
space
Ian Begley

The Knicks have hired Phil Jackson to serve as team president. Here's what the move means for the franchise:

Instant credibility: The Knicks haven't won a title since Jackson, then a forward on the team, helped them win it in 1973. Since then, Jackson's won an NBA-record 11 rings as a head coach.

So he brings instant championship credentials to the franchise. Jackson, 68, last coached in 2010-11 with the Los Angeles Lakers.

He has never served as an NBA executive. And he'll certainly have his hands full with the Knicks.

New York is one of the biggest disappointments in the NBA this season. They are 14 games under .500 and in danger of missing the playoffs in a season that began with championship aspirations.

What about Carmelo? Jackson's first order of business will be to decide whether to re-sign Carmelo Anthony, who will test free agency this summer.

Anthony can sign a contract with the Knicks that is one year longer and worth $33 million more than any pact he could sign with another team.

He's said that his first priority is to re-sign with the Knicks. But he'd like sit down with Jackson and discuss the team's plans for the future before making a decision.

He's also said that he'd take a pay cut from the Knicks -- or another team -- if it helped the organization attract other players.

Jackson, of course, may choose to let Anthony walk and blow up the entire roster to start rebuilding from scratch.

What about the coach? Jackson was offered the coaching job by the Knicks but turned it down. He'll likely have to hire a coach in the offseason. Mike Woodson, the Knicks' current coach, is expected to be let go at the end of this season.

Who will Jackson bring in?

Jackson disciples such as Steve Kerr, Brian Shaw and Kurt Rambis have been mentioned as potential candidates.

Names being tossed around as potential replacements for Woodson before Jackson's hiring included John Calipari, Jeff Van Gundy and Tom Thibodeau.

But bringing in a big-name coach to work under Jackson may create a power struggle of sorts. A coach with the credentials of Calipari or Van Gundy would likely seek control over personnel decisions. That wouldn’t be possible with Jackson as president.

Cap crunch: The head coach and Carmelo's free agency aren't the only issues Jackson will have to deal with.

With or without Carmelo, the Knicks are projected to be above the cap thanks to contracts for Amar'e Stoudemire ($23.4 million), Tyson Chandler ($14.6 million) and Andrea Bargnani ($11.5 million), which run through 2014-15.

So Jackson will have to do some heavy lifting if he wants to reshape the Knicks in his first offseason as president.

Full autonomy? It will be interesting to see if Jackson truly has full autonomy with the Knicks. Owner James Dolan has a history of getting involved in basketball decisions. The last executive to supposedly have full autonomy was Donnie Walsh. Dolan, though, took over negotiations for the Anthony trade in February 2011, executing a deal that Walsh didn't sign off on.

Is Dolan willing to completely give all of the basketball decision making to another member of the organization?

He'd be wise to put it in the hands of Jackson, the owner of the best winning percentage (.704) in league history among NBA coaches with at least 10 seasons.
 4 years ago '04        #10713
space
space
Ramona Shelburne & Chris BITCBOYSARD

Phil Jackson signed on to become president of the New York Knicks after a lunch meeting with team officials Friday, sources have told ESPN.

Todd Musburger, Jackson's Chicago-based agent, was in Los Angeles to finalize the contract with Jackson and Knicks officials, according to sources. Jackson's deal is for five years and is expected to pay him $12 million annually but does not include an ownership stake, sources said.

The Knicks released a statement earlier Friday saying a "major announcement" would be made Tuesday at 11 a.m. ET at Madison Square Garden.
Jackson, who has won a record 11 NBA championships as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls and two as a Knicks player, probably will spend significant time in New York but also retain some time in Los Angeles, sources said.

Jackson will take over the running of the Knicks' basketball operations department from president and general manager Steve Mills. A source said earlier this week that Mills will remain an integral part of the organization.

Jackson's discussion with the Knicks has been ongoing for several months, sources said.

During that time, the Buss family has had several meetings in which Jackson was discussed, sources said.

While there was significant interest in bringing him back to the Lakers in some capacity, it never reached a level where Jackson's representatives were formally contacted, as it was clear to all involved the Lakers would not offer a role that encompassed nearly as much power as the Knicks did, sources said.

