New York Knicks

most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
171 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Video surfaces of weekend working on "crew love" with no drake lyrics
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Orlando brown finally exposes what detective Vlad been doing for years.
133 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Trevor Noah Spittin Real on The Breakfast Club
59 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 years ago '11        #10501
King Henry 522 heat pts522
space
space
$41,178 | Props total: 4628 4628

[tweet - click to view]

Go back to the fu*king small lineup Woody
 3 years ago '04        #10502
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,711 | Props total: 2231 2231
realgm.com

Tyson Chandler suffered a right leg injury in the first quarter of the New York Knicks' loss on Tuesday night and X-rays after the game were inconclusive, the team announced.

Chandler will undergo further testing on Wednesday, when a diagnosis will be given.

Chandler is averaging 7.5 points, 9 rebounds and 2.5 rebounds in four games this season.
 3 years ago '04        #10503
space
space
Berman

No Tyson Chandler. No chance.

No chance Tuesday night and no chance for this season if it’s determined Chandler’s right-knee injury is as serious as an ACL tear or severe sprain.

Chandler injured his knee midway through the first quarter, left for the locker room and will have more tests Wednesday to determine a diagnosis, the club announced. X-rays were ominously called “inconclusive’’ and it’s expected he will have an MRI exam.

Chandler, off to a great start this season, held the side of his knee when he limped off after bumping knees with Charlotte’s Kemba Walker. Chandler made it to the bench, and had a bag of ice wrapped around his knee before exiting for the locker room.

Without their most productive player, the Knicks were outmuscled and outgunned by the Bobcats, 102-97, at the Garden for their third straight loss. The Knicks, who were 4-0 at this stage last season, fell to 1-3.

But the somberness and hushed tones in the Knicks locker room indicated a graver situation — a nightmare game and a potential nightmare injury to Chandler, who had left the building by the time reporters were let into the locker room.

“We don’t know the severity yet,’’ coach Mike Woodson said. “We will know more [Wednesday] morning, but he is a big piece of what we do. He has been really playing well. He has his energy and strength back this year. We will know more [Wednesday] and we will have a better understanding of our team.

“I have a lot to think about right now with Tyson being out and Kenyon [Martin] and Amar’e [Stoudemire] on restricted minutes,’’ Woodson added.

Stoudemire and Martin are in a bizarre platoon, theoretically alternating each game, on 10-minute restrictions. But that will have to be altered if Chandler’s out for an extended period of time. Martin already logged 18 minutes Wednesday on the night he was slated to sit.

“[Chandler’s] known for his defense his whole career,’’ said Stoudemire, who struggled massively and got booed in a two-point, 1-of-3, five-turnover, 12-minute outing. “Without having Tyson, it’s going to be not the same from the defensive standpoint from the same center position.”

The Knicks fell behind 64-54 at halftime and never recovered.

“I just pray and hope he’s fine,’’ Carmelo Anthony said of Chandler. “We missed him big-time.’’

The Knicks fell apart late after getting a 13-point, third-quarter deficit down to 91-89 with 4:09 left. But they scored just two points in the next 3:45, their offense falling into playground style, lacking ball movement. The only good thing was already up-in-arms owner James Dolan wasn’t present to witness the debacle.

“We’re just not getting it done,’’ said Anthony. “No need to try to pinpoint it. We’re just not getting it done. It’s a good thing it’s early. I don’t think it’s hard to figure it out. It seems we’re not playing hard.’’

Anthony finished with 32 points. He was a lot more aggressive, making all 10 free throws but was just 10-of-28 shooting.

Without Chandler’s interior defensive presence, the Bobcats had a free-for-all and shot 56.8 percent in the first half. They slaughtered the Knicks on the glass, 51-33, as Chandler’s absence left a giant hole. Charlotte scored 25 second-chance points while the Knicks secured just 22 defensive rebounds.

“Our defense stinks right now,’’ Woodson said.

Chandler left the game with 5:25 left in the first quarter. If he never returns, the Knicks could struggle for a playoff berth. The Knicks don’t have a first-round pick. It is owned by Denver, surrendered in the 2011 Anthony blockbuster.

Ironically, Anthony scored a bucket — not officially — for Charlotte during the late-game meltdown. Raymond Felton also didn’t distinguish himself late, missing three straight shots. Meanwhile, Charlotte upped the lead to three points as Jeff Adrien scored on an offensive putback.

Charlotte scored again on another second-chance basket when it appeared Anthony tipped a defensive rebound into the hoop for a Charlotte bucket. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist got credit for the basket and a 95-89 lead with 2:20 left.

