New York Knicks

most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
78 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Part Of Logan Just Screened For Critics, Here's What They Think
11 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
audio inside [NEW] Ab-Soul "RAW(backwards) [Jay Electronica Diss]
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 8 - THE PIG WITH A MONKEY FACE
2 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 3 years ago '04        #10481
Born_Loser|M 82 heat pts82
space
space
$40,712 | Props total: 2231 2231
Hahn

#Knicks reclaimed the Garden as their own stage last season; need to get re-acclimated again.

The Knicks had the seventh-best home record in the NBA last season at 31-10, which was their best performance at the Garden in a decade. And, for a half, they looked right at home again on Friday night in the preseason finale, which was their first time back in the Garden since last season.

But in the second half, despite the beauty of the newly transformed arena, things got ugly as their shooting and their intensity waned. Mike Woodson felt the need to bring the team back to the building the next day for a rare practice on the Garden court.

"It felt different, man," Carmelo Anthony said. "We've been on the road this whole preseason. To finally be back on our home court, and only have one preseason game, it felt a little different."

Due to the final stages of the Garden transformation, the Knicks played their six previous preseason games on a barnstorming tour that included Providence, R.I., Toronto, Manchester, N.H., Washington, D.C., Toronto again and Green Bay, WI. Some weird rims, some strange gyms and some empty venues.

They'll now get to settle in at the Garden as the regular season opens Wednesday, when the Knicks host the Bucks. Seven of the first 11 games of the season are at home.

While it'll be good to be home, the guest list is challenging. After Milwaukee, the Knicks host the Timberwolves, Bobcats, Spurs, Rockets, Hawks and Pacers among those first 11 games.
 3 years ago '04        #10482
space
space
Ian Begley

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Mike Woodson says he is toying with the idea of starting Metta World Peace over Andrea Bargnani in the season opener on Wednesday.

"I don't yet," the coach said Monday when asked about starting World Peace or Bargnani against the Bucks. "I really don't."

It's interesting that Woodson is still wrestling with his starting five just two days before the Knicks open the regular season.

The coach was committed to using Bargnani in the starting lineup throughout the preseason. But he may have changed his mind because of Bargnani's shooting struggles -- the forward shot just 38 percent from the floor in seven preseason games. Or, Woodson may not want to reveal his starting five publicly. If he announced his starting lineup on Monday, Milwaukee would have two days to prepare.

Woodson said after Monday's scrimmage that it was hard to evaluate his starting lineup and reserve unit because Iman Shumpert (soreness) did not practice. Shumpert is expected to start at shooting guard on Wednesday alongside Raymond Felton at point guard. Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler are expected to round out the Knicks' front line.

If World Peace starts against Milwaukee, that would allow Anthony to shift back to power forward.

Anthony won the 2012-13 scoring title playing primarily at power forward.

If Bargnani ends up in the starting lineup, Anthony would shift to small forward, where he's played most often throughout his 10-year career.

Bargnani and World Peace have vastly different skill sets. Bargnani's known as a strong perimeter shooter but a weak defender; World Peace can guard the opponent's top forward and can knock down an open perimeter shot.

"With Bargnani, we can space the floor out; he causes some type of mismatches out there," Anthony said. "With Metta, he kind of brings that defensive mentality out on the basketball court, gets us going, gets the energy going in the game. We know what to expect from both them guys, what type of games that they have. (They are) totally two different type of games."

Woodson said on Sunday that Bargnani is still adjusting to life with the Knicks on both ends of the floor. In addition to his poor preseason shooting, Bargnani seemed to struggled with the Knicks' defensive concepts in the exhibition season. The Knicks were outscored by 65 points in 170 minutes with Bargnani on the floor.

"I really believe Andrea can be a good team defender. My whole thing is it’s our job to help him," Tyson Chandler said. "Obviously, Metta does some incredible things individually as a defender but it’s our job to help guys that are not known to be defenders."

If World Peace starts, the Knicks could have an easier time getting stops. Woodson & Co. have mentioned several times that defense is a priority going into the regular season.