As public pressure on the Buss family mounted this week, their position remained unchanged. No contact was made with Jackson's representatives, sources said.

Jeanie Buss, Jackson's fiancee, will remain the Lakers' executive vice president of business operations, a source said. Buss is expected to attend the Lakers' next home game, Wednesday against the San Antonio Spurs.

New York (26-40), meanwhile, has won five straight games and is 3½ games behind eighth-place Atlanta for the eighth and final Eastern Conference playoff spot.

But Jackson is taking over a Knicks team that has overall performed well below expectations this season.

Jackson will be faced with several tough decisions in his first offseason as president, one of which is what to do with free agent-to-be Carmelo Anthony.

Anthony, who plans to opt out of the final year of his contract this summer, can sign a deal with the Knicks that is one year longer and worth $33 million more than any pact he can sign with another team.

The star forward has said his first priority is to re-sign with the Knicks. But he'd like to sit down with Jackson and discuss the team's plans for the future before making a decision.

Jackson probably will also have to hire a coach in the offseason. There's widespread speculation that Mike Woodson, the Knicks' current coach, is expected to be let go at the end of the season.

Jackson disciples such as Steve Kerr, Brian Shaw and Kurt Rambis are considered potential candidates.

Jackson inherits a Knicks' roster that doesn't have much flexibility in the near future.

With or without Anthony, the Knicks are expected to be over the salary cap this summer because of the contracts of Amar'e Stoudemire ($23.4 million), Tyson Chandler ($14.6 million) and Andrea Bargnani ($11.5 million), which run through 2014-15.

So Jackson probably will have to trade one of those three players if he wants to reshape the roster.

Mike D'Antoni and Gregg Popovich, speaking before the Lakers and Spurs played Friday night in San Antonio, both lauded Jackson's hiring.
"Obviously, he's a knowledgeable basketball guy and they need that right now," said D'Antoni, who coached New York from 2008 to '12.

Popovich said it would be "weird to see him up in the boxes, instead of on the sideline."

"He has a hell of a mind," Popovich added. "And being a coach is sort of a pain in the a.ss. He's a smart guy."
 4 years ago '04        #10714
space
space
Jackson inherits a roster with no flexibility in the near future....gonna guess bi*chBOY wrote that himself cause 2015 is still like 100 years away.... fu*king f*ggot
 4 years ago '04        #10715
space
space
Berman

The Zen Master in the house.

The Knicks have formally announced a Tuesday morning press conference at the Garden at which they will announce the hiring of Phil Jackson as team president, bringing his Hall of Fame career full circle as he looks to win his third championship ring as a Knick.

Jackson’s Chicago-based agent, Todd Musburger, and Knicks officials, including James Dolan lieutenant Barry Watkins, were in Los Angeles with the former Lakers coach to sign the contracts Friday, according to a source. A source confirmed an ESPN.com report Jackson will be paid approximately $12 million per year.

During Jackson’s coaching negotiations with the Lakers last season that fell apart, he asked for $12 million a year. He made $12 million in his second-to-last season coaching the Lakers in 2009-10, but took a “pay cut’’ to $10 million in 2010-11, his final season.

The Post reported Jackson reached an agreement in principle to become club president after giving Dolan, the Knicks owner, a verbal commitment last Saturday night.

Jackson has told confidants he will try to “change the culture’’ around the Knicks, who desperately need one after not winning a title in 41 years, and playing to 14 games under .500 this season. Jackson has two rings as a Knicks power forward and an NBA-record 11 as a head coach.

Jackson rejoins a franchise in a major bind as it moves forward with Carmelo Anthony’s long-term future in doubt, a long shot to make the playoffs, lacking a first-round pick in this year’s draft and no cap space until 2015. Jackson likely will change coaches at season’s end despite Mike Woodson having one year left on his pact. Steve Kerr, who played for Jackson with the Bulls, is expected to be a candidate.

Jackson will try to do what Pat Riley did so successfully in leaving the coaching sidelines to be president of the Heat, where he has won three titles.