“We were a bit slow,’’ Felton said. “It’s not the kind of basketball we want to show the fans.’’
 3 years ago '04        #10504
space
space
Berman

The need for 6-foot-10 forward/center Jeremy Tyler to rejoin the Knicks in December has grown mightily given the uncertain status of center Tyson Chandler.

Knicks coach Mike Woodson confirmed the injured Tyler “could be a wearing a Knick uniform’’ after he gets his feet wet in the D-League with the team’s Erie affiliate — and that was before Chandler’s knee injury.

“I think we got to keep an eye on him,’’ Woodson said. “He was a good prospect for us in the summer league. That’s why we were high on him getting to vet camp. Then unfortunately he had the foot problem. I think that we rehab him and keep close tabs on him, just to see how he develops. If he comes along nicely, who knows, he could be wearing a Knick uniform. We just got to wait the course.’’

Erie obtained Tyler’s D-League rights Monday from Santa Cruz, allowing the Knicks to rehab him at their Tarrytown facility.

Tyler was released in late October to make room for J.R. Smith’s brother, Chris, who is expected to play for Erie.

However, The Post reported Monday the Knicks want to re-sign Tyler once he gets healthy. Either Smith or center Cole Aldrich, who has yet to get in a game, would have to be waived to make room. If Chandler’s injury is serious, Smith is the likely candidate to get bumped as he can still play for Erie as a free agent.

Tyler may be about a month away from playing in a D-League contest. He’s not allowed to rehab on the court during Knicks practices. Smith has already earned the $491,000 guaranteed him for making the team whether he remains on the 15-man roster or not.

The Knicks are desperate for big-man depth with Amar’e Stoudemire and Kenyon Martin considered injury risks.

Knicks owner James Dolan is rightfully disgusted with the Knicks poor start but a report stating he is looking to reduce the role of the Knicks City Dancers is erroneous, according to a Garden source.

The source said they aren’t on the floor as much because there’s a movement to upgrade the routines by the popular Knicks City Dancers to make them less like “regular cheerleaders.”

“We’re in the process of a rebranding of the Knicks City Dancers,” the Garden source said. “We’re looking at making them bigger and better so they’re not just regular cheerleaders.”

The source said the dancers are rehearsing new routines that are more “classy.”
 3 years ago '05        #10505
s1eepyboy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,235 | Props total: 1552 1552
People still think we got better than last year just cause of a few popular name signings or nah?

We'll see how weccontinue to pan out as the season goes on

3 - 1 STRK: 2 w in a row WIN PCT: 75% 121 (-7) 
  Career: | Aug 13: 94-60, Rank #50 | Aug 12: 34-21, Rank #101 | Aug 11: 41-32, Rank #129 | Aug 10: 89-44, Rank #86 *
 3 years ago '04        #10506
space
space
Berman

Mike Woodson said J.R. Smith could start at shooting guard in his season debut Sunday, supplant Iman Shumpert in the lineup.

Smith was expected to first have to get his feet wet before Woodson would make the plunge starting last season’s Sixth Man Award winner, who is serving a five-game pot suspension.

Not so, with Woodson indicating he has a difficult decision on his hands.

“He possibly could be. Absolutely,’’ Woodson said before Tuesday’s game against the Bobcats of Smith starting. “He comes back Sunday, and when he comes back we’ll just play it out.’’

“We don’t have a lot of practice time between games. It’s hard to practice and determine who’s going to be at that spot. Bottom line is I’m going to have to make a decision and we’re going to live with it. Hopefully that decision will work. If not, I have enough pieces to juggle. It’s a matter of getting all the pieces in place and getting a nice rotation because we’re not there on rotations yet.’’

On Tuesday, Woodson started the big frontcourt that features Andrea Bargnani at power forward and Carmelo Anthony at the 3.
 3 years ago '04        #10507
space
space
Ian Begley

New York Knicks center Tyson Chandler has a small non-displaced fracture of his right fibula and is expected to miss four to six weeks, the team announced Wednesday.

Chandler left Tuesday's game against the Charlotte Bobcats in the first quarter after suffering the injury during a collision with Charlotte point guard Kemba Walker.

Further tests to Chandler's injury taken Wednesday showed the fracture.

The Knicks say Chandler, the 2011 Defensive Player of the Year, did not suffer any ligament or nerve damage will not need surgery.

Chandler is arguably the second-most important Knick behind Carmelo Anthony, so New York will be hard-pressed to fill the void left by his injury.
 3 years ago '04        #10508
space
space
Ohm Youngmisuk

Head coach Mike Woodson said he is not worried about his job security nor is he constantly looking over his shoulders with the New York Knicks off to a slow start.