New York ranked 17th last year in points allowed per 100 possessions. Their stated goal is to be a top 10 defense this year.
 3 years ago '08        #10483
AC_89 148 heat pts148
space
space
$33,901 | Props total: 5652 5652
 s1eepyboy said:
@dj ac

Do not underestimate the bulls. They played great without him and he's had a year to heal...acl repairs get better every year so I don't expect him to injure it again. We will see tho, barring injuries...I expect bulls to be #1 seed or 2
Not underestimating them just don't think they'll be as good as everyone says
 3 years ago '04        #10484
space
space
Melo says he will recruit FAs to NYC: "When the time comes we’ll be working on that. I have a big black book. I have a big rolodex." #Knicks

Iman Shumpert practiced in full today. Mike Woodson said he will start at shooting guard tomorrow, as expected. #Knicks
 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM         #10485
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Didn't we pick up Shumpert's option this week?
 3 years ago '04        #10486
space
space
 Kitsch said:
Didn't we pick up Shumpert's option this week?
Of course
 3 years ago '04        #10487
space
space
Berman

Carmelo Anthony indicated Tuesday, on the eve of the Knicks season opener, that he will be trying to recruit players to play in New York more than looking to get recruited as a free agent.

TNT analysts Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith criticized Anthony for talking about leaving the Knicks, though he simply said he would like to experience free agency because he never has done so in his career.

Anthony was asked Tuesday after practice if he’s the type of guy who would be a magnet to woo players to play with him in New York. The Knicks could have major salary-cap space in 2015. That free-agent class includes Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Rajon Rondo, David West, Brook Lopez and LeBron James (if he doesn’t opt out of his contract after the 2013-14 season).

“I haven’t had a complaint yet in 10, 11 years in the NBA about playing with me,’’ Anthony said. “People would love to come to play in New York. When that comes, we’ll be working on that. I have a big black book, a big Rolodex. People talk about what’s going on with me in the offseason, [that] I should be getting people to come here. I am. I’m trying.’’

Barkley said Monday that Anthony “should be trying to get guys to come here and not [be] like, ‘I’ll stay here for a couple years.”’ Asked about Barkley’s remarks, Anthony said, “ I don’t listen to that guy.’’

Anthony has said he will exercise the opt-out clause in his contract to become a free agent, but to leave the Knicks he would be giving up about $33 million. Barring a Knicks collapse this season, it’s hard to imagine.
 3 years ago '05        #10488
s1eepyboy 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,235 | Props total: 1552 1552

[video - click to view]

3 - 1 STRK: 2 w in a row WIN PCT: 75% 121 (-7) 
  Career: | Aug 13: 94-60, Rank #50 | Aug 12: 34-21, Rank #101 | Aug 11: 41-32, Rank #129 | Aug 10: 89-44, Rank #86 *
 3 years ago '04        #10489
space
space
Berman

Raymond Felton played with deep bone bruises in each hand during the early section of last season and never missed a game — or a beat. As far as guys willing to play hurt, Felton is tops on the Knicks, though Metta World Peace could give him a run for his money.

Felton has a strained left hamstring, but it’s been largely ignored because he’s not one to jabber about it. He played last season on Christmas Day with what turned out to a broken pinkie. Broken in three places, he found out later.

Felton was yanked in the second half from the preseason game in Baltimore on Oct. 17 with a hamstring injury then sat out the next two contests. He played in a limited fashion in the preseason finale against the Bobcats on Friday.

The injury has not gone away. Hamstrings tend to be tricky.

“I can’t say I’m 100 percent,’’ Felton said after Tuesday’s practice. “But I’m good. I’m playing.’’

Felton made most fans forget about Linsanity last season, engineering a club with the lowest turnover rate in the league. But Felton wasn’t perfect. He struggled defensively against quicker point guards and was outplayed by Pacers’ George Hill in the Knicks’ second-round playoff exit. In the Game 6 clincher, Felton didn’t have a field goal.