Steve Mills was hired as Knicks president and general manager four days before training camp and will remain in a big role. However, once disaster struck this season, it was clear the franchise needed more of a power broker than Mills, who was not permitted to speak to the media the entire regular season.

The only difference could be Dolan stepping back and letting the Zen Master run the show with little interference.

“If Phil wins, Dolan will definitely leave him alone,’’ one Jackson source said.

In 11 seasons with the Knicks, Jackson appeared in 732 games, ranking fifth on the franchise’s all-time list for most games played.

The question is whether he will live full-time in New York. He currently resides in Playa Del Rey, Calif., with his fiancée, Jeanie Buss, the Lakers’ president. The fact the Lakers could have interest in Anthony as a free agent this offseason becomes another conflict with Jackson and Buss working for competing franchises.

One source said he believes Jackson was seeking a “50-50 split’’ in terms of his living arrangements. Buss is periodically in New York on business.

Jackson’s ability to make the transition to the front office from head coach will be intriguing. He is known as a master at team bonding, but not at building NBA rosters. He has not built a roster since the last time he worked in New York, when he spent five seasons in the CBA with the Albany Patroons in the 1980s as head coach and in charge of personnel.

The Knicks, however, believe his leadership will be a huge a.sset. Riley has had a hands-on approach with the coaching staff and players in Miami and sources said they believe Jackson will have a similar style. Jackson also knows he will need to be a major influence in convincing 2015 free agents to come to New York.

Jackson’s view on Anthony and vice-versa will shape the franchise’s future. Jackson is a big proponent of sacrificing everything for the team, and Anthony has been questioned for being too egocentric at times.

In his latest book, “11 Rings,” Jackson wrote: “It takes years of nurturing to get young athletes to step outside their egos and fully engage in a group experience. The NBA is not exactly the friendliest environment for teaching selflessness. Even though the game itself is a five-person sport, the culture surrounding it is celebrates egotistic behavior and stresses individual achievement over team bonding.’’
 4 years ago '04        #10716
space
space
Berman

The Zen Master already is having his effect and he hasn’t even started the job.

Phil Jackson will inherit a Knicks team that has won a season-high six games when he takes the mantle of team president at Tuesday’s press conference at the Garden.

The latest being a 115-94 matinee rout of the Bucks at the Garden on Saturday.

Actually, the Knicks recent creampuff schedule is the major cause, not any Zen vibes floating in the MSG air. In their last game pre-Jackson, the Knicks hammered the lowly Bucks at the Garden to break their 0-7 schneid in early matinee games this season.

In any event, the Jackson hiring does come at a strange time, but timing is not owner James Dolan’s strong suit.

The Knicks (26-40) received a terrific marksmanship from their trio of shooting guards and Carmelo Anthony racked up a solid 23 points (8-of-16, 6-of-6 free throws) with seven rebounds. Rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. dazzled with 17 points (8-of-12), J.R. Smith added 15 points and Iman Shumpert 14. Amar’e Stoudemire also added 15 points six rebounds and a vicious swat.

Smith, Shumpert and Hardaway combined to shoot 18-of-31.

The Knicks moved to three games behind the eighth-seeded Hawks, who play tonight vs. Denver. They have won by double digits in all six victories, but only the Timberwolves have a .500 or better record among their victims.

Center Tyson Chandler made his return from a two-game absence due to a family illness back in California and played 25 minutes to anchor the defense but was low impact offensively with two points.

The Knicks won the season series over the Bucks, 3-1.

The Knicks punished the Bucks in the first half as Anthony scored 14 points, Hardaway added 11 and J.R. Smith pumped him 12 as they took a 60-42 lead. The Knicks made 5 of 12 3-pointers and shot 56.4 percent. The Bucks moved to a league-worse 13-53.

On one fastbreak hookup early in the second quarter, Shumpert darted downcourt and lofted a perfect alley-oop pass to Hardaway, who on the dead run slammed it home. Hardaway put a fake phone receiver to his ear to commemorate the play as the Garden erupted, forcing the Bucks into a timeout as the Knicks went up 12 points.

Hardaway connected on five of seven shots in the first half. He scored on a blow-by drive two minutes later and followed that up with a 3-pointer.