The Knicks (1-3) have lost three straight games, two of which Woodson felt his team wasn't very competitive early on in losses to Minnesota and Charlotte. And the coach just lost Tyson Chandler, his starting center and best defensive player, for four to six weeks with a small non-displaced fracture of his right fibula.

In an interview on ESPN New York 98.7 radio, Woodson said he is not thinking about his job security.

"I have been at this thing 30 years," Woodson said. "And the one thing I never and will never do is look over my shoulder. I won't do that. I got too much pride for that. I think what we have done here for the last few years, we made some major ground and some major steps.

"But this is a different year. That team that played and won 54 games is not here. It is my job as a coach to get this team to gel and play at a high level. If I got to always look over my shoulders, then I can't do my job so that is why I never do that. Try to look ahead, that is what is staring at me right now."

Woodson was asked on the Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show whether he thinks he has to get the Knicks turned around quickly in light of Glen Grunwald being removed from his GM position before the season. Also, the New York Daily News reported that owner James Dolan was very upset as the Knicks fell behind big against Minnesota early and that the owner believes the Knicks have the talent to win a championship.

"Expectations are high and they should be," Woodson said. "I am not running from that as the coach. As the owner, Mr. Dolan being an owner of our team, he has every right to voice his opinion. This is his team, we all work for Mr. Dolan and I am happy to be a worker for Mr. Dolan.

"But at the end of the day, I still have a job I have to do. Right now our team is not playing at the level where I expect it should be. That is on me. It is not on Jim. It is on Mike Woodson."

The Knicks picked up the option on Woodson's contract for the 2014-15 season in September.

"Somehow as a coach, I got to get our team playing 48 minutes competing," Woodson said. "The last two games have been non-competitive (early). And that bothers me. That is a reflection on me from a coaching standpoint and my staff and somehow we got to get that turned around and get us competing.

"It's early. I am not a panicky coach."
 3 years ago '04        #10509
space
space
Ohm Youngmisuk

Mike Woodson said he likely will have to go small ball again and perhaps start Andrea Bargnani at center.

With Tyson Chandler out for at least a month with a small nondisplaced fracture of his right fibula, the Knicks coach is considering a small lineup of Raymond Felton, Pablo Prigioni, Iman Shumpert, Carmelo Anthony and Bargnani against Charlotte on Friday. Once J.R. Smith returns from suspension on Sunday against the Spurs, Woodson could go with Smith in the starting lineup, perhaps in place of Shumpert.

"It’s been proven since I have been here that the small lineup works," Woodson said on ESPN New York 98.7 FM. "Again, there’s going to be nights where we got to against teams like the Pacers and Brooklyn, the big teams that I don’t know if the small lineup will fare very well against.

"With Amar’e [Stoudemire] and Kenyon [Martin] both on restricted minutes, it might bump Andrea now to the 5 and Melo goes back to the 4 spot where he play[ed] so nicely for us in the last season. And then we might go with Pablo and Raymond and Iman until we are able to get J.R. back. That’s really the only route I have right now."

Woodson had been going with his big lineup of Bargnani in the frontcourt with Anthony and Chandler.

"My tinkering with the lineup was to actually see how the big team would fare," he explained. "We have had our moments but we haven’t had enough moments where it has made a major difference to even get a true comparison. That is kind of where I am at now. We lose Tyson last night, he goes down, I think I am forced to go back to small ball. We will see how that plays out."

K-Mart and Amar'e: With Chandler out, Woodson acknowledged he is going to have to play Martin more, but there will still be a minutes limit on the forward.

Martin played 18 minutes after Chandler went down against Charlotte. Woodson said Martin was sore Wednesday and will be monitored. He wants to keep Martin in the 10- to 20-minute range moving forward. And the Knicks will likely and smartly continue to bring Stoudemire along slowly.

"I know what we’re dealing with in terms of the medical problems that they do have," Woodson said of Martin and Stoudemire. "In order to try to prolong it and get the most out of them, you can’t play them 30 minutes a night because there can definitely be a breakdown.

"So we are trying to monitor their minutes and try to make their minutes the most productive minutes in terms of trying to win games. That is something I am trying to figure out right now."
 3 years ago '07        #10510
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,383 | Props total: 277 277
melo at the 4, thats a scary sight.