Felton’s hamstring may not be a big issue in Wednesday’s season opener against young Bucks point guard Brandon Knight. Thursday’s quick turnaround for Game 2 in Chicago against Derrick Rose, out for blood after a so-so opener against the Heat, could get ugly.

It would not be surprising if the Knicks put Iman Shumpert on Rose on Thursday in a battle of players with repaired ACLs. (Shumpert is the Chicago guard whom President Obama didn’t welcome back from ACL surgery on Twitter.)

Felton and Shumpert saw little time together in the backcourt during preseason or last season. Felton played best alongside another point guard: either Jason Kidd or Pablo Prigioni. Scouts thought the Knicks’ ball movement was lacking in the preseason, and it is partly Felton’s job to make sure it does not stick. He has talked about being more of a leader this season.

Felton and Shumpert have yet to have enough time together to click as a tandem. Felton might prefers having Prigioni with him to create better ball movement.

“We could put two, maybe three different starting fives on the court,’’ Felton said. “That’s how good we are.’’

Felton doesn’t lack for confidence — in himself or the club.

“We still got pretty much the same team as last year,’’ Felton said. “We got all the depth, talent and leadership. [A title] is the ultimate goal for sure. That’s we’re working hard for.’’

As long as his hammy holds up.
 3 years ago '04        #10490
space
space
Berman

CHICAGO — After coming off the bench in the season opener, Andrea Bargnani was back in the starting lineup in the Knicks’ 82-81 loss to the Bulls Thursday night at United Center, away from the impatient Garden crowd, which booed him after he missed his first two shots.

Bargnani had a brutal first half Thursday, going scoreless and picking up three offensive fouls in the second quarter. But he settled down to finish 4 of 7 for nine points in 24:38. He did not play the final 9:43.

It was better than his Knicks debut at the Garden when he got booed.

Bargnani, who missed all four of his shots in the first half in the opener, said the fans have the right to boo. Bargnani was also booed in Toronto last season — leading to his exit.

“Absolutely,’’ Bargnani said. “I was missing shots. They were open shots. I got to keep taking them. I missed open shots. All I can do is keep taking them and keep working hard.’’

Bargnani had started all preseason and most of his career. Suddenly, coach Mike Woodson decided on yanking him from the starting lineup in favor of the successful two point-guard backcourt of last season — Raymond Felton and Pablo Prigioni in a small lineup — for the opener.

Thursday night, the two point-guard alignment was ditched.

“I don’t think rhythm is the reason if I’m starting or being off the bench,’’ Bargnani said. “I was very happy to be back on the court after all the months when I sat out with [an] injury [last year],’’

Bargnani said. “I was happy to play after all this time.’’

Bargnani said he wasn’t nervous in his first regular-season game as a Knick.

Amar’e Stoudemire made his season debut and struggled in the first half. He finished with five points on 2 of 3 shooting in 10:40. He’s on a 10-minute nightly limit.

Stoudemire checked in with 4:06 left in first quarter and the Knicks, down three, stumbled.

He bounced the ball off of his foot and out of bounds on his first foray, then committed an offensive foul setting a pick. Stoudemire was worse defending burly Carlos Boozer, who scored three times over Stoudemire. Finally Taj Gibson skied at the buzzer for a putback and the Knicks trailed by 10 after one.

Stoudemire was better in the second half, scoring on two post moves.

Point guard Raymond Felton (5-for-14, 13 points) said his strained left hamstring, which he first injured in preseason, could linger for more than a month.

“Hopefully it goes away,’’ Felton said before the contest with his left leg wrapped. “It could last two, three days but it could last up to six weeks. Hopefully one day I wake up and it’s gone. Right now it’s a nagging thing I have to deal with.’’
 3 years ago '04        #10491
space
space
Berman

CHICAGO — Carmelo Anthony, trying to quell those who have criticized him about touting his free agency, made his boldest statement yet about wanting to remain in orange and blue.

Speaking to the TNT crew before Thursday’s game, Anthony said, “I want to retire in New York, I mean, let’s just be quite frank.’’