Shumpert, thriving in his recent role off the bench, had a big half with eight points, 3-of-5 from the field. Late in the second quarter, he scored on a corner 3-pointer that banked off the glass. That’s how right things have been during this six-game winning streak against some of the league’s patsies.

The Knicks have beaten in succession Timberwolves, Jazz, Cavaliers, 76ers and Celtics before the Bucks cruise.
 4 years ago '04        #10717
space
space
Isola

James Dolan never got over losing LeBron James to Pat Riley and the Miami Heat in 2010. And he swore that it would never happen again.

Dolan, the chairman of Madison Square Garden, believes that to get the superstars you need a star as your closer. The Heat has Riley, and now Dolan has Jackson, the winner of 11 titles as a head coach and two as a player.

The fact that Jackson has never run a front office didn’t matter to Dolan. Nor did the outrageous price tag. It cost Dolan a king’s ransom to convince Jackson to leave his beach house for the shark-infested corporate waters at MSG. But it will be money well-spent if Jackson can land the King as well as Kevin Love or Kevin Durant over the next three years.

Jackson is 68 and for weeks he told close friends that his dream job would be a consulting gig. He never figured Dolan would come calling with the chance to rescue the franchise that drafted him.

Jackson is not in this for the long haul. His plan is to get the Knicks back to an elite status quickly, and the only way to do that is via free agency.

The Knicks can have salary flexibility next summer, when Love and Rajon Rondo are available. Durant is free in 2016. James can opt out this summer and unless he signs a one-year deal or waits until 2015 to opt out, the Knicks have little chance of landing him.

But Dolan and Jackson can dream big. Heat executives, according to a source, are not convinced that James will stay, though in their heart of hearts they believe he will re-sign. But Jackson’s arrival changes things.

“There’s no way LeBron would have gone to New York under the current climate,” said a James confidant. “He had a falling-out with CAA (agency) and that was a problem as well. But with Phil there I think he will look at it.”

CAA represents, among others, Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, Andrea Bargnani and Mike Woodson. No one was complaining about CAA’s involvement last season when the Knicks were winning 54 games. But Dolan appears ready to move on from the agency that James left two years ago.

It was inevitable, of course. When the Knicks recruited James in July of 2010, their party consisted of Donnie Walsh, Mike D’Antoni, Glen Grunwald, Scott O’Neil and Hank Ratner. All of them are gone, whacked by Dolan for one reason or another. The beginning of the end for all of them was that they failed to get James.

Riley rolled in, threw his rings on the table and landed the free agent whale.

“I think that’s a little overblown,” says a current GM. “LeBron wanted to go to a place where he could win. LeBron, (Dwyane) Wade and (Chris) Bosh hatched the plan.

“Phil can help the Knicks because he gives them a face and credibility. But these big free agents are only going to a place where they feel they can win. Phil has to build something first.”

The best rivalry in the ’90s was Riley’s Knicks vs. Jackson’s Bulls. It was great theater, but Chicago won all the titles because Jackson had Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. Miami has won the last two titles because Riley has his Big 3 headlined by James.

And soon Jackson and Riley will be f!ghting over the same players. Their battles have moved from the sidelines to the front office.

And Jim Dolan likes his chances more than ever.
 03-15-2014, 07:29 PM         #10718
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Isola.
 4 years ago '04        #10719
space
space
Berman

Knicks brass had plans to sit Iman Shumpert on the eve of the trade deadline in February in New Orleans against the Pelicans, The Post has learned.

The Knicks had a deal in principle with the Clippers in a package for Darren Collison and Matt Barnes and the front office didn’t want to risk injury. The decision to sit Shumpert, however, was scrapped that night. After all, the Knicks desperately needed the game.

The Knicks won the game, but lost the trade. Shumpert sprained the MCL in his left knee — they originally thought it was torn — and the Clippers backed off. Shumpert only missed two weeks.

It was either karma or Zen.

Now Shumpert appears to have a legitimate future with Phil Jackson’s Knicks. According to a league source, Jackson is a fan of Shumpert.

Shumpert is a defensive-minded player who sacrifices his game and doesn’t need to score a lot to have an impact.