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 217 (-134) 
  Career: | Aug 16: 47-24, Rank #82 | Aug 15: 53-44, Rank #135 | Aug 14: 155-91, Rank #48 | Aug 13: 64-32, Rank #54 | Aug 12: 212-123, Rank #30 | Aug 11: 333-187, Rank #38 | Aug 10: 1090-567, Rank #11 | Aug 09: 2-1, Rank #328 | Aug 08: 3-1, Rank #625 *
 3 years ago '05        #10511
s1eepyboy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,235 | Props total: 1552 1552
Nate Wolters is a stud, nobodys paying attention to him...it would be love to bring him here

3 - 1 STRK: 2 w in a row WIN PCT: 75% 121 (-7) 
  Career: | Aug 13: 94-60, Rank #50 | Aug 12: 34-21, Rank #101 | Aug 11: 41-32, Rank #129 | Aug 10: 89-44, Rank #86 *
 3 years ago '04        #10512
space
space
Berman

Mike Woodson said he will sit down with Knicks GM/president Steve Mills and a.ssistant GM Allan Houston to discuss a list of free-agent big men, but didn’t seem intrigued when the name Jason Collins was raised.

Woodson had admitted earlier in preseason Collins’ name came up during a discussion of potential training-camp invites. Collins, who became the first active major-sport professional athlete to come out as gay, wasn’t invited to an NBA training camp amid speculation teams didn’t want to deal with the potential media distractions. It doesn’t appear the Knicks are going that route.

“I don’t know what he’s done,’’ Woodson said when asked about the former Net. “It’s hard for me to comment on Jason or any big until I sit and talk with Steve and Allan to see who’s out there. We have a list of some bigs.”

Collins, who played at Stanford, is training in Southern California, aiming to join a roster that may have a spot open up due to injury. The Knicks were already thin in the frontcourt, then Tyson Chandler suffered a broken fibula that will force him to miss 4-to-6 weeks. The Knicks could use another natural center.

“I’m going to sit and talk with Steve and Allan today, see what’s out there and go from there,’’ Woodson said. “I don’t know what’s out there right now.”

The Post has reported the Knicks hope to re-sign Jeremy Tyler next month when he is done rehabbing after foot surgery. In the short term, they are more likely to re-sign rugged power forward Ike Diogu, who had a nice training camp before being cut. The Knicks would have to release J.R. Smith’s brother, Chris Smith, to open up a roster spot.

Woodson said center Cole Aldrich, who has been a DNP or inactive in the first four games, will now see some minutes, and he is looking at lifting Amar’e Stoudemire and Kenyon Martin’s minutes cap from 10 to 15. They are also on a platoon system that probably won’t change.

Other free-agent big men of note are Earl Barron, who had his second stint with the Knicks late last season, and Hilton Armstrong. Barron had signed with a Chinese team, but recently left.
 3 years ago '04        #10513
space
space
Ohm Youngmisuk

Raymond Felton apologized to fans Thursday for the New York Knicks' slow start and asked for their patience.

The point guard says the Knicks are fine and will bounce back from a 1-3 start.

"The fans are not here in the locker room with us," Felton said on The Michael Kay Show on ESPN New York 98.7. "They are not inside (knowing) what's going on with this team. All I can say to the fans is we do apologize. I am speaking on behalf of myself and my teammates. We do apologize for the way we have been playing.

"We are not playing Knicks basketball right now," Felton continued. "We understand that. We are going to play harder, we are going to play better. It's early on in the season. Just be patient with us."

The Knicks have lost three straight games as they head into Charlotte, which beat them, 102-97, on Tuesday. They'll also play their first of the next several games without starting center Tyson Chandler, who is out for the next four-to-six weeks with a small non-displaced fracture of his right fibula.

Felton says he knows some fans are panicking even though it is very early.

"We are going through a little slump right now," Felton explained. "I know the fans and everybody is starting to panic a little bit. We are fine man. It's only game five coming up. It's still early in the season. We are going to get through it."

"Some things we got to work out," Felton added. "We got a lot of new guys to the team. There are a lot of things we are still working on. It's still early. No need to panic."

Felton said the Knicks have enough leadership with Chandler out between himself and Carmelo Anthony. The point guard also says nobody is happy with the poor start, from owner James Dolan down to the players and coaching staff.

"It's obvious we know he was ticked off," Felton said when asked if he knew if Dolan was upset after the Knicks gave up 40 points in the first quarter in a 109-100 loss on Sunday to the Timberwolves. "We were ticked off. The way we played in that first quarter was not acceptable. We definitely know he's upset. Coach (Mike Woodson) is not happy. Nobody is happy right now. We weren't expecting to be 1-3."

Certainly Knicks fans didn't expect the slow start either. But Felton is asking that fans be patient and stick with the Knicks.

"We got some new guys on this team that we are trying to work in things with," Felton said of new Knicks like Andrea Bargnani and Metta World Peace. "It is going to get there. Just stick with us.