Anthony had created something of a firestorm when he said he was definitely going to opt out of his contract because he “wanted to be a free agent.’’

“I think a lot of people jumped the gun when I said I wanted to be a free agent,” he said. “And yeah, I want people to come play in New York. I want them to want to play in New York. I want New York to be that place where guys want to come play.”

Anthony said this week he has a “big black book’’ to recruit free agents.

Anthony, however, has never been a free agent and indicated in preseason he’d like the experience of being courted. He also hinted the Lakers would be the only destination that would make sense for his lifestyle and status. Anthony could have been putting the Knicks on notice to ensure they continue trying to build a title-contending team.
 3 years ago '04        #10492
space
space
Berman

The overriding, obvious angle out of Thursday’s 82-81 Knicks heartbreaker to the Bulls was one superstar “rose’’ to the occasion and the other one didn’t.

Derrick Rose hit the gargantuan shot when it counted most for the game-winner and Carmelo Anthony answered with his fifth straight brick to finish the night 8 of 24. He had six steals but also four turnovers.

But there were plenty of other observations out of Chicago. Woodson seems to already trust his rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. in late-game situations more than Andrea Bargnani, who sat the final nine minutes after returning to the starting lineup.

On the floor in those finals seconds, with the Knicks needing a field goal to win, was Hardaway, not Bargnani. Hardaway has no fear. He took 13 shots in his father’s hometown, making four of them in 26:50 of action and finishing with 10 points. Of course, many of those minutes will go to J.R. Smith upon his return for the sixth game.

Interestingly, the Bulls took Tony Snell over Hardaway at No. 20. A lot of mock drafts had the Bulls taking Hardaway. Snell was a DNP on Thursday night.

Hardaway has his defensive lapses but shows great poise for a rookie. His proud agent, Chicago-based Mark Bartelstein, was on hand watching.

“I’m just reading what the defense gives you,’’ said Hardaway, who was 2 for 2 in the season-opening win over Milwaukee. “A lot of teams are focusing on Melo and Shump (Iman Shumpert) when he’s attacking. It’s just my job to take open shots.’’

And teams are leaving the Michigan product. ”I’m getting really good shots, trying to mix it up, going to the basket,” Hardaway said. “I’m trying to make plays. Do what I can do to help the team win. But defense is the key part of my game I’m trying to get better at.”

Meanwhile, the defense has been very solid for the first two games. The Knicks defended the heck out of Rose (7 of 23) even on the last play. Center Tyson Chandler has been a big reason. He had 19 rebounds vs. Chicago and has been all over the place in the first two games. It’s too bad he missed that one free throw with 10 seconds left and couldn’t control that last tip-in. He’s a far different player than late last season.

On the down side, Amar’e Stoudemire looked rusty in his season debut. His first half was poor – with two turnovers and a failure to defend Carlos Boozer. But he got a couple of inside buckets in the second half. He’s on a 10-minute limit now and only stands to get better. But one must wonder if this weird platoon system with Kenyon Martin will slow his chance of getting acclimated. Under the bizarre system, both players are expected to play Sunday vs. Minnesota since there are two days off between games.

Metta World Peace got a bit too c*cky Thursday, forgetting his role. He shot very well all preseason and in the opener. In Chicago, he rushed shots and had no touch – a 3-of-11 outing. But he had two steals and made two of four from 3-point land.

The Knicks are 1-1. They’ve been better than the record sounds.
 3 years ago '04        #10493
space
space
Berman

Knicks coach Mike Woodson admitted Amar’e Stoudemire was “rusty a little bit’’ in his season debut Thursday in Chicago.

The question is how long will it take for Stoudemire to shake off the rust, given Woodson’s bizarre power-forward platoon system with Kenyon Martin and a current 10-minute cap.

“They got to be patient with me and we got to make it work,’’ Woodson said. “The bottom line is, we need him in a uniform helping us. It will come.”

What’s certain is Stoudemire and Martin will rotate in back-to-back games as they did Wednesday and Thursday against the Bucks and Bulls.