“Iman is still part of this,’’ a league source familiar with the Knicks’ thinking told The Post.

Shumpert could be a perfect pupil of the triangle offense. It doesn’t hurt he grew up a big fan of Jackson’s Bulls in Oak Park, Ill.

“I love Phil Jackson,’’ Shumpert said. “Just being a child, seeing him, how he conducted the Bulls. I just love him.’’

Shumpert, a combo guard, is starting to thrive in his new role as an energetic Sixth Man. The Post reported after the trade deadline Shumpert felt uncomfortable as starting small forward in Mike Woodson’s smallball lineup.

Shumpert will be in the final year of his rookie contract next season, earning $2.6 million. If he continues to play like he has recently, he’ll have trade value this summer. But he also could have value on this roster as Jackson revamps. Like a lot of Knicks, he will be on audition in the final 15 games as the Knicks vie for a playoff berth.

“Whatever Phil adds on, I’m sure will be positive for this ballclub,’’ Shumpert said. “I’m happy about it. Anything that will help my game — he’s had success helping players.’’

As a member of the Mavericks, Tyson Chandler ended Jackson’s coaching career with a second-round sweep of the Lakers in 2011 — one of Jackson’s most bitter moments.

Now Chandler said he is anxious to see him help the Knicks.

“I don’t know him personally, I just have all the respect in the world for him, what he’s been able to accomplish,’’ Chandler said. “I’ve been in a series against him, and you can’t say much more than he’s basketball royalty.’’

One reason Jackson is here is to attract free agents when the Knicks have cap space in 2015 and 2106.

“I could definitely see that,’’ Chandler said. “Phil has a way of bringing the best out of players and maximizing talent.’’
 4 years ago '04        #10720
space
space
Hahn

Before the arrival of the vaunted Triangle, there is another value of three that has returned to the #Knicks:

The three-point shot has returned as a weapon for the Knicks.

Last season, if you recall, the Knicks were top 5 in all three three-point shooting categories and it was a big reason for their success. But at the start of this season, the three-ball provided the opposite effect. In the month of November, the Knicks shot 31.6% from downtown, which was the 5th-worst in the NBA.

But since Dec. 1, the Knicks returned as one of the league's top three-point shooting teams. Since the start of December, the Knicks are shooting 38.7% from three-point range, which is second in the NBA to only the San Antonio Spurs (40.3%) in that timeframe.

Including that awful start in November, the Knicks have climbed into the top 10 in three-point shooting on the season, to No. 8 (37.2%).

The success of late can be directly attributed to red hot shooting from beyond the arc. During this six-game winning streak, the Knicks are shooting 43.1% from three.

More notably, five players are shooting better than 40% from three in that span:

Pablo Prigioni 69.2% (9 for 13)
JR Smith 46.2% (18 for 39)
Tim Hardaway Jr. 42.9% (15 for 35)
Raymond Felton 42.9% (6 for 14)
Iman Shumpert 41.7% (5 for 12)

Now here comes the challenge, as the next opponent, the Indiana Pacers, post the third-best three-point defense in the NBA. They hold opponents to 34.2% shooting from downtown.

Though over their last seven games (3-4 record), Indiana's three-point defense has been a more pedestrian 37.7%.

Remember last season the Pacers held the Knicks to 35.3% from three-point range in the second round series of the playoffs. But the Knicks shot poorly from three in the entire postseason (34.3%) and actually worse in the Celtics' series (33.3%).

Wednesday's game is the toughest one in the midst of what is the easiest 12-game stretch of the schedule.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden member flies 6000 miles from Barcelona to Las Vegas to meet a gi..
325 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside ATL come get ya mans
70 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Obie Trice says he doesn't talk to Dr Dre and still has unreleased Proo..
65 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Oct 22 - 9.7 Million-Year-Old Human Teeth Fossil Could 'Rewrite Human History'
118 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Niggas what the fu-k is going on at neogaf?
103 comments
20 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
How Every Nigga Acts for 24 Hours After A Haircut
66 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Well Damn French must be packing something huge under them trousers
77 comments
2 days ago