"You all were with us all year last year during the great time. Now be with us during the tough time as well."
 3 years ago '04        #10514
space
space
Ian O'Connor

The once-imagined Big Three of the New York Knicks belongs to the vision of three executives. If you are scoring at home, James Dolan will take credit for Carmelo Anthony while the deposed Glen Grunwald is a.ssigned Tyson Chandler and the deposed Donnie Walsh absorbs the hit that is Amar'e Stoudemire.

Walsh had to give all that money and all those years to Stoudemire so the Knicks wouldn't get completely shut out at the free-agent bazaar of 2010, a result that would've humiliated a franchise that, Lord knows, had humiliated itself enough. Grunwald had to give all that money and all those years to Chandler because the Knicks couldn't be sure they'd ever land Chris Paul, and because Chandler -- even though he was never a true star -- was a significant contributor to a championship team in Dallas.

But those good intentions haven't added up in an Eastern Conference that has turned hard against the Knicks, reducing last year's second seed to a second-tier team. Chandler, out with a fractured leg, has failed to hold up physically in two consecutive postseasons, and Stoudemire has unraveled in spectacular fashion, the two of them leaving Dolan's guy, Melo, all alone on a team now in the hands of yet another executive, Steve Mills.

Another executive who could destroy Melo's chance to ever win a ring in New York on a single swing and miss.

Assuming Anthony decides to re-sign in July, and a.ssuming the Knicks don't believe Iman Shumpert can grow into something special (I, for one, still think he has a chance), Mills is going to make a big move within the next year or two to land a legitimate second star. Dolan hired his new president and GM because he feels Mills has the requisite connections and charisma that Grunwald lacked to acquire that player, the one who provides Melo the complementary firepower to end the franchise's championship drought.

"And people are already selling [Dolan] on the idea that Kevin Durant will be that guy," said one person close to the Knicks. Though he's repped by Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports and the Knicks' preferred business partners, Creative Artists Agency, or CAA, Durant is under contract with Oklahoma City through 2016, when New York's drought is scheduled to turn 43. Mills isn't about to wait around for that, not with the clock tick-tick-ticking away on Anthony's prime.

Is he capable of making the difference-making deal? Can he prove himself worthy of running basketball operations after the Garden collapsed around him in his first go-around on the business side of the place?

"That's an unknown," the person said, "because Steve has never been a GM running the team. I think he'll rely a lot on his a.ssistants, Mark Warkentien and Allan Houston, and he'll go to Warkentien more because he's the better of the two."

Warkentien and Houston are CAA clients, as is Mike Woodson, who, before earning the Knicks' full devotion, fired an agent he shared with Garden archenemy Larry Brown. Anthony and Andrea Bargnani are CAA guys, and so are J.R. Smith and brother Chris, widely perceived to be a scholarship player with walk-on skills. CAA has done consulting work for the Garden, and Dolan counts among his basketball advisers CAA's William "Worldwide Wes" Wesley, an influential dealmaker also known to have a strong working relationship with Mills.

"Steve's a really bright guy," said a second person with close ties to the Knicks, "but the question is whether Dolan will empower him, and give Steve the leeway he needs, when you basically have CAA running the place….J.R. Smith's brother? I can see keeping Carmelo Anthony's brother if it meant re-signing him. I wouldn't have done that, but I would've considered it."

Either way, Anthony is favored to remain with the Knicks for the $129 million nobody else can give him. But it appears he'll have to endure some more pain and suffering before he signs up for that max-out deal.

The Knicks are a 1-3 team that could very easily be 0-4. Chandler is out for four to six weeks, Stoudemire is falling apart limb by limb, Bargnani doesn't know if he's coming or going, the defense is offensive to watch, and the Knicks might end up needing a lot of luck to end up with the fifth best record in the East. And yet Dolan somehow expected this to be a championship roster in the weeks after firing the GM, Grunwald, who pieced most of it together.

"When expectations don't match up with the reality of your roster," said the second person, "it rarely goes well. You're always frustrated instead of proud of what you're accomplishing. You're really pissed at 1-3 instead of thinking, 'Hey, in a bad Eastern Conference, let's try to win a round in the playoffs and engineer something to get another really good player,' which is what the Knicks should be thinking."

A Daily News report had Dolan already venting his frustrations on Mills, who had as much to do with a.ssembling the core Knicks as the guys selling pretzels and beer. That's OK. Mills knew exactly what he signed up for. He's a Princeton man who fully understands the terms of MSG engagement.