Martin played against Milwaukee and Stoudemire played 10:40 in Chicago, where he scored five points but committed four fouls and three turnovers. His first play of the season was bouncing the ball off his foot on a post move — pure rust.

“I totally understand [the platoon],’’ Stoudemire said. “I hope you guys do too, so you don’t keep asking. With a couple of days off, both of us can play.’’

And what about a day between games?

“Not sure,’’ Stoudemire said. “It’s up to the coaching staff. I’m sure with a day off we’d be able to play and be ready to go.’’

Martin, who has chronic ankle issues, may not be as understanding. He said he didn’t mind the babying in preseason but said he’d “press the issue’’ if it continues in the regular season. Plus, Martin got in for just four minutes in the season opener.

Stoudemire, meanwhile, felt his first game went well as he scored on two nice low-post baskets in the second half, but had to be yanked because of his cap just as he was getting in a groove.

“I felt great, felt really good,” Stoudemire said. “I was very pleased with how I felt [Thursday] as far as my body. Just going to continue to keep building and getting better.

“It’s an adjustment period. It takes time to get used to the in-and-out play. My teammates have been very supportive to keep encouraging me and looking for me when I’m there.’’

Woodson is showing a lot of trust in rookie shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr., who had a confident game in Chicago, playing 26:50. He took 13 shots and made four, but was 2 of 6 from the 3-point line. He finished with 10 points. Hardaway was on the floor down the stretch, even on the final possession over Andrea Bargnani. Hardaway was 2-for-2 in the season opener.

“I’m getting really good shots, trying to mix it up, going to the basket,’’ Hardaway said. “I’m trying to make plays. Do what I can do to help the team win. But defense is the key part of my game I’m trying to get better at.’’

Although Carmelo Anthony said on TNT Thursday — and earlier in training camp on MSG Network — he wanted to “retire” a Knick, he wouldn’t repeat the sentiment after the loss to the Bulls, when he missed a potential game-winner.

“C’ mon, man, I just got finished playing a game,’’ Anthony said. “I said what I said. I believe that. That’s my goal. That’s what I want to do.’’
 3 years ago '04        #10494
space
space
Berman

Although Carmelo Anthony muffed his chance at becoming a Halloween hero Thursday night in Chicago, the Knicks departed the Windy City with a tailwind of confidence.

That’s largely because 7-foot-1 center Tyson Chandler may be primed for the type of season he had when he guided the Mavericks to the championship in 2011.

Even if Anthony isn’t yet playing at the level he was to begin last season, the Knicks (1-1) look to be in good position as they gear up for Sunday’s Garden match against the improved Timberwolves.

After taking the Bulls down to the final seconds in a heartbreaking 82-81 loss, the Knicks actually showed signs they could be as good if not better than last season’s 54-win club. In 2012-13, the Knicks couldn’t sniff a win against the Bulls, losing four straight times and getting outmuscled.

That didn’t happen Thursday, thanks to Chandler’s 19 rebounds, including eight on the offensive glass. The Knicks stood toe-to-toe with a Bulls team some general managers and experts project will topple the Heat and get out of the East, now that they have Derrick Rose back.

The Knicks didn’t have their potential starting shooting guard, J.R. Smith, who served the first two games of his five-contest marijuana suspension.

“We did it without a key piece in our offense,’’ Chandler said. “Once we implement [Smith] in, I see us as pretty dangerous.’’

The Knicks allowed 83 points to Milwaukee in their season-opening win — when Chandler had five blocks — and 82 to the Bulls, who were held to 11 fourth-quarter points. They defended Rose fiercely, even on his game-winning floater from the right baseline over a helping Chandler and point guard Raymond Felton.

“The way we played [Thursday], we’re going to win our share of games if we play like this,’’ Chandler said. “Top team, home opener, with all the energy, we were able to weather the storm and make a run at it in the end.’’

Chandler, who turned 31 during training camp last month, is eyeing this as his renaissance season. He has been outspoken about letting the team down in the playoffs last spring.

In fact, in Chandler’s two playoff appearances as a Knick, he has been under the weather. In the 2012 first-round series against Miami, he contracted the flu before Game 1 and couldn’t shake it.

Down the stretch last season, Chandler missed 16 of the final 20 regular-season games to rest a strained ligament in his neck. During his time away from the team, he contracted strep throat from his daughter and lost 12 pounds entering the playoffs.

Without his usual strength, stamina or energy, Chandler was obliterated by the Pacers’ Roy Hibbert during the second round series. He also was seen more as complainer than leader, criticizing the offense for a lack of ball movement, believed to be pinning it on Smith. His mission is to atone for last spring’s sins.

“I’m getting back to where I was the first year I came here,’’ Chandler said Thursday night. “[I’m] getting blocks of late. But I just want to alter shots when the opportunity presents itself.

“I feel good now, physically. I feel a lot stronger, explosive, really attacking the offensive glass to give my team second chances as well as controlling the paint.’’

A defensive coach, Mike Woodson realizes Chandler’s value is as great as Anthony’s.

“He has a lot of his pop back,’’ Woodson said of Chandler. “In terms of his movement and rebounding and blocking shots, it was great to see him play like that. He’s going to have to be that way every time we step out on the floor.’’

In an intriguing workout video, Chandler said to haunting background music: “I have a sour taste in my mouth from last season. I feel I left something on the table personally. You take it into summer and use it as motivation. There’s no offseason for me because there’s always someone else working.

“Honestly, I never felt I accomplished my goals. Ultimately my goal is to win a championship in New York. I’ve got a long ways to go and I have to be physically and mentally ready to go the distance. That’s what drives me every day.”

So far, Chandler is living up to his video.
 3 years ago '04        #10495
space
space
RealGM.com

Ricky Davis was drafted in the sixth round of the NBA D-League draft by the Erie BayHawks.

Erie is the D-League affiliate of the New York Knicks, who reportedly worked out Davis in the offseason.

Davis played 12 seasons in the NBA, his last campaign coming in 2009-10.
 3 years ago '04        #10496
space
space
Ohm Youngmisuk

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Carmelo Anthony has been second-guessing himself and believes he has been a "bit passive" in fourth quarters so far this season.

Anthony has scored a combined 15 points and has no free-throw attempts in the Knicks' three fourth quarters so far. The reigning NBA scoring champion has been preoccupied with trying to mesh with new teammates and adjust to lineups -- and it has him perhaps thinking too much.

"For myself, maybe I'm second-guessing myself as well," Anthony said Monday after the Knicks' practice. "Maybe I'm a little bit passive out there, trying to do things that's out of the norm and trying to make people better at the wrong times.

"That's where I'm second-guessing myself. And I'm second-guessing my shot, and should I take this or should I pass this. I got to get out of that mentality quick."

The Knicks (1-2) certainly have a variety of issues to sort through, from turnovers to ball movement, shot selection and lineups.

In fourth quarters this season, Anthony has shot 7-for-22, 1-for-5 from behind the arc and has a total of 15 points and 11 rebounds. Even more eye-opening is the fact that Anthony has yet to go to the line in the final quarter.

During a tight fourth quarter in the Knicks' 82-81 loss to the Chicago Bulls last week, Anthony missed 5-of-7 shots, all the missed attempts coming in the final 3:22. That included a potential game-winning shot just inside the 3-point line with two seconds remaining.

During Sunday's 109-100 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Knicks sliced a 25-point deficit to two with 4:49 remaining. But Anthony, who had 22 points and 17 rebounds, missed his last three shots and had a turnover.

Anthony has been trying to adjust to new additions like Andrea Bargnani, Metta World Peace and rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. while not having the suspended J.R. Smith on the floor.

"We got new faces on this team," Knicks coach Mike Woodson said. "I am not putting it all on Melo.

"Melo is a big part of what we do here, and he has been great at it. I think at times he might be trying to make sure everybody is involved and being a part of it, and that is OK too. That is not getting us beat."

The Knicks have had 53 turnovers and are shooting just 30 percent from behind the 3-point line. Woodson wants to see his team take care of the ball and improve its shot selection.