Grunwald was a 54-game winner last season who presided over the Knicks' first playoff series victory since 2000, and Dolan sacked him in favor of Mills, who gets a second chance in a place that won't offer him a third.

So when Mills does make his big move in the next year or two, it has to work out better than Grunwald's play for Chandler and Walsh's play for Stoudemire. In fact, it has to work out just like Dolan's Melo deal with Denver, minus the surrendered No. 1 pick in next June's loaded draft.

And if it doesn't, Carmelo Anthony will make a hell of a lot more money than Patrick Ewing ever did in New York, and end up with the same amount of rings.
 3 years ago '04        #10515
space
space
Frank Isola

James Dolan was a no-show on Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden so Mike Woodson’s night wasn’t a full-fledged disaster.

There is no telling how Dolan, the Garden chairman, would have reacted immediately following a 102-97 loss to the undermanned Charlotte Bobcats, a game that saw Tyson Chandler suffer a fractured right leg that will sideline the center for four to six weeks. In light of Dolan’s tirade following Sunday’s loss to Minnesota where neither Steve Mills nor the Knicks City Dancers were spared Dolan’s wrath, Woodson got off easy. Well, at least for now.

The Knicks have posted a 1-3 record just weeks after the Daily News reported that Dolan told Woodson and his staff that he expects the Knicks to win a title this year. With Woodson’s top ally, Glen Grunwald, demoted from general manager to adviser before training camp, Woodson is quickly emerging as the fall guy if the Knicks don’t turn things around quickly.

“I have been at this thing 30 years,” Woodson told ESPN Radio in New York on Wednesday. “And the one thing I never and will never do is look over my shoulder. I won’t do that. I got too much pride for that. I think what we have done here for the last few years, we made some major ground and some major steps.

“But this is a different year. That team that played and won 54 games is not here. It is my job as a coach to get this team to jell and play at a high level. If I got to always look over my shoulders, then I can’t do my job, so that is why I never do that. Try to look ahead, that is what is staring at me right now.”

The team that won 54 games included four veterans with playoff experience who policed the locker room. Jason Kidd was the unquestioned leader of the group but he retired to coach the Brooklyn Nets, which is no doubt a sore subject for Dolan.

Rasheed Wallace, Marcus Camby and Kurt Thomas are also gone, and what remains is a talented team that lacks leadership and has yet to figure out how to play together.

According to a source, Woodson was taken aback by Dolan’s “win-now” edict and privately questioned why the roster didn’t include more veterans with championship DNA. Dolan, though, upset over the Knicks losing to Indiana in six games with Kidd underperforming and Wallace and Thomas out with foot injuries, was intent on bringing in younger players.

That philosophical difference isn’t uncommon between coaching staffs and management, but Dolan doesn’t work well with those who challenge his authority.

He can often be irrational, highlighted by his decision to ban — at least for now — the Knicks City Dancers performing their usual routines. They have not performed in either of the last two home games.

In the long run, Woodson and the Knicks will be better off if Dolan focuses more on the game night entertainment as opposed to the basketball team. Just don’t bet on it.

Dolan has a history of meeting with his head coaches after difficult losses, and sometimes his emotions get the best of him.

He ended Lenny Wilkens’ Hall of Fame career in the blink of a eye by ordering Isiah Thomas to fire the former Knicks coach immediately after a last-second home loss to the Houston Rockets. For a while, Mike D’Antoni stayed one step ahead when he discovered a quick escape route from the Garden on those nights when he wasn’t in the mood to listen to Dolan give the autopsy report. Eventually, he also was fired and replaced by Woodson.

Woodson has played the role of the good company man since being promoted. He accepted Dolan’s ground rules and fired his long-time agent, Keith Glass, because the Glass family had represented Dolan’s all-time adversary, Larry Brown. Woodson also allows himself to be followed by a Garden employee everywhere he goes, whether it’s at home games or on the road. Last season, the employee wouldn’t leave Woodson’s side as the coach met with family and friends outside the visiting team locker room in Atlanta. It was an awkward and uncomfortable scene.

Woodson remains close to Brown, so he knew exactly what he was getting into when he agreed to join the Knicks. But until you experience it you really never fully understand it.

“Expectations are high and they should be,” Woodson told the radio station. “I am not running from that as the coach. As the owner, Mr. Dolan being an owner of our team, he has every right to voice his opinion. This is his team, we all work for Mr. Dolan and I am happy to be a worker for Mr. Dolan.”
 3 years ago '04        #10516
space
space
Ian Begley

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony questioned the team's effort in a players-only meeting following a loss to the Charlotte Bobcats on Tuesday.

"We shut the door after the game and talked it out a little bit and tried to figure out what was happening," Anthony said Friday.

Anthony's message to his teammates was direct.

"We've got to want it, we've got to want to do it. We've got to believe in ourselves, and right now we're playing like we don't even believe in ourselves," Anthony said. "It's just effort."

Anthony said the players also talked about the impact turnovers have had on the team's slow start. New York (1-3) is turning the ball over 16.8 times per game, the 16th-highest rate in the league. Last season, the Knicks had the lowest turnover rate in the NBA.

"You cannot turn the ball over if you want to be a good team in this league," Anthony said. "Hopefully the conversation we had after that game made everybody realize that although it is early there are some things we need to fix and we need to fix now."

Anthony calling his team's effort into question is an indication of how dire things are for the Knicks, who have lost three straight games since a season-opening win against Milwaukee.

New York will be without center Tyson Chandler (broken leg) for at least four weeks, starting Friday night in a road game against the Bobcats. The injury is a crushing blow to a team that entered the season with championship aspirations.

Players have said that everyone from Knicks owner and Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan to the coaching staff is upset over New York's start.

"Nobody is happy right now," Raymond Felton said on The Michael Kay Show on ESPN New York 98.7 on Thursday. "We weren't expecting to be 1-3.

"All I can say to the fans is we do apologize," Felton said during the radio interview. "I am speaking on behalf of myself and my teammates. We do apologize for the way we have been playing. We are not playing Knicks basketball right now. We understand that. We are going to play harder, we are going to play better. It's early on in the season. Just be patient with us."

Felton agreed with Anthony's a.ssertion that the Knicks lack intensity, which is a startling admission for a team that is just four games into an 82-game season.

"I'm not going to sit here and say that the energy is not there," Felton said. "It just seems like teams are playing harder than we are, they want it more than we do. And we've just got to change that.

"Everybody's starting to panic a little bit but we're fine," he added. "We're going through a little slump right now but we'll get through it."
 3 years ago '04        #10517
space
space
should be interesting tonight, if Steve Clifford can't coach tonight against NYK the next in line to takeover till he comes back is Patrick Ewing
 3 years ago '04        #10518
space
space
Free murry!!!
 3 years ago '04        #10519
space
space
Berman

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Thank Patrick Ewing for helping solve the Knicks’ latest crisis at center.

And thank Carmelo Anthony for a players-only meeting staged Tuesday that woke up the troops. And most of all, thank Andrea Bargnani for turning in a performance worthy of the first overall pick in the draft and worthy of, yes, Knicks legend Patrick Ewing.

In Ewing’s head-coaching debut caused by Steve Clifford’s heart procedure, Bargnani played like Ewing and led the Knicks with a spectacular showing as the reeling franchise broke its three-game losing streak in a 101-91 romp over the Bobcats at Time Warner Arena.

“Sometimes you need to just get together and talk and communicate and let it all out and try to figure out what the problem and issue is,’’ said Anthony, who called the team meeting after Tuesday’s loss to Charlotte. “We responded well tonight.’’

Playing their first game without injured center Tyson Chandler (broken fibula), the Knicks were sharp in all facets and Anthony regained his superstar form in scoring a game-high 28 points, with eight rebounds and six a.ssists. He shot a healthy 12 of 22.

But the biggest surprise was Bargnani rising to the occasion as the Knicks’ new starting center, playing with aggression and force on both ends. He finished with 25 points, eight rebounds and five blocks.

“We played like our backs were against the wall,’’ Anthony said. “It was a must-win for us. When you talk about must-wins this early, something obviously is going wrong. We corrected it. We took care of the basketball, played defense and our offense was clicking.’’

It was Bargnani’s first 20-point game as a Knick. After averaging 9.0 points per game, Bargnani shot 11 of 25 in 34:48.

“He had that shoot-first mentality,’’ Anthony said. “He had some of the same looks but he wasn’t hesitating, which I like. He was very aggressive on the offensive end tonight. I guess he was tired of hearing [he wasn’t].’’

Coach Mike Woodson said his a.ssistant coaches gave Bargnani a pep talk at the morning shootaround.

“I’m still trying to learn him as a coach,’’ Woodson said. “I told our coaches, hell, he needs to speak up and talk more and act like he’s a part of this. He was pretty good tonight. He can’t be a tease because I’m going to expect that from him every time.’’

Bargnani and Anthony combined for 53 points as the Knicks moved to 2-3. They also have played their last game without J.R. Smith, who will make his season debut in a Sunday matinee against San Antonio after serving a five-game marijuana suspension.

“We knew it was a must-win for us,’’ Raymond Felton said. “We wanted to get back to Knicks basketball and that’s what we did.’’

Felton, who apologized to Knicks fans Thursday, had a superb outing as the Knicks’ ball movement with their smallball lineup was crisp. Felton scored 15 points, with five a.ssists, one turnover and four rebounds — one of which he converted into a coast-to-coast layup.

The Knicks heated up from the 3-point line with all their open looks, making 12 of 26.

“That’s Knick basketball,’’ Felton said. “We can’t come out and be soft. Andrea was great tonight. He finally found his shot. The ball was moving. We had 25 a.ssists.’’

When the half ended, the usually stoic Bargnani clapped his hands. He knew he had done good. Bargnani was aggressive on defense and smooth on the offensive end. He even tried a crossover dribble at the top of the key, getting to the rack. Though his runner banked off too hard, the play showed he was feeling his oats.

“I got to thank my teammates,’’ Bargnani said. “They were looking for me. It was the teamwork. I didn’t want to be hesitant They helped me a lot and I got to help them. We were really upset that we had three losses in a row and real happy we got the win.’’

Anthony, too, found his mojo, his silky jumper and brutalizing post game after shooting 37.1 percent in the first four games and 37.5 percent in preseason.

“Not yet, not yet,’’ Anthony said when asked if his rhythm is back. “It’s not there yet. I’m working. It’s coming back slowly but surely.”

The virtuoso performance all came after Anthony’s meeting. He questioned the team’s effort, commitment and belief in themselves. Anthony said after Friday’s morning shootaround Friday: “Though it is early, there are things we need to fix and fix now.’’

So they did.
 3 years ago '04        #10520
space
space
Berman

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Mike Woodson confirmed The Post’s report the Knicks would stand pat and not add a center in light of Tyson Chandler’s broken leg that will keep him out 4-to-6 weeks.

Woodson said centers are “scarce’’ and the club will wait for the D-League to start before deciding on anything, claiming there wasn’t any center out there of note. Nevertheless, a source told The Post Knicks owner James Dolan didn’t want to add more salary since they are already paying 16 players this season and are deep in luxury-tax territory.

Jeremy Tyler is not on the roster, but made his $200,000 guarantee despite getting cut in training camp. The Knicks are likely to re-sign him in December and pay him an additional new contract. Tyler will likely first play a few games for Erie. Because the Knicks are over the luxury tax threshold as repeat offenders, each new contract gets taxed by a ratio of 2-1.

“We’re going to stay where we are,’’ Woodson said. “I know this D-League thing is coming up with training camp. We’ll start evaluating our situation. That’s down the road.’’

“You can always cut and get a big but bigs are scarce. It’s hard to find them. If you know of any let me know.’’

Earl Barron and Ike Diogu would have made good fits as rebounders. Barron has had two stints with the Knicks and Diogu excelled in training camp.

But they want to see what they have in Cole Aldrich.

“I know he can rebound,’’ Woodson said. “But again the way we want to make sure he can keep up with the pace.’’

Woodson said Aldrich would get minutes with Chandler’s injury. Aldrich played just 1:29 in the Knicks’ 101-91 win over the Bobcats, but should play more against San Antonio on Sunday if Amar’e Stoudemire sits.

“Any minutes you get is an opportunity to go out there and help the team win,’’ said Aldrich, a former lottery pick out of Kansas. “It’s a huge disappointment Tyson can’t play for 4-to-6 weeks or however long it’s going to be. We all have to make up for it. Tyson is a huge part of our team. We can’t sit around and mope around it. The season continues.’’

The Knicks don’t want to cut J.R. Smith’s brother, Chris, right now until the D-League starts and he will have a place to land. He will play at their D-League affiliate in Erie whether he’s part of the 15-man roster or not. He’s already pocketed his $491,000 guarantee so they want him with the club as a practice player too.

Woodson has gotten the medical staff to lift Stoudemire’s minutes to 15 but he played 8:28. He shook off some rust and had five points and two rebounds. Kenyon Martin’s 10-minute restriction has risen to the 18-to-20 range but he played 10:06. They both played Friday for the first time this season. … Friday was the last game without J.R. Smith, who returns Sunday from his five-game suspension. “Not having him at the start was a k!ller,’’ Woodson said.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Guy Tricked By Tr@nny - Cringe Video
202 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Adult Entertainer That Sold Out Her Race
86 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
107 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Christina Milian Shows Damn Near EVERYTHING in a see through fit!!"
130 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - Tomi craps on Rosenberg
115 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Big Boi Explains That "Record For Outkast" Gucci Mane Was Talking About
47 comments
21 hours ago