"I think we're out there thinking too much, second-guessing ourselves out there," Anthony said. "When you do that, you're going to make mistakes, you're going to turn the basketball over. You see the difference when we're out there just playing basketball, and just having fun, going with our gut, going with our instinct –- it's night and day out there on the basketball court."

Anthony a.ssured everyone on Sunday that he's fully confident his shot -- and the Knicks' offense -- will be fine. It may just take a few days.

"That time will come," he said. "We'll just take it one day at a time, that day will come. [We'll] learn from this and move on."
 3 years ago '04        #10497
space
space
NYK acquired Jeremy Tyler's D-League rights
 3 years ago '04        #10498
space
space
Frank Isola

We know of at least one person taking James Dolan seriously when the boss says he expects the Knicks to win the NBA championship this year.

That person? Well of course, James Dolan.

The media-shy chairman of Madison Square Garden was conspicuously missing from his baseline seat during most of the second quarter of Sunday’s lethargic loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves. And for good reason.

According to several sources, Dolan was ready to erupt after the Knicks surrendered 40 first-quarter points and as the deficit ballooned to 23 Dolan went hunting for Steve Mills, the team’s new president and general manager.

That Mills isn’t responsible for either the roster or the coaching staff didn’t matter. With Dolan the facts rarely matter. The boss needed to vent and found Mills in a suite.

That’s one of the perks of being the boss. You get to a.ssign blame to whomever you choose. So on this night, it was left to Mills to talk Dolan down from the MSG Chase Bridge.

On the one hand, I applaud Dolan for being appalled. It’s nice to know someone in a position of power found the Knicks’ performance unacceptable.

Dolan could have easily just sat there on Sunday yukking it up with the actress seated to his left, “Saturday Night Live” alum Kristen Wiig. (In the final preseason game, Dolan’s guest was actress Olivia Munn. That’s another perk of being the boss.) Dolan, though, wants results and he wants them now.

“There’s no need to panic,” Carmelo Anthony said on Monday. “It’s three games into the season. We’re still trying to figure a lot of things out.”

That’s easy for Melo to say. He’s one of Dolan’s guys and he has the contract to prove it. Dolan hasn’t and may never call his franchise player on the carpet.

Mills is another story. He knows Dolan means business — as does Mike Woodson, who in early October was in the room when Dolan delivered his win-now edict to the head coach and his staff.

Being the Knicks coach under Dolan has never been a walk in the park, but it’s especially difficult now with Dolan expecting a championship. Perhaps the only group that has it worse than Woodson’s staff is — and I can’t believe I’m typing this — the Knicks City Dancers.

Dolan has become such a hands-on owner — figuratively speaking — that, according to a source, he doesn’t want the dancers dancing. Crazy, right? The same guy who wanted creative input on the dancers’ outfits (and he’s good at it) apparently ordered that the girls’ roles be reduced to mostly throwing T-shirts into the crowd. They performed maybe one routine on Sunday.

Why? No one seems to know, except the standard answer is usually “that’s Dolan.”

And this is where I draw the line. Be upset all you want at the players for underperforming. But the dancers?

The KCD’s have been the model of fitness, enthusiasm and execution for two decades. The Knicks? They’ve had one good season out of the last 13.

And maybe that’s what is driving Dolan to drive everyone else crazy. He tasted a little bit of success last season — 54 wins, finally winning a playoff series — and he doesn’t want to go back.

The loss to Minnesota left the Knicks with a 1-2 record heading into Tuesday’s home game against Charlotte. Dolan’s basketball team hadn’t had a losing record since March 24, 2012.

Sure, it’s a modest run but it’s better than the alternative. And Dolan doesn’t want to experience losing anymore.

When the fans say things like “sense of urgency” and “sending a message,” that’s what Dolan is giving you on a nightly basis.

Is he really asking too much to expect his expensive roster to do the same?

This is Dolan like we’ve never heard him before. One minute he’s talking NBA title like a modern-day Red Auerbach and the next he is messing with the game-night entertainment like he’s Fred Astaire.

And it’s only Game No. 3, for crying out loud! Can he really keep up this pace all season, or at least until J.R. Smith’s drug suspension ends on Sunday?

I know those around Dolan wouldn’t dare say this to his face, but he needs to be patient. It will be good for his health and the health of the team in general.

Let’s wait on J.R., give Andrea Bargnani a chance to learn a new system and new teammates, while Woodson deserves a grace period to figure out a rotation.

And in the meantime, bring out the dancing girls. Please.
 3 years ago '04        #10499
space
space
Berman

The Knicks have sorely missed the 2012-13 version of J.R. Smith during their 1-2 start, but their sixth man sees his five-game pot suspension as a blessing in disguise, giving him more time to shake off the rust from his knee rehab.

During Tuesday’s practice, Smith was the last one off the court, doing intense halfcourt and shooting drills while his teammates were in the locker room showering. Smith isn’t allowed in the arena during games.

After undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus and chipped patella tendon in mid-July, Smith played no basketball until October. He missed the entire preseason until the final game. His season debut will take place Sunday versus San Antonio, after he misses the home-and-home pair with Charlotte.

“It worked out kind of good, getting healthier, getting my mechanics down, focused on the knee getting to 100 percent as much as I can,’’ Smith said. “I’m trying to look at it in a positive way, getting more time to practice and prepare.‘’

Carmelo Anthony has looked like a lost puppy without Smith by his side. Smith has watched the three games at his home in Manhattan after being suspended under the NBA’s drug policy for failing three marijuana tests.

“I’m home, watching, observing, waiting for my turn,’’ Smith said. “I definitely see how much they missed me, but I’m just one person. It’s still a collective team effort and we’re just turning the ball over too much.’’

Mike Woodson has talked about starting Smith this season at shooting guard, but it appears likely he will at the outset come off the bench in last season’s role. So far, rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. has filled Smith’s sixth-man role.

“I’m ready. Whenever coach calls my name Sunday, I’ll be ready,’’ Smith said. “I wanted to play game 1, but unfortunately had to sit it out.’’

The NBA was slated to have an independent doctor examine Smith before the season opener to ensure he was healthy so the clock could start ticking on his suspension. However, Smith played the preseason finale and the NBA decided to “waive’’ the physical, according to Smith.

Though the big frontcourt starting lineup is 0-2, Woodson said he will go with Andrea Bargnani for a third straight game as starting power forward. The Knicks fell behind the Timberwolves 40-19 after the first quarter Sunday night. Bargnani left for Hardaway with 4:29 left in the period and the Knicks down just five.

“I can’t blame it on Andrea,’’ Woodson said. “I think that lineup, he’s getting more comfortable. We just haven’t played him a lot of minutes. Maybe I’m hardheaded but I want to see what it looks like.’’

On Tuesday night, ESPN will debut its “30 for 30” documentary, “The Bernie and Ernie Show,’’ profiling the all-New York tandem of Hall of Famer Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld, both former Knicks who first teamed up at the University of Tennessee. The documentary depicts the racial bigotry King endured in college which he never shared with Grunfeld. The duo combined for 50 points per game for the Vols on their way to a spot on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

MSG Network will debut a new season of its “Beginnings’’ series with a look at Raymond Felton Tuesday at 11 p.m. … The Bobcats are coached by former Knicks a.ssistant Steve Clifford, Adelphi’s former coach. Knicks legend Patrick Ewing is one of his a.ssistants.
 3 years ago '08        #10500
AC_89 148 heat pts148
space
space
$33,901 | Props total: 5652 5652
If we lose to the bobcats
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 7 - Japanese Youth Have Found a Way To Marry a Person Without Dating
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
64 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
275 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - ‘Scumbag’: Internet attacks Santorum for telling Dreamer to lea..
119 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Air Jordan 11 Space Jam On Feet
32 comments
22 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
184 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Nintendo shows off Super Mario Run & Nintendo Switch on Tonight Show
55 comments
23 hours ